Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a row. Causes of chronic bronchitis include cigarette smoking, inhaled irritants, and underlying disease processes (such as asthma, or congestive heart failure). Symptoms include cough, shortness of breath, and wheezing. Treatments include bronchodilators and steroids. Complications of chronic bronchitis include COPD and emphysema.Read more: Chronic Bronchitis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Remedies) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Quiz
COPD is a combination of three conditions? Take this quiz to learn the three conditions that make up the pulmonary disease called...
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
What happens within the body when a person develops bronchitis? Take this quick quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments,...
Picture of Bronchitis
Acute bronchitis usually comes on quickly and gets better after several weeks. See a picture of Acute Bronchitis and learn more...
Picture of Bronchioles
A tiny tube in the air conduit system within the lungs that is a continuation of the bronchi and connects to the alveoli (the air...
How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
One of the best ways to improve your health is to quit smoking. These practical tips to help you quit smoking have been shown to...
Bronchitis Symptoms and Treatments
Is bronchitis contagious? Learn about bronchitis, an inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Bronchitis can be aggravated from...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
Boost your energy and combat COPD with these diet tips. Which foods can help patients with COPD? Which foods to avoid for COPD?...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
COPD is a pulmonary disorder caused by obstructions in the airways of the lungs leading to breathing problems. Learn about COPD...
10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
The more you exercise, the better you'll feel with COPD. Breathe easier with these 10 exercises from WebMD....
IMAGESSee a medical illustration of bronchitis plus our entire medical gallery of human anatomy and physiology See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Life Expectancy
COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke, and/or...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Pneumothorax (Symptoms, Causes, Types, and Prognosis)
A pneumothorax is free air in the chest outside the lung, that causes the lung to collapse (collapsed lung). There are two types...
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a highly contagious viral infection. Symptoms include fever and nasal congestion and...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
There are many unusual symptoms of asthma, including sighing, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, chronic cough, recurrent walking...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
Asthma in Children
Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in...
Bronchitis (Acute) Contagoius Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Recovery Time
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
Night Sweats (In Men and Women) Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and Colds
If you have a COPD such as emphysema, avoiding chronic bronchitis and colds is important to avoid a more severe respiratory...
Emphysema is a COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that often occurs with other obstructive pulmonary problems and...
Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count)
Polycythemia (elevated red blood cell count) is a rare blood disease in which the body produces too many red blood cells....
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI)
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Bronchiectasis has three types, 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, and 3) cystic...
Sore Throat Home Remedies
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
Vaping (e-Cigarettes, Side Effects, Dangers, Safety)
Vaping or e-cigarettes are smokable products that use refillable or replaceable cartridges or containers that contain a liquid...
Hypoxia is a condition in which the normal concentration of oxygen in the blood is not enough for normal life functions. Symptoms...
Is a Cough Contagious?
There are many types of coughs: for example, dry cough, wet cough, a barking cough, whooping cough, stress induced...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Hookahs vs. Cigarette Smoking (Addiction and Health Dangers)
A hookah is a water pipe that's used to smoke flavored tobacco like watermelon, licorice, coconut, chocolate, cherry, mint,...
COPD vs. Asthma (Differences and Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma both have common symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath,...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
Cold vs. Flu
Though the common cold and flu share many signs and symptoms, they are caused by different viruses. Signs and symptoms include...
Adenovirus infections are common and often have no symptoms. Adenoviruses cause illnesses like bladder infections, diarrhea,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Pulmonologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- cefuroxime, Ceftin, Zinacef
- cephalexin (Keflex)
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- prednisolone (Orapred, Pediapred)
- salmeterol (Serevent)
- albuterol (Ventolin, Proventil)
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- ipratropium bromide inhaler (Atrovent)
- methylprednisolone (Medrol)
- guaifenesin (Robitussin, Mucinex)
- benzonatate (Tessalon Perles)
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Antibiotic
- albuterol and ipratropium inhaler (Combivent Respimat)
- cefdinir (Omnicef has been discontinued)
- Advair Diskus, Advair HFA (fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler)
- Corticosteroids (Systemic, Oral and Injectable)
- Sulfonamides (Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Septra DS)
- metaproterenol inhaler - oral, Alupent
- budesonide/formoterol hfa inhaler (Symbicort)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- formoterol powder in capsule - oral inhalation, Foradil
- hydrocodone/homatropine (Hycodan [discontinued] Tussigon)
- tiotropium bromide and olodaterol (Stiolto Respimat)
- Bronchodilators (Drug Class)
- Predinsone Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Cipro vs. Flagyl (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- Cipro vs. Levaquin: Differences Between Side Effects, Uses, and Strength
- Amoxicillin vs. Augmentin (Comparison of Side Effects and Antibiotic Uses)
- Cipro, XR (ciprofloxacin) vs. Keflex (cephalexin)
- Bactrim vs. Cefdinir
- Cefdinir vs. Keflex
Prevention & Wellness
- Many E-Cigs Loaded With Germs, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Identifying Symptoms of Bronchitis
- Health Tip: Caring for Bronchitis
- What Really Works to Fight a Stubborn Cough?
- Statins May Help People With COPD Live Longer
- Long-Acting Inhaler May Help in Early Stage COPD, Too
- Nearly 4 Million Worldwide Die Each Year From Asthma, COPD
- Death Rate Drops for Americans Hospitalized With COPD
- Oxygen Therapy Little Help for Those With Milder COPD
- When Indoor Temps Rise, So Do COPD Symptoms
- COPD Deaths Down for Most Americans: CDC
- FDA Bolsters Warnings About Class of Antibiotics
- Depression Plagues Many With COPD
- COPD Discovery Might Improve Treatment
- Many COPD Patients Have Trouble Finding Care
- Study Casts Doubt on Effectiveness of COPD Drug
- Health Tip: Struggling With Chronic Cough?
- VW Emissions Scandal May Cost 60 U.S. Lives, Study Claims
- Common Respiratory Diseases Tied to Lung Cancer Risk
- Health Tip: Do You Have Bronchitis?
- Too Many Antibiotics Still Prescribed for Sore Throats, Bronchitis: Studies
- Certain COPD Meds Might Raise Heart Risks, Study Says
- Health Tip: Treating Bronchitis
- Health Tip: Help Keep COPD in Check
- Tai Chi Benefits People With COPD
- More Americans Have at Least 2 Chronic Health Issues: CDC
- FDA Approves New Inhaler for COPD
- Fatigue in COPD Patients Often Precedes Hospitalization: Study
- Cough Medicine and Cough Syrups
- COPD Can Put a Damper on Sex Life
- 'Self-Managing' COPD Might Pose Risks, Study Suggests
- Acupuncture May Be Worth a Shot for COPD
- Cured Meat Products Linked to Lung Disease Flare-Ups
- Study: Vitamin D Has No Clear Benefit for COPD Patients
- Smoking's Effect on Lungs Similar to Cystic Fibrosis: Study
- Walking Speed May Indicate Severity of COPD
- Worst U.S. Air: Bakersfield Calif.; Best: Honolulu, Santa Fe
- Vitamin E May Lower Women's Lung Disease Risk