Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Diagnosis

How was your clostridium difficile colitis diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

After traveling for business and eating out the entire 4 days when I got back the diarrhea (watery/explosive) started right up. I assumed a gastrointestinal bug. Six weeks later I called my primary care physician, and went for stool samples. They called me the next day with the diagnosis of Clostridium difficile. Two rounds of their prescription treatment did nothing, in fact it was worse. A friend talked with a friend who was suffering chemotherapy diarrhea and she said to take Culturelle probiotics 2/day for a month, then daily thereafter. I took 2 at 11 am and by 1 pm I felt the best I had in 6 weeks, and diarrhea gone! Now I take Culturelle 3, 7 times/week prophylactically! The cheapest price is at BJ's wholesale, next lowest Walmart. Try it, it worked.

Comment from: Gorzquinn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

While recovering from torn distal bicep surgery, I noted the initial signs and symptoms four to five weeks post-surgery. The adjustable elbow brace I wore for a two months 24/7 I believe created the problem (carpal tunnel syndrome). This brace is designed to support and restrict, and adjusted over a period of time so the arm and elbow can return to normal function. During my recovery, the focus is on repaired torn distal bicep, the brace is designed to limit and restrict movement. It is here the 4 straps of this device are applying pressure to your upper and lower. The amount of tension applied to these straps create a force of pressure and over a period of time will cause problems like mine. Therefore, the use of the adjustable elbow brace should be reviewed.

Comment from: Mary8479, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had been on various antibiotics for chronic urinary tract infections for over a year. I went to a urologist and she prescribed me Keflex for 3 months. I was on it only for 6 days when I started feeling like I had the flu. It was during flu season. I thought I just needed to give it time. I kept getting worse. I couldn't eat anything and I was living in the bathroom, also with nausea so bad I wanted to kill myself. I finally called the doctor and the nurse told me to go immediately to the emergency room. I was so dehydrated that my kidneys were failing. They admitted me because I was so sick and they already suspected Clostridium difficile. The test came out positive. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I got it again 2 months later. It was 5 or 6 months before I felt normal.

Comment from: Dixie_Darlin, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 25

My mother came down with a fever and diarrhea, so I told her to make sure she's drinking plenty and taking something for fever. She has many other health problems, biggest ones Parkinson's disease and stage 4 emphysema. She had forever been on Cipro antibiotics for problems with her kidneys. At any rate, she called and was on the floor, I rushed and tried to get her up, but she could not help me. I called 911 and to the hospital she went. She was diagnosed with Clostridium difficile. After three days we came home, and she took Flagyl for two weeks. She seemed fine. I took her for her follow-up a week later, and the doctor said she was good. Five days later, I went to my Mom's and found she had passed away. I suspect the C. difficile but with other health issues, that can't be sure. Just please be careful. I miss my mother.

Comment from: oklagramma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

My clostridium difficile colitis was diagnosed by stool culture. I thought it would clear up on its own and waited too long to have it done (10 days or so). The doctor immediately suspected C. difficile since I had been on Cipro for a urinary tract infection, but it took 2 days to get a clear urine sample with no Cipro present and he made me wait another 3 days for cultures to return positive. I saw a gastroenterologist today who was appalled that I wasn't treated while waiting for the culture as my symptoms were extremely severe: 15 episodes a day and fever over 101.

Comment from: Gayle1099, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I got Clostridium difficile colitis during my hospital stay for hip surgery. I was to go home in 4 days but had to go for almost of 5 weeks before being released from a rehabilitation facility.

Comment from: t, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 06

My vagina is itching and smelling, and I have a yellow discharge, sometimes white, due to vaginal infection.

Comment from: Richard, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I have to stress something very important. I was given Mylan-clindamycin for an infection I got on my finger. I was quite hesitant to take the pills at first due to the scary list of side effects. Really wish I had read online what happened to others on this antibiotic. But it has proven to almost always result in Clostridium difficile. I'm now waiting for further testing though they say I have otherwise all the symptoms for C. difficile colitis. I have had severe diarrhea for two weeks as often as 8 times a day. Also loss of appetite. I'm going the natural route of taking a ton of probiotics first before I agree to the two drugs they plan to prescribe me. I don't want to get caught in a loop of drugs. Never take Mylan-clindamycin! Find an alternative.

Comment from: Randy, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 04

My son has had decades of ear infections and thus put on antibiotics. This year he's had two ear infections. Now because of that, after a stool test they found clostridium difficile colitis. He had most of the major symptoms listed for C. difficile, fever, stomach pain, blood in stool and diarrhea. For whatever reason he's didn't do well on the medications for C. difficile. Side effects were worse than the C. difficile. After research we found a probiotic called saccharomyces boulardii. It goes directly to the intestines and fights C. difficile. After 1 1/2 weeks the stomach pain is 80 percent gone and diarrhea and blood is 90 percent gone. He has a very bad case and it's going to take more time but I can see better results than with medications. He still has a very low grade temperature of 99.1 to 99.7 which tells me it's not over yet. We are following up with doctors and may see a gastroenterologist soon for more options. From people I've talked to and doctors, C. difficile is very hard to get rid of and at least in my case it will be months to years to get his body back to normal after the antibiotic treatments he's had. Hope this helps someone else.

Comment from: kimberly sue ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

After starting amoxicillin for acne, I began suffering with severe cramps and diarrhea, unable to keep liquids or food in for over 3 weeks. I went to the doctor and she ordered several stool specimens which showed that I have C. difficile. I have been started on Flagyl and hope this clears this up.

Comment from: elainew, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I went into the emergency room for unrelated pain and was given antibiotics by IV for a urinary infection. I honestly don't think I had an infection, and the staff did not explain to me the risks of taking antibiotics. I was prescribed amoxicillin tablets and the day after I started taking them I had diarrhea. I stopped taking it, and a few days later I had loose stool diarrhea 2 to 3 times a day. At first I just thought it was an improvement on the previous diarrhea side effects, but it continued for several days with no improvement. I had a stool test and it came back positive for C. difficile. However, I started feeling better at that time, and asked to wait before trying another antibiotic like Flagyl. I never had severe symptoms, not even cramping. I very much hope no symptoms return and I can be done with this. After reading other people's experiences I will try probiotics if I have trouble again.

Comment from: Grammy51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I was diagnosed with Clostridium difficile colitis after 7 hours in an emergency room (ER) when I finally saw a doctor who ran a stool culture from the specimen I took with me. I had terrible pain in the back and bloody mucus in diarrhea. They sent me home with nothing and called next morning to say the culture was positive for C. difficile and prescribed another antibiotic. I had been prescribed clindamycin for a sinus infection and the stomach pain from this drug was instant and terrible so I blame it directly. I now take probiotics daily and will never take clindamycin again!

Comment from: No pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I have been diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis after having just a minor bout of loose bowels and blood in my stool 1 time. I went in for a colonoscopy. They took a stool sample and diagnosed me with C. difficile. I have been taking the medication for 2 weeks now, never had watery bowels except for 1 day. The only problem I have is I seem to leak fecal matter, not always but sometimes and then I cannot seem to be able to clean myself well. I have been on trimethoprim as a maintenance antibiotic for 25 years. I wonder if this could be the cause of my mild symptoms.

Comment from: maryam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Positive AG and toxin: presence of toxigenic Clostridium difficile strain by PCR test - that was my stool result. I was having diarrhea more than 12 times per day, abdominal pain, fever 40°C, as well as fainting and nausea. I was admitted in the hospital for a week and were given many antibiotics including Flagyl. The doctor said that the main reason is antibiotics, especially Augmentin and amoxicillin. Now my result is negative.

Comment from: Robin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have been battling clostridium difficile colitis for a long time, due to overprescribing of antibiotics. The first time I had it, it was found after other things were ruled out. Going on round 4 now, I wonder if I will ever be free of it. I had a really nasty urinary tract infection (UTI) a few months ago and it said on the bottle of antibiotics that it could cause C. difficile at a later stage. This time I"ve been sicker than the other times. It causes me to be sick to my stomach, have no appetite, feel weak, and of course run to the bathroom a dozen times a day. Something has to be done about the over prescribing of antibiotics. This is a very serious disease.

Comment from: Laura, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

My daughter went to a water park on 3/22 and swallowed lots of water playing out there and got this clostridium difficile colitis. She started it with sore throat and no one at the local emergency room found anything, although she had 102.8 temperature. One week later, another doctor tested her for strep throat and for mononucleosis and nothing showed. Finally, after we informed them that she had 5 times a day diarrhea for almost 6 days after finishing the antibiotic (cefdinir), they tested her stool. It was when they found the C. difficile.

Comment from: Pluffmud, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis after 3 weeks at home with severe nausea, diarrhea, bad abdominal pain and almost no fever. I thought I had caught a bug my teenager had for 4 days. It hurt to eat. I looked 7 months pregnant, and I had much gas and burping. My internist did lots of blood work - CBC plus pancreas, and liver. Then an abdominal x-ray, then CT with barium and IV contrast. My white count is low. I had a horrible urinary tract infection (UTI) and didn"t even realize it until I had blood in my urine. I took Cipro for 5 days, after all of this has already begun. I did a stool sample and more blood work yesterday - C. difficile. I still have low white count, also high alkaline phosphatase for weeks. I started Flagyl today. Thank goodness for anti-nausea and pain medications. I haven"t been in hospital for 3 years except EGD and colonoscopy last fall. I almost never take antibiotics. This is weird.

Comment from: Benson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was taking antibiotics for a bladder infection, then the second day of treatment I started getting rare symptoms. I decided to ask the pharmacist if it was normal and he told me it was. I waited 4 days after I was done taking my pills and decided to just head straight to the hospital as it started to get worse, they took a stool sample and I had to wait another day for results. So I was going pretty much 11 to 13 days with this clostridium difficile growing.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had a routine colonoscopy with continued diarrhea after the procedure. Originally I thought it was because I was required to do 2 preps before the procedure. After 1 week I called the doctor who sent me to the lab with stool sample. Now I'm on antibiotics with clostridium difficile bacterial infection.

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had 5 episodes of sepsis with a Klebsiella infection in the past 8 years. I was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis recently after another episode and was told it was due to the amount of antibiotics I have taken. I am due to have a colonoscopy this week, so I hope I get some resolution.

Comment from: Briteeyes601, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

My clostridium difficile colitis was diagnosed after having a colonoscopy because of severe diarrhea with blood. By the time it was diagnosed I had developed orthostatic hypertension because of severe dehydration. I came home from hospital in a wheelchair. I spent 3 months in hospital followed by weeks of physical and occupational therapy. This disease is serious and patients and families need to be well educated. Unfortunately for me I no longer have any healthy bacteria to help fight off infections. I'm not sure how I will be treated this go round.

Comment from: AKAY, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I have been on several antibiotics the past three years straight for acne (Bactrim, amoxicillin, etc.) I started amoxicillin and a week after that I got an ear infection, so they put me on clindamycin for 10 days. I went back to taking amoxicillin after that for a week, had a bad yeast infection, got medications for that, went back to taking amoxicillin for a week and then ended up with diarrhea for about a week (blood and pus in stool). Finally on Christmas day I couldn't handle it. I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis. I took 10 days of Flagyl, after about 3 days of finishing it, I started having diarrhea again, I went to doctor and they gave me another 14 days of Flagyl. I hope this works. I am guessing it was the clindamycin that did it. I am wondering if everything will eventually go back to normal or should I go back for stool sample after I am done. This was so awful I do not want it again.

Comment from: akasha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had been having really bad cramps and feeling really ill. I went to my doctor and they told me I had cryptosporidium. The pain and fatigue just got worse and worse, so I went to an infectious disease specialist and she found out I had Clostridium difficile colitis.

Comment from: carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been taking Prilosec for over 20 years now. I think it made me susceptible to Clostridium difficile colitis. I have been trying to get off this medicine for years now, the blow back is terrible and I end up taking it for relief. I think I got C. difficile diagnosed from a colonoscopy (I have had three in the past few years).

Comment from: Creamcheese, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I went in for emergency hernia surgery and took Keflex. A week after 2 nights in the hospital I got severe diarrhea. Stool tested positive for clostridium difficile. I am now going on vacation to London unable to drink because I am on Flagyl for 10 days. I am livid; if doctors know this can happen, why don't they tell you as you leave the hospital! I've had 2 solid weeks of diarrhea and now a ruined vacation.

Comment from: kukky, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My clostridium difficile colitis was diagnosed by stool specimen and CT scan.

Comment from: clara, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I"m a 25 year old girl. I took Augmentin Plus for tonsillitis infection and 2 days after this treatment was over I experienced bad diarrhea. Two weeks later I went to the emergency room due to that cause and I was hospitalized. After many routine tests they sent me home. Five days later I went back to the hospital because the symptoms of C difficile colitis hadn't improved but got worse. They put me on Flagyl for 14 days and 4 days after the treatment has been over I have diarrhea again. I don't know what to expect and I only hope things go for the better soon.

Comment from: Cely, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

A stool sample test confirmed the diagnosis of C. dif. Shortly before Christmas 2011, I was prescribed Clindamycin before a tooth extraction. I was later told by two doctors that this was not medically necessary. Within a few days, I started having diarrhea which cleared up for several days, and then returned with a vengeance. I was in the bathroom 15 to 20 times a day, with some bleeding and mucous. I take vitamins on a regular basis and started loading up on the C and D, both said to be good for the immune system. There was very slow, slight improvement. When I finally went to my doctor in mid January, she ordered a stool sample and that was when the diagnosis of C. dif was made. I was immediately started on a ten-day course of Flagyl which made me feel much worse than the C. dif. I knew I had to stick with it after reading about all the horrible things that could happen with C. dif. After a second stool test, I was pronounced well, but things were not quite right. I don't know how to describe my issues, but I was "off". After a little over three months, I read about SACCHAROMYCES BOULARDII in this blog and immediately started taking it. Within about a week, I could see a difference. I have now been taking it for about three weeks and feel I am back to normal. A big "Thank You" to all those who posted information on this probiotic that I had never heard of.

Comment from: Sidney'smommy, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 14

Well, you fail to inform in any of this that C-Diff has a FOUL smelling watery/yellow stool. It can also be mucous filled. My 1 year old is in the hospital going on a week for having C-Diff. His stool was tested, rectal specimen, and has had several blood tests run.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I have Crohn's disease and thought I was experiencing a flare. My symptoms were stomach pain, loose stool, and headaches. I had the upper and lower GI and tested pos for C diff. I just started flagyl. Background: I have had numerous infections related to my teeth and finally had surgery on my upper jaw in June to remove infection from the bone...I have probably had 6 rounds of antibiotics over the past year including clindamycin and ceflex. I guess the last round did me in.

Comment from: In recovery C DIFF, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

From a stool sample I had taken in hospital and routine blood tests they identified a protein marker in my blood that was supposed to be at 5 but it was up to 200 which c diff can cause. I was originally in for a head injury so they assumed I had meningitis or a spinal brain inflammation/infection but thankfully it wasn't. I was quarantined in the acute ward with red flags everywhere and people in full protective gear this stuff is contagious so if you know someone who has it stay away from them as it is particularly difficult to get rid of.

Comment from: Schuyler, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I got C-Diff in 1982 from being overdosed with Ampicillin, following the passing of a large kidney stone. I was sick for three months, until a stool specimen helped my doctors diagnose the problem. Questran (cholestryamine) resolved the situation in about two weeks. I could have strangled the internal medicine physician who prescribed an antibiotic for post renal lithiasis. In my opinion, there was no need for it, and doctors agreed with me. The daily dosage was huge, and I took it for two weeks straight. I should have followed my instincts and saved myself a lot of time, money, and pain and suffering.

Comment from: lanie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had two bouts of severe intestinal spasms, diarrhea, and vomiting and a fever of 103 degrees. The second session I had a fever, severe spasms, dry heaves. After a few hours I started passing nothing but blood and clots rectally. I was transported to the hospital. When I advised them I had been on numerous antibiotics since the fall. They immediately started the administration of IV flagyl and Vancocin. I was on the liquid in the hospital but I am on pills since returning home. I have the ringing in the ears but I am afraid to stop it due to relapse. I was advised it is the only treatment for C Diff.

Comment from: UtahD, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was diagnosed with C-diff about three years ago. What an ugly situation! I had it for several months. I had vomiting and diarrhea, dehydration, etc. I tried antibiotics and would just get finished with the treatment, and then the C-diff was back. It was the most miserable time of my life. I found that if a person will include the probiotic saccharomyces boulardii along with the antibiotic, it helps a great deal. I finally started getting better after adding that. I also took other probiotics, but the saccharomyces is the one specific for C-diff. I now take a dose of the boulardii every day. I had a knee replacement in March of 2010 and took antibiotics. Then I had to take antibiotics for a urinary tract infection right after that and was worried about having to take so many antibiotics. Fortunately, I stayed well. I don't know how I got the C-diff in the first place. I had not been on antibiotics, nor had I been in a hospital or nursing home. It is a scary thing, so I would strongly urge someone with C-diff to try the saccharomyces. Hopefully it will help you as it did me. Also, my gastroenterologist told me to take antibiotics only if it was absolutely necessary! I am very careful about that now.

Comment from: mommyofthemase, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am only 26 and thought I had the "flu," but I had been running a constant fever for three months, so I had an appointment to see an infectious disease doctor that my regular doctor set up for me. My regular doctor had taken a stool sample because he had suspected c-diff because I had taken Clindamycin. When I went to the infectious disease doctor, sure enough, it was C. diff! He didn't understand how I got it. I haven't had any hospitalizations in a long time, I'm young, but I had worked in a nursing home when I was 19. We're assuming that's where I was exposed to it even though I followed all the proper procedures when taking care of C. diff residents. I am now on my second round of Vancocin, as I am severely allergic to Flagyl.

Comment from: cad, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Reading these comments has helped me cope with my own situation and know there is hope in getting better. Three months ago I had a dental procedure and the dentist put me on an antibiotic as a precaution against an infection. A week after I stopped the medication I started with the uncontrolled diarrhea. Went to the doctors and was told I had C diff. It is now November and I am on my fourth round of it. I ended up in the ER this time with pancolitis, dehydration, and uncontrolled diarrhea. I now have infectious disease in on my case. I was told that I had not been on the medication long enough (Vancomycin). I was on a two week course each time and it comes back within a week. Now I am on Vancomycin for 5 weeks with a tapering course. They also said you just should not stop it. I am also on Questran. It binds the toxin and then you pass it. I am hoping this is it. I have always been healthy and I don't take antibiotics but the dentist scared me about infection so I took it. At this point I would have rather taken my chances on an infection that to go through this.

Comment from: smurf, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I developed C. difficile about 2 weeks after being in the hospital for my C-section at age 34. I was on antibiotic to prevent infection after the surgery and then another one started afterwards for a bladder infection. I was started on Flagyl for the C. diff. only to end up with severe hives. Then Vancomycin was started but it never fully cleared up. It took 4 months to clear this C. difficile up. You have to be aggressive with the doctor. I ended up going to a gastroenterologist and he put me on Questran (cholestyramine) which you mix with water and drink before a meal so it helps wash out the C. difficile toxin. That is what helped me in conjunction with Vancomycin and a refrigerated probiotic. I also had a colonoscopy to check to see if the C. difficile had done damage to my digestive system. GO TO A GASTROENTEROLOGIST! If that is not possible, ask for the 3 meds listed that helped me. Family practice doctors sometimes just don't know what they are doing!

Comment from: Jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

At age 48 I was given an antibiotic (Augmentin) for a sinus infection that began my nightmare. I became extremely ill, to the point I was bed ridden from sheer exhaustion because of C Diff Toxins. I was given many doses of Flagyl and Vancocin and neither of these meds worked. I kept relapsing with C Diff for almost 2 years. Finally I got the courage to go to see a doctor who administered a "stool infusion" to get rid of this nasty bug. The procedure worked for me. It has been a little over 2 months now and I have no signs of C Diff and my test results proved negative for the toxins. Of course, I am now very concerned that I could acquire this again because of how many relapses I have had so, for me no antibiotics is a "must" for the rest of my life.

Comment from: ynkeslb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with C-Diff, have had all the recommended prescription treatments, 3 of Vancomycin, my energy level and social life is nil, I must stay near a bathroom all the time. I am now followed by Infectious Disease Control. I have tried the probiotics Lactobacillus Acidophilus, but no improvement. I am now to the point of not eating, just living on Gatorade. I see the doc in a few days. This caused me to seek mental health and with the help of a psychologist and a counselor I have mentally improved, but physically have lost 27lbs, don't get to eat out anymore, have to fast 24 hours before going anywhere like doctor appointments, or grocery shopping. I have had 2 ER visits, one that resulted in hospitalization for dehydration.

Comment from: tgil, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 13

I have an 11 month old who has been diagnosed with C-diff. She has only been on Amoxicillin to treat a UTI, it did not work so she was given a Rocephin injection. That was in July. She was ten put on Cefzil, for a throat infection in September of the same year. Only to find out that after 4 days of antibiotics, severe diarrhea started (12-15) loose stools per day. Her bottom is raw with open sores, and screams when it is time for diaper to be changed. She was put on Flagyl for 10 days, symptoms became better for 2 days, only to return on 3rd day. It is now Oct 31, 08, and she is currently on Vancomycin. We have went to ER, twice only to be sent home, and told there's no need to worry, it will eventually go away. She is very miserable, running low grade fevers about (100.5), and her bottom end doesn't have very much skin left on it.

Comment from: SuperMama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My heart goes out to all of you who have had C. Diff! My grandfather just got out of the hospital from it after being there for a month. After all the tests they could come up with (yes, he has good insurance, thank God!) they decided it was C. Diff. and put him on an antibiotic which only made it worse. After a few weeks of suffering, he then trusted me enough to try probiotics. He's old-school and thinks doctors are infallible. Which I'm thankful for doctors, but you must also keep yourself informed and protected against doctors that possibly mean well but don't know how to help or won't because they're getting backed by big pharmaceutical companies. Anyway long story short, only after taking a refrigerated, liquid probiotics that I brought him every day, did he start to improve (rather quickly too). I used the brand Bio K Plus but there are other brands out there that work like Udo's Choice or PB8. Also, not all yogurt's will be helpful most have sugar or are pasteurized. I like Stone field Farms, plain with added banana chunks/honey. In a pinch, drink sauerkraut juice or Kefir. These are probiotics. Sounds crazy I know but it works! And when you're better, keep taking a minimal dose of probiotics to keep from getting any bugs again!

Comment from: Lorilynn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I am (was) a healthy 41 year old who entered the hospital to have a baby. As I am a group B strep carrier, and I had a fever of unknown origin in labor, I was treated with clindamycin during labor. The time of antibiotic treatment was 48 hours (not what I would consider long term). Two weeks later, my around-the-clock diarrhea began. When a course of Flagyl did not work, I was given 10 days of vancomycin, which I took along with a probiotic and yogurt. Less than one week after completion of that, my symptoms returned. I had a colonoscopy today that showed difficile colitis and we are waiting for the most recent set of cultures to come back. This is incredibly frustrating. It affects every aspect of daily living. This has worn me out both physically and emotionally and it's "only" been six weeks. I cannot imagine how people live long-term like this.

Comment from: Ides, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had c.Diff 10 years ago but I can remember it as if it were yesterday - it was the worst thing I ever went through. It took me 4 months to recover. I had been in the hospital having surgery and then 3 months later I developed an infection on my face and the doctor gave me an antibiotic and it ended up killing the good and bad bacteria in my colon. It took awhile to diagnose and then the treatment started. I had to take 3 types of antibiotics including Flagyl which is the worst antibiotic ever and finally Vancocin killed it. Thank God for health coverage because it was so expensive. I was scared for months after that it would return but it never has. I also took probiotics and I believe that helped.

Comment from: r'sdaughter, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 16

My father is currently in ICU after several weeks of misdiagnosis of c. Diff. Because it was missed by several doctors and a previous hosp stay, he has lost his colon in an emergency surgery a week ago. At 74 he'll now have to wear an ostomy bag for the rest of his life. We still can't get answers and or info about the future except from on line like this that we're in for more bouts - is that possible with the colon removed? Where else can c. Diff attack? I've persuaded my mom to finally call in an infectious disease specialist to evaluate his care. They think he's ready to move out of ICU and we are waiting for a room to become avail - with another c. Diff patient! Does that sound right? keep it around him! We believe he picked it up from yet another hospital in July when he had a stent put in. I can't imagine what is next for him. Get help and stay aggressive in wanting more help, your life is depending on it.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was put on antibiotics for a sinus infection (Augmentin 800) and got diarrhea a few days later. The diarrhea never fully went away and after a couple of months, my stool became airy, small and floaty. I felt like I always had to go but when I did very little would come out. It kept me up several nights with feeling constipated but then not being able to go only a little bit. The doctor put me on Flagyl and flora-q. After 3-4 days of that, I still was not getting better and started running a low grade fever off and on and had all over belly cramps. I did get better for a few days and then the diarrhea came back full force as soon as I stopped the Flagyl. A colonoscopy was ordered and my entire colon was filled with pseudomembranous colitis (yellow looking patches). The doctor ordered Vancocin which cost me 300.00 after insurance paid 900.00. I have been on it for a week and my bowels are starting to get more normal. This was an expensive illness in a usually young healthy woman!

Comment from: Sick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was diagnosed with C. diff, and no one knows how I got it. I have had one 10-day course of Vancocin. I still have diarrhea, cramps, and I can't eat. I have no energy. I am taking culturelle, which is a probiotic and I still have no energy. Even sitting takes too much.

Comment from: Hua Kul, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 19

My wife picked up c. diff. while in the hospital for pneumonia. It's a long story, but she had 3 bouts of it. It's been 28 days since her last vancomycin capsule and so far so good. On the last day of her medication I started giving her calcium disodium EDTA because I found a study that showed it neutralized toxins from Clostridium perfringens (gangrene) and I thought perhaps it would do the same for C. diff. The first couple of weeks that she was taking it she had no diarrhea, but her stool would occasionally have the cdiff smell. For the past couple of weeks no smell and now in the last 4-5 days the stool is well formed and no longer soft (sorry to be so graphic). I am giving her four capsules per day (total 1g calcium disodium EDTA, 1.2g malic acid, and 400mg garlic). I would love to know if this is what is working for her because it is so cheap and safe but there is no way I will withhold it just to find out.

Comment from: scaredprof, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I took a stool test to indicate the diagnosis of C. difficile.

Comment from: Jackie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

The patient is in hospital with cancer, was given chemotherapy and is on dialysis due to only one kidney and now has clostridium difficile colitis.

Comment from: Hopeless, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was on an antibiotic for 10 days and had diarrhea the whole time and just sent in a stool sample which will take a week to ten days for results.

Comment from: laser_doc, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I was having severe diarrhea 25 times/day and through the night over a month ago. The doctor gave me Cipro and took stool samples. After the 3rd day of Cipro, I was 100% ok but I finished the 10 day course. I was 100% recovered for a week, then sudden diarrhea again 30 times/day/night. The doctor thinks it may be C difficile. I was given Flagyl 500mg 3 times/day for 7 days. The stool sample for C difficile was taken. But it's been 4 days and the lab is so slow to get results. Taking the Flagyl is making me very dizzy, and foggy. I'm afraid to stop though, but at same time have to work and take care of my daughter.

Comment from: love2ride, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have been diagnosed with c.diff. After taking antibiotic Clindamycin for my wisdom teeth surgery. When I stopped taking this antibiotics I start having mucus in my stool with little blood and diarrhea. I was very dehydrated. I went to my doctor. She immediately take a stool sample. That came back positive for blood in the stool but no c.diff. Week later I called my dentist. He did make clinical diagnosis that it must be c.diff. I went back to my regular doctor and give her another stool sample. This time it came back positive for c.diff. I'm currently taking Flagyl. 500 mg three times a day. I got them for 14 days. I'm on my day four and do far its little better but still having yellow weird looking diarrhea isn't fun at all. I also start taking florastor with this antibiotics. I'm tired, my stomach is upset and I'm having headache. I'm hoping for the best.

Comment from: bj, 65-74 Female Published: March 08

My aunt of 60 years old died of Clostridium difficile colitis. She was given several antibiotics for what the doctors diagnosed her for, which was cellulitis. She stayed in hospital for two weeks, then nursing home for two weeks rehabilitation, where the infection started due to nursing home negligence. Thereafter she was taken to another hospital where they did surgery and took out her whole colon and she never woke up.

Comment from: Desperate Mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 29

My 18 year old daughter has been fighting this for 5 months. She has gone to the ER at least 30 times. Been to 4 different hospitals and during these visits she had her appendix taken out (which now I don't believe she needed), was admitted to the hospital for 6 days and numerous visits to our family doctor. In all that time no one did a stool sample! Her last ER visit a stool sample was ordered and sure enough she is diagnosed with clostridium difficile. The only difference is her problem was vomiting. And I mean constantly. She worked in a nursing home just before she got it and got so sick she had to quit. This has been life changing for our whole family.

Comment from: thc, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 27

My 70 year old mother was diagnosed with C diff after spending 2 days being very sick with diarrhea and 103 fever at my house. They figured it out when we told them she had taken an antibiotic the prior 2 weeks for an ear problem. My dad is in a nursing home and she goes to visit him 3 times a day. I am sure that is where she picked it up. She is on her second night at the hospital and is improving greatly. I am worried though about myself and my family. When she was at my house, I was cleaning up after her explosive diarrhea. Is my house now contaminated? How do I make sure that there are no traces of it? Should I be scared to take antibiotics now that I have been exposed and it could be present in my house? Should my mother continue to take probiotics daily? Should me and my family take them as a preventative?

Comment from: nana2749, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had received an antibiotic before surgery for double knee replacement. Within two days I was vomiting and had diarrhea. When I was taken back to the hospital they did not do a culture. I was taken back to rehab after a week of more antibiotics. Finally at the second hospital visit I was diagnosed with c-diff. The problems continued, I was in the hospital four times and in rehab three times between February 2nd and June 1st. Each time they sent me home I would have to be readmitted. At the last hospital visit I demanded to have the antibiotic for the c-diff while I was home. What is sad is the second time I was in rehab they put me in a semi-private room and I had to share a bathroom. I called admissions and told them that with c-diff I shouldn't be sharing a bathroom. When I read about the infection I went on probiotics. Now when I'm on antibiotics I automatically take them. I told my doctors to tell patients of the importance of probiotics, but I know they don't do it. Again like so many it's antibiotics that cause us to be so sick and in many cases as the report in USA today thousands die from this condition.

Comment from: starnight, Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I'm 31 years old had a C section in May and had a fever. I was given antibiotics because the doctor feared my incision was getting infected. After a month of awful diarrhea and stomach cramps I was diagnosed with C. diff after a bowel test. I was very, very depressed! They put me on Flagyl which caused some nerve damage I felt tingling and dumbness on my right thumb. I was so weak I could barely take care of my newborn baby. I had to stop breastfeeding because of the antibiotics which made my baby suffer so much. I cried a few times because I felt so helpless and was home alone with a newborn. After stopping Flagyl I relapsed and was given me Vancomycin with Florastor. It has been 3 months and I'm still battling with this, I have prayed so much, I want to be healthy to take care of my baby. I really resent this hospital, my heart goes out to all who suffer from this.

Comment from: Lucy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My 91-year-old mother had total knee replacement in October, and when I brought her home, she had c-diff. She went on antibiotics, and when they were finished after four days, it starts all over again. She was dehydrated from the throwing up and not eating. She is now on reflux pills and on antibiotics continuously. I told the doctor that I give her one antibiotic pill a day, and it seems to keep everything under control. He said he never heard of that, but it works for her.

Comment from: YY, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I've just been diagnosed with this Clostridium Difficile Colitis, and I've had a great doctor who already did several lab tests. He prescribed me an antibiotic called Metrogyl. He also told me to eat yogurts because they promote the “good” bacteria.

Comment from: Kitkat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had an infected hematoma following my hysterectomy that my hospital failed to address. They told me it would disperse spontaneously. Unfortunately it did not. When I was seen five months later and they evacuated the 'cyst,' they discovered it was an abscess full of deadly bacteria and put me on 18 antibiotics a day to kill them. I became unwell and discovered I had C. difficile. I was put into a side ward and left there for 26 days in isolation. The room was unclean and my C. diff was treated with hospital 'domestos' antibiotics. I had C. diff for 10 days or more and although the biopsies show I do not have colitis, the sigmoid sometime ago did. I still have severe relapses of colitic symptoms and am struggling to rebuild my life. I trusted my instincts that something was wrong, but my general practitioner told me to get back to work and be normal. I managed one day and was exhausted. The hospital told me I should not be depressed and could not understand why I had become so. My advice is to trust your instincts as you know your body better than anyone else. C diff. has wrecked my life, and I blame the hospital!

Comment from: cbyrne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was given Clindamycin prophylactically for a dental procedure and developed C. difficile a few days afterward. My internist quickly diagnosed C. difficile and put me on Flagyl, which has helped somewhat, but weeks later I'm still not back to normal. A friend recommended probiotics, and I'm going to try that next. From the comments here and my friend's testimony (she had a severe case), that sounds like the best thing to do.

Comment from: Bokonon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

The best way to fight c. diff colitis is to take probiotics. This addresses the core cause of the infection, which is that antibiotics wiped out the good bacteria that protect us from the bad bacteria and allowed this nasty bugger to get a foothold. Restore the good bacteria and it will get rid of the bad bacteria. And generally, probiotics don't have ill side effects. It worked for me.

Published: June 25

My 4 month old granddaughter (preemie 30 weeks) has been on a lot of antibiotics and Axid for reflux. She has had blood in her stools since her d/c from hospital 1 week after mother's day. No one seems to be worried but me. The stools were cultured and normal results. Pediatrician said if persists we will test for c.diff. What is the treatment for an infant with c.diff. When will someone do something? My poor baby has had such a miserable life so far. Many belly aches, wheezing, cough, pneumonia, loose stools with blood, red butt, gassy, crys a lot.

Published: June 10

After three years of relapses of Clostridium Difficile Colitis, I started pro biotics -- Flora Q and Florastor each twice daily. I have been free of Clostridium Difficile Colitis for 2 years now, and no more vancomycin!

Published: June 09

My 80 year old Mother is on her second bout of Clostridium Difficile, her first being approximately 1 1/2 months ago. She was originally started on the Flagyl, but after several days of being on that particular antibiotic, she developed severe diarrhea and nausea. The Doctor then put her on the Vancomycin. Her Humana drug coverage picked up most of the cost of it ($900) and she only had to pay $300, which was still a hardship on her fixed income. With this current bout of the C-Diff however, she has opted for the Flagyl, since her Humana drug coverage is no longer in effect meaning she would have to come up with the $1200 cash to eradicate this despicable virus. She is once again experiencing the severe diarrhea and nausea. I do not know what to do now. Should I take her into the ER and let them decide what might be best? Her Doctor wants her back on the Vancomycin, but we are at a loss as to where to come up with that kind of money.

Comment from: exhausted, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

Went to the hospital with severe pain diarrhea and vomiting. diagnosed with an intestinal blockage due to c diff have been back to the hospital several times since with blockages in my small intestine which the doctors say are caused from the c diff all except for about five inches of my colon had to be removed but it did not help getting rid of the c diff. been on vanco for the past 8 months and still testing positive and having bloody loose stools and severe pain. Tired and woren out.

Comment from: Betty from Missouri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

2011- I was diagnosed with C-diff and I am talking the medicine to get rid of this awful bacteria. I have also gone to a natural doctor and she gave me silver shield with sol technology and this helped me dramatically. I am also taking probiotic three times a day. I will finish this week the Metroniadazole and I will be tested again. I will let you know how I am doing and if this worked.

Comment from: dollymama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

The first time was through a fecal sample. The second time was through a colonoscopy after the fecal sample came up negative. This second bout left me in diapers - and barely keeping clean even with their use. In a matter of days my stool was non-existent. I was leaking green-bile-colored fluid and had an absence of stool. Flagyl never worked for me, vancocyn did, quite thankfully! I am now battling again, for a 4th time - and taking florastor. I am much better than in previous cases - so very thankfully! My immune system is awful - so I don't produce antibodies to infections well at all. I haven't taken antibiotics for over 2 years (had TWO surgeries without them) and am still struggling. I am hopeful for new treatments for this painful problem!

Comment from: Meg, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I was very careful around a sick friend who had symptoms of c. diff, among other things. It was not until she was in the hospital for 3 days with terrible diarrhea that a caution sign was put on her room door. I stepped the precautions up but it was probably too late because I got sick a couple of weeks later although I always showered after visiting and used a bleach solution to clean. I ended up in an emergency care facility with IV fluids and was discharged with Flagyl. A week later I still feel bad and may have to take a second course of the antibiotic. I am also the primary caregiver for my mother who is almost 90 and I have to be careful to not infect her. I think that patients with this need to be educated (if possible) and isolated so they don't make others sick. I have never had this before and I am losing days to being tired and in the bathroom all the time. I have also lost 12 lbs. and I was already a size 6.

Comment from: sheila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was on antibiotics and got c-diff, I suffered for about a month before being diagnosed. Terrible pain, running to the bathroom night and day, brutal! I got antibiotics for the c-diff which gave me thrush = more antibiotics and then a systemic yeast infection. Although it is 8 months after c-diff, and I have just had a negative yeast test, I know that I still have the systemic yeast as my tongue is white and my bowels are still loose, not diarrhea, I go just once a day, but loose. I don't know what to do. I think that this loose stool dilemma is making it so that I am not getting nutrients from my diet as I have low iron at 11 and have many other health problems since this c-diff and yeast infection.

Comment from: jdmcc44, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have Crohn's Disease and when I ended up in the hospital with severe abdominal pain and diarrhea thinking I was having an exacerbation of the disease, tests were done. As my CT did not show Crohn's inflammation, they decided to do some stool tests which confirmed I had C-diff. Very painful and unpleasant for me.

Comment from: Kathleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I was diagnosed with clostridium difficile colitis, I wasn't on any antibiotics and I not only suffered severe stomach pain and diarrhea but I also was vomiting so severely for 6 to 8 hours and called 911 to take me to ER. They took a stool sample and it was positive. My question is did anyone else have more then only pain and diarrhea? I haven't seen the vomiting in any symptoms.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 01

Symptoms continued after leaving hospital. I also was treated for diarrhea and upper L abdominal pain during the summer of 2010, with Flagyl as my medication. Never felt quite the same after that bout. I had bloody discharge 2 weeks ago and was admitted to the hospital at that time. After discharge a stool sample was examined and came up with the diagnosis. I am now again on the Flagyl and hopefully it will do the job.

Comment from: Sick and Tired, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I was given clyndamicin by my dentist for a tooth infection. A few days after finishing the antibiotic I did not feel well and it took another 3 weeks before I was diagnosed with C Diff. I had a high fever, ached all over, had terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea. Like many others I could not tolerate Flagyl so ended up taking Vancocin. One week after finishing it came back. I then was given another weeks supply and it has not returned. I finished the Vanco 8 weeks ago and am still not able to eat many foods. I am so limited in what I can digest and still have stomach cramps and occasional diarrhea. I have found that taking probiotics and have found that Saccharomyces boulardii is the best on for C Diff. I work with a naturopath who has been invaluable in helping me feel better. I am taking vitamins and minerals and going for IV therapy with the naturopath to help my body get the nourishment it needs. I found the allopathic doctors don't know or understand the importance of the flora in the gut and how it affects our total health. My advice to anyone with C Diff is to get a Naturopath.

Comment from: SickofC-Dif, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My daughter was very ill nearly ten years ago following a course of Amoxycillin. She had a high fever and severe loose stools. She was diagnosed with C-Dif and had her transverse colon surgically removed resulting in a Colostomy (later reversed). She had 16 surgical procedures in a matter of four months - she was 11 years old when all of this started. She was diagnosed with chronic Recurring C-Dif Induced Pseudomembraneous Colitis. Her last hospitalization was two years ago, but she needs to be cognizant of her health all of the time.

Comment from: lasat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was diagnosed in the ER when I went in with signs of neutropenia, diarrhea, after my third chemo treatment. I had x-rays and a CT scan for my chest.

Comment from: kw1378, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I developed loose and explosive stools, a constant low grade fever, and constant stomach cramping after a Z pack and steroids for laryngitis and a sinus infection. I was given Flagyl for C. Diff and my symptoms continued, as well as Protonix for GERD that suddenly developed and Bentyl to slow down the colon spasms. I was then given a course of Cipro after my stool sample tested negative for C. Diff. Finally, I went to a GI doctor who ordered a colonoscopy the next day. She said my colon looks perfect, and is now treating me with Xifaxan. I felt better until I actually ate a meal and the explosive episodes started again. I am still gassy on both ends and crampy. And tired and sore all the time. I was an otherwise healthy 29 yo woman and have lost 15 lbs in a month and a half. I hope this medicine starts working soon. This is getting pretty depressing and hopeless.

Comment from: gettinghealthy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I also was put on Flagyl, which did not help at all. My doctor than gave me an anti inflammatory medication to get the colitis under control, and I started on probiotics. Boulardii seems to really be helping me a lot, and I use a full spectrum probiotic as well.

Published: July 30

I have had three recurrences of c. diff in the past two months. I was put on Flagyl for seven days, then for 14 days. It made me sicker than I already was.

Comment from: lucki, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 03

If you don't have Clostridium difficile bacteria, no amount of any antibiotic will cause it. If you carry the bacteria, antibiotics can cause an imbalance of bacteria in your intestine and let Clostridium difficile multiply and create enough toxin to cause symptoms.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 22

After three days of diarrhea my doctor requested that I submit a stool sample. It was tested by the hospital lab and the report was positive for C. diff. My doctor's nurse relayed the information to me.