Patient Comments: Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: JohnnyC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet due to diabetes II. I have had shooting pain, burning, numbness and every step that I take hurts like hell. I have been living with this for 8 plus years and every single day of my life is nothing but pain. I tried Neurontin, Lyrica, Ultram, and Oxycontin (which worked well but too addictive) and now I am on methadone 200 mg a day. No high and takes the edge off but that's it. Doctors nowadays are paranoid to give out any type of narcotic because of the FDA.

Comment from: Long Term Patient, (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been on methadone for 21 years. I have been successfully treated. It works only when you follow your treatment plan given by your doctor! Be truthful with your doctor and know that chronic pain cannot be treated with methadone alone. Physical and psychological measures must be addressed. Remember that you have to be open to all avenues given by your doctor, follow the plan.

Comment from: cherylE, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I have been in and out of sports doctors since I was 10 for 'growing pains' in my knees (now 23). Two and a half years ago surgeon discovered my kneecap was too high and did a reconstruction. Since then I have had medial stabbing pains in my left knee. I'm on fentanyl patch, gabapentin, Celebrex, Panadeine Forte, and a TCA (tricyclic antidepressant). Pain specialist is going to do a nerve block, which will hopefully help, as the drugs improve my pain a little but I think they have more side effects than pain relief effects!

Comment from: Kimberly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have had chronic myofascial pain and neuropathic pain for six years. I took anti-seizure drugs to help with the pain in the nerves and had weekly trigger point injections for years. In addition, I was taking Tylenol 3s, and Celebrex to try to control the pain. Nothing has worked as well as Lyrica. Now, instead of 2,800 mg of Neurontin, I take 225 mg of Lyrica. I have dropped the Celebrex and take Tylenol 3s rarely! Lyrica has changed my life, and after six years, I am finally ready to get back to work and living!

Comment from: Nurse1973, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had a back injury 5 years ago. I have multiple back issues and horrible chronic pain. I take Exalgo 32 mg ER (extended release) and Dilaudid twice day. I also have roxycontin, methadone, Soma, and Lyrica. I also have a spinal nerve implant for the pain. I am so depressed dealing with this chronic pain. Being a nurse, I know there are people out there that must be in worse pain than I. How do you deal with the pain!

Comment from: SASSY467, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have chronic pain with scleroderma and fibromyalgia, my discs are deteriorating and dehydrating, and I have an annular tear. I had a 15x27x13 tumor removed thought that was the cause of my lower back pain, but it wasn't.

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I was crushed and ran over by a drunk driver in 2007 and left with 64 broken bones as well as a crushed pelvic bone. I am not paralyzed and I want to walk again, but the problem is, I have chronic pain daily; deep pain and it is not the kind of pain that goes away. I can't do my physical therapy without my pain medications. Recently my doctor has taken them from me and I was almost to the top and now I'm falling backwards again. I don't understand why any doctor would do this to me. I want to walk again. I was taking 4 tablets of 60 mg OxyContin a day and the breakthrough was four 8 mg hydromorphone and the doctor now only gave me 2 tablets of 20 mg Oxycontin a day and one 4 mg hydromorphone 3 times a day. You think this is a lot but it is not, after suffering such trauma and daily chronic pain. I will never make it now. My doctor told me I will have to take a strong pain medicine the rest of my life.

Comment from: mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was once an athlete, and had my first injury (knee) at 16. I have had chronic pain since then, now I'm 52. I have had 12 knee surgeries, 2 in the back. I have arthritis in areas. Then I have had chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) with fibromyalgia, since 2001. I have been on 30 mg morphine sulfate BID, 5 mg oxycodone up to 30 mg/day, and 2 mg hydromorphone up to 4 mg/night. I am taking baclofen (helps for sleep in my CFS), trazodone, and ranitidine.

Comment from: Jeannie66, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had multiple epidural's, routine injection therapy, a decompression procedure and medication for herniations in discs C-4, C-5, and C-6. To date, all procedures have only helped for a short period of time. The only thing that has stayed consistent in controlling the pain is the medication; Vicodin is taken three times a day for the last 3-4 years. Just recently, my doctor thought that I was taking too much medicine and cut the dosage down to twice daily. It doesn't seem to be doing the job quite as well.

Comment from: In chronic pain, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had surgery on my back, and now only a partial disc with several deteriorated lumbar discs. You can hear the bones clicking. Since 1999, I have been put on opioids for pain management. First as Tilidin in Germany, and since relocating to the United States for a new position in 2005, the doctors here have been prescribing methadone. Depending on the pain level, the dosage I need to function is between 100 mg and 200 mg per day. As a long-term user there is no high: All it does is take away some of the pain. On bad days, even a full dose is not enough to enable me to function normally.

Comment from: Terri P., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have spent the last 12 years on pain medication. I have a neck fusion: C4 thru C7. I have lower back pain, scoliosis below my fusion, and bad knees. I have tried a lot of different pain medications and am still taking some. However, about two weeks ago, I found out about Norwegian Cod Liver Oil. I started taking two tablespoons a day, and I'm now taking one to two fewer pain pills a day. It is my understanding that it takes several months to get the best effect, and I can't wait! They sell it at most drug stores for less than $8 a bottle.

Comment from: psspurgeon1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have sacroiliitis and have had it for 2.5 years. I have had around 12 shots over the last two years for it. Part of them were just a regular Cortizone type injection, some were into my hip joint for bursitis and the rest were put into my ball and socket with ultrasound guidance. Not one single procedure has helped. I have begged for surgery but my condition does not warrant surgery nor would it benefit from it according to several doctors. I have two small children to take care of on a daily basis as I am a stay at home mom and it is so hard to get through the day sometimes. What I am using right now is a combination of somewhat scary narcotics and it controls it enough for me to function to care for my children. I don't know what the future holds for me as I am sure I will become intolerant to the Avinza (which is a time release morphine) and the Norco, but for now it is all I can do. I have also considered a spinal block but my doctor doesn't agree so I seem to have run out of options.

Comment from: Acugirl10, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

Approximately, 6 weeks ago I had a second epidural for low back pain. I had it under fluoroscopy, with a current MRI next to the screen so the radiologist would be more exact. He accidently hit a nerve, and the pain now is excruciating, the left leg is partially numb, around the medial knee area, and I don't know if is going to dissipate any-time soon. What are the chances of this happening? The nerve studies, and EMG, concluded the reason, and my pain is a thousand times worse than why I initially agreed to get them. I hold no grudges, and realize that there are side effects from anything, and everything. However, they now want me to get a sympathetic, ganglion nerve block. I am not interested in any more blocks. What are my choices, other than drugs, to move this along? Is there a chance it will be permanent? It feels like my L quad and knee are going to explode, like the pain I felt after and during a discogram, which was quite nasty.

Published: July 29

I have lived with a bad back for some time, approximately 2 years. I was told that I had degenerate discs and this was where the pain was radiating from, recently I had 2 MRI's, 1 for my neck and 1 for my lower back. My lower back results advised that the discs were continuing to reduce but my neck MRI showed I have a bulging disc. I have undertaken many courses to help with the Chronic Pain ie Back Pain. I took a 12 wk course, in Physiotherapy to no avail. I am now waiting to start hydrotherapy which the physiotherapist advised will not be a long term fix but should allow me to function a little better. Everyone is different, so although I have not had any success from the procedures I have tried they may be beneficial to others. I am attending a Chronic Pain consultant and we are trying everything possible, so hopefully in the near future I may be pain free and start to live life again.

Comment from: Katewest, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have Ehlers–Danlos syndrome (EDS), in which I lack collagen throughout my body, which results in chronic pain in the bones, tendons and ligaments. These meds are the only ones proven to help me function. I have been on Neurontin; however, one definitely needs breakthrough pain pills with this! I've tried injections before, but they are only a temporary solution. I'm not promoting narcotics, but for some it's the only solution. I am going to try Suboxone as a replacement for morphine sulfate. I am wondering how Suboxone will work as a replacement.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have found that myofascial release with massage to be the best pain reliever of all for my symptoms, which are severe in my neck at the base of my skull. My Pilates instructor, who also does myofascial release and massage, has been my life-saver.

Comment from: tootspatoots, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I've got some lower lumbar degenerated discs, four to be exact. I just found out that I'm lacking some blood flow to my left leg. I'm constantly in uncomfortable pain, whether it be sitting or standing. My doctor has me on 5 mg of oxycodone, four pills daily. My mother has this thought in her head that this is addicting, but I feel that low a dosage for pain alleviation isn't a problem. I've had acupuncture, massage therapy, physical therapy, and vitamins, and nothing seems to help as well as the oxycodone. I will be moving soon, and the pain management waiting list up here in my state (NY) is eight months.

Comment from: Political prisoner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I have used about everything for pain, including massage, gadgets and machines pulling me and rolling me, chiropractic adjustments and about all of the narcotics. One thing that I feel would be helpful, if you can find a doctor that isn't so paranoid that he is afraid to give you aspirin, is using narcotics and switching them. Personally, I know that I am going to have days that I just have to live with it and take nothing. I am 60, and I either want to be treated with dignity, or be given the treatment people give their pets when they put them to sleep!

Comment from: Gail, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have several autoimmune diseases and have suffered chronic pain for the last eight years. Primarily my chronic pain is low back and hip pain - sciatica, fibromyalgia and lumbar and sacral disk pain including the sacroiliac joint. I've tried many pain management options. Facet joint injections gave little or no relief, Versatis (lidocaine patch) also gave little relief. Currently I'm on 20mg Oxycontin BD, 75mg Lyrica TDS and Mobic 7.5mg BD. At the moment this combination is working, but I don't want to stay on this amount of medication for a long time, and am also aware that the longer I remain on these medications, the more tolerant of them I will become and therefore that a higher dose will be required to maintain a pain management level.

Comment from: William , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I have chronic pain, and I've been taking pain medications for three years. I take Morphine and use Fentanyl patches. My pain is in my lower back and is inoperable. It's been getting worse, too.

Comment from: Transcripter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Topamax and Lunesta at bedtime have helped with my chronic nerve pain from a tarsal tunnel procedure.

Comment from: sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I am 44yrs old. I was involved in a motor vehicle accident 2yrs ago. Suffered herniated disc in my neck and back, also TMJ. Have been in pain ever since. Using Lyrica for pain, but it makes me dizzy. My life has been altered dramatically. I am using a cane for support because my back hurts severely when I put too much pressure on the left leg. I have not been able to work since. I experience neck, shoulder, back, hip, groin, leg, and knee pain. Both shoulders burn. I also get tingling in my neck, arm, and leg. All this because I was rear ended.

Comment from: dave, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Vicodin ES has helped me with back pain 1 year after having surgery to my back. Vicodin works well on pain where everything else fails. I have been taking Vicodin ES for 2 and a half years and I have no side affects or problems caused by it. I can be addictive so it's important for whoever is getting Vicodin to be responsible for making their meds last to their refill date.

Comment from: ron E, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I have been to various pain management centers. The doctors that were needle happy by the steroid shots in the back, and the ones that just gave you more drugs that you could handle. I've found success with a family doctor who gave me, and monitors the amount of, methadone. It has worked for me for years now when morphine didn't. The only thing I got from morphine was increases in dosages when it didn't work as well as it was supposed to.

Comment from: Sherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have suffered chronic pain in neck, back, muscles and joints along with migraines since the birth of my only child 15 years ago. After years of numerous doctors, medications, blocks, etc. What has helped me most is Lexapro, Neurontin & massage. Lexapro cut pain 75% alone. This was prescribed by neurologist for pain and not depression. It has been the best treatment for me so far.

Comment from: james, 55-64 Male Published: February 18

6 weeks ago I had surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis, but I am still having severe burning in my legs and feet when I am in bed at night. Will this improve through time? I am still taking a lot of medication which does not help.

Comment from: Helen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have neuropathic pain in the legs mainly. I have had surgery for removal of all the lymph nodes in the groin and a perfusion of chemotherapy 20 years ago. My last recurrence of cancer in the leg was 10 years ago. I would advise someone finding themselves in the same position with severe chronic pain to get expert help, which they need. I would also recommend joining a pain community. Get the best possible help from a consultant doctor in pain management.

Comment from: cckmbuster, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

The only thing that has helped my chronic pain was taking a muscle relaxer and Vicodin.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter