Patient Comments: C. Difficile - Antibiotics that cause it

Did antibiotics cause your C. difficile colitis? Which one(s) did you take? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: thebarkers0218, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I took clindamycin antibiotic and that was the worst thing I could have ever have took for a bad tooth. It caused C. difficile colitis, explosive diarrhea, high fever and severe abdominal pain. Since having C. difficile colitis, well, I never got well again. I kept having explosive diarrhea, abdominal pain and 10 years later, finally after being treated like I was some kind of hypochondriac, they diagnosed me with ulcerative colitis. Now I pass lots of blood in stool and all thanks to clindamycin antibiotic. Nobody could ever tell me it was not the clindamycin that caused it, I have 10 years of doctor's reports to prove it. Stay away from this antibiotic if you want to stay healthy.

Comment from: JustJane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was on levofloxacin, for a severe sinus infection. I had two 10 day protocols before a surgery to implant a pain pump. The day I entered the hospital for surgery I realized, when I was weighed, I had lost 9 lb. in the 10 days before surgery. I had surgery on a Thursday and on Saturday I started having diarrhea. I was given Keflex for 5 days following surgery by my surgeon and was only diagnosed with C. difficile colitis 2 weeks later. My primary care physician put me on Flagyl for 10 days and there is no change. He gave me an additional 5 days and still no change.

Comment from: Mary8479, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had been on Septra, Cipro, Macrobid, etc., for chronic urinary tract infections. My urologist put me on Keflex for 3 months. Six days later I get C. difficile colitis.

Comment from: redifrech, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I took clindamycin for a small infection and later was diagnosed with Clostridium difficile. Two weeks after finishing the medication I experienced intestinal cramping, diarrhea and large gobs of mucus. Prior to the use of clindamycin I was basically a very healthy person and now will be struggling to regain my normal life back. I would advise anyone to use caution and look for alternatives before using this drug.

Comment from: Butterfly Gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I took 4 clindamycin tablets before a tooth extraction. One week later I had C. difficile colitis starting with mucus discharge, 2 weeks later blood, and 2 1/2 weeks later diarrhea.

Comment from: hurt by meds, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I am not sure if I have C. difficile colitis yet. I had facial cellulitis 8 to 11 days ago. The emergency room doctor took no blood samples and gave me no IV, just 2 prescriptions; clindamycin (300 mg capsules 4 times a day) and generic Bactrim (800 - 160 tablet 2 times day). I have felt terrible with headache, overall nausea, a rash all over that itches and am now worried.

Comment from: scmama24, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I just was diagnosed with C. difficile colitis today. I was taking cephalexin for an upper respiratory infection.

Comment from: sa, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I took co-amoxiclav and clindamycin last summer so I think these antibiotics caused my C. difficile colitis.

Comment from: willneverbethesame, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had my wisdom teeth out in September, like most young people my age. I was prescribed clindamycin, which I only took for three days. Not only did I develop a dry socket, I found out that was the least of my worries. A month later (thanks to a very respected, determined, and wonderful doctor) after numerous tests, I found out that I had C. difficile colitis. I not warned about this. The oral surgeon could have easily told me to take probiotics and eat yogurt while taking that antibiotic. I had no idea this could turn into such a nightmare. It is Christmas in a few days and all these medical bills are piling up and I am so frustrated to see how many people this has happened to. I should have researched this! It is crazy that the prescription bottle doesn't say take probiotics or eat live cultured yogurt. This needs to be addressed! I need to contact my oral surgeon and tell them they need to spread awareness. Was my chances better not taking it? I think so! Flagyl didn't work for me. I had an IV form round of vancomycin that finally helped. So much for saving for a house.

Comment from: YYY, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Same as many, clindamycin for a wisdom tooth extraction that ended up being dry socket, caused my C difficile. I have been suffering for a year with on and off constipation and diarrhea. I started having blood in stool and white spots in stool. Finally I went to the doctor and tested feces. Oral surgeons need to stop prescribing this medication. Now I am on metronidazole. Hope it works. Don't take clindamycin!

Comment from: Oregon Mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was prescribed clindamycin following a tooth infection and root canal. The antibiotic took a long time to start working (around 4 days), and 7 days after my last dose the real problem started. Chronic abdominal pain and diarrhea for a week before I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with C. difficile colitis. When I read all the similar stories reported about clindamycin I wonder how the FDA ever approved this drug.

Comment from: Oracle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I was given clindamycin by my dentist after a tooth extraction. I felt no major ill effects while taking it, but two weeks after I had finished the entire prescribed dose I became so violently and alarmingly ill that I had to be taken to the hospital. That was two years ago, and I still feel the lingering and damaging effects. The colitis I ended up with as a result still flares up, and I am ever wary before taking any antibiotic without first consulting my gastroenterologist, lest there be a recurrence. Why this dangerous drug is still being used at all is inexplicable.

Comment from: AAA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was prescribed clindamycin after a dry socket for a wisdom tooth by the dental surgeon. I suffered with the symptoms for about 3 months after that and ended up in hospital because of dehydration. When I went to my general physician he tested for C difficile and it was positive. The general physicians and gastroenterology specialists all know that clindamycin causes C diff. I don't know why they don't just pull it off the market because it has now caused such damage that I have to call a gastroenterologist before ever taking any antibiotics as they could end up killing me because the C Diff has reoccurred about 4 times now.

Comment from: Nos, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was just diagnosed with C difficile colitis today. I had been given clindamycin for a tooth infection that had spread to my lymph system. A couple of days after starting this medication is when I began experiencing symptoms. Two months and 3 doctors later, I was finally diagnosed! I'm almost happy to know what it is and hope I can successfully rid this with the new antibiotic she is prescribing. The doctor that discovered it explained that clindamycin is often the cause of this infection in her experience and she does not prescribe it for that reason.

Comment from: WakeUpCall, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

My husband was given nitrofurantoin mono-MCR oral for a urinary tract infection on November 19, 2013. After 5 days on this antibiotic, abdominal pain with bouts of diarrhea began. He refused to stop taking this drug despite the ill effects. His gastroenterologist has told him he is probably suffering from Clostridium difficile, and there was an epidemic of this condition. Results of a stool test are awaited to confirm this. What worries me is that this is contagious and easily transmitted to others.

Comment from: lar505, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

My C-difficile came from taking the antibiotic Clindamycin. My symptoms started about a month after I stopped the antibiotic. I am now taking Flagyl and a probiotic. Hopefully this will work for me.

Comment from: alkgaiski, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I was prescribed clindamycin for a rash I had developed after stopping use of birth control. I have had bowel issues for almost a year and a half. However, my doctor had me doing the topical version of clindamycin only when I had a breakout and I soon developed the C. Difficile bacteria. Unfortunately, my year long struggle with bowel issues has not been solved but for now I have dealt with the C. Difficile; what nasty stuff!

Comment from: JaneF, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a 67 year old female who takes omeprazole and Pepcid for GERD. I took clindamycin for a few days for a presumed dental abscess and 3 weeks later I was diagnosed with difficile colitis. I was admitted to the hospital for two days of intravenous Flagyl and I am now on day 8 of oral Flagyl. I hope too I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't relapse!

Comment from: catherinephillips, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was prescribed Clindamycin for a tooth infection. I took it for 7 days. Around day 3 I started having cramping and loose stools/diarrhea many times a day. It has been 10 days since I last took any clindamycin and I am still having the same bowel problems. I am getting worried that I have C. difficile colitis. I spoke with my physician about this a week ago and she didn't seem concerned, told me that it sometimes takes time for the antibiotics to get out of your system.

Comment from: RockyTop8, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I took Cipro for a urinary tract infection (UTI), and two days after finishing Cipro I got C. difficile colitis. I was so sick. Took Flagyl, 500 mg three times a day for 15 days plus probiotic. Also was on yogurt. I am much better now; however, still some runny stools from time to time.

Comment from: smith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was on Augmentin for an upper respiratory infection and after my last dosage, I got C. diff. At first, I thought I was just sick, and then did some research. After going to the doctor and having tests, it was confirmed that I had C. diff. I was given metronidazole. However, the dosage that was given to me was not strong enough and it did not clear up the C. diff. I am back on the same medication, but my dosage has been doubled. It's been a week and I feel much better. I hope this clears it up.

Comment from: Cici, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I was prescribed a 10-day course of Augmentin for a respiratory infection. Nine days after stopping the Augmentin, I had the first symptoms of C. Difficile. I did not have a fever, but horrible abdominal cramps and diarrhea. I am currently on my third day of treatment with Flagyl, and am still experiencing diarrhea, but the symptoms aren't as bad. I am hoping that I am not one of the unfortunates who relapse.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter