Patient Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes

What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I have had diagnosed staph 3 times. Two were MRSA. First time I was 5, living in Florida. Running around barefoot, I stepped on a sand spur, and next day my foot was swollen, red, and hot to touch and hurt. Third day I had boils on my leg. I was placed in hospital where I was given IV antibiotics and they lanced and drained the boils twice a day. Yes, all 11 boils and cut out the infected area on my arch. Second time was a dog bite on my left hand at age 50. I'm a nurse, so of course I doctored it myself. It happened on a Sunday. By Friday my hand was inflamed, and oozing pus from the two puncture wounds on my hand. I had been soaking in hot water with Clorox added, pouring peroxide on wounds and rubbing antibiotic ointment on, along with oral antibiotic. Didn't help. On my way to work, went by my doctor for oral medicines, she gave me a shot, and sent me to a hand specialist at Urgent Care. They of course decided I should go to emergency department. So I was in hospital for 8 days. I had IV antibiotics, and three hand surgeries to open up and clean wound. Those hand wounds are so painful, and I was on pain medicines round the clock. Finally I got to go home. Third time I received a scratch on my right shin. Two days later I had staph infection. I had oral and ointment antibiotics. But I was wise, finally, I went to the doctor as soon as it developed heat and started oozing. Lo and behold, I am heading to the doctor this afternoon. My dog got me with her tooth when I was starting her IV fluids. Yep, right on my ring finger on right hand. I have been on oral and ointment antibiotics since it happened, but it is starting to get worse. I'm beginning to think some people are more prone to staph infection and MRSA than others and I must be one. I'm a clean person with clean surroundings and a healthy lifestyle.

Comment from: chapril, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I have external hemorrhoids. Not sure if I have internal ones. Lately when I shower and use hot water to wash the soap away I bleed really badly. That is the only time. The hemorrhoids shrink but do not go away. I am getting concerned because the amount of blood is staggering. I never have any pain, itching, etc., just the swollen hemorrhoids and the bleeding. I have to stand in the shower until finally I take a towel and cover the area so I can rinse down the shower and get out of it to dry. I am on Plavix so that may be the excess, but boy, it is getting scary. I am going to call my gastroenterologist on Monday.

Comment from: suew, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 06

My partner of 24 years and father of my 2 kids contracted the hepatitis C virus after a car accident when he was 21 years of age and given a blood transfusion which was tainted. He was given 20 years to live with the hepatitis C virus. It is now 24 years later and he has chronic liver disease. Since September last year he kept getting fluid in his lower legs and a bloated stomach. He drank a lot since he had injured his shoulder in February last year and had not been able to work at all. Enter February 2016 where he was rushed to hospital with fluid on his stomach at a dangerous level and variances in his esophagus (one still needs to be removed in case it ruptures and he bleeds to death). No cancer so far which is fantastic but there has been lots of fogginess, tiredness, and sleeping for 2 hour periods. He has not touched a drop of alcohol for 4 months now. He has been in hospital at least every 2 weeks having taps to drain the fluid and lately having abdomen pains which ends in him not being able to use his bladder or bowel properly. He is going to start antibiotics on Friday to clear this up and hopefully he will not get fluid retention as much. He takes fluid tablets, multivitamins, Harvoni (which is a new hepatitis C medicine) which I hope works and will help with some of his liver functions. He also has other tablets too and I think now is on about 7 altogether. Tonight at the specialists they said that he might have 10 years if he is lucky without a liver transplant, but then with transplants there is still the worry of side effects and rejection. I am hoping that once the medications are worked out properly which seem to change every time his body brings up a new problem that he can lead a fairly good life. I wonder if anyone else who cares for someone going through this, experiences anger from them. My partner told me to leave him, that I am lazy, and don't care for him properly. He seems to get very frustrated at the slightest thing and I have a feeling that it is the illness. Some days are really hard when you love someone going through this sort of thing. I hope that everyone on here can get some sort of life they can live happily with.

Comment from: kayrakaye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis after eliminating other types of hepatitis that could cause the liver cirrhosis. I had a liver biopsy that had to be reviewed by a specialist after the first lab wasn't able to definitively confirm AIH.

Comment from: 2 years sober, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I drank beer since age sixteen. I was drinking four 40 oz. cans a day easy. I got cirrhosis at age 40. This ruined my life but 2 years I've been clean. Also I quit smoking cigarettes. I still feel bad every day I wish we knew more, for this alcohol is no joke. I kicked a bad methamphetamine habit easier than alcohol.

Comment from: kelly2001, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

I have been with my fiance/husband/boyfriend for 10 plus years now. He began drinking at a very early age; when he was 14. A couple of years ago, he went into the hospital and was told he was borderline cirrhosis. He would drink pints of vodka, daily. After that hospital visit, he did not touch vodka again but did continue to drink beer, Lime-A-Rita and wine and would sneak small bottles of Fireball whiskey (I found stashes of them in lots of places). A few months ago, I could not take anymore. He was not himself anymore, could not remember things and would have the most off sleeping schedules. He could not hold a job. He had an ulcer on his foot that constantly bled and would not heal. He lost all his muscle and was pretty much skeletal with a huge stomach due to ascites. His eyes were so yellow as well as his skin. He was on the verge of death. I made him go to the emergency room (ER). I was at my wits' end. He was admitted and was there for a week. He was given lactulose to bring his ammonia levels down. He had hepatic encephalopathy (HE). Three liters of fluid was removed. He was diagnosed with cirrhosis, a mass on his liver, and his platelet count was so low they had to give him blood, plasma and platelets just to be able to do the endoscopy to see if he had varices in his esophagus (which, thankfully, he did not but he did have 3 ulcers). His bloodwork was of a 55 year old man, not a 35 year old. His is still unable to work, but, is slowly getting better. His doctor told him that if he drinks anymore, he will die. But, if he does not drink anymore, then he has a good chance at a semi normal life. Also, if the need for a transplant does arrive, then he has to be alcohol free for at least 6 months to a year. He was warned many times to stop drinking, had even went to a rehabilitation at one time, but he did not, and now it has pretty much taken his life. It is a daily uphill battle for him now.

Comment from: hazydays44, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis 2 years ago. I have cirrhosis from being morbidly obese. I never drank alcohol.

Comment from: Bubbles, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 10

I believe my husband has a liver disorder and I cannot get this intelligent man to seek help. He is 55 years old and had used street drugs from the age of 12 until he was 25. He drank heavily which seemed to increase through the years and a usual night was 12 beers, a pint of rum and Jagerbombs. He has worked for the same man for 35 years but has recently been demoted so I suspect his brain function is impaired. He had testicular cancer in 2001 and shortly before that he had back surgery where he was given hydrocodone. He has abused that drug to the tune of $20k a year since and now his urine is dark. Am I on the right path thinking he has damaged his liver?

Comment from: slowtowalk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

Hepatitis C was the cause of cirrhosis of the liver; 30 years now. I'm undetected, but the toll on the liver has increased. I guess I'm lucky I had 30 years.

Comment from: dorothy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis, 6 months ago. Alcohol caused it. At that time my life was messed up and I started to drink. For years this was my daily routine. I am Stage 4.

Comment from: nottogood, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

My husband cirrhosis of the liver was alcohol. He started by losing large masses of muscles. Then weight loss. Falls were frequent. He had to start using a cane because of poor mobility. He now has ascites, edema in his legs, slurred speech. He has no tolerance for cold drinks and can only eat small amounts of food. His legs and feet have turned red like a sunburn. He has frequent bowel movements. In general his health is very poor.

Comment from: Brian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I was diagnosed at age 40. I was a heavy drinker. I have hemochromatosis and had hepatitis C, which was cured thanks to interferon. I am now 53 don't drink anymore. I do the blood-letting for hemochromatosis and get ultrasounds every six months. Everything right now is good.

Comment from: drjudy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

This is probably the most unusual case you ever read. I had Steven's Johnson syndrome as a result of the antibiotic Ceftin. All my hair fell out and my scalp became colonized with impetigo (Staph). I am a physician and was a hospital pathologist at that time. I used a strong solution of Minoxodil and Retin-A (Tretinoin) to regrow my hair. Big mistake, the Tretinoin got systemically absorbed and caused a type of liver cirrhosis that looks like vitamin a induced cirrhosis on the labs and under the microscope.

Comment from: VSelo, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My mother had about 6-8 drinks daily (at least). She started by having frequent falls, fatty liver and then within days she was dead of liver failure. It's no laughing matter, but to get an alcoholic to stop drinking is hard. Take this very seriously folks.

Comment from: Amy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. I have never been a drinker. I am suffering with abdominal pain and swelling, problems sleeping, and I am starting to get dizziness and confusion. I do not have any insurance and am unable to get treatment if there is any.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My dad is 54 years old and he was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. He found out when my mom and him where still together that was about 10 years ago. I am just now getting to know my father. He also has hepatitis C from doing drugs in the past. What is my concern is what can happen to him because he doesn't take care of himself like he's supposed to. He doesn't drink anymore, but smokes and he has emphysema and COPD and the doctors have told him to slow down on smoking but he will go through at least a few cartons a month.

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with NASH, non-alcoholic cirrhosis 2.5 years ago when I woke up vomiting blood and not very coherent. I was rushed to the Emergency room by my husband and daughter, I had 6 Pints of blood put in me and a TIPS / stent was placed in my varices to keep me from having another episode. I go to a Liver Clinic every 6 months for MRIs and Blood work, I was sent by my Gastro for a Liver Transplant, but so far my MELD blood work is at 8, so it has remained stable and I don't need one now.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Male Published: June 05

My boyfriend of ten years just found out he has cirrhosis of the liver. He fell down a flight of stairs headfirst and had to be taken to the hospital. After an MRI and a cat scan of his body, it showed the cirrhosis of the liver. He is a good eight drinks a night person. Mostly alcohol in mixed drinks than anything else. He won't admit to being an alcoholic even now, he laughs at what the doctor told him. He feels he can control the drinking and he will for a few days and then he feels he's been good and deserves a drink and then he's back to it every night.

Comment from: Samantha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My Cirrhosis is causes from my heart problems so they call it medical cirrhosis of the liver. Do to the back pressure of the blood from the heart. Which mine cannot be fixed as easy I would have to get a heart transplant and the liver as well and that is not happening any time soon I am only 29 years. old and now having to deal with this since birth a lot of people call me a fighter and don't know how I do it every day!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter