Patient Comments: Cholesterol - Medications

Are you taking medication to lower your high cholesterol? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Dotty M, Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a 57-year-old female who was diagnosed with high cholesterol four years ago. The doctor prescribed Zetia for a year with no significant change. Then he prescribed lovastatin, checked my liver levels in one month, and I had very little decrease in LDL and overall cholesterol levels. It was a little scary. I have always eaten okay and exercised a lot. So, after checking on alternative options, I did two things in the last three months. I went on Weight Watchers and lost 18 pounds and started taking red rice yeast, twice a day, and 600 mg in the morning and at night. My LDL dropped 70 points to 111 and my overall cholesterol dropped 42 points to 206! And my liver levels are normal! I am so pleased and look forward to my next lab work and doctor"s visit in April! I can"t wait to see my results then!

Comment from: kimbrly567, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I'm 45 years old and was diagnosed with high cholesterol 5 years ago. My doctor put me on 20 mg of Zocor. While on Zocor I noticed I was experiencing some brain fog and loss of memory. I tried taking it every other day and still nothing helped. My doctor said my cholesterol was back up so he increased my dose to 40 mg. Things got worse so I stopped taking it all together. I then started exercising, losing weight and eating better. I was tested again a year later and my cholesterol had not changed. I just started on Crestor so in 6 months we will see if this is better.

View the Cholesterol Levels Slideshow