Patient Comments: Chronic Pain - Marijuana and Pain

Do you use marijuana to manage chronic pain? Please discuss your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Max, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I use marijuana for chronic pain (spasm in sphincter of Oddi) that varies from 0 to kidney stone level. Marijuana works, period. Eaten, smoked, vapor, tincture, all work with different delays between taking and pain relief. It leaves no hangover. I do not want or crave it the way one does opiates. One codeine and I want more. One does of marijuana and the pain tamps down and I'm content to read or make music. Dosing is simple because there is no risk of overdose (0 overdose deaths in US last year), so one titers the dose to tonight's pain and goes to restful sleep. I predict controlled research will validate what I say. Let's do the research on it.

Comment from: BettyAnzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I tried several strains of marijuana to attempt to treat my pain. Unfortunately, it was not helpful for me, actually making my chronic back pain worse. I use time-release morphine and oxycodone for breakthrough pain. I have seen marijuana be very helpful for others, it is disappointing not to find relief from a more natural medication. It is certainly worth a try for anyone who is suffering.

Comment from: catwoman, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have been using marijuana for over 50 years to get high. Only recently have I used it for the chronic pain of bursitis/arthritis. It is the only thing that works for me without side effects. I am allergic to a lot of the strong pain killers and the others either make me have nightmares or edema. In the state that I live in, they have just voted not to have medical marijuana so I don't always get what I want. I live with pain most of the time.

Comment from: Riseabove, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I got my license for marijuana and tried different varieties, but I could never make it work without gaining weight or being wasted. I went back to narcotics, since I know the dose I'm taking and I have less appetite.

Comment from: Patrick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I'm a legal patient and caregiver. I've found if I can get the medicine in me I can manage without hurting my back. It does a great job on many types of pain, mostly body pain. If it's eaten it works slower but lasts longer, both are a great way to attack pain in many natural ways.

Comment from: Benkaldwurse, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

Smoking a doobie sounds better to me than the rehabilitation and tests I'm going through. I'm all for anything that works. Chronic pain sucks.

Comment from: Freezing64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been using marijuana for several years now. I have MS, acromegaly, severe migraine s, depression, and back pain (due to a crack in my lower back). I am also being tested for other chronic diseases. I was prescribed fentanyl patches. It did not help with the pain and, in fact, almost killed me. I can't understand why doctors are so terrified to sign the Health Canada application. I have asked my GP, my endocrinologist, and my MS neurologist. I believe I have finally found a doctor who specializes in chronic pain, but he is two hours away from me. I hope that I will finally have a license to legally possess marijuana. I feel it is far safer than all of the prescribed narcotics. It really should not be so difficult to find a doctor who is willing to help.

Surprising Reasons You're in Pain Slideshow Pictures