Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?

A Doctor's View on Stage IV Colon Cancer That Has Spread to the Liver

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Colon cancer has four stages. Stage IV is the most severe stage of colon cancer, and at this stage the cancer cells have spread or metastasized to other organs (for example, the lungs and lymph nodes). Examples of symptoms of colon cancer when they do occur include:

• Blood in the stool
  • Pain in the right side of the abdomen or stomach
  • Leg swelling
  • Itching
  • Abdominal swelling

Treatment for stage IV colon cancer to the liver include surgery to remove the liver tumors, chemotherapy, radiation, radiofrequency ablation, and brachytherapy. Targeted therapies also are available.

Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: ure53, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

My mother has recently died of undiagnosed malignant colon cancer. She had no weight loss, dizziness bowel issues or bleeding. She actually went into hospital for recurrent bladder infections. They found after a scan that the cancer was right through her bowels, liver, and kidneys. Her blood tests showed nothing until after the liver biopsy was done and then her counts rose on a daily basis. She died 23 days later. I had a 5 cm sessile tumor removed three years ago, it was not malignant, and a year later had a polyp removed where the tumor was taken from. Two years later I am having to go back for a colonoscopy after an 8 kilo weight loss in three weeks. I am tired and so thirsty all the time but sleep eludes me till early hours. One of my diabetic tablets have been stopped altogether and my insulin reduced by 30 percent. I am not sure what will happen next or what they might find but life is a little freaky at present.

Comment from: Tecno P k.., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have bleeding through the anus with the inner part of the rectum coming out for a while leaving some fluids or stains on the clothes. It happens irregularly especially after consumption of alcohol without eating. I am concerned about colon cancer.

Comment from: Steph, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

First of all I need to say that after the past six months of suffering from terrible abdominal cramps, constant diarrhea and occasional nausea I have just found out that I don't have colon cancer. I had convinced myself that all the symptoms fitted. After a colonoscopy which I had to wait seemingly endless months for the biopsies came back negative. The stomach and terminal claim (end bit of the colon) however were very inflamed and partially ulcerated. The reason why I'm posting this is to give everyone who is in the awful position of waiting for diagnosis hope. A week ago I started a low FODMAP diet and after the initial first few days of increased pain and diarrhea, the symptoms have improved so much. For the very first time in six months the pain has eased and the constant cramps in the colon have nearly stopped. It's worth a try. For some it really may just be irritable bowel syndrome. All the best to everyone and keep insisting on what you want from your general physician and specialist.

Comment from: MenopauseMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I'm 50 in a few weeks and have been experiencing the regular peri-menopause symptoms of irritability (to say the least), restlessness, weight gain, irregular periods, anxiety, dry skin, interrupted sleep, urinating in my panties, and I'm an emotional wreck! At this point, I'm just hoping that my husband and I can make it through this and I don't eat my young.

Comment from: sally89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

With colon cancer, I was throwing up all the time and it was bloody. I was constantly on the toilet passing nothing but bloody water. I couldn't eat for days at a time and was in severe pain. I was losing the ability to control my bowels. I was so weak it was hard to even get up, and lost a lot of weight very fast. I had headaches and was always having hot and cold flashes. I also had blackouts.

Comment from: Marilyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

For a year and a half I felt tired all the time, and had major dizzy spells. My doctor told me I was anemic and to take iron pills. When I went to the Red Cross Bloodmobile to donate blood, they told me I was very anemic and to go directly to my doctor. This time she scheduled me for a colonoscopy, and I was found to have stage 4 colon cancer. I had surgery and 9 months of Folfiri.

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Experience Question: What�s your biggest challenge with living with colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Life Change Question: What changes have you had to make to your routine since being diagnosed with colon cancer?