Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as
- allergic rhinitis,
- sinus infection,
- cigarette smoking,
- postnasal drip,
- medications, and
- less frequently tumors or other lung disease. Treatment of chronic cough is dependent upon the cause.
Chronic cough treatment is based on the cause, but may be soothed natural and home remedies.Read more: Cough (Chronic Cough) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Heartburn: Causes, Symptoms, Remedies, Treatments
Learn the symptoms of heartburn and which foods cause heartburn or GERD. Discover home remedies and which foods may provide...
Sore Throat or Strep Throat? How to Tell the Difference
Explore the types and causes of a sore throat through pictures, including strep throat, and learn how to find relief from that...
Lung Cancer Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
Learn about lung cancer symptoms and treatments. Get more information on small cell lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, and...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis) Symptoms & Treatment
Sinus infection (sinusitis) symptoms can include headaches, a sore throat, and toothaches. Chronic sinusitis may be caused by...
COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
COPD is a pulmonary disorder caused by obstructions in the airways of the lungs leading to breathing problems. Learn about COPD...
Could I Be Allergic? Discover Your Allergy Triggers
Allergies are an overreaction of the immune system where the body's defenses react to substances such as pollen, food and more....
Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
What natural remedies work for the flu and common cold? Many claim cold symptoms and flu symptoms can be relieved with Echinacea,...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Bronchitis Symptoms and Treatments
Is bronchitis contagious? Learn about bronchitis, an inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Bronchitis can be aggravated from...
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
Common Cold Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take this quiz to learn the truth behind the infectious, contagious, uncomfortable disease known as the common cold. Test your...
Stress Quiz: Test Your Emotional IQ
Stress creeps into everyone's life at one time or another, while some people will suffer from poorly managed chronic stress. If...
Cold & Flu Quiz: Influenza vs. Common Cold
Aches? Pain? Fever? This Cold & Flu Quiz tests your knowledge on the difference between coming down with the common cold and...
GERD Quiz: Test Your Digestive Diseases IQ
Who is at risk for developing GERD? Are you? Take this quiz to learn what GERD is, if you're at risk, and what you can do about...
Do I Have Pneumonia? Symptoms & Signs
Pneumonia can be deadly. Take the Pneumonia Quiz on MedicineNet to learn more about this highly contagious, infectious disease....
Asthma Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Asthma is a chronic disease of the airways of the lungs, which can be managed with proper treatment. Triggered by two main...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Quiz
COPD is a combination of three conditions? Take this quiz to learn the three conditions that make up the pulmonary disease called...
What happens within the body when a person develops bronchitis? Take this quick quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments,...
COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
Boost your energy and combat COPD with these diet tips. Which foods can help patients with COPD? Which foods to avoid for COPD?...
A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference
Learn common symptoms of a cold and the flu. Discover the difference between a cold and the flu. Read about cold and flu...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Symptoms and Diagnosis
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can occur at any age for men or women. Learn more about the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome...
Picture of Bronchitis
Acute bronchitis usually comes on quickly and gets better after several weeks. See a picture of Acute Bronchitis and learn more...
Picture of Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
The stomach contents regurgitate and back up (reflux) into the esophagus The food in the stomach is partially digested by...
Picture of Influenza Virus
The flu is caused by viruses that infect the respiratory tract which are divided into three types, designated A, B, and C. See a...
Picture of Sinuses
The sinuses are an air-filled cavity in a dense portion of a skull bone. See a picture of the Sinuses and learn more about the...
Picture of Lungs
The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest (thorax). See a picture of the Lungs and...
Asthma Symptoms, Causes, and Medications
What is asthma? Learn about asthma, a chronic inflammation disorder of the bronchiole tubes (airways). Discover information about...
Common Respiratory Illnesses
Is your cough caused by a cold, flu, pneumonia or something else? Learn causes of respiratory infection like bronchitis,...
Tips to Calm Your Cough in Pictures
Sick at home? Need relief from a nagging cough? See which home remedies and other treatments help relieve coughing and when it's...
Signs of Cancer in Men: Could it Be Cancer?
See pictures of which 15 cancer symptoms men ignore such as skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight loss, a breast...
Pictures of Allergy Relief Tips at Home: AC Filters, Electronic Air Cleaners, and More
Learn how a combination of medication, preventing allergens, and allergy relief products can reduce allergy symptoms and help you...
Out-of-Control Allergy Symptoms: Treatment Relief in Pictures
Learn 10 signs your allergies are out of control. See these surprising allergy symptoms and find out how to get relief for...
Diet for Stress Management: Carbs, Nuts, and Other Stress-Relief Foods
While there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part...
How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
One of the best ways to improve your health is to quit smoking. These practical tips to help you quit smoking have been shown to...
10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
Learn 10 exercises for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). If you have COPD, give your muscles more oxygen...
Nasal Irrigation: Natural Relief for Cold & Allergy Symptoms
Nasal irrigation can relieve sinus symptoms associated with colds & allergies. Learn how nasal irrigation can help unclog sinuses...
Asthma Attack Signs, Treatments, and Prevention
Look at the anatomy of an asthma attack. See these warning signs and symptoms to avoid an asthma emergency such as a persistent...
What is Asthma? Asthma Myths Debunked
There is currently no cure for asthma, and no specific, single cause for asthma has been identified. Take this quiz on asthma...
Home Remedies for the Flu or a Cold
Watch this pictures slideshow and learn about home remedies for sick children. Get tips on how to treat a sore throat, cough,...
Nasal Allergy Attack: Causes, Triggers, Treatments
What causes allergies? What are your allergy triggers? Discover how allergies work, why our bodies react to them, whether...
Whooping Cough (Pertussis) Symptoms, Vaccine Facts
Whooping cough (bordetella pertussis) is a highly contagious bacterial infection. Read how vaccines and antibiotics could prevent...
The Most Common Food Allergies for Kids and Adults
What common food allergens cause the most problems for adults and children? See this list of common food allergies and learn to...
Cold, Fever and Flu Treatment in Children: Medications and Home Remedies
Colds and fevers are some of the most common ailments in children. Learn common cold symptoms, treatment options, over the...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
Germs: Everyday Items with the Most Bacteria
Explore the germiest places you may encounter daily. Bacteria is everywhere. Learn tips to avoid germs and bacteria in public...
10 Worst Asthma Cities in the U. S. in Pictures
Do you live in one of the 10 worst cites for asthma? There is no such thing as an asthma-free city, but some are more difficult...
10 Worst Cities for Spring Allergies With Pictures
See pictures of the top 10 "spring allergy capitals", according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA). From...
Home Allergy Quiz: Is Your Home Allergy-Proof?
Take this home allergy quiz and test your knowledge on allergens, dust mites, pollens and more to see how allergy-proof your home...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
Related Disease Conditions
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Symptoms, Stages, and Prognosis
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is caused by allergies, infection, and chemicals or other irritants of sinuses. Signs and symptoms...
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
25 Sore Throat Home Remedies
These 25 sore throat natural and home remedies can help soothe throat pain, and heal a sore throat caused by viral (common cold,...
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count)
Polycythemia (elevated red blood cell count) is a rare blood disease in which the body produces too many red blood cells....
Croup is a contagious viral infection that affects children's respiratory system. Symptoms include a barking cough, stridor,...
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...
Mold exposure may cause symptoms in people who are sensitive to molds. Symptoms of mold allergy include sneezing, runny nose,...
Heartburn (Acid Reflux)
Heartburn is a burning sensation experienced from acid reflux (GERD). Symptoms of heartburn include chest pain, burning in...
Is Pneumonia Contagious?
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lung usually caused by bacterial or viral infection (rarely, also by fungi) that causes the air...
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include: An itchy, runny nose Sneezing Itchy ears, eyes, and...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
Sepsis (blood poisoning) is a potentially deadly infection with signs and symptoms that include elevated heart rate, low or high...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
Esophageal cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the esophagus. Risk factors of cancer of the esophagus include...
Novel H1N1 influenza A virus infection (swine flu) is an infection that generally is transferred from an infected pig to a human,...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke,...
A subconjunctival hemorrhage is bleeding under the eye's conjunctiva. There is usually no obvious cause for a subconjunctival...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system, a vital part of the body's immune system. Symptoms and signs include...
Is Croup Contagious?
Croup is a viral infection that typically affects children and causes inflammation of the larynx and trachea. The cough...
How Long Is a Cold or Flu Contagious?
Viruses cause the common cold and the flu. Early symptoms and signs for a cold and the flu are similar, however, flu symptoms are...
Mycobacterium tuberculosis is the bacterium that causes tuberculosis (TB). Symptoms and signs of TB include bloody sputum, fever,...
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung)
A pulmonary embolism (PE) occurs when a piece of a blood clot from deep vein thrombosis (DVT) breaks off and travels to an artery...
Plague (Black Death)
Plague is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria Yersinia pestis. Transmission to humans occurs via fleas that have bitten...
Malaria is a disease that is spread by the bite of an infected Anopheles mosquito. Malaria symptoms include fever, chills,...
Emphysema is a COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that often occurs with other obstructive pulmonary problems and...
Monkeypox is a viral disease that causes symptoms such as fever, sweating, and a rash with papules and pustules on the face and...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
Dry mouth is a common side effect of many prescription and non-prescription drugs and certain medical conditions. Symptoms of dry...
Neutropenia is a marked decrease in the number of neutrophils, neutrophils being a type of white blood cell (specifically a form...
Pulmonary fibrosis is scarring throughout the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis can be caused by many conditions including chronic...
Larynx Cancer (Throat Cancer)
Symptoms of cancer of the larynx, the organ at the front of the neck, include hoarseness, a lump in the neck, sore throat, cough,...
Barrett's esophagus occurs as a complication of chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), primarily in white males. GERD...
Is Tonsillitis Contagious?
Tonsillitis is a common infection, especially in kids. Tonsillitis is caused by viruses and bacteria like the flu and herpes...
Eosinophilic esophagitis is an inflammation of the esophagus. Eosinophilic esophagitis has many causes including acid reflux,...
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Is a Sinus Infection Contagious?
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is infection (viral, bacterial, or fungal) or inflammation of the sinuses. Symptoms of sinus...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Interstitial Pneumonitis (Interstitial Lung Disease)
Interstitial lung disease refers to a variety of diseased that thicken the tissue between the lungs' air sacks. Viruses,...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Whooping Cough (Pertussis)
Whooping cough (pertussis) is highly contagious respiratory infection that is caused by the bacteria Bordetella pertussis. There...
Acid backing up into the larynx (voice box) causes reflux laryngitis. Irritation of the lining of the esophagus, larynx, and...
Teething in babies typically starts between 4 and 10 months of age. Symptoms and signs of cutting teeth include rash, drooling,...
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
Legionellosis is an infection caused by the Legionella pneumophila bacterium. There are two forms of legionellosis: Pontiac fever...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Histoplasmosis is a disease caused by a fungus called Histoplasma capsulatum. The symptoms are similar to those of pneumonia and...
Is Laryngitis Contagious?
Laryngitis is inflammation and swelling of the voice box (larynx). Causes of laryngitis are viral, bacterial, fungal, strenuous...
Cupping is a type of traditional Chinese medicine that stimulates the flow of chi (qi, or energy) within the body. There are a...
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome)
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a lung condition in which trauma to the lungs leads to inflammation of the lungs,...
A polio infection causes symptoms and signs such as paralysis, limb deformities, and even death. There is no curative treatment...
Bronchiolitis is an illness caused by a variety of viruses that is most common during the winter season. Bronchiolitis symptoms...
Diphtheria is a disease that causes symptoms and signs such as fever, enlarged lymph nodes, and swallowing problems. Erythromycin...
Is a Cough Contagious?
There are many types of coughs: for example, dry cough, wet cough, a barking cough, whooping cough, stress induced...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Thymoma is an uncommon cancer of the thymus gland. Many thymomas are asymptomatic. When symptoms do occur, they include chest...
What Is Mucus?
Mucus is a normal substance produced by lining tissues in the body. Excess mucus or mucus that is yellow, green, brown, or bloody...
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Mucormycosis (zygomycosis) is a fungal infection caused by Zygomycetes. Symptoms and signs include fever, headache, coughing,...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Is Tuberculosis (TB) Contagious?
Mycobacterium tuberculosis causes tuberculosis (TB). TB may be transmitted when an infected person sings, sneezes, coughs, or...
Measles (rubeola) is a highly contagious disease that's caused by a virus. Symptoms include a rash, high fever, cough, runny...
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Schistosomiasis (snail fever), a disease caused by parasites, causes a variety of symptoms and signs, such as cough, rash and...
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a disease transmitted by rodents. Symptoms include fever and muscle pain. HPS can be...
Bronchiectasis (Acquired, Congenital)
Bronchiectasis has three types: 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, 3) and cystic...
Valley fever (coccidioidomycosis) is a disease caused by the inhalation of the Coccidioides immitis or C. posadasii fungus....
Respiratory Syncytial Virus
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a highly contagious viral infection. Symptoms include fever and nasal congestion and...
Cryptococcosis is an infection caused by the Cryptococcus fungus. Cryptococcus is spread through inhalation of airborne fungi....
Ricin is a biological toxin that can be made from processing castor beans. The length of time it takes for the poison to begin...
A parasite names Ascaris lumbricoides causes ascariasis. Symptoms and signs include: abdominal pain, abdominal swelling,...
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza, Avian Flu)
Bird flu (avian flu, avian influenza) infection in humans may result from contact with infected poultry. There is a vaccine to...
The bacteria Brucella causes brucellosis, an infectious zoonotic disease in humans. Symptoms and signs include fatigue, fever,...
Adult-onset asthma is asthma that is diagnosed in people over 20 years of age. Symptoms include wheezing, coughing, shortness of...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
There are two types of asthma medications: long-term control with anti-inflammatory drugs and quick relief from bronchodilators....
MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome)
MERS-CoV (Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus) infection can be spread through respiratory secretions. Symptoms include...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Nicotine is delivered to the brain through smoking, chewing, or sniffing tobacco. Nicotine is an addictive agent. Common names...
Asthma in Children
Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in...
Bocavirus infection is usually only found in those with lower respiratory infections or diarrhea. Symptoms include cyanosis,...
Enterovirus (Non-Polio Enterovirus Infection)
Non-polio enteroviruses cause a variety of infections, including aseptic meningitis, hand, foot, and mouth disease, herpangina,...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
GERD and GER (Acid Reflux) in Infants and Children
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is the upward movement of stomach content, including acid, into the esophagus and...
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF)
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis or IPF is a progressive lung disease. There is no known cause of IPF. Symptoms include:...
Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer vs Small Cell Lung Cancer
Non-small cell lung cancers (NSCLC) consist of large cell carcinomas, adenocarcinomas, and squamous cell carcinomas. Small cell...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
Is Roseola Contagious?
Roseola is a common viral infection among children 6-24 months of age. Symptoms and signs include a high fever and a rash all...
Cold vs. Flu
Though the common cold and flu share many signs and symptoms, they are caused by different viruses. Signs and symptoms include...
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus SARS-CoV. Symptoms include fever and...
About 1% to 2% of people in the U.S. have a peanut allergy. Symptoms and signs of a peanut allergy include rash, hives, redness,...
Is Whooping Cough (Pertussis) Contagious?
Whooping cough (pertussis) is a highly contagious respiratory infection caused by Bordetella pertussis. Pertussis is...
Heartburn vs. Acid Reflux (Differences and Similarities)
Heartburn and acid reflux are not the same thing. Heartburn is actually a symptom of acid reflux. Heartburn gets its name...
German Measles (Rubella)
German measles is a disease that's caused by a virus. Symptoms include rash and fever for two to three days. The MMR (measles,...
Is Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Contagious?
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a contagious viral infection that causes symptoms such as decreased appetite, runny nose,...
Castleman Disease is a group of related conditions. It is a rare disease with an unknown prevalence. Signs and symptoms of...
Q fever is a highly infectious disease that causes high fever, diarrhea, cough, and sweating. Infected animals may transmit Q...
Is Swine Flu (H1N1) Contagious?
Swine flu (H1N1) is a contagious virus that spreads when an infected individual expels virus-containing droplets into the air...
Lassa fever is a viral hemorrhagic fever that causes flu-like symptoms. Ribavirin is the standard treatment for Lassa fever....
Gastroesophageal Junction Adenocarcinoma
Gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma is cancer that forms in the area where the esophagus joins the stomach. Having GERD and...
Treating the Flu in People with Health Risks
Certain portions of the population are at an increased risk of suffering serious complications from the flu. Some of these...
Exercise-induced asthma is asthma triggered by vigorous exercise. Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, chest...
Chronic Cough - Diagnosis
How was the diagnosis of your chronic cough established?Post View 74 Comments
Chronic Cough - Remedies
What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?Post View 36 Comments
Chronic Cough - Treatment
What kinds of treatment, including medication, have you used for your chronic cough?Post View 2 Comments
Chronic Cough - Causes
Did you develop a chronic cough after an illness? What was the cause of your chronic cough?Post View 14 Comments
Chronic Cough - Experience
Please share your experience with chronic cough.Post View 10 Comments
Chronic Cough - Experience
Please share your experience with a chronic cough.Post View 6 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Pulmonologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Smoking FAQs
- Cold & Flu FAQs
- Pneumonia FAQs
- Asthma FAQs
- Stress FAQs
- Common Cold FAQs
- GERD Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease FAQs
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) FAQs
- Bronchitis FAQs
- Symptoms of MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome or MERS-CoV) Virus Infection
- How Does a Person Catch Swine Flu?
- Whooping Cough Symptoms
- Emphysema Causes and Risk Factors
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA): 17 Warning Signs of Serious Complications
- Acute Bronchitis Treatment Treatment Medications and Home Remedies
- Flu: What to Do if You Get the Flu
- Emphysema Symptoms
- 10 Cancer Symptoms That Men Ignore
- When to Call the Doctor for Fever, Nausea, Diarrhea, Colds, and Coughs
- Pneumonia vs. Walking Pneumonia
- Popcorn Lung Symptoms and Causes
- Cold and Cough Medicine for Infants and Children: A Doctor's View
- Acute Bronchitis: How Long Do Symptoms Last?
- Lung Cancer Signs and Symptoms
- Serena Williams Battles Pulmonary Embolism and a Hematoma
- National Poison Prevention Week
- H1N1 Swine Flu Can Infect Some Pets
- What to Do if You Think You Have H1N1 Swine Flu Virus
- Swine Flu: One New York City Pediatrician's View
- Swine Flu: How a Hospital Prepares for Patients
- Ask the Experts - Pulmonary
Medications & Supplements
- ACE Inhibitors (Side Effects, List of Names, Uses, and Dosage)
- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs)
- codeine (for Pain)
- ranitidine, Zantac
- lisinopril (Zestril, Prinivil, Qbrelis) ACE Inhibitor
- valsartan, Diovan
- benzonatate (Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss - discontinued in the US)
- Bronchodilators (Drug Class)
- promethazine/codeine syrup - oral, Phenergan w/ codeine
- acetaminophen/codeine - oral, Tylenol-Codeine No.3, Tylenol-
- ipratropium bromide inhaler, Atrovent, Atrovent HFA
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone: Which Is Better for Pain?
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- cimetidine, Tagamet HB
- captopril, Capoten
- guaifenesin, Robitussin, Fenesin, Mucosa, Mucus Relief, Mucinex
- famotidine, Pepcid, Pepcid AC
- guaifenesin/codeine (Cheratussin AC, Codar GF, Dex-Tuss, Guaiatussin AC, Iophen C-NR, M-Clear)
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- enalapril, Vasotec, Epaned
- promethazine and codeine, Phenergan with Codeine
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- ginger (zingiber officinale) - oral
- fluticasone furoate nasal spray (Veramyst)
- albuterol and ipratropium inhaler, Combivent, Combivent Respimat
- fexofenadine, Allegra, Allegra Allergy, Allegra Hives, Children's Allegra, Mucinex Allergy
- hydrocodone/homatropine (Hycodan [discontinued] Tussigon)
- Advair Diskus, Advair HFA (fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler)
- Sage (Salvia officinalis, Sage Leaf, Common Sage, Garden Sage, Black Sage)
- pseudoephedrine (Oral, Afrinol, Sudafed)
- guaifenesin and dextromethorphan hydrobromide (Robitussin and Mucinex Formulas)
- budesonide/formoterol hfa inhaler (Symbicort)
Prevention & Wellness
- What Really Works to Fight a Stubborn Cough?
- Statins May Help People With COPD Live Longer
- Steroid Pills Usually Ineffective Against Bronchitis, Study Finds
- What Diabetics Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Meds
- Drowning Can Occur Hours After Swimming
- Health Tip: Worried About Lung Disease?
- Keep Legionnaire's Disease From Spoiling Your Vacation
- Opioids a Threat to Seniors With COPD
- Shifting Weather Can Unleash Pollen 'Superburst'
- Don't Give Kids Medicines With Codeine, Tramadol: FDA
- Is It Wise to Take a Steroid for a Sore Throat?
- Vaccinating Pregnant Moms Protects Babies From Whooping Cough
- Welcome Spring and Still Survive Your Allergies
- Nearby Day Cares Don't Pose Health Risks to Kids: Study
- FDA Approves New Treatment for Dust Mite Allergies
- Health Tip: Identifying Signs of the Common Cold
- Congressional Group Gives Bipartisan Support to Vaccine Safety
- Emflaza Approved for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Oldest Person in U.S. Dies at Age 114
- Best Ways to Steer Clear of the Flu
- Health Tip: Feeling Under the Weather?
- Former President George H.W. Bush Hospitalized
- Hot Chili Peppers May Extend Life: Study
- Parents Have Mixed Views on When to Keep Sick Kids Out of School
- Why Winter Weather Brings More Flu
- How to Spot a Common, Potentially Dangerous, Childhood Illness
- Is It a Cold or the Flu? Here's How to Tell
- Don't Let Germs Spoil Your Holiday Getaway
- Do Your Part to Stop Spreading Colds and Flu
- Health Tip: Coping With a Chronic Cough
- Clots May Be the Cause of Fainting in Some Elderly
- Health Tip: Manage Allergies
- Measles Outbreak Among Amish Highlights Need for Vaccinations
- How to Protect Yourself From the Seasonal Flu
- Codeine Not Safe for Kids, Pediatricians Warn
- Clinton: 'I Didn't Think It Was Going to Be That Big a Deal'
- Hillary Clinton's Pneumonia: How Serious, the Prognosis
- FDA: Opioids Plus Sedatives Pose Fatal OD Risk
- Play a Wind Instrument? Beware 'Bagpipe Lung'
- Many Adults Use Antibiotics Without Consulting Doctor, Survey Finds
- Can an Antibiotic Help You? Quick Test Might Someday Tell
- Toys Remain Viral Playground for 24 Hours
- Middle-Aged More Often Diagnosed With Late-Stage Lung Cancer
- Health Tip: Watch Medication Use During Pregnancy
- Do You Know the 'Hidden' Signs of Asthma?
- Cleaner Air in California May Mean Healthier Kids: Study
- Mom's Smoking May Put Kids at Higher Risk of COPD in Adulthood
- Waning Whooping Cough Immunity Blamed in Outbreaks
- Study Casts Doubt on Effectiveness of COPD Drug
- No Antibiotics for Common Respiratory Infections: Experts
- Health Tip: Help Prevent RSV
- Health Tip: Treating Your Child's Cold
- Try Home Remedies for Child's Cough or Cold
- Health Tip: Struggling With Chronic Cough?
- Opdivo Approved for Advanced Kidney Cancer
- Health Tip: Easing the Discomfort of Bronchitis
- Health Tip: Considering Cough Medicine?
- Health Tip: What's Behind That Cough?
- Doctors Worry About Return of Vaccine-Preventable Ills in Kids
- That Lingering Cough Could Be Bronchitis
- Health Tip: Know the Warning Signs of Choking in Children
- When to Keep Kids Home From School
- Ebola Transmission Through Cough Possible, But Not Likely: Experts
- Health Tip: Warning Signs of Sinusitis
- Bad Flu Season Continues to Take Toll, Especially Among the Young and Old
- About 1 in 7 Older Adults Has Some Form of Lung Disease: CDC
- Health Tip: Taking Care of Someone With Flu
- Whooping Cough Vaccine Seems Safe in Pregnancy, Study Finds
- Placebo Treatment May Quiet Kids' Cough
- Airborne Transmission of Ebola Highly Unlikely, Experts Say
- Medication Errors Occur Every 8 Minutes in U.S. Children
- Ebola or Not? Rapid Test for the Virus Not Here Yet
- Esbriet, Ofev Approved to Treat Deadly Lung Disease
- Most Kindergartners Are Getting Their Shots: CDC
- Docs Offer Advice for Combating Respiratory Virus That's Striking Kids
- Health Tip: Help Keep Germs at Bay
- Enterovirus D68: What Parents Need to Know
- Respiratory Virus Hitting Kids in at Least 12 States
- Persistent Cough in Kids Can Often Be Whooping Cough
- Scientists Spot New Clues to a Deadly Lung Disease
- Heat Waves Could Worsen COPD Symptoms, Study Suggests
- 2 Drugs Offer Hope for Fatal Lung Disease
- One Woman's Cancer Battle Highlights Promise of New Treatment
- MERS FAQ: What You Need to Know
- Disease Outbreaks May Not Change Minds of Vaccine Opponents
- Health Tip: Signs That You've Become Ill on a Trip
- Too Much Codeine Still Prescribed to U.S. Kids: Study
- E-Cigarettes: What the Research Shows
- Many U.S. Adults Not Getting Key Vaccines: CDC
- College Students Should Get a Flu Shot
- Hand Washing, Zinc May Ward Off Colds: Review
- Want to Stay Healthy? Try Washing Your Hands
- Meet Henry the Hand: A Crusading Doctor's Right-Hand Man
- Health Tip: Avoid Spreading the Common Cold
- When a Common Cold Becomes More Dangerous for Kids
- FDA OKs 2-Drug Combo Treatment for Advanced Melanoma
- U.S. Flu Cases Continue to Climb
- New Drug Combo Might Help Older, Sicker Patients With Leukemia
- H1N1 Flu Spreading in South-Central U.S.
- FDA Approves New Drug to Treat COPD
- Anoro Ellipta Approved for COPD
- Could Vaccines Someday Improve Heart Health?
- What Happens When a Child With Autism Refuses Most Foods?
- Fewer ER Visits for Kids After Cold Medicine Restrictions
- Two Questions May Rule Out Strep Throat
- With Flu Season Here, Docs Offer Tips to Stay Healthy
- Don't Ask, Just Tell Parents When It's Time for Vaccines: Study
- One in 10 Teens Has Misused Prescription Painkillers: Survey
- U.S. Malaria Cases Hit 40-Year High
- Don't Routinely Test for Kidney Disease in Those Without Symptoms: Experts
- Fewer Infants Hospitalized for Whooping Cough, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Dealing With a Child's Cough
- Survey Could Spot Parents Who Shun Child Vaccinations
- What to Do If Your Child Chokes
- Health Tip: Comfort a Child With Croup
- Menthol May Boost Cigarettes' Addictive Properties: Study
- Health Tip: Keep Germs to Yourself
- Homemade Blowgun Darts Pose Choking Dangers for Teens
- Whooping Cough Cases Rise as Parents Opt Out of Vaccine
- Allergies May Boost Severity of Lung Disease
- Many Parents Give Kids Cold Medicines When They Shouldn't, Survey Finds
- Flu Continues to Wane, but Deaths Still Epidemic
- Doctor Explains Why Flu a Greater Threat to Seniors
- Steps You Can Take to Protect Yourself From the Flu
- Steps You Can Take to Protect Yourself From the Flu
- Coughs Can Last About 2 Weeks
- Health Tip: Don't Neglect Warning Signs of Lung Disease
- Flu Cases Rise Across U.S., Severe Season Feared
- Health Highlights: Dec. 28, 2012
- Most Coughs Don't Respond to Antibiotics, Study Confirms
- Sedatives May Raise Pneumonia Risk
- When to Worry About Your Child's Fever
- Former President George H.W. Bush to Stay in Hospital Through Weekend
- Former President George H.W. Bush Hospitalized With Bronchitis
- Hurricane Sandy's Health Woes Continue
- Health Tip: Treating Bronchitis
- Health Tip: Do You Have a Heart Murmur?
- Smokers, Nonsmokers Alike Urged to Learn About Lung Cancer
- Health Tip: Treating a Chronic Cough
- Epilepsy Drug Gabapentin Calms Chronic Cough
- FDA Approves New Inhaler for COPD
- Cough Medicine and Cough Syrups
- 'Self-Managing' COPD Might Pose Risks, Study Suggests
- Acupuncture May Be Worth a Shot for COPD
- Afinitor Approval Expanded to Include Benign Kidney Tumors
- Worst U.S. Air: Bakersfield Calif.; Best: Honolulu, Santa Fe
- Bronchitis Symptoms
- 10 Persistent Myths About Smoking
- How to Handle the H1N1 Swine Flu Pandemic
- Swine Flu 101: College Survival Tips
- Swine Flu and the Elderly
- An American's H1N1 Swine Flu Experience in London: One Patient's Story
- Swine Flu: 10 Things Not to Do
- Hand Washing: Clean Hands Save Lives: Emergency Situations
- Whooping Cough FAQs
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter