Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to acute pain that arises suddenly in response to a specific injury and is usually treatable, chronic pain persists over time and is often resistant to medical treatments. Read more: Chronic Pain Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Fibromyalgia
A syndrome characterized by chronic pain, stiffness, and tenderness of muscles, tendons, and joints without detectable...
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Gout Attack Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Diet
Gout attacks (gouty arthritis) are caused by crystals of uric acid deposits. Learn about symptoms, causes, treatments and...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Symptoms & Treatment
What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)? Learn about juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Discover rheumatoid arthritis (RA) symptoms,...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Exercises Slideshow: Joint-Friendly Fitness Routines
Regular exercise boosts fitness and helps reverse joint stiffness for people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Our experts offer...
12 Surprising Headache Triggers Tips
Painful headaches can ruin your productivity and quality of life. But what triggers headaches and migraines? Learn some...
Back Pain: Find Relief, Treat Your Back Pain
Back pain conditions are very common. Learn the truth and get the facts behind myths, remedies, causes and treatment for back...
Addicted to Pills: The Health Risks of Drug Abuse
What is drug abuse? Learn about prescription drug abuse and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, including depressants, pain relievers,...
Nerve Pain: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment Options
Learn about nerve pain symptoms, causes, and treatment options. Discover medications, treatments, and natural remedies that can...
Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis and Joint Pain
Learn about osteoarthritis and exercises that relieve knee osteoarthritis pain, stiffness and strengthen the knee joint and...
Osteoarthritis (OA): Treatment, Symptoms, Diagnosis
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disease affecting both cartilage and bone. Joints most often affected by...
Pain Management: Surprising Causes of Pain
What’s causing your pain? Learn the common causes of lower back pain, as well as pain in the knee, stomach, kidney, shoulder,...
Migraine or Headache? Migraine Symptoms, Triggers, Treatment
What does a migraine feel like? Discover the difference between headaches and migraines. Learn to spot migraine symptoms early,...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how to overcome common health conditions affecting those over 50 such as...
Low Back Pain: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Relief
Do you suffer from low back pain? Watch this slideshow to see common triggers of lower back pain and what kind of treatments you...
Chronic Pain Syndrome: Treatment and Management for CPS
What is chronic pain syndrome (CPS)? See causes, symptoms and treatment options including medications. Learn about pain...
Pain Management: 15 Easy Ways to Reduce Chronic Pain
Chronic pain can be a symptom of many conditions, including arthritis, headaches, and others. Comprehensive pain management...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Related Disease Conditions
Ankle pain is commonly due to a sprain or tendinitis. The severity of ankle sprains ranges from mild (which can resolve within...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Bursitis of the hip results when the fluid-filled sac (bursa) near the hip becomes inflamed due to localized soft tissue trauma...
Bursitis of the knee results when any of the three fluid-filled sacs (bursae) become inflamed due to injury or strain. Symptoms...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Crohn's Disease (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease, primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can affect...
Elbow pain is most often the result of tendinitis, which can affect the inner or outer elbow. Treatment includes ice, rest, and...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Gout (Gouty Arthritis)
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating,...
Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee...
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy
Multiple sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disorder in which brain and spinal cord nerve cells become demyelinated. This damage...
Peripheral Neuropathy (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment Medications)
Peripheral neuropathy is a problem with the functioning of the nerves outside of the spinal cord. Symptoms may include numbness,...
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Also...
Psoriatic arthritis is a disease that causes skin and joint inflammation. Symptoms include painful, stiff, and swollen joints,...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
The common bunion, an enlargement of the inner portion of the joint at the base of the big toe, primarily affects women. The...
Trigger Finger (Stenosing Tenosynovitis)
Trigger finger (stenosing tenosynovitis) is a condition in which a finger tries to snap closed while gripping. This painful...
A frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) is when the shoulder joint experiences a significant loss in its range of motion due to...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome is a disorder that causes symptoms like pain, clicking, and popping of the jaw. TMJ is...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica
Degenerative disc disease makes the disc more susceptible to herniation (rupture) which can lead to localized or radiating pain....
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
Menstrual cramps (pain in the belly and pelvic area) are experienced by women as a result of menses. Menstrual cramps are not the...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)
The inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). The intestinal complications of...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Whiplash is a common injury to a person's neck following a car accident (in most cases). Symptoms include: headache, neck...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Pain Management: Musculoskeletal Pain
Natural menopause is the permanent ending of menstruation that is not brought on by any type of medical treatment. For women...
Pain that originates in the face is referred to as trigeminal neuralgia. This pain may be caused by: an injury, an infection...
Neuropathic pain is a chronic condition that leads to ongoing pain symptoms. Patients can be predisposed to developing...
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been...
The cornea is the clear outer layer of the eye. If it is damaged by disease, infection, or injury, vision problems may occur....
Herpes Viral Infections of the Eye
Herpes of the eye occurs due to herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1). Symptoms of herpes of the eye include pain in and around the eye,...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
Lumbar stenosis can be caused by degenerative arthritis (the most common cause), tumor, infection, or metabolic disorders...
Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction (SI Joint Pain)
Sacroiliac joint (SI) dysfunction is a general term to reflect pain in the SI joints. Causes of SI joint pain include...
A pinched nerve causes pain, numbness, or tingling in the affected area due to pressure on a nerve. Caral tunnel and sciatica are...
Vulvodynia (Vaginal Pain)
Vulvodynia or vaginal pain, genital pain is a condition in which women have chronic vulvar pain with no known cause. There are...
The five types of spondylolisthesis include dysplastic, isthmic, degenerative, traumatic, and pathologic. The most common symptom...
Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS)
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is a condition that causes pain in the mouth. BMS may be caused by menopause, dry mouth or...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is a painful complication of shingles. Symptoms include severe pain, itchy skin, and possible...
Pain Management: Neuropathic Pain
Neuropathic pain is chronic pain resulting from injury to the nervous system. The injury can be to the central nervous system...
Shoulder and Neck Pain
Shoulder and neck pain may be caused by bursitis, a pinched nerve, whiplash, tendinitis, a herniated disc, or a rotator cuff...
Multiple Sclerosis Early Symptoms and Signs (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Occipital Neuralgia (Headache)
Occipital neuralgia is a type of headache that involves inflammation or irritation of occipital nerves. Signs and symptoms...
Medical Marijuana (Medical Cannabis)
Medical marijuana (medical cannabis) is a medicine that is plant based. There are two species of medical marijuana; 1) Cannabis...
Headache Natural Home Remedies
Headaches are a common complaint for many people. There are many types of headaches such as migraine, tension, cluster, and the...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Local ResourcesFind a local Pain Management Physician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Total Hip Replacement
- Joint Aspiration (Arthrocentesis)
- Cortisone Injection
- Nerve Conduction Velocity Test
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation
- Nerve Blocks
- Trigger Point Injection
- Spinal Fusion
- CT Scan vs. MRI (Differences between Machines, Costs, Uses)
- Tommy John Surgery (Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction)
- Headache: Questions To Ask Your Doctor About Headaches
- Pain and Stress: Endorphins: Natural Pain and Stress Fighters
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Pain Management Over-The-Counter
- Pain (Acute and Chronic)
- The Cox-2 Inhibitors Controversy: Q&A with Dr. Shiel
- Phantom Limb Pain: Mirror Therapy Treatment
- Doctors Answer Pain Questions
- Broken Bone Causes
- Migraine Symptoms
- Why Am I So Tired? The Many Causes of Fatigue
- Grapefruit Juice and Drug Interactions
- Herniated Disc - Epidural Cortisone Injections
- Stress: The Long-Term Effects
Medications & Supplements
- oxycodone controlled-release - oral, Oxycontin
- tramadol/acetaminophen - oral, Ultracet
- fentanyl - transdermal, Duragesic
- ketoprofen sustained-action capsule - oral, Oruvail
- celecoxib - oral, Celebrex
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- codeine (for Pain)
- misoprostol, Cytotec
- oxaprozin, Daypro
- sumatriptan, Imitrex, Alsuma, Imitrex STATdose System, Sumavel DosePro
- etodolac, Lodine (Discontinued)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- fenoprofen, Nalfon
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- ketoprofen (Discontinued brands: Nexcede, Orudis, Oruvail, Actron)
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- choline magnesium salicylate, Trilisate
- Tramadol: for Pain (Ultram, Ultram ER, Conzip)
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen, Vicodin, Vicodin ES, Vicodin HP, Anexsia, Lortab, Lorcet, Lorcet Plus, No
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- propoxyphene and acetaminophen, Darvocet A500; Darvocet-N, Wygesic
- propoxyphene, Darvon, Darvon-N, Dolene
- carisoprodol (Soma)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- fentanyl patch (Duragesic)
- zolmitriptan, Zomig, Zomig-ZMT
- celecoxib (Celebrex)
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- meloxicam (Mobic) Side Effects
- hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc, Synvisc One)
- tramadol and acetaminophen, Ultracet
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- Narcotic Pain Medications (Opioids, Analgesics, Narcotics)
- narcotic analgesic/aspirin/caffeine - oral
- methadone - injection, Dolophine
- hydromorphone extended release - oral, Exalgo
- orphenadrine (Norflex)
- methadone dispersible tablet - oral, Methadose
- morphine sustained-action capsule - oral, Kadian
- methadone concentrate - oral, Methadose
- methadone (Dolophine; Methadone HCl Intensol; Methadose; Methadose Sugar-Free)
- MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) Dietary Supplement
- meperidine - injection, Demerol
- fentanyl lozenge - buccal, Actiq
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Dilaudid-HP Injection, Exalgo) for Pain
- morphine extended-release capsule - oral, Avinza
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- milnacipran, Savella
- golimumab (Simponi, Simponi Aria)
- Tofacitinib citrate (Xeljanz)
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- Tramadol (Ultram) Side Effects
- Dilaudid vs. Oxycodone
- Oxycodone vs. Codeine
- Dilaudid vs. Percocet for Pain
- Hydrocodone vs. Hydromorphone (Differences between Side Effects)
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- Lyrica vs. Gabapentin: Differences between Pain Relief and Uses
- Ibuprofen vs. Meloxicam (Mobic) for Pain
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
- Dilaudid vs. Fentanyl (Pain Strength Comparison and Side Effects)
- Acetaminophen vs. Ibuprofen for Pain (Differences in Side Effects and Dosage)
- Ibuprofen and Plavix (Side Effects and Interactions)
- Baclofen vs. Flexeril (Side Effects and Interactions)
- Aleve (naproxen) vs. Celebrex (celecoxib)
- Benzodiazepines vs. Narcotics (Opioids)
- Codeine Sulfate
- Imitrex Injection
- Ultram ER
- Darvon Compound
- Imitrex Nasal Spray
- Roxicodone 15 30 mg
- Vicodin ES
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Know the Risk Factors for Lower Back Pain
- Brain Scans Suggest Pain of Fibromyalgia Isn't Imaginary
- Three New Genes Linked to Chronic Back Pain
- For Pain Relief, Why Not Try Drug-Free Alternatives
- Opioid Overdose Crisis May Have Begun Decades Ago
- Reports Warn of Growing Opioid Crisis Among Seniors
- Acupuncture: A New Look at an Ancient Remedy
- 1 in 12 Americans Lives With Debilitating Chronic Pain
- Mindfulness May Be a Buffer Against Pain
- Could a Placebo Pill Help Ease Your Back Pain?
- New Treatment Approved for Opioid Dependence
- Chronic Pain May Drive Some to Suicide
- More Aging Boomers Are Embracing Pot
- Opium Poppy Genome Research May Aid Painkiller Production
- Monkey Trials Raise Hope for Non-Addictive Opioid Alternative
- Warning Letters Target Illegal Online Sales of Opioid Meds: FDA
- As Opioid Epidemic Rages, Painkiller Prescriptions Don't Drop
- Can Arthritic Dogs (and Their Owners) Benefit From Stem Cell Injections?
- Most Seniors Uninformed on Opioid Use
- Majority in U.S. Support Medical Pot, Think It Could Fight Opioid Crisis
- Where Are Opioid Painkillers Prescribed the Most?
- Supplement May Ease the Pain of Sickle Cell Disease
- Chronic Pain Patients Ask FDA to Ease Opioid Prescribing Restrictions
- Medical Marijuana a Hit With Seniors
- Risky Prescribing Boosts Opioid Death Risk
- Trump Carried Counties With High Opioid Use: Study
- Have Insurers Played a Role in Opioid Crisis?
- Pot Still a Drug of Choice for Many U.S. Adults
- First Ketamine Guidelines for Pain Released
- Patients on Opioids OK With Lower Doses
- Health Tip: Is Hand Therapy Right For You?
- Exercises for Chronic Health Conditions
- Avoid 'Text Neck' From Your Cellphone
- Safety Info for Opioids Found Lacking
- Doctors Curbing First-Time Prescriptions for Opioids
- Former U.S. House Speaker Boehner Now Backs Marijuana Legalization, Joins Cannabis Company Board
- Health Tip: Taming Bursitis
- Older Americans Support Medical Marijuana: Poll
- Millions Get Wrong Treatment for Back Pain: Study
- A Surgery-Free Fix for Bad Knees?
- Is Herbal Drug Kratom a Health Friend or Foe?
- Do Over-the-Counter Painkillers Alter Emotions, Reasoning?
- Losing Weight Eases Obesity-Related Pain. But How Much Is Enough?
- Opioids Aren't America's Only Painkiller Problem
- Opioid Abuse Rises When Prescriptions Are Renewed
- Packets That Turn Opioid Painkillers Into Useless Gel Offered at Walmart
- Health Tip: Sit and Stand Up Straight
- Insights Into Pain Relief From the Family That Can't Feel Pain
- Drug May Help Surgical Patients Stop Opioids Sooner
- Chronic Pain Common Among Those Who OD on Opioids
- Opioids Not the Only Answer for Pain Relief in the ER
- Senator Wants Law Changed After 60 Minutes Story on Opioid Crisis
- Around the World, Too Little Relief for Pain
- Cigna Says No to OxyContin
- Makers of Quick-Release Opioid Painkillers Must Provide Doctor Training
- Post-Op Opioids: How Much Is Enough?
- ERs Prescribing Opioids at Lower Doses, Shorter Durations
- CDC Launches Opioid Campaign in Hard-Hit States
- Lady Gaga's Fibromyalgia Puts Illness in the Spotlight
- Too Few New Antibiotics in Development: WHO
- Lady Gaga Has Fibromyalgia
- Managing Pain Can Be a Puzzle After Breast Cancer
- Early Rotator Cuff Surgery Helps Return to Activity
- How You Think About Your Arthritis Makes a Difference
- Longer Prescriptions Make Opioid Abuse More Likely: Study
- Hernia Patients May Need Fewer Opioids After Surgery, Study Finds
- Many Prescribed Opioids Even After Overdose
- Study Finds Options to Opioid Use After Knee Surgery
- Marijuana May Help Ease Nerve Pain, Review Finds
- 2 of 3 U.S. Patients Keep Unused Painkillers After Surgery
- Doctors May Be Over-Prescribing Seizure Drugs to Treat Pain
- Doctors Still Overprescribing Opioids in U.S.
- 7-Fold Spike Seen in Opioid-Linked Fatal Car Crashes
- New Surgery May Fix Tough-to-Treat Rotator Cuff Tears
- Health Tip: Adapting After Hip Replacement
- Easing Opioid Dose May Improve Pain and Quality of Life
- Ending U.S. Opioid Abuse Epidemic Will Take Years: Report
- Health Tip: Battling Muscle Cramps?
- U.S. Opioid Prescriptions Fall, But Numbers Still High: CDC
- Health Tip: Are You at Risk for a Herniated Disk?
- Reaching Beyond the Prescription Pad to Treat Pain
- Don't Let Summer Strain Your Back
- When Is an Opioid Safe to Take?
- Guided Exercise May Help Chronic Fatigue Patients: Study
- Acupuncture May Be Effective Painkiller in the ER
- 1 in 5 Weight-Loss Surgery Patients Using Opioids Years Later
- Chronic Pain Common in Adults With Depression, Anxiety
- Persistent Pain May Lead to Memory Troubles
- Breast-Feeding May Reduce Pain From C-Section
- Gene Therapy Might Someday Mend Badly Broken Bones
- Don't Let Your Garden Get You Down
- Babies Born Addicted to Opioids Often Struggle With Learning
- Could Germs in the Gut Give Rise to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- 'Mindfulness' Probably Won't Cure Your Back Pain: Study
- Healing Hands: Massage May Ease Chronic Back Pain
- Many Opioid Addictions Surface After Surgery, Study Finds
- Chiropractors Not Magicians When It Comes to Chronic Back Pain
- Are There Two Forms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- Knee Replacement Doesn't Always Pay, Researchers Say
- What Drugs Work Best for Diabetic Nerve Pain?
- Many Talks on End-of-Life Wishes End in Confusion, Study Shows
- Steroid Shots Offer No Long-Term Relief for Low-Back Pain
- Shingles Vaccine Cuts Chronic Pain, Hospitalizations
- Mediterranean Diet May Ease Chronic Pain of Obesity
- FDA Throws Cold Water on Whole Body Cryotherapy
- Wireless Arm Patch May Blunt Migraine Pain
- Many Opioid Addicts in Treatment Take Narcotics on the Side
- Try Drug-Free Options First for Low Back Pain, New Guidelines Say
- Opioids and Alcohol a Dangerous Cocktail
- U.S. Report Cites the Good and Bad on Marijuana
- Everyday Pain Relievers May Be Linked to Hearing Loss in Some Women
- What You Need to Know When Prescribed an Opioid Painkiller
- U.S. Doctors Still Over-Prescribing Drugs: Survey
- Specially Designed Video Game Might Ease 'Phantom Limb' Pain
- Opioids No Better Than Ibuprofen for Pain After Car Crash: Study
- A Benefit of Back Pain Surgery: Better Sex
- New Spine Stimulation Device Provides Pain Relief
- Researchers: We Found Area of Brain That Responds to Placebo
- Doctors Try Brain-Training to Curb 'Phantom Limb Pain'
- Many Take Opioids Reluctantly for Back Pain: Survey
- 'Fake Pills' May Help Ease Back Pain
- Health Tip: Need Pain Relief?
- Number of Americans With Severe Joint Pain Keeps Rising
- DEA Puts Quota on Production of Opioid Painkillers
- Study: Yoga as Good as Physical Therapy for Back Pain
- Could Prescribed NSAID Painkillers Raise Heart Failure Risk?
- Ketamine May Treat Migraine, Chronic Pain
- What Is Kratom? Why Does the DEA Want to Ban It?
- Review Suggests Safe, Effective Ways to Relieve Pain Without Meds
- Non-addictive Painkiller Shows Promise in Animal Trials
- Medical Marijuana's Pain Relief May Work Better for Men
- Health Tip: Work Through Chronic Pain
- Veterans' Painkiller Abuse Can Raise Odds for Heroin Use
- Study Finds Links Between Chronic Pain, Depression in Couples
- U.S. DEA Denies Request to Ease Federal Pot Rules
- Addiction Risk Low for Seniors Taking Post-Op Opioids: Study
- Doctors Urged to Prescribe Lower Doses of Opioids, No Refills
- 1 in 5 Opioid Users Also Might Be Abusing Seizure Drug: Study
- Health Tip: If You Have Pain in Your Shins
- Fentanyl-Laced 'Norco' Is Lethal, Report Warns
- New Guidelines Issued for Cancer Patients' Post-Treatment Pain
- Health Tip: Ease Arthritis Pain With Warm Water
- Helping a Child Manage a Chronic Illness
- Opioid Abusers Missing Out on Addiction-Fighting Drug
- Why Kicking the Opioid Habit Can Be So Tough
- Common Surgeries Raise Risk for Opioid Dependence: Study
- Beware Whole Body Cryotherapy Claims, FDA Warns
- Health Tip: Self-Manage Chronic Illness
- Tighter Opioid Laws in U.S. Haven't Eased Misuse
- Alternative Medicine Taking Hold Among Americans: Report
- Health Tip: Osteoporosis Shouldn't Be Ignored
- The Childhood Incidents That Increase Later Suicide Risk
- Patients Often Prescribed Extra Painkillers, Many Share Them
- Fewer Injured Workers Getting Opioid Prescriptions in Some States
- Experimental Drug Acts Fast Against Chronic Migraine
- Prince Died From Potent Prescription Painkiller: Autopsy
- Antidepressants Not Just for Depression Any More
- Drug Protects Lung Function in Kids With Sickle Cell: Study
- Chronic Pain May Trigger Many Cases of Painkiller Addiction: Survey
- What a Change in DEA's Pot Rules Might Mean for Medical Research
- Painkiller Addiction Relapse More Likely for Some
- Sleepy Teens Are Risk-Taking Teens
- Freezing Technique May Ease 'Phantom Limb' Pain for Amputees
- Anti-Addiction Drug May Help Curb Painkiller, Heroin Dependence
- Vivitrol Cuts Relapse Risk in Opioid Addicts
- Obama Seeks to Expand Opioid Addiction Treatment
- FDA Wants Generic Narcotic Painkillers to Be Abuse-Deterrent
- FDA Orders Warning Labels on Prescription Narcotic Painkillers
- CDC Issues Tough New Guidelines on Use of Prescription Painkillers
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Back Pain During Sleep
- Painkillers Don't Ease Disability Due to Nerve Damage: Study
- Many Chronic Pain Sufferers May Overuse Nonprescription Painkillers
- Did Painkiller Crackdown Cause Heroin Epidemic?
- Could Doctor Bias Be Affecting Your Treatment?
- Painkillers Often Gateway to Heroin for U.S. Teens: Survey
- Opioids: What Patients -- and Doctors -- Think
- Prescriptions Continue for Most Who Survive Painkiller ODs: Study
- Primary Care Docs the Leading Prescribers of Narcotic Painkillers: Study
- Electrical Stimulation May Ease Low Back Pain for Some
- More Americans Seek Treatment for Painkiller, Heroin Abuse
- Acupuncture May Ease Neck Pain Over Long Term
- Prescription Drug Use on the Rise in U.S.
- Health Tip: Avoid Back Pain While Feeding Baby
- Ex-NFL Star Helps Spread the Word on Risks Posed by Painkillers
- Brain Chemistry May Change to Cope With Pain
- Prescription Naproxen as Good as Narcotic Painkillers for Low Back Pain: Study
- Prescription Painkiller Abuse Rate Down, But Many Are Addicted: Study
- Medical Marijuana Seems Safe for Chronic Pain Patients, Study Finds
- Back Pain Patients Seek Pain Relief First, Mobility Second
- Chronic Pain Linked to ADHD
- Florida Laws May Help Lower Abuse of Prescription Painkillers
- 25 Million U.S. Adults Struggle With Daily Pain
- Yeast's New Use: Making Narcotic Painkillers
- This Many Million Adults Say They're in Pain Daily
- U.S. Medical Groups Join to Fight Prescription Painkiller Abuse
- Study Finds Drinking May Ease Fibromyalgia Pain, But Doctors Wary
- Pain Often Hinders Seniors With Dementia
- Better Sleep May Mean Less Chronic Pain
- Many Don't Tell Docs About Using Alternative Therapies for Pain
- Antidepressant, Painkiller Combo May Raise Risk of Brain Bleed
- FDA Strengthens Warning on NSAIDs and Heart Risk
- Many Doctors Underestimate Risks of Prescription Painkillers: Survey
- Shingles Vaccine Appears to Cut Odds of Long-Term Pain
- Do Certain Medicines Raise Murder Risk?
- Health Tip: Sleeping With Chronic Pain
- Medical Pot-Painkiller Combo Isn't Always Recipe for Abuse
- Insomniacs May Be More Sensitive to Pain
- Spinal Stimulation System Relieves Pain Without Tingling
- ER Doctors Cautious When Prescribing Narcotic Painkillers: Study
- 'Tamper-Proof' Narcotic Painkiller May Be Curbing Abuse: Study
- One-Quarter of Narcotic Painkillers Misused, Study Shows
- Obesity, Smoking, Drinking, Depression: All Linked to Low Back Pain
- British Scientists Spot Brain's Pain Center
- Painkiller-Addicted Babies a Growing U.S. Concern, Especially in Fla.
- Does Long-Term Acetaminophen Use Raise Health Risks?
- Health Tip: Avoid Overdosing on Pain Medication
- Acupuncture Less Effective for Skeptics
- Some Jobs Are a Pain in the Back
- Many Women of Childbearing Age Take Narcotic Painkillers: CDC
- Brain Scans Give New Clues to Chronic Pain
- A Virtual Refuge From Real Pain
- U.S. Doctors Cutting Back on Painkiller Prescriptions: Study
- Painkiller Tramadol Linked to Low Blood Sugar
- Abuse-Resistant Prescription Painkiller Approved
- Health Tip: Seek Treatment for a Broken Toe
- Three-Quarters of Young Baseball Players Have Arm Pain
- Pain, Depression Tied to Delirium Risk After Surgery for Seniors
- Certain Painkillers Tied to Raised Risk of Death After Stroke
- Almost 1 in 5 Americans Plagued by Constant Pain, Survey Suggests
- Health Tip: Why People Seek Counseling
- Health Tip: Coping With Chronic Pain
- Anesthetic During Breast-Removal Surgery May Reduce Long-Term Pain
- Acupuncture May Not Help Chronic Knee Pain, Study Finds
- Doctors' Group Issues Painkiller Guidelines
- U.S. Pledges Millions to Study Ways to Ease Soldiers' Pain
- Deaths From Narcotic Painkillers Quadrupled in Past Decade: CDC
- 'Doctor-Shopping' for Painkillers Common After Broken-Bone Surgery, Study Finds
- Fewer Painkiller Deaths in States With Medical Marijuana: Study
- Many U.S. Workers on Disability Use Narcotic Painkillers, Study Finds
- Painkillers May Halve Risk of Breast Cancer Return in Obese Women: Study
- Lidocaine Injection May Help Treat Fibromyalgia, Study Suggests
- Skip the Steroids for Shoulder Pain?
- Tough-to-Abuse Formulation of Oxycodone Approved
- FDA Approves Hard-to-Abuse Narcotic Painkiller
- Could 'Phone Care' Ring in New Approach to Pain Relief?
- Don't Blame Bad Weather for Your Aching Back
- More Painkillers May Raise Heart Risks for Older Women: Review
- Prescriptions for Powerful Painkillers Vary Widely Among States: CDC
- Many U.S. Vets Suffer Chronic Pain, Take Narcotic Painkillers: Study
- Training Programs Protect Young Athletes From ACL Tears: Report
- Genes May Help Determine Your Pain Threshold
- FDA OKs Quick-Acting Antidote for Prescription Painkiller Overdose
- Brief Whiplash Treatment Works as Well as Lengthy Therapy, Study Finds
- Electrical Brain Stimulation Might Help Fibromyalgia Patients
- Doctors Often Comply When Patients Ask for Advertised Drugs: Study
- ERs Dispensing More Narcotic Painkillers: Study
- Pain Can Plague Women After Knee Replacement Surgery
- Hormones Might Offer Relief From Chronic Pain, Small Study Suggests
- Study Finds 1 in 3 Tennesseans Uses Narcotic Painkillers Each Year
- FDA-Approved Painkiller Zohydro Concerns Critics
- Groups Push FDA to Revoke Approval of Highly Potent Painkiller
- Tarantula Venom Has Painkiller Potential: Study
- Amputee's 'Phantom Limb' Pain Eased by Virtual Arm Technology
- Many Patients Have Pain After Heart Surgery, Study Finds
- FDA Panel Sees No Heart-Safety Advantage With Naproxen
- FDA Advisers Revisit Heart Risks Posed by Painkillers
- Most Crash Victims Don't Plan to Sue: Study
- Your Brain Structure Might Influence Pain Tolerance
- Health Tip: Deal With Chronic Pain
- Vitamin D Supplements May Help Ease Fibromyalgia Pain: Study
- Meditation May Reduce Mild Depression, Anxiety
- Many Women Still Have Pain One Year After Breast Cancer Surgery
- Many Women Suffer Persistent Pain After Mastectomy
- Adjust the Lights, Hold the Morphine?
- Acetaminophen and Alcohol a Bad Mix, Study Suggests
- Brain Scans Show Fibromyalgia Patients Process Pain Differently
- Tylenol and Alcohol a Bad Mix, Study Suggests
- FDA OKs New Hydrocodone Painkiller
- Fibromyalgia Might Be Harder on Younger Patients, Study Finds
- Gene Makeup May Help Explain Amputees' Chronic Pain
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Add to Painkiller Dependence, Study Says
- Opioids Not Winning the Battle Against Pain, Study Suggests
- FDA Announces New Safety Measures for Narcotic Painkillers
- Health Tip: You May Need Surgery for Low Back Pain
- Partner's Chronic Pain Can Interfere With Your Sleep
- Ultrasound Device Might Be a Mood Booster
- Sharp Rise in Drug Overdoses Among U.S. Women: CDC
- Knee Replacement Often Beneficial for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Study
- Weather Doesn't Trigger Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Study Finds
- High Doses of Common Painkillers May Raise Risk for Heart Trouble
- Migraine, Chronic Back Pain Tied to Higher Suicide Risk
- Pain a Common Problem for People With COPD
- Erectile Dysfunction Tied to Long-Term Narcotic Use in Men
- Using Marijuana to Treat Pain? A Pill May Outlast a Puff
- Stem Cells to Relieve Low Back Pain?
- For First Time, Pain 'Signature' Spotted on Brain MRIs
- Chronic Pain Often Follows Stroke
- Health Tip: Don't Ignore Pain During Exercise
- Antidepressant Lessens Chemo-Related Pain
- Steroid Shots Disappoint in Back Pain Study
- Health Tip: Dealing With Low Back Pain
- When It Comes to Spine Surgery, There Is No 'July Effect': Study
- Brain Scan Study Suggests Docs 'Feel' Your Pain
- FDA Panel Weighs Tougher Restrictions on Some Prescription Painkillers
- Many Suffer Chronic Pain After Breast Cancer Surgery, Study Finds
- Health Tip: In Chronic Pain?
- Obese Patients May Have Less Success With Back Surgery
- 'Love Hormone' May Aid Women's Recovery After Childbirth
- Back Pain May Ease for Smokers Who Quit: Study
- As Doctors Go High-Tech, Staff Injuries May Rise
- Is Childhood Intelligence Linked to Pain Problems in Adulthood?
- Steroid Injections for Back Pain May Lower Bone Mass
- More Sleep May Help Some People Feel Less Pain
- Too Much or Too Little Activity Can Spur Knee Problems
- Chronic Pain Is Often a Family Affair, Study Finds
- Back Pain? Steroid Shots May Raise Fracture Risk
- Are Knee Injuries Tied to Menstrual Cycle?
- Pain Level After Car Crash Could Depend on Your Genes, Studies Say
- Tainted Steroid Injections May Affect Those Treated for Joint Pain
- Many Hospitalized Children Experience Severe Pain: Report
- Health Tip: Considering Counseling?
- Chronic Pain May Cost U.S. $635 Billion a Year
- NFL Docs Urge More Caution With Key Pain Med
- Acupuncture Pain Relief Is Real, Researchers Say
- Health Tip: Living With Fibromyalgia
- Epilepsy Drug Gabapentin Calms Chronic Cough
- Pain Reported by Nearly Half With Type 2 Diabetes
- Happy Feet: Plastic Surgery for Best Foot Forward
- Methadone for Pain Relief Leading Cause of Fatal Overdoses: CDC
- Health Tip: Signs of a Herniated Disk
- Chronic Pain May Depend on Emotional Reaction to Injury
- Few Patients Should Get Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants, FDA Panel Says
- FDA Probing Safety of Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants
- Chronic Abuse of Prescription Drugs Skyrocketing
- 1 in 10 Fibromyalgia Patients Uses Marijuana to Ease Pain
- Low Vitamin B6 Linked to Inflammation
- Mental Health Woes Raise Odds for Prescription Painkiller Abuse
- Obesity, Diabetes May Raise Complications After Joint Replacement
- Exercise Appears to Ease Nerve-Damage Pain in Rat Study
- Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Don't Boost Local Crime: Study
- Cell Transplant Tested as Treatment for Nerve Pain in Mice
- Athletes Really Do Play Through the Pain
- Back Pain Therapy Often Yields Early Benefits: Study
- Health Tip: When Your Knee is Unstable
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Back Pain
- One Baby per Hour Born Drug Dependent
- Adjusting Your Attitude About Chronic Pain May Help You Sleep
- 1/3 With Arthritis Report Anxiety or Depression
- Fatigue Not a Factor in Fibromyalgia Pain, Study Says
- 'Off-Label' Drug Use Appears Common
- Dentists Play Key Role in Detecting Oral Cancer
- Less Invasive Hernia Procedure Easier on Patients: Study
- Seniors' Long-Term Use of Strong Painkillers a Concern
- FDA Panel Recommends Second Chance for New Class of Painkillers
- Researchers ID Gene for Neck Disorder
- People in Poor Neighborhoods Have More Pain, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Preventing Back Pain Among New Moms
- Skin Tests Catch Metal Sensitivity Before Joint Replacement
- Kids With Gender Noncomformity at Increased Risk for Abuse
- Obesity Linked to Worse Fibromyalgia Symptoms
- Health Tip: Before You Start an Exercise Program
- Does Obesity Cause Pain?
- Insomnia Can Be Dangerous, But There's Rest for the Weary
- Exercise, Talk Therapy by Phone May Help Relieve Fibromyalgia Pain
- Study: Music Can Ease Pain
- Are the Benefits of Vitamin D Overhyped?
- Spouse's Reaction May Affect Pain Management
- Experimental Treatment May Help Relieve Back Pain
- Women's Sleep Problems Linked to Fibromyalgia Risk
- 40 U.S. Deaths a Day from Prescription Painkillers
- Combination Therapy Needed to Fight Chronic Pain
- ER Docs Frustrated, Burned Out by Repeat Patients: Survey
- Pain Relief Strategy: Cross Your Arms?
- Chronic Pain of Fibromyalgia Takes Toll on Everyday Life
- Meditation May Reduce Pain
- Therapy, Exercise Help Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- NSAID Pain Relievers Raise Heart Risks
- Women Weigh in on Breast-Conserving Surgery
- Marijuana Relieves Chronic Pain, Research Shows
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the Brain
- New Pain Drug May Be Alternative to Oxycodone
- Lack of Sleep Triggers 'Migraine' Proteins
- Sleeping Pill May Treat Fibromyalgia Pain
- People With Fibromyalgia Prone to Falls
- Gender Gap in Prescription Pain Drug Abuse
- Negative Outlook Prolongs Back Pain
- Words Really Do Hurt
- Short Bursts of Activity Ease Fibromyalgia
- Brief Meditation Training Brings Pain Relief
- Living with Chronic Pain
- Chronic Pain: Does Vitamin D Help?
- The Truth About Vitamin D
- Depression Symptoms in Men
- OxyContin (oxycodone) Questions and Answers
- Lyrica FAQ
- Aspirin FAQ
- Chronic Pain: Specific References for Chronic Pain
- Arthritis: Alternative Ways to Easing Arthritis Pain
- Pfizer Suspends Sales of Bextra
- Cox-2 Inhibitors: FDA Announces Series of Changes to the Class of Marketed Non-Steroidal
- Bextra Gets New Warning On Label
- Chronic Pain: Living With Pain
- Pain Management FAQs
- Pain Management and Intimacy
- Gynecological Disorders - Research
- FDA Makes Statement on Naproxen (Aleve)
- 10 Warning Signs of Prescription Painkiller Dependency
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter