Trending Cold and Flu Topics
Watch this slideshow and explore the types and causes of a sore throat and learn how to distinguish between sore and strep throat. You'll also find out how to get relief from symptoms such as that raw, scratchy feeling.
Serious side effects from the flu shot are uncommon. Side effects of the injection vaccine may include soreness at the site of the injection, muscle aches, fever, and feeling unwell. The live virus vaccine nasal-spray does not cause severe symptoms.
Typical flu symptoms in children and adults include a fever (100 F - 103 F), chills, cough, sore throat, stuffy or runny nose, headache, muscle aches, and fatigue. Home remedies to help flu symptoms include OTC medications. Cough drops and cough syrup can be taken to suppress a cough. If a person's symptoms continue worsen, they should seek medical care.
Changes in the immune system of a woman who is pregnant can make her more sensitive to the flu. If you are pregnant, you should get the flu shot as soon as it's available in your area. The flu vaccine is approved for pregnant women; however, pregnant women should not receive the nasal spray flu vaccine.
Related Disease Conditions
Fever in Adults and Children
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Tonsillitis and Adenoiditis
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms of bad breath, snoring, congestion, headache, hoarseness, laryngitis, and...
Are You Too Sick to Work?
When you're not feeling well, it may be difficult to decide whether to stay home or go to school or work. Conditions that are...
Bronchiolitis is an illness caused by a variety of viruses that is most common during the winter season. Bronchiolitis symptoms...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Cold and Cough Medicine for Infants and Children
The safety of giving infants and children over-the-counter (OTC) cold and cough medicine is important for caregivers to...
Cold vs. Flu
Though the common cold and flu share many signs and symptoms, they are caused by different viruses. Signs and symptoms include...
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments
Before treating a cold, the flu, or allergies with over-the-counter (OTC) medications, it's important to know what's causing the...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
How Long Is a Cold or Flu Contagious?
Viruses cause the common cold and the flu. Early symptoms and signs for a cold and the flu are similar, however, flu symptoms are...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
Is a Cough Contagious?
There are many types of coughs: for example, dry cough, wet cough, a barking cough, whooping cough, stress induced cough, acute...
Is a Sinus Infection Contagious?
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is infection (viral, bacterial, or fungal) or inflammation of the sinuses. Symptoms of sinus...
Is Laryngitis Contagious?
Laryngitis is inflammation and swelling of the voice box (larynx). Causes of laryngitis are viral, bacterial, fungal, strenuous...
Is Sore Throat (Pharyngitis) Contagious?
The medical term for a sore throat is pharyngitis. There are many causes of a sore throat such as medications, diseases (GERD,...
Is Strep Throat Contagious?
Strep throat is caused by group A streptococcus bacteria. Incubation period for strep throat is 1-5 days after exposure. If strep...
Is Tonsillitis Contagious?
Tonsillitis is a common infection, especially in kids. Tonsillitis is caused by viruses and bacteria like the flu and herpes...
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...
Laryngitis Home Remedies (in Adults and Children)
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx. Inflammation of the larynx is most often caused by viral infections, and have...
Mastoiditis (Symptoms, Treatment, Cure in Adults and Children
Mastoiditis in children and adults is inflammation and/or infection of the mastoid bone, which is located behind the ear. The...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
Sore Throat Home Remedies
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
Strep Throat (Treatment, Causes, Home Remedies)
Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat. Signs and symptoms of strep throat include headache, nausea, vomiting, sore...
Novel H1N1 influenza A virus infection (swine flu) is an infection that generally is transferred from an infected pig to a human,...
Treating the Flu in People with Health Risks
Certain portions of the population are at an increased risk of suffering serious complications from the flu. Some of these...
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI)
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
10 Facts About Flu Shots
Is the flu shot necessary? Who should get vaccinated? Learn the benefits and risks of vaccination for seasonal influenza. Find...
Respiratory Illnesses: 12 Types of Lung Infections
Is your cough caused by a cold, flu, pneumonia or something else? Learn causes of respiratory infection like bronchitis,...
Cold, Fever and Flu Treatment in Children: Medications and Home Remedies
Colds and fevers are some of the most common ailments in children. Learn common cold symptoms, treatment options, over the...
Germs: Everyday Items with the Most Bacteria
Explore the germiest places you may encounter daily. Bacteria is everywhere. Learn tips to avoid germs and bacteria in public...
Cold & Flu Quiz: Influenza vs. Common Cold
Aches? Pain? Fever? This Cold & Flu Quiz tests your knowledge on the difference between coming down with the common cold and...
Cold and Flu: Finding Relief for Your Cough
Remedies for coughing to relieve symptoms, thin mucus, and clear phlegm include cough syrup and honey in hot water. Use...
A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference
Learn common symptoms of a cold and the flu. Discover the difference between a cold and the flu. Read about cold and flu...
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Common Cold Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take this quiz to learn the truth behind the infectious, contagious, uncomfortable disease known as the common cold. Test your...
10 Foods to Eat When You Have the Flu in Pictures
If you're sick with the flu, you'll want to know the best foods to make you feel better. Learn some of the soothing, nutritious...
Home Remedies for the Flu or a Cold
Watch this pictures slideshow and learn about home remedies for sick children. Get tips on how to treat a sore throat, cough,...
16 Foods That Boost and Improve Your Immune System
Fight cold and flu with foods that boost and improve your immune system. Reach for bright-colored antioxidant and vitamin-rich...
Infectious Germs: Where They Love to Hide
What surfaces in your home or office do germs use to hide? What's the best way to kill germs on your hands or in your workplace?...
Picture of Influenza Virus
The flu is caused by viruses that infect the respiratory tract which are divided into three types, designated A, B, and C. See a...
Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
What natural remedies work for the flu and common cold? Many claim cold symptoms and flu symptoms can be relieved with Echinacea,...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) Symptoms & Treatment
Sinus infection (sinusitis) symptoms can include headaches, a sore throat, and toothaches. Chronic sinusitis may be caused by...
Sore Throat or Strep Throat? How to Tell the Difference
Is this a sore throat or could it be strep throat? Your medical care depends on knowing if you have a viral infection or a...
Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
Take the Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz to learn about causes, symptoms, treatments, prevention methods, diagnosis,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Colds: 10 Tips to Prevent The Common Cold
- Air Travel, Colds, and Sinus Infections
- Common Cold . . . Social Ties Decrease Risk
- Colds: Zinc For Colds...Jury Still Out!
- Cough, Cold, Weight Loss Drug Dangerous - Warning
- Flu Shot Side Effects
- Flu Shots - Next Big Influenza Outbreak
- Flu: Waiting for Flu Shots, a Real Reality Show
- Killer Cold Virus (Adenovirus Strains)
- OTC Cold and Cough Medications
- Pneumonia ... Quick New Urine Test
- Sore Throat: Is It Mono or Strep Throat?
- Sore Throat Symptoms
- Sore Throat: Virus or Strep?
- Strep Throat Complications
- Strep Throat Diagnosis & Treatment
- Strep Throat Natural Home Remedies
- Strep Throat Symptoms
- Swine Flu Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Vaccination
- Swine Flu: How a Hospital Prepares for Patients
- Swine Flu: One New York City Pediatrician's View
- Tamiflu for Bird Flu?
- Fever: Unexplained Fever...A Difficult Diagnosis
- Flu: What to Do if You Get the Flu
- What to Do if You Think You Have H1N1 Swine Flu Virus
- When to Call the Doctor for Fever, Nausea, Diarrhea, Colds, and Coughs
Medications & Supplements
- amantadine (Symmetrel - Discontinued)
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- aspirin gum - oral, Aspergum
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- aztreonam - injection, Azactam
- benzonatate (Tessalon Perles)
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
- chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin, Econochlor, Ocu-Chlor [These are discontinued brands in the US])
- chlorpheniramine and hydrocodone, Tussionex, TussiCaps, Tussionex Pennkinetic, Vituz
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- clindamycin - injection, Cleocin
- clindamycin, oral (Cleocin)
- clindamycin-oral solution, Cleocin Pediatric
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, PCE)
- expectorant/decongestant/narcotic antitussive/acetaminophen-oral
- gatifloxacin-oral, Tequin
- gemifloxacin - oral, Factive
- goldenseal (hydrastis canadensis) - oral
- guaifenesin and phenylephrine, Sudafed PE Non-Drying Sinus Caplets, (Entex, discontinued)
- influenza vaccine live intranasal; FluMist, FluMist Quadrivalent
- influenza virus vaccine - syringe intradermal, Fluzone
- influenza virus vaccine - intramuscular, Afluria, Fluarix, Flublok, Flu
- moxifloxacin (Avelox)
- narcotic analgesic/aspirin/caffeine - oral
- norfloxacin (Noroxin)
- oseltamivir (Tamiflu)
- penicillin V
- pneumococcal pediatric vaccine - injection, Prevnar 13
- pneumococcal vaccine (Pneumovax 23, Pnu-Imune 23)
- promethazine and codeine, Phenergan with Codeine
- pseudoephedrine (Oral, Afrinol, Sudafed)
- rimantadine, Flumadine
- sodium chloride - intranasal spray (Ocean, Ayr Saline, Humist, NaSal, Little Noses, Ocean)
- zanamivir, Relenza
- Zinc for Colds: Lozenges & Nasal Sprays
Prevention & Wellness
- 'Two Wave' Flu Season Unusually Long: CDC
- Almost Half of U.S. Adults to Skip Flu Shot
- Are Too Many Kids Prescribed Antihistamines?
- Arm Yourself Against the Coming Flu Season
- Baby Cough Syrup Recalled
- Can You Predict Your Common Cold Risk?
- CBP Won't Vaccinate Migrants Against Flu
- Changes to Flu Shot Supply Chain Could Save Lives: Study
- Do Hospitals Have Flu's Spread Under Control?
- Don't Become a Flu Statistic. Get Vaccinated
- Drier Winter Air May Propel Flu's Spread
- FDA Gives OK to First New Flu Drug in 20 Years
- Flu Activity Is Low -- For Now
- Flu Has Arrived for the Holidays, CDC Head Says
- Flu May Be a Factor in Many Kidney Failure Deaths
- Flu May Up the Odds of Stroke, Neck Artery Tears
- Flu Rides the Subway, Too
- Flu Season Far From Over, CDC Says
- Flu Season Is Coming: Here's How to Protect Yourself
- Getting Flu Shot Annually Won't Undermine Its Effectiveness in Kids
- Flu Shot Much More Effective This Year, CDC Says
- Flu Widening Its Grip on the United States: CDC
- Get Vaccinated Before Flu Takes Hold: CDC
- Getting Flu Shot During Hospital Stay Is a Safe Bet
- Got the Flu? You Probably Shouldn't Head to the ER
- Many Health Care Workers With Flu, Colds Still Go to Work: Study
- Health Tip: Flu 101
- Health Tip: Getting Rid of a Runny Nose
- Health Tip: Getting the Flu If You Have Cancer
- Health Tip: Help Prevent a Sore Throat
- Health Tip: Seasonal Flu Vaccine Fast Facts
- Health Tip: Strep Isn't an Ordinary Sore Throat
- Health Tip: Thermometer Options
- Health Tip: Treat Laryngitis
- Health Tip: Treating the Chills at Home
- Health Tip: Treating Tonsillitis
- Health Tip: What's Behind Cold Intolerance
- Health Tip: Your Child's Runny Nose
- How Getting a Flu Shot Could Save Your Life
- How to Decide When You're Too Sick to Work
- Last Flu Season's Vaccine Only 29% Effective: CDC
- More Severe Strain of Flu Starting to Spread Widely: CDC
- Most Child Tonsillectomies Unnecessary, Study Finds
- Nurse Fired for Refusing Flu Shot, Protestors Say
- Only Thing Certain About Flu Season: You Need to Get Your Shot
- Many Parents Wrong About What Prevents Colds in Kids
- Persistent Cough May Mean See Your Doctor
- Roll Up Your Sleeves to Avoid the Flu
- Should Flu Vaccine Be Mandatory for Medical Staff?
- The Secret Behind Chicken Soup's Medical Magic
- U.S. Flu Activity Low Right Now, but Rising: CDC
- U.S. Flu Cases Hit 7 Million Mark: CDC
- U.S. Flu Season Ebbing, but Cases Still Widespread: CDC
- Vaping Habit Might Make You More Prone to Flu
- Anthrax or Flu? - What You Need to Know
- Brain-Eating Amoeba in Neti Pots
- Cold, or Seasonal Allergies?
- Cold: Honing in on Cold Remedies
- Designing the New Flu Shot
- FDA Clears Test to Identify 12 Respiratory Viruses
- Flu Vaccine Shortage Alert
- Flu Vaccine Tip of Drug Shortage
- Flu: Feds Give Flu Shots to States
- Home Remedies for Kids' Winter Ills
- Colds: How to Care for Someone Without Getting Sick Yourself
- How to Handle the H1N1 Swine Flu Pandemic
- Is the H1N1 Swine Flu Vaccine Safe?
- New Flu Vaccine - Fluarix - Approved
- Presidential Advice: Shake Off a Cold
- SARS Lessons Unlearned
- Sore Throat? Could Be Strep Throat
- Cold and Flu: Soup Is Good for What Ails You
- Cold and Flu: Supplementing Your Cold Defenses
- Swine Flu 101: College Survival Tips
- Swine Flu and the Elderly
- Swine Flu: 10 Things Not to Do
- Swine Flu: Taking Care of a Sick Person in Your Home
- Warnings on Three Zicam Intranasal Zinc Products
- West Nile & Dialysis, a Medical Mystery
- When to Call the Doctor About Flu
- Zinc...Just The Facts
- Zinc...A Cure For The Common Cold