Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Colitis is inflammation of the lining tissues of the large intestine (colon). People suffering from colitis may have typical symptoms and signs that include abdominal pain, cramping, bloating, and diarrhea. Some types of colitis may be associated with bloody diarrhea. Colitis can be part of a disease that affects other parts of the body, causing fever, chills, fatigue, malaise, and dehydration symptoms (weakness, decreased urine output). Ulcerative colitis is a chronic condition that has other manifestations in the body, including mouth ulcers, joint swelling, and skin inflammation.
Causes of colitis
Colitis can be caused by infections, loss of blood supply, or chronic diseases. Allergic reactions can also cause colitis. Chronic causes of colitis include inflammatory bowel diseases like ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. Loss of blood supply to the colon can be due to atherosclerosis, blood clot, or blood vessel disease. A number of different infections can cause colitis. Bacteria that can cause colitis include Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, Clostridium difficile, Escherichia coli, Yersinia, Chlamydia, Neisseria, and tuberculosis.
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.
Main Article on Colitis Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What is inflammatory bowel disease? IBD can include Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Learn more about testing, treatments,...
Ulcerative Colitis Quiz: Diet, Symptoms & Treatment
What is ulcerative colitis and what risks are associated with suffering over the long term? Take this Ulcerative Colitis Quiz to...
Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Ulcerative Colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease and is slightly different than Crohn's disease. Your diet can impact...
Colitis Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Colitis Symptoms and Signs
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- balsalazide disodium, Colazal
- cyclosporine microemulsion capsule - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- gentamicin injection (Garamycin)
- hydrocortisone oral, A-Hydrocort, Solu-CORTEE, Cortef
- hydrocortisone sodium succinate - injection, A-Hydrocort, Solu-Cortef
- infliximab, Remicade
- loperamide, Imodium A-D, Anti-Diarrheal, TH Anti-Diarrheal, Diamode, Imodium, Kaopectate II, Imodium
- mercaptopurine - oral, Purinethol
- mesalamine (Pentasa, Rowasa, SfRowasa, Lialda, Canasa, Apriso, Delzicol)
- methylprednisolone, Medrol, Depo-Medrol, Solu-Medrol
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- olsalazine, Dipentum
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
- sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, Bactrim, Bactrim DS
- sulfasalazine, Azulfidine
- vancomycin, Vancocin