Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) is a chronic pain condition in which high levels of nerve impulses travel to the affected area of the body. Complex regional pain syndrome is also called reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome.
The symptoms and signs of CRPS can vary in their severity and length. Associated symptoms include continuous, intense pain that gets worse over time. The pain may seem out of proportion to the severity of the injury or cause of the pain. Other signs and symptoms of CRPS may include burning pain, joint swelling, joint stiffness, problems moving the affected area, changes in hair growth, and changes in skin temperature.
Causes of complex regional pain syndrome
The cause of CRPS is not well understood and may result from a mixture of different factors such as abnormal responsiveness to nerve signals.
Other complex regional pain syndrome symptoms and signs
- Abnormal Posture (Dystonia)
- Abnormal Sweating in Affected Area
- Burning Pain
- Changes in Hair Growth and Nail Patterns
- Changes in Skin Temperature
- Intense Pain That Gets Worse With Time
- Loss of Muscle
- Motor Disability
- Muscle Spasms
- Pins and Needles Sensation
- Stress Worsens Signs and Symptoms
- Stiffness and Swelling in Certain Joints
- Tremors in Affected Limb
Main Article on Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Nerve Pain: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment Options
Learn about nerve pain symptoms, causes, and treatment options. Discover medications and natural remedies to relieve nerve pain.
Pain Management: 15 Easy Ways to Reduce Chronic Pain
Chronic pain can be a symptom of many conditions, including arthritis, headaches, and others. Comprehensive chronic pain...
Pain Management: Surprising Causes of Pain
What's causing your pain? Learn the common causes of lower back pain, as well as pain in the knee, stomach, kidney, shoulder,...
Pain Quiz: Test Your IQ of Pain
Is pain all in the brain? Take the Pain Quiz to learn everything you've ever wanted to know about the unpleasant sensation we...
Examples of Medications for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Symptoms and Signs
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- fentanyl injection (Sublimaze)
- fentanyl lozenge - buccal, Actiq
- fentanyl patch (Duragesic)
- fentanyl tablet - buccal, Fentora
- Flector Patch (diclofenac epolamine)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- lidocaine - topical, Lidamantle, Xylocaine
- lidocaine patch (Lidoderm)
- methylprednisolone (Medrol)
- morphine high potency injection (Astramorph, Duramorph, Infumorph, AVINza)
- Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- nortriptyline (Pamelor)
- onabotulinumtoxinA, Botox, Botox Cosmetic
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- OxyContin (oxycodone)
- Percodan (aspirin and oxycodone hydrochloride)
- prednisolone (Orapred, Pediapred)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter