Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: LS650, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have no obvious symptoms of colon polyps. My grandfather died of colon cancer at 83. Father had some precancerous polyps removed last summer at age 73. I had a FIT (fecal immunochemical test), stool sample test after turning 50, and the result was abnormal. I went in for a colonoscopy and they found three polyps, two fairly small and one about 10 mm wide. Now I am waiting for biopsy but expect good news. Likely I will have to re-scope in a couple of years.

Comment from: Katy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

My mother and brother both passed away with colon cancer, and my niece had her colon removed permanently. I had 25 polyps removed 6 months ago, and have to reschedule because more are growing but they have to grow big enough to remove.

Comment from: Sally, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 15

My father had polyps; mother may have had them also. Mine is a single duodenal polyp, one tubular adenoma, 2nd part, 15 mm.

Comment from: Karthik, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I had my first colonoscopy and three adenomatous polyps (tubular adenomas) around 5 mm were removed at age 38. My father was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at 76. The cancer was metastasized to only one of the lymph nodes and he had a small part of the colon removed. He is perfectly healthy now and has been cancer free for the past three years. Now I seriously wonder why almost all of the articles and the doctors say we should start screening with a colonoscopy 10 years before the age at which your first degree relative was diagnosed.

Comment from: Lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had colon cancer and surgery. I had no risk factors prior to the discovery of cancer. No cancer in my family and I had no indications that I had cancer; no pain or other signs, except low blood count.

Comment from: Berta, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 20

At 50, I had colonoscopy, and all good. At 60 and a fecal test showing blood, I had a 2nd one. IU have diverticulitis, I understand that is normal for my age; and 1 polyp, tubular adenoma. I was told I had to be rechecked in 3 months. Most people say 1 year. I am not sure why only 3 months.

Comment from: dave, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

Over the years I have gone to one doctor and have had three colonoscopies. Each time he told me that I have polyps but they were non-cancerous. But he never removed them. A few day after the procedures I began having the same constipation problems I had prior to the procedures. I wonder why, since they were not cancerous, he didn't remove them. It's almost like he's cultivating them in order to make sure patients return. Right or wrongly I have decided to try to reduce the size of the polyps through natural healing.

Comment from: Kevin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I just had a 6 centimeter polyp removed from my rectum/colon. I'm only 33, I'm kind of freaking out waiting on lab results. The doctor showed it to me, it was huge. My wife started crying.

Comment from: AZmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My mother was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at 58. My primary care physician said I didn't need a colonoscopy until 48. I went to a specialist anyway because I had used my 10K deductible and 5K out of pocket. That doctor said the rule was to test at age 40 or 10 years earlier than relative's diagnosis whatever is sooner. I had no symptoms, but 5 polyps were removed. My mom is alive 13 years later because her cancer was removed after shrinking it first with radiation and chemotherapy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a colonoscopy in 2010 which showed a few polyps that were not removed. I was told I had diverticulitis and that I would be followed up in 5 years. Since then I lost my beloved sister to bowel cancer which spread to her liver, lungs and pancreas. I informed my general physician and my District Health Board but feel I am not being considered as high risk.

Comment from: Junegirl99, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am a 34 year old female. I have recently seen a gastroenterologist due to blood and mucus in my stool that I had been experiencing for about 6 months to a year. The gastroenterologist ordered a colonoscopy. During the colonoscopy he found a 12 to 13 mm pedunculated 'tubulovillous adenoma' (benign) polyp. I know these are somewhat rare for my age. I will now have to have a follow up colonoscopy in 3 years (I plan to try to get one sooner though). My grandmother died from colon cancer at age 78. My mom and dad have never had colonoscopies and are in their 50s. Although they have no gastrointestinal symptoms, I'm encouraging them to get colonoscopies since I had an adenoma at an early age.

Comment from: vicky k., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 46 and six months ago I had a colonoscopy and they removed 3 polyps one was level 4 cancer cells. I was told to have another scope in 6 months which was last Thursday, where they found 4 more. Now I am waiting for the pathology report. And wondering how worried I should be that they came back so soon. Also my grandmother died from rectal cancer. Any help I can get on this would be great.

Comment from: Christie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I am 42, just had my first colonoscopy due to hemorrhoids and mild rectal bleeding. I have an aunt who had colon cancer at 47 years old. They found, and removed, two polyps, one 8 mm and one 15 mm. Due to the 15 mm one, I have to have a repeat colonoscopy in a year. Now I have to wait for the pathology results.

Comment from: MaMa Kim 65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have a strong family history of colon cancer and polyps. I have a colonoscopy every 2 years. I usually have 5 maybe 6 polyps. This time I had 40; they"re very small and my doctor removed almost half of them. Waiting on the biopsy results. I'm wondering if I will have to have my colon removed. My mom had hers removed several years ago. She had between 50 and 100 polyps. Her dad, younger sister both died of colon cancer before they were 60, also my great uncle passed around the same age of colon cancer.

Comment from: heusdenssi30, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

My mother died at 50 of colon cancer. My father's mother died around 70, of colon cancer. I have been screened twice, at 40 and 43; I had 5 colon polyps the first time. The second time, I had 3 colon polyps. None of the polyps where cancerous! I am almost 46 going to my third screen consulting to have this done again. I hope it will be good news again.

Comment from: Cancer Advocate, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 42-year-old female who just had a second colonoscopy, and a polyp was found. I began getting colonoscopies at 39 and was told to have one every three years because my father died of colon cancer at age 52, one of my uncles had rectal cancer, and another uncle had polyps. The first colonoscopy I had found no polyps, but this one did, and I am waiting for biopsy results. I would recommend a colonoscopy to anyone. It saves lives. The most uncomfortable part is the prep the day before, but it is such a small price to pay for a life-saving procedure.

Comment from: Alex, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had my colonoscopy performed today. I am 33 years old and I had been asking my doctor to get checked for the past year or so. My mother was diagnosed in February of 2008 with colon cancer at age 63 and died in May. Since then, I really have been insisting even though my doctor kept saying that I was too young. He referred me to a specialist. Other then the 4L Klean Prep that I had to drink, everything went very well. It was quick and nicely done! My doctor found two polyps and removed them, so I am glad I went, and now I am good for the next five years. Get checked!

Comment from: smith, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I got a colonoscopy back in September when I was 16. The doctor told me I had hemorrhoids and a couple of polyps that he removed. I got the colonoscopy because I had rectal bleeding that had been getting worse, not severe, but worse than it was. My great-grandmother had polyps, so it was hereditary. They were only about 1 or 2 centimeters. He told me to come back to get another colonoscopy in three years. A few hours ago, I was having diarrhea, and the first thing that I saw was blood. I'm going to make a doctor's appointment to see what her options for me are, as I am pretty confused.

Comment from: fred snurt, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I had a colonoscopy 2 and a half years ago at the age of 51. They removed 25 various sized polyps almost for 2 hours; not fun. Four were suspected ready to turn ugly. I had a second one 11 months later for checkup, and another 20 new ones were found and removed. I was told it was not a good sign and the chances of bowel cancer were very high risk. I am going to have another one in a few weeks, I am down to 6 month checkups now.

Comment from: ArmyBrat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I'm 25. One day in August of 2014 I had really bad menstrual/stomach issues. I would be on it for months on and off weeks at a time. So I went in, got an ultrasound done and I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Well, it didn't stop there; I still had pains but worse. I wasn't eating, slept all the time, my body hurt nonstop and I kept gaining weight even though I am highly active. So I went in again and I was told I had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). A few months later and pain still getting worse, I got a CT scan which revealed inflammation in my intestine so I ended up getting a colonoscopy in January and they found a precancerous polyp. I didn't get much detail on how big or how extensive but with my follow up appointment where I got the results, he still didn't say how big, but I was told it was precancerous and if I waited two more years it would've turned into colon cancer. I was shocked because no one in my family has this issue, and no one has died from any cancer that is blood related. Now that the polyp is removed I'm still having horrible pains, my body still hurts all the time, I can't eat without gagging first or feeling sick after, and going to the bathroom is horrible it leads to so much pain. I'm still gaining weight, unlike most people who I hear of losing it. I don't know if the cysts in the ovaries are adding to the weight or not but I am lost for words and so drained I don't know what to do. All this hit me within a 6 month period and it hasn't got better nor has my doctor really helped. I didn't get any medicines other than what I got for the cyst issue which was a ton of birth control, fiber pills (which don't help) and antacid pills (Nexium).

Comment from: morefun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

My occult blood test was positive. My dad has had 2 colonoscopies in 3 years with 2 to 3 small polyps each time at age 75. He was told they were pre cancer. I went in for my first colonoscopy this week at 58 and they found and removed 12. Ten were 1 to 2 cm in size and 1 was 10 to 12 cm while the bleeder was 22 to 24 and was removed with the scope being pulled. They said something about rooting. A clip was placed on it. It took two hours and 45 minutes, unsedated due to cardiac and apnea issues. It is still well worth the pain. I'm just waiting for the biopsy results. Get checked people!

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

My paternal grandmother died of colon cancer at the age of 90. My father has had polyps removed. At the age of 35, I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. I had been doctoring for six weeks for hemorrhoids, which I was pretty sure I did not have. I was right. I had tried to have a bowel movement and filled the pot with blood instead. My doctor said it was hemorrhoids. He never checked, just assumed because of my age. An occult test came back negative. Luckily, I insisted on a referral where they immediately found the tumor through a digital rectal exam. The tumor, and my rectum, was removed, and I have had no further instances of polyps or cancer. I am now 53. I was having a colonoscopy annually until just a couple of years ago when I was graduated to every three years. Yes, the prep is the worst part, but it is worth every bit of the inconvenience and disgusting stuff you have to drink. My motto is that you know your own body. If something doesn't seem right, go as far as you need to go until you are satisfied with what the doctor says. Get a second opinion if you are unsure.

Comment from: bonko, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I'm 32. I have no family history of colon cancer that I know of. I felt something "odd" in the anal region, so I went to a gastro doctor. He said it was almost certainly a hemorrhoid. We did the sigmoid deal. He saw two polyps (and one hemorrhoid). I just had a colonoscopy. I was really stressed because if we saw two in the first procedure, I was expecting many more. Anyway, it was a total of two polyps. The procedure was easy. Not eating for a day isn't a big deal for me. That drink, however, was terrible. And, in a display of horrible judgment, I was hungover the day I had to fast and drink that crap. Blah. I'm still waiting for the biopsy results, but both of the polyps were in the 3 mm to 5 mm range. I'm not going to sit here and freak out. I have to go back in three years for another one. I'm really glad we found these now. I think 50 years old as the standard recommendation is totally wrong. I'm going to start suggesting to anybody I know that they get in there much earlier.

Comment from: grateful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my first colonoscopy at age 50. They found one adenomatous polyp and removed it. My doctor said this type of polyp would result in a malignancy down the road. I had no risk factors that I know of, and I am the oldest child, so as far as family history, I am unsure. All the prep in the world to get ready for this test is well worth it. I will get it done again in five years as the doctor recommends.

Comment from: magicpony, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I got large external hemorrhoids overnight, which were very painful. I had to get them surgically removed and then had a routine follow-up colonoscopy. It turned out that I had two polyps, which were removed at the time. Two weeks later, I had rectal bleeding when passing a stool, which was very frightening. I am waiting for a follow-up appointment. My mother died of breast cancer (age 60) and my maternal grandmother of bowel cancer (age 77). I am a fit, healthy 41-year-old. Get checked!

Comment from: Tricia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had no symptoms with my colon polyps. I had a colonoscopy at 46 because my mother (age 62) and aunt (age 59) were both diagnosed with colon cancer. Pre-cancerous polyps were found in my colon and a mass larger than 5 mm was found in the cecum (exactly where cancer was found in my mother and aunt). I'm still awaiting surgery to remove the mass, and then I'll find out if it's cancerous. My siblings (and daughter) were told to have a colonscopy at age 36 (although my daughter will do it earlier because her paternal grandmother and father also have colon cancer). I exercise, eat a low-fat and high-fiber diet. If a family member is diagnosed, don't wait for your own screening!

Comment from: Howie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I just had colonoscopy after the last 1 year ago. I had no colon polyps back then. This time there were 6 from 6 mm to 20 mm. They took them out and sent for a pathology report. I was worried to death. Thank goodness I got it back today and there were no cancer cells found. I won't wait so long again. Go get one if you have not had one.

Comment from: Mj65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have just had a 6 mm polyp removed after having a clear colonoscopy 15 months ago.

Comment from: brother, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

My sister had colon cancer at 58. They removed the cancer and she had chemotherapy and radiation. She was cancer free for 5 years. At 64 the cancer came back stage 4. They found it first in one lung. They were going to remove from the lung when they found more in the colon. In 6 months she passed.

Comment from: mibonlyme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

At 55, I had a 6 mm polyp removed from the sigmoid colon three years ago. I just received a reminder for a follow up colonoscopy.

Comment from: peg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have just had an ultrasound done for my heart burn. The doctor has me on Nexium. During the ultrasound they found that I have polyps on my gallbladder and kidney. My doctor says that they are fine and not to worry but I have to go and have an ultra sound in 6 months with the dye in it. I wonder if I should get a second opinion. I am a little worried that he doesn't want to do a biopsy or anything just to check.

Comment from: pat (grandmashort), 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have just been told that I have a very large precancerous colon polyp that they couldn't remove because of how large it is. The doctor also said that they had to use a child scope because they couldn't get it in so they had to also put me on my back and the nurses had to push on my stomach because my colon is all twisted because of the polyp.

Comment from: cinnamonchick74, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Im 38 years old and tomorrow I'm doing my 5th colonoscopy in 8 years. Ive had ulcerative colitis since I turned 30, and my father passed away from colon cancer at 44. My last colonoscopy I had 3 years ago, my doctor removed a polyp that was pre cancerous. My colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow is for severe rectal bleeding. The prep for one has to be one of the worst thing I've ever been through.

Comment from: PowTek, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had family history-type risk factors for colon polyps at the time of my diagnosis. After diagnosis and removal of one rectal and one colon polyp at age 45 or so, I had a 20-year period free of further polyps by colonoscopy. My diet was moderate in fiber, and I took Metamucil daily over the period. This year at age 66, I just had three polyps removed during my colonoscopy. Now I'm pondering how to proceed.

Comment from: Tony, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 43-year-old male. Because of rectal bleeding, a colonoscopy was performed two days ago. The doctor removed what he said was the largest polyp he has ever seen on a man my age. He said that he didn't think it was cancerous. I will see him in three weeks for the results of the cancer screening.

Comment from: Melissa28, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I just had my colonoscopy today, and one polyp was removed. I also found out that I have a really long colon, which may be contributing to my constipation. The procedure to have it removed was a piece of cake, but drinking the solution the night before was not pleasant. I feel relieved that I'm not being given the "you have IBS" diagnosis, but I am a little scared to find out if that polyp is cancerous. My grandmother died from a whole host of colon issues, which is why I was persistent in getting the colonoscopy done at my age: 28.

Comment from: Colo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I am 25 years old and had a colonoscopy yesterday because I was experiencing a lot of abdominal pain and blood in my stools. The physician found internal hemorrhoids as well as a polyp, which he removed. I would recommend getting a colonoscopy as early as possible, if you can. The physician also recommended that my family members should get a colonoscopy.

Comment from: Barb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My risk factor is that colon cancer is common on both my mother and father's side of the family. I am a 40-year-old female. I have had three colonoscopies. The first one was six years ago. Two polyps were found. A year later, another colonoscopy was performed. One polyp was found. Now, five years later, I had a colonoscopy as part of my regular screen and three polyps were removed. My doctor recommends a follow-up colonoscopy in five years. I am nervous that we may be waiting too long for another follow-up.

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had my first colonoscopy last week. It was a piece of cake! The doctor found seven polyps. My doctor recommended I have it done because I was passing blood in my stool. As far as I know, no one else in my family has had colon polyps.

Comment from: Reese, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

My mother died almost two years ago from liver cancer that had metastasized from her colon. I am 37 years old, and just had my first colonoscopy. The doctor did find and remove a polyp. I was somewhat surprised as I am an avid runner, and I watch what I eat. I am one of seven children, and I am the only one who has had any polyps. I am concerned because I do have some symptoms described, painful gas, bloating, thin stools, and fatigue. I am thinking that I need to advocate a little more for myself.

Published: June 19

I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Every time I ate food I developed gas, bloating, diarrhea and sharp pains.

Published: June 17

I ended up having two small tubular adenoma polyps, and I'm only 36. My mother and maternal grandmother had polyps as well that were removed in their 50s. The only indication something was wrong was a tiny bit of blood in the stool. I would recommend earlier screenings (colonoscopy) if you have a first-degree relative who had polyps removed. If I'd waited another 14 years as the literature suggests, it could've been very bad by that point. And the colonoscopy procedure itself is not bad at all.

Published: June 13

Bloating, dark stools, nausea, episodic diarrhea-constipation, sometimes loss of appetite, very hyperactive bowel sounds.

Published: June 10

Nausea, bloating, loss of appetite, black stool, weight loss.

Comment from: englishrose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a colonoscopy 18 months ago at the age of 52 and had one small polyp. I was told to return in 10 years by my GI MD. Around 6 1/2 months ago I developed DCIS in one breast and because of family history breast cancer, had a billet mastectomy and reconstruction. My oncologist reviewed my polyp path and found it to be an adenoma. She strongly advised a 2 to 3yr follow-up colonoscopy. My GI MD disagrees and states 10 yrs is fine, but told me to return in 5 yrs if I was worried. I will be getting the next colonoscopy in 2-3 years from the first one. Better safe than sorry, especially in light of the breast cancer. The only family history I have is breast cancer, and bladder cancer in my father.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter