Patient Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coexisting Diseases

In addition to CFS, do you have another disease or condition? Please share your story. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: just me, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I went undiagnosed with type 1 diabetes for over a year when they finally figured out what I had. I was happy and relieved but just 2 months after getting things under control I didn't get better with a lot of my symptoms, fatigue, sore muscles, aches and pain, etc. I went to doctors for 3 years now and they say it is chronic fatigue syndrome but sadly will not diagnose me. It is terrible but keeping positive is the key. It is so very hard to think through sentences, I hope this makes sense.

Comment from: Ferrit, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome about 12 years ago now. Over time this has progressed to fibromyalgia although my symptoms are now of both, despite beliefs of some that they are very different. Stress always exacerbates the conditions and as time has gone on I have illnesses less often but when I am ill it is more serious (shingles, kidney infections, blood poisoning from bites or rashes for example) than the run down feeling I used to have or the flu like symptoms. I do feel that I manage the conditions to the best I can, light regular exercise really does help as do relevant supplements. I know it sounds like rubbish but keeping diaries really does help, as does saying no when something really is too much. I work full time now and believe this is down to learning to recognize your own limits. Don't do too much on energy days, just do something you enjoy! Avoid negative people and also be honest with yourself about what you can do today. Stop being frustrated about what you used to do and focus on new things you can enjoy now. It is frustrating but remember, it isn't going to kill us, difficult as it is, a positive attitude does make a difference and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Comment from: shemaggiema, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

My CFS was diagnosed about 6 months after the diagnosis of fibromyalgia. The pain was significant and was the most pressing issue in the beginning. I had a bout of mononucleosis and never got better. My thinking was severely impaired, I felt as though my head was full of cotton. At first I could manage a partial day at work if I started early in the day. Eventually my memory and cognition became so impaired I could no longer work. I knew I was tired but had no idea why I had no memory and could not keep a train of thought. The diagnosis: CFS.

Comment from: Fr C, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Subarachnoid hemorrhage a few years ago wiped out my pituitary. No hormones and no adrenal function. On total hormone replacement therapy (HRT) including growth hormone. I am suffering more and more from real fatigue. Just can"t really make the pace but need to keep full time job on the go. Health team suggests that"s the way it is but surely there has to be something for this chronic fatigue syndrome!

Fibromyalgia Overview Slideshow