Colon polyps are common growths on the inner lining of the colon. Colon polyps may become cancerous. There are several different types of colon polyps, and the chance of the polyp becoming cancerous depends on the type, size, and histology. Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding are the most common symptoms of colon polyps. Treatment for colon polyps depend on the type, size, and histology. Read more: Colon Polyps Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Picture of Colon Cancer
Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from colonic polyps. Removal of these precancerous polyps can prevent colon cancer....
How to Get Rid of Hemorrhoids: Causes and Treatments
Learn how to get rid of hemorrhoids, the difference between internal hemorrhoids and external hemorrhoids, what causes...
Colon Cancer: Symptoms, Signs, Screening, Stages
Colorectal cancer (colon cancer) is the cause of many cancer deaths. Learn about the warning signs, symptoms, screening process,...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
Gastric (Stomach) Cancer: Types, Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What are the common signs and symptoms of stomach cancer? Learn about gastric cancer diagnosis, treatment, and their risks, how...
Related Disease Conditions
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes...
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Melanosis coli is a condition that is often associated with prolonged laxative use. Dark pigment forms in the wall of the large...
Gardner's Syndrome (Familial Adenomatous Polyposis)
Gardners' syndrome, or familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), is an inherited condition in which cancer of the colon and rectum...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience
Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?Post View 90 Comments
Colon Polyps - Treatments
What was the treatment for your colon polyps?Post View 28 Comments
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis
Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?Post View 12 Comments
Colon Polyps - Types
What type of colon polyp(s) were you diagnosed with, and what was the treatment?Post View 2 Comments
Colon Polyps - Symptoms
What symptoms did you have with colon polyps?Post View 8 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Can virtual colonoscopy replace actual colonoscopy
- What Does a Barium Enema Test For?
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
- Ask the Experts - Gastroenterology (GI Testing)
- Colon Cancer Silences Howard Keel
- Colon Cancer and Polyp Screening Guidelines
- Colon Cancer Prevention And Fiber?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Family History of Colon Cancer Calls for Earlier Screening
- Vitamin E, Selenium Don't Cut Colon Cancer Risk: Study
- Vitamin D, Calcium May Not Prevent Colon Cancer After All
- New Colorectal Cancer Screening Test Approved
- New Colon Polyp Removal Method May Be Easier on Patients
- Too Much Sitting Tied to Higher Risk of Colon Polyps in Men
- Current Colon Cancer Screening Guidelines Might Miss Some Patients
- New Prep for Colon Screen Uses Four Pills, Not Liquid Laxative
- Genes May Be Key for Patients With Multiple Colon Polyps
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Colon Polyps
- Sigmoidoscopy Cuts Colon Cancer Cases, Deaths
- Blacks, Hispanics Have Higher Colon Polyp Risk Than Previously Thought
- The Laxative-Free 'Virtual Colonoscopy'
- New Stool Test Might Aid in Early Detection of Colon Cancer
- Many Cancer Deaths Prevented by Colonoscopy
- Could Listening to Mozart Help Doctors Spot Colon Polyps?
- New Colon Cancer Screening Test in the Works
- Polyp-Finding Skill Is Key to Colonoscopy Success
- Single Screening Cuts Colon Cancer Risk
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter