Colon polyps are common growths on the inner lining of the colon. Colon polyps may become cancerous. There are several different types of colon polyps, and the chance of the polyp becoming cancerous depends on the type, size, and histology. Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding are the most common symptoms of colon polyps. Treatment for colon polyps depend on the type, size, and histology. Read more: Colon Polyps (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Treatment, Prevention) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Colon Cancer: Symptoms, Signs, Screening, Stages
Colorectal cancer (colon cancer) is the cause of many cancer deaths. Learn about the warning signs, symptoms, screening process,...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What is inflammatory bowel disease? IBD can include Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Learn more about testing, treatments,...
Picture of Colon
The long, coiled, tubelike organ that removes water from digested food. See a picture of the Colon and learn more about the...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Picture of Colon Cancer
Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from colonic polyps. Removal of these precancerous polyps can prevent colon cancer....
What Is a Polyp? Nasal, Colon, and Other Polyps
Do you know what a polyp is? Learn the definition of a polyp, which can be found in the sinuses, stomach, colon, gallbladder, and...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
Colon Cancer: How Your Diet Can Affect Colorectal Cancer
Diet, including nutrient, antioxidant, and vitamin intake, affects colon cancer risk. Certain dietary factors either decrease or...
Related Disease Conditions
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)
The inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). The intestinal complications of...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Gardner's Syndrome (Familial Adenomatous Polyposis)
Gardners' syndrome, or familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), is an inherited condition in which cancer of the colon and rectum...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colorectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Colonoscopy (Test, Side Effects, Preparation, Recovery)
- Fecal Occult Blood Test
- Colon and Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Screening Tests for Cancer
- Questions To Ask Before Surgery
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Barium Enema
- Bowel Diversion Surgery: Ileostomy, Colostomy, Ileoanal Reservoir, and Continent Ileostomy
- Virtual Colonoscopy
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Colon Cancer Prevention And Fiber?
- Colon Cancer and Polyp Screening Guidelines
- Colon Cancer Silences Howard Keel
- Doctors Answer Digestion Questions
- Can virtual colonoscopy replace actual colonoscopy
- What Does a Barium Enema Test For?
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Choose the Right Colon Cancer Screening Option
- Exercise Might Slow Colon Cancer's Advance
- Colon Cancer Usually Diagnosed Late in Under-50 Adults
- Aspirin Can Help Prevent Colon Cancer, But Many at Risk Don't Take It
- Too Much TV Raises Women's Odds for Early-Onset Colon Cancer: Study
- Many Patients With Polyps Delay Follow-up Colonoscopy: Study
- A Healthy Diet Is Never Too Late With Colon Cancer
- Bug Behind Stomach Cancer Also Linked to Colon Cancer
- Obesity Doubles Odds for Colon Cancer in Younger Women
- Going Vegetarian to Cut Colon Cancer Risk
- Colon Polyp Type May Be Key to Cancer Risk
- Want to Help Beat Colon Cancer? Live Healthy
- Red Meat Tied to Higher Colon Cancer Risk for Women
- Study Confirms Lifesaving Value of Colonoscopy
- Calcium Supplements Tied to Higher Odds of Colon Polyps
- Family History of Colon Cancer Calls for Earlier Screening
- Vitamin E, Selenium Don't Cut Colon Cancer Risk: Study
- Vitamin D, Calcium May Not Prevent Colon Cancer After All
- New Colorectal Cancer Screening Test Approved
- New Colon Polyp Removal Method May Be Easier on Patients
- Too Much Sitting Tied to Higher Risk of Colon Polyps in Men
- Current Colon Cancer Screening Guidelines Might Miss Some Patients
- New Prep for Colon Screen Uses Four Pills, Not Liquid Laxative
- Genes May Be Key for Patients With Multiple Colon Polyps
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Colon Polyps
- Sigmoidoscopy Cuts Colon Cancer Cases, Deaths
- Blacks, Hispanics Have Higher Colon Polyp Risk Than Previously Thought
- The Laxative-Free 'Virtual Colonoscopy'
- New Stool Test Might Aid in Early Detection of Colon Cancer
- Many Cancer Deaths Prevented by Colonoscopy
- Could Listening to Mozart Help Doctors Spot Colon Polyps?
- New Colon Cancer Screening Test in the Works
- Polyp-Finding Skill Is Key to Colonoscopy Success
- Single Screening Cuts Colon Cancer Risk
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter