Patient Comments: Claudication - Treatment

What forms of treatment, including medication or surgery, did you or a relative receive for claudication?

Comment from: dennis, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

Part of my regimen of treatment for claudication is to walk 5 miles per day. I don't normally walk 5 miles but I do hike 5 to 18 miles once a month during the summer. In winter I use a treadmill.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: PAD,PVD, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I've had angioplasty and stent placement over 4 years ago. I'm able to walk longer. However, I still get leg cramps, claudication. I guess I'd have the surgery over again because I'm now able to walk 1/2 hour to 45 minutes daily. This is great. I'm happy with my progress. Especially because my back is fused and I must have some exercise. Walking is #1 for PVD/PAD (Peripheral vascular disease/ Peripheral artery disease), so start walking.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: redhead02865, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was wondering if PAD claudication could be a gene that is passed on from family member to family member. My grandmother, my mother, two of my kids in their 30s, and I have this problem. I'm the only smoker. I ended up having three stents put in my leg and then I developed blot clots. I would not go through this again because my legs still hurt.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Claudication - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with claudication in you or someone you know?
Claudication - Pain Question: Please describe the nature of your claudication pain.
Claudication - Diagnosis Question: How was your claudication diagnosed?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors