Colon cancer is preventable by removing precancerous colon polyps, and it is curable if early cancer is surgically removed before cancer spreads to other parts of the body. Therefore, if screening and surveillance programs were practiced universally, there would be a major reduction in the incidence and mortality of colorectal cancer. Read more: Colon and Colorectal Cancer Screening Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Colon Cancer: Symptoms, Signs, Screening, Stages
Colorectal cancer (colon cancer) is the cause of many cancer deaths. Learn about the warning signs, symptoms, screening process,...
Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Ulcerative Colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease and is slightly different than Crohn's disease. Your diet can impact...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Picture of Colon Cancer
Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from colonic polyps. Removal of these precancerous polyps can prevent colon cancer....
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
Physical Exam: Why Does Your Doctor Do That?
Your physical exam is when you need your doctor's expert help. Your health depends on it. Learn how doctors spot high blood...
Related Disease Conditions
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Colon Polyps (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Treatment, Prevention)
Colon polyps are common growths on the inner lining of the colon. Colon polyps may become cancerous. There are several different...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the colon. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding....
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Anal cancer, cancer located at the end of the large intestine, has symptoms that include anal or rectal bleeding, anal pain or...
Post-polio syndrome (PPS) is a group of signs and symptoms that show up two to four decades after the initial polio infection....
Melanosis coli is a condition that is often associated with prolonged laxative use. Dark pigment forms in the wall of the large...
Men's health is an important component to a happy lifestyle and healthy relationships. Eating healthy, exercise, managing stress,...
Gardner's Syndrome (Familial Adenomatous Polyposis)
Gardners' syndrome, or familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), is an inherited condition in which cancer of the colon and rectum...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colorectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Colonoscopy With No Sedation
- Colon Cancer and Polyp Screening Guidelines
- Colon Cancer Silences Howard Keel
- Colon Cancer, The Genetic Factor
- Biopsy: Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before a Biopsy
- Doctors Answer Digestion Questions
- Can virtual colonoscopy replace actual colonoscopy
- What Does a Barium Enema Test For?
- Hospitals: Can Yours Handle Your Emergency?
- 10 Cancer Symptoms That Men Ignore
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Annual Physical Exam
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Exercise Might Slow Colon Cancer's Advance
- Colon Cancer Usually Diagnosed Late in Under-50 Adults
- Is At-Home Stool Test a Viable Alternative to Colonoscopy?
- Primary Care Doctors Help Boost Life Spans, But More Are Needed
- Too Much TV Raises Women's Odds for Early-Onset Colon Cancer: Study
- Many Patients With Polyps Delay Follow-up Colonoscopy: Study
- A Healthy Diet Is Never Too Late With Colon Cancer
- To Boost Colon Cancer Screening, Use the Mail
- Too Few Americans Getting Screened for Cancer: CDC
- Could Diet Soda Help Curb Colon Cancer's Return?
- Hidden Blood in Feces May Signal Deadly Conditions
- Health Tip: If You're 45 or Older, Get Screened for Colorectal Cancer
- New Guidelines Lower Colon Cancer Screening Age to 45
- Widely Used Antibacterial Tied to Colon Woes in Mice
- Blue's Clues: Adding Dye to Colonoscopy May Boost Detection
- Colon Polyp Type May Be Key to Cancer Risk
- Health Tip: Prepare for a Colonoscopy
- Doctors Worry as Company Stops Making Cancer Drug Pump
- Common Colon Cancer Screen May Help Men More Than Women
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Colorectal Cancer
- Study Confirms Lifesaving Value of Colonoscopy
- Early Colon Cancer Screening Advised for Some
- Could Your Colonoscopy Raise Your Risk for Appendicitis?
- Could a Blood Test Spot Early Stage Colon Cancer?
- Should Colon Cancer Screening Start at 45, not 50?
- Deaths From Colon Cancer Up Among Younger White Americans
- Too Many Americans Still Go Without Cancer Screenings
- Get Ready for Your 'Capsule Robot' Colon Cancer Check
- Many Disabled Adults Aren't Screened for Colon Cancer: Study
- Many Dialysis Patients Get Unnecessary Colonoscopies
- Heart Risks May Boost Women's Colon Cancer Risk, Too
- Some Low-Income, Uninsured Patients Aren't Referred for Colonoscopy
- Colon Cancer's Location May Determine Patient Survival
- Little Gains in Efforts to Boost Outpatient Care
- Researchers Get Closer to Test Predicting Colon Cancer's Return
- Regular Doctor Visits Can Help Spot Colon Cancer
- Expert Panel Reaffirms Need for Colon Cancer Screen Beginning at Age 50
- Low-Dose Aspirin Tied to Longer Colon Cancer Survival
- Colon Cancer Rising in People Under 50
- Tumor Location Affects Colon Cancer Survival: Study
- Is Ovary Removal Tied to Colon Cancer Risk?
- Small Study Supports New Stool-Based Colon Cancer Test
- Happy Marriage May Prompt Men to Get Colonoscopy: Study
- Six Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Colon Cancer
- Canadian Medical Panel Advises Against Routine Colonoscopy
- Time to Follow-Up After a Positive Colon Cancer Test Varies by Hospital
- Study Finds Stool Test Effective for Detecting Colon Cancer
- More People Under 50 Getting Colon Cancer, Analysis Finds
- Minorities More Likely To Be Diagnosed With Colon Cancer at Younger Age
- Colon Cancer Screening Rates on the Rise in NYC
- 'Scoring System' May Spot Those in Greatest Need of Colonoscopy
- Colon Cancer Deaths Falling, Except in 3 U.S. Regions
- The Doctor Who Does Your Colonoscopy Matters
- Rise in Colon Cancer Screening After Obamacare, Study Finds
- Many Americans Not Getting Routine Cancer Screenings: CDC
- More Screening Could Cut Annual Colon Cancer Deaths by 21,000: Study
- Some Stroke Survivors May Face Heightened Cancer Risk, Study Shows
- Random Mutations Responsible for About Two-Thirds of Cancer Risk: Study
- Want to Raise Colon Cancer Screening Rates? Run a Lottery
- Polyp Removal Doesn't Always Signal Raised Colon Cancer Risk, Study Says
- Study: Many Seniors Get Unnecessary Cancer Tests
- New At-Home Colon Cancer Test: FAQ
- Sigmoidoscopy Does Cut Risk of Dying From Colon Cancer: Study
- Black Veterans Less Likely to Get Colon Cancer Screening, Study Finds
- FDA Approves Highly Accurate At-Home Colon Cancer Test
- Half a Million Cancers Prevented by Colon Screenings: Study
- First-Time Colon Cancer Screening May Be Beneficial for Elderly
- FDA Advisory Panel Recommends Approval of At-Home Colon Cancer Test
- Slight Drop in Rate of Advanced Cancers, CDC Says
- Colonoscopy Is Good, Not Perfect
- New Stool Test Shows Promise as Colon Cancer Screen
- At-Home Stool Test for Colon Cancer Called Accurate, But Not Foolproof
- Germs That Inhabit Gut May Affect Colon Cancer Risk
- 1 in 3 Not Meeting Colon Cancer Screening Guidelines: CDC
- Current Colon Cancer Screening Guidelines Might Miss Some Patients
- Prepping for a Colonoscopy: Why It's a Necessary Evil
- Delaying Colonoscopy Puts Man in Grave Danger
- U.S. Minorities Less Likely to Get Colon Cancer Screening: Study
- Brief Life Expectancy Should Rule Out Certain Cancer Screenings: Study
- Electronic Records Do Aid Patient Care, Study Finds
- New Prep for Colon Screen Uses Four Pills, Not Liquid Laxative
- Patients Prefer More Invasive Form of Colon Scan: Study
- People With Diabetes May Need Earlier Colon Screen
- Sigmoidoscopy Cuts Colon Cancer Cases, Deaths
- Blacks, Hispanics Have Higher Colon Polyp Risk Than Previously Thought
- The Laxative-Free 'Virtual Colonoscopy'
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices Could Cut Cancer Rates: Report
- Many Patients Skip Recommended Colonoscopy: Study
- Many Medical Tests, Procedures Not Always Needed
- Obese White Women Shying Away From Colon Cancer Screening
- New Colon Cancer Screening Guidelines Focus on Individual Risk
- Too Many Americans Skipping Colon Cancer Screening
- Study Supports CT-Based 'Virtual' Colonoscopy to Spot Colon Cancer
- Too Few Americans Getting Screened for Common Cancers: CDC
- British Screening Program Finding More Early Stage Colon Cancers
- Diabetes Linked to Precancerous Colon Growths
- Do Men Need Colon Cancer Screening Earlier Than Women Do?
- Family History of Cancer Needs to Be Updated as You Age
- Osteoporosis Drugs Linked to Lower Cancer Risk
- Dogs Can Detect Early Colorectal Cancer
- New Colon Cancer Screening Test in the Works
- Rectal Cancer on the Rise in Young People
- Polyp-Finding Skill Is Key to Colonoscopy Success
- Single Screening Cuts Colon Cancer Risk