Cirrhosis of the liver refers to a disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue caused by alcohol and viral hepatitis B and C. This disease leads to abnormalities in the liver's ability to handle toxins and blood flow, causing:
- internal bleeding,
- kidney failure,
- mental confusion,
- body fluid accumulation, and
- frequent infections.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
Hepatitis C, Hep B, Hep A: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
What is hepatitis? Hepatitis A, B, and C spread in different ways, causing mild to serious effects on the liver. Learn about...
Alcohol Abuse: 12 Health Risks of Chronic Heavy Drinking
Read about the health risks of chronic heavy or binge drinking. Anemia, cancer, gout, cardiovascular disease and many more...
Liver Disease Quiz: Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis & Symptoms
What is liver disease? Take the Liver Disease Quiz and test your knowledge about this organ and its function....
Picture of Liver
Front View of the Liver. The liver is a large, meaty organ that sits on the right side of the belly. See a picture of the Liver...
Hepatitis in Pictures: What Puts You at Risk?
See how Hepatitis types A, B and C are trasmitted through issues such as poor hygiene, contamination, sexual contact and more....
Related Disease Conditions
Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, and Treatment)
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...
Bilirubin (Bilirubin Test)
Bilirubin is a waste product of the normal breakdown of red blood cells in the liver. Normal bilirubin levels vary from lab to...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Edema is the swelling of tissues as a result of excess water accumulation. Peripheral edema occurs in the feet and legs. There...
Pleural effusion is a buildup of fluid in the chest or on the lungs. There are two types of pleural effusion, trandsudate and...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly)
An enlarged spleen or splenomegaly is generally caused by other diseases or conditions such as infections, cancers, blood...
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Hereditary hemochromatosis (iron overload) is an inherited disorder in which there is excessive accumulation of iron in the body....
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium)
Hyponatremia is a condition where the level of sodium in the blood is low. Causes of hyponatremia can occur from excess fluid in...
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
The hepatitis B virus (HBV, hep B) is a unique, coated DNA virus belonging to the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses. The course of...
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count)
Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) refers to a decreased number of platelets in the blood. Symptoms of thrombocytopenia...
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Jaundice (Hyperbilirubinemia in Adults)
Jaundice (hyperbilirubinemia) in adults may be caused by a variety of medical diseases or conditions. Some cases of jaundice can...
Hepatitis (Viral Hepatitis, A, B, C, D, E, G)
Hepatitis is most often viral, due to infection with one of the hepatitis viruses (A, B, C, D, E, F (not confirmed), and G) or...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Encephalopathy means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. Causes of encephalopathy are varied and numerous. The main symptom of...
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Drug-Induced Liver Disease
Drug-induced liver diseases are diseases of the liver that are caused by: physician-prescribed medications, OTC...
Bile Duct Cancer (Cholangiocarcinoma)
Bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma) is a rare type of cancer that arises from cells that line the drainage system from the...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Portal hypertension is most commonly caused by cirrhosis, a disease in which results from scarring of a liver injury. Other...
Male Breast Cancer
Male breast cancer accounts for 1% of all breast cancers, and most cases are found in men between the ages of 60 and 70. A man's...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC)
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBS) is a liver disease in which bile building up in the organ damages bile ducts. Ultimately, this...
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
Is Hepatitis B Contagious?
Hepatitis B is a type of liver infection. Hepatitis B is spread through person-to-person contact or through personal items like...
Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)
Primary sclerosing cholangitis or PSC is a disease of the liver. The cause of PSC is not known. Symptoms may include itching,...
Peritonitis is a bacterial infection inside of the abdomen. Some doctors choose to group the causes of peritonitis into five...
Hepatitis A and B Vaccinations
Hepatitis A and hepatitis B are the two most commnon viruses that infect the liver. Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B can be prevented...
Varices are dilated blood vessels usually in the esophagus or stomach. Symptoms of bleeding varices include vomiting blood, black...
Is Hepatitis C Contagious?
Hepatitis C or hep C causes acute and chronic liver disease. Hep C is a form of liver disease with symptoms like: fatigue,...
Choledochal cysts are cysts of the bile ducts. There are several different types of choledochal cysts. These cysts are...
Is Hepatitis Contagious?
Hepatitis means "inflammation of the liver," and there are several different types of such as A, B, C, D, and E. Some types of...
Hepatitis C Cure (Symptoms, Transmission, Treatments, and Cost)
Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver. There are a variety of toxins, diseases, illicit drugs, medications, bacterial and viral...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Treatment (PBC)
Primary biliary sclerosis (PBC) is thought to be an autoimmune disorder that involves the deterioration of the liver's small bile...
Hospice is a service that offers support, resources, and assistance to terminally ill patients and their families. In such late...
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms
The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?Post View 102 Comments
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Treatments
What treatments did you receive for cirrhosis of the liver?Post View 58 Comments
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Causes
What was the cause of your case of cirrhosis of the liver?Post View 38 Comments
Cirrhosis Of The Liver - Diagnosis
How was your case of cirrhosis diagnosed?Post View 8 Comments
Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience
Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.Post View 32 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Liver Blood Tests (Normal, Low, and High Ranges & Results
- CA 125
- Ferritin Blood Test
- Triglycerides (Tests and Lowering Your Triglyceride Levels)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Liver Biopsy
- Alpha-Fetoprotein Blood Test
- TIPS (Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt)
- Liver Resection
- Liver Transplant
- Liver Disease FAQs
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Digestive Disease Myths
- Biopsy: Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before a Biopsy
- Smoking With Liver Disease - A No-No
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
- Chronic Viral Hepatitis, Alcoholism, Cirrhosis Linked to Liver Cancer
- Iron Overload -- Hemochromatosis
Medications & Supplements
- Aldactone (spironolactone)
- furosemide (Lasix)
- Thiazides (Diuretics)
- hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide, Hydrodiuril, Ezide, and Hydro-Par have been discontinued)
- triamterene and hydrochlorothiazide
- colestipol (Colestid)
- torsemide (Demadex)
- lactulose (Constulose, Enulose, Generlac, Cholac, Constilac)
- vitamin k - oral, Mephyton
- cholestyramine, Questran, Questran Light
- mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept)
- vitamin K-1, phytonadione (Mephyton)
- Artemisia absinthium (Wormwood)
- bumetanide, Bumex (discontinued brand)
- Epclusa (sofosbuvir and velpatasvir)
- Harvoni (ledipasvir and sofosbuvir)
- Viekira Pak (ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir, and dasabuvir)
- boceprevir (Victrelis)
- telaprevir (Incivek)
- Technivie (ombitasvir, paritaprevir and ritonavir)
Prevention & Wellness
- Mavyret Approved for Hepatitis C
- Researchers Grow Functioning Liver Tissue in Mice
- Can Coffee, Tea Protect the Liver From 'Western' Diet?
- Cirrhosis Could Raise Stroke Risk
- New Hepatitis C Treatments More Effective, Tolerable: FDA
- Hepatitis Infection May Raise Risk for Parkinson's Disease
- Better Efforts Could Help Rid the U.S. of Hepatitis B, C: Report
- Obesity in Youth Tied to Higher Odds for Liver Cancer in Men
- Baby Boomers Get an 'F' for Hep C Testing
- U.S. Vaccine Guidelines for Flu, HPV Updated
- Even One High-Fat Meal Can Harm Your Liver, Study Finds
- Where You Live May Determine How You Die
- More Than Half of Americans Have Chronic Health Problem: Study
- Would Weaker Beer Help Reduce Alcohol's Harms?
- Teen Obesity May Mean Liver Disease Later
- Ocaliva Approved for Rare Liver Disease
- Hepatitis C Patients More Likely to Drink, Study Finds
- Generic Hepatitis C Drugs as Effective as Pricey Brand Names: Study
- Should You Stop Drinking?
- Pricey Hepatitis C Drugs Denied to Almost Half of Medicaid Patients: Study
- Illnesses, Deaths Spur FDA Warning on Hepatitis C Drugs
- Tough Alcohol Policies Linked to Lower Death Rates From Liver Damage
- Liver Damage From Hepatitis C More Widespread Than Thought
- Experimental Drug Combo Shows Promise Against Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Drugs Will 'Strain Budgets' at Current Prices: Study
- Hispanics May Develop Alcoholic Liver Disease Earlier
- New MRI Test May Help Diagnose Liver Condition in Kids
- Daily Drinking May Raise Risk of Liver Cirrhosis, Study Warns
- Many With Hepatitis C Missing Out on Treatment, Study Finds
- Drug Regimen Cures Hepatitis C in Most Liver Transplant Patients in Study
- Pricey Hepatitis Drug a Good Bet in U.S. Prisons, Study Says
- Even Decaf Coffee May Help the Liver
- Hepatitis C Combo Pill May Cure Those Who Can Afford It
- Hepatitis C Could Become Rare Disease in 20 Years: Study
- Daughters Drink More Than Their Moms Did -- in Australia, at Least
- Task Force Recommends Hep B Screening for High-Risk People
- Screening May Help Boost Liver Cancer Survival Rates
- FAQ: The High Cost of Hepatitis C Drugs
- Cure Rate for Experimental Hepatitis C Drug Tops 95 Percent
- Could Coffee Lower Death Risk From Liver Cirrhosis?
- Neanderthal DNA Influences Modern Humans: Study
- James Bond's Dirty Little Spy Secret: He's an Alcoholic
- FDA Approves New Treatment for Hepatitis C Infection
- Study Finds Too Few With Hepatitis C Start or Stick With Treatment
- Study: Coffee Might Lower Risk of Liver Cancer
- Hepatitis B Vaccination Cuts Deaths From Liver Disease, Cancer: Study
- More Drugs Show Promise in Fighting Hepatitis C
- Too Much Drinking, Weight May Harm Liver
- One Man's Harrowing Battle With Hepatitis C
- Antiviral Therapy May Cut Recurrence of Hepatitis B-Linked Liver Cancer
- Antiviral Therapy for Hepatitis C May Thwart Liver Cancer
- Death Rates Drop for 5 Top Causes of Death
- Follow-Up Lacking for Babies After Hepatitis B Vaccination: CDC
- CDC: All Baby Boomers Should Get Screened for Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Treatment May Hamper Kids' Growth
- Vitamin B12 May Boost Hep C Treatment
- Milk Thistle Doesn't Help Hepatitis C
- Screening for Other Health Problems May Aid COPD Survival
- Hepatitis C Now Kills More Americans Than HIV
- Statins May Stave Off Liver Cancer in People With Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis B Vaccine Recommended for Adults With Diabetes
- Curry Spice Offers Hope for Tendinitis Pain
- 'Explosion' of Sex-Spread Hepatitis C in HIV-Positive Men
- FDA Panel Backs 2 Hepatitis C Drugs
- FDA Panel Urges Approval of Hepatitis C Drug
- Hepatitis C Infection Rates Are Stable
- Experimental Drug May Treat Hepatitis C
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter