Patient Comments: Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis

How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: jdwrites, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

In 2009, I went in for a Lap-Band surgery. When the doctors were in, they saw that my liver looked poorly and took a biopsy. Afterward, they sat me down and told me I had stage 3 cirrhosis (autoimmune type) from my untreated diabetes. (I was recently also diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.) I was never a heavy drinker or drug user! I have a good liver doctor now who does ultrasounds and blood work every six months and advises me and watches everything. So far, he says, all is ok. Still, I worry.

Comment from: L. Hott, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have cirrhosis of the liver. I have ordered Synergy 7 to detoxify my liver.

Comment from: janet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I was diagnosed last month with cirrhosis. I had a distended abdomen, and because I had been learning the signs to look for, because of my drinking habits, I knew it was my liver. I was given tests and was told I have cirrhosis. I quit drinking as soon as my abdomen was swelling. That has been seven weeks ago. So far, I have remained stable because of cutting out the alcohol and following my diet and meds. I have faith that the part of my liver that is still functioning will carry me through. I refuse to give up. My journey has just begun and I will do whatever it takes to prolong the inevitable. I look forward to sharing my experiences. I am 60 and my cirrhosis was caused from alcohol abuse for the last eight years or so.

Comment from: concernedmom, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 19

My son is 46 years old and was diagnosed with non-alcoholic cirrhosis and Hep C after being admitted to the ER for a stress attack. He never drank but had taken over prescribed pain medication for over five years. His stress attack was brought on by stopping all medication and this threw him into so much pain he just shut down. He is currently seeing a great internist, has had his gallbladder out and is going to be evaluated for the transplant list sometime next week. Then he will begin treatment. He was never a needle user and does not know he contacted Hep C. It looks like he has had it for over 20 years.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter