High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride levels in an optimal range will help protect your heart and blood vessels. Cholesterol management may include lifestyle interventions (diet and exercise) as well as medications to get your total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, and triglycerides in an optimal range. Read more: Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Heart Disease: Causes of a Heart Attack
Learn about heart disease and heart attack symptoms and signs of a heart attack in men and women. Read about heart disease...
The Benefits of Omega 3 Foods on Heart Health
What are the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids? Learn how Omega 3 rich foods like fish oil, salmon, walnuts, & more can boost brain...
Lower Your Cholesterol, Save Your Heart
Need to lower your cholesterol levels? Use these smart diet tips to quickly and easily lower your blood cholesterol levels....
Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
What is heart disease (coronary artery disease)? Learn about the causes of heart disease. Symptoms of heart disease include chest...
Cholesterol Levels: What the Numbers Mean
Do you know the different cholesterol levels and what they mean? Learn the alphabet soup of cholesterol testing: LDL, HDL, good,...
Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains
What is dementia? Learn about dementia disorders such as Lewy Body Dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), Vascular (multi-infarct)...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Cholesterol: High Triglyceride Foods to Avoid
High triglycerides increase the risk of heart disease. Lower triglyceride levels and reduce cholesterol by eating foods that...
Screening Tests Every Man Should Have
Getting the right screening test at the right time is one of the most important things a man can do for his health. Learn at what...
Triglycerides Quiz: Are Yours Normal?
What are triglycerides? Triglycerides are particles in the blood that transport fat. They can put you at risk for serious...
High Cholesterol (Hyperlipidemia) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
High cholesterol can be a dangerous condition. Take the Cholesterol Quiz to understand what high cholesterol means in terms of...
Heart Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take our Heart Disease Quiz to get answers and facts about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis prevention, and the causes,...
Heart Health Pictures: How to Lower Triglycerides
Learn 14 ways to lower triglycerides. Learn to keep your heart healthy and triglyceride levels in check with these diet,...
Picture of Carotid Artery Disease
Also called carotid artery stenosis, the term refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries. See a picture of Carotid Artery...
Picture of Cholesterol
Cholesterol carried in particles of low density (LDL cholesterol) is referred to as the "bad" cholesterol because elevated levels...
Cholesterol Drugs: What to Expect With Heart Medication
When diet and exercise aren't enough, should you turn to drugs? Learn cholesterol basics, drug classes, and available drugs along...
The Worst Foods in Your Fridge
What are the worst foods to eat in your fridge? From mayonnaise to ice cream and butter to processed lunch meats, learn about the...
Food Swaps for Meals and Snacks for Heart Health in Pictures
Explore 10 food swaps for heart-wise dining. Learn what food to buy and how to cook in order to make a big difference for your...
Related Disease Conditions
12 Heart Attack Symptoms and Early Warning Signs
Recognizing heart attack symptoms and signs can help save your life or that of someone you love. Some heart attack symptoms,...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the bladder, kidneys, ureters, or urethra. E. coli, a type of bacteria that...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US. This conditions is caused by inflammation of the...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Iron is a mineral our bodies need. Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from not enough iron in the body. It is the most...
Rhabdomyolysis is a rapid deterioration and destruction of skeletal muscle. Some of the causes of rhabdomyolysis include:...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Intermittent claudication, or pain and cramping in the lower leg is caused by inadequate blood flow to the leg muscles. This lack...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence)
Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying...
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (Symptoms, Repair, Surgery, Survival Rate)
Abdominal aortic aneurysm is a ballooning or widening of the main artery (the aorta) as it courses down through the abdomen. Most...
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke)
When a portion of the brain loses blood supply, through a blood clot or embolus, a transient ischemic attack (TIA, mini-stroke)...
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes is a disease where your body does not make enough insulin or does not use insulin correctly, and you blood sugar...
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
How to Lower Triglycerides Naturally
Trigylcerides are fatty molecules that travel in the bloodstream. Excess sugar and fat can increase triglyceride levels....
High Blood Pressure Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Differences, Normal Ranges, Meanings)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to...
Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by markedly reduced appetite or total aversion to food. Anorexia is a serious...
Cushing's syndrome, sometimes referred to as hypercortisolism, is a hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure to high levels...
High Blood Cholesterol
Second Source article from Government...
Renal Artery Stenosis
Renal artery stenosis is a narrowing of the diameter of the renal arteries. When the renal arteries narrow, the result is...
Aortic dissection is a small tear in the large blood vessel that leads from the heart and supplies blood to the body. There are...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Binge Eating Disorder
Characteristics of binge eating disorder include eating more quickly than usual, eating until uncomfortably full, eating a lot of...
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
Heart Attack Treatment
A heart attack involves damage or death of part of the heart muscle due to a blood clot. The aim of heart attack treatment is to...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Stroke vs Aneurysm (Differences and Similarities)
A stroke or "brain attack" is caused because blood flow to an area of the brain has been cut off by a blood clot or by a weakened...
Coats' disease is a rare eye condition that typically progresses to vision loss or blindness in one eye. Gradual vision loss is...
Heart Attack Pathology: Photo Essay
A heart attack is a layperson's term for a sudden blockage of a coronary artery. This photo essay includes graphics, pictures,...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Treatment (PBC)
Primary biliary sclerosis (PBC) is thought to be an autoimmune disorder that involves the deterioration of the liver's small bile...
How to Lower Your Cholesterol
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Compulsive Overeating vs. Binge Eating Disorder
Compulsive overeating is eating more than needed. Binge eating disorder involves recurrent episodes of compulsive eating, even...
Disease Prevention in Men
Disease prevention in men includes routine screening tests that are part of basic prevention medicine. Take an active role in...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Cholesterol - Numbers
What are your cholesterol numbers?Post View 22 Comments
Cholesterol - Lifestyle
What lifestyle modification strategies are you using to manage your high cholesterol?Post View 8 Comments
Cholesterol - Medications
Are you taking medication to lower your high cholesterol?Post View 4 Comments
Cholesterol - Lowering Foods
Are you eating cholesterol-lowering foods to manage your high cholesterol?Post View 4 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Internist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Heart Disease FAQs
- High Cholesterol (Hyperlipidemia) FAQs
- Triglycerides FAQs
- What Causes Gallbladder Pain?
- Heart Disease Prevention in Women
- The China Study
- Cholesterol Treatment
- Grapefruit Juice and Drug Interactions
- Herbs: Toxicities and Drug Interactions
- Angina: Don't Take It Lightly
- Bill Clinton's Angioplasty and Stent Procedure
- Cholesterol: Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- ARBs & ACE Inhibitors...Powerful Blood Pressure Treatment
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Fats, Fish Oil and Omega-3-Fatty Acids
- 3 Day Diet
- Annual Physical Exam
- 17 Day Diet
- Mediterranean Diet
- Being Overweight Doesn't Mean You're Unhealthy!
- Ask the Experts - Cardiology
- How Does A Doctor Critically Review A Healthcare Product?
- Heart Disease Risk and C-reactive Protein (CRP)
- Cholesterol: The Truth About Cholesterol
- Cholesterol - Mr. D.T.'s Story of Hope
- Cholesterol Guidelines
- Trans Fats Banned in NYC
- ARBs and ACE Inhibitors..Hidden Benefits
- Heart Disease - Lessons Learned From Pitcher's Early Death
- Mr. Cheney's Chest Pain - And Heart Attack
- Statins - - Doing More Than Lowering Your Cholesterol?
- Beta Carotene Supplements Not the Answer for Cancer or Heart Disease
- Heart Disease Risks Reduced With Running
- Osteoporosis - EVISTA..... Wellness for Women?
- Olestra, Fake Fat
- Physical and Biochemical Changes in HIV Disease
Medications & Supplements
- Lipitor (atorvastatin)
- Nitrates (Medication)
- niacin (supplement) - oral, Slo-Niacin
- atorvastatin - oral, Lipitor
- simvastatin - oral, Zocor
- fluvastatin extended-release - oral, Lescol XL
- rosuvastatin - oral, Crestor
- fluvastatin - oral, Lescol
- ezetimibe - oral, Zetia
- lovastatin extended-release - oral, Altoprev
- pravastatin - oral, Pravachol
- niacin extended-release/lovastatin - oral, Advicor
- colestipol tablet - oral, Colestid
- colesevelam - oral, Welchol
- gemfibrozil - oral, Lopid
- cholestyramine - oral, Prevalite, Questran
- niacin extended-release - oral, Niaspan
- ezetimibe/simvastatin - oral, Vytorin
- lovastatin - oral, Mevacor
- Zocor (simvastatin)
- CHOLESTYRAMINE, COLESTIPOL-ORAL POWDER, GRANULES
- atorvastatin (Lipitor) vs. simvastatin (Zocor)
- Bile Acid Sequestrants
- ezetimibe, Zetia
- colestipol (Colestid)
- estradiol, Alora, Climara, Delestrogen, Depo-Estradiol, Divigel, Elestrin, Estrace, and Others
- fenofibrate (Antara, Fenoglide, Fibricor, Lipofen, Lofibra, Tricor, Triglide, Trilipix)
- garlic (allium sativum l.) - oral
- green tea (camellia sinensis) - oral
- gemfibrozil, Lopid
- amlodipine/atorvastatin - oral, Caduet
- lovastatin, Mevacor, Altoprev
- bulk-forming laxatives - oral
- pravastatin, Pravigard PAC (discontinued)
- niacin, Niacor, Niaspan, Slo-Niacin, Nicolar (discontinued)
- Repatha (evolocumab)
- ezetimibe and simvastatin, Vytorin
- evening primrose oil
- fluvastatin, Lescol, Lescol XL
- colesevelam, Welchol
- esterified estrogens and methyltestosterone, Estratest, Estratest HS
- Saxenda (liraglutide injection)
- flaxseed (linum usitatissimum) - oral
- red yeast rice (monascus purpureus) - oral
- soy (glycine soya) - oral
- blue-green algae (Cyanobacteria, Spirulina)
- lovastatin vs. simvastatin
- cerivastatin, Baycol
- alirocumab (Praluent)
- niacin and lovastatin, Advicor
- Black Psyllium
- English Walnut
- Soybean Oil
- Xanthan Gum
- Inositol Nicotinate
- Gamma Oryzanol
- Rice Bran
- Blond Psyllium
- Sweet Orange
- Guar Gum
- Niacin And Niacinamide (Vitamin B3)
- Red Yeast
- Green Tea
- Fish Oil
- Cod Liver Oil
- Beta Glucans
- Macadamia Nut
- Climara Pro
- Premarin Injection
Prevention & Wellness
- The 411 on High Triglycerides
- Do Statins Raise Odds for Type 2 Diabetes?
- Stroke Risk Factors Are Rising
- Can You 'Om' Your Way to a Healthy Heart?
- Many Patients Denied Costly New Cholesterol Drugs
- U.S. Pays a Hefty Price for Obesity
- The Benefits of Simply Moving More
- Health Tip: Healthy Brain Suggestions
- 'Healthy' Obese Still Face Higher Heart Risks
- Remember This: A Healthy Body Keeps the Mind Sharp, Too
- Statins Help Healthy People Lower Their 'Bad' Cholesterol
- Statins May Help People With COPD Live Longer
- Evolution Not Over for Humans
- Calcium in Arteries May Best Predict Risk of Heart Attack, Stroke
- Marriage a Blessing for Heart Attack Patients
- Drug May Fight Heart Disease in Whole New Way
- More Support for Tight Blood Pressure Control
- New Cholesterol Drugs Vastly Overpriced, Study Contends
- Wellness Visits for Better Well-being
- High-Cal Foods May Raise Cancer Risk in Women, Even Without Weight Gain
- Powerful New Cholesterol Med Won't Harm Memory, Easing Concerns
- A Little Drinking Might Lengthen Your Life: Study
- 'Fat But Fit' a Myth?
- Health Tip: The Facts About Fat
- Stroke Rates Drop for U.S. Men, But Not Women
- Does Less Sleep Make You Less Healthy?
- Less Than Half of U.S. Stroke Patients Get Rx for Statins
- Stopping Statins After Stroke May Raise Risk of Another
- Is the 'Anti-Statin' Trend Threatening Lives?
- Healthy Heart in 20s, Better Brain in 40s?
- 'Simple 7' Steps Can Help Improve Blood Pressure in Blacks
- Severe Head Injury May Raise Dementia Risk Years Later
- Some Prostate Drugs May Do Harm
- More Americans Are Walking for Exercise
- Elevated Protein Level Increases Blacks' Risk of Kidney Disease
- Fewer Americans Hospitalized for Heart Failure
- Vaccine Curbs High Cholesterol in Mice
- Study Hints at Link Between Some Statins, Parkinson's Risk
- Could Certain Hair Dyes, Relaxers Raise Breast Cancer Risk?
- Healthy Dietary Fats Help Beat High Cholesterol
- Are You at Risk for Metabolic Syndrome?
- Fried Potatoes Linked to Increased Risk of Early Death
- Excess Alcohol May Speed Muscle Loss in Older Women
- New Cholesterol Fighting Meds Target Key Gene
- Study Casts Doubt on Need for Statins in the 'Healthy Old'
- Anabolic Steroids May Tax the Heart
- Dying Patients Often Given Medicines That Won't Help Them
- Many Under 40 May Not Need Regular Cholesterol Checks: Study
- Fido or Fluffy Can Bring You a Big Health Boost
- What Harms the Young Heart Also Hurts the Brain Later
- Too Many People Still Ignore Heart Attack Risks: Study
- Arthritis Drug Shows Promise for Ulcerative Colitis
- Waist Size, Not Weight, May be Key to Life Span
- The Top 5 Conditions That Shorten Americans' Lives -- And Are Preventable
- Many Heart Attack Patients Fail to Stick With Statins
- Blood Pressure: Know Your Numbers
- More Younger Americans Are Suffering Strokes: Study
- The Grayer His Hair, the Higher His Heart Risk?
- Many Americans Don't Know How to Handle High Cholesterol
- Who Really Needs Blood Pressure, Cholesterol Meds?
- Keys to Heart Disease Care: Communication and Trust
- Race Plays Role in Heart, Diabetes Risk, Even at Normal Weight
- Elite Runners, Women the First Marathoners to Lose to Father Time
- What You Need to Know About Cholesterol
- Leg Pain When Walking: Talk to Your Doctor
- Daily Glass of Beer, Wine Might Do a Heart Good
- Guidelines May Miss Need for Statins in Many U.S. Blacks
- New Cholesterol Drugs May Beat Statins, But Price Tag Is High
- Remote Amazon Tribe May Have Healthiest Hearts on Earth
- Guidelines May Miss Need for Statins in Many U.S. Blacks
- Taking Statins May Boost Heart Surgery Outcomes
- Too Much Screen Time May Raise Kids' Diabetes Risk
- Fish Oil Pills May Help After Heart Attack, Specialists Say
- Health Tip: Help Kids Maintain Healthy Cholesterol
- 1 in 7 Obese People Has Normal Blood Pressure, Cholesterol
- Cholesterol's Impact on Heart Attack Risk May Change With Age
- Some Health Fads May Not Be All That Healthy
- What Works Best to Help Overweight Folks Eat Healthier?
- 10 Daily Servings of Fruits, Veggies a Recipe for Longevity
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Help Obese Patients Beat Diabetes
- Health Tip: Enjoy Beans
- Mediterranean Diet Plus Olive Oil a Boost to Heart Health?
- Heart Disease Affects Far More Than the Heart
- Heart-Healthy Tips for Your Grocery List
- Palm Oil: The New Fat Under Fire
- Know Your Heart's Numbers
- Too Many Americans Have High Blood Pressure, Doctors Warn
- Heart Risks May Boost Women's Colon Cancer Risk, Too
- Timing of Your Meals Might Reduce Heart Risks
- Kids' Sugary Drink Habits Start Early
- 'Red Yeast Rice' Statin Alternative Not Harmless Either, Study Says
- Could Mom's Pre-Pregnancy Blood Pressure Predict Baby's Gender?
- Blood Levels of Meat-Linked Chemical Tied to Odds of Heart Trouble
- Brisk Walk May Help Sidestep Heart Disease
- Weight-Loss Surgery Offers Long-Term Benefit to Very Obese Teens
- Plant-Based Diets Score Big for Healthy Weight Loss
- Many Young Adults With High Cholesterol Not on Statins as Recommended
- Routine Checkup Should Assess Fitness, Too
- U.S. News & World Report Again Ranks the DASH Diet as the Best Overall Diet
- Diabetes Takes Biggest Bite Out of U.S. Health Care Spending
- Does Santa's Diet, Lifestyle Earn Him a Stocking Full of Coal?
- High Pain Tolerance Tied to 'Silent' Heart Attack Risk
- HIV May Double Odds of Heart Attack
- Serious Yoga Injuries, Though Rare, Are on the Rise
- Prices Skyrocket on Drugs Widely Used by Seniors: Report
- Where You Live May Determine How You Die
- Whether Statins Cut Alzheimer's Risk May Depend on Gender, Race
- Certain Breast Cancer Drugs Tied to Blood Vessel Damage
- Normal Blood Pressure in Clinic May Mask Hypertension
- Americans' Cholesterol Levels Keep Falling
- Vegetarian Diets Called Good for People and the Planet
- Doctors Should Counsel Even Low-Risk Patients on Heart Health
- Smoking Raises Heart Attack Risk 8-Fold in People Under 50
- Drug Combo for Irregular Heartbeat Might Raise Bleeding Risk
- Pessimism May Take Unwelcome Toll on the Heart
- Can Time-Release Capsules Replace Daily Pills?
- Coming Soon: Lower Cholesterol From a Twice-a-Year Shot?
- U.S. Heart Disease Rates Fell 20 Percent Since 1980s: Study
- High-Dose Statins Boost Survival: Study
- Follow-Up Appointments Boost Weight-Loss Surgery Success
- Does 'Good' Cholesterol Matter in Heart Disease Risk?
- Take Meds as Directed to Boost Survival After Heart Procedures
- Is It Really True That Chocolate May Be Good for You?
- Digestive Byproduct Tied to Meat Raises Risks for Some Heart Patients
- Are Vegetarian Diets Heart-Healthier?
- Statins Often Interact With Other Heart Drugs
- What Twins Are Teaching the Rest of Us
- Health Tip: Health Risks of Childhood Obesity
- Are There Alternatives to Statins?
- 'Spare Tire' May Be Tougher on Your Heart Than 'Love Handles'
- Study: Colonoscopy After 75 May Not Be Worth It
- Severe Obesity and Heart Failure
- Experts Weigh In On Newly Released Health Information From Clinton, Trump
- Sugar Companies Shifted Focus to Fat as Heart Harm: Study
- Many With Diabetes Missing Out on Statins
- A Woman's Weight Has Complex Link to Stroke Risk
- Thyroid Levels in High-Normal Range May Be Linked to Cardiac Arrest
- Want Better Heart Health? There's an App for That
- Heart Attack Before 50 Ups Early Death Risk
- Drug-Coated Stents Don't Improve Patient Survival, Large Study Reports
- Fewer Drugs in Pipeline to Treat World's No. 1 Killer
- Study Bolsters Role of Angioplasty, Stents in Heart-Attack Survival
- Health Tip: Protect Yourself From Hardened Arteries
- Task Force Calls for More Study Into Risks, Benefits of Kids' Cholesterol Screening
- Heart Risk Factors Rise Before Menopause
- Lots of Red Meat, an Earlier Grave?
- Fat May Not Hike Heart Attack Risk: Study
- Treating Psoriasis May Reduce Risk for Other Ills
- Lack of Fitness Second Only to Smoking as Predictor of Early Death: Study
- 'Walking Meetings' May Boost Employee Health, Productivity
- Even High-Fat Mediterranean Diet Good for You: Review
- Cutting Down on Sweets Can Help Kids' Hearts
- Health Before a Stroke Is Big Predictor of Second Attack
- Rising Blood Sugar Hitting More Obese Adults
- Dietary Mineral Could Be One Key to Blood Pressure Control
- Could Statins Help Fight Cancer?
- Has Butter Gotten a Bad Rap?
- Inherited Cholesterol Disorder Significantly Boosts Heart Risks
- Another Potential Use for Statins?
- Many Male Docs May Overlook Female Heart Risks: Study
- Aspirin Often Wrongly Prescribed for Atrial Fibrillation
- Can Drugmakers Buy Doctors' Loyalty With Cheap Meals?
- Just a Little of Statins' Effect Enough to Help Heart: Study
- Heart Disease Down Among Over-40 Americans
- For Better Heart Care, Get a Pharmacist on Your Team
- Diabetes Drug Victoza May Help the Heart: Study
- Mixed News on Drinking and Heart Health
- Could Eating More Whole Grains Help You Live Longer?
- 6 Ways Women Can Take Care of Their Tickers
- More Evidence That Smog a Heart Threat
- Joe Montana Scoring Points Against Heart Disease
- Stroke Hospitalization Down for Many in U.S.
- FDA to Re-examine What Makes a Food 'Healthy'
- Statins Might Protect People With Narrowed Leg Arteries
- Weight Loss Surgery May Boost Good Cholesterol in Obese Boys
- No Statins Before Heart Surgery, Study Suggests
- Many Heart Bypass Patients Don't Take Needed Meds
- Statins Might Not Lower Colon Cancer Risk: Study
- Pharmacists Can Manage Some Chronic Conditions Effectively, Study Suggests
- Obesity in Teens Seems to Raise Risk for Illness, Death in Middle Age
- Study Questions Health Value of Switching From Butter to Vegetable Oils
- Health Tip: Exercise for a Healthier Heart
- Exercise May Counter Harms From Too Much Sitting, Study Says
- The Health Risks Posed by Mindless Munching
- Berries: Big Health Benefits in Small Packages
- 'Paleo' Diet May Help Older Women's Hearts, Waistlines
- Skipping Meds Greatly Ups Heart Patients' Risk of Stroke: Study
- Health Tip: Get the Scoop on Avocados
- Mammograms May Also Help Spot Heart Disease, Study Suggests
- Daytime Sleepiness, Long Naps Linked to Heart Risks: Study
- U.S. Heart Disease Deaths Shifting South
- A Healthy Heart May Protect an Aging Brain
- Genetic High-Cholesterol Condition More Common Than Thought
- Optimistic Outlook May Boost Hispanics' Heart Health
- One Alcoholic Drink Might Temporarily Bump Up Heart Risk
- Poor Sleep May Not Add to Cholesterol Problems, Study Finds
- Healthier Arteries May Lower Dementia Risk in Old Age
- Certain Jobs Hazardous to Your Heart Health, Study Finds
- Parents, Take Heed: Your Kids Copy Your Heart Health Habits
- Are Women the Key to Unlocking Alzheimer's?
- Seven Steps Toward a Healthier Heart
- Stroke Risk May Be Greater for Certain Migraine Sufferers: Studies
- Cholesterol in Eggs May Not Hurt Heart Health: Study
- New Type of Weight-Loss Surgery May Be Less Risky, Cheaper
- Health Tip: Eating Red Meat
- 'Obese' May Not Always Equal Unhealthy: Study
- Eating More Healthy Fats May Extend Life, Study Suggests
- Health Tip: Follow the 'Simple 7' For a Healthier Heart
- Statins Aid Bypass Surgery Recovery, Research Shows
- Statins May Reduce Heart Risks Linked to Sleep Apnea: Study
- Newer Blood Pressure Drugs as Good as Older Ones: Study
- DASH Diet Ranks Best for Sixth Time
- Should You Be Taking Aspirin Daily?
- U.S. Task Force Stays Neutral on Cholesterol Screening for Kids
- U.S. Task Force Backs Statins for Those 40 to 75 at Heightened Heart Risk
- One in Five U.S. Kids Over Age 5 Has Unhealthy Cholesterol: CDC
- Screen All Kids for Cholesterol, Depression and HIV, Pediatricians' Group Says
- Too Few Americans Are Taking Needed Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs: CDC
- Negative News on Statins Tied to Dropped Prescriptions
- 1 in 8 American Adults Still Have High Cholesterol: CDC
- 'Cash for Lower Cholesterol' Program Works With Doc-Patient Teams
- Too Few U.S. Hispanics Have Cholesterol Under Control
- Statins May Dampen Protective Powers of Flu Vaccines
- Cutting Sugar From Diet Boosts Kids' Health Immediately: Study
- Death Rates From Major Illnesses Fall in U.S.
- No Need to Stop Taking Statins Before Surgery, Study Finds
- During Menopause, 'Good' Cholesterol May Lose Protective Effect on Heart
- Study Sees Link Between High Cholesterol and Tendon Trouble
- Could a Texting App Help Your Heart?
- Not All Trans Fats Harm the Heart, German Study Contends
- Gut Bugs May Affect Body Fat, 'Good' Cholesterol Levels
- Cutting Calories May Help You Fend Off Age-Linked Disease: Study
- Your Heart Is Likely 'Older' Than You Are
- FDA Approves Repatha for High Cholesterol
- FDA Approves Second Drug in New Class of Cholesterol-Lowering Medications
- No Mental Benefits Seen for Elderly Who Stop Blood Pressure Meds
- Sharp Spike Seen in Statin Use in Elderly Without Heart Disease
- Jury Still Out on Whether Saturated Fat Is Bad for You, Researchers Say
- More Evidence That Southern Cooking Boosts Heart Risk
- Stand, Don't Sit, to Get Healthier, Researchers Say
- New Drug Lowers Levels of Triglyceride Blood Fats: Study
- Praluent Approved to Treat High Cholesterol
- FDA OKs First of New Class of Cholesterol Drugs
- Healthy Diet May Help Shield the Aging Brain
- Wider Use of Statin Drugs Could Save Thousands More Lives: Report
- FDA Strengthens Warning on NSAIDs and Heart Risk
- Chronic Ills May Add Up to a Shortened Life Span
- Some People Do Age Faster Than Others
- Calcium Scan Can Predict Premature Death Risk, Study Says
- Do Cholesterol Drugs Affect Aggression?
- Parents' Genetic Similarities Could Affect Kids' Height, Intellect
- Menopausal Women at Lower Heart Risk Than Men of Similar Age
- Statins Might Reduce Complications After Major Lung Surgery
- Fat No Longer the Focus of New U.S. Dietary Guidelines
- Half of U.S. Hispanics With High Cholesterol Unaware They Have It: Study
- Health Tip: What's Behind High Cholesterol?
- More Than Two-Thirds of U.S. Adults Now Overweight or Obese: Study
- FDA Seizes Counterfeit Drugs, Devices Sold Online
- Can U.S. Health-Care System Afford New, Improved Cholesterol Drugs?
- Seeing Their Clogged Arteries Can Spur Healthy Changes in Patients
- FDA: Farewell to Trans Fats
- FDA Ban on Harmful Trans Fats Expected Soon
- A New Way to Treat High Cholesterol?
- FDA Advisers Recommend Approval of First of 2 New Cholesterol Drugs
- Statins Pose No Greater Harm to Memory, Study Suggests
- Cholesterol Drugs May Boost Outcomes After Bypass
- Don't Give Heart-Healthy Patients Blood Pressure Drugs Before Surgery: Study
- Health Tip: Exercise Boosts Heart Health
- Heart Risk Factors May Harm Black Women More Than Whites
- One-Third of Americans Have Dangerous Mix of Heart Risk Factors
- Cholesterol Drugs May Lower Stroke Risk for Healthy Older Adults
- Health Tip: Cutting Down on Cholesterol in Kids' Diets
- Staying Fit May Delay Onset of High Cholesterol, Study Finds
- Tips to Detect Early Warning Signs of Stroke
- Statins May Slow Prostate Cancer Progression: Study
- Americans' Blood Triglyceride Levels Dropping: CDC
- High-Protein Diet May Be Dangerous for Those at Risk of Heart Disease
- Many Aging Boomers Face Chronic Illness, But Death Rate Is Falling: CDC
- Can Statins Help Lower Lung Cancer Death Risk?
- Hispanic Women's Upbeat Outlook May Boost Heart Health
- New Drug Class Slashes 'Bad' Cholesterol, Review Finds
- Daily Aspirin Taken by More Than Half of Older U.S. Adults
- Statins Carry Some Risk for Seniors, Study Suggests
- New Guidelines Would Greatly Boost Number of Young People on Statins
- Could an Apple a Day Help Keep the Pharmacist Away?
- Terminally Ill Can Do Without Statins, Study Finds
- Blood Fats Hold Vitamin E Captive, Study Shows
- Kids' Bad Diets May Mean Worse Health as Adults
- Experimental Drug Shows Promise in Lowering Cholesterol, Heart Attack Risk
- Coffee and Your Health: FAQ
- Statins May Help Improve Prostate Cancer Survival: Study
- Nuts Linked to Better Heart Health for Teens
- Another Study Finds Mediterranean Diet May Cut Heart Risks
- Statins Linked to Raised Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Love Coffee? Your Heart May, Too
- Poor Response to Statins May Mean Clogged Arteries
- U.S. Dietary Guidelines Take Aim at Sugar
- U.S. Advisers Rethink Cholesterol Risk From Foods: Report
- Is the Advice on Fat in Your Diet Wrong?
- Prolonged High Cholesterol in Middle Age Raises Heart Risk Later: Study
- An Optimistic Outlook May Be Good for Your Heart
- How Intense Efforts Boosted Heart Health for One Maine Community
- More Than 1 in 10 Use Daily Aspirin Inappropriately
- Avocados Help Lower Cholesterol in Some People
- Top Healthy Habits for Your Heart
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Extend Lives, Study Finds
- More Evidence That Healthy Living Works Wonders for Women's Hearts
- Study Debunks Notion of 'Healthy Obesity'
- DASH Diet Is Tops Again, Fifth Year in a Row
- Poverty Makes Diabetes Care Tougher, Study Reports
- Nearly All Diabetics Should Be on Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs: Experts
- Number of Americans Taking Statins Keeps Rising: CDC
- Certain Antibiotic/Statin Combos May Be Unsafe Mix: Study
- Only 4 in 10 Americans Eat Heart-Healthy Nuts Each Day, CDC Says
- 'Low-GI' Diet May Not Benefit Blood Sugar
- Yoga May Cut Heart Disease Risk Factors
- Progress Still Needed on 'Race Gap' in Older Americans' Health
- Cost of Job-Based Health Insurance Outpaces Family Income: Report
- Daily Statin Might Raise Your Risk for Cataracts: Study
- Obesity Can Cause 'Silent' Damage to Heart
- Statins Won't Help Protect Bones, Study Finds
- Most Seniors Could Use Statins Under New Guidelines
- New Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs Show Promise
- Trans Fats May Sap Your Memory
- Feeling 'Worn Out'? Your Heart May Pay the Price
- Cholesterol Drug Vytorin Linked to Reduced Heart Attack Risk
- Experimental Cholesterol-Lowering Drug Effective, Study Reports
- Cocaine Can Cause Heart Problems: Study
- Asthma Raises Heart Attack Risk, Research Suggests
- Researchers Find Gene Mutation That May Protect Against Heart Disease
- Why Eating Less Red Meat May Help Your Heart
- 'Longevity Gene' One Key to Long Life, Research Suggests
- Bed Position Matters for Stroke Patients, Report Shows
- 'Purpose in Life' a Boon to Your Health
- Hormone Therapy May Up Heart-Related Deaths in Some Prostate Cancer Patients
- Would Alternative Payment Plan Cut Medical Bills?
- Knowing Genetic Risk for Cancer May Not Change Behavior
- Study Finds U.S. Diets Still Contain Too Many Bad Fats
- Regular Doctor Visits Help Control Blood Pressure, Study Says
- Some Lung Patients Buy Cigarettes Along With Meds at Pharmacies: Study
- Frequent Dining Out Might Widen Your Waistline, Study Finds
- If You Do Gain Weight, Polyunsaturated Fats May Prevent Some Damage
- Another Study Links Mediterranean Diet to Better Heart Health
- E-Doctors: Virtual Visits Give Patients Options
- High Cholesterol Tied to Prostate Cancer's Return in Study
- Egg-Rich Diet Not Harmful in Type 2 Diabetes
- U.S. Life Expectancy Hits Record High of Nearly 79 Years: CDC
- Health Tip: Troubled by High Triglycerides?
- Mini-Strokes May Lead to PTSD, Study Finds
- Scientists Explain Why Statins Raise Diabetes Risk
- Study: Healthy Lifestyle Behaviors May Prevent 80 Percent of Heart Attacks
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Help After Certain Strokes
- Doctors, Patients Embrace Technology in Medicine
- Tight Blood Sugar Control Doesn't Prevent Strokes in Diabetics: Study
- Older Patients More Likely to Fill Prescriptions for Generic Statins: Study
- Nuts & Your Health: What to Know
- Statins May Help Kids With Genetic Cholesterol Disorder
- Statins May Help Prevent Diabetes-Related Nerve Damage, Study Finds
- Short Walks Can Offset Long Stretches of Sitting
- Diet, Exercise Counseling Urged for Overweight Americans With Heart Risks
- Big Drop in U.S. Heart-Related Hospitalizations and Deaths, Study Finds
- More Docs Wonder If Statins Are Worth the Risks
- Man's Rare Condition May Open Door to New Alzheimer's Treatments
- Women, Blacks Hit Harder by Heart Disease Risk Factors
- Doctors May Miss Out on Recommending Aspirin Therapy
- Cholesterol Drugs' Benefits Far Outweigh Side Effects, Review Finds
- Statins May Aid Survival From Colon Cancer
- Cholesterol Drugs May Speed Healing After Surgery
- High-Salt Diets Could Double Risk of Heart Woes for Diabetics
- Exercise May Help Counter Health Risks of Sedentary Lifestyle
- Do You Need to Fast Before a Cholesterol Test?
- Niacin Doesn't Reduce Heart Problems, May Create Some, Research Finds
- Experts Reject Routine Screening for Narrowed Neck Arteries
- Cholesterol Levels May Be Linked to Breast Cancer Risk
- People With Heart Disease, Diabetes May Be More Likely to Stay on Statins
- Rare Gene Mutations May Help Shield the Heart
- High Blood Pressure May Sometimes Be Overtreated: Study
- Low Cholesterol Levels May Spell Trouble for Kidney Cancer Patients
- Stopping Statins for Terminal Patients a Safe Option: Study
- Health Tip: Get Protein From Veggies
- More Americans Working to Control Blood Pressure, Cholesterol: CDC
- Cynics at Higher Risk for Dementia? Yea, Right
- Health Tip: Seniors Need Preventive Care
- Diabetes May Be Bigger Threat to the Female Heart: Study
- Adults With Autism at Risk for Many Health Problems: Study
- New Drug May Help Lower 'Bad' Cholesterol Beyond Statins
- Health Tip: Trim the Fat From Meat
- Prescription Drug Use Continues to Climb in U.S.
- Health Tip: Take Steps to Cut Cholesterol
- Intensive Insulin Therapy Might Aid Diabetics After Heart Attack
- Despite Childhood Obesity Epidemic, Few Kids Tested for Cholesterol
- One in 12 Older Americans Struggles to Afford Food: Study
- Is Healthy Obesity a Myth?
- Ironclad Findings About Red Meat's Harms?
- High-Fiber Diet May Aid Heart Attack Survivors
- Statin Users Eating More Bad Food Than a Decade Ago, Study Shows
- For Many Men, Impotence Is Treatable Without Drugs
- For Many Older Men, Impotence Is Treatable Without Drugs
- More People Worldwide Eating 'Healthy' Fats, Study Finds
- Nearly 10 Percent of U.S. Adults Now Have Diabetes: Study
- Less Salt Use Tied to Drop in U.K. Heart Deaths
- Beans, Lentils, Peas: Your Recipe for Lower Cholesterol?
- Sitting Too Much May Harm Health
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Boost a Man's Sex Life: Study
- New Drug Lowers Cholesterol Beyond What Statins Can Do, Study Finds
- Cholesterol Levels Spike During Winter Months, Study Finds
- Marriage Does Help the Heart, Study Finds
- Many Kids May Have High Cholesterol, Regardless of Weight
- 'Grazing' Appears No Better for Weight Loss Than Standard Meals
- Marathon Training Might Boost Heart Health
- Saturated Fats: Bad, Not So Bad?
- Almost 13 Million More Americans Could Take Statins Under New Guidelines
- Cholesterol Drug Might Help Slow MS Progression
- Myalept Approved for Rare Fat Tissue Disorder
- Kids' Checkups Should Include Cholesterol, Depression Tests, Doctors Say
- Low-Dose Statins Good Option for Some Heart Patients: Study
- Controlling Blood Pressure, Cholesterol May Not Boost Brain Health for Diabetics
- Design Flaws Plague Many Animal-Based Drug Studies, Researchers Say
- Statin Therapy May Prevent Delirium in Critically Ill Patients
- Merck Recalls Cholesterol Drug Liptruzet
- High Cholesterol May Be Particularly Bad for Middle-Aged Men
- Depression in Diabetes Patients Linked to Dementia, Study Finds
- Obesity Risk Factors May Vary for Boys, Girls
- Blood Pressure Swings Could Be Linked to Mental Decline: Study
- Americans Living Longer, Healthier Lives: Study
- Common Blood Pressure Drugs May Help Slow Dementia
- Skipping Breakfast a Recipe for Heart Disease, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Get More Bang for Your Beans
- Most Statin Users Won't Have Major Side Effects
- Do Heart Patients Get Too Many Cholesterol Tests?
- Stronger Statins Don't Up Kidney Injury Risk, Study Finds
- Saturated Fat May Make the Brain Vulnerable to Alzheimer's
- Statins Plus Certain Antibiotics May Set Off Toxic Reaction: Study
- Pace of New Drug Advances May Be Slowing, Study Finds
- Cholesterol Drugs Linked to Muscle, Joint Problems: Study
- More Kids Being Poisoned by Prescription Drugs: Study
- Statins May Hamper Workout Results
- Could Statins Raise Diabetes Risk?
- Hysterectomy May Not Raise Heart Risks After All: Study
- Typical Restaurant Meal Loaded With Fats, Salt, Calories: Studies
- Cholesterol Drugs Might Boost Kidney Cancer Survival
- Secondhand Smoke Tied to Lower 'Good' Cholesterol in Teen Girls
- Health Tip: Some Fats Are Healthier
- Heart Risks May Also Point to Dementia Risk
- Many U.S. Teens Have Poor Health Habits
- Statin Side Effects Often Manageable: Study
- Shopping Around Brings Steep Prescription Drug Savings, Report Finds
- Modest Cardiac Benefit From Chelation Therapy Not Enough to OK Use: Experts
- Health Tip: Lower Cholesterol
- High-Dose Statins Linked to Acute Kidney Damage
- Niacin Won't Help, May Harm Heart Patients: Study
- Cholesterol Levels May Vary By Season
- TV Ads for Statins May Drive Overtreatment
- Processed Meat May Play a Part in Early Death: Study
- High-Fiber Diet Helps Heart Too, Expert Says
- Eating Out Can Hurt Heart Health, Expert Warns
- Health Tip: Watch Your Cholesterol When Dining Out
- Niacin-Statin Combo May Cause Side Effects for Heart Patients
- Study Ties Gene to Dangerous Heart Valve Deposits
- Re-Analysis Refutes Diet Guidelines Favoring Vegetable Fats
- Drug OK'd for Deadly Genetic Condition Tied to Cholesterol
- For Diabetes: BP, Cholesterol Key v. Heart Disease
- Preventing Kidney Disease May Cut Diabetes Deaths, Study Says
- Health Tip: Should I Be Screened for Prediabetes?
- Doctor-Patient Communication Key to Sticking With Meds
- Juxtapid Approved for LDL Cholesterol Condition
- New Guidelines Seek to Streamline Care for Worst Heart Attacks
- U.S. Lifestyles Thwarting Heart Health Progress: Report
- Just Lowering Fat Intake Can Shed Pounds, Study Finds
- Kids With HIV at Risk of Heart Disease, Study Says
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
- Healthy Diet Helps Damaged Hearts
- Healthy Diet May Prevent Additional Heart Trouble
- Firm Stops Making Generic Lipitor After Recall
- Cholesterol Drug Boosts Wound Healing in Diabetic Mice: Study
- Supplements of Red Wine Antioxidant Don't Help Obese Men
- Statins Plus Exercise Best at Lowering Cholesterol, Study Finds
- Long-Term Use of Some Antipsychotics Not Warranted in Older Adults: Study
- Generic Lipitor Recall
- Health Highlights: Nov. 26, 2012
- More New Drugs a Bad Fit With Grapefruit, Study Finds
- Supplement Use Widespread Among Americans
- Diabetes Prevention: Start Small, Experts Say
- Regular Exercise May Help Seniors Stave Off Heart Failure
- Schizophrenia Patients Who Take Antipsychotics Live Longer, Study Says
- New Drug to Lower 'Bad' Cholesterol Shows Promise
- Antiviral Therapy May Cut Recurrence of Hepatitis B-Linked Liver Cancer
- Fasting May Not Be Needed Before Cholesterol Test
- Too Much Sitting Linked to Fat Buildup Around the Heart
- More Gene Variants Linked to Heart Trouble
- Statins Linked to Reduced Cancer Death
- Standard Dose of Blood Thinner May Not Be Best for All Patients
- Pregnancy Hormone Shows Promise as Heart Failure Drug
- Heart Deaths Spike in Winter -- Despite Temperature
- New Arthritis Drug Xeljanz Gets FDA Approval
- What to Do Now to Lower Heart Disease Risk Later
- Study Tallies Economic Fallout From Workers' Heart Attacks
- U.S. Adults Face Substantial Heart Disease Risk: Study
- Gene-Tweaked Tomatoes, Probiotics Aim to Lower Your Cholesterol
- New Drug May Help Those Who Can't Take Statins
- Many U.S. Hispanics Have Heart Disease Risk Factors
- Good Cholesterol Infusion May Help Unclog Arteries
- Health Tip: Keep Your Kidneys Healthy
- Health Tip: Enlist a Dietician
- Eating More Fruits, Veggies May Help Kidney Patients
- Fast-Food Breakfast Sandwiches May Slow Down Blood Flow: Study
- Red Wine Compound May Not Help Healthy Women
- Smoking, Diabetes Are Risk Factors for Poor Leg Circulation: Study
- 10-Minute 'Tension Tamer' at Bedtime May Help You Sleep: Study
- Bring on the Bean Diet for Health?
- Nationwide Study Examines Common Heart Procedures
- Many Older Heart Attack Survivors Don't Stick With Meds
- Study Questions the Value of Annual Physical Exams
- Cholesterol Levels Down Among U.S. Adults
- Diet, Exercise May Boost 'Good' Cholesterol, Study Suggests
- Fast Walking May Slash at Heart Disease, Diabetes
- Health Tip: All Fats Aren't Bad
- New MRI Might Help Spot Heart Disease Early: Study
- Health Tip: At Risk for High Cholesterol?
- 'Junk Food' May Significantly Hike Risk of Stroke, Researchers Say
- Stem Cell Transplant May Spur Heart Disease Risk: Study
- Study: Blood Tests for Inflammation Could Help Prevent Heart Attack, Stroke
- Statins Tied to Reduced Glaucoma Risk
- Poor Sleep in Teen Years Linked to Heart Risks in Adulthood
- Heart Disease Deaths in Europe Dropping: Report
- Screening Tool Reveals Two Multiple Sclerosis Types
- Child Obesity Risks May Be Greater Than Thought
- Sesame and Rice Bran Oil, Yogurt Help Blood Pressure
- Obesity Surgery Seems to Reduce Heart Risks, Study Says
- Heart Deaths Rise With Extreme Temperatures, Study Finds
- Blacks Less Likely to Stick to High Blood Pressure Diet: Study
- Comparison of Obesity Surgeries Turns Up Surprising Results
- Vitamin D in Pregnancy Critical for Brain Development, Study Says
- Docs' Sensitivity to Patients' Feelings Tied to Good Outcomes
- Health Tip: What's a Heart-Healthy Diet?
- More Adults Report Getting Cholesterol Tested
- Vitamin D Supplements Won't Help Cholesterol Levels: Study
- Many Heart Attacks May Go Unrecognized in Seniors
- It's Possible to Be Obese and Heart-Healthy: Studies
- Can Childhood Obesity Hinder the Brain?
- Obesity Might Lower Teens' Thinking Skills, Study Suggests
- Low-Cal Diets Kept Monkeys Healthier, But Didn't Lengthen Lives
- Can Chocolate Lower Your Risk for Stroke?
- Statin Use Tied to Possible Boost in Cataract Risk
- Gallstones in Kids, Teens Linked to Obesity
- Statins Won't Hurt, Might Even Help, Your Pancreas: Study
- Obesity in Middle Age Tied to More Rapid Mental Decline: Study
- Close Relative's Early Death May Raise Your Heart Risk: Study
- Health Tip: Am I at Risk for Gallstones?
- Egg Yolks Almost as Bad for Arteries as Smoking: Study
- Blood Type May Impact Heart Risk
- Statin Diabetes Risk Limited to Those at High Risk
- Normal-Weight People With Type 2 Diabetes Have Higher Death Risk: Study
- Cholesterol Levels Getting Better for U.S. Kids: CDC
- Some Improvement in Heart Risk Factors for Americans: CDC
- Task Force Updates EKG Recommendations
- Doctors Spar Over Cholesterol Screening in Kids
- Obese Kids May Be at Higher Risk for Heart Disease
- Childhood Abuse Linked to Diabetes, Heart Disease in Middle-Aged Women
- Many Medicaid Patients Skip Drugs That Could Prevent Heart Trouble
- The Health Benefits, and Risks, of Alcohol
- Preventive Measures Pay Off for Those at Risk of Stroke
- Physical Inactivity May Be as Deadly as Smoking
- Half of Heart Patients Make Medication Errors
- 40 Million Americans Addicted to Cigarettes, Alcohol or Drugs
- Exercise Program Boosts Health After Lung Transplant: Study
- FDA Approves Diet Pill Belviq
- 'Atkins'-Type Diets May Raise Risk of Heart Problems: Study
- All Calories Not Created Equal, Study Suggests
- 'Dessert' With Breakfast Boosts Weight Loss: Study
- Statins May Work Better in Men Than in Women
- Bariatric Surgery Cuts Heart Attack Risk for Years
- Fish Oil Won't Save Diabetics' Hearts, Research Suggests
- Early Menopause May Raise Risk for Brain Aneurysm
- Study: Statins May Be Linked to Fatigue
- Stem Cells Behind Clogged Arteries, Mouse Study Reveals
- Daily Low-Dose Aspirin Risks Seem to Outweigh Gains for Many: Study
- Can Too Much Exercise Be Harmful?
- Will Dark Chocolate a Day Keep the Doctor Away?
- Could Bloodletting Ease Heart Risks for the Obese?
- Drinking Red Wine Is Good for Gut Bacteria
- U.S. Liver Transplants Declining
- Death Rate Dropping for People With Diabetes
- Some Cholesterol Drugs May Slow Prostate Growth
- It's Not Just What You Eat, It's When You Eat, Mouse Study Finds
- Benefits of Widespread Statin Use Outweigh Risks: Study
- Raising HDL Levels May Not Lower Heart Attack Risk
- Americans Living Longer but Obesity Rising
- Fitness Fights High Blood Pressure Genes
- Eggs at Breakfast May Delay Hunger
- Fitness in Middle Age Lowers Medical Costs Later: Study
- Rate of Hospitalizations for Stroke Has Declined in U.S.
- Angioplasty May Be Risky for Those With Poor Leg Circulation
- Pot Belly Boosts Risk of Sudden Cardiac Death: Study
- Statins May Help Prevent Irregular Heartbeat in Elderly
- Can Testosterone Therapy Help Obese Men Lose Weight?
- Longer Commutes Can Put Us on Road to Poor Health
- Joggers Live Longer, Study Says
- Better Ways Needed to Track Drug Safety: Report
- Rate of Statin-Linked Muscle Woes Unclear, Study Suggests
- Health Highlights: April 25, 2012
- Cholesterol Levels in the U.S. on the Decline
- Health Highlights: April 24, 2012
- Pick Dark Chocolate for Health Benefits
- Diabetes Groups Issue New Guidelines on Blood Sugar
- Seniors Stop Taking Heart Drugs In Medicare 'Donut Hole'
- Weight-Loss Surgery Beat Drugs for Cutting Diabetes in Very Obese
- Role of Screening, Monitoring in Early Kidney Disease Unclear
- Mouse Study Hints at New Path for Diabetes Treatment
- Phthalates May Double Diabetes Risk
- Sibling Had a Stroke? Your Risk Might Rise, Too
- EKG Heart Test May Predict Risk in Older Adults
- Health Tip: Know Your Risk Factors for Atherosclerosis
- Cholesterol Levels Vary Widely by Country: Study
- Heavier Baby Girls at Higher Risk for Diabetes, Heart Woes as Adults
- Health Benefits of Chocolate Growing
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients Who Quit Statins May Face Raised Death Risk
- Moderate Drinking Helps Men After Heart Attack?
- New Injection Might Lower Tough-to-Treat Cholesterol
- Biologic Drug Lowers LDL Cholesterol
- Low-Dose Daily Aspirin Enough to Help Heart Attack Patients: Study
- Showing Patients Images of Their Clogged Arteries a Powerful Wake-Up Call
- Both Too Little and Too Much Sleep Bad for the Heart: Study
- Low 'Bad' Cholesterol Levels May Be Linked to Cancer Risk
- FDA Mulls Expanding Patients' Access to Certain Drugs
- Statin Alternative Looks Promising in Early Trials
- Could Statins Help Prevent Pneumonia?
- Could Trans Fats Make You Cranky?
- Your Neighborhood Can Affect Your Heart Health
- Health Highlights: March 12, 2012
- Can Statins Prevent Parkinson's Disease?
- Can Less Red Meat Add up to a Longer Life?
- Health Highlights: March 9, 2012
- Health Highlights: March 8, 2012
- Health Highlights: March 7, 2012
- Health Tip: Diabetics, Take Care of Your Feet
- Health Highlights: March 6, 2012
- Sickle Cell Blood Test Might Predict Severity of Disease
- Taurine May Help Women's Hearts
- Statin Risks Outweighed by Statin Benefits
- Could a Statin Lower Your Risk for Depression?
- Trans Fats May Raise Stroke Risk in Older Women
- CDC Report: Kids Still Eat Too Much Added Sugar
- New Warnings on Cholesterol-Lowering Statins
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Weight Loss Pill Qnexa
- Heart Attacks in Women: Different Symptoms, Different Outcomes
- Health Tip: How to Lower Your Risk of Stroke
- FDA Weighs Fate of Qnexa for Weight Loss, Again
- Treatment Advances Improve the Odds for Heart Failure Patients
- Millions of Women Are Unaware They Have Arterial Disease
- Health Highlights: Feb. 14, 2012
- Study: Even Some Vigorous Activity Boosts Kids' Heart Health
- Mediterranean Diet May Protect Brain
- In Mice, Cancer Drug Shows Effect on Alzheimer's Symptoms
- Big Drop in Americans' Blood Levels of Trans Fats, CDC Says
- Screening Moms-to-Be for Thyroid Trouble May Not Help Offspring
- Some Men May Inherit a Higher Risk of Heart Disease From Dad
- Health Highlights: Feb. 7, 2012
- Metformin Preferred Drug for Type 2 Diabetes, Experts Say
- Even for the Overweight, Exercise Helps the Heart
- It's 'Buyer Beware' When Getting Statins Off the Internet
- Fatty Diet Before Pregnancy Linked to Gestational Diabetes
- Statins Equally Effective in Women and Men
- Does Obesity Cause Pain?
- Too Much Fructose Sweetener Tied to Heart Risks in Teens
- Blood Pressure Differences Between Arms Could Signal Heart Risk
- Statins May Stave Off Liver Cancer in People With Hepatitis B
- Lifestyle Counseling Helps Diabetes Patients Control Blood Sugar
- Optimal Heart Health Starts Early: Study
- Risk for Heart Attack, Stroke May Be Underestimated
- CDC: Big Drop in Diabetes Amputations
- Fried Food and No Heart Disease?
- Environmental Chemicals May Thwart Kids' Vaccines
- Is Your Office Making You Sick?
- Natural Trans Fats Less Unhealthy Than Manmade Variety
- Magnesium-Rich Foods May Lower Stroke Risk
- Americans Aren't Getting Any Skinnier
- Aspirin Therapy for Heart Disease, Stroke Prevention Not for Everyone
- Low-Dose Aspirin to Prevent First Heart Attack or Stroke? Not So Fast
- Health Tip: Make Low-Cholesterol Salad Choices
- Statins May Raise Diabetes Risk in Older Women
- The Mainstreaming of Vegan Diets
- Health Tip: Improving Your Cholesterol
- Health Highlights: Dec. 20, 2011
- Health Tip: Manage Stress
- U.S. Heart Health: Lots of Room for Improvement
- Apnea Treatment Might Reduce Signs of Heart Disease Risk
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs Tied to Flu Survival
- Treating Prehypertension With Medication May Lower Stroke Risk
- Health Tip: Opt for a Healthy Weight-Loss Plan
- Generic Lipitor FAQ
- All Beans Aren't the Same in Gassy Side Effects
- Vision Problems Decreasing in People With Diabetes
- Nerve Damage May Play a Role in ED
- Obese Kids Who Lose Weight May Cut Heart Risk, Too
- Taking Many Medications May Raise Risk of ED
- Pill for RA Works as Well as Shot
- Sugar-Sweetened Drinks May Pose Heart Risks to Women, Study Suggests
- FDA Reconsiders Weight Loss Drug Qnexa
- New Research Calls Salt Guidelines Into Question
- Binge Eating Often Overlooked in Men
- Insomnia Might Boost Heart Attack Risk
- Study: Testosterone May Not Treat ED
- Doctors Not Stressing Follow-Up Plans With Obese Kids
- Family History Has Complex Role in Alzheimer's Risk
- Heart Attack Complications More Likely for Women Smokers
- Raising 'Good' Cholesterol May Cut Heart Risk in Diabetes Patients
- Hot Flashes Linked to Higher Cholesterol
- Fatty Acids From Formula or Breastfeeding May Boost Mental Development
- Lifestyle Changes May Improve Erectile Dysfunction
- Study: Americans Confused on Drug Benefits vs. Risks
- Are Signs of Old Age Really Something More Serious?
- Anger, Stress May Provoke Heart Attacks
- Sleeping Soon After Dinner May Raise Stroke Risk
- New Drug Boosts 'Good' Cholesterol
- Diet for Lowering Cholesterol: Soy Beats Low-Fat
- Ultrasound of Neck Predicts Who Will Have a Stroke
- Tool Helps Decide When to Get Weight Loss Surgery
- Gene Discovery Could Lead to New Stroke Treatments
- Heart Testing Overused, Report Finds
- Strokes During Pregnancy, Childbirth on the Rise
- Heart Disease Prevention Saves Lives and Money
- Not All Belly Fat Is Bad for the Heart
- Nuts Good for Some With Diabetes
- Healthy Lifestyle Cuts Risk of Sudden Cardiac Death
- Drinking Water May Cut Risk of High Blood Sugar
- Metformin: Safer for Heart Than Older Diabetes Drugs?
- Thin Gene Raises Heart Risks
- FDA Panel Rejects Gout Drug on Safety Concerns
- Moderate Exercise May Cut Risk of 'Silent' Stroke
- FDA Limits Highest Dose of Cholesterol Drug Statin (Includes Zocor, Vytorin, Simcor)
- USDA Ditches Food Pyramid for a Healthy Plate
- Atrial Fibrillation Raises Death Risk for Middle-Aged Women
- Study: Psoriasis in Kids Linked to Obesity, Heart Risks
- Decade's Top 10 Public Health Achievements
- Many Heart Patients Aren't Taking Needed Drugs
- Experimental Drug May Treat Chronic Constipation
- Many Strokes Occur in Sleep, Preventing Treatment
- Top 10 Food Trends: Hip May Not Mean Healthy
- The 10 Most Prescribed Drugs
- Calcium Supplements May Increase Heart Risk
- New Alzheimer's Guidelines Stress Early Diagnosis
- Lifestyle Changes Reduce Triglycerides
- Apples Good for Your Heart
- Vegetarians May Need to Boost Omega-3s, B-12
- Qnexa Yields Up to Nearly a 10% Weight Loss: Study
- Periodic Fasting May Cut Risk of Heart Disease, Diabetes
- Walnut May Be Top Nut for Heart Health
- 'Mini-Strokes' May Increase Risk of Heart Attack
- Diabetes Drug Actos May Also Help Prediabetes
- Cocoa Rich in Health Benefits
- Apple-Shaped Obesity, Other Forms Equally Risky, Study Finds
- Diabetes Risks Go Beyond Heart Attacks, Strokes
- What's the Best Test for Children's Diabetes?
- Fatty Liver May Be Linked to Diabetes Risk
- Heart Risk Tied to Memory Problems
- Moderate Alcohol Drinking May Boost Heart Health
- New Guidelines on Women's Heart Risk
- Salty Diet Linked to Stroke Risk
- Less Cholesterol in Eggs, USDA Says
- Many in U.S. Get Unneeded Heart Screening Tests
- Metabolic Syndrome Linked to Memory Loss
- New Debate on C-Reactive Protein Test and Statins
- Eating Trans Fats Linked to Depression
- Heart Benefits for Women Who Cut Hypertension
- 2 Genes May Be Linked to Heart Disease
- Sitting for Too Long Is Bad for Your Health
- NSAID Pain Relievers Raise Heart Risks
- Team Treatment Helps Depression, Chronic Disease
- Lipitor Recall Grows by 19,000 Bottles
- Psoriasis, Heart Disease, and Diabetes: What's the Link?
- Good Cholesterol May Lower Risk of Alzheimer's Disease
- Experts: Exercise Crucial for Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- Heart Attack Risk Quickly Follows RA Diagnosis
- Healthy Lifestyle May Help Prevent Stroke
- Arthritis Drugs Linked to Lower Odds of Alzheimer's
- Obese Teens at Risk for Severe Adult Obesity
- Pill Cuts Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
- Hormone in Hair May Reveal Heart Risk
- Atorvastatin Recall FAQs
- Coffee and Your Health
- Cholesterol Facts
- Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
- TLC Diet Daily Food Guide
- 10 Ways to Help Boost Your Good Cholesterol
- 5 Diet Resolutions for the New Year
- Pitavastatin (Livalo) Statin Drug Information
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- 10 Everyday Super Foods
- Mediterranean Diet Benefits
- Heart Health and Your Family History
- Heart Health Tips From a Top Cardiologist
- Vegetarian Diets
- Calcium Supplements: What To Look For
- Trans Fats...The Deadly Fat
- Cholesterol Specific References
- Insomnia: What You Eat Can Sabotage Your Sleep
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Overview of Functional Foods
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Fatty Fish, Heart Healthy
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Plant Sterols, Stanols
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Walnuts, Heart Healthy
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Oatmeal & Oat Bran
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Soy Protein
- Diet: Low Fat Diets
- Obesity: Health Risks Associated with Obesity
- Nutrition: 7 Solutions to Lighten Your Favorite Recipes
- Medical Conditions Doctors Miss
- Trans Fat Now On labels
- Counterfeit Lipitor Beware
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol: Daily Food Guide, Milk, Yogurt, Cheese
- Cholesterol Quiz - How to Lower Levels
- Lower Your Cholesterol - Get Physical!
- Palm Test For Skin Cholesterol
- Cholesterol & Heart Attacks
- Heart Healthy Guidelines
- National Cholesterol Education Month - September
- 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- New Dietary Guidelines Announced by HHS
- Health Benefits Of Physical Activity
- Laxity in Diabetic Care in the US
- Trans Fats Added To Nutrition Labels
- Cholesterol, How Much Do You Know?
- Fast Food Salads High in Fat
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide: Meats
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide: Eggs
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide: Fats and Oils
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide: Fruits and Veggies
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide: Breads
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide:Sweets and Snacks
- High Cholesterol Risk Factors
- Tips for Choosing Healthy Snacks
- Nutraceuticals, Functional Foods, Phytochemicals . . . Health-Protecting Foods
- Six Guidelines To Healthy Eating
- Nutrition - The Low-Down On Food Label Claims!
- Nutrition Savvy Quiz
- Fiber- What Is It?
- Cholesterol and Saturated Fats
- Healthy Eating Tips For Reducing Fat In Your Diet
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter