Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells metastasize to other parts of the body. Colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy (along with digital rectal examination and stool occult blood testing) are both effective at preventing colo-rectal cancers and detecting early colo-rectal cancers. Read more: Colon Cancer Prevention Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
How to Get Rid of Hemorrhoids: Causes and Treatments
Learn how to get rid of hemorrhoids, the difference between internal hemorrhoids and external hemorrhoids, what causes...
Colon Cancer: Symptoms, Signs, Screening, Stages
Colorectal cancer (colon cancer) is the cause of many cancer deaths. Learn about the warning signs, symptoms, screening process,...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Ulcerative Colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease and is slightly different than Crohn's disease. Your diet can impact...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What is inflammatory bowel disease? IBD can include Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Learn more about testing, treatments,...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Colon Cancer
Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from colonic polyps. Removal of these precancerous polyps can prevent colon cancer....
Signs of Cancer in Men: Could it Be Cancer?
See pictures of which 15 cancer symptoms men ignore such as skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight loss, a breast...
Related Disease Conditions
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Colon polyps are common growths on the inner lining of the colon. Colon polyps may become cancerous. There are several different...
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease, primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can affect...
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the colon. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding....
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
Ulcerative Colitis Diet
An ulcerative colitis diet plan can help a person with the disease avoid foods and drinks that trigger flares. There also are...
Anal cancer, cancer located at the end of the large intestine, has symptoms that include anal or rectal bleeding, anal pain or...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)
The inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). The intestinal complications of...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Why Am I So Bloated?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Nature vs. Nurture Theory (Genes vs. Environment)
In the nature vs. nurture debate, "nature" represents our genetic makeup. These are the genes you have inherited from...
Melanosis coli is a condition that is often associated with prolonged laxative use. Dark pigment forms in the wall of the large...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Your health care provider may refer you to a genetic professional. Universities and medical centers also often have affiliated...
Is Crohn's Disease Contagious?
Crohn's disease, a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and is characterized by symptoms and signs that...
Gardner's Syndrome (Familial Adenomatous Polyposis)
Gardners' syndrome, or familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), is an inherited condition in which cancer of the colon and rectum...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Colon Cancer Prevention - Experience
Please share your experience with colon cancer prevention and screening.Post
Colon Cancer Prevention - Genetic Counceling
Have you been through genetic counseling for colon cancer? If so, please share your experience.Post
Colon Cancer Prevention - Screening
Do you have any risk factors for colon cancer? If so, please share your experience and any prevention methods you have used to prevent the disease.Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Evaluating Treatments and Supplements
- Disease Prevention From a Doctor's Perspective
- 10 Cancer Symptoms That Men Ignore
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Stage IV Colon Cancer That Has Spread to the Liver
- Colon Cancer, The Genetic Factor
- Annual Physical Exam
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
- Ask the Experts - Gastroenterology (GI Testing)
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Should Colon Cancer Screening Start at 45, not 50?
- Omega-3s in Fish Tied to Better Colon Cancer Outcomes
- Researchers Get Closer to Test Predicting Colon Cancer's Return
- Regular Doctor Visits Can Help Spot Colon Cancer
- Is Ovary Removal Tied to Colon Cancer Risk?
- Expert Panel Reaffirms Daily Aspirin's Use Against Heart Disease, Colon Cancer
- 'Prehabilitation' Before Colon Cancer Surgery May Aid Recovery
- Ways to Cut Your Colon Cancer Risk
- New Stool Test Shows Promise as Colon Cancer Screen
- Germs That Inhabit Gut May Affect Colon Cancer Risk
- Prepping for a Colonoscopy: Why It's a Necessary Evil
- Delaying Colonoscopy Puts Man in Grave Danger
- Seniors Getting Unnecessary Colonoscopies: Study
- New Drug Approved for Colonoscopy Preparation
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Colon Polyps
- The Laxative-Free 'Virtual Colonoscopy'
- Colon Cancer Gaps for Blacks, Whites Largely Due to Screening
- New Stool Test Might Aid in Early Detection of Colon Cancer
- New Colon Cancer Screening Guidelines Focus on Individual Risk
- Worries About Colonoscopy Unfounded: Study
- Booze and Family History of Colon Cancer a Bad Mix: Study
- Colorectal Cancer on the Rise in Adults Under 50
- Osteoporosis Drugs Linked to Lower Cancer Risk
- New Insurance Rules: Free Preventive Health Care
- Polyp-Finding Skill Is Key to Colonoscopy Success
- Single Screening Cuts Colon Cancer Risk
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter