Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments

What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: DM, (Patient) Published: October 22

Cryptogenic cirrhosis of liver with acute GAVE (gastric antral vascular ectasia); that's my disease. I never tasted alcohol and am a pure vegetarian. Always been a goody two shoes. I have already undergone 8 APC (argon plasma coagulation) and several blood transfusions during the two years it was detected. The questions I ask myself why me! The pain some days is unbearable.

Comment from: BelieverNow, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My father was diagnosed with cirrhotic liver recently, with hepatitis C. No alcohol all his life. He tried Ayurvedic medicines and noticed immediate improvement. His stools became normal, he has more energy in getting up, improved AST/ALT levels etc. He also takes milk thistle 3 capsules a day (200 mg each). But, it was more after Ayurvedic medicine that he noticed physical improvement. He takes Sarvkalp Kwath and Totla Kwath daily twice a day on empty stomach. In addition, he takes pills of Punarnavadi Mandur and Udaramrit Vati. His doctor was surprised with results and asked him to continue with whatever he was doing. Thanks to Mother Nature that provides all needed for wellbeing.

Comment from: Jackie4867, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am currently undergoing treatment to control my immune system with Imuran, Entocort (I became very ill with prednisone), ursodiol ,Welchol to breakdown the fats and cholesterol, nadolol to control the hypertension in the portal vein, and Xifican to prevent the ammonia build up, and Prilosec to control the acids. It is definitely a struggle to take that many pills a day but it seems to be working in stabilizing the cirrhosis.

Comment from: Farrukh Hyder, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I was a chronic patient of hepatitis C then suddenly suffered from hematemesis (blood vomiting and dark black motions). Bandings were made in emergency and I luckily survived. Just 2 years back lab diagnosis declared me a patient of cirrhosis. I am now cured from hepatitis C and became to some extent healthier but cirrhosis exists. I take sodium and fat free diet now. I feel normal but get exhausted quickly while working for long.

Comment from: Leo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have cirrhosis and I refute the statement that we are terminally ill! I stopped drinking and smoking two years ago. I eat well, I exercise gently and I am happier and healthier than I have ever been. I also look younger and feel good apart from occasional fatigue. Two years ago I was dying. Don't be afraid, stop drinking, start living, the panic will pass, and you will be proud of yourself.

Comment from: shirlz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

Last December my body started to shut down due to cirrhosis of the liver. Today I am feeling a lot better than ever, but I do have my bad days. I am tired of taking so many tablets a day but I know I need them. I would like to know or share my problems and find what the best way to do things is, like eating, exercising and any other symptoms as well.

Comment from: StupidGirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I'm scared, my blood work came back with high liver enzymes and low white blood cell count. I do drink too much but I never thought I was an alcoholic. I don't drink every day, but often drink to excess. I feel fine. I never get a cold, flu, and I have no pain or bloating. I would never have known of liver cirrhosis if not for the blood test. I go for my second blood work in 2 weeks and my liver ultrasound in 4 weeks. I've quit drinking, I always eat healthy, but will be eating even healthier.

Comment from: soma, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My mother is 77 years old. In January this 2015, she developed ascites which was infected, i.e., spontaneous bacterial peritonitis. Tapping was done several times and she was discharged on 18th January. Encephalopathy developed on 1st February and subsequently she stopped taking food naturally and was fed through food pipe. Within next two days her system refused to take water and semisolids through food tube. She used to shiver with acute pain which has been controlled by medicine for the time being. I wonder if anybody else suffering through liver cirrhosis has experienced such pain.

Comment from: Charles, 65-74 (Patient) Published: June 12

I am 66 years old. In March of 2013 I woke up to find that I had been in the hospital for 3 months. I was in an oxygen tent and was told that I had died twice. I don't remember those 3 months. I was transferred to a Veterans Hospital for 9 more months. After I was hospitalized for a total of one year I was told that I had cirrhosis. I was discharged. I was sent home. I am so sick that I can barely get out of bed. When I do get out of bed it is to get into my wheel chair. I have the symptoms of alcoholic cirrhosis. I drank for fifty years. It is a self-inflected wound. I bought Immune Force, a supplement to enhance the immune system. I do not know what else to do. I feel like I am being written off because of my age.

Comment from: rosamund, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My husband was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis of the liver about 7 years ago and was told if he did not stop drinking he would be dead within a year. Miraculously he stopped immediately and was somewhat better for a while. He had been drinking about 6 pints of beer a day then later strong cider in large amounts. He became very exhausted and weak and was also diagnosed with COPD from asbestosis contracted it seems when he was nearly 17 years and worked in a nuclear lab for 6 months. Now he is getting much weaker with general arthritic like pain and of course breathless. Not much appetite but he's not losing weight. He also has a heart condition which is long standing and confused the doctors. I don't know how to help him other than trying to get him to cut down on the junk food and have some healthy food and caring for him generally. The pain is difficult as the painkillers can be lethal for patients with liver disease especially NSAIDs. He takes some paracetamol only, even that must be restricted.

Comment from: R.I.P. Mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 06

My mother was 48 when she was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. By the time we found it, they told us she had six months and unfortunately she passed one day before six months. She would get paracentesis (draining fluid from the abdomen) on a regular basis. Also a natural medication I found that really helped her was milk thistle.

Comment from: HOPE, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My mother died on August 13, 2013. She had cirrhosis. She did not get cirrhosis from alcohol consumption; she got it from a fatty liver. The gene from a fatty liver can be inherited. She was on a strict diet plan where she had to have at least 80 grams of protein a day and no more than 2000 grams of sodium. I avoided giving her anything with sodium because of fluid built up in her legs.

Comment from: Marcella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver 3 years ago and had turned yellow, throwing up blood and fluid in the abdomen, swelling of ankles. I was told I would die; I was hospitalized for 3 weeks. I did not drink again and used all the meds they gave me to help with water retention, etc. I researched and found out how to eliminate salt from my diet, I walk 4 miles a day and try to live very healthy. I was just at my doctor's and my bili count is down to .01 and my liver is getting better. It will never be the same again but I live without any medication whatsoever. You can live with cirrhosis and feel pretty darn good. Not drinking is the biggest key. There is hope.

Comment from: Miranda, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: April 12

My husband was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis about four years ago. He had been drinking beer regularly, then cider for years in quite large amounts -- about 6 pints or more a day. Upon getting the diagnosis, he stopped drinking all alcohol and improved somewhat in the liver function. He had some problems with build-up of abdominal fluid, which was helped by the use of diuretics (spironolactone and furosemide) and restricting dietary salt. He has a lot of arthritic-like pain and feels exhausted all the time. He is very weak. He is over 70, but we must try to keep him going against the odds.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am a 38 year old wife and mother of three young boys. They are 7, 8 and 10. I have severe cirrhosis of the liver. When I was 10 years old I was diagnosed with autoimmune liver disease. I have been on several medications all my life. By the time I was 17 the disease had already progressed to cirrhosis. I have been very blessed in that I have had 21 years of relatively good health. I consider myself extra blessed because doctors told me I would probably not be able to have children. I have had 3 and they are all healthy. I am now suffering with fluid retention, constant vomiting, weight loss, confusion, and strange sleep patterns that keep me from quality time with my boys. It breaks my heart that they have to watch their mother go through this. I am awaiting a transplant and am praying that happens before they lose me.

Comment from: dfison49, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I have recently been diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver from undetected hepatitis. I have been going to the ER twice a week where they take the fluid out of my abdomen, removing four gallons a week. My muscles are deteriorating rapidly, and I have lost 45 pounds. They say my enzymes are not bad enough to be able to get a liver transplant. I am a 61-year-old male, otherwise in good health.

Comment from: Lin, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

My 77 year old mother was diagnosed with cirrhosis 10 years ago. This past summer, it reared its hideous head and she almost experienced kidney failure. I take her to all her doctors' appointments, and she has to have a paracentisis done every two weeks. That's where they extract the fluid that builds up in her abdomen. It's sad because I know the inevitable is around the corner. My dad died of alcoholism-related cirrhosis and now my mom has it from either taking too many meds a long time ago, or from undetected hepatitis. My best to everyone struggling with this condition.

Comment from: pat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

For cirrhosis of liver, stop drinking, stop smoking, and take multivitamin daily. For diet, eat apples, low sodium (salt will increase itching), plenty of fluids, homemade chicken soup, low sodium or no sodium, no or little red meat, no caffeine (insomnia), and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. We are terminally ill.

Comment from: Jennifer, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My dad has cirrhosis of the liver due to alcoholism. I am 22 and no matter what I do, I cannot get him to quit drinking. He has been taken on life-flight and spent lots of time in the hospital and a nursing home. No one has really told me how much time he has. They just say he will die if he keeps drinking (and he does). He doesn"t have jaundice but he does have confusion and poor motility and fluid in the abdomen. I worry I will have to give up my life and schooling as he gets worse. I just wish my age and bright future motivated him to do better. Why can"t alcoholics realize what they"re doing like the rest of us can? I try not to get angry at him and just take care of him as he drinks himself to death but it"s so hard. Best case would be for him to seek help, quit drinking and die of old age or something less volatile years down the road. I hope for his turn around each day.

Comment from: krishnendu mukherjee, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My father is suffering from a chronic liver disease his liver is totally spoiled nothing can be done with it. The doctors are saying that it cannot be replaced also (liver transplant cannot be done at the moment) he is also having high jaundice with bilirubin 22. Everything else is well his kidneys are functioning well he responding us but the main problem is his liver.

Comment from: Ken, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I am suffering through the same thing as Marcela. I will give her lots of credit. I just want to know if staying on the diet worked, or if I should try walking too.

Comment from: shar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am in remission from lung cancer and have COPD and emphysema. I've had a cerebral aneurysm, have been diagnosed with early-stage cirrhosis, and also have the hepatitis C virus (HCV). I'd like to know if I be treated with HCV medications and if a liver wedge needs to be removed for a more positive diagnosis.

Comment from: drjudy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

I have a very rare drug poisoning that led to an activation of the stellate cells in my liver to form scar tissue, which is choking my liver to death. I have no underlying liver disease. The only thing that has kept me going for 20 years is seeing energy healers [usa and brazil] and doing the Chinese exercise healing called QiGong. Being a doctor, I infuse myself with 100 grams of albumin a month to prevent swelling and inject 20 mcg of IGF-1 twice to retain muscle mass, hair, skin, etc.

Comment from: Rosemary, 55-64 Female Published: May 17

My uncle had cirrhosis of the Liver. He also had haemochromatosis. His liver made too much iron. He VERY rarely drank alcohol at all, cirrhosis is usually caused by alcohol. My uncle ate a LOT of BEETROOT which a professor said possibly contibuted to both problems. He used to go to hospital regularly for them to actually "remove" blood to lower iron levels. Unfortunately his blood could not be used for blood transfusions for others. The professor and his associates did many years of research and discovered there is sometimes both medical conditions involved. Because of this he also developed heart and diabetes problems. When levels became under control unassisted for a length of time heart and diabetes were no longer a problem. However, he eventually died from Liver Cancer.

Comment from: Hard Working, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My wife has squamous cell cancer along with cirrhosis of the liver. Her skin and the whites of her eyes were bright yellow. She didn't know her whereabouts and she didn't recognize her own family. This went on for about 3 months until they got the right level of medications. Her personality has changed and she needs to be watched all the time. She was denied a transplant because of the cancer. Her liver doctor has said she has two years or less to live. I would like to read some more stories of other people's liver problems. Please write more.

Comment from: barb4264, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 03

Is there something you can do for the extreme weakness? My dad has just been diagnosed with Cirrhosis and has had extremely low iron. He has gone through five iron transfusions and this week had six liters of fluid removed from his belly. He feels pretty good, but is suffering from extreme weakness. He is 70 years old and has had numerous other health issues in the last 20 years. He has had a number of balloons and stents and had a triple bypass 20 years ago. He had a small brain tumor they were able to laser and now this. He is so special and I want to do anything I can to help him feel better.

Comment from: Kahleengosselin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver about 7 months ago. I am now a recovering alcoholic. I associated alcohol with food. If I made Italian, there was a bottle of red wine on the table, Mexican / margaritas, etc. So, I've done this to myself, a habitual foodie/alcoholic. I am now waiting to be put on a transplant list, just have to get my supplementary insurance approved. This disease is a terrible disease. I also have fluid, lots of it, in my abdomen. My gastrointestinal doctor is treating it with diuretics for the time being, but I haven't seen a change in the size of my very extended abdomen, but am hoping I soon will. I wish all of you the best in your fight with cirrhosis.

Comment from: KIM, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

I have just found out my friend has cirrhosis from years of heavy drinking. She is yellow, always tired and coughs up blood clots. She has not touched alcohol now for 10 years but just seems to get sicker. It's terrible to see what alcohol can do.

Comment from: concern sister, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 29

My brother was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver a few years ago, due to drinking alcohol. When he was stabbed in November his cirrhosis progressed faster. He takes furosemide and a diuretic but his abdomen is getting bigger and he has swelling in the legs. He has to sleep sitting up. The doctors gave him 6 months to a year to live if he doesn't have a transplant. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I guess I can have them drain the abdomen, he hardly can walk he gets tired very easily.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter