Trending Chronic Pain Topics
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to acute pain that arises suddenly in response to a specific injury and is usually treatable, chronic pain persists over time and is often resistant to medical treatments.
Watch this slideshow about fibromyalgia (fibrositis) with pictures about this chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints. Learn symptoms (pain, fatigue, tension headaches) and find treatment through exercise, patient education, medication, and stress reduction.
Related Disease Conditions
Ankle pain is commonly due to a sprain or tendinitis. The severity of ankle sprains ranges from mild (which can resolve within...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which irritation of the wrist's median nerve causes tingling and numbness of the thumb,...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Second Source article from Government...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Coccydynia (Tailbone Pain)
Coccydynia is an inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks. Coccydynia is associated with...
Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica
Degenerative disc disease makes the disc more susceptible to herniation (rupture) which can lead to localized or radiating pain....
Direct vs. Indirect Hernia
Direct and indirect hernia are both inguinal hernias. Both types of hernias may cause a visible bulge in the groin area. Weakness...
Dislocated Ankle (Ankle Dislocation)
Symptoms and signs of a dislocated ankle include pain, swelling, bruising, ankle deformity, and possible numbness and tingling in...
Elbow pain is most often the result of tendinitis, which can affect the inner or outer elbow. Treatment includes ice, rest, and...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Second Source article from WebMD...
Second Source article from Government...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Foot pain may be caused by injuries (sprains, strains, bruises, and fractures), diseases (diabetes, Hansen disease, and gout),...
A frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) is when the shoulder joint experiences a significant loss in its range of motion due to...
Heel spurs -- pointed, bony outgrowths of the heel -- are caused by localized soft-tissue inflammation and can be located at the...
A hernia occurs when an organ or piece of tissue protrudes from the space in which it is normally contained. Symptoms of a hernia...
A herniated disc may be caused by injury or degeneration from age. Symptoms depend on the location of the herniation and whether...
Arthritis, bursitis, IT band syndrome, fracture, and strain are just some of the causes of hip pain. Associated symptoms and...
Impingement syndrome is a condition that affects the shoulder. Symptoms include pain with overhead use of the arm, difficulty...
Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
Lumbar stenosis can be caused by degenerative arthritis (the most common cause), tumor, infection, or metabolic disorders...
A Morton's neuroma is an inflamed nerve between the bones at the ball of the foot. Symptoms include a burning, sharp pain on the...
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with...
Muscle Pain (Myofascial Pain Syndrome)
Muscle spasms are involuntary muscle contractions that come on suddenly and are usually quite painful. Dehydration, doing...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Pain Management: Musculoskeletal Pain
Natural menopause is the permanent ending of menstruation that is not brought on by any type of medical treatment. For women...
A pinched nerve causes pain, numbness, or tingling in the affected area due to pressure on a nerve. Caral tunnel and sciatica are...
Piriformis syndrome may develop if the piriformis muscle spasms and compresses the sciatic nerve. This causes buttock pain that...
Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a disorder of the muscles and joints that causes pain and stiffness in the arms, neck, shoulders,...
Radiculopathy, a condition in which a nerve or nerves along the spine are compressed causing pain, numbness, weakenss, and...
Rotator Cuff Disease
Rotator cuff disease is damage to any of the four tendons that stabilize the shoulder joint. Shoulder pain and tenderness are...
Sciatica pain, caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve, typically radiates from the low back to behind the thigh to below the...
Shin splints result from inflammation from injury to the tendon and adjacent tissues in the front of the outer leg. Shin splints...
Shoulder and Neck Pain
Shoulder and neck pain may be caused by bursitis, a pinched nerve, whiplash, tendinitis, a herniated disc, or a rotator cuff...
Sickle Cell Disease (Sickle Cell Anemia)
Sickle cell anemia (sickle cell disease), a blood disease which shortens life expectancy, is cause by an inherited abnormal...
Spinal Cord Injury
Second Source article from Government...
Spinal Cord Injury: Treatments and Rehabilitation
When vertebrae are broken or dislocated, the result can cause traumatic injury to the spinal cord. A spinal cord injury can have...
Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome is a disorder that causes symptoms like pain, clicking, and popping of the jaw. TMJ is...
Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
Tennis elbow is also known as lateral epicondylitis. Symptoms of tennis elbow include tenderness and dull pain of the outer...
Urinary retention (inability to urinate) may be caused by nerve disease, spinal cord injury, prostate enlargement, infection,...
Urinary Tract Infection in Adults
Second Source article from Government...
Whiplash is a common injury to a person's neck following a car accident (in most cases). Symptoms include: headache, neck...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Back Pain: Find Relief, Treat Your Back Pain
Back pain conditions are very common. Learn the truth and get the facts behind myths, remedies, causes and treatment for back...
Back Pain Quiz: Test Your Back Pain IQ
There are numerous causes of chronic lower back pain and only one ailment gets more complaints. What is it? Quiz your knowledge...
Back Pain: Tips for Traveling When You Have Back Pain
Don't let back or other pain keep you from your travel adventures. Try these tips to minimize discomfort during your next flight...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Pictures: Anatomy, Where It Hurts, and More
Could the pain in your hand be carpal tunnel syndrome? Watch this slideshow to learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Who is more affected by carpal tunnel syndrome: Men or women? Take the Carpal Tunnel Quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, and...
Abdominal Pain: Common Causes of Stomach Pain in Children
Abdominal pain in children can be more than just a tummy ache. What are the common causes of abdominal pain in children? Learn...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
Chronic Pain Syndrome: Treatment and Management for CPS
What is chronic pain syndrome (CPS)? See causes, symptoms and treatment options including medications. Learn about pain...
Fibromyalgia Treatments and Tips to Ease Pain and Other Symptoms
What is fibromyalgia? Learn about fibromyalgia symptoms such as trigger points (also called tender points), learn what causes...
Fibromyalgia Pain Relief With Stretching and Strength Exercises in Pictures
Living with fibromyalgia is painful. By making simple exercise modifications, you can boost your energy, decrease pain and...
Picture of Fibromyalgia
A syndrome characterized by chronic pain, stiffness, and tenderness of muscles, tendons, and joints without detectable...
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Fibromyalgia Quiz: What Is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia could be the reason for your constant, deep bodily pain. Learn more about this painful condition with the...
11 Exercises for Lower Back Pain Relief
One of the best low back pain treatments is exercise. Learn more about low back pain exercises--what works, and what doesn't....
Picture of Hammertoes
A hammertoe is a toe that is bent because of a weakened muscle. See a picture of Hammertoes and learn more about the health topic....
Healthy Living: How to Listen to Your Body
You've probably heard your body trying to tell you something after a session at the gym, but what was it? WebMD helps you sort...
Leg Pain: Causes and Treatment for Leg, Calf, and Thigh Pain
Leg, calf and thigh pain are symptoms of conditions that may involve the muscles, nerves, and more. Sensations like tingling,...
Low Back Pain: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Relief
Do you suffer from low back pain? Watch this slideshow to see common triggers of lower back pain and what kind of treatments you...
Nerve Pain: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment Options
Learn about nerve pain symptoms, causes, and treatment options. Discover medications, treatments, and natural remedies that can...
Pain Management: Knee Pain Dos and Don'ts
Your knees go through a lot in the course of a day, and sometimes they can run into trouble. Here are a few things you can do...
Pain Quiz: Test Your IQ of Pain
Is pain all in the brain? Take the Pain Quiz to learn everything you've ever wanted to know about the unpleasant sensation we...
Pain Management: Surprising Causes of Pain
What’s causing your pain? Learn the common causes of lower back pain, as well as pain in the knee, stomach, kidney, shoulder,...
Pain Management: 15 Easy Ways to Reduce Chronic Pain
Chronic pain can be a symptom of many conditions, including arthritis, headaches, and others. Comprehensive pain management...
Rotator Cuff Tear: Symptoms, Causes, and Surgery
Learn about a rotator cuff tear. What could it mean if you have rotator cuff pain? Explore rotator cuff tear symptoms, causes,...
Sciatica Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
Sciatica pain radiates from the lower back toward the feet. Sciatica may feel like a cramp in the leg, burning, tingling, pins...
How Does Acupuncture Work? Benefits, Needles, Definition
What is acupuncture? How does acupuncture work? Does acupuncture hurt? Learn various acupuncture points, the definition of...
Picture of Slipped Disc
Rupturing of the tissue that separates the vertebral bones of the spinal column. See a picture of Slipped Disc and learn more...
Worst Shoes for Your Foot Health and Beauty With Pictures
Stilettos, platforms or flip-flops...which are the worst shoes for your feet? See how some of the hottest styles can be torture...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Back: 10 Health Tips for Autumn Leaves Clean-Up
- Doctors Answer Pain Questions
- Can UCTD Turn into Lupus?
- Can You Use Methadone for Back Pain?
- Chondromalacia: What Makes Knee Pain Worse?
- Common Hernia Treatments
- Can Cymbalta Help Nerve Damage in the Spine?
- Fibromyalgia: 2004 Perspectives
- Fibromyalgia - Arthritis Meeting 2003
- Fibromyalgia: 3 Things to Do
- Fibromyalgia Treatments Without Drugs
- Fibromyalgia 2002 Arthritis Conference Report
- What Are the 9 Types of Hernia?
- Herniated Disc - Epidural Cortisone Injections
- Fibromyalgia Treatment...Methods Using Available Medicines
- Sidelined by a Dislocated Shoulder
- How to Get Rid of Constipation
- Knee Pain Causes
- Pain (Acute and Chronic)
- Pain Management Over-The-Counter
- Can Paxil Treat Fibromyalgia Pain?
- Phantom Limb Pain: Mirror Therapy Treatment
- Fibromyalgia - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Do I need Rehab to Quit Oxycontin for Chronic Pain?
- Sciatica Pain Vs. Fibromyalgia Pain: What Are The Differences?
- Sickle Trait and Sickle Cell Disease
- Spinal Cord Injury: C4 Is a Crucial Level
- TMJ Symptoms
- What Is the Treatment for Peripheral Neuropathy?
- Vertebroplasty Treatment For Spine Fractures
- Tiger Woods: Stress Fracture and Torn ACL
- What Is Breakthrough Pain?
- Hammer Toe
- Why Am I So Tired? The Many Causes of Fatigue
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- Acetaminophen vs. Ibuprofen for Pain (Differences in Side Effects and Dosage)
- Aleve (naproxen) vs. Celebrex (celecoxib)
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- Baclofen vs. Flexeril (Side Effects and Interactions)
- Benzodiazepines vs. Narcotics (Opioids)
- codeine (for Pain)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale, Blowball, Lion's Teeth)
- dipyridamole - oral, Persantine
- fentanyl patch (Duragesic)
- Gabapentin vs. Baclofen
- Gabapentin vs. Tramadol
- hydrocodone and ibuprofen, Vicoprofen
- Hydrocodone vs. Hydromorphone (Differences between Side Effects)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Vicodin, Norco)
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- Ibuprofen vs. Meloxicam (Mobic) for Pain
- ketoprofen (Discontinued brands: Nexcede, Orudis, Oruvail, Actron)
- meperidine - injection, Demerol
- metaxalone, Skelaxin
- methadone, Dolophine, Methadone HCl Intensol, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free
- milnacipran, Savella
- morphine extended-release capsule - oral, Avinza
- Pain Medications (Narcotics)
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- orphenadrine (Norflex)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- propoxyphene and acetaminophen, Darvocet A500; Darvocet-N, Wygesic
- Skelaxin vs. Baclofen
- tramadol and acetaminophen, Ultracet
Prevention & Wellness
- 1 in 12 Americans Lives With Debilitating Chronic Pain
- A New Challenger to Medical Marijuana?
- Addictive Opioids Still Overprescribed After Surgery: Study
- An Expert's Guide to Avoiding Back Pain
- Anti-seizure Meds Won't Ease Low Back Pain
- Are Pricey Orthotic Insoles Worth It for Heel Pain?
- Backbreaking Work May Shorten Men's Lives
- Blood Type May Play Role in Death Risk After Trauma
- Health Tip: When To Call Your Doctor If You Have Lower Back Pain
- Chiropractic Has Role to Play in Easing Lower Back Pain: Study
- Chronic Pain Common Among Those Who OD on Opioids
- Chronic Pain May Drive Some to Suicide
- Chronic Pain Patients Ask FDA to Ease Opioid Prescribing Restrictions
- Could a Placebo Pill Help Ease Your Back Pain?
- Could Botox Cousin Combat the Opioid Epidemic?
- Could Medical Pot Help Curb the Opioid Abuse Crisis?
- U.S. Courts, Jails Could Be Key Players in Curbing Opioid Abuse
- Cutting Out Gluten May Help Some Battle Nerve Pain
- Despite Opioid Crisis, Most Patients Want the Drugs for Post-Op Pain
- Doctors Curbing First-Time Prescriptions for Opioids
- Doctors Write Fewer Opioid Scripts After Learning of Overdose Death
- Don't Blame Obamacare for the Opioid Crisis: Study
- Drug May Help Surgical Patients Stop Opioids Sooner
- Electrical Pulses May Ease Pain From 'Slipped' Disc
- ER Docs Prescribe More Opioids Than They Realize
- Fake CBD Oil Sickens 52 People in Utah
- Fatal Opioid ODs Drop for People Treated While Jailed
- FDA Approves First Non-Opioid for Withdrawal
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- FDA Panel OKs Stronger Opioid Despite Concerns
- Fentanyl-Laced Crack Cocaine a Deadly New Threat
- First Ketamine Guidelines for Pain Released
- For Pain Relief, Why Not Try Drug-Free Alternatives
- Former U.S. House Speaker Boehner Now Backs Marijuana Legalization, Joins Cannabis Company Board
- Government Rules Aimed at Curbing Opioid Prescriptions May Have Backfired
- Have Insurers Played a Role in Opioid Crisis?
- Health Tip: Change Poor Posture
- Health Tip: Prevent Back Pain at Work
- Health Tip: Repairing Your Hernia
- Health Tip: Sit and Stand Up Straight
- Health Tip: Think You Have a Broken Toe?
- Herbal Drug Kratom Contains Opioids, FDA Says
- Monkey Trials Raise Hope for Non-Addictive Opioid Alternative
- Hospitals Should, and Could, Avoid IV Opioids: Study
- How to Avoid Opioid Addiction After Surgery
- Is Herbal Drug Kratom a Health Friend or Foe?
- Is That iPad a Pain in the Neck?
- Health Tip: Know the Risk Factors for Lower Back Pain
- Long-Term Opioid Use Down Among U.S. Vets: Study
- Low Back Pain? These Exercises May Help
- Majority in U.S. Support Medical Pot, Think It Could Fight Opioid Crisis
- Millions Get Wrong Treatment for Back Pain: Study
- Mindfulness May Be a Buffer Against Pain
- More Opioid Users Getting Treatment Since Medicaid Expansion
- Most Seniors Uninformed on Opioid Use
- Naloxone Nasal Spray Works Best to Stop Opioid OD: Study
- New DNA-Based Test Approved to Help Verify Blood Compatibility
- New Nerve Stimulation Technique Might Relieve Back Pain
- New Treatment Approved for Opioid Dependence
- 'No Documented Reason' for 1 in 3 Outpatient Opioid Rxs: Study
- Non-Opioids Often Underused After Back Surgery
- Older Americans Support Medical Marijuana: Poll
- Opioid Abuse Rises When Prescriptions Are Renewed
- As Opioid Epidemic Rages, Painkiller Prescriptions Don't Drop
- Opioid Makers' Perks to Docs Tied to More Prescriptions
- Opioids Before Joint Replacement Tied to Worse Recovery
- Opioids Not Best Option for Back Pain, Arthritis, Study Finds
- Opium Poppy Genome Research May Aid Painkiller Production
- The Other Opioid Crisis: Shortages at U.S. Hospitals
- Overcoming Fear of Back Pain May Spur Recovery
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Brain Scans Suggest Pain of Fibromyalgia Isn't Imaginary
- Patients OK With Fewer Opioids After Gallbladder Surgery
- Patients on Opioids OK With Lower Doses
- Patients React Poorly When Docs Say 'No'
- Only a Quarter of Opioid Painkillers Taken After Most Surgeries
- Reports Warn of Growing Opioid Crisis Among Seniors
- Resetting E-Prescriptions for Opioids Helps Curb Use: Study
- Risky Prescribing Boosts Opioid Death Risk
- Safety Info for Opioids Found Lacking
- Some Pain Patients Can Cut Opioid Dose and Still Get Relief
- Sprained Ankle? Opioid Rx More Likely in Some States Than Others
- States Struggle With Onslaught of Opioid OD Deaths
- Opioid Maker Stops Marketing the Painkillers to Doctors
- Study Gets to the Core of Back Pain in Runners
- Supplement May Ease the Pain of Sickle Cell Disease
- Surgeons Recommend Fewer Opioid Pills After Nose Jobs
- Tai Chi Beats Aerobics for Fibromyalgia Pain
- The Latest on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Trump Carried Counties With High Opioid Use: Study
- U.S. Opioid Overdose Deaths Reach New Record
- Warning Letters Target Illegal Online Sales of Opioid Meds: FDA
- When DEA Cracked Down on Opioids, Abusers Moved to Black Market: Study
- Where Are Opioid Painkillers Prescribed the Most?
- Woman Dies From Bee Sting Acupuncture
- Workers' Comp Often a Gateway to Opioid Abuse: Study
- 10 Warning Signs of Prescription Painkiller Dependency
- Aches, Pains Predict Rain?
- Aging: Baby Boomer Pain Relief
- Aspirin FAQ
- Back Aches: Fighting Back
- Back Injuries - Do Back Belts Help?
- Back Pain Tips: Help With Housework
- Back Pain: Medication and Addiction
- Back Pain: Work and Back Health
- Christopher Reeve's Legacy of Research
- Living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Chronic Illness: What Goes Wrong
- Chronic Pain: Does Vitamin D Help?
- Chronic Pain: Living With Pain
- Chronic Pain: Specific References for Chronic Pain
- FDA Oxycontin
- Living with Fibromyalgia, Drugs Approved to Manage Pain
- Fibromyalgia: The Diet Connection
- Is Less-Invasive Hip Replacement Best for You?
- Living with Chronic Pain
- Low Back Pain Shouldn't Sideline You
- Low Back Pain: Alternative Therapies
- Lyrica FAQ
- OxyContin (oxycodone) Questions and Answers
- Pain and Multiple Sclerosis
- Pain Control Record Chart
- Pain in the Backpack
- Pain Management and Intimacy
- Pain Relief Without Pills
- Pain, Pain, Float Away
- Pain: When Pain Is All You Have
- Patient Care Ergonomics
- Prescription Pain Relievers Can Kill You
- Repetitive Strain Injury Treatment
- Running: Back on Track
- Sleeping Easier with Back Pain
- Arthritis:Taking Charge of Fibromyalgia
- Temporomandibular disorder (TMD): Mysteries of TMD
- Chronic Pain: The Attraction of Magnet Therapy
- Chronic Pain: The Cost of Pain
- Plumbing the Pits of Despair with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Chronic Pain: The Price Tag on Pain
- The Truth About Urine
- Chronic Pain: Thinking Pain Away
- Back Pain: VAX-D: Treating Without Surgery
- Work: How to Handle a Chronic Illness at Work