Patient Comments: Chronic Pain - Diagnosis

How was your chronic pain diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Pamela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

My chronic pain started in 2004. Pain started in lower back and left leg. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, nerve damage, muscle spasms, anxiety and insomnia. In 2010 I got full disability. I had 2 surgeries. In 2011 I went to a pain management doctor, was told anxiety was in my head, did nerve block and steroid shots (all I"ve had done before, I told him that). By end of year he took me off all medicines (Lortab, Soma, Zanax, Ambien and Zanaflex). The reason I was given I was too young to be on medicine.

Comment from: wilne tucker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My chronic pain was diagnosed many years ago after I had a car accident several. I have been on almost every pain medication and nothing seems to help. I have a spinal cord stimulator implanted in my lower spine. It helps.

Comment from: IamLove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had many, many examinations over the years due to my chronic pain. I have had several EMGs on my arms. I have had my grip strength checked tons of times. I have had wrist X-rays three times. I recently had an MRI on my neck (where I do have degenerative disc disease, cervical stenosis, and bulging discs, but not much pain), which my current doctor thought was probably causing my bilateral arm pain. For so long it was diagnosed as tendonitis, but the neurologist I saw on Monday said that I have carpal tunnel syndrome due to hands-on tests and the results from my fourth EMG. It has been a long 18 years of chronic pain to discover this.

Comment from: DMC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I am continually and constantly bothered by severe migraines, neck and back pain. Nothing I take seems to put any full relief. It makes it somewhat tolerable to do daily activities. Now in 2011 I have had a problem with my left hand being half numb my ring finger and little finger down half my palm. I was told it had to do with my neck. I haven't had tests done yet due to no insurance and unemployment.

Comment from: cowboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

My pain started gradually with my feet, and within a year l was in a wheelchair with severe pain in all my muscles, joints, and bones -- save my neck and head. I still have no definitive diagnosis after three years. It gets worse as time passes.

Comment from: paolipugs, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I have been dealing with back pain for 20 years. I have had three back surgeries, the last one I had was a 360 if you know back pain you will know what I mean. Everyone believes we just want the medications to get high. I don't know about you but the pills don't get me high. It just makes me feel a little normal.

Surprising Reasons You're in Pain Slideshow Pictures