A colonoscopy is a procedure whereby a docotor inserts a viewing tube (colonoscope) into the rectum for the purpose of inspecting the colon. Colonoscopy is the best method currently available to diagnose, detect, and treat abnormalities within the colon. Read more: Colonoscopy (Test, Side Effects, Preparation, Recovery) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Ulcerative Colitis Quiz: Diet, Symptoms & Treatment
What is ulcerative colitis and what risks are associated with suffering over the long term? Take this Ulcerative Colitis Quiz to...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Diverticulitis
Diverticula can be seen via barium x-ray (barium enema). See a picture of Diverticulitis and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Diverticulosis
Diverticulosis is a condition where a patient has diverticula in the colon. See a picture of Diverticulosis and learn more about...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Picture of Colon Cancer
Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from colonic polyps. Removal of these precancerous polyps can prevent colon cancer....
Colon Cancer: Symptoms, Signs, Screening, Stages
Colorectal cancer (colon cancer) is the cause of many cancer deaths. Learn about the warning signs, symptoms, screening process,...
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
Diverticulitis (diverticulosis) is a condition in which the diverticulum or diverticula rupture in the colon causing infection....
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Signs, Stages
Learn about ovarian cancer symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments. Follow the progression of ovarian cancer stages from stage 1 to...
Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Ulcerative Colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease and is slightly different than Crohn's disease. Your diet can impact...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
Signs of Cancer in Men: Could it Be Cancer?
See pictures of which 15 cancer symptoms men ignore such as skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight loss, a breast...
Related Disease Conditions
Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis) Symptoms, Signs Treatment Remedies, Diet
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs...
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes...
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Hemorrhoids (Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments)
Hemorrhoids (piles) are swollen veins in the rectum and anus. Causes include pregnancy, obesity, diarrhea, low-fiber diet, and...
An anal fissure is a small tear or cut in the skin lining of the anus. Pain and/or rectal bleeding during bowel movements are...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis, Diverticular Disease)
Most people with diverticulosis have few if any symptoms at all. When people do experience signs and symptoms of diverticulosis...
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment, and Test
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
There are many types of ovarian cancer, epithelial carcinoma is the most common. Women with a family history of ovarian cancer...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Colon polyps are common growths on the inner lining of the colon. Colon polyps may become cancerous. There are several different...
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease, primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can affect...
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the colon. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding....
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)
Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium, and is one of the most common causes of infection of the colon. C. difficile...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Anal cancer, cancer located at the end of the large intestine, has symptoms that include anal or rectal bleeding, anal pain or...
Microscopic Colitis (Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis)
Microscopic colitis (lymphocytic colitis and collagenous colitis) is a disease of inflammation of the colon. Microscopic colitis...
Aortic Valve Stenosis (Symptoms, Causes, Surgery)
Aortic valve stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the aortic valve of the heart. The causes of aortic stenosis are wear and tear...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)
The inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). The intestinal complications of...
FODMAPs (Low FODMAP Diet for IBS)
FODMAPs are foods that contain sugar alcohols and short chain carbohydrates. The gut can't digest them very well. There are "low"...
Endocarditis, a serious infection of one of the four heart valves is caused by growth of bacteria on one of the heart valves;...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Bowel or fecal incontinence refers to the loss of voluntary control of stool, or bowel movements. The condition can include...
Amebiasis (Entamoeba histolytica Infection)
Amebiasis is an infection caused by an amoeba. Signs and symptoms include bloody stools, abdominal pain, weight loss, fever, and...
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Carcinoid Syndrome (Carcinoid Tumor)
A carcinoid tumor is a tumor that develops from enterochromaffin cells. The important characteristic of carcinoid tumors that...
Schistosomiasis (snail fever), a disease caused by parasites, causes a variety of symptoms and signs, such as cough, rash and...
Crohn's Disease vs. Ulcerative Colitis (UC): Differences and Similarities
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are diseases that cause inflammation of part of or the entire digestive tract (GI)....
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Hirschsprung Disease (Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Hirschsprung disease is an inherited condition that is present at birth (congenital) in which the nerves of parts of the large...
Melanosis coli is a condition that is often associated with prolonged laxative use. Dark pigment forms in the wall of the large...
Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)
Primary sclerosing cholangitis or PSC is a disease of the liver. The cause of PSC is not known. Symptoms may include itching,...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Diet: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a name for a group of diseases in which there is inflammation of the digestive tract...
Gardner's Syndrome (Familial Adenomatous Polyposis)
Gardners' syndrome, or familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), is an inherited condition in which cancer of the colon and rectum...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Ulcerative Colitis FAQs
- Doctors Answer Digestion Questions
- Can virtual colonoscopy replace actual colonoscopy
- What Does a Barium Enema Test For?
- Hospitals: Can Yours Handle Your Emergency?
- Bleeding Ulcer Symptoms and Causes
- Biopsy: Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before a Biopsy
- Ray Manzarek Dies of Bile Duct Cancer
- Hepatitis C: Nightmare in Vegas
- Cancer Care in the Elderly
- Colonoscopy With No Sedation
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Could a Blood Test Spot Early Stage Colon Cancer?
- $100 Sweetens the Pot for a Colonoscopy
- Easier Colon Exam Boosts Screening, But Insurers May Not Pay
- Cancer Deaths Higher in Rural America, CDC Reports
- Blacks More Prone to Colon Cancers That Arise Between Colonoscopies: Study
- Get Ready for Your 'Capsule Robot' Colon Cancer Check
- Delay a Needed Colonoscopy at Your Own Risk
- Many Disabled Adults Aren't Screened for Colon Cancer: Study
- Prolonged Antibiotic Use Tied to Precancerous Colon Growths
- Many Dialysis Patients Get Unnecessary Colonoscopies
- Keep Colon Cancer at Bay
- Study Questions 'Fecal Transplant' Treatment for Gut Infection
- Obamacare Boosts Breast Cancer Screening, Study Finds
- Vitamin E, Selenium Don't Cut Colon Cancer Risk: Study
- Some Low-Income, Uninsured Patients Aren't Referred for Colonoscopy
- Colorectal Cancers on the Rise in Younger Adults
- Colon Cancer's Location May Determine Patient Survival
- Survey: Doctor/Patient Disconnect on Cancer Prevention
- To Help Prevent Colon Cancer, 'Listen to Your Gut'
- Study: Colonoscopy After 75 May Not Be Worth It
- Is a New at-Home Colon Cancer Test for You?
- Researchers Get Closer to Test Predicting Colon Cancer's Return
- Regular Doctor Visits Can Help Spot Colon Cancer
- Expert Panel Reaffirms Need for Colon Cancer Screen Beginning at Age 50
- Low-Dose Aspirin Tied to Longer Colon Cancer Survival
- Colon Cancer Rising in People Under 50
- Time to Drop the 'No-Eating Rule' Before Colonoscopy?
- Tumor Location Affects Colon Cancer Survival: Study
- Small Study Supports New Stool-Based Colon Cancer Test
- Happy Marriage May Prompt Men to Get Colonoscopy: Study
- Study: Fecal Transplants May Help Colitis
- Canadian Medical Panel Advises Against Routine Colonoscopy
- Health Tip: Restrict Your Diet Before Colonoscopy
- Time to Follow-Up After a Positive Colon Cancer Test Varies by Hospital
- Study Finds Stool Test Effective for Detecting Colon Cancer
- Frozen as Good as Fresh for Fecal Transplant: Study
- The Rise of the Do-It-Yourself Fecal Transplant
- Vitamin D, Calcium May Not Prevent Colon Cancer After All
- Colonoscopy Findings Fade Quickly From Memory
- Longer Colonoscopy Time May Cut Cancer Risk
- Former President Carter's Cancer: FAQ
- 'Scoring System' May Spot Those in Greatest Need of Colonoscopy
- Summer Danger: BBQ Grill Brush Wires Causing Big Health Woes
- The Doctor Who Does Your Colonoscopy Matters
- Too Few Younger, High-Risk Americans Get a Colonoscopy: Study
- Many Americans Not Getting Routine Cancer Screenings: CDC
- Report Shows Progress in America's War on Cancer
- Fecal Transplant Treats Serious, Recurrent Intestinal Infection
- Vegetarian Diet May Lower Colon Cancer Risk, Study Suggests
- Colon Cancer's Location May Be Factor in Survival
- Falling Cancer Death Rate Means 1.5 Million Lives Saved Over 20 Years
- Colon Cancer on the Rise for U.S. Adults Under 50
- 'Purpose in Life' a Boon to Your Health
- 'Angelina Jolie Effect' Prompted More Testing for Breast Cancer Genes: Study
- Polyp Removal Doesn't Always Signal Raised Colon Cancer Risk, Study Says
- Study: Many Seniors Get Unnecessary Cancer Tests
- New At-Home Colon Cancer Test: FAQ
- New Colorectal Cancer Screening Test Approved
- Sigmoidoscopy Does Cut Risk of Dying From Colon Cancer: Study
- Black Veterans Less Likely to Get Colon Cancer Screening, Study Finds
- FDA Approves Highly Accurate At-Home Colon Cancer Test
- Scientists Explore How Fecal Transplant Eases Tough Infection
- Half a Million Cancers Prevented by Colon Screenings: Study
- First-Time Colon Cancer Screening May Be Beneficial for Elderly
- Just Seeing a Doctor May Boost the Odds of Surviving Melanoma
- New Colon Polyp Removal Method May Be Easier on Patients
- Aspirin's Ability to Prevent Colon Cancer May Depend on Your Genes
- Frozen as Good as Fresh for Fecal Transplants for Diarrhea: Study
- Doctors' Skill at Colonoscopy May Affect Patients' Colon Cancer Risk: Study
- FDA Advisory Panel Recommends Approval of At-Home Colon Cancer Test
- Colonoscopy Is Good, Not Perfect
- At-Home Stool Test for Colon Cancer Called Accurate, But Not Foolproof
- Post-Surgical Tests Might Help Spot Colon Cancer's Return
- 1 in 3 Not Meeting Colon Cancer Screening Guidelines: CDC
- Too Much Sitting Tied to Higher Risk of Colon Polyps in Men
- Current Colon Cancer Screening Guidelines Might Miss Some Patients
- Poo in a Pill to Treat Gut Infection?
- Seeing Doctor Regularly May Cut Your Colon Cancer Risk
- Colon Cancer Screenings Work, Twin Studies Report
- Aspirin Every Other Day May Lower Women's Colon Cancer Risk
- Gene-Based Blood Test for Colon Cancer Shows Promise
- Another Study Finds Colonoscopy Can Save Lives
- Gene-Based Blood Test Might Help Spot Colon Cancer
- Prepping for a Colonoscopy: Why It's a Necessary Evil
- Delaying Colonoscopy Puts Man in Grave Danger
- New Device May Show Doctors More of the Colon
- Seniors Getting Unnecessary Colonoscopies: Study
- Colonoscopy Cuts Advanced Cancer Risk by 70 Percent: Study
- Which Cancer Tests Do You Really Need?
- Fecal 'Transplant' to Cure Gut Infection?
- Surgery Checklists Help OR Teams in a Crisis, Study Finds
- U.S. Cancer Screening Rates Dropping: Study
- Boomers Zero In on Health at Age 50 and 65, Study Says
- Big Drop in Colon Cancer Attributed to Colonoscopy
- Race, Income Tied to Late Colon Cancer Diagnoses, Study Finds
- New DNA Test Shows Promise for Spotting Colon Cancer
- New Prep for Colon Screen Uses Four Pills, Not Liquid Laxative
- Missing Follow-Up Colonoscopies Could Raise Colon Cancer Risk
- Health Reform: No-Cost Contraception Starts Today
- Genes May Be Key for Patients With Multiple Colon Polyps
- New Drug Approved for Colonoscopy Preparation
- No Dip in Cancer Screening for Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
- Treating Irritable Bowel Poses Challenges
- Some Docs Would Order Cancer Screening for Very Sick Elderly
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Colon Polyps
- Health Tip: Preparing for Colonoscopy
- Colonoscopy May Detect Curable Cancer in Elderly: Study
- Patients Prefer More Invasive Form of Colon Scan: Study
- People With Diabetes May Need Earlier Colon Screen
- Moveable Magnets Used to Forge Gastric Bypass in Pigs
- Sigmoidoscopy Cuts Colon Cancer Cases, Deaths
- Blacks, Hispanics Have Higher Colon Polyp Risk Than Previously Thought
- The Laxative-Free 'Virtual Colonoscopy'
- Many Patients Skip Recommended Colonoscopy: Study
- Many Medical Tests, Procedures Not Always Needed
- Obese White Women Shying Away From Colon Cancer Screening
- New Stool Test Might Aid in Early Detection of Colon Cancer
- Inadequate Bowel Prep May Invalidate Colonoscopy
- Cancer Deaths Continue to Fall
- New Colon Cancer Screening Guidelines Focus on Individual Risk
- Too Many Americans Skipping Colon Cancer Screening
- Study Supports CT-Based 'Virtual' Colonoscopy to Spot Colon Cancer
- Many Cancer Deaths Prevented by Colonoscopy
- Worries About Colonoscopy Unfounded: Study
- Alternative to Colonoscopy Spots Cancers, Too
- Common Gastro Disease Occurs Even With High-Fiber Diet
- Too Few Americans Getting Screened for Common Cancers: CDC
- CDC: Cancer Screening Below Target Rates
- Resolve to Take Colon Cancer Test, Experts Say
- From Bad to Better: U.S. Cancer Rates Continue to Drop
- British Screening Program Finding More Early Stage Colon Cancers
- Diabetes Linked to Precancerous Colon Growths
- Could Listening to Mozart Help Doctors Spot Colon Polyps?
- Fecal Transplant May Treat Stubborn C. diff
- Do Men Need Colon Cancer Screening Earlier Than Women Do?
- Osteoporosis Drugs Linked to Lower Cancer Risk
- Dogs Can Detect Early Colorectal Cancer
- Animal Farms May Produce Superbugs
- New Colon Cancer Screening Test in the Works
- Aspirin May Cut Colon Cancer Deaths
- Rectal Cancer on the Rise in Young People
- CDC: More Cancer Screenings Needed to Save Lives
- Polyp-Finding Skill Is Key to Colonoscopy Success
- Single Screening Cuts Colon Cancer Risk
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter