Trending Cold and Flu Topics
Watch this slideshow and explore the types and causes of a sore throat and learn how to distinguish between sore and strep throat. You'll also find out how to get relief from symptoms such as that raw, scratchy feeling.
Serious side effects from the flu shot are uncommon. Side effects of the injection vaccine may include soreness at the site of the injection, muscle aches, fever, and feeling unwell. The live virus vaccine nasal-spray does not cause severe symptoms.
Typical flu symptoms in children and adults include a fever (100 F - 103 F), chills, cough, sore throat, stuffy or runny nose, headache, muscle aches, and fatigue. Home remedies to help flu symptoms include OTC medications. Cough drops and cough syrup can be taken to suppress a cough. If a person's symptoms continue worsen, they should seek medical care.
Changes in the immune system of a woman who is pregnant can make her more sensitive to the flu. If you are pregnant, you should get the flu shot as soon as it's available in your area. The flu vaccine is approved for pregnant women; however, pregnant women should not receive the nasal spray flu vaccine.
Related Disease Conditions
What Are 7 Home Remedies To Kill a Sore Throat Fast?
Learn what's causing your sore throat, home remedies that can provide relief fast, and what other treatments can help to relieve...
Fever in Adults and Children
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms of bad breath, snoring, congestion, headache, hoarseness, laryngitis, and...
Are You Too Sick to Work?
When you're not feeling well, it may be difficult to decide whether to stay home or go to school or work. Conditions that are...
What Are the Best Home Remedies for an Upper Respiratory Infection?
What is an upper respiratory infection and what causes it? Learn more about upper respiratory infection, the common cold, and how...
Bronchiolitis is an illness caused by a variety of viruses that is most common during the winter season. Bronchiolitis symptoms...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Cold and Cough Medicine for Infants and Children
The safety of giving infants and children over-the-counter (OTC) cold and cough medicine is important for caregivers to...
Cold vs. Flu
Though the common cold and flu share many signs and symptoms, they are caused by different viruses. Signs and symptoms include...
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments
Before treating a cold, the flu, or allergies with over-the-counter (OTC) medications, it's important to know what's causing the...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
Common Cold: Stages and Timeline of Symptom Progression
The common cold or viral rhinitis is an upper respiratory infection caused by several types of viruses. It is one of the most...
Fever and Headache
Illnesses, diseases, conditions, and infections like cancer, RA, bacterial and fungal infections, encephalitis, meningitis, flu,...
Home Remedies for Sore Throat
Several home remedies may cure pain and other symptoms associated with a sore throat. However, it is imperative to note that...
How Can I Get Rid of Strep Throat Fast?
Most sore throats are caused by viruses, however, in some cases, the sore throat might be caused by bacteria called group A...
How Can I Reduce Fever at Home?
Fever is the reaction of your body to fight off bacterial or viral infections. A bacterial infection needs antibiotics whereas a...
How Can Teens Cope With A Cold?
Usually, teens have a healthy immune system to cope with common cold. Getting plenty of rest and drinking lots of fluids can ease...
How Do I Know If My Sore Throat Is Viral or Bacterial?
It’s seldom easy to tell the difference between bacterial and viral sore throats. Find out what the differences are and learn...
How Do You Bring Down a Fever?
Fever is one of the most effective mechanisms that our body uses for fighting infections. The average body temperature is 98.6°...
How Do You Cure the Flu Quickly?
Flu or influenza is a common viral disease affecting the respiratory system. This infectious disease is caused by the influenza...
How Do You Get Rid of a Cold Overnight?
Cold symptoms are part of your body’s healing processes. Most of the time, it does not require any help. However, you can get rid...
How Do You Get Rid of Laryngitis Quickly?
Learn what medical treatments can help with laryngitis and speed up your recovery....
How Do You Treat a Baby With the Flu?
The home remedy for flu will depend on the temperature of the baby and on what other signs and symptoms are present with the flu....
How Long Are You Contagious With the Flu?
The flu is contagious 1-2 days before symptoms start and up to 5-7 days after symptoms have developed. Young children and people...
How Long Do Flu Symptoms Last in Toddlers?
What is the flu, and how long do symptoms last in kids? Learn the signs of the flu and find out what medicines may help....
How Long Does Laryngitis Last?
What is laryngitis, and how do you know if you have laryngitis? Learn the signs of laryngitis and how to care for your throat if...
How Long Does the Flu Last in Seniors?
What is the flu? Learn the signs of the flu in seniors and when you need to call a doctor....
How Long Does Whooping Cough Last?
What is whooping cough and how long does whooping cough last? Learn more about whooping cough and how to recover from whooping...
How Long Is a Cold or Flu Contagious?
Viruses cause the common cold and the flu. Early symptoms and signs for a cold and the flu are similar, however, flu symptoms are...
Cough: 19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
Is a Cough Contagious?
There are many types of coughs: for example, dry cough, wet cough, a barking cough, whooping cough, stress induced cough, acute...
Is a Sinus Infection Contagious?
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is infection (viral, bacterial, or fungal) or inflammation of the sinuses. Symptoms of sinus...
Is It a Cold or a Sinus Infection?
A sinus infection, also known as sinusitis or rhinosinusitis, is a condition in which the delicate membranes that line the...
Is Laryngitis Contagious?
Laryngitis is inflammation and swelling of the voice box (larynx). Causes of laryngitis are viral, bacterial, fungal, strenuous...
Is Sore Throat (Pharyngitis) Contagious?
The medical term for a sore throat is pharyngitis. There are many causes of a sore throat such as medications, diseases (GERD,...
Is Strep Throat Contagious?
Strep throat is caused by group A streptococcus bacteria. Incubation period for strep throat is 1-5 days after exposure. If strep...
Is Tonsillitis Contagious?
Tonsillitis is a common infection, especially in kids. Tonsillitis is caused by viruses and bacteria like the flu and herpes...
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...
Laryngitis Home Remedies
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx. Inflammation of the larynx is most often caused by viral infections, and have...
Mastoiditis in children and adults is inflammation and/or infection of the mastoid bone, which is located behind the ear. The...
When Should You See a Doctor for Upper Respiratory Infection?
What is an upper respiratory infection? Learn the symptoms of an upper respiratory infection and what to do about it....
Sinus Infection vs. Cold
Viruses cause the common cold and most sinus infections. Bacterial and fungal infections may also cause a sinus infection. Signs...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
Sore Throat Home Remedies
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat. Signs and symptoms of strep throat include headache, nausea, vomiting, sore...
Novel H1N1 influenza A virus infection (swine flu) is an infection that generally is transferred from an infected pig to a human,...
Treating the Flu in People with Health Risks
Certain portions of the population are at an increased risk of suffering serious complications from the flu. Some of these...
Upper Respiratory Infection (URTI)
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
What Are the 5 Types of Fever?
Fever is a sign that your body is fighting an infection or illness. Learn the signs of fever, what causes fever, how doctors...
What Can I Do for My Baby’s Cough?
Cough can cause significant discomfort to a baby. The baby may also have difficulty relaxing and sleeping. Numerous illnesses can...
What Causes Strep Throat and How Long Does It Last?
Strep throat is a contagious infection that can be very uncomfortable. Learn the signs of strep throat, what causes strep throat,...
What Do You Give a Child With a Cold?
Unfortunately, there is no cure for the common cold. Antibiotics may be used to fight bacterial infections, but they have no...
What Is Good for a Child's Cold?
The common cold is one of the main reasons for missing schools in children and missing work in adults. Children are affected more...
What Is the Fastest Way To Cure a Cough?
Learn what medical treatments can help ease your cough symptoms and speed up your recovery....
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
10 Facts About Flu Shots
Is the flu shot necessary? Who should get vaccinated? Learn the benefits and risks of vaccination for seasonal influenza. Find...
Ear Infections: All About Ear Conditions
What's that? I can't hear you. Maybe it's tinnitus, or impacted ear wax, or cauliflower ear (yup, that's a thing). Find out what...
Cold, Fever and Flu Treatment in Children: Medications and Home Remedies
Colds and fevers are some of the most common ailments in children. Learn common cold symptoms, treatment options, over the...
Cold & Flu Quiz: Influenza vs. Common Cold
Aches? Pain? Fever? This Cold & Flu Quiz tests your knowledge on the difference between coming down with the common cold and...
Cold and Flu: The Truth About Hand Sanitizer
Hand sanitizers are a convenient way to kill germs. But do they really work? Here's what we found....
Cold, Flu, and Cough: How to Avoid Infectious Diseases
The right habits will lower your chances of catching an infectious disease. Learn what you can do to help yourself stay healthy....
Cold, Flu, & Cough: How to Clean After Illness
This slideshow gives you a room-by-room look at how and what to disinfect after someone in your family has been sick....
Cold, Flu, & Cough: Symptoms of Immune System Problems
Your immune system is your main line of defense against infection and illness. Learn the warning signs that yours isn’t working...
A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference
Discover the difference between cold vs. flu symptoms. Learn the difference between cold and flu symptoms. Read about cold and...
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Common Cold Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take this quiz to learn the truth behind the infectious, contagious, uncomfortable disease known as the common cold. Test your...
Home Remedies for Sick Children
Home remedies for kids can help with things like colds, flu, cough, sore throat, stuffy nose, fever, and upset stomach. Eating...
How Your Immune System Functions
What is the immune system and its function? Your immune system finds and kills germ invaders when you are sick from a cold, the...
Picture of Influenza Virus
The flu is caused by viruses that infect the respiratory tract which are divided into three types, designated A, B, and C. See a...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) Symptoms & Treatment
Sinus infection (sinusitis) symptoms can include headaches, a sore throat, and toothaches. Antibiotics and home remedies can...
Sore Throat or Strep Throat? How to Tell the Difference
Is this a sore throat or could it be strep throat? Your medical care depends on knowing if you have a viral infection or a...
Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
Take the Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz to learn about causes, symptoms, treatments, prevention methods, diagnosis,...
Cold, Flu, and Cough: Things That Suppress Your Immune System
A strong immune system is your best protection against infections and illnesses. Find out what can weaken that defense....
Cold and Flu: What Doctors Do to Boost Their Immune Systems
How can you make your immune system stronger? Why not try what the pros try?...
What Your Nose Says About Your Health
Do you smell something no one else does? Is it hard to breathe? Different conditions affect smell and breathing. Use this WebMD...
Cold, Flu, and Cough: Why Do I Have the Chills Other Than Fever?
Chills and fever often come as a combo, but sometimes chills happen with a normal temperature. Find out what could be behind...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Colds: 10 Tips to Prevent The Common Cold
- Air Travel, Colds, and Sinus Infections
- Common Cold . . . Social Ties Decrease Risk
- Colds: Zinc For Colds...Jury Still Out!
- Cough, Cold, Weight Loss Drug Dangerous - Warning
- Flu Shot Side Effects
- Flu Shots - Next Big Influenza Outbreak
- Flu: Waiting for Flu Shots, a Real Reality Show
- Killer Cold Virus (Adenovirus Strains)
- OTC Cold and Cough Medications
- Pneumonia ... Quick New Urine Test
- Sore Throat: Is It Mono or Strep Throat?
- Sore Throat Symptoms
- Sore Throat: Virus or Strep?
- Strep Throat Complications
- Strep Throat Diagnosis & Treatment
- Strep Throat Natural Home Remedies
- Strep Throat Symptoms
- Swine Flu Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Vaccination
- Swine Flu: How a Hospital Prepares for Patients
- Swine Flu: One New York City Pediatrician's View
- Tamiflu for Bird Flu?
- Fever: Unexplained Fever...A Difficult Diagnosis
- Flu: What to Do if You Get the Flu
- What to Do if You Think You Have H1N1 Swine Flu Virus
- When to Call the Doctor for Fever, Nausea, Diarrhea, Colds, and Coughs
Medications & Supplements
- Afluria Quadrivalent (Influenza Vaccine)
- amantadine (Symmetrel - Discontinued)
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- aspirin gum - oral, Aspergum
- azithromycin (Zithromax): Potential COVID-19 Combo Drug
- aztreonam - injection, Azactam
- benzonatate (Tessalon Perles)
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
- chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin, Econochlor, Ocu-Chlor [These are discontinued brands in the US])
- chlorpheniramine and hydrocodone, Tussionex, TussiCaps, Tussionex Pennkinetic, Vituz
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- clindamycin - injection, Cleocin
- clindamycin, oral (Cleocin)
- clindamycin-oral solution, Cleocin Pediatric
- Cold Medicine and Cough Syrup for Adults
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, PCE)
- expectorant/decongestant/narcotic antitussive/acetaminophen-oral
- Fluzone High-Dose (Influenza Vaccine)
- gatifloxacin-oral, Tequin
- gemifloxacin - oral, Factive
- goldenseal (hydrastis canadensis) - oral
- guaifenesin and phenylephrine, Sudafed PE Non-Drying Sinus Caplets, (Entex, discontinued)
- influenza vaccine live intranasal; FluMist, FluMist Quadrivalent
- influenza virus vaccine - syringe intradermal, Fluzone
- influenza virus vaccine - intramuscular, Afluria, Fluarix, Flublok, Flu
- moxifloxacin (Avelox)
- narcotic analgesic/aspirin/caffeine - oral
- norfloxacin (Noroxin)
- oseltamivir (Tamiflu)
- penicillin V
- pneumococcal pediatric vaccine - injection, Prevnar 13
- pneumococcal vaccine (Pneumovax 23, Pnu-Imune 23)
- promethazine and codeine, Phenergan with Codeine
- pseudoephedrine (Oral, Afrinol, Sudafed)
- Side Effects of Relenza (zanamivir)
- rimantadine, Flumadine
- Side Effects of Tussionex (chlorpheniramine and hydrocodone)
- Side Effects of Robitussin Ac (guaifenesin with codeine)
- Tussigon (hydrocodone)
- Side Effects of Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen)
- Side Effects of FluMist (influenza nasal vaccine live)
- Side Effects of Phenergan with Codeine (promethazine and codeine)
- Side Effects of Sudafed (pseudoephedrine)
- Side Effects of Tamiflu (oseltamivir)
- sodium chloride - intranasal spray (Ocean, Ayr Saline, Humist, NaSal, Little Noses, Ocean)
- Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- Xofluza (baloxavir marboxil) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- zanamivir (Relenza)
- Zinc for Colds: Lozenges & Nasal Sprays
Prevention & Wellness
- Anthrax or Flu? - What You Need to Know
- Brain-Eating Amoeba in Neti Pots
- Cold, or Seasonal Allergies?
- Cold: Honing in on Cold Remedies
- Designing the New Flu Shot
- FDA Clears Test to Identify 12 Respiratory Viruses
- Flu Vaccine Shortage Alert
- Flu Vaccine Tip of Drug Shortage
- Flu: Feds Give Flu Shots to States
- Home Remedies for Kids' Winter Ills
- Colds: How to Care for Someone Without Getting Sick Yourself
- How to Handle the H1N1 Swine Flu Pandemic
- Is the H1N1 Swine Flu Vaccine Safe?
- New Flu Vaccine - Fluarix - Approved
- Presidential Advice: Shake Off a Cold
- SARS Lessons Unlearned
- Sore Throat? Could Be Strep Throat
- Cold and Flu: Soup Is Good for What Ails You
- Cold and Flu: Supplementing Your Cold Defenses
- Swine Flu 101: College Survival Tips
- Swine Flu and the Elderly
- Swine Flu: 10 Things Not to Do
- Swine Flu: Taking Care of a Sick Person in Your Home
- Warnings on Three Zicam Intranasal Zinc Products
- West Nile & Dialysis, a Medical Mystery
- When to Call the Doctor About Flu
- Zinc...Just The Facts
- Zinc...A Cure For The Common Cold