Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: kayrakaye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

My symptoms of cirrhosis were extreme tenderness in the area of the liver, loss of appetite, extreme fatigue and severe bruising. This went on for several weeks before I sought medical attention. At hospital admission my INR (international normalized ratio) was at 9, a very dangerously high level. Typically I am at 2 to 2.5 (on warfarin). Initially I was treated with cortisone for a time and took immune suppressant medications. I did switch to CellCept after a very bad reaction to the first drug. Ten years later my liver scan shows little scarring and I am off the immune suppressant drug. My diagnosis is autoimmune hepatitis (AIH).

Comment from: JeannieD, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 25

My husband, 68 years old, was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver due to 46 years of heavy drinking. He stopped drinking after seeing the third doctor, but his legs are so swollen, even though he takes a diuretic every day. He has to use a cane now to walk. He has no appetite and his upper body mass is just wasting away. They drained his abdomen a few weeks ago and took out 2.5 liters of fluid. I am sure this will have to done on a regular basis. I wonder if the swelling in his legs will ever go down. I know there are different stages of this disease, but I have no idea at what stage my husband is.

Comment from: Jackie4867, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am a "healthy" 46 year old that spent my life avoiding the hazards of drinking and drugs. I worked out, kept a healthy weight and drank only on special occasions. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid disease at 30 years old and that began a chain reaction in my health. I was gaining weight but felt it was due to age. The doctor decided to add some pills into my diet to control my increasing cholesterol which meant more blood work. The blood panel came back with crazy high ranges for my liver so my gallbladder was removed as it was fossilized into my liver. My ranges still refused to budge but by then I was exhausted with the constant doctor visits that I stopped going. One year after my gallbladder was removed, I miscarried and had to have surgery again. The doctor was panicked by my blood panels and admitted me to the hospital for 3 days but again I figured it was a fluke and ignored their requests for further tests. I constantly felt tired, drained so much that car trips longer than an hour required me to pull over to nap. I was itchier by the day, felt like my ankles, foot soles and palms were just ready to be torn off. I was breaking out in cysts on my chest and face though I never had acne before. The following year my appendix ruptured and the surgeon panicked and referred me to another doctor. After an ultrasound, repeated blood work, an endoscopy, a liver biopsy, and a colonoscopy I finally gave in and accepted I was sick. By then it was almost too late, I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis with PBC (primary biliary cirrhosis) and stage 3 - 4 cirrhosis. I have had to have 2 more surgeries due to varices and perforated ulcers caused by my crazy immune system. I am now taking about 22 pills a day to curb my immune system and perform all the functions that my liver would normally do, I still swell up on my legs and fingers, get a little confused and tire easily but intend on living my life fully. My suggestion to anyone who will listen, do not ignore it, it is controllable as long as you're willing to get treatment.

Comment from: ajoy, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 08

My father who was 63, passed on a few months ago. He was alcoholic and suffered from cirrhosis of liver. He was in denial of his weakness for alcohol and always thought he had things under control. His condition deteriorated within 4 months. He started with a visit to hospital due to severe ascites when all his clothes stopped fitting him. After that it was a visit and admission to hospital every 15 days due to portal hypertension, blood in vomit, endoscopy, etc. His body withered away within a matter of weeks and he lost all his muscle. He grew weak and edgy with time as it slowly dawned upon him that there may be no way out of this after all. His protein levels were low and his will to live died over a period of time. Terrible times for family and a sad way to die. His ammonia levels shot up in the last week of his life and he was incoherent and semi-conscious. Last two days he was unconscious and hardly responded to any calls. Alcohol kills if consumed in large quantity.

Comment from: YellowSub, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I just turned 52. I was diagnosed with type II diabetes in April of 1999 and fatty liver disease in September of 1999. I tried my best to control my blood sugars and not have a lot of stress in my life but unfortunately I did not try hard enough. The fatty liver disease and uncontrolled blood sugars caused my liver to morph into non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver of which I was diagnosed in July of 2008. I was not monitored between 1999 and 2008, so I am unsure of how long I was actually in cirrhosis. Now, I have developed some of the classic symptoms such as water logged fingers and palms reddish in color. I look sick, I have enlarged spleen, two types of anemia, low CBC counts and I required 4 transfusions already this year, endoscopies to cauterize and/or band esophageal varices, extreme nausea, an ERCP (shunt in pancreas for pancreatitis), extreme sleepiness, high ammonia levels causing hepatic encephalopathy, itchiness and memory (short and long term) problems at times and then I am fine and can remember. I am sure I have not listed everything. The only thing that has not shown up yet is jaundice. I was a partyer in my 20's, but not every day. I stopped doing it in my late 20's way before the doctors found that I had diabetes type II and fatty liver disease. I can tell you this, being 40 lbs overweight and no glucose control has wreaked havoc on my liver and my body.

Comment from: Ron, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 18

My symptom of liver cirrhosis was pain under right rib cage.

Comment from: need help, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

With cirrhosis of liver it burns so badly to urinate or to have a bowel movement.

Comment from: Anna, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 02

I recently lost my father to liver cirrhosis. It was a tragic experience for me to see my father pass away right in front of my eyes. Just from Monday onward he was showing some weird behavior like desire to pass motion on the bed which he did on Monday, Tuesday as well as on Wednesday. Later on, on Thursday he bled in his diaper. He survived that situation till Friday evening. However he couldn't fight death anymore and died at around 7.30 p.m. in the evening. Earlier that week he was suffering with muscle pull too and got shivers at night. Seeing your own father going through so much pain was a heart breaking experience for me.

Comment from: Victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I am 55 and have been diagnosed with stage 4 cirrhosis of the liver and had hepatitis C but went on treatment and am hepatitis free. My problem is I have low platelet count and am constantly tired. I have diarrhea everyday but not losing any weight.

Comment from: dhirendra s., 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

My mother is suffering from colon cancer and she had an operation. The doctor prescribed her to take 8 cycles of chemotherapy but she had 4 cycles and 4 are left. In the meantime she has developed cirrhosis liver and the doctor says she will not be able to take the 4 cycles which are left.

Comment from: Tiffanybrooke, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I spent 34 wonderful years with my brother which was a great person his only problem was he was a terrible alcoholic. In March my brother found out he had cirrhosis of the liver and hepatitis C. He turned yellow and greenish tint and hid all of his symptoms from us. I think because he was ashamed. He couldn't even walk in the end and was told he had a year left to live. He spent the next remaining months in the hospital, ICU mainly! Throwing up blood, no appetite, etc. This is a terrible way to die! He was told to not take any over the counter medicine even if he got a headache. Well, he took an Aleve and his kidneys shut down and lived the last two months of his life on dialysis. He was a 35-year-old man dying confined to a wheelchair. He left a precious 20-month-old daughter behind that will never remember her father! If you are struggling or know someone struggling with this terrible disease please don't put yourself and love ones through this. It's a terrible way to go! I watched my brother die!

Comment from: pllfngr7, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I am 34 years old, and I went to the emergency room about week ago for extreme stomach pain. I had occasionally vomited blood; I believed it was an ulcer. I didn't think anything about the dark color of my stool, except that I haven't made a solid bowel movement in months, if not a year. I figured it was all related to my ulcer problem. Boy was I wrong. At the ER, I underwent an ultrasound and three CT scans. I have been a heavy drinker since I was about 16 years old. The CT scan revealed my ulcer, which was no surprise, and then the ER doctor asked me to sit down. I did, and he then revealed to me that I have cirrhosis of the liver. He told me in the best case, I have 17 to 24 months to live. Since I don't have insurance, this is my fate. My hands are shaking as I type this. Sorry, I just can't believe that I have just been given an expiration date like what's on a battery or a gallon of milk. The only thing I can say to this is: If you have children and they like to party like I did, please inform them of the fate that might be in store for them.

Comment from: Em, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I am 32 years old and cannot remember a day when my mother did not have at least one drink. The summer of 2008, she was diagnosed with hepatitis C and cirrhosis of the liver. She experienced rapid weight loss, jaundice, weakness, swelling in her legs, redness of her hands and feet, and lethargy. Even after her diagnosis, she continued to drink. She has since stopped drinking; however, the damage has been done. My days consist of shuffling my mom to and from different doctor appointments to treat the different ailments that keep arising from her cirrhosis. Now that sobriety has set in, she can understand the consequences of her actions. It is a shame that she has come to awareness too little too late. My advice is this: Pay attention to your body, get regular check-ups, and if you suspect something is wrong with your liver, insist on a blood test. It only takes one test to see if there is a problem. Early detection and treatment is essential to living a long life.

Comment from: Clark, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I drank beer after work, and took extra strength Excedrin 3 or 4 times a day. I did this 7 days a week for 40 years. I started retaining fluid and had to have 8 to 10 liters pumped out every week. I almost died of liver cirrhosis, now no pills, beer or salt, and on a low sodium food. I think I'm going to be around for quite some time. I'm retired now, hope this helps.

Comment from: jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I do constantly fall ill, then suddenly one day it hit me out of the blue. That was 20 years ago back then, and they called it non-A non-B hepatitis. I know have stage 4 cirrhosis. I have no energy, but plenty of bills. Good luck to all the people with this medical problem.

Comment from: sofie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My husband has been drinking for over 50 years. He has been in and out of rehabilitation and the hospital. He drinks whiskey. Now, it seems like he hardly drinks but his stomach is swollen. He is very thin otherwise. His eyes are fluorescent yellow and his skin is yellow. He is weak and sleeps often or just sits on the couch watching TV. He can barely walk and falls down. His urine is reddish orange and brown. He wears diapers in case of accidents. He doesn't have an appetite. He hallucinates at times. I wonder if he has cirrhosis of the liver.

Comment from: Timonopoly, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My sister just passed the day before Thanksgiving of 2013. She was very ill for about two weeks prior to this but never went to the doctor. She has been an alcoholic for many years. When I drove down to where she was staying, they were investigating and said she was still inside and she looked real bad and had a very swollen stomach. The EMT (emergency medical technician) stated he thought she died from a G.I. (gastrointestinal) bleed. They did an autopsy because of her age (45) and found she died of natural causes with the underlying issues of cirrhosis of the liver.

Comment from: Bartolomew, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I quit drinking over a year ago. After a month of not drinking, I was still not feeling really good, so I went to get a physical examination. The physical showed low blood platelets. Then I went through the tests to determine the cause. After CT scans, bone marrow extraction, etc. it was determined that I had liver disease. I am on transplant list, but MELD (model for end-stage liver disease) score has dropped. I have no sense of feeling out of it mentally. I'm more tired though. I have learned to relax and clear life of distractions. I am just on water pills and watch my diet. So I guess I'm lucky we caught it when we did. I have absolutely no interest in ever drinking again, by the way.

Comment from: wife, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband is 65 and was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. He has drank since he was 12. Since he retired early because he has pulmonary fibrosis, he drinks from morning to night and sometimes doesn't eat all day. I noticed that he has kind of bruising that looks like just blood under the skin. He is tired a lot. Before he found the liver disease he was going to get on the transplant list for his lungs now that isn't an option.

Comment from: Debr, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband smokes and drinks until he's drunk. Symptoms of his cirrhosis are his eyes are turning yellow, his teeth are falling out, he has extreme weight loss, and purple-looking skin on his face.

Comment from: Widowed Caregiver, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My husband of 25 years died less than 4 months ago of cirrhosis that he acquired from Hep C and alcoholism. He ignored his diagnosis of Hep C around three years ago. Did not get treatment for it and continued to drink everyday after work and all weekend long. Let me make a long story short, he had his first severe fluid retention in May followed by several hospitalizations. He quit cold turkey drinking so that he could be accepted to get on a liver transplant list. He was accepted, did everything he was suppose to do, but nothing could stop the disease which took over our lives. It is a horrible way to die. The progression takes over your entire body and mind, yes your mind. You are dependent of someone else to do everything for you which that loved one is glad to do, but completely breaks their heart and soul to watch their spouse go through. He was number 1 on the transplant list but his body was taken over by constant blood infections, multiple organ failure, and death. Quitting drinking after your liver is damaged is too late. I am now a widow and our daughter does not have a father and his mother lost her only son and his sisters lost their only brother. He died at the age of 59. Trust me when I tell you that you do not want to die this way. It is brutal and completely heartbreaking for your family and friends. Save a life register to become an organ donor today.

Comment from: worn out in Idaho, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I have just spent the last 4 hours wrestling someone into bed who is confused and disoriented. They tell me the cause is an ammonia level of 84 in his blood stream. I got no explanation of what is "normal". He also has extreme edema in both legs. Here is my problem. We went to a local hospital ER for his Gallbladder, which they removed. During the course of laparoscopic surgery they discovered chronic hepatitis (which turned out to be C) and early cirrhosis of the liver. They are telling me that ammonia levels and swelling are due to the "progression of his disease,” but he had none of this prior to the removal of his Gallbladder. Is there anyone out there who can explain this to me?

Comment from: Vegas woman , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I am a 59-year-old woman with cirrhosis of the liver. My skin is yellowish and the whites of my eyes are yellowish.. I believe my situation is fairly advanced, as I was first notified of my condition in preparation for ovarian cancer surgery at the end of 2005 (three and a half years ago). I am now experiencing bruising on different areas of my body including my arms and belly area. There was no apparent trauma or cause for the bruising, it just shows up.

Comment from: Snowball, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 04

My husband was diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the liver due to alcohol. He was told his liver was in the end stages as he was being tapped for ascites at least once a month, with gallons being extracted. He's also treated with an array of diuretics and a beta blocker stopped consuming alcohol and eating healthy and after one year has made considerable progress - he's gained most of his weight back and his energy levels are very good. The specialist tells us his liver has regenerated and now they are cutting back on his medication. Given enough time, along with healthy living, the liver will regenerate. When it comes to the liver there is a lot of hope.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

This past August I entered the hospital for a typical hernia repair. I am 49 years old, and drank very little over the years, and not at all for the past 6 years. However, during my hernia repair the surgeon noticed my liver was inflamed and did a biopsy, which revealed cirrhosis of my liver. I have other health problems, such as degenerative arthritis, so the doctor believes the cirrhosis was caused by my use of pain medications and combinations of medications for other health conditions. Other than all of my teeth falling out, I had little or few symptoms at all of the cirrhosis, and since have developed portal hypertension, for which I am now being treated with Nadolol. Other than that, my liver is still functional, so I am hopeful.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I am 59 years old and drank heavily most of my life, about 40 years. I went to the hospital with weight gain, an oversized abdomen, swelling in the legs, and ankles. When I was diagnosed with cirrhosis, my right leg was two times larger then my left. They had to take 7 liters of fluid from the abdomen. I have quit drinking, but it may be too little too late.

Comment from: Sissy, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

My husband started losing weight for no reason. He had diarrhea most of the time. His stool was black for two months before he ever told me about it. He started puking up a quart of blood at a time, and we found out the black stool was blood too. I took him to the hospital, and they immediately put four bags of blood in him. They told us he has cirrhosis of the liver from drinking too much alcohol. He would drink at least a case of beer a day for the past two and a half years that we have been married, except for one week when he had to take medicine.

Comment from: Robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

My cirrhosis was diagnosed when I was hospitalized with marked jaundice. I had been a long-standing alcoholic. For 18 months, I had experienced a loss of sex drive, a lot of weight gain around the abdomen, and a number of falls (when I had not been drinking). I had been accustomed to walking a lot, but my calves began to feel as if they were carrying lead weights. There was also a small amount of blood in my stools. (That rapidly worsened.) Within a week of going to the hospital, I developed hepatorenal syndrome and ended up in intensive care. That was more than three years ago. I no longer drink, and I am much healthier. Fortunately, no transplant was necessary.

Comment from: Peacock, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have suffered from JRA and IgE immune problems since the age of 2 resulting with me being in and out of the hospital most of my early childhood and on some sort of medication. I was diagnosised with PBC a year ago. I was extremely tried, irritable, constantly having sever sinus infections, feeling of food just sitting on my stomach which followed with vomiting, problems going to the bathroom, itching all over my torso, arms, legs, hands and feet, to the point where I was scratching myself bloody and crying at night because I couldn't make it stop which resulted in me not sleeping. It was horrible. I am glad that they found the problem and I am doing much better now after being prescribed Urso Forte.

Comment from: justmeinmo, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 11

I have been with my boyfriend for 10 years now. He has always drank beer every night after work. At least 18 beers a night. He used to start drinking at 3:30 and within a few years it moved up to 2:00. He is almost 38 years old now. He has been drinking since he was about 20. He drinks until it's time for bed and than wakes up in the middle of the night to eat. He quit drinking a week ago. He has that belly of course, but he also has yellow eyes (jaundice). He has pins and needles of the feet and fatigue. His liver is so fat the doctor told him he could see it through his belly. They are sending him for a biopsy in the next few weeks. He has lost an incredible amount of weight and kind of looks sickly. I just don't know what to do for him, I hope it isn't too late.

Comment from: Romeo, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 12

My heart aches to see my brother who is 45 that might not make it to 46 which is only weeks away. He survived the stroke and life was never the same! No one in the end but him and his alcohol! They don't live and don't let us live by seeing them suffer and not wanting our help.

Comment from: nazim khan, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 12

I am experiencing swelling in the tummy with cirrhosis of liver.

Comment from: akosha77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a 44 year old female who was diagnosed with hepatitis C back in 1995. I had all the tests done and was told I did not have it that bad, that I could live a long healthy life. I am a drinker as well. Just this past month I went to a doctor for the first time in 7 years. I did the normal tests and a week later got a phone call saying my liver enzymes had sky rocketed from the last test they had done 7 years ago, and the doctor informed me that she feels that I have cirrhosis of the liver. I have to go in June for more blood work and ultrasound on my liver. I have backed off on my drinking a heck of a lot. But I am scared! I have 3 grown children and expecting my newest grandchild to be born any day! I am scared! But trying to stay strong!

Comment from: Debra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I started with autoimmune hepatitis (AIH) in 2004 and was surprised in January 2014 I had cirrhosis stage 4 liver disease. What I don"t understand is what happened to stage s 1, 2 and 3. I knew a transplant could be in my future but not this soon. A frustrated patient with no answers. I have had cirrhosis since 2012.

Comment from: ligiaheldy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was wondering if cirrhosis of the liver (non-alcoholic) can cause fingernail disorders such as nail separation. ?

Comment from: lm1, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 26

I have just learned that my father has cirrhosis. He has severe fluid retention now in both legs and his abdomen. He has severe fatigue and general malaise. He is having some mental issues as well. All the doctor had to say was I am in for a hard time taking care of him. What does that mean?! I am trying to get more information. I want to know how long he has. He is 81. Evidently, he has had it for a couple of years.

Comment from: Bill, (Caregiver) Published: June 26

My daughter is 41 years old. She took all types of drugs for 20 years. Now she has cirrhosis of the liver. I took her to the emergency room, and she was in the hospital for five days. The doctor put her on fluid medications, antibiotics and beta blockers. She lost 30 pounds of fluid. He told her to see her family doctor. She does not have one. I have called four different doctors and none of them will see her. I was going to pay for the office visit. I hope I can find a doctor to see her to refill her prescriptions. If not, I will have to take her back to the emergency room. My daughter got hooked on pain killers when she was hit in the eye and lost her sight in that eye. When the doctor would not give her anymore pain killers, she turned to street drugs. I am sure this is how a lot of people get started.

Comment from: SadWife, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 26

My husband has cirrhosis (stage 4). His eyes are yellowish, his breath awful. He has sleepless nights, and itchy blotchy skin. He is always tired and grumpy. He has taken pain killers for many years, and he has been a regular beer drinker since his teen years. His MELD score is 11 at the moment. He's on beta blockers. We only found out a few months ago when he had pain in his stomach and chest area. Now he has three doctors who say his condition is not severe enough for a transplant. I can't believe how upset he gets over the smallest of things.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

I'm a wife of one that has hepatitis C, and we just found out that now he has cirrhosis of the liver. I have found that my husband's memory is very different from mine. He doesn't remember one minute to the next at times. Or sometimes he doesn't remember what I told him five minutes before. I found out that memory loss can be one of the side effects from cirrhosis. We have two small kids that I worry for as well.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Male Published: April 22

My husband has been drinking for years. He is 55 years old and has other family members that have past away because of their drinking problems. Now he is having all types of problems because of his cirrhosis. His ankles seem to swell more often now, and the prednisone seems to be doing nothing to help him.

Published: July 28

I am 33 yrs old now. May, I found out I have cirrhosis end stage. I stay tired, and over the last 10 years wondered why I would continue to gain weight without eating. Had my gallbladder removed in 2002. The puzzle was I had to ask my doctor of 8 years to have the biopsy done. I felt something wasn't right with the enzymes being elevated the entire time I have seen him. My legs and ankles stay swollen. My blood is clotting, and I have no idea what to do. I'm lost. No insurance, no job because I get too tired to work.

Published: June 23

I had to have my gall bladder removed 10 years ago and only then did I find out that I had scarring of the liver along with Hepatitis C. I have had some setbacks with low white and red platelet counts. I have been on this treatment before but had to stop because of insurance issues. This time around, I should be able to finish the 12-month therapy, as long as my blood counts don't get out of control. For me, the first day I started treatment, injection and six pills daily was pretty intense. After the first injection that night, I felt like I had the flu, one minute freezing and the next burning up. It passed, and I have never had any reaction since.

Published: June 17

I was extremely fatigued but I thought it was due to work stress and running an after-school program at my school (I'm a teacher). But, at the same time, during prep for surgery on an abdominal hernia, my white blood count was extremely low and I was so anemic that I was told to see my doctor immediately and my surgery was cancelled. Further tests determined that I had advanced liver disease from a blood transfusion I'd received in the mid 70's while in an army hospital.

Published: June 17

I recently survived a liver biopsy, I say this because I thought I had been shot, stabbed and gone through baring a child. I'm a 55 year old male that has lived a hard, fast life. Let's say I lived in the dark side of the force for over 30 yrs. Results of biopsy; stage 4 cirrhosis. I basically freaked out on the physician and there wasn't much consulting, I just wanted to leave his office and isolate. Treatment for my Hep C should start in a week or two, not looking forward to that either.

Published: June 10

I have been married for 35 years. During initial years of marriage my husband used to complain about acidity, indigestion but was treated with antacids. His major problem started some 15 years back diagnosed as diabetes & enlarged liver. Last 10 years his condition became quite severe with loss of appetite & complications like oedema, ascites. He was hospitalized & was diagnosed for NASH related cirrhosis. It was great shock to our family since he never had drinks (alcoholic) of any kind all his life. He is under guidance of good doctor who takes care of complications of cirrhosis. But unfortunately he has developed HCC for last one year. At the moment his liver conditions are quite good since chemo immobilization was done for 4cm HCC last year. We are following up with the doctor for any further break up by checking his alpha feto protein on monthly basis. We can pray only for miracle to cure his disease since we find no reasons for him to get deadly disease. He is 63 years old now.

Comment from: hoeful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am a 48 married woman and still have two young children at home. I was diagnosed a year ago by chance during a physical for a job. My life has been totally transformed. My numbers are high enough where I am willing to take the treatment offered by the doctors. My fate has been going on for over 20 years ago when I was violated by a person who was an IV user. I am so thankful because I cold be dead or dying, but I am just going through some physical suffering that will not last. I am boasting because it is an ugly disease, the numbers are from 0-4 with the liver damage, I am at 3. I am suffering but I do have the victory. I start my treatment next week.

Comment from: Daughter of patient, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My mother was diagnosed with cirrhosis. She is very advanced in the disease and beyond transplant. She has a very strong odor at times on her breath and comes out in the pores her skin.

Comment from: ten217, 35-44 Male Published: June 02

I am a 38 year old male, currently experiencing unknown bruising. I have been drinking daily for at least 20 plus years. I am too scared for a doctor check up. I have no insurance. So I figure I will suffer a sad fate. I am not sure how it goes, but I am very scared. If anyone reads this please post and let me know of your thoughts.

Comment from: cdp, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with 4th stage cirrhosis caused by an unknown autoimmune disorder. After I had my son a year ago I breast fed for 8 months and thought I was just run down from working full time, breast feeding and caring for a baby. Then I turned yellow and got pretty sick. I need a liver transplant in the next couple years and I am ab negative, the rarest blood type.

Comment from: pp901, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

My Dad died with Cirrhosis years ago. I just wanted all to know about Milk Thistle. It has been touted as helping with rebuilding the liver. There are even studies out there that say it works. You can find it in a health food store. I think you have to take more than one or two a day if you have a bad liver, though- can take less for prevention. I am not a doctor or anything, just have read up on this a lot. I wish you all the best.

Comment from: sg, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

My first symptom was loss of appetite. Then weight loss. I started vomiting without much warning. These symptoms were without pain. I ignored them to in order to keep drinking. A year later I was swollen in my abdomen, feet and legs. Soon I was yellow. When I couldn't keep anything down and vomiting blood, I went to the hospital where I was diagnosed with end stage cirrhosis.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter