Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Diagnosis

Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I recently had a colonoscopy due to blood in the stool after having an abnormal FOBT (fecal occult blood test). The doctor removed one polyp but found a mass 5 mm in size. Just waiting on the biopsy results. Blood work came back normal and kidneys are fine too. Colonoscopy was very well performed with no complications whatsoever. Get checked!

Comment from: Jan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

When I turned 54, I had my first colonoscopy. I saw the doctor because I was having constant diarrhea and couldn't get off the toilet. A tumor the size of a small potato was found and I had to have 10 inches of my colon removed. I've been diligent to have colonoscopies since then. Yesterday, I had six large polyps; the doctor couldn't get all of one out. Now I need to go see someone higher than him, and if they can't get it out, I'll need surgery. I'm wishing biopsy results didn't take so long!

Comment from: rdmbjm75, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am a 69 year old female who had one pre-cancerous polyp found in the ascending colon removed when I was 35 after experiencing recurring unexplained diarrhea. Repeated colonoscopy the following year and no additional polyps were found. I have had routine colonoscopy every five years since and have been polyp free. I went in last Friday for my current routine colonoscopy and the doctor found "many" (his words) 3mm polyps in the sigmoid colon. He resected and retrieved them and I am still waiting for the results. I also had an endoscopy done last Friday and they discovered I have developed a hiatal hernia in my esophagus. No history of colon cancer in my family but my mother died from cancer of the lymph glands and my half-brother (my mother"s son) had bladder cancer.

Comment from: Distressed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

After 8 years of first nausea, then came intense pain, pain so bad it put me on the ground, I first was taken to the hospital, where they said I was having female problems. So the rounds of tests began, all female parts related tests, of course there was nothing wrong, I knew this, but was told by doctors that I was having female problems or that it was in my head. I had a biopsy done by a gynecologist and was told there was nothing there. I was put on medication for depression as it kept getting worse. Finally after 8 years of getting worse and worse, I went to the restroom and lost about 1/2 cup blood, I thought I had started menstruating after 10 years of not, but that was not the case. I started losing a great amount of blood on a daily basis. Finally after blacking out at work I was taken again to the hospital and was told to get a colonoscopy, I was not totally put out so kept waking up during the procedure. But the doctor diagnosed ulcerative proctitis. I was put on medication and it helped somewhat, but then the bleeding became intense and I was blacking out again. I went back in for a second colonoscopy and the doctor found and removed several polyps, the diagnosis stayed the same and I was prescribed two types of medications. I've been in and out of remission, now I am not; I am bleeding again and losing white and bloody clumps of tissue like substance. I called immediately for help (my original doctor retired), after calling 3 doctors I got one who will see me in 3 weeks, I don't know what's going to happen. I'm scared big time, the pain is at times unbearable, I'm at my wits end, and it would be nice to find a doctor that not only likes taking my money but one that wants to help me; I doubt bleeding and losing clumps of tissue is normal.

Comment from: sf, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm a 34 year old male, went to a gastroenterologist after lower left abdominal pain and irregular bowel movements. After taking Metamucil for a year without any real improvement, I went through a colonoscopy, where they found a large benign polyp. In the first 2 days after the polypectomy my stomach hurt and I was bloated, but now 5 days after I feel a lot better, way better than I did before the colonoscopy. I am very grateful for the amazing medical technology of our times that can fix issues like that in minutes with virtually no pain.

Comment from: Ash, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 03

Non-cancerous colon polyps were found during my colonoscopy.

Comment from: ella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), colonoscopy was done and they found 5 polyps, 3 of which were precancerous. I am worried, I feel like there is more going on other than IBS.

Comment from: marion, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a abnomel ct scan which showed a small mass so had a colonoscopy. I was told I had a 2mm sessile polyp which was removed. Am I likely to get cancer in the future.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter