Patient Comments: Chronic Cough - Causes

Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: zuri, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I have had a chronic cough for about two years now. I wonder if it could be related to the pneumonia I had. I can't seem to get rid of it. I have been tested for asthma and allergies, and all came back normal. I have had MRI, CAT scans, x-rays, an EKG, and a bronchoscopy, a scope down my throat, and down my nose. Did I mention I am only 19! I have had to put my life on hold for now. But I really want to fix this.

Comment from: MIchelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My blood pressure medication's side effect was coughing. I stopped taking it and my coughing got better.

Comment from: Frank, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a lobectomy due to cancer - my right lower and middle lobes. Now it seems like my saliva is going down my windpipe often and I cough all the time.

Comment from: Martha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I started this cough on October 16, 2013 and I had started a new high blood pressure medication (atenolol 10mg) once at night and a new cholesterol medication and the cough got worse as I visited my doctor in a six week period. My doctor checked me for breathing by checking my chest and back for wheezing and then she took a few blood test and put me on a puffer with albuterol but did not change my medication in December. I had been seen by the emergency room on two occasions for the cough before returning to her for my six week checkup. The emergency room ordered a nebulizer for albuterol breathing treatments. I tried this with no results. The cough got worse. I was sent for a pulmonary study which came back normal. I was sent for more studies where I went to pulmonary and was given another study with some type of medication that I took and then did the breathing treatment. They were looking for a disease in the lungs or asthma but the test came back normal also. The nurse called and told me to continue taking Mucinex for the cough and that does not help either. I still am suffering with this cough. I do not have COPD, asthma, congestive heart trouble or emphysema. The doctor that I go to do not know what else they can do.

Comment from: Paige04, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have been coughing every day for the past 8 years. Two months ago I removed soy and dairy from my diet. My cough has reduced by 50% and continues to improve. My doctors never considered food allergies. By my request, I had a blood allergy test done and it was negative. My mother and sister have allergies to soy and milk, so that is why I started with there.

Comment from: garima, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have been suffering from cough with high blood pressure and wheezing for the last one and half year.

Comment from: master73, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I've had a chronic cough for over 4 years now. It has progressively gotten worse. It started after taking Lisinopril. After 3/4 bottle I stopped since cough never stopped. Cough is a main side effect of the drug. I have taken OTC acid reflux medicine and prescription Omeprazole. I have no acid reflux symptoms now. I've had MRI'S, CT SCANS and a Bronchoscopy but everything is normal. I can't talk without coughing a lot. I cough lying in bed too. No one can help. I'm frustrated.

View the Finding Relief for Your Cough Slideshow