Trending Cold and Flu Topics
Watch this slideshow and explore the types and causes of a sore throat and learn how to distinguish between sore and strep throat. You'll also find out how to get relief from symptoms such as that raw, scratchy feeling.
Serious side effects from the flu shot are uncommon. Side effects of the injection vaccine may include soreness at the site of the injection, muscle aches, fever, and feeling unwell. The live virus vaccine nasal-spray does not cause severe symptoms.
Typical flu symptoms in children and adults include a fever (100 F - 103 F), chills, cough, sore throat, stuffy or runny nose, headache, muscle aches, and fatigue. Home remedies to help flu symptoms include OTC medications. Cough drops and cough syrup can be taken to suppress a cough. If a person's symptoms continue worsen, they should seek medical care.
Changes in the immune system of a woman who is pregnant can make her more sensitive to the flu. If you are pregnant, you should get the flu shot as soon as it's available in your area. The flu vaccine is approved for pregnant women; however, pregnant women should not receive the nasal spray flu vaccine.
Related Disease Conditions
Fever in Adults and Children
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms of bad breath, snoring, congestion, headache, hoarseness, laryngitis, and...
Are You Too Sick to Work?
When you're not feeling well, it may be difficult to decide whether to stay home or go to school or work. Conditions that are...
Bronchiolitis is an illness caused by a variety of viruses that is most common during the winter season. Bronchiolitis symptoms...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Cold and Cough Medicine for Infants and Children
The safety of giving infants and children over-the-counter (OTC) cold and cough medicine is important for caregivers to...
Cold vs. Flu
Though the common cold and flu share many signs and symptoms, they are caused by different viruses. Signs and symptoms include...
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments
Before treating a cold, the flu, or allergies with over-the-counter (OTC) medications, it's important to know what's causing the...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
Fever and Headache
Illnesses, diseases, conditions, and infections like cancer, RA, bacterial and fungal infections, encephalitis, meningitis, flu,...
How Long Is a Cold or Flu Contagious?
Viruses cause the common cold and the flu. Early symptoms and signs for a cold and the flu are similar, however, flu symptoms are...
Cough: 19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
Is a Cough Contagious?
There are many types of coughs: for example, dry cough, wet cough, a barking cough, whooping cough, stress induced cough, acute...
Is a Sinus Infection Contagious?
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is infection (viral, bacterial, or fungal) or inflammation of the sinuses. Symptoms of sinus...
Is Laryngitis Contagious?
Laryngitis is inflammation and swelling of the voice box (larynx). Causes of laryngitis are viral, bacterial, fungal, strenuous...
Is Sore Throat (Pharyngitis) Contagious?
The medical term for a sore throat is pharyngitis. There are many causes of a sore throat such as medications, diseases (GERD,...
Is Strep Throat Contagious?
Strep throat is caused by group A streptococcus bacteria. Incubation period for strep throat is 1-5 days after exposure. If strep...
Is Tonsillitis Contagious?
Tonsillitis is a common infection, especially in kids. Tonsillitis is caused by viruses and bacteria like the flu and herpes...
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...
Laryngitis Home Remedies (in Adults and Children)
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx. Inflammation of the larynx is most often caused by viral infections, and have...
Mastoiditis in children and adults is inflammation and/or infection of the mastoid bone, which is located behind the ear. The...
Sinus Infection vs. Cold
Viruses cause the common cold and most sinus infections. Bacterial and fungal infections may also cause a sinus infection. Signs...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
Sore Throat Home Remedies
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
Strep Throat (Treatment, Causes, Home Remedies)
Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat. Signs and symptoms of strep throat include headache, nausea, vomiting, sore...
Novel H1N1 influenza A virus infection (swine flu) is an infection that generally is transferred from an infected pig to a human,...
Treating the Flu in People with Health Risks
Certain portions of the population are at an increased risk of suffering serious complications from the flu. Some of these...
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI)
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
10 Facts About Flu Shots
Is the flu shot necessary? Who should get vaccinated? Learn the benefits and risks of vaccination for seasonal influenza. Find...
Ear Infections: All About Ear Conditions
What's that? I can't hear you. Maybe it's tinnitus, or impacted ear wax, or cauliflower ear (yup, that's a thing). Find out what...
Cold, Fever and Flu Treatment in Children: Medications and Home Remedies
Colds and fevers are some of the most common ailments in children. Learn common cold symptoms, treatment options, over the...
Cold & Flu Quiz: Influenza vs. Common Cold
Aches? Pain? Fever? This Cold & Flu Quiz tests your knowledge on the difference between coming down with the common cold and...
A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference
Learn common symptoms of a cold and the flu. Discover the difference between a cold and the flu. Read about cold and flu...
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Common Cold Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take this quiz to learn the truth behind the infectious, contagious, uncomfortable disease known as the common cold. Test your...
Home Remedies for Sick Children
Home remedies for kids can help with things like colds, flu, cough, sore throat, stuffy nose, fever, and upset stomach. Eating...
Picture of Influenza Virus
The flu is caused by viruses that infect the respiratory tract which are divided into three types, designated A, B, and C. See a...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) Symptoms & Treatment
Sinus infection (sinusitis) symptoms can include headaches, a sore throat, and toothaches. Chronic sinusitis may be caused by...
Sore Throat or Strep Throat? How to Tell the Difference
Is this a sore throat or could it be strep throat? Your medical care depends on knowing if you have a viral infection or a...
Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
Take the Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz to learn about causes, symptoms, treatments, prevention methods, diagnosis,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Colds: 10 Tips to Prevent The Common Cold
- Air Travel, Colds, and Sinus Infections
- Common Cold . . . Social Ties Decrease Risk
- Colds: Zinc For Colds...Jury Still Out!
- Cough, Cold, Weight Loss Drug Dangerous - Warning
- Flu Shot Side Effects
- Flu Shots - Next Big Influenza Outbreak
- Flu: Waiting for Flu Shots, a Real Reality Show
- Killer Cold Virus (Adenovirus Strains)
- OTC Cold and Cough Medications
- Pneumonia ... Quick New Urine Test
- Sore Throat: Is It Mono or Strep Throat?
- Sore Throat Symptoms
- Sore Throat: Virus or Strep?
- Strep Throat Complications
- Strep Throat Diagnosis & Treatment
- Strep Throat Natural Home Remedies
- Strep Throat Symptoms
- Swine Flu Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Vaccination
- Swine Flu: How a Hospital Prepares for Patients
- Swine Flu: One New York City Pediatrician's View
- Tamiflu for Bird Flu?
- Fever: Unexplained Fever...A Difficult Diagnosis
- Flu: What to Do if You Get the Flu
- What to Do if You Think You Have H1N1 Swine Flu Virus
- When to Call the Doctor for Fever, Nausea, Diarrhea, Colds, and Coughs
Medications & Supplements
- amantadine (Symmetrel - Discontinued)
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- aspirin gum - oral, Aspergum
- azithromycin (Zithromax): Potential COVID-19 Combo Drug
- aztreonam - injection, Azactam
- benzonatate (Tessalon Perles)
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
- chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin, Econochlor, Ocu-Chlor [These are discontinued brands in the US])
- chlorpheniramine and hydrocodone, Tussionex, TussiCaps, Tussionex Pennkinetic, Vituz
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- clindamycin - injection, Cleocin
- clindamycin, oral (Cleocin)
- clindamycin-oral solution, Cleocin Pediatric
- Cold Medicine and Cough Syrup for Adults
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, PCE)
- expectorant/decongestant/narcotic antitussive/acetaminophen-oral
- gatifloxacin-oral, Tequin
- gemifloxacin - oral, Factive
- goldenseal (hydrastis canadensis) - oral
- guaifenesin and phenylephrine, Sudafed PE Non-Drying Sinus Caplets, (Entex, discontinued)
- influenza vaccine live intranasal; FluMist, FluMist Quadrivalent
- influenza virus vaccine - syringe intradermal, Fluzone
- influenza virus vaccine - intramuscular, Afluria, Fluarix, Flublok, Flu
- moxifloxacin (Avelox)
- narcotic analgesic/aspirin/caffeine - oral
- norfloxacin (Noroxin)
- oseltamivir (Tamiflu)
- penicillin V
- pneumococcal pediatric vaccine - injection, Prevnar 13
- pneumococcal vaccine (Pneumovax 23, Pnu-Imune 23)
- promethazine and codeine, Phenergan with Codeine
- pseudoephedrine (Oral, Afrinol, Sudafed)
- Side Effects of Relenza (zanamivir)
- rimantadine, Flumadine
- sodium chloride - intranasal spray (Ocean, Ayr Saline, Humist, NaSal, Little Noses, Ocean)
- Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- Xofluza (baloxavir marboxil) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- zanamivir (Relenza)
- Zinc for Colds: Lozenges & Nasal Sprays
Prevention & Wellness
- Anthrax or Flu? - What You Need to Know
- Brain-Eating Amoeba in Neti Pots
- Cold, or Seasonal Allergies?
- Cold: Honing in on Cold Remedies
- Designing the New Flu Shot
- FDA Clears Test to Identify 12 Respiratory Viruses
- Flu Vaccine Shortage Alert
- Flu Vaccine Tip of Drug Shortage
- Flu: Feds Give Flu Shots to States
- Home Remedies for Kids' Winter Ills
- Colds: How to Care for Someone Without Getting Sick Yourself
- How to Handle the H1N1 Swine Flu Pandemic
- Is the H1N1 Swine Flu Vaccine Safe?
- New Flu Vaccine - Fluarix - Approved
- Presidential Advice: Shake Off a Cold
- SARS Lessons Unlearned
- Sore Throat? Could Be Strep Throat
- Cold and Flu: Soup Is Good for What Ails You
- Cold and Flu: Supplementing Your Cold Defenses
- Swine Flu 101: College Survival Tips
- Swine Flu and the Elderly
- Swine Flu: 10 Things Not to Do
- Swine Flu: Taking Care of a Sick Person in Your Home
- Warnings on Three Zicam Intranasal Zinc Products
- West Nile & Dialysis, a Medical Mystery
- When to Call the Doctor About Flu
- Zinc...Just The Facts
- Zinc...A Cure For The Common Cold