Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Marc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I developed Guillain-Barre symptoms after flu vaccination in November 2016. I still have all symptoms 10 months later. I was not paralyzed, but suffered muscle weakness, soreness in all extremities, lack of feeling in feet, and difficulty walking. I exercise very often and am gaining muscle strength, but still nothing much improved including lack of concentration and irritability. Hopeful I will improve sufficiently to be able to resume some employment and again able to drive a car, although my neurologist says maybe 6 to 8 more months.

Comment from: tawcqt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have had three colonoscopy procedures and will never do it again! I have had been sick every time I did it. The preparation is the worst! The prep medicines make me violently ill. Add to that the liquid diet and I feel miserable for three days! The bloating feeling afterwards lasted from Friday until Monday morning, so it is pretty much 5 days of misery.

Comment from: mel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I literally just got home from having my colonoscopy. I was terrified for 3days. I followed the directions for preparation to a tee; white food 2 days before, no food and only clear fluids the day before and then in I went at 7.30 am. The PicoPrep did not work fast on me but the Glycoprep-C (the flagon of it) worked a treat. When I went in I was worried it was not all gone from my system so the doctor said he would suck it all out. I was upset they didn't have modesty shorts (would have tidied myself up a bit if I had known). The nurse said she would look into getting them. Anyway, once I was on the bed and cannula in, they put propofol in and I was out. The next minute I woke up and the nurses said it was all over and I had been in recovery for 20 minutes. The doctor came in after they gave me food and said it was all good. No gas in my tummy; happy about that too. They sent me home in a taxi and all the waiting patients were happy to see me out so quickly. No dramas or pain.

Comment from: Chase W., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I didn't experience a rash or even muscle aches. The only thing I felt was severe headaches that got even worse than migraines. They got so bad that they were debilitating and it hurt to even nod. One night I went to the hospital because it got so bad, and my blood pressure was 170/98 because of the pain. They did a tick panel and found Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

Comment from: danpa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy tomorrow and was given the preparation of 236 grams of Miralax to be mixed in two 32 oz bottles of Gatorade, 4 Dulcolax tablets, and 5 oz magnesium sulfate. I am to take the Dulcolax at 4 pm, drink one bottle of Gatorade mixture at 6 pm over an hour, and then the 5 oz of magnesium sulfate. The next morning at 6 am I am supposed to drink the other bottle of Gatorade mixture (the day of the test at 1 pm. My doctor told me to make sure I drink at least 64 oz of water every day and since my colonoscopy is on a Monday I should start eating only food that I could eat without teeth (i.e. mashed potatoes, pudding, Jell-O, and noodles in broth) on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with only clear liquids on Sunday and nothing after 10 am on Monday. He says that eliminates the awful diarrhea and you just have liquids expelling Sunday night and Monday morning. My problem is I have either hemorrhoids or a polyp or tumor block my anus and not even water can get through.

Comment from: Sla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

The prep to colonoscopy is unbelievably horrible. By far worse than I thought. I will never do another one of these again, it is dreadful. I have a sore anus, up all night in the toilet. Why does it have to be torture!

Comment from: alyce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I have had many colonoscopies done. The worst was when I was 48. That GoLytely was the one of the worst. Well, fast forward. I used PEG 3350, not bad. One time, with the GoLytely, nothing happened until the morning. This usually starts about an hour after the last dose for me. To, the person who said they would never do it, colon cancer is 90 per cent curable if caught early. I just had to have my colonoscopy; a year earlier the doctor found a polyp he could not remove so I had to see a different doctor. I got it done today.

Comment from: Venusgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I just had my first colonoscopy. I had liquid diet the day before, no problem, I was not hungry. I drank only half the prep solution, but knew I had drunk enough as I monitored stools and color. I found a big problem in my procedure, some type of mass, could be cancer, not sure, results will come in tomorrow. Hoping for the best! Meanwhile I am on hemp and black seed oil, keeping active and positive. Not ready for the other side quite yet! Wish I had done this procedure when I was 60.

Comment from: KB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have hypothyroidism going on 20 plus years. I was diagnosed due to a goiter of 1.5 cm. I took levothyroxine for years with no problem. Lately, I had the feeling of something stuck in my throat, just above the spot where the collar bones meet. Not painful, but an annoying pressure that is constant. The doctor had me go in for an ultrasound today to look at the size of the thyroid, and see if there are nodes. They will also check the lymph nodes in the area; if swollen I go back for a biopsy. I like that others share on this site; it is a difficult disease at times and support is always helpful. Thank you.

Comment from: Granny J, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

After my first colonoscopy I learned quickly that before starting your preparation you need to use plenty of Vaseline or a thick paste because the acid will scald your skin. The doctors do not give you this little information, but believe me, do it.

Comment from: ninjakitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I currently have blisters and a bright red rash from a staph infection. I haven't slept in over 24 hours because of the itching and burning. It is worse at night despite Benadryl and a prescription strength antihistamine. The clindamycin makes it worse as well as gives me nausea.

Comment from: Jackie704, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I recently had a colonoscopy. I am a 66 year old woman. I had severe constipation problems when I was younger. At the age of 25 years old, one night I ended up in the emergency hospital with impacted bowels. After that I underwent a barium enema test and a proctoscopy test. The results of the proctoscopy was that I had more footage of intestines than a normal person. To prepare for my colonoscopy I received a prescription, a 4 liter empty plastic container which contained TriLyte which had to be mixed with water the day before. I was instructed to begin drinking 8 ounces of this liquid beginning at 6:00 pm the night before every 15 minutes. I alternated the instructions, I began drinking at 11:00 am that morning and consumed 8 ounces every hour and I also drank in between ten ounce bottles of magnesium citrate. I also in between drank cups of plain water. My bowels started moving at 5:00 pm. I was glad I started ahead of time. I could not imagine drinking that horrible liquid every 15 minutes. My colonoscopy went fine. I was cleaned out and it was a relief to get it over with.

Comment from: BRIGHTSPARK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I had colonoscopy last Saturday. The preparation solution was the worst; 2 liters to drink of a lemony solution but I got it down. Going to the loo constantly to empty bowel was hard and I had a sore anus (sorry). I developed bad migraine and felt sick due to lack of water and food before the operation so was getting very stressed out. I was waiting in my gown for two hours with migraine. Eventually they did it. I was sedated, was conscience of people talking and the tube going in which did not hurt. All I remember is them saying it was finished after that and having a big crampy feeling in my abdomen and a load of gas afterwards. I was aware of being wheeled back into recovery room where I was promptly sick after trying to eat a bit of toast. I believe this was due to getting stressed before and them giving me paracetamol. However, with sedation the procedure was very quick and didn't hurt. I am surprised if people have been sedated and are saying they were in agony.

Comment from: frank, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was fishing in Exmouth Gulf in Western Australia and got stung by a stingray in my left ankle. The barb went in about 2 inches and initially I thought it was a shark. There was heaps of blood so I got out of the water as soon as possible. It took about ten minutes to get back to camp and while boiling the Billy the pain was unlike any I ever had experienced. But as soon as I put my foot into hot water it eased. After about an hour I removed my foot from bucket and had a shave (fresh water was scarce so thought I would use it). Four days later we went into town and saw the doctor. They gave me antibiotics in a drip and next morning I drove home. I got there late and had more antibiotics in a drip. I had a week of pills since and they run out tomorrow. The wound is getting bigger and a little painful so will go back to the doctor in the morning. We'll see what happens.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I read somewhere on the web that I could eat gummy bears before the colonoscopy exam because they digest. Wrong! I watched the screen and was awake during the exam and saw the little tiny yellow specks in my colon that the doctor had to wash away with water. I used a straw and had the liquid ice cold when I drank it for preparation. Keep the straw way back behind the taste buds. It was easy. One good news is at 52 they found no polyps. Good Luck with your test!

Comment from: Alyssa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was at my boyfriend's house and stepped on a piece of plastic that had two industrial size staples through it and it went about a half inch into my heel and caused the puncture wound.

Comment from: dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

The worst part of colonoscopy is the preparation beforehand. You have to take two liters of Miralax mix and water; you feel sick but if you tolerate it, it is not too bad. The day of the procedure I was nervous but when you have the sedation it is ok. You don't know when they insert the camera or when they are finished, I must have dozed off half way through but kept looking at the camera. You feel sleepy after, but wait in recovery for 30 minutes and then you are ok. You then have toast and tea, and wait for your lift home. All in all I am glad it's over.

Comment from: Marge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I am preparing for my 2nd colonoscopy today. What I cannot understand is the amount of prep stuff they have you take. The bottle of Miralax states it is 14 days of treatments that I'm to consume in a couple of hours. Dulcolax box says take 1 per day and I have to take 3 with the stuff above. It doesn't matter if you weigh 90 pounds or 500 pounds, the prep is the same which is ridiculous. Last time I had this done I ended up dehydrated from taking so much which resulted in me being a pin cushion while they tried my hands, arms, legs and feet trying to find a place where they could get the IV to go in. I'm dreading prep today for tomorrow's test and am considering not taking as much as they say.

Comment from: banjo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I just got done with the prep work for colonoscopy. I am having my colonoscopy in the morning. The key is to eat light 2 days before. I've only been on the toilet 12 light times. It is all clear and I feel good. I mixed my Miralax with apple juice. I have been drinking warm beef and chicken broth, I think it makes things flow smooth. Good luck to all.

Comment from: macneill61, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I did away with all those preparations. I get a colonic the day before and just don"t eat till after my colonoscopy the next morning. I've been doing this for years with no problems.

Comment from: Toronto55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was prescribed Klean-Prep for my colonoscopy last month (December, 2013) but instead went with Purg-Odan, a generic substitute for Pico-Salax. Two 5 oz. glasses of the citrus tasting powder mixed with water (tip: refrigerate mixture for a few min. before chugging), then your choice of clears for the remainder of the preparation time - believe me, when volume is the thing, so is variety! While I checked with my doctor first about changing to Purg-Odan and it was given the thumbs up, the nurse confided they don't prescribe it as a rule because the milder version (Pico-Salax or Purg-Odan) doesn't work for everyone. Meaning - be your own best friend and reduce your heavy meat and carb intake for a couple/few days prior to this so it doesn't have to do so much heavy lifting and you'll spare yourself having to drink hideous volumes of the same mixture (no variety with Klean-Prep) then suffer the industrial-strength consequences. My "cleanse" was not the nightmare I'd read about and I opted to be sedated for the test itself so it was kind of a non-event. And now I am good for another 10 years without fear of the next one.

Comment from: Never again!, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I had an allergic reaction to the prep and they were not able to do the colonoscopy. The prep involved consuming 238g of Miralax dissolved in 64 ounces of Gatorade at the rate of 8oz every 15 minutes. What they don't tell you is that some people can have an allergic reaction to this drug, especially taken in such a large quantity. Probably most of us have never used Miralax and certainly not that much at one time, so we don't realize the risk until it is too late. I didn't. Nor did I realize that the polyethylene glycol used in this drug is used in many other products I am allergic to.

Comment from: MEF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

With a family history of CC (colon cancer), I had my 7th colonoscopy yesterday. My first one was with medication, and all the rest without. I have a very long colon so they have to manipulate my stomach at times to get the extra length needed to see the entire colon. However, it is not nearly as painful as I am reading. I am there 1/2 hour before, about 45 minutes for the procedure, in particular when removing polyps, then I dress, talk to the doctor and drive home. Pico-Salax is the easiest prep and if you eat carefully starting two days before the procedure and drink liquids, including Boost type products the day before, even the preparation is relatively painless. My understanding is that 98% of British people have a colonoscopy without medication. Once I read that, I decided to try it as well. If you do it without medication, you will never go back to IVs, nausea, not knowing what is going on, and needing to be driven around. The pain is not excruciating. So you groan a bit once in a while.

Comment from: Bekah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I used Suprep in preparation for my colonoscopy. I found it easiest to tolerate using very cold water and a straw. I'm just glad there wasn't a whole gallon of it to drink, just 16 oz. The things I got to make the prep more pleasant are: Depends (they were a godsend as they keep any accidents you might have less messy than if you didn't have them), flushable wet wipes (so much less irritating than toilet paper), Boudreaux's butt paste (to apply before starting my prep and after every BM (bowel movement), it kept me from getting sore). I also stopped eating meat five days before my procedure, I stuck to eating soft, easily digested food, which meant less to purge from your bowels. The actual colonoscopy was a breeze, the prep was unpleasant, but not unbearable.

Comment from: trkaren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have just returned from my colonoscopy, the second one I have ever had. The most pain I felt was the IV needle prick. I was very anxious about the prep and obsessed on how to best handle it for the past week. Having had an awful experience years ago with a warm, salty mix that I had to take I was fearful. I put myself on a low residue diet 3 days prior to this test, and did not eat any meat or fish. A liquid diet on prep day was easy. I mixed my Miralax with two different bottles/flavors of Gatorade as directed. I took my Ducolax and waited. I had no results until I started the Miralax. I found freezing paper cups until slushy gave me an option to use a spoon when drinking was getting tiresome. I sucked on Jolly Ranchers if I felt queasy. I did not have awful stomach cramps. The process took 3 hours to start and didn't stop (enough to sleep for another 6 hours). I still had to use the bathroom before my 8 am procedure. Use diaper cream before you start, baby wipes, and soft toilet paper. You will be fine and it will be over. Good hydration on prep day seemed to prevent a headache, and being a migraine sufferer that is essential.

Comment from: ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have had three colonoscopies and each time I've had the GoLytely and each time I'm told to start drinking at 6 whether it is evening or in the morning. I'm having my fourth tomorrow and was wondering why it is always at 6.

Comment from: Ellen, Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I did my first colonoscopy two weeks ago. It was not as bad I thought it would be. Do the low fiber diet 2 or 3 days before the preparation. I was totally put out. So glad I did it. I had cervical cancer two years ago and doing preventive cancer screening. There are so many different types of cancers in my family.

Comment from: Melinda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I'm 46 years old and going for my first colonoscopy in the morning at 8:15. I'm doing the preparation as I type. This stuff is nasty but I'm worried about pain or being put under. I'm doing this because my brother passed from colon cancer two years ago at age 44.

Comment from: pennycat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had my first colonoscopy recently, at age 51. The preparation was not pleasant, mostly due to the liquid diet the day before, and the horrible tasting stuff you have to drink. I found that holding one's nose while drinking it helps. Just push yourself through it! I didn't suffer any cramps. The procedure itself, for me, was painless. I had three polyps removed, but no aftereffects, except one strange one, amnesia! According to my husband, I woke up in the recovery room and chatted with him, and was very polite to the staff. He helped me dress, and drove me home. I have no memory of any of it! Pretty weird, but sort of funny, too. Now that I've been through it, I won't be so nervous the second time. My condolences to anyone who has had a bad experience, however.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had my first colonoscopy today. I was a wreck the entire week, for absolutely nothing. The preparation was a breeze (Prepopik), fantastic. I was sedated with propofol and anti-nausea medication. It was done in 20 minutes and on my way home 30 minutes post procedure. I slept most of the day and drank lots of water. Don't let others' experiences frighten you, not everyone is the same. Key is a good gastroenterologist. Good luck!

Comment from: wilbur50, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

Well, I'm at that magical age of 50. I've been having lower left quadrant pain for 3 years, plus pain and losing weight all at the same time. Three years ago I saw a gastroenterologist and he said that I wasn't old enough yet to get this exam done. I was reading then that if you have these symptoms that they automatically do the scope. I couldn't tell them anything. So after years of pain and bloating and losing weight I got tired of it and saw a gastroenterologist here where I live. Well, they are going to do colonoscopy plus do another scope down my throat. Well I start my preparation this Sunday, 4 tablets of the Duralax and 64 oz. of that powder. I'm a little scared as my sister had this done and she woke up during this, of course they knocked her back out but she remembered. I will get back to you all after Monday.

Comment from: Browniequeen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I just finished taking 2 Dulcolax and 64 ounces of G2 orange Gatorade. Tips - use straw, make it cold so no taste, but just feel full. So I walked lots and it makes it better waiting for it to hit! Good luck, this is so much better than last preparation for colonoscopy.

Comment from: Kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I prepped for the colonoscopy starting at 3 o' clock in the afternoon. I started with four Dulcolax pills. At 5 I started drinking the Gatorade with Miralax. By 7 I was having cold sweats so bad I couldn't sit on the toilet. I did that 3 different times. I just had to lay in the floor, cover up with towels until it passed. I wished I could die! I hope I never have to go through this again!

Comment from: realwoozie, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 14

I had my first colonoscopy done. I of course was petrified. Three days before preparation started, I ate very light. By the day of prep it was not bad at all. If you eat light, the prep is very gentle to your system.

Comment from: CJC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had my first-ever colonoscopy for screening in April of 2013. I must say that the worst thing about it (besides the magnesium citrate prep) was reading all the horror stories, along with the anxiety and fear they caused, on various websites for a week before the procedure. I nearly cancelled my appointment because of all the terrible stories. I showed up at the surgi-center very scared and nervous, but the nurses were very understanding and kind. They even injected something to numb the site on my hand for the IV. I admitted to the nurses and the doctor that I am a big baby and did not want to be awake or aware of anything and that I had read all sorts of horror stories. After getting me into position for the procedure, I heard the doctor tell the nurse to "give her 25 and 5.” I watched her put the meds into my IV, closed my eyes and thought "if I close my eyes they will think I am out already," so I opened my eyes back up. The doctor looked at me and told the nurse to give me another “25 and 5.” And that's all I remember until I woke up in recovery. No pain and no problems. I don't have to have another one for 10 years. So, the best advice I can give is to stick with the better-known medical websites for advice, and to let your nurses and doctor know of your fears and concerns. And don't close your eyes until the meds do it for you.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 06

Instead of mixing the prep solution all at once. We made a fresh glass each time. Thus, instead of making 64 ounces of the liquid at once. We made 8 ounces. 8 different times. In a fresh glass with fresh ice cubes and fresh, chilled water. We could have changed the liquid each time, but chose to stick with Gatorade. Perhaps the result was all psychological, but that's no small thing in this process. Instead of staring at 64 ounces, sitting in a big pitcher. We started afresh with each glass. The doctor had no problem with our method and the solution worked just as it was supposed to.

Comment from: cjbcheer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I am going through the prep part right now (11-2-11). I have taken 4 ducolax laxatives and as soon as i had a bowel movement i started drinking the go lightly mix the doc prescribed. I am 3/4th done with it and WOW it sure is working! About halfway way through the gallon I have to drink I vomited because no one told me I shouldn't have eaten this morning. I would have to say though it doesn't taste that bad, just like water with a little salt flavor but if you drink it fast it's not bad and the best part is that i have no stomach pain or cramps like i thought i would. Hopefully everything goes well tomorrow.

Comment from: Kimberly A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had my colonoscopy this morning. Although I was not looking forward to the prep, it was relatively easy. I had no solid foods the day before, only green jello, chicken broth and lots of liquid. The last time I had a colonoscopy I did not drink enough fluids and was dehydrated. My prep consisted of 2 Dulcolax pills at 2pm, followed by the 238mg Miralax mixture in 64 ounces of orange Gatorade starting at 4pm. You drink 8 ozs of this every 10-15mins. I started to feel the effects midway through. Right before my last cup, I vomited half of the mixture, so had to have my SO get more Miralax and a 32 oz bottle of Gatorade. I tolerated it better this time. At 8pm I had to take the second dose of 2 Dulcolax pills. This whole process involved very little cramping, but I was in the bathroom all night long. Had my colonoscopy at 7:30am this morning and all is fine. I slept through the whole thing. The hardest part of today's procedure is the IV they stick in your hand. Not so pleasant. I'm glad it's over. While it's not fun, it is a necessary precaution. And the prep was MUCH better than the one I had 7 years ago.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I was to take a solution that dissolves in a liquid for two weeks prior twice a day. After a few days I started to get sick after every meal with constant stomach aches. I started two days before with 2 Dulcolax and had severe cramping 5 hours later. I was supposed to take 2 more the day before but didn't due to the last experience. The night before and right now (it's in 6 hours) I'm doing the drinking prep with the dissolving solution every 15 minutes. The day before was clear fluids. I was surprised at what I could drink for clear fluids. I'm still hungry though. I will also take 2 chewable pills.

Comment from: tu09, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I just had my colonoscopy done today. The absolute worst part was the prep, and the best way to deal with it is energy drinks. The solution they make you drink is disgusting, but believe me when I say it works as noted, even if you have nothing in your system it will work. Big advice is to not use the flavor packs, as I found the flavors made me nauseous. The procedure went as described, I was put to sleep woke up, and it was all over. I had a few biopsies taken and am currently dealing with tons of bloating, constipation and light bleeding. It's sad to read some of these horror stories, but believe me when I say it's not that bad and the prep really is the worst part.

Comment from: Norton, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I can't believe that doctors are not prescribing Pico-Salax preparation for a colonoscopy! It is much easier to tolerate than other preparations and works very well.

Comment from: Sarnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I was supposed to have my colonoscopy yesterday, took the preparation as instructed; nothing, no bowel movement. I became extremely poorly. The doctor sent me to hospital, I was vomiting extremely bad, and had terrible pain. I have diverticulitis. They said my bowel stopped working. I will never go through that again. I'm having a CT scan.

Comment from: Eric Lucas, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I took Miralax 238 mg bottle and 4 x 5 gram Dulcolax before colonoscopy which is the perfect dose for me, a 6 ft. 4 inch, and 297 lb. male!

Comment from: Admiral, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

The worst part of the preparation for colonoscopy was drinking what tasted to me like badly flavored cough syrup. I don't understand why we can send someone to the moon but not make that stuff palatable.

Comment from: Swampdweller, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I fractured my ankle during my preparation for colonoscopy. After sitting on the throne for a very long time, my left foot went to sleep. Not realizing this, when I stood up I twisted my ankle. It was very painful, but because of my ongoing preparation I couldn"t seek medical assistance. Today after my colonoscopy I went to an orthopedic doctor and came away with the diagnosis of a fractured ankle.

Comment from: feathers, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

As everyone says, the preparation is rough. I did mess up though, I drank a bouillon cube that was not "clear". It made the procedure a little more difficult for the doctor. It may seem hard to believe, but the procedure was actually a breeze, almost pleasant. It was a very good team, and I just got a good nap out of it, no side effects at all.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had my second colonoscopy 10 days ago. I made sure the prep is cold, drank it with a straw and I kept a hard lemon candy in my mouth the whole time I was drinking it. It made a huge difference. The IV was not great as she had trouble finding the vein but all in all they did find a rather large polyp which is now gone.

Comment from: Mickeyfin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

It is 6:30 am. I prepped last evening and this morning, not so bad but this is my 5th colonoscopy, having a family history of CC. Best thing I did was to have low volume food for several days. I drank protein drinks until yesterday, when I drank clear liquids. I lost a couple of lbs. I am having propofol instead of Versed, which requires an anesthesiologist. I hate Versed, as I have had pain during one procedure and bad dreams after another, plus longer recovery. I may have to pay extra for the anesthesiologist. Colon cancer is a potentially fatal disease and so easy to prevent with polyp removal, so this process is all worth it.

Comment from: jewels, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

The day before, I had nothing to eat and started the prep at noon. I mixed up the batch the night before. I had 4-8oz glasses at about an hour apart. I drank it down quickly and when I finished each time, I took a sip of water and swished my mouth out and swallowed it, to get the taste gone. The taste itself wasn't too bad at all. In between the 2 sessions of 4-8oz glasses, I drank some slightly sweetened water. After my 2nd session which was done by 8pm, I drank a large glass of chicken broth. The saltiness was satisfying as a meal would be. I never felt hungry and was very pleased how it all went. I slept like a baby that night.

Comment from: Bret, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I turned 50 and got a colonoscopy. I stuck to a clear diet for two days prior. I also drank 4 liters of GaviLyte-C without lemon as a prep. No problems at all. I spent three hours on the toilet watching a DVD. The procedure was easy. The doctor said he was giving me something to prevent the knock-out juice from burning my arm. He neglected to tell me it was an extra $390 on top of the $390 for the main stuff. Insurance paid only $498. I had one lesion removed (benign). The total cost was $1,025, and my health insurance paid all of that. Now after my $40 copay, I owe $242.

Comment from: tomahawk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had my second colonoscopy yesterday. With the first one, I drank the prep, which was horrible, causing nausea, bloating, and cramping. This time around, I took the pills and I will never take the liquid prep again. It was a breeze. No cramping, bloating, nausea – nothing. The only problem with the pills is that they are expensive, but for the ease and convenience, I will pay it. I was knocked out for the procedure and felt nothing. One minute I was in the prep room being wheeled into the surgery room and the next, I was in recovery. No memory at all. I did have some bloating yesterday and also today, but it's not bad. All in all, my experience was tolerable mostly due to the pills. Before this procedure, I was diagnosed with Crohn's through a CT scan, but the doctor found no evidence of Crohn's after the colonoscopy. He did find two polyps which were removed. Thank goodness. Don't delay.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I just went for my second colonoscopy last week. I had one 5 years ago. The preparation is definitely worse than the test. The preparation is not that awful except for the fact that you cannot eat solid foods all day the day before the test and you can only drink fluids, Jell-O (not red) and then between 3 pm and 5 pm you have to drink 64 oz. of Gatorade with 238 grams of MiraLax dissolved in it. You live in the bathroom for a while then it slows down. The test is nothing. I had two great test experiences, sedated for both of them. When I woke up I didn't remember anything. It is worth it all in the prevention of colon cancer.

Comment from: caligal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I did the liquid diet for the colonoscopy preparation. I followed every instruction, until I didn't realize I could not drink anything red. I made a mistake and drank red gatorade, this is my first time. I still have to drink 10 oz of magnesium citrate (laxative) in the early morning. Also, I've been drinking a lot of water. I hope the procedure goes okay, I would just cry if I have to do this again.

Comment from: farmgirl76, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I was given Gavilite (gallon size bottle) with a lemon packet for my colonoscopy. Skipped the packet and mixed the powder with all Gatorade Tropical Blend. No problem taking the liquid at all. It was a lot of liquid, and then 4 dulcolax tablets after the liquid. However, had a liquid diet the day I started the prep, as well as a light diet the prior day. Things went very smoothly. Prep liquid had no bad or bitter or after taste. But I think the Tropical Blend was the answer. This was the easiest prep I have had (I have done this twice before) as far as flavor goes. I did make certain it was good and cold. At first I put it into a glass with ice cubes. That took too long to drink. Since it was really cold, I could just drink it down. And, once again, the flavor made the difference. It's never pleasant having to drink that much liquid, especially when you are not one to drink a lot of liquid anyway, but it was certainly more palatable than anything else I have had recently. Try it. You just might like it. Oh, and the way I settled on the flavor by buying three different flavors of Gatorade, taking them home, and trying each flavor. When I decided on one, I bought 4 qt. size bottles and mixed it in the bottle with the powder and put it on the top shelf of the refrigerator. Must say that there was very little change in the flavor with the mixture than when the Gatorade was straight out of the bottle.

Comment from: worried for nothing, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had my colonoscopy yesterday. I was put under before the procedure and woke up to have it all finished. I was never told about mixing the horrible solution with any flavors. I started drinking mine at 5 a.m. Turns out I was all worked up for nothing. Worst part was drinking the solution and getting stuck with the IV. Definitely get put to sleep!

Comment from: corteel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I used Suprep before my colonoscopy. It was difficult getting the first 16 oz. down and then the next 32 oz of water, but I managed it. However, the second dose required to take in the early morning before the procedure gave me a problem. I drank the first 16 oz with the Suprep mixture and started drinking the water and mostly everything came back up. However, my colon was cleaned out so the procedure was done. Next time, I'll go with the pills.

Comment from: cajunmamaw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had no major problems with prep other than feeling full. Clear liquids all that day. Procedure done 1/4/12 and went like a breeze. This was my first one and I am 60, do not have to have another one for 10 years.

Comment from: miranda, Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I went for a colonoscopy and I was told that I would not feel a thing. I felt it all and I screamed in pain for them to stop. I was traumatized after and I was violently sick as I was so upset. Everyone should be under general anesthesia for this procedure, not sedation. This was no joke and I will never do it again.

Comment from: Darwins Chimp, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I had a colonoscopy today 27/04/11. Total failure. The prep medicine did not work and the doctor could not examine my colon properly, so much so the whole procedure took twice as long. The results that were handed to me indicate that I did not take the medicine, but I followed the regime rigorously to the minute, literally. I am now on the list as being a time waster. However I have to go again in 3 months. I am not dreading the procedure, despite it being very painful, just very concerned that there will be the same result with the medicine (Moviprep).

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I think the worst part is the preparation. The day before I have to take this liquid called fleet and dissolve it in half a liter of water and it tastes bitter. You do that twice, and you have to drink lots of water, half a liter before and half after and more during the day. Then at night, you take another preparation dissolved in a liter of water, and drink it over 45 minutes. Then a few hours before the colonoscopy, you do that again. It's a lot of water to drink. I also had to do a diet four days before with no fiber, only white rice, white bread and potatoes -- no vegetables or fruits, which was hard for me. I did it under a general anesthetic because the first time I didn't have it, it took a long time and it was a little painful. I have this about every three years, as I had cancer, so it's a control.

Comment from: Eanie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I have had numerous colonoscopies over the years. You pick up little tricks. First, go on a non-fiber diet on day 2, 3 and possibly 4 before the procedure. This time my specialist suggested Picoprep and Glycoprep plus plenty of other fluids - tastes good. Must have the Picroprep at the start and finish. Peppermint lollies are good. The new thing was to start day 1 in the morning and drink little bits as you feel like it until the body fluid is clear, then stop. I ended up drinking only 1.2 L. It was a breeze and I kept working during the day.

Comment from: sk, 45-54 Male Published: June 01

As a 50th birthday present, my primary care doc gave me a box of SuPrep and an appointment for a colonoscopy. I found the liquid sort of unpleasant, but not terrible. I used very cold water. Anyway, I got it down fine and then drank the additional water within the hour required. The first round, in the evening, started working in about 45 minutes. No cramping or pain at all. I probably had two or three 10-minute sessions on the toilet over the course of the next two hours and then went to bed and slept through the night. Another round the next morning -- also went fine. Maybe the trick is to eat lightly the day or two even before the liquid diet starts. The colonoscopy procedure itself was a breeze. About 20 minutes, no polyps -- don't remember a thing --then about 30 minutes to recover from the sedative and then on my way. No ongoing pain or issues. Back for another one in ten years. Definitely, anticipating the experience was far worse than undergoing it.

Comment from: Ani, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I am 65 years old and just had my first colonoscopy performed along with a gastroscopy. First of all I mixed the Colyte with the pineapple mix which the pharmacist included and then mixed it all with water then I put it in the fridge the day before I was to drink it. It did not taste bad at all. And because I was told not to eat anything the day before I was to take the Colyte it worked out great because my stomach was empty. The worst part for me was the burning on my rectum everytime I had use the bathroom. Today the test was done without any problems or pain. I was sedated the whole time. My husband picked me up and I was just a little lighted headed, there was no bleeding (just very little when they did the test). Now so far I am feeling fine except for a little dizzy. This test is not bad at all as long as you can sleep through it. Good Luck to everyone.

Comment from: brownezye, Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had mine done a couple of weeks ago, and the prep as by far the worst part. I had nothing but liquids the whole day beef broth, jello no red or grape Gatorade and between 5 and 9pm was the worst part. Drinking the prep made me full and tasted awful. Stay by the bathroom for a couple of hours and just as I thought I had slowed down prior to 9pm yeah right. You have to drink a 32oz with the prep and another 64oz within your first hour and again another prep at 9pm and another 64oz of water. I was sore and sleepy you will get chills and feel like you have a fever but that is normal. The day of the procedure was easy early morning around 6.30am and I was put to sleep. Done by 9am. I was hungry and sleepy. Slept most of the day and it took about good 3/days for a normal bowel movement. Clean bill of health. yeah. Drinking the prep was the worst part it was not tasty other than that it was worth it.

Comment from: Robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I first of all accepted the fact that being over fifty years old, it was time to have a colonoscopy. I scheduled an appointment to learn what was needed in the way of being prepared for the exam and bought some laxatives. I took the laxatives as prescribed and stayed home that day. I took a cab to the clinic, signed the paper work, and changed into a gown. The exam was history in a very short time and there was no pain. I took a cab home.

Comment from: jk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I was told to buy magnesium citrate and take at dinner time 2 days before with 2 to 4 glasses of water. The day before clear liquid diet until 6 am the day of the procedure. I have a gallon of Gavilyten solution and started drinking it at 4pm the day before with more water.

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had a colonoscopy two days ago and it was a really simple procedure--nothing to fear. The preparation the day before with the colpiprep is the worst part!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter