Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had to eat junk food only for 3 days (i.e., no fiber/no vegetables/no fruits, etc.), then clear liquids the day before the colonoscopy procedure. The preparation was 2 Dulcolax, 10 oz. of magnesium citrate, 32 oz. of Miralax/Gatorade, 2 Dulcolax and then 32 oz. of Miralax/Gatorade again. The only problem I had was, the Miralax/Gatorade made me throw up. After drinking my first 8 oz. of it I immediately threw it up (it tasted like regular Gatorade but my stomach didn't like it). I had to drink it very slowly to get the rest of the 32 oz. down and for it to stay down. I couldn't drink anymore after that. My prep ended up being graded as fair. Diarrhea was no problem. I probably shouldn't have sat on the toilet for 6 hours but I did anyway because I was scared to death after reading so many other stories. My body always let me know when I needed to go and the bowel movements weren't excessive at all. Best advice I got was to buy diaper rash cream and preparation H medicated wipes. Apply diaper rash cream after every movement and always use wipes (no toilet paper). I was never sore at all! Another bit of advice that I followed and that probably helped was to stop eating meat 5 days before the procedure. It helps limit the amount of diarrhea. The procedure itself was simple and painless, I had propofol and was knocked out. I woke up, passed air one time (because they pump your intestines up with air), and no diarrhea or anything else after that. The doctor found 1 small polyp and removed it. I am happy I went, worth it. I will ask for something different than the Miralax for next time.

Comment from: Momof2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I wanted to weigh in here as I had my first colonoscopy yesterday. I lost a cousin to colon cancer at 36, leaving behind 2 toddlers and seeing that, well, I decided to go at 51 years of age. Compared to childbirth this is a walk in the park. I thought I did something wrong because I kept waiting for some violent explosion or something but having the norovirus was 50 times worse than this colon preparation. Diarrhea yes, but not out of the ordinary. I read all the tips. I think the reason it was so easy was a few days before I changed my diet. It was scheduled for Wednesday 6:30 am. From Saturday before I kept my food light and stayed away from whole grains and nuts/fiber. I started my prep at 4:30 pm. Set up in the bathroom with laptop, radio, applied diaper rash cream, baby wipes. An hour later I had a movement. But it was no big deal. I drank the lemon-lime prep in big gulps with straw toward back of throat. I sucked on a lime in between. It was done in no time. Salty lemonade was the taste but not enough to make me vomit or anything. I wasn't rushing into the bathroom either. I wore Depends just for peace of mind. I drank the rest of prep at 10:30 pm. I was done at 11:30 pm. I got to the hospital, twilight sedation, and don't remember a thing. They removed 3 polyps so awaiting pathology. Definitely glad I had a driver, was a little groggier than I thought I would be. Hubby took me to breakfast, got home and took a nice nap. Don't be scared of this. People need to read the directions and prep correctly. Also I did learn that I could have asked for the prep where you only drink like two 12 oz bottles of a different prep and then substitute your own drinks in between.

Comment from: Zena22, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I had a positive experience with my first colonoscopy. I would like to share how I prepared for my first colonoscopy. I was prescribed GaviLyte–N. The concoction comes in a powder-form, I mixed with water as directed and then cooled it. I then mixed up a concentrated solution of a half package of Crystal Light powder, to one cup of spring water. After eating a small meal, 36 hours prior to the procedure, I took 2 tablets of Dulcolax before bedtime. At this time I started with clear liquids only. I was hungry, but I feel having only a liquid diet for 36 hours helped make my outcome easier. The day of the preparation, I took 2 more tablets of Dulcolax, as directed, 4 hours before I started to drink the prep solution, and continued with only clear liquids. I would take a small amount of the concentrated Crystal Light in my mouth and swish it around for a few seconds before swallowing it. Then I would drink the glass of the prep solution. I followed this routine until I had pale yellow bowel movements, which took approximately 5, 16 oz. glasses of the preparation. I then took one more 16 oz. glass, just to make sure my bowel movements were clear. I drank a total of 96 oz. of the solution. During the prep time, I had plain chicken broth, drank Seagram's ginger ale and had some orange and watermelon Jell-O. I had 2 lemon popsicles and ginger ale after the prep was complete. I went to the bathroom for bowel movements about 15 times. I also got up several times that night to go to the bathroom. You will go to the bathroom until all the preparation is out of your intestines. Then the urge to go is gone. I did not have any of the negative effects, I never felt nauseous, did not gag, vomit or feel any extreme bloating or pain. I did have some body chills throughout the day. I had taken a shower, put on a heavy fleece nightgown, socks and slippers and was comfortable. The gastroenterologist said my prep was excellent. My procedure went well. One small 5 mm polyp was discovered, which was removed. I felt a bit groggy afterwards and went home to rest. I could not have driven a car even if I had wanted to. It is important to make sure you have a ride. These are just suggestions and my personal experience to help make this procedure tolerable. I hope you have a successful preparation and colonoscopy procedure.

Comment from: NikChic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had a colonoscopy today and went for the sedation as I thought no point in being tough. It took two attempts to get the needle in though! You have the blood pressure tests, mine was high, and I told the nurse it was the questions about next of kin got me worried! They also asked if I had ever had mad cow disease, but no. The procedure was as uncomfortable as having bad trapped wind, I was told to pass it but although it pops out at inappropriate times, it was going nowhere this time. I think the doctor wiggled the tube and it fell out! The only bit I felt was the air and at the entry point although by the time it was over, I felt like the Michelin man, and a few trips to the loo to have a blast helped a lot. I will have to go through another session as they found a naughty dangly bit which has to be removed, I am not looking forward to the MoviPrep, ghastly stuff. It all took about 2 hours, the whole visit.

Comment from: Pizza Guy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I have had colonoscopy performed several times in the past. This most recent procedure has left me with a bloated feeling after eating when I have not had much to eat. The procedure was performed in the past two weeks.

Comment from: Robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I'm not sure what the worst part of colonoscopy is, I had so many complications I have absolutely no problem with dying from colon cancer!

Comment from: Skaf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

The prep to colonoscopy is horrendous, this is the last and only one I will ever have. This is ridiculous what I have gone through. I am so angry that I had to do this.

Comment from: Anne H., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have just had a colonoscopy and would like to reassure anyone waiting to have one, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. You cannot eat for about 26 to 28 hours so be prepared for this. Consomme soup is okay but is very hard to get hold of. I had a sedative, but very mild and didn't feel a thing. The nurses stay with you all the time and talk to you. The MoviPrep you are given to drink, is okay, like thin water, stay near the loo! I wasn't drowsy at all. You get your results straight away which saves all the worry. If they send biopsies away, don't worry, it is for inflammation purposes. I had a sore tummy for about 5 days after. But all worth having it done.

Comment from: kaliforniadrem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I just like to say that my experience with a colonoscopy was horrific. The preparation was inconvenient. My issue was the procedure. I woke up during the procedure and kept yelling at the doctor during the session that it was painful. He kept telling me that it was almost over. It wasn't. They refused to give me any medication and caused me to suffer through the end of the procedure. I asked if it was medically necessary to stop the pain medication and they would not confirm this. My goal is to tell you to check with your doctor and find out more about what medication they are using and what happens if you wake up during it.

Comment from: Lake Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had my second colonoscopy today. The first was 10 years ago, and showed no polyps, but a little diverticulosis. This was the suggested 10 year exam, and was all clear. The preparation was no picnic. I took 4 Dulcolax with water, and later 64 oz Gatorade with a 328 gm bottle of Miralax dissolved in it. Another 32 oz taken last night, 8 oz at 15 minute intervals, and the rest this morning, also at 15 minute intervals. Chicken and beef broth, Jell-O and ginger ale were the extent of my food. As the bowels began to clear, it rapidly became liquid that made its exit on its own schedule. My advice is to sit on the toilet for about 6 to 8 hours if you don't want to be doing some unpleasant cleanup! After the first few times, switch to a spray bottle of water instead of toilet paper, or you will quickly get a raw backside. Something that has happened this time that did not happen the first time is, since I have gotten home, I have had several incidents of the escaping liquid, including some of the 'stuff' that I had assumed was all cleared out. I am hoping that this was all hiding in my small intestine, and only came through the large intestine after the colonoscopy. I followed the prep instructions exactly, by the way.

Comment from: BVCGT, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I just had my second colonoscopy yesterday. First was 10 years ago, and I swore I would never have another that time. My first was done with 2 rounds of Fleet Phospho-Soda and Versed/fentanyl for a sedative. I felt like I had the worst hangover of my life for 2.5 days post procedure; nausea, headache. I learned that preparation resulted in severe dehydration and the sedative had hangover side effects. I was hopeful that this round with Dulcolax, and Miralax and Gatorade preparation, and propofol sedative would be better. I would say it was better but only marginally. I was told to not eat for 1.5 days before the procedure. Thirty hours of not eating and the effect of the prep resulted in what I believe was extremely low blood sugar and magnified effects of some other medications. I had a psychotic episode for only the second time in my life; the first was after a medical procedure over 40 years ago. I am generally very healthy, on few medicines and have otherwise never experienced anything remotely like this. After the procedure, I had similar hangover effects, but this time they only lasted about 1.5 days. However, I also recognized the problem and drank a lot of Gatorade after the procedure to try to rehydrate. I don't want to scare people off from having a colonoscopy but go into the procedure with your eyes open. The prep is like a nasty case of stomach flu. It will leave you dehydrated, low on salt, electrolytes, and in my case, I believe, blood sugar. Watch your other medicines. You may have taken them for years with no problems, but when your body has been severely impacted by the prep, those 'rare but serious' side effects on the label may rear their ugly heads. The procedure itself is a non-event. By the time you arrive at the facility, you are going to feel so rotten that you will say just do what you need to and get this over with. Propofol works well. I was out quickly and came to quite easily. Just be sure you ask for lidocaine in the IV because it can burn when they inject it. A good anesthesiologist will add lidocaine routinely. I've read blogs about people who leave the facility and go out for a big breakfast or a burger. I have never considered myself a wimp but they are bigger people than me. The ones that say plan on taking it easy for at least a day, in my humble opinion, are much more accurate. Focus on getting your body used to eating again by eating small, light meals and be sure to rehydrate. You will ultimately feel better faster. If possible, give yourself 2 days (day of the procedure and day after). This last time I had a polyp removed about 4 inches into my colon. My discharge instructions said scant bleeding was normal and heavy bleeding was cause for a phone call or a trip to the emergency room. I had bleeding the first 24 hours that certainly wasn't scant but wasn't sure if it qualified for heavy. It appears that mine was not cause of concern but seeing a toilet full of dark red water is very alarming. My advice here is get concrete discharge instructions, not subjective adjective like 'scant' or 'heavy.' I feel exhausted but can't seem to sleep. Not sure what to make of that, perhaps side effect of the propofol. Good luck!

Comment from: nanno3, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I found it way easier to prepare for colonoscopy; to fast (clear liquids ok but no solids) for three days prior. The preparation solution gave me hives as well as caused me to gag. I would rather just not eat (pretend I'm a movie star prepping for the Oscars!) than feel sick to my stomach. I still drank the nasty stuff but I didn't have to ingest as much. Check with your doctor first if this is ok for you. Also to cut the evil taste of Gatorade I drank sips of black coffee (bitter to counteract the sick sweetness) or sucked on mint/sour hard candies. A candle burning in the bathroom will also lessen the chances of throwing up and dilute the smells.

Comment from: Gilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

Firstly I am in the U.K. I had my first colonoscopy in 2002 in a private hospital, well sedated, and it wasn't a problem at all, in fact all I remember is waking up when it was over. I went for another in December 2015 at local NHS (National Health Service) hospital. My goodness, the pain! They got as far as the second bend, and I was in agony. They used gas and air and some totally useless sedation. I went in today for a CT colonoscopy, no sedation at all, just vile medication since Sunday to clear me out and add a dye. This was nearly as painful as the colonoscopy, I asked them twice to stop it and they didn't. I'm now traumatized. I've given birth twice without any pain relief, so am no stranger to pain. But this was torture plain and simple. Hospitals need to look at sedation!

Comment from: Colonoscopy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I had my first colonoscopy today. My preparation was awful to say the least. Just so I don't discourage anyone from getting a colonoscopy I will skip the gross details but I will say to stay away from the Miralax prep. Ask your doctor to prescribe a different prep solution to take because I couldn't even finish my 2nd phase, it made me ill. But I have to say the screening was a breeze. All the nurses were excellent and it was all over pretty much before I realized it began.

Comment from: Sillydogruns, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am 52, and two hours ago, I had a colonoscopy. I was nervous because it was my first time. The doctor used IV fentanyl and IV Versed to sedate me. I live in Canada and work in the medical field, so I knew what medicines they were going to use before the procedure. After they put the IV in, they put nasal prongs on with oxygen on me. They put the sedating medications in the IV. Lying on my side, I remember thinking 'I think I am starting to feel the sedatives kicking in', and then I woke up in recovery. They left what felt like a thin tube in my bowel exiting the rectum (which I could hardly feel) so that I could pass the air they filled my bowel with, silently, which I was thankful for, because there were other people in the recovery with me. After about an hour in recovery, they took the tube out, and I could not even feel it being taken out. I was refreshed and not groggy. My mind was clear. I felt great. I was told I had a normal colonoscopy. I will never be nervous to have this done again.

Comment from: NeverAgain, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a sigmoidoscopy at age 50. I did not have any sedation as I was told it was not necessary, so I went in with no apprehension. It was the worst. The doctor rammed that device where it had to be, and it was so bad. The nurse told me after that I should have been sedated. I only wish she had advocated for me during the procedure as I just squirmed all over. That doctor knew that if he would have medicated me that the procedure would have taken longer for the medicine to be effective. Needless to say, I haven't gone for any more scopes. If I die of colon cancer, it's that doctor's ruthless behavior at fault. I don't know what device he used, but my imagination tells me that he jammed a small rodent with sharp little claws up there and it spent a long time scurrying around and around until it found its way out. Never again!

Comment from: Vern, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I just came back from my colonoscopy. The staff were all helpful and very nice. I was obviously nervous after the mixture was so awful, that had to be drunk over the last couple days and thought the procedure could only be painful. I could not believe when it was over and how quickly. Not painful at all, the solution to prepare was worse.

Comment from: Natural believer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a screening colonoscopy on Tuesday morning. I used a new preparation called Suprep, which costs USD 120.00. It is 8 oz. that you mix with 16 oz., drink, and then drink 2 more 16 oz. cups of plain water within 2 hours. Sure did work! You do it again the next morning 4 hours before your appointment. I have 4 words for this entire prep; projectile anal liquid release. The test was done under propofol, so I have no memory and had no pain. Or if I did I don't remember! Unfortunately, I had 6 benign polyps taken, one of the pre-cancerous variety, and they installed 3 instinct endoscopic hemoclips. I was given a diet for a week consisting of very few foods that I can eat. I am a 5 ft. 7, 135 lb. non-insulin dependent diabetic with a less than 6 A1C. I work very carefully for this range and refuse to eat white and mushy food. I am close to a raw food vegetarian. I could not eat their pasta, potato and white flour suggestions. Overcooked canned beets were the best I could do! I also must refrain from any painkillers for 2 weeks except the (worthless) Tylenol. I have had lower back pain since the minute I came to. Now it's Sunday afternoon, and their Tylenol therapy is still not helping. Apparently, my colon is still 'asleep' as well. They have suggested that I take the chemical Miralax for that. My body always knew what to do before this, with no problem at all. Very regular without ever a problem. I was constipated once in 1976. I am sorry I had this procedure done. We all have to die of something anyways. Living like this is not any picnic either! Will I ever have bowel movement again! They seem to think this is just fine.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have just had a colonoscopy, two days ago. The pain was excruciating. I don't know what kind of sedation they gave me, but whatever it was, it didn't work. He stopped eventually when the nurse asked me if I wanted it to stop and I said yes. He just said 'x-ray' and left. The whole thing left me tearful and demeaned. Now I am angry.

Comment from: LN100, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have had several colonoscopies due to my ulcerative colitis and the last 3 have all been very easy. Ask for the Gatorade/Miralax preparation as it was the best one I have tried. I did the preparation last night and was doing things around the house the whole time. I had my colonoscopy this morning with a fast-acting drug (like propofol) at about 8:45 and was out and on my way to get breakfast by 10:30. I had no pain or memory of the procedure and just some gas now. Otherwise, a very easy procedure; most doctors have more than one choice of preparation, so ask if you want something different. The first time, I had to drink magnesium citrate and it was awful, so I asked for a different one and the Miralax mixed with a sports drink was much better and the electrolytes in the Gatorade/Propel will help keep your energy up. Good luck!

Comment from: Wasted Worries, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had my first colonoscopy a few weeks back and like everyone else I was nervous only to find that the worries were a waste of time. I chose not to be sedated and go with the pain medicines and it was pain free except for turning one corner and pumping air, when I felt a sharp cramping pain that only lasted a few seconds but very tolerable. As far as the preparation, well, I won't say it tasted ok as it didn't but in my own opinion it really wasn't all that bad. I used the chug-it-down method followed by sucking on a lemon and honestly it's not as bad as what some are saying. I hope this helps with any jitters for those of you facing your first colonoscopy. Nothing to get worked up about. Besides the peace of mind is well worth it.

Comment from: mikeC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Today, I had my first colonoscopy. The preparation was humiliating as expected. GoLytely didn't taste all that horrible. I read online about how sedation wasn't really necessary. The staff looked at me a little weird but didn't argue. I was surprised at how painless the procedure began and much more surprised at how painful it became. I swear I bit through the pillow lining. I was relieved when the doctor said the worst was over. And guess what! There were still 10 more minutes of agony as he prodded this way and that. I aged a full year in the process and will never go it again without sedation.

Comment from: Gary, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I had my first colonoscopy 2 days ago. I was always afraid to get one before. The preparation was nowhere as bad as I heard. The test was literally a piece of cake. I was sedated and felt nothing. I woke up fully alert with no after effects except for bloating. This was gone within an hour after passing gas. No diet restrictions. Great relief, test showed nothing abnormal. Great staff who cared about the patients.

Comment from: Bren1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

This was my 3rd colonoscopy over 12 years or so. My brother died of colon cancer. He held off on treatment and passed at the young age of 49. This was the easiest preparation so far. I have chronic kidney disease. I went from stage 3 in December 2014 to stage 2 now (improved). Prep drinking solution was powder brand Perrigo polyethylene glycol 3350 that I had to mix with 1/2 gallon water in a jug provided to me. The liquid was as clear as water and barely had any taste to it. If you choose you can mix with a clear Gatorade. On my own, I researched prior to all of this and stopped eating all fruits and vegetables 3 days prior to colonoscopy, so doctor doesn't have to clean off colon. On the day before, as instructed, I stopped eating all solid food and only took in clear items. Jell-O, broth, water, and allowed myself 1 cup tea. That day at 10 am I took 2 small orange laxatives, again at 12 noon took 2 orange pills, and at 4:00 pm I started drinking the solution. Probably within 1 hour I had my 1st bowel movement. (Exam was scheduled for next day at 11:00 am). I probably went 4 or 5 more times (sore). A little more late evening. Day of the exam I had to take the 16 oz. of solution that I had to set aside in fridge. Nurse instructed me to ignore time noted on sheet and take as early as possible, which I did. I went just a little more. Once I arrived at colonoscopy exam location I was administered propofol 250 mg. No kidding, I was out like a light as soon as it was shot into the IV line. I don't recall anything about my colonoscopy. I woke up quicker and more alert than my prior 2 colonoscopy experiences. I was diagnosed with diverticulosis (mild) of sigmoid and descending colon, and internal hemorrhoids. The reason for my grooves in stool is the contours of my bowels. Downside to propofol which is the only anesthesia the place uses nowadays is that the following morning I had the worst brain fog or case of no brain. Then I couldn't walk, I staggered and had fuzzy head. I did tell the doctor's office and my nurse practitioner. If you look up side effects this does fit the bill. Don't fear the colonoscopy, it may save your life. One minute you are in the room getting the IV set up, next you are waking up in recovery. You won't even know you had it. I had no after effects of the experience. Good luck all.

Comment from: SeaTac777, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am a 38 year old female who just had my first colonoscopy. I woke up twice. The first time I was on my back and my legs were being held back. I remember screaming and begging them to stop. I was totally disoriented because the last thing I remember was turning on my left side. The pain was excruciating. The second time I was on my side and was repeatedly told that it would be over soon. I just remember crying for what seemed like an eternity. Fortunately, nothing was discovered during the procedure despite the two positive fecal blood tests, so I was incredibly relieved just to be done with it. I was told the procedure would be a snap and the preparation was the worst part. I thought I would be put out for the entire procedure.

Comment from: Sellson, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I had my second colonoscopy today. The first was 9 years ago by the same doctor. The first time, I woke up because we used too little Versed. This time I studied and asked the doctor to increase the dosage. I actually wanted propofol but this doctor uses Versed and Demerol. The preparation this time was great. The first time I cramped during the middle of the night. This time I also started the prep 24 hours early. We used Dulcolax and Miralax. I got very dehydrated and when they tried to find a vein it was difficult; I had two sticks. I was partially awake the whole procedure. I wish he had started the Demerol sooner to relax me. Overall, I was very happy with the doctor, nursing staff and registration process. Having my nurse wife with me was a huge help as were the wishes from friends. Really quite easy and a positive experience!

Comment from: Donna did it, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had my first colonoscopy when I was 42, because of family history. They did not put me to sleep back then, no problems at all, just lots of gas in recovery room, so much that I had other people behind their curtains laughing at me. Now I hear they put you to sleep which does frighten me. But we have to do what we have to do. I am now 51 my father died of colon cancer in 2011, so this is nothing to play with. Get your screening.

Comment from: J. Thom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 14

The first bowel preparation for colonoscopy I ever did was when I was in the Air Force. They gave me castor oil. That made the GoLytely a walk in the park. I began at 1 PM the day before the procedure. I had the 4 liter jug and drank 8 ounces every 10 minutes. It took about an hour before it began working. You should head for the bathroom at the first indication because things start happening pretty quickly. I had no cramps at all. The nurse who briefed me had me do a warm water enema at bed time and at least 2 times the next morning or until the discharge was clear. My bowel was clean and I slept through the procedure. It was not unpleasant at all. I have had several at 5 year intervals and plan to continue having this necessary procedure. Colonoscopies save lives!

Comment from: Dutchess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a colonoscopy. About 5 days or so later I felt cramping and dull ache in my back, then it wrapped around my groin. I had sciatic, and femoral nerve pain. I had the procedure done in January of this year and still have pain, especially the femoral nerve. It feels like a charcoal lighter lit to my nerve. The pain is constant.

Comment from: dino mango, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and the worst part was I developed a bad rash probably due to the preparation. My skin is very irritated to the point where I dread wiping myself after a bowel movement as it is very painful, and I have minor bleeding. My suggestion is to prepare the anal area before the prep by using Desitin or Vaseline to coat the area before doing the prep. The procedure itself went fast and I didn't feel a thing. Most painful part was the prep.

Comment from: Goldie1950, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

Please do not worry if you have to have a colonoscopy. I had one done yesterday. The preparation for the procedure involved a low residue diet for 2 days prior to bowel preparation. For the prep you drink a liter of salty/lemony solution twice over 24 hours. This totally empties your bowel. It also means no food and clear fluid only to drink for about 30 hours, not as bad as it sounds! The procedure involves lying on left side and the insertion of a long thin tube rectally. I underwent all of this without any pain relief and it was quite bearable. The doctor did give me an injection of Buscopan 10 mg which is a smooth muscle relaxant, to relax bowel muscles to ease procedure. I was on my way home 1/2 hour later. Please do not be afraid of having this procedure done. It's worth it, believe me.

Comment from: Steve, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

After suffering much pain I had my total knee replacement (TKR) in November 2014. The operation went well and I went home after 4 days. I felt I was doing well although the wound wasn't healing and kept oozing. I went regularly to physiotherapy and my bend was improving. I also had my clips removed and attended for dressing changes, as the wound continued to ooze. During the 4th week the oozing became much worse and smelly and I started to feel very ill with a high temperature and vomiting. I was admitted back into hospital where the joint was washed out. The result was a very serious life threatening infection which needed antibiotic treatment and a 6 week stay in hospital. Fortunately the antibiotics did the trick and the infection cleared. It is 6 months today since my operation and I'm going back to work tomorrow. The whole experience has been awful and I have lost so much confidence that I wish I hadn't had it done. On the plus side the knee is pain free but I am struggling with the bend and hope that it will improve. Think very carefully before having a TKR. I am constantly being told I was unlucky, and I walk and move around much better now. Don't be blinded by the pain, listen to the risks.

Comment from: Man frm Omaha, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 51 year old male here. I had screening colonoscopy yesterday. I hydrated heavily during the day before staring the colon cleansing. Drinking the stuff wasn't bad, it was a little sweet but I just did it. First batch was no problem. I kept hydrating the whole time. Second batch, by the time my colon was empty, it felt like I was passing battery acid. Thank goodness for Destin diaper rash ointment. I should have started with that at the beginning. I kept hydrating until bedtime, slept through the night well. I passed some more liquid upon waking. I got some Versed and some Demerol, but oddly I was awake watching the procedure on the screen the whole time. No pain in the least. Done in 10 minutes and home 45 minutes later. I kept hydrating, golfed 9 holes that afternoon. The key is hydration. Keep drinking. Plus I'm a big guy and I assume my colon is the size of a sewer pipe, which has to make it easier. All in all, no sweat.

Comment from: Elizabeth52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had my first colonoscopy 6 days ago. It was horrible! They gave me Demerol and Versed, apparently not enough. I did feel a little spaced out, but remember everything. When I started fighting them because of the pain, the nurse held me down. Apparently the conscious sedative (which is what I had, doesn't work too well on some people). I don't understand why they didn't give me more medication, when I screamed out to stop and that it was hurting. People, if you plan on having this done, go to a doctor that will totally put you out. This can be dangerous when the patient is fighting it and I'm just fortunate that my colon wasn't punctured. My trust in the medical profession is smashed, and I feel it was abuse. Wish I could give the doctor and nurse a colonoscopy after making them drink one single beer. That was about the effect of this sedative on me. Wow! I'm just horrified! I will be informing my family and friends about this and not to go there! Hope this helps some people!

Comment from: Pythoness, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had my second colonoscopy yesterday, a routine screening. I had had one 11 years previous to confirm a diagnosis of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Both times I was lightly sedated and could remember the procedure; the first time my IV wasn't working properly and the second time I requested no Versed. This was because about ten years ago I had an endoscopy with Versed. They thought they were doing me a favor by heavily drugging me; the partial amnesia was terrible for me (obviously this is not the case for everyone). All I could remember from the procedure was someone telling me to breathe when I was gagging, and for the next six weeks I had symptoms of PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder). I dreamed of being raped and strangled and woke up trying to scream, I had to leave work twice because I was unable to stop crying. As a result I've been terrified of having to have the same anesthesia again. I discussed this with everyone who would listen, and the anesthetist said he'd never heard of anything like it, but I feel much better being able to remember things in sequence, even the painful parts. I was also kind of interested in watching the screen. I had some pretty intense pain when they navigated through the lower bowel; I have diverticulosis and following a couple of attacks of diverticulitis there is some scar tissue and sensitivity. It was probably about six on a scale of ten, but only lasted a few minutes. They offered me more sedation, which I refused. I have mild soreness in the lower left quadrant today, which is not surprising. Other than that it went well. I had one attack of dry heaves on the way home which ended after I brought up a little clear fluid, no idea what that was. The staff were astonished at how 'awake' I was afterward, but for me this is hugely preferable. It's not a one-size-fits-all procedure, and I'm delighted they listened and responded to my concerns. I had one small polyp removed, which the doctor says is benign but is likely to be pre-cancerous, so I'm glad to have that gone.

Comment from: V.Byrum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I just had a colonoscopy yesterday, and I am still suffering from stomach and bowel pain. The cleansing was awful but the sedation and colonoscopy went well. But the aftermath with the gas and bloating just about made me faint from the excruciating pain! I couldn't eat like I was told to because I could hardly breathe from the pain. I was scheduled at 8:30 am and I didn't leave till 1 pm. I got home and slept till 3:30 pm and was still in pain. I was hardly able to walk. Today my stomach and back hurts from all the contractions! I don't ever want to go through that again!

Comment from: ping, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a colonoscopy today and the one down the throat. Let me tell you it was one of the worst times of my life. I couldn't do the throat one, which was first, I ended up tearing the thing out of my mouth, I was shaking and crying and was really upset by this experience. Next they tried the colonoscopy, I should state that I had no sedation only a spray in mouth and gas and air for the bottom. It was funny at first but then it was pure pain and again I screamed and flung it out of me! Never again, it was hell for me. Please understand I am in no way trying to frighten anyone but I feel I need to tell people, some people like me couldn't cope with the pain. Also because I was dehydrated from the Klean-Prep. They could not sedate me because my veins were too small for the huge needle. I hope you have a better time, people.

Comment from: belle, (Patient) Published: March 05

I will never have this colonoscopy procedure done again. I had this procedure done a week ago and still in a lot of pain. I was fully awake even though they supposedly gave me some drug to sleep. I really believe the nurse who started my IV missed the vein entirely. I screamed for the doctor to stop and he just held me down harder so I couldn't move. I have never felt so helpless. All his nurse would say was to take deep breaths. I will not have this done again.

Comment from: pattonbella, Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I just had my first colonoscopy at age 56. I had been dreading it for years. But I got really sick and lost almost half of my weight from a digestive disorder and I knew that I had to get one. I went to a colon and rectal surgeon as I had more trust in someone who specializes in the colon. (I had already been to about 7 gastroenterologists). I was so sick and eating only about 600 to 700 calories a day and did not know how I would get through the prep. My doctor prescribed Prepopik which is relatively new to the market and is not supposed to be that bad. You only drink a total of 10 oz. of liquid that tastes like tang (an orange type drink that was available years ago). But I was still skeptical because of these powerful drugs that can have many unwanted side effects. I did some research and decided to go with magnesium citrate. It's is an oral solution that you can get from most drugstores, but I got mine at Walmart for 98 cents each (I got 4). I did a low residue diet for days prior to my prep. And my prep was 2 days, not one. I took 2 bottles the first day and 2 the second. I only drank water and an electrolyte drink because I cannot have sugar at this time. I was able to get through it really easy. It was a gentle cleanse and I did not have any bad side effects except for a sore butt. I was concerned that I was not cleaned out enough because I did have some fecal matter even up to the surgery time. I told the doctor and she said it would be fine. (And I was really clean for the procedure according to the surgeon.) This was the easiest prep possible. The test was easy, had a great set of nurses working with me. I woke up and had very mild gas. No polyps, but I had some biopsies done. I still have no solid answers to my digestive issues. But this test is not that bad, it is all about how you think about it. If you need one get it, just know that you have some power to make decisions for your health.

Comment from: AgedMan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

The preparation was a breeze. MoviPrep was the solution. Loads of bad reports about this product but no problem consuming it for me and it seemed to do the job although the doctor said my bowel was not totally clear. Quite how I am supposed to know that I don't know. Anyway the procedure itself was done, they said, with sedative and pain killer but I think they only used one of them. At certain points I was in agony but just gritted my teeth. I don't know if it was the air or the corners or the removal of 2 polyps that caused it. When I went back to the room my wife said I was as white as a ghost and she was shocked. Day after and now I have pain in my tummy, again I don't know if this is gas or at the site of the polypectomy. Guess I will have to see what develops. Small amount of blood passed this morning in watery stool. My advice, ask for general anesthesia or strong sedative if you are having the procedure.

Comment from: GREATFUL, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I worried needlessly about colonoscopy. The worst part is the drink and constant use of the bathroom. The procedure was painless. I was lightly sedated and felt great when it was over. Yes, you will experience passing gas which is odorless so you don't have to feel offended. Actually the registered nurse will encourage you to do so. Don't put this off as I did due to fear. I strongly encourage you to schedule it today you'll be glad you did.

Comment from: Sheila, C., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had my colonoscopy last Saturday. I was extremely scared and apprehensive beforehand, especially after reading the dreadful reviews. However, the whole experience was absolutely fine. The prior 3 days preparation weren't a problem and the sachets tasted lovely! I was given a hospital gown to wear along with paper 'modesty shorts' which had an opening at the back. During the whole procedure, I wore these two garments. Sedation was administered in the back of my hand and I was hardly aware of the probe inside me although I have a very low pain threshold. However, watching its progress on the TV screen was absolutely fascinating and the whole examination is over before you realize it! I would have another tomorrow without any qualms.

Comment from: dimples2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I craved salt. I would suck on a rabbit salt block. I had very extreme pain in my joints, swelling in my joints and vomiting that would not stop until I went to the hospital. I had severe pain all over my body, diarrhea that was so bad, and no appetite. I was very weak, light headed, and had fainting spells and low blood pressure. There was weight loss (was very small to start) and I was thirsty although water would even make me sick. There was general body weakness and fatigue beyond fatigue. The salt craving and the extreme pain were the clues that an emergency room doctor decided led him to do the 24 hour urine test for Addison's disease.

Comment from: NYMAMI, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I had a colonoscopy today and the worst part was drinking the prep mixture. I was sedated and I only remember waking up in recovery. I will do it again if necessary. My only issue right now is feeling bloated.

Comment from: Angela L, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a colonoscopy yesterday which was Monday, Nov 3, 2014. The procedure went very well. I was sedated with Demerol and I felt no pain. My doctor and the nurses were excellent. They walked me through the process and made sure I was ok during each step. All of my friends, family and co-workers told me that they had the same good experience. If anyone experiences pain with a colonoscopy in 2014 it is very unusual. It's been 24 hours since my colonoscopy and I have no side effects or pain. However, I'm very glad no polyps or other issues were found and I don't need another one for 10 years. Thank goodness!

Comment from: Olivia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I experienced my first colonoscopy today. I have to say the preparation was the worst part of the procedure, and that wasn't even bad. The Peg-Lyte was not distasteful, only annoying to have to drink 4 liters. Slight irritation of anal skin due to constant going! I was relieved to have drunk the last drop. I did not expect a yellow fluid near the end of the prepping which I learned was 'colon bile'. The actual procedure was painless. I was sedated and didn't feel a thing. I had a good snooze and when I awoke it was time to go home. All was well. That part is very satisfying.

Comment from: Todd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

Two days before I had to prepare for colonoscopy, I starting cutting back on my food intake. 1 day before my prep, I ate 3 small meals. After eating dinner I starting drinking 8 ounces of water every hour. The day of the prep, I had to drink 10 ounces of magnesium citrate; it had cherry flavor. It did not taste that bad. Then I had to take 2 Dulcolax tablets. Within 30 minutes I was going to the bathroom. It was not that bad. I kept on drinking water, eating Jell-O, banana pops, and clear white grape juice. In 8 hours I had to repeat the same process. It was not that bad. The day of the colonoscopy I was wanting to eat. Once they put me to sleep, that was real good sleep. They found 2 polyps. In 5 years I will have to go back. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Comment from: Jim L., Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I have several of these colonoscopy tests due to colitis. The first three were pretty uneventful. The last two were terrible. I woke up during one to excruciating pain and heard the doctor say give him more medications. The last one I got very sick while taking the prep. When I went in for the exam my heart rate was at 135 beats a minute and I felt very dehydrated. They did the test anyway. When I woke I had terrible abdominal pain. This went on for three days and then there was diarrhea which continued for six weeks. I'm not sure I will have another exam. My insurance is trying to force me to have another as I am due yet again.

Comment from: otterfan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had a colonoscopy last week, my second in 7 years. Prep was as expected, unpleasant but tolerable. The whole process from check-in to check-out took way longer than usual - almost 4 hours. Last time I was in and out in 1 1/2 hours. Previously I'd been given propofol with no side effects; however, this time I began sneezing in recovery and my left eye watered profusely. I'm thinking it was some kind of allergic reaction that lasted for 3 days, and oddly only affected my left eye and left nasal passage. Weird. It will make me think twice before I submit to this procedure in the future.

Comment from: Jono1125, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I had a colonoscopy yesterday. I thought (from talking to other people) that the prep would be the worst part of it. I was wrong. They gave me a sedative about 15 seconds before the procedure was started. I was awake and in excruciating pain the whole time. I was so shocked that I was feeling so much pain that I couldn't speak. When it was finally over, I asked a nurse why it was so painful. She said that I must be very 'twisty'. I couldn't make her understand that the sedation didn't work at all for me. I never felt sleepy or groggy or even calm. It was so traumatic for me, I will never, ever have another colonoscopy!

Comment from: CarlM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I had a fairly sudden change in bowel habits, along with narrowing stools. I gave it a couple of weeks but nothing improved to any significant degree so went to the doctor for a chat. Doctor suggested a colonoscopy (I'm 44), but didn't think it was significant given age and family history. Colonoscopy was scheduled for a Wednesday, on the Monday I ate very light and took some milk of magnesium on Monday night. On Tuesday I did the clear liquids, and Tuesday evening did the MoviPrep (nowhere near as bad as people say). Early next morning did round 2 of the prep and was all set. Doctor gave me propofol so I was knocked out, woke up soon after, 2 small polyps (noncancerous) were snipped out and I was all set. Nowhere near the big deal that other people have described!

Comment from: Carl Max, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

Let me start by saying, the whole process of colonoscopy was much easier than I imagined. The prep (MoviPrep) wasn't exactly delightful, but I made sure the day before the liquid diet, I ate very little, and took some milk of magnesium the night before. The MoviPrep I mixed up, refrigerated it, and at 6 pm started the 8 oz. every 15 minute process. By 6:45 I was seeing some action, and by 7:30 I was in full flow. By 10 pm it was cleaned out and I went to bed. I woke at 4:00 am and started the 2nd round of MoviPrep (I short changed the last measure - I was already passing clear fluid). The hospital was well set up and expecting me, I had an IV in the back of my hand (almost entirely painless). I was wheeled in and given a cocktail of fun drugs the last one being propofol, and off to sleep-land I went. I woke up 40 minutes later, was given all clear, and 45 minutes after that I was out the door. Painless, quick, and much fuss about nothing!

Comment from: wardy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had 2 colonoscopies the first was painful at times but bearable due to sympathetic medic. The second (this week) was excruciating. The nurse who took my details said that they did not do pain relief, only sedation and that the sedation necessitated bed rest for one and half hours afterwards so therefore it was better to go without. I have never experienced pain like it. The medic kept saying it was wind so I said stop and let me get rid of it, he took no notice and carried on. At one point I said if you don't stop hurting me so much I am going to kick you, he still didn't stop. I was frantic by that time, it was only when I felt him withdraw the thing that I breathed a sigh of relief. Why does it have to be so painful! Why can't it be done under anesthetic!

Comment from: Candace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I had a colonoscopy 10 years ago, no problem. This time however, I had pain through most of procedure. I don't know if there was not enough sedation or what, but I was gripping the rails and was doing more bearing down, panting, etc., than in childbirth. I really was very aware, but now it feels a bit more blurry. They could not get the scope to go up high enough so now I have to have a CT to do the rest. Downside is another prep and I don't know what to expect, but imagine it will be less painful. I suppose results will all follow after CT. It was a drag this time, but my Dad had stage IV colon cancer at the end of his life. Even though that was not the cause of death at 82, it has to be done for precaution. Cannot say I am looking forward to it though.

Comment from: Bobby, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

I had my colonoscopy last week. The preparation and procedure were not bad. I was able to swallow the mixture with no problem whatsoever. It tasted like watered down Gatorade and I didn't have to mix it with anything. The procedure itself went fairly quickly, five small polyps removed and all benign. I don't remember anything from the time the IV started and waking up in recovery. I was also diagnosed with diverticulitis which can be treated. For those who are afraid of getting a colonoscopy, please don't be. I cannot emphasize enough to get a colonoscopy. It can be a lifesaver.

Comment from: celest, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had a colonoscopy over a year back and I was in excruciating pain to the point where they had to stop. I am finding blood at the end of a bowel movement, it is getting heavier as each passing month, but I will not have another colonoscopy as it is too much pain. Surely they can sedate more for us who find it very painful to the point they have to stop!

Comment from: Just do it!, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I just had my first colonoscopy 8 hours ago. For the procedure itself, they gave me propofol. I was out like a light, and woke up in the recovery room. Didn't remember or feel a thing. Thirty minutes later, I was on my way home. My results were 'negative', and no polyps found. Doctor said 'We'll see you in 10 years'. My advice is, relax, just do it. It's such a simple procedure to determine if you have or are a candidate for colon cancer. After the procedure, I had a bit of gas, and a slight bloated feeling for a few hours... really nothing though. As for the prep, I drank a gallon of Gatorade mixed with Miralax, which seemed to do the trick. Pay no attention to the posters below who 'think twice before having this done'. Just do it!

Comment from: mesti, Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I had my second colonoscopy 5/2/14, no problems. I had a pleasant nap, woke up and went home. The next day I woke up with a severe pain across my lower back. I thought it was gas so I didn't do anything about it. After a few days it settled in my right side. After approximately 3 weeks it started to move around in my stomach, back and chest areas. I finally saw my doctor. He ordered an ultrasound which showed nothing, an x-ray which showed a slipped disc, which doesn't' explain the kind of pain I'm having. I will never have another colonoscopy!

Comment from: linnyjo511, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a colonoscopy done July 1st, was in the recovery room with severe left side pain but was ignored by nurses about the pain. Doctor stated he thought I was overly anxious, finally they called for ambulance that never showed up until I was already in my sister's van headed across the highway to the emergency room (ER). I can't remember that kind of pain before. I was bleeding out. I had emergency surgery where they say I had a liter of blood and they had to remove my spleen, was in ICU for several days because I also went into respiratory arrest twice during recovery. I was given 4 liters of blood and eventually 2 more. Doctor stated that my spleen had been perforated. The gastroenterologist stated that my spleen attached itself to my colon for some reason, which all seems like a badly written script.

Comment from: l johnny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

My colonoscopy was fifteen minutes of torture. It hurt like someone was ripping my intestines out. I will never go through that again. Besides the pain, it was degrading having people talking saying calm down, that doesn't hurt, be still. Ever since I had it I have been depressed and withdrawn from family and feel borderline suicidal. I have had many surgeries, broke neck. Knee, arm, and more but nothing was like this. I do not know what to do about it. I will never have another and do not know my results and do not care. I wish I could speak to my wife or something. I would rather die than go through this again and hope this has not cost me my family or life already. At 45 it was the biggest mistake of my life.

Comment from: IreneJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

When I turned 50 I had my first colonoscopy procedure and then had one every year after that due to a long history of UC (ulcerative colitis). Versed and Demerol were the drugs used for the procedure until I developed an allergy to Demerol. Since my colon is very badly twisted and scarred and fentanyl, is just not strong enough, I now am given propofol and probably fentanyl, and the experience is painless. At least I don't remember it. Now I am on the every 2 years schedule. I firmly believe that the choice of doctor really plays actively in your experience.

Comment from: scared, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have stomach pains 4 days after colonoscopy. My doctor had me take stool softeners every day for the week prior, 2 bisacodyl 2 days before and day before, citrate of magnesia bottle day before, standard dual dose MoviPrep day before and finish off a few hours later with another bottle of magnesia citrate. I never had pains ever for first 3 colonoscopies. I told him my normal bowel movements are maybe once every 2 to 3 days. I thought it was over the top preparation but now my stomach is killing me. His nurse spoke to me but he hasn't called me. I wonder if I should go to my regular doctor and tell him. I am afraid this might have really messed me up.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I just had my first ever colonoscopy 24 hours back. And as most people have stated the colon cleansing prep is the most difficult part. I'm not going to lie about that. My gastrointestinal (GI) physician requires a 2 day cleanse, with the GoLytely (soapy/salty tasting water solution) to start on the 2nd day. Let's just say I never thought I could pee from my butt! Have plenty of electrolyte based clear drinks with you. I did coconut water, some Gatorade, and chicken broth. I preferred the coconut water as I felt it was more hydrating for me. Regarding the colonoscopy, I originally wanted a light sedative because of the nasty side effect of vomiting/dry heaves when I had general anesthesia as a teenager to remove a cyst in my wrist. Not a great lasting impression for me! After speaking with the anesthesiologist, he lightly sedated me but when he informed my GI physician about this, the physician said it's best to put me out and that I wouldn't get sick. Moments later I was dozing off and out I went. Next thing I heard was the post-operation nurse calling to wake me up! The exam took 40 minutes and I was given lactic solution to keep me hydrated throughout the process. Twenty four hours later I never felt nauseous or vomited! Whew! Today I'm only feeling slightly groggy and resting. Please don't let the experience of having a colonoscopy scare you away. It's right up there with having annual physicals, mammograms, prostate screenings, etc. It could save your life. I'll find out my results soon. Don't let fear/laziness of one's own health care put you off! I say this with much sincerity.

Comment from: busy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago and I was really dreading having it done. The worse bit was having to take the medicine powders to clear your bowels. I did not need to be sedated and chose Ethonox (gas and air). Slightly painful at times, but didn't last too long. Half hour later I was on my way home. If I did need to have another one again I would choose Ethonox again.

Comment from: jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

Please don't be worried about your colonoscopy, I had mine 6 days ago and I was really nervous. It was nothing at all, I didn't want sedation, only pain relief which was wonderful. I never even noticed they had inserted the camera tube till I saw it on the screen, was in and out in ten minutes, having coffee and toast. It was totally pain free, don't worry yourself, it was fine.

Comment from: HealthyMom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I am fifty years old and I had my first colonoscopy today. Everyone said drinking the GoLytely was the worst part and that the procedure itself would be painless and the drugs would cause you not to remember any of it even though you"re not asleep; false on all accounts. The GoLytely wasn"t that bad. I mixed Crystal Light with it and had it very cold. Use a straw - that helps it pass most of the taste buds. The procedure itself was painful. I screamed, was crying and about flew off the table at one point. They gave me more drugs, which ended up putting me out but I do remember everything. I will never have another - the whole experience was degrading, embarrassing, and humiliating besides.

Comment from: pain management, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Here"s some advice. When the doctor asks if you are getting sleepy and you say "no", that should be a red flag. The IV missed the vein and the sedative didn"t work, but he started anyway. Never experienced such pain in my life. It took a while before they got me properly sedated. I could not believe how 'not' gentle the doctor was. Just shoving stuff up there like it"s a turkey being stuffed on Thanksgiving. Next time I"ll scream "no" if it"s not working.

Comment from: lollygirl52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I feel so sorry for those that had a painful experience. I have had two now, the last one being yesterday. The prep is never good for me because I can"t drink volumes of anything. I don"t like Gatorade either. I mixed mine with Miralax as directed. Earlier in the day I had chicken broth. I"d rather have salty than sweet. During the last 32 oz of the Gatorade mixture, I put a tiny bit of salt on my tongue, because then it felt like I was drinking after a pretzel or chip (without actually eating anything). I also had the Dulcolax tablets, 2 at 3 pm and 2 at 7 pm. It took a while before it all worked but in the evening I had the required results. In the morning I only rinsed my mouth after brushing my teeth, which helped. The staff at the hospital was great. The sedative in the IV worked pretty fast. The next thing I knew I was in recovery. I was pretty groggy so I know why they need you to bring a driver to get you home. I had no food for 40 hours, but I was more tired than hungry when I got home. I had a small piece of a cracker and some water and went to bed for a few hours. It is a pretty easy procedure except for the fasting and Gatorade preparation, but it is one day out of your life that can actually save a life. So it"s a no-brainer. Take the test... save your life.

Comment from: Roll11tide, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a colonoscopy today. The doctor told me how things would go. He gave me some type of drug in my IV. I went out and half way through the procedure I woke up and all I saw was the colon TV screen, it totally freaked me out. I was so awake I remember him pointing at my IV and snapping his fingers and saying give him 250 more mgs. After that I was out cold. I finally woke up and according to my wife I was saying some crazy things. Only 20 minutes after I woke up, I was wide awake no hangover drug effect. I only feel just a little soreness in my lower abdominal region. The operation went smooth. The first night I took all of the liquid flush, it didn"t work so I had to reschedule. The doctor ordered me a different flush and by the time that was gone I was in miserable pain on the toilet for about 18 hours. The doctor said I still wasn"t all the way clean, weird. After no food for 3 days my blood pressure was 99 over 59 really low. After the procedure I ate and ate I"m just glad it"s over. It"s not as bad as you would think. The procedure took only 45 minutes and 30 minutes of recovery which I did not need.

Comment from: WinnMacKinnon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have had two colonoscopies due to strong family history of colon cancer. First one went very well, preparation was Phospho soda, quick and easy. I was sedated for procedure, didn't feel a thing, woke up and went out to lunch. I had my second colonoscopy today, very different experience. Entire GoLytely preparation was a gallon of salty disgustingness which caused nausea and I was up half the night. Different doctor and a totally different experience. My sedation made me slightly sleepy but I was not asleep, felt everything. At one point as they were pressing on my belly to make the scope turn a corner the pain was so unbelievably intense that try as I did not to, I starting crying out and yelling stop. I was panting and crying and this is totally not like me. It was a nightmare I was not expecting. The nurse said to me "I don't know why you're not asleep, you've had all the drugs" but I remember every second. I'm never going through that again and I urge everyone to think twice about doing this procedure.

Comment from: ooairuhhoo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was an absolute wreck the week before the colonoscopy. I have a family history of colon cancer, so a screening was needed. I took two laxative tabs at 4pm on day before procedure. Six o' clock came the first 32oz Gatorade Miralax mixture. Doesn't taste too horrible, but since I already hate Gatorade, it was hard to finish. A couple hours later I start to feel more and more nauseated, I became pale, and had to run to the bathroom, and I started to feel weak. I began throwing up a lot before the bowel movements began. This was going on for about fifteen minutes. It was the worst part of the whole experience. Spent all night running to the bathroom. I finished the second Gatorade mix at 7:45 the next morning; lots more bathroom time. Off to the procedure where I was crying and scared. The nurses were so nice and funny, and once they gave me the IV I don't remember anything. I woke up and they told me it was time to get up. All in all, the preparation was the worst part. I was so scared for nothing.

Comment from: Caz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had my second colonoscopy done four days ago. I said the last one was painful and needed more pain relief this time. I had midazolam, which was absolutely useless. The pain was unbearable all the way through. Even though I had gas and air. I screamed all through it, used gas and air all through it. I heard the nurse on few occasions say I think you ought to stop, it's too painful for her. But they carried on. I have had two babies and one with just gas and air weighing 9 stone 5oz and never experienced pain like this. Never again will I have this done.

Comment from: Diana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had my first colonoscopy this morning at 8.30AM. I mixed the Miralax with 64oz of Gatorade lemon/lime yesterday and drank it all in 2 hours. Then I took my 4 Bisacodyl with 8oz of water. I was in and out of the bathroom most of that day. I was very nervous when I went in because I never had a colonoscopy before. They gave me something to relax me in my IV. I walked into the operation room, jumped on the table and laid on my side and next thing I knew I was in the recovering room. They found 3 polyps that were benign. I have to go back in 5 years and I won't be scared like I was today.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I had a colonoscopy last Tuesday and I started bleeding in my stools on Friday and Saturday. I went to the bathroom Sunday morning, felt faint and went white with eyes rolling; I was cool, clammy and sweating. I passed a lot of blood in stool and the ambulance took me to the hospital and I had 4 pints of blood. My hemoglobin is at 8.88 now, the highest was a ten. They gave me something to drink so I would have a bowel movement; first two were a little bloody, then it cleared up. I am home from hospital now.

Comment from: mikkim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had my first colonoscopy today at 50 years old, which I procrastinated on for several years even though my dad had colon cancer. I was dreading the test but also the fasting (since I am hypoglycemic). I realize that everyone is different but it is no big deal! Even the prep. My advice would be to choose a doctor that will use propofol to knock you out (an anesthesiologist does it) and that will have you use the Dulcolax/Miralax/Gatorade prep. Most of my cleansing happened 3 hours after taking the Dulcolax tabs, and the Miralax has no flavor so it just tasted like I was drinking regular Gatorade. I was doing things around the house between bathroom trips and it was NO big deal at all. I would suggest eating lightly for two or three days before, which is what I did. It probably made it much easier. I was not glued to the toilet for one or two hours or more. The fasting wasn't even a problem for my blood sugar. I had the upper and lower endoscopy (which is down the throat and the colonoscopy). You wake up when it's all done, so relax!

Comment from: Paul R., Male (Caregiver) Published: January 17

The procedure of colonoscopy is performed on an outpatient basis. During the procedure, an intravenous anesthesia is given to patient for sedation. A colonoscope is inserted through anus and gently passes through the colon. If a polyp is detected in the inner lining of colon then it can be removed using different instruments with the scope. Biopsy is also performed during colonoscopy, in which a tissue sample is taken for microscopic examination. The tiny camera on the tip of scope sends images on the monitor which helps the doctor to view the inside of colon. The procedure usually takes 30 minutes.

Comment from: walker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

The preparation for the colonoscopy was terrible. I am a small person, and after drinking what I was supposed to with a half-gallon of the solution I threw up violently. I made it to the sink, then in the toilet; there was blood in it. This was the 6 pm start ending at 8 pm. I tried calling the doctor because in the instructions that came with the solution it said to seek medical attention or call your doctor. After calls to many people, I finally got the pharmacy. He said not to drink any more of it. I did not finish the solution and almost didn't go to the surgery. But I did. My bowel movements were all watery but cloudy; no solid matter. The doctor was able to perform the colonoscopy and I came out with 1 polyp on which they will biopsy. That so much liquid to be consumed in such a short period of time was my problem. The procedure at the hospital was very easy, prepare, sleep, awake and go home. Then think about what you want to eat.

Comment from: Tricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

There has to be a better way. I was encouraged by the man who suggested a colonoscopy. I asked my new doctor if this was an option and she said no. My preparation was horrific as always, scalding diarrhea, nausea, headache and fatigue that lasted the next 4 days. Diapers are always a good idea. I would not get one again but the doctor found a polyp and I have a history of colon cancer in my family. Explore all your options and insist the doctor listens to you.

Comment from: Pearl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

After having gone through two separate colonoscopy preparations with Nulytely that made me sick as a dog with headaches and nausea, I did some online research and devised a plan that worked like a charm. I stopped eating meat 7 days before the prep, ate low-residue foods (rice, white bread with butter, etc.) for 3 days, followed by a clear liquid diet for 2 days. Then on prep day as instructed I drank the Miralax in Gatorade. It was a breeze! No nausea, no cramping. I'd much rather be hungry for a few days than suffer through another horrible prep.

Comment from: Sandi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had two colonoscopies and getting ready to have a third. I have to have them every 5 years because my sister had colon cancer. I have never had any problems with the procedure afterwards. Just the preparation is what is so bad. The doctor and staff have always been so sweet and attentive. I would definitely have the sleep medications as I don't want to know anything or remember anything.

Comment from: mwtbo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I am a veteran of these tests because I have always had polyps, so it is colonoscopy every 18 to 24 months for me. I am getting ready for colonoscopy 10 this weekend. Ok, so don't get all grossed out on me, but wear Depend Real Fit or Silhouette or one of the other good pull-ups for adults. First, if you use enough diaper ointment from the start this will keep it from getting all over your underwear and clothing. It also prevents any minor accidents, and they do happen sometimes. It is also more hygienic. After the procedure, you will pass gas (hopefully nothing more) for most of the day, and if polyps are removed possibly some mucus and slight blood. The Depends handle all that very well. Don't be shy, the nurses have seen it all before, sometimes they have even given me a fresh diaper before going home if the one I wore is not usable again. And your significant other should be caring and understanding, and no one else will ever know what you wear for a day. Trust me, just add this to your 'party supplies' and relax.

Comment from: wbty, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I had my first colonoscopy yesterday, I'm 71. The prep Purg-Odan was ok, surprised at how good it was. Everything was ok. I told myself, just relax and think of the alternative... this was a procedure for my doctor just to make sure everything was ok. He found a polyp and removed. If you need it do it…

Comment from: Mrs. Quigly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I am on my 3rd procedure preparation. I'm waiting for doctor to call because of vomiting Miralax. I never had problems before. I have been through many medical procedures so I am not a big baby. Something tells me that this amount of Miralax liquid isn't for everyone. I used low residue diet 4 days prior. Took it upon myself to do 2 days of clear liquids and then prep today. I will see what the gastroenterologist says. However I am very close to cancelling procedure due to my inability to keep anything down. I wait 30 minutes between mouthfuls to no avail.

Comment from: della, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I was calm before the colonoscopy; relaxed in the knowledge that I would be given analgesic via the cannula even though I was not to be sedated; no provision of 12 hour supervision. Initially all was ok, then acute pain which I could not tolerate. Offered air/oxygen was useless. Clinician did not seem to know details and eventually put 50 units of some painkiller into my cannula; all too late. I now await CT scan.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am having post colonoscopy pain in left side. I"ve read this from other people posting their questions, but haven"t read any advice/remedies, I had the procedure 5/5. It is 5/10. No other symptoms but some slight bloating.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had my colonoscopy yesterday. I was told l wouldn"t remember anything, it was very painful, the doctor said it was because they were going around a corner. I had both the pain relief plus the sedative. They even gave more pain relief to help, it is still painful, this morning. I feel as though someone has been kicking me in the stomach.

Comment from: jengelbells78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I"m 35 and tomorrow is my first colonoscopy as well as EGD. My preparation was today, using Gavilyte. I really wish I was told to start this sooner than what they told me. I did end up starting it two hours before I was told and I am glad I did, but still think it would have been better if I started even earlier. The original time was 5 pm and 5 am the day of procedure. But then on the instructions it says nothing by mouth, including liquids 5 hours before the procedure. Anyway, it"s 9 pm and I"m just barely at the "yellow" point. The Gavilyte is so nasty. A lemon packet came with it that made it a little bit more tolerable, along with putting an ice cube in it and drinking through a straw. I'm not sure how much more I can take. I hope I"m cleaned out enough for this to happen.

Comment from: amrcnbut, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a colonoscopy, the nicest experience, the staff was courteous and professional and the doctor was very informative. It went fine and the next thing I remember was the nurse saying it was over. Since my father died from colon cancer I have one every 5 years starting at 55. I"m looking forward to my next one when I'm 70.

Comment from: Larryt39, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a colonoscopy on Tuesday. It went well, with removal of 3 polyps, and then two days later, I developed pain under my right rib cage. It's a burning sensation, it's been about 24 hours since this pain started. Not sure if there is an actual issue, or it is part of the recovery. I didn't have any polyps with my first test 10 years ago.

Comment from: Danny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I had the usual preparation the day before with the Duolax and Miralax with Gatorade the day before; no problems there. The IV and propofol was administered, and before I knew it I was awake and finished. I had 3 polyps removed and will know the results in a few weeks. The staff were great and I am at home just a little groggy.

Comment from: lanamoon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I just had a colonoscopy on December 5th, 2013. It was my first time. I drank the nasty thick cherry flavored laxative that was prescribed and went to the endoscopy clinic. A registered nurse shoved an IV into my hand. It burned so bad. Then when I went in for the procedure another person administered the anesthetic into my IV. Oh my goodness. It felt like acid being pumped into my hand. It burned so very badly I cried out. They told me that was normal. Normal? You ought to see my hand today. It is swollen and the entire top of my hand is black. The vein is puffed up. It is numb. After the colonoscopy was over, I was made to stand up and walk to another room. I was so confused I didn't know where I was. Now it is all over I can hardly have a bowel movement.

Comment from: Glo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy on Monday November 18. I am 51 years old and this will be my second one. I had one in 2005 at the age of 43. I had bleeding during a bowel movement in 2005 and decided to arrange for a colonoscopy back then. A benign polyp was removed. With this one, I am scared about the utilization of propofol however, I was reassured by my doctor all will be fine. Not looking forward to drinking the bowel prep; yet, I know this is worth the time and effort for the procedure and hoping for the best for my health.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had my first colonoscopy yesterday. It was much easier than I expected. The hardest part was drinking so much liquid in a short period of time in prepping for the procedure. I did not experience any cramping or nausea. The procedure was fast. I'm sure every experience is different, depending on the facility, the physician and nurses. I was given a sedative and slept right through the whole thing. Not anyone's favorite thing to do, but for anyone that is hesitating, just getting it done could save your life.

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It was easy. The prep was just an inconvenience and I had a severe headache from the night before. They told me most likely it was caffeine withdrawal from no coffee. I went in at 9:15, got an IV; the next thing I knew I woke up and was done. I couldn't believe it. I was out by 10:20. I worried for nothing due to horror stories. What a relief knowing I am good for 10 years! Just needed to find a good doctor and staff.

Comment from: Unhappyinohio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I just had a colonoscopy. The prep wasn't that bad, and the test was not that bad. However, I was released, sent home, then major pain began in my stomach area. Had to be taken to emergency room, learned that they perforated my bowel! Had emergency surgery right away, resulting in a colostomy, which can and will be reversed, but what a nightmare!

Comment from: BennyD, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

This was the second time I have had a colonoscopy and it was much better this time. Last time I was told to drink oral Fleet, this time was Citromag, which worked better and faster. Not to diminish the fact that the prep is definitely unpleasant but the purgative does make a difference at least for me. The actual procedure was simple, painless, the easiest part of the entire process. From the time I arrived at the hospital until I walked out the front door was one and a half hours.

Comment from: Craig R, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a colonoscopy done in an outpatient setting on August 22, 2013. The entire procedure was done in the most professional manner and I hope to know soon the results of a few biopsies. Truly the hardest part was the prep. Drinking the gallon of GoLytely, 1/2 gallon at a time, and the effects of that wore me out. Otherwise my procedure was started both upper and lower at 1:30 p.m. and by 4:30 p.m. I had consumed a great steak and potato meal. No after problems at all.

Comment from: shakspear, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

If I could have crawled off the table during my colonoscopy I would have, but I was sedated enough I couldn't move, I could just say, "It hurts - help me." Never again. That was torture. I'm 71 and that's the first and last I will ever have. My father died of colon cancer so I was talked into having one.

Comment from: goodnews, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I just had a screening colonoscopy today. The preparation is the most difficult – no food, and little sleep, due to having to go to the toilet all the time! The procedure itself was no problem at all. I had propofol anesthesia (given through an IV by a board-certified anesthesiologist) – which is the best way to do this. I went to sleep right away, felt nothing, and woke up with no side effects. The board-certified gastroenterologist (yes, I only see doctors who are board-certified) explained the procedure to me ahead of time, and personally told me the findings after. She also gave me a typed report with photos. I had no polyps, no cancer, and don't need to do this for another 10 years. Don't let the negative experiences you can read about colonoscopies discourage you. Just find a place that uses propofol and board-certified specialists.

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I had my colonoscopy done in Seoul, Korea. The pretest period included three days of a restricted diet, avoiding aspirin, and the last day before the test, eating only rice gruel. Between 5 and 9 a.m. on the day of test, I drank a glass of colyte at 10 minute intervals, and gasocol. At 4 p.m. I received a shot in the butt and waited about 30 minutes for it to take effect; apparently it was a muscle relaxer, as it did not seem to make me groggy. I was told to lie on my left side at the beginning of the exam, and later on my back with the right leg crossing the left; I watched the procedure on a color monitor. Before the doctor put the probe in, it seems he put on some local anesthetic to numb the rectum; I didn't feel the probe as it entered, nor could I feel it as it snaked through the colon. No problems with "corners." Everything seemed pretty clean, although there were pockets of liquid that the doctor suctioned out. Everything seemed fine, until as he was withdrawing the probe. Carefully examining the vaults, he found one very small polyp. I couldn't distinguish it from the surrounding tissue. I watched as he looped and removed it. I couldn't feel anything; it was entirely painless. When it was over, I walked back to the waiting room where I received some instructions about diet, activities and risks relating to the excision of the polyp. Then I dressed and went home. So far so good except for the polyp. My test results are due next week.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter