Trending Chronic Pain Topics
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to acute pain that arises suddenly in response to a specific injury and is usually treatable, chronic pain persists over time and is often resistant to medical treatments.
Watch this slideshow about fibromyalgia (fibrositis) with pictures about this chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints. Learn symptoms (pain, fatigue, tension headaches) and find treatment through exercise, patient education, medication, and stress reduction.
Related Disease Conditions
Ankle pain is commonly due to a sprain or tendinitis. The severity of ankle sprains ranges from mild (which can resolve within...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which irritation of the wrist's median nerve causes tingling and numbness of the thumb,...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Second Source article from Government...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Coccydynia (Tailbone Pain)
Coccydynia is an inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks. Coccydynia is associated with...
Cupping is a type of traditional Chinese medicine that stimulates the flow of chi (qi, or energy) within the body. There are a...
Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica
Degenerative disc disease makes the disc more susceptible to herniation (rupture) which can lead to localized or radiating pain....
Direct vs. Indirect Hernia
Direct and indirect hernia are both inguinal hernias. Both types of hernias may cause a visible bulge in the groin area. Weakness...
Dislocated Ankle (Ankle Dislocation)
Symptoms and signs of a dislocated ankle include pain, swelling, bruising, ankle deformity, and possible numbness and tingling in...
Elbow pain is most often the result of tendinitis, which can affect the inner or outer elbow. Treatment includes ice, rest, and...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Second Source article from WebMD...
Second Source article from Government...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Foot pain may be caused by injuries (sprains, strains, bruises, and fractures), diseases (diabetes, Hansen disease, and gout),...
A frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) is when the shoulder joint experiences a significant loss in its range of motion due to...
Heel spurs -- pointed, bony outgrowths of the heel -- are caused by localized soft-tissue inflammation and can be located at the...
A hernia occurs when an organ or piece of tissue protrudes from the space in which it is normally contained. Symptoms of a hernia...
A herniated disc may be caused by injury or degeneration from age. Symptoms depend on the location of the herniation and whether...
Arthritis, bursitis, IT band syndrome, fracture, and strain are just some of the causes of hip pain. Associated symptoms and...
Impingement syndrome is a condition that affects the shoulder. Symptoms include pain with overhead use of the arm, difficulty...
Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
Lumbar stenosis can be caused by degenerative arthritis (the most common cause), tumor, infection, or metabolic disorders...
A Morton's neuroma is an inflamed nerve between the bones at the ball of the foot. Symptoms include a burning, sharp pain on the...
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with...
Muscle Pain (Myofascial Pain Syndrome)
Muscle spasms are involuntary muscle contractions that come on suddenly and are usually quite painful. Dehydration, doing...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Pain Management: Musculoskeletal Pain
Natural menopause is the permanent ending of menstruation that is not brought on by any type of medical treatment. For women...
A pinched nerve causes pain, numbness, or tingling in the affected area due to pressure on a nerve. Caral tunnel and sciatica are...
Piriformis syndrome may develop if the piriformis muscle spasms and compresses the sciatic nerve. This causes buttock pain that...
Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a disorder of the muscles and joints that causes pain and stiffness in the arms, neck, shoulders,...
Radiculopathy, a condition in which a nerve or nerves along the spine are compressed causing pain, numbness, weakenss, and...
Rotator Cuff Disease
Rotator cuff disease is damage to any of the four tendons that stabilize the shoulder joint. Shoulder pain and tenderness are...
Sciatica pain, caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve, typically radiates from the low back to behind the thigh to below the...
Shin splints result from inflammation from injury to the tendon and adjacent tissues in the front of the outer leg. Shin splints...
Shoulder and Neck Pain
Shoulder and neck pain may be caused by bursitis, a pinched nerve, whiplash, tendinitis, a herniated disc, or a rotator cuff...
Sickle Cell Disease (Sickle Cell Anemia)
Sickle cell anemia (sickle cell disease), a blood disease which shortens life expectancy, is cause by an inherited abnormal...
Spinal Cord Injury
Second Source article from Government...
Spinal Cord Injury: Treatments and Rehabilitation
When vertebrae are broken or dislocated, the result can cause traumatic injury to the spinal cord. A spinal cord injury can have...
Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome is a disorder that causes symptoms like pain, clicking, and popping of the jaw. TMJ is...
Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
Tennis elbow is also known as lateral epicondylitis. Symptoms of tennis elbow include tenderness and dull pain of the outer...
Urinary retention (inability to urinate) may be caused by nerve disease, spinal cord injury, prostate enlargement, infection,...
Urinary Tract Infection in Adults
Second Source article from Government...
Whiplash is a common injury to a person's neck following a car accident (in most cases). Symptoms include: headache, neck...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Back Pain: Find Relief, Treat Your Back Pain
Back pain conditions are very common. Learn the truth and get the facts behind myths, remedies, causes and treatment for back...
Back Pain Quiz: Test Your Back Pain IQ
There are numerous causes of chronic lower back pain and only one ailment gets more complaints. What is it? Quiz your knowledge...
Back Pain: Tips for Traveling When You Have Back Pain
Don't let back or other pain keep you from your travel adventures. Try these tips to minimize discomfort during your next flight...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Pictures: Anatomy, Where It Hurts, and More
Could the pain in your hand be carpal tunnel syndrome? Watch this slideshow to learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Who is more affected by carpal tunnel syndrome: Men or women? Take the Carpal Tunnel Quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, and...
Abdominal Pain: Common Causes of Stomach Pain in Children
Abdominal pain in children can be more than just a tummy ache. What are the common causes of abdominal pain in children? Learn...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
Chronic Pain Syndrome: Treatment and Management for CPS
What is chronic pain syndrome (CPS)? See causes, symptoms and treatment options including medications. Learn about pain...
Fibromyalgia Treatments and Tips to Ease Pain and Other Symptoms
What is fibromyalgia? Learn about fibromyalgia symptoms such as trigger points (also called tender points), learn what causes...
Fibromyalgia Pain Relief With Stretching and Strength Exercises in Pictures
Living with fibromyalgia is painful. By making simple exercise modifications, you can boost your energy, decrease pain and...
Picture of Fibromyalgia
A syndrome characterized by chronic pain, stiffness, and tenderness of muscles, tendons, and joints without detectable...
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Fibromyalgia Quiz: What Is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia could be the reason for your constant, deep bodily pain. Learn more about this painful condition with the...
11 Exercises for Lower Back Pain Relief
One of the best low back pain treatments is exercise. Learn more about low back pain exercises--what works, and what doesn't....
Picture of Hammertoes
A hammertoe is a toe that is bent because of a weakened muscle. See a picture of Hammertoes and learn more about the health topic....
Healthy Living: How to Listen to Your Body
You've probably heard your body trying to tell you something after a session at the gym, but what was it? WebMD helps you sort...
Leg Pain: Causes and Treatment for Leg, Calf, and Thigh Pain
Leg, calf and thigh pain are symptoms of conditions that may involve the muscles, nerves, and more. Sensations like tingling,...
Low Back Pain: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Relief
Do you suffer from low back pain? Watch this slideshow to see common triggers of lower back pain and what kind of treatments you...
Nerve Pain: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment Options
Learn about nerve pain symptoms, causes, and treatment options. Discover medications, treatments, and natural remedies that can...
Pain Management: Knee Pain Dos and Don'ts
Your knees go through a lot in the course of a day, and sometimes they can run into trouble. Here are a few things you can do...
Pain Quiz: Test Your IQ of Pain
Is pain all in the brain? Take the Pain Quiz to learn everything you've ever wanted to know about the unpleasant sensation we...
Pain Management: Surprising Causes of Pain
What’s causing your pain? Learn the common causes of lower back pain, as well as pain in the knee, stomach, kidney, shoulder,...
Pain Management: 15 Easy Ways to Reduce Chronic Pain
Chronic pain can be a symptom of many conditions, including arthritis, headaches, and others. Comprehensive pain management...
Rotator Cuff Tear: Symptoms, Causes, and Surgery
Learn about a rotator cuff tear. What could it mean if you have rotator cuff pain? Explore rotator cuff tear symptoms, causes,...
Sciatica Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
Sciatica pain radiates from the lower back toward the feet. Sciatica may feel like a cramp in the leg, burning, tingling, pins...
How Does Acupuncture Work? Benefits, Needles, Definition
What is acupuncture? How does acupuncture work? Does acupuncture hurt? Learn various acupuncture points, the definition of...
Picture of Slipped Disc
Rupturing of the tissue that separates the vertebral bones of the spinal column. See a picture of Slipped Disc and learn more...
Worst Shoes for Your Foot Health and Beauty With Pictures
Stilettos, platforms or flip-flops...which are the worst shoes for your feet? See how some of the hottest styles can be torture...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Back: 10 Health Tips for Autumn Leaves Clean-Up
- Doctors Answer Pain Questions
- Can UCTD Turn into Lupus?
- Can You Use Methadone for Back Pain?
- Chondromalacia: What Makes Knee Pain Worse?
- Common Hernia Treatments
- Can Cymbalta Help Nerve Damage in the Spine?
- Fibromyalgia: 2004 Perspectives
- Fibromyalgia - Arthritis Meeting 2003
- Fibromyalgia: 3 Things to Do
- Fibromyalgia Treatments Without Drugs
- Fibromyalgia 2002 Arthritis Conference Report
- What Are the 9 Types of Hernia?
- Herniated Disc - Epidural Cortisone Injections
- Fibromyalgia Treatment...Methods Using Available Medicines
- Sidelined by a Dislocated Shoulder
- How to Get Rid of Constipation
- Knee Pain Causes
- Pain (Acute and Chronic)
- Pain Management Over-The-Counter
- Can Paxil Treat Fibromyalgia Pain?
- Phantom Limb Pain: Mirror Therapy Treatment
- Fibromyalgia - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Do I need Rehab to Quit Oxycontin for Chronic Pain?
- Sciatica Pain Vs. Fibromyalgia Pain: What Are The Differences?
- Sickle Trait and Sickle Cell Disease
- Spinal Cord Injury: C4 Is a Crucial Level
- TMJ Symptoms
- What Is the Treatment for Peripheral Neuropathy?
- Vertebroplasty Treatment For Spine Fractures
- Tiger Woods: Stress Fracture and Torn ACL
- What Is Breakthrough Pain?
- Hammer Toe
- Why Am I So Tired? The Many Causes of Fatigue
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- Acetaminophen vs. Ibuprofen for Pain (Differences in Side Effects and Dosage)
- Aleve (naproxen) vs. Celebrex (celecoxib)
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- Baclofen vs. Flexeril (Side Effects and Interactions)
- codeine (for Pain)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale, Blowball, Lion's Teeth)
- dipyridamole - oral, Persantine
- fentanyl patch (Duragesic)
- Gabapentin vs. Baclofen
- Gabapentin vs. Tramadol
- hydrocodone and ibuprofen, Vicoprofen
- Hydrocodone vs. Hydromorphone (Differences between Side Effects)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen, Vicodin, Vicodin ES, Vicodin HP, Anexsia, Lortab, Lorcet, Lorcet Plus, No
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Dilaudid-HP Injection, Exalgo) for Pain
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- Ibuprofen vs. Meloxicam (Mobic) for Pain
- ketoprofen (Discontinued brands: Nexcede, Orudis, Oruvail, Actron)
- meperidine - injection, Demerol
- metaxalone, Skelaxin
- methadone, Dolophine, Methadone HCl Intensol, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free
- milnacipran, Savella
- morphine extended-release capsule - oral, Avinza
- Narcotic Pain Medications (Opioids, Analgesics, Narcotics)
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- orphenadrine (Norflex)
- Oxycodone: for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta)
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone: Which Is Better for Pain?
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- propoxyphene and acetaminophen, Darvocet A500; Darvocet-N, Wygesic
- Skelaxin vs. Baclofen
- tramadol and acetaminophen, Ultracet
Prevention & Wellness
- 'Smart' Underwear May Help Prevent Back Pain
- Senator Wants Law Changed After 60 Minutes Story on Opioid Crisis
- Addictive Opioids Common for People on Dialysis
- Addictive Opioids Still Overprescribed After Surgery: Study
- Anti-seizure Meds Won't Ease Low Back Pain
- Are Pricey Orthotic Insoles Worth It for Heel Pain?
- Around the World, Too Little Relief for Pain
- Backbreaking Work May Shorten Men's Lives
- Blood Proteins Linked to Severity of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Blood Type May Play Role in Death Risk After Trauma
- Health Tip: When To Call Your Doctor If You Have Lower Back Pain
- Chiropractic Has Role to Play in Easing Lower Back Pain: Study
- Chronic Pain Common Among Those Who OD on Opioids
- Chronic Pain Patients Ask FDA to Ease Opioid Prescribing Restrictions
- Cigna Says No to OxyContin
- Could Botox Cousin Combat the Opioid Epidemic?
- Could Medical Pot Help Curb the Opioid Abuse Crisis?
- U.S. Courts, Jails Could Be Key Players in Curbing Opioid Abuse
- Cutting Out Gluten May Help Some Battle Nerve Pain
- CVS to Restrict Opioid Painkiller Prescription Amounts
- Doctors Curbing First-Time Prescriptions for Opioids
- Doctors Still Overprescribing Opioids in U.S.
- Drug May Help Surgical Patients Stop Opioids Sooner
- Electrical Pulses May Ease Pain From 'Slipped' Disc
- ER Docs Prescribe More Opioids Than They Realize
- ERs Prescribing Opioids at Lower Doses, Shorter Durations
- Fake CBD Oil Sickens 52 People in Utah
- Fatal Opioid ODs Drop for People Treated While Jailed
- FDA Approves First Non-Opioid for Withdrawal
- First Ketamine Guidelines for Pain Released
- Former U.S. House Speaker Boehner Now Backs Marijuana Legalization, Joins Cannabis Company Board
- Have Insurers Played a Role in Opioid Crisis?
- Health Tip: Adapting After Hip Replacement
- Health Tip: Identify Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue
- Health Tip: Repairing Your Hernia
- Health Tip: Sit and Stand Up Straight
- Herbal Drug Kratom Contains Opioids, FDA Says
- Hernia Patients May Need Fewer Opioids After Surgery, Study Finds
- Hospitals Not to Blame for Most Opioid Addiction: Study
- Hospitals Should, and Could, Avoid IV Opioids: Study
- How Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Wears Patients Out
- How to Avoid Opioid Addiction After Surgery
- Is Herbal Drug Kratom a Health Friend or Foe?
- Is That iPad a Pain in the Neck?
- Lady Gaga Has Fibromyalgia
- Lady Gaga's Fibromyalgia Puts Illness in the Spotlight
- Long-Term Opioid Use Down Among U.S. Vets: Study
- Longer Prescriptions Make Opioid Abuse More Likely: Study
- As Many as 1 in 3 Experience New or Worse Pain With Yoga
- Marijuana May Help Ease Nerve Pain, Review Finds
- Medicare Could Do More to Stem Opioid Epidemic
- Millions Get Wrong Treatment for Back Pain: Study
- New Surgery May Fix Tough-to-Treat Rotator Cuff Tears
- Non-Opioids Often Underused After Back Surgery
- Obese Don't Have to Lose Weight Before Joint Replacement: Study
- Older Americans Support Medical Marijuana: Poll
- Opioid Abuse Rises When Prescriptions Are Renewed
- Opioid Makers' Perks to Docs Tied to More Prescriptions
- Opioids Not Best Option for Back Pain, Arthritis, Study Finds
- Opioids Not the Only Answer for Pain Relief in the ER
- Study Finds Options to Opioid Use After Knee Surgery
- The Other Opioid Crisis: Shortages at U.S. Hospitals
- Overcoming Fear of Back Pain May Spur Recovery
- Patients OK With Fewer Opioids After Gallbladder Surgery
- Patients on Opioids OK With Lower Doses
- Patients React Poorly When Docs Say 'No'
- Post-Op Opioids: How Much Is Enough?
- Makers of Quick-Release Opioid Painkillers Must Provide Doctor Training
- Resetting E-Prescriptions for Opioids Helps Curb Use: Study
- Risky Prescribing Boosts Opioid Death Risk
- Early Rotator Cuff Surgery Helps Return to Activity
- Safety Info for Opioids Found Lacking
- Some Pain Patients Can Cut Opioid Dose and Still Get Relief
- Health Tip: Spread Awareness of the Opioid Epidemic
- Opioid Maker Stops Marketing the Painkillers to Doctors
- Study Gets to the Core of Back Pain in Runners
- Supplement May Ease the Pain of Sickle Cell Disease
- Tai Chi Beats Aerobics for Fibromyalgia Pain
- The Latest on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Top Anti-Opioid Meds Are Equally Safe, Effective
- Trump Carried Counties With High Opioid Use: Study
- When DEA Cracked Down on Opioids, Abusers Moved to Black Market: Study
- Where Are Opioid Painkillers Prescribed the Most?
- Woman Dies From Bee Sting Acupuncture
- 10 Warning Signs of Prescription Painkiller Dependency
- Aches, Pains Predict Rain?
- Aging: Baby Boomer Pain Relief
- Aspirin FAQ
- Back Aches: Fighting Back
- Back Injuries - Do Back Belts Help?
- Back Pain Tips: Help With Housework
- Back Pain: Medication and Addiction
- Back Pain: Work and Back Health
- Christopher Reeve's Legacy of Research
- Living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Chronic Illness: What Goes Wrong
- Chronic Pain: Does Vitamin D Help?
- Chronic Pain: Living With Pain
- Chronic Pain: Specific References for Chronic Pain
- FDA Oxycontin
- Living with Fibromyalgia, Drugs Approved to Manage Pain
- Fibromyalgia: The Diet Connection
- Is Less-Invasive Hip Replacement Best for You?
- Living with Chronic Pain
- Low Back Pain Shouldn't Sideline You
- Low Back Pain: Alternative Therapies
- Lyrica FAQ
- OxyContin (oxycodone) Questions and Answers
- Pain and Multiple Sclerosis
- Pain Control Record Chart
- Pain in the Backpack
- Pain Management and Intimacy
- Pain Relief Without Pills
- Pain, Pain, Float Away
- Pain: When Pain Is All You Have
- Patient Care Ergonomics
- Prescription Pain Relievers Can Kill You
- Repetitive Strain Injury Treatment
- Running: Back on Track
- Sleeping Easier with Back Pain
- Arthritis:Taking Charge of Fibromyalgia
- Temporomandibular disorder (TMD): Mysteries of TMD
- Chronic Pain: The Attraction of Magnet Therapy
- Chronic Pain: The Cost of Pain
- Plumbing the Pits of Despair with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Chronic Pain: The Price Tag on Pain
- The Truth About Urine
- Chronic Pain: Thinking Pain Away
- Back Pain: VAX-D: Treating Without Surgery
- Work: How to Handle a Chronic Illness at Work