Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder characterized by profound fatigue that lasts six months or longer, is not improved by bed rest, and may be worsened by physical or mental activity. Read more: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Fibromyalgia Quiz: What Is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia could be the reason for your constant, deep bodily pain. Learn more about this painful condition with the...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Quiz: Symptoms & Treatment
Exhausted all the time? Maybe it's not all in the mind. Take the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Quiz to learn more about tricky...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Picture of Fibromyalgia
A syndrome characterized by chronic pain, stiffness, and tenderness of muscles, tendons, and joints without detectable...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
IMAGESSee a medical illustration of fibromyalgia trigger points plus our entire medical gallery of human anatomy and physiology See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Night Sweats (In Men and Women) Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Infectious mononucleosis is a virus infection in which there is an increase of white blood cells that are mononuclear (with a...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Ear Infection (Otitis Media)
Middle ear infection or inflammation (otitis media) is inflammation of the middle ear. There are two forms of this type of ear...
Dizziness is a symptom that often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of dizziness...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE)
Systemic lupus erythematosus is a condition characterized by chronic inflammation of body tissues caused by autoimmune disease....
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Orthostatic hypotension symptoms include: LightheadednessWeaknessBlurred vision Syncope or passing out Causes of...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Double vision (diplopia) is a symptom that my indicate Graves' disease, myasthenia gravis, stroke, multiple sclerosis,...
Lyme disease is a bacterial illness, which is spread by ticks when they bite the skin. Initially the disease affects the skin...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Second Source article from Government...
Morgellons disease is a rare condition causing delusions the sufferer has parasites under his or her skin. The disease has a...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to...
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with...
Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep....
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Local ResourcesFind a local Rheumatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Abdominal Pain
- Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea)
- Muscle Pain (Myalgia)
- Joint Pain
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Chest Pain
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Low Libido
- Memory Loss
- Sore Throat (Pharyngitis)
- Double Vision
- Chronic Pain
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
Medications & Supplements
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, Augmentin XR, Augmentin ES-600, Amoclan
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- metronidazole (Flagyl) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra, Alcacuz, Sweet Root, Gan Zao, and many others)
Prevention & Wellness
- Electrical Implant Helps Brain-Damaged Woman
- Severe 'Mono' Infection May Raise Risk for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients Get Short Shrift in ERs
- Runaway Immune System May Play Role in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Doctor Burnout Likely to Impair Care
- Health Tip: Fight Frequent Fatigue
- The Latest on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Health Tip: If You Feel Fatigued
- Gulf War Illness, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Are Distinct Disorders: Study
- Health Tip: Identify Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue
- Blood Proteins Linked to Severity of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- How Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Wears Patients Out
- Guided Exercise May Help Chronic Fatigue Patients: Study
- Could Germs in the Gut Give Rise to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- Are There Two Forms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Drug May Not Ease Chronic Fatigue Syndrome After All
- Gut Bacteria May Hold Clues to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Chronic Fatigue Therapies Provide Some With Long-Term Relief
- Health Tip: Exercising Despite Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Clues to 'Brain Fog' in Chronic Fatigue Patients Found in Spinal Fluid
- Immune System Changes Tied to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- New Name, New Criteria for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- Panel Asks: What Defines Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Linked to Early Menopause: CDC
- Therapists Must Ease Patients' Fear When Treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Study
- Brain Scans Yield Clues to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Poorly Understood Disorder Disables Many Younger Women
- Brain Scans Spot Possible Clues to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Health Tip: Understanding Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Health Tip: If You're Always Tired
- FDA Panel Considers 1st Drug for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Health Tip: Managing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Pain
- Lab Contamination Behind Debunked Link Between Virus, Prostate Cancer
- New Study Debunks Virus Theory for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Fatigue Not a Factor in Fibromyalgia Pain, Study Says
- New Clues to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Web Therapy Helps With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Health Highlights: Dec. 28, 2011
- Journal Retracts Faulty Chronic Fatigue Study
- Chronic Fatigue Tied to Extended School Absences
- Some Doctors Warming Up to Probiotics
- Cancer Drug May Also Treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Therapy, Exercise Help Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Researchers Study Virus' Link to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- More Evidence Virus Plays Role in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Virus Unlikely to Cause Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Health Tip: Warning Signs That You May Have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome-Virus Link Questioned
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter