Trending Chronic Pain Topics
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to acute pain that arises suddenly in response to a specific injury and is usually treatable, chronic pain persists over time and is often resistant to medical treatments.
Watch this slideshow about fibromyalgia (fibrositis) with pictures about this chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints. Learn symptoms (pain, fatigue, tension headaches) and find treatment through exercise, patient education, medication, and stress reduction.
Related Disease Conditions
Ankle Pain (Tendinitis)
Ankle pain is commonly due to a sprain or tendinitis. The severity of ankle sprains ranges from mild (which can resolve within...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which irritation of the wrist's median nerve causes tingling and numbness of the thumb,...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Second Source article from Government...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Coccydynia (Tailbone Pain)
Coccydynia is an inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks. Coccydynia is associated with...
Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica
Degenerative disc disease makes the disc more susceptible to herniation (rupture) which can lead to localized or radiating pain....
Direct vs. Indirect Hernia
Direct and indirect hernia are both inguinal hernias. Both types of hernias may cause a visible bulge in the groin area. Weakness...
Dislocated Ankle (Ankle Dislocation)
Symptoms and signs of a dislocated ankle include pain, swelling, bruising, ankle deformity, and possible numbness and tingling in...
Elbow pain is most often the result of tendinitis, which can affect the inner or outer elbow. Treatment includes ice, rest, and...
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Second Source article from WebMD...
Second Source article from Government...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Foot pain may be caused by injuries (sprains, strains, bruises, and fractures), diseases (diabetes, Hansen disease, and gout),...
A frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) is when the shoulder joint experiences a significant loss in its range of motion due to...
Heel spurs -- pointed, bony outgrowths of the heel -- cause localized soft-tissue inflammation and can be located at the back of...
Hernia (Abdominal Hernia, Types, and Surgery)
A hernia occurs when an organ or piece of tissue protrudes from the space in which it is normally contained. Symptoms of a hernia...
A herniated disc may be caused by injury or degeneration from age. Symptoms depend on the location of the herniation and whether...
Arthritis, bursitis, IT band syndrome, fracture, and strain are just some of the causes of hip pain. Associated symptoms and...
Impingement syndrome is a condition that affects the shoulder. Symptoms include pain with overhead use of the arm, difficulty...
Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
Lumbar stenosis can be caused by degenerative arthritis (the most common cause), tumor, infection, or metabolic disorders...
A Morton's neuroma is an inflamed nerve between the bones at the ball of the foot. Symptoms include a burning, sharp pain on the...
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with...
Muscle Pain (Myofascial Pain Syndrome)
Muscle spasms are involuntary muscle contractions that come on suddenly and are usually quite painful. Dehydration, doing...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Pain Management: Musculoskeletal Pain
Natural menopause is the permanent ending of menstruation that is not brought on by any type of medical treatment. For women...
A pinched nerve causes pain, numbness, or tingling in the affected area due to pressure on a nerve. Caral tunnel and sciatica are...
Piriformis syndrome may develop if the piriformis muscle spasms and compresses the sciatic nerve. This causes buttock pain that...
Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a disorder of the muscles and joints that causes pain and stiffness in the arms, neck, shoulders,...
Radiculopathy, a condition in which a nerve or nerves along the spine are compressed causing pain, numbness, weakenss, and...
Rotator Cuff Disease
Rotator cuff disease is damage to any of the four tendons that stabilize the shoulder joint. Shoulder pain and tenderness are...
Sciatica pain, caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve, typically radiates from the low back to behind the thigh to below the...
Shin splints result from inflammation from injury to the tendon and adjacent tissues in the front of the outer leg. Shin splints...
Shoulder and Neck Pain
Shoulder and neck pain may be caused by bursitis, a pinched nerve, whiplash, tendinitis, a herniated disc, or a rotator cuff...
Sickle Cell Disease (Sickle Cell Anemia)
Sickle cell anemia (sickle cell disease), a blood disease which shortens life expectancy, is caused by an inherited abnormal...
Spinal Cord Injury
Second Source article from Government...
Spinal Cord Injury: Treatments and Rehabilitation
When vertebrae are broken or dislocated, the result can cause traumatic injury to the spinal cord. A spinal cord injury can have...
Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome is a disorder that causes symptoms like pain, clicking, and popping of the jaw. TMJ is...
Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
Tennis elbow is also known as lateral epicondylitis. Symptoms of tennis elbow include tenderness and dull pain of the outer...
Urinary retention (inability to urinate) may be caused by nerve disease, spinal cord injury, prostate enlargement, infection,...
Urinary Tract Infection in Adults
Second Source article from Government...
Whiplash is a common injury to a person's neck following a car accident (in most cases). Symptoms include: headache, neck...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Abdominal pain is a symptom of many possible conditions including appendicitis, ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion,...
Back Pain: Find Relief, Treat Your Back Pain
Back pain conditions are very common. Learn the truth and get the facts behind myths, remedies, causes and treatment for back...
Back Pain Quiz: Test Your Back Pain IQ
There are numerous causes of chronic lower back pain and only one ailment gets more complaints. What is it? Quiz your knowledge...
Back Pain: Tips for Traveling When You Have Back Pain
Don't let back or other pain keep you from your travel adventures. Try these tips to minimize discomfort during your next flight...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Visual Guide
Could the pain in your hand be carpal tunnel syndrome? Watch this slideshow to learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Who is more affected by carpal tunnel syndrome: Men or women? Take the Carpal Tunnel Quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, and...
Abdominal Pain: Common Causes of Stomach Pain in Children
Abdominal pain in children can be more than just a tummy ache. What are the common causes of abdominal pain in children? Learn...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
Chronic Pain Syndrome: Treatment and Management for CPS
What is chronic pain syndrome (CPS)? See causes, symptoms and treatment options including medications. Learn about pain...
Fibromyalgia Treatments and Tips to Ease Pain and Other Symptoms
What is fibromyalgia? Learn about fibromyalgia symptoms such as trigger points (also called tender points), learn what causes...
Fibromyalgia Pain Relief With Stretching and Strength Exercises in Pictures
Living with fibromyalgia is painful. By making simple exercise modifications, you can boost your energy, decrease pain and...
Picture of Fibromyalgia
A syndrome characterized by chronic pain, stiffness, and tenderness of muscles, tendons, and joints without detectable...
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Fibromyalgia Quiz: What Is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia could be the reason for your constant, deep bodily pain. Learn more about this painful condition with the...
11 Exercises for Lower Back Pain Relief
One of the best low back pain treatments is exercise. Learn more about low back pain exercises--what works, and what doesn't....
Picture of Hammertoes
A hammertoe is a toe that is bent because of a weakened muscle. See a picture of Hammertoes and learn more about the health topic....
Healthy Living: How to Listen to Your Body
You've probably heard your body trying to tell you something after a session at the gym, but what was it? WebMD helps you sort...
Leg Pain: Causes and Treatment for Leg, Calf, and Thigh Pain
Leg, calf and thigh pain are symptoms of conditions that may involve the muscles, nerves, and more. Sensations like tingling,...
Low Back Pain: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Relief
Do you suffer from low back pain? Watch this slideshow to see common triggers of lower back pain and what kind of treatments you...
Muscle Cramps: Foods That Help and Prevent Cramping
One way to prevent muscle cramps is to get enough of these nutrients: potassium, sodium, calcium, and magnesium. They’re called...
Nerve Pain: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment Options
Learn about nerve pain symptoms, causes, and treatment options. Discover medications, treatments, and natural remedies that can...
Pain Management: Knee Pain Dos and Don'ts
Your knees go through a lot in the course of a day, and sometimes they can run into trouble. Here are a few things you can do...
Pain Quiz: Test Your IQ of Pain
Is pain all in the brain? Take the Pain Quiz to learn everything you've ever wanted to know about the unpleasant sensation we...
Pain Management: Surprising Causes of Pain
What’s causing your pain? Learn the common causes of lower back pain, as well as pain in the knee, stomach, kidney, shoulder,...
Pain Management: 15 Easy Ways to Reduce Chronic Pain
Chronic pain can be a symptom of many conditions, including arthritis, headaches, and others. Comprehensive pain management...
Rotator Cuff Tear: Symptoms, Causes, and Surgery
Learn about a rotator cuff tear. What could it mean if you have rotator cuff pain? Explore rotator cuff tear symptoms, causes,...
Sciatica Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
Sciatica pain radiates from the lower back toward the feet. Sciatica may feel like a cramp in the leg, burning, tingling, pins...
How Does Acupuncture Work? Benefits, Needles, Definition
What is acupuncture? How does acupuncture work? Does acupuncture hurt? Learn various acupuncture points, the definition of...
Picture of Slipped Disc
Rupturing of the tissue that separates the vertebral bones of the spinal column. See a picture of Slipped Disc and learn more...
Worst Shoes for Your Foot Health and Beauty With Pictures
Stilettos, platforms or flip-flops...which are the worst shoes for your feet? See how some of the hottest styles can be torture...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Arm Pain
- Lower Back Pain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Cauda Equina Syndrome
- Chronic Pain
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
- Groin Pain
- Herniated Disc
- Hunched Posture
- Kidney Stone
- Leg Pain
- Muscle Pain (Myalgia)
- Neck Pain (Cervicalgia)
- Pelvic Pain
- Rotator Cuff Injury
- Stiff Neck
- Urinary Retention
- Back: 10 Health Tips for Autumn Leaves Clean-Up
- Doctors Answer Pain Questions
- Can UCTD Turn into Lupus?
- Can You Use Methadone for Back Pain?
- Chondromalacia: What Makes Knee Pain Worse?
- Common Hernia Treatments
- Can Cymbalta Help Nerve Damage in the Spine?
- Fibromyalgia: 2004 Perspectives
- Fibromyalgia - Arthritis Meeting 2003
- Fibromyalgia: 3 Things to Do
- Fibromyalgia Treatments Without Drugs
- Fibromyalgia 2002 Arthritis Conference Report
- What Are the 9 Types of Hernia?
- Herniated Disc - Epidural Cortisone Injections
- Fibromyalgia Treatment...Methods Using Available Medicines
- Sidelined by a Dislocated Shoulder
- How to Get Rid of Constipation
- Knee Pain Causes
- Pain (Acute and Chronic)
- Pain Management Over-The-Counter
- Can Paxil Treat Fibromyalgia Pain?
- Phantom Limb Pain: Mirror Therapy Treatment
- Fibromyalgia - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Do I need Rehab to Quit Oxycontin for Chronic Pain?
- Sciatica Pain Vs. Fibromyalgia Pain: What Are The Differences?
- Sickle Trait and Sickle Cell Disease
- Spinal Cord Injury: C4 Is a Crucial Level
- TMJ Symptoms
- What Is the Treatment for Peripheral Neuropathy?
- Vertebroplasty Treatment For Spine Fractures
- Tiger Woods: Stress Fracture and Torn ACL
- What Is Breakthrough Pain?
- Hammer Toe
- Why Am I So Tired? The Many Causes of Fatigue
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- Acetaminophen vs. Ibuprofen for Pain (Differences in Side Effects and Dosage)
- Aleve (naproxen) vs. Celebrex (celecoxib)
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- Aspirin vs. Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Baclofen vs. Flexeril (Side Effects and Interactions)
- Benzodiazepines vs. Narcotics (Opioids)
- codeine (for Pain)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- Dandelion (Taraxacum officinal)
- dipyridamole - oral, Persantine
- fentanyl patch (Duragesic)
- Gabapentin vs. Baclofen
- Gabapentin vs. Tramadol
- hydrocodone and ibuprofen, Vicoprofen
- Hydrocodone vs. Hydromorphone (Differences between Side Effects)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Vicodin, Norco)
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- Ibuprofen vs. Meloxicam (Mobic) for Pain
- meperidine - injection, Demerol
- metaxalone (Skelaxin)
- methadone (Dolophine, Methadose)
- milnacipran, Savella
- morphine extended-release capsule - oral, Avinza
- Pain Medications (Narcotics)
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- orphenadrine (Norflex)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- Percocet vs. Lortab
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- propoxyphene and acetaminophen (Darvocet)
- Skelaxin vs. Baclofen
- tramadol and acetaminophen (Ultracet)
Prevention & Wellness
- 'Mindfulness' Might Help Some Conquer Chronic Pain
- 'Smartphone Slouching' More Serious Than It Sounds
- 1 in 4 American Workers Struggles With Back Pain
- 4 Exercises for a Better Back
- A New Challenger to Medical Marijuana?
- Advice for Battling Opioid Addiction
- Americans Are Dying From Kratom Overdoses: CDC
- An App, Your Fingernail -- and Anemia Screening Is Done
- An Expert's Guide to Avoiding Back Pain
- Anti-Opioid Vaccine Shows Promise in Mice
- Blood Test Might Diagnose Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Cablivi Approved for Rare Clotting Disorder
- Can Herbal Drug Kratom Kill?
- U.S. Government Urges Caution When Taking Patients Off Opioid Painkillers
- CBD -- It's Everywhere, But Does It Work?
- CBD Is the Rage, But More Science Needed on Safety, Effectiveness
- CBD Products Now Available at Hundreds of CVS Stores
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients Get Short Shrift in ERs
- Congress Approves Bill That Legalizes Hemp
- Could CBD Treat Opioid Addiction?
- Docs Prescribe More Opioids at Certain Time of Day
- Many Doctors Refusing Care of People Prescribed Opioids
- Don't Suddenly Stop Taking a Prescribed Opioid, FDA Warns
- Many Drug Abusers Use Family Members to 'Opioid Shop'
- Experimental Drug Shows Early Promise Against Sickle Cell Disease
- Easy Neck Stretches for Tension Relief
- Expert Panel Says Two Back Pain Procedures May Be Useless
- Fatal Opioid ODs Rise as Temperatures Fall
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- FDA Fell Short in Preventing Fentanyl Abuse Crisis, Report Claims
- FDA Grants First Approvals for Generic Versions of Lyrica
- FDA Panel OKs Stronger Opioid Despite Concerns
- FDA to Hold First Public Meeting on CBD
- FDA Warns CBD Product Maker About False Claims
- Fentanyl-Laced Crack Cocaine a Deadly New Threat
- Fewer Opioid Painkillers Can Still Control Surgery Pain
- For Many, Pot Is Now an Alternative to Opioids or Sleep Meds
- Gene Therapy for Sickle Cell Takes Another Step Forward
- Gene Therapy Shows Promise Against Sickle Cell Disease
- He Ate a 'Pot Lollipop' -- and a Heart Attack Soon Followed
- Health Tip: Avoiding Anemia
- Health Tip: Chiropractors and Back Pain
- Health Tip: Dealing with Tendinitis Pain
- Health Tip: Living With a Herniated Disc
- Health Tip: Manage Pain With Opioids
- Health Tip: Preventing a Hernia
- Health Tip: Preventing Carpal Tunnel
- Health Tip: Symptoms of Tennis Elbow
- Health Tip: Think You Have a Broken Toe?
- Health Tip: Treating Short-Term Back Pain
- Health Tip: Treating Whiplash
- Health Tip: What is Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy?
- How to Head Off a Pain in the Neck
- Could Hypnotherapy Be Alternative to Opioids for Pain?
- Runaway Immune System May Play Role in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Insurers' Denials of Opioid Coverage Spurs CDC to Clarify Guidelines
- Kratom Products Have High Levels of Heavy Metals: FDA
- Legalizing Medical Pot Won't Ease Opioid Crisis: Study
- Less Pain, More Car Crashes: Legalized Marijuana a Mixed Bag
- Life in Space May Take Toll on Spinal Muscles
- Little Evidence Pain Creams Work
- Many Americans Eyeing CBD, Pot as Pain Relievers Without Knowing Risks
- Many Medical Marijuana Patients Drive While High
- Many Patients Don't Need Opioids After Surgery
- Medical Marijuana Won't Help Ease Opioid Crisis: Study
- Medical Pot: An Elixir for the Elderly?
- Middle Age Now a High-Risk Time for Bad Falls
- Large Opioid Rx After Heart, Lung Surgery Often Leads to Misuse: Study
- Mixing Marijuana With Opioids May Not Be Good for Mental Health
- More Than 5 Million U.S. Cancer Survivors Deal With Chronic Pain
- Most Hip, Knee Replacements Last Decades, Study Finds
- Nagging Low Back Pain? Try Mindfulness
- Nerve Zap Might Ease Pain of Herniated Disk
- New Law Boosts Fight Against Sickle Cell Disease
- New Nerve Stimulation Technique Might Relieve Back Pain
- New Prosthetic Leg Can Feel Touch, Reduce 'Phantom Limb' Pain
- Next for Disabling Back Pain? New Discs From Patients' Own Cells
- Nurse Practitioners Often Restricted From Prescribing Opioid Treatments
- Another Cost of the Opioid Epidemic: Billions of Dollars in Lost Taxes
- AHA News: Opioid Meds Pose Danger to Kidney Disease Patients
- Opioid Prescriptions Almost Twice as Likely for Rural vs. Urban Americans
- Opioid Rxs Decreasing, But Not for All Doctors
- Opioids May Help Chronic Pain, But Not Much
- Opioids Now More Deadly for Americans Than Traffic Accidents
- Opioids Plus Other Drugs a Deadly Mix for Heavy Users
- Opioids Prescribed in Hospital Often Tied to Long-Term Use
- Pain Relief: When to Use Cold, When to Use Heat
- Physical Therapy Can Help You Avoid Opioids When Joint Pain Strikes
- Purdue Files for Bankruptcy Over Opioid Crisis Suits, With Many States Objecting
- Purdue Pharma Owners Lied About Dangers of OxyContin: Court Filing
- Quantity, Not Type of Opioid Matters for Post-Op Dependency
- Only a Quarter of Opioid Painkillers Taken After Most Surgeries
- What Are the Risks of Pain Relief Alternatives to Opioids?
- Scientists Spot Unexpected Player in Fibromyalgia
- Another Study Casts Doubt on Safety of Herbal Drug Kratom
- The Alexander Technique: What Could It Do for You?
- The Merits of Physical Therapy
- The Safer Way to Ease Post-Surgical Pain
- Trial Tests CRISPR Gene-Editing to Treat Sickle Cell Disease
- U.S. Opioid Overdose Deaths Reach New Record
- U.S. Opioid Prescription Rate Is 7 Times That of Sweden
- Upbeat Attitude May Be a Pain Fighter
- Vets Who Get Opioids From VA, Medicare at Higher Overdose Risk
- WHO Opioid Guidelines Too Lax: U.S. Lawmakers
- Why Do More and More Americans Use Medical Marijuana?
- Woman Feels No Pain, Thanks to Her Genes
- Workers' Comp Often a Gateway to Opioid Abuse: Study
- Young Adults Growing 'Horns' Due to Smartphone Use: Researchers
- Aches, Pains Predict Rain?
- Aging: Baby Boomer Pain Relief
- Aspirin FAQ
- Back Aches: Fighting Back
- Back Injuries - Do Back Belts Help?
- Back Pain Tips: Help With Housework
- Back Pain: Medication and Addiction
- Christopher Reeve's Legacy of Research
- Living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Chronic Illness: What Goes Wrong
- Chronic Pain: Does Vitamin D Help?
- Chronic Pain: Living With Pain
- Chronic Pain: Specific References for Chronic Pain
- FDA Oxycontin
- Living with Fibromyalgia, Drugs Approved to Manage Pain
- Fibromyalgia: The Diet Connection
- Is Less-Invasive Hip Replacement Best for You?
- Low Back Pain Shouldn't Sideline You
- Low Back Pain: Alternative Therapies
- Lyrica FAQ
- OxyContin (oxycodone) Questions and Answers
- Pain and Multiple Sclerosis
- Pain in the Backpack
- Pain Management and Intimacy
- Pain Relief Without Pills
- Pain, Pain, Float Away
- Pain: When Pain Is All You Have
- Prescription Pain Relievers Can Kill You
- Repetitive Strain Injury Treatment
- Running: Back on Track
- Sleeping Easier with Back Pain
- Arthritis:Taking Charge of Fibromyalgia
- Temporomandibular disorder (TMD): Mysteries of TMD
- Chronic Pain: The Attraction of Magnet Therapy
- Chronic Pain: The Cost of Pain
- Plumbing the Pits of Despair with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Chronic Pain: The Price Tag on Pain
- The Truth About Urine
- Chronic Pain: Thinking Pain Away
- Back Pain: VAX-D: Treating Without Surgery
- Work: How to Handle a Chronic Illness at Work