Trending Cold and Flu Topics
Watch this slideshow and explore the types and causes of a sore throat and learn how to distinguish between sore and strep throat. You'll also find out how to get relief from symptoms such as that raw, scratchy feeling.
Serious side effects from the flu shot are uncommon. Side effects of the injection vaccine may include soreness at the site of the injection, muscle aches, fever, and feeling unwell. The live virus vaccine nasal-spray does not cause severe symptoms.
Typical flu symptoms in children and adults include a fever (100 F - 103 F), chills, cough, sore throat, stuffy or runny nose, headache, muscle aches, and fatigue. Home remedies to help flu symptoms include OTC medications. Cough drops and cough syrup can be taken to suppress a cough. If a person's symptoms continue worsen, they should seek medical care.
Changes in the immune system of a woman who is pregnant can make her more sensitive to the flu. If you are pregnant, you should get the flu shot as soon as it's available in your area. The flu vaccine is approved for pregnant women; however, pregnant women should not receive the nasal spray flu vaccine.
Related Disease Conditions
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Tonsillitis (Adnoiditis, Symptoms, Home Treatment, Pictures, Causes)
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms of bad breath, snoring, congestion, headache, hoarseness, laryngitis,...
Are You Too Sick to Work?
When you're not feeling well, it may be difficult to decide whether to stay home or go to school or work. Conditions that are...
Bronchiolitis is an illness caused by a variety of viruses that is most common during the winter season. Bronchiolitis symptoms...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Cold and Cough Medicine for Infants and Children
The safety of giving infants and children over-the-counter (OTC) cold and cough medicine is important for caregivers to...
Cold vs. Flu
Though the common cold and flu share many signs and symptoms, they are caused by different viruses. Signs and symptoms include...
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments
Before treating a cold, the flu, or allergies with over-the-counter (OTC) medications, it's important to know what's causing the...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
How Long Is a Cold or Flu Contagious?
Viruses cause the common cold and the flu. Early symptoms and signs for a cold and the flu are similar, however, flu symptoms are...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
Is a Cough Contagious?
There are many types of coughs: for example, dry cough, wet cough, a barking cough, whooping cough, stress induced...
Is a Sinus Infection Contagious?
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is infection (viral, bacterial, or fungal) or inflammation of the sinuses. Symptoms of sinus...
Is Laryngitis Contagious?
Laryngitis is inflammation and swelling of the voice box (larynx). Causes of laryngitis are viral, bacterial, fungal, strenuous...
Is Sore Throat (Pharyngitis) Contagious?
The medical term for a sore throat is pharyngitis. There are many causes of a sore throat such as medications, diseases (GERD,...
Is Strep Throat Contagious?
Strep throat is caused by group A streptococcus bacterium. Symptoms of strep throat are: sore throat, white patches or...
Is Tonsillitis Contagious?
Tonsillitis is a common infection, especially in kids. Tonsillitis is caused by viruses and bacteria like the flu and herpes...
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...
Mastoiditis (Symptoms, Treatment, Cure in Adults and Children
Mastoiditis in children and adults is inflammation and/or infection of the mastoid bone, which is located behind the ear. The...
Sore throat usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by bacterial...
Sore Throat Home Remedies (Soothe, Pain Relief)
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
Strep Throat (Treatment, Causes, Home Remedies)
Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat. Signs and symptoms of strep throat include headache, nausea,...
Novel H1N1 influenza A virus infection (swine flu) is an infection that generally is transferred from an infected pig to a human,...
Treating the Flu in People with Health Risks
Certain portions of the population are at an increased risk of suffering serious complications from the flu. Some of these...
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
10 Facts About Flu Shots
Watch this pictures slideshow for more information about flu shots. Get the facts on different types of influenza vaccines and...
Common Respiratory Illnesses
Is your cough caused by a cold, flu, pneumonia or something else? Learn causes of respiratory infection like bronchitis,...
Cold, Fever and Flu Treatment in Children: Medications and Home Remedies
Colds and fevers are some of the most common ailments in children. Learn common cold symptoms, treatment options, over the...
Germs: Everyday Items with the Most Bacteria
Explore the germiest places you may encounter daily. Bacteria is everywhere. Learn tips to avoid germs and bacteria in public...
Cold & Flu Quiz: Influenza vs. Common Cold
Aches? Pain? Fever? This Cold & Flu Quiz tests your knowledge on the difference between coming down with the common cold and...
Cold and Flu: Finding Relief for Your Cough
Remedies for coughing to relieve symptoms, thin mucus, and clear phlegm include cough syrup and honey in hot water. Use...
A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference
Learn common symptoms of a cold and the flu. Discover the difference between a cold and the flu. Read about cold and flu...
How to Prevent the Common Cold
The common cold is arguably the most common human illness. Learn how long the common cold lasts, treatment for the common cold...
Common Cold Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take this quiz to learn the truth behind the infectious, contagious, uncomfortable disease known as the common cold. Test your...
10 Foods to Eat When You Have the Flu in Pictures
If you're sick with the flu, you'll want to know the best foods to make you feel better. Learn some of the soothing, nutritious...
Home Remedies for the Flu or a Cold
Watch this pictures slideshow and learn about home remedies for sick children. Get tips on how to treat a sore throat, cough,...
16 Foods That Boost and Improve Your Immune System
Fight cold and flu with foods that boost and improve your immune system. Reach for bright-colored antioxidant and vitamin-rich...
Infectious Germs: Where They Love to Hide
What surfaces in your home or office do germs use to hide? What's the best way to kill germs on your hands or in your workplace?...
Picture of Influenza Virus
The flu is caused by viruses that infect the respiratory tract which are divided into three types, designated A, B, and C. See a...
Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
What natural remedies work for the flu and common cold? Many claim cold symptoms and flu symptoms can be relieved with Echinacea,...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) Symptoms & Treatment
Sinus infection (sinusitis) symptoms can include headaches, a sore throat, and toothaches. Chronic sinusitis may be caused by...
Sore Throat or Strep Throat? How to Tell the Difference
Explore the types and causes of a sore throat through pictures, including strep throat, and learn how to find relief from that...
Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
Take the Strep (Streptococcal) Throat Infection Quiz to learn about causes, symptoms, treatments, prevention methods, diagnosis,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Colds: 10 Tips to Prevent The Common Cold
- Air Travel, Colds, and Sinus Infections
- Common Cold . . . Social Ties Decrease Risk
- Colds: Zinc For Colds...Jury Still Out!
- Cough, Cold, Weight Loss Drug Dangerous - Warning
- Flu Shot Side Effects
- Flu Shots - Next Big Influenza Outbreak
- Flu: Waiting for Flu Shots, a Real Reality Show
- Killer Cold Virus (Adenovirus Strains)
- OTC Cold and Cough Medications
- Pneumonia ... Quick New Urine Test
- Sore Throat: Is It Mono or Strep Throat?
- Sore Throat Symptoms
- Sore Throat: Virus or Strep?
- Strep Throat Complications
- Strep Throat Diagnosis & Treatment
- Strep Throat Natural Home Remedies
- Strep Throat Symptoms
- Swine Flu Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Vaccination
- Swine Flu: How a Hospital Prepares for Patients
- Swine Flu: One New York City Pediatrician's View
- Tamiflu for Bird Flu?
- Fever: Unexplained Fever...A Difficult Diagnosis
- Flu: What to Do if You Get the Flu
- What to Do if You Think You Have H1N1 Swine Flu Virus
- When to Call the Doctor for Fever, Nausea, Diarrhea, Colds, and Coughs
Medications & Supplements
- amantadine (Symmetrel - Discontinued)
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- aspirin gum - oral, Aspergum
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- aztreonam - injection, Azactam
- benzonatate (Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss - discontinued in the US)
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
- chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin, Econochlor, Ocu-Chlor [These are discontinued brands in the US])
- chlorpheniramine and hydrocodone, Tussionex, TussiCaps, Tussionex Pennkinetic, Vituz
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- clindamycin - injection, Cleocin
- clindamycin, oral (Cleocin)
- clindamycin-oral solution, Cleocin Pediatric
- erythromycin, Ery-Tab, PCE
- expectorant/decongestant/narcotic antitussive/acetaminophen-oral
- gatifloxacin-oral, Tequin
- gemifloxacin - oral, Factive
- goldenseal (hydrastis canadensis) - oral
- guaifenesin and phenylephrine, Sudafed PE Non-Drying Sinus Caplets, (Entex, discontinued)
- influenza vaccine live intranasal; FluMist, FluMist Quadrivalent
- influenza virus vaccine - syringe intradermal, Fluzone
- influenza virus vaccine - intramuscular, Afluria, Fluarix, Flublok, Flu
- moxifloxacin, Avelox
- narcotic analgesic/aspirin/caffeine - oral
- norfloxacin, Noroxin
- oseltamivir, Tamiflu
- penicillin V, (Veetids and Pen-Vee-K have been discontinued)
- pneumococcal pediatric vaccine - injection, Prevnar 13
- pneumococcal vaccine (Pneumovax 23, Pnu-Imune 23)
- promethazine and codeine, Phenergan with Codeine
- pseudoephedrine (Oral, Afrinol, Sudafed)
- rimantadine, Flumadine
- sodium chloride - intranasal spray (Ocean, Ayr Saline, Humist, NaSal, Little Noses, Ocean)
- zanamivir, Relenza
- Zinc for Colds: Lozenges & Nasal Sprays
Prevention & Wellness
- A Bad Flu Season Keeps Getting Worse
- Are Men Just 'Babies' When They Get the Flu? Maybe Not
- Bye-Bye Flu Shot, Hello Patch?
- CDC Says Flu Vaccine Just 25 Percent Effective Against Leading Strain
- Could Rover Unleash a Flu Pandemic?
- Drug That Kills Flu in One Day Approved In Japan
- End of Brutal Flu Season in Sight
- Even a 'Bad' Flu Vaccine Could Save 61,000 Lives: Study
- Fighting a Cold or Flu? Beware of Overdosing on Tylenol
- Flu Can Have Dangerous Domino Effect on Older Adults
- Flu Kills 646,000 People Worldwide Each Year: Study
- Flu May Be Spread By Just Breathing
- Flu Season Finally Slowing Down
- Flu Season One of the Worst in a Decade: CDC
- Flu Season Shows More Signs of Slowing
- Flu Shot Could Help Your Kid Avoid Hospital
- Flu Shot During Pregnancy Poses No Harm to Baby
- High-Dose Flu Shot May Help Nursing Home Residents Avoid Hospital
- Flu Vaccine Could Work as Well as Last Year's Shot: Study
- Getting Annual Flu Shot Won't Weaken Your Immune System
- Have Fun at the Fair, But Don't Pet the Pigs
- Health Tip: Flu Season is Around the Corner
- Health Tip: Flu Shot 101
- Health Tip: Prevent Germs at the Doctor's Office
- Health Tip: Quiet Your Cough
- Health Tip: Traveling During Flu Season
- High-Dose Vitamin D May Not Curb Kids' Colds
- Hold That Sneeze? Maybe Not
- How to Fight the Flu This Season
- How to Spare Family and Coworkers Your Flu Misery
- Human Cold Virus Killed Chimpanzees
- Humidity Won't Hamper Spread of Flu Virus
- More Bad News on Flu: It's Tied to Higher Heart Attack Risk
- Is It a Cold or Flu? Here's How to Tell
- It's a Century Since the 1918 Flu Pandemic - Could It Happen Again?
- It's Still Not Too Late for a Flu Shot
- It's Time to Get Your Flu Shot Again
- Just How Bad Is This Flu Season? Experts Weigh In
- Study Debunks Link Between Tamiflu and Teen Suicide
- Many, But Not All, Hospitals Require Flu Shots for Staffers
- More Bad Flu News: It May Raise Your Heart Attack Risk
- Nasty Flu Season Easing Up
- Nasty Flu Season Shows More Signs of Slowing
- New Version of Nasal Flu Vaccine to Return for Next Season
- Next Flu Pandemic Could Appear in Spring or Summer: Study
- No Drop in Flu Vaccinations Since Nasal Spray Withdrawn
- Progress on 'Universal' Vaccine Against Leading Flu Strain
- Put Flu Shot on the Back-to-School Checklist
- Scientists Are Targeting the Common Cold
- Scientists Learn How Flu Virus Changes So Quickly
- Scientists Seek a Better Flu Vaccine
- Most Seniors Think Flu Shot a Must for Nursing Home Staff
- Severe Flu Cases Just Keep Rising: CDC
- Severe Flu Season Tightens Its Grip on U.S.
- Severe Flu Season, Tough Winter a Double Whammy for Blood Banks
- Shining a Deadly New Light on Airborne Flu Virus
- Health Tip: Things to Know About This Year's Flu Shot
- Too Few Older, Hospitalized Patients Getting Flu Tests
- Tough Flu Season Ahead: Vaccine May Only Be 10 Percent Effective
- From Horses to Humans: Uncovering a Clue to Sore Throats
- With Warmer Weather Comes Wrap-Up of Severe Flu Season
- Weak Vaccine Making Flu Season Even Tougher, CDC Says
- What Really Works to Fight a Stubborn Cough?
- What You Need to Know About Fever in Adults
- When a Cold or Flu Strikes a Family Member
- Health Tip: When to Seek Medical Care if You Have the Flu
- Who Will and Who Won't Get the Flu?
- Why the Flu Makes You Feel So Miserable
- Why Was This Year's Flu Shot So Weak? FDA Wants to Know
- Will These 2 Home Remedies Help Your Sore Throat?
- Will This Year's Flu Shot Be as Weak as Last Season's?
- With Severe Flu Season Lurking, Shots a Must
- Young Men Face Higher Risk for Rare Flu Complication
- Anthrax or Flu? - What You Need to Know
- Antibiotic Resistance: Snort. Sniffle. Sneeze. No Antibiotics Please!
- Brain-Eating Amoeba in Neti Pots
- Cold and Flu Symptoms
- Cold, or Seasonal Allergies?
- Cold: Honing in on Cold Remedies
- Cover Your Cough!
- Designing the New Flu Shot
- FDA Clears Test to Identify 12 Respiratory Viruses
- Flu Prevention for the 2005-2006 Season
- Flu Vaccine Shortage Alert
- Flu Vaccine Tip of Drug Shortage
- Flu: Feds Give Flu Shots to States
- Germs Germs Everywhere!
- Home Remedies for Kids' Winter Ills
- Colds: How to Care for Someone Without Getting Sick Yourself
- How to Handle the H1N1 Swine Flu Pandemic
- Is the H1N1 Swine Flu Vaccine Safe?
- New Flu Vaccine - Fluarix - Approved
- Pneumonia Vaccine for High Risk Groups
- Presidential Advice: Shake Off a Cold
- SARS Lessons Unlearned
- Sore Throat? Could Be Strep Throat
- Cold and Flu: Soup Is Good for What Ails You
- Cold and Flu: Supplementing Your Cold Defenses
- Swine Flu 101: College Survival Tips
- Swine Flu and the Elderly
- Swine Flu: 10 Things Not to Do
- Swine Flu: Taking Care of a Sick Person in Your Home
- Warnings on Three Zicam Intranasal Zinc Products
- West Nile & Dialysis, a Medical Mystery
- When to Call the Doctor About Flu
- Zinc...Just The Facts
- Zinc...A Cure For The Common Cold