Trending Cholesterol Topics
Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol is the "bad" cholesterol, conversely, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol is the "good" cholesterol. High cholesterol treatment includes lifestyle changes (diet and exercise), and medications such as statins, bile acid resins, and fibric acid derivatives.
Watch this slideshow on Cholesterol levels and find out what it all means. Learn the alphabet soup of cholesterol testing: LDL, HDL, good, bad, and triglycerides. Pictures show tests, treatments, and critical foods from eggs to avocados.
Worried about high cholesterol? Watch this slideshow of 15 simple tips that can help you lower cholesterol levels and avoid heart disease.
Related Disease Conditions
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Differences, Normal Ranges, Meanings)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
High Blood Cholesterol
Second Source article from Government...
High Cholesterol: Frequently Asked Questions
Cholesterol occurs naturally in the body. High blood cholesterol levels increase a person's risk of developing heart disease,...
Low Cholesterol Diet
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Rhabdomyolysis is a rapid deterioration and destruction of skeletal muscle. Some of the causes of rhabdomyolysis include:...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Carotid Artery Disease
Also called carotid artery stenosis, the term refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries. See a picture of Carotid Artery...
Cholesterol Drugs: What to Expect With Heart Medication
When diet and exercise aren't enough, should you turn to drugs? Learn cholesterol basics, drug classes, and available drugs along...
Cholesterol Levels: What the Numbers Mean
Do you know the different cholesterol levels and what they mean? Learn the alphabet soup of cholesterol testing: LDL, HDL, good,...
Picture of Cholesterol
Cholesterol carried in particles of low density (LDL cholesterol) is referred to as the "bad" cholesterol because elevated levels...
High Cholesterol (Hyperlipidemia) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
High cholesterol can be a dangerous condition. Take the Cholesterol Quiz to understand what high cholesterol means in terms of...
Cholesterol: High Triglyceride Foods to Avoid
High triglycerides increase the risk of heart disease. Lower triglyceride levels and reduce cholesterol by eating foods that...
Heart Health Pictures: How to Lower Triglycerides
Learn 14 ways to lower triglycerides. Learn to keep your heart healthy and triglyceride levels in check with these diet,...
Lower Your Cholesterol, Save Your Heart
Need to lower your cholesterol levels? Use these smart diet tips to quickly and easily lower your blood cholesterol levels....
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Cholesterol Guidelines
- Cholesterol Treatment
- Cholesterol: HDL cholesterol ratio
- Cholesterol: Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- Cholesterol: The Truth About Cholesterol
- Does Exercise Lower Cholesterol?
- Does Stress Cause High Cholesterol?
- Fats, Fish Oil and Omega-3-Fatty Acids
- HDL: What should be done about low HDL levels?
- How Do I Lower My Cholesterol (Triglycerides)
- Is Lipitor Safe if I Have Fatty Liver?
- Do Bile Acid Resins Lower Cholesterol?
- Can Fibrate Drugs Lower Cholesterol?
- Does Nizoral Shampoo Interfere with Statins?
- Cholesterol - Mr. D.T.'s Story of Hope
- Rhabdomyolysis Symptoms and Causes
- Statins - - Doing More Than Lowering Your Cholesterol?
- What are Cholesterol-Lowering Statins?
- Cholesterol Guidelines for Adults (2001)
- What Foods Lower Cholesterol?
- What Are the Risks and Side Effects of Zocor?
Medications & Supplements
- alirocumab (Praluent)
- Lipitor (atorvastatin)
- cerivastatin, Baycol
- cholestyramine (Questran)
- colesevelam, Welchol
- colestipol (Colestid)
- Repatha (evolocumab)
- ezetimibe (Zetia)
- ezetimibe and simvastatin, Vytorin
- fenofibrate (Antara, Fenoglide, Fibricor, Lipofen, Lofibra, Tricor, Triglide, Trilipix)
- Fibrates (Fibric Acid)
- fluvastatin, Lescol, Lescol XL
- gemfibrozil, Lopid
- lovastatin, Mevacor, Altoprev
- niacin, Niacor, Niaspan, Slo-Niacin, Nicolar (discontinued)
- niacin and lovastatin, Advicor
- pravastatin, Pravigard PAC (discontinued)
- red yeast rice (monascus purpureus) - oral
- rosuvastatin, Crestor
- Zocor (simvastatin)
- Statins vs. Niacin
- verapamil (Calan, Verelan, Verelan PM [Discontinued: Isoptin, Isoptin SR, Covera-HS])
Prevention & Wellness
- AHA: New Report Emphasizes Safety of Statins
- Price of Cholesterol Drug Repatha Cut by 60 Percent
- Cholesterol Levels Spike After Christmas
- Could Too Much 'Good' HDL Cholesterol Be Bad for Your Heart?
- Evidence Doesn't Support Statin Use in Healthy Seniors
- Fast Facts for Men (and Women) About High Cholesterol
- Health Tip: Eat Less Saturated Fat
- Health Tip: Maintain Healthy Cholesterol
- Health Tip: Tracking High Triglycerides
- Heart-Breaking News for Egg Lovers
- New Cholesterol Drug's High Price May Not Be Worth It: Study
- New Drug Could Help Those With Tough-to-Treat Cholesterol
- New Cholesterol Guidelines Focus on Personalized Approach
- Some Foods Can Be Cholesterol Fighters
- Statins Help the Heart, No Matter What Your Age
- Why Are Statins Underused With Black Patients?
- 10 Ways to Help Boost Your Good Cholesterol
- Atorvastatin Recall FAQs
- Cholesterol & Heart Attacks
- Cholesterol and Saturated Fats
- Cholesterol Control Alternatives
- Cholesterol Facts
- Cholesterol Quiz - How to Lower Levels
- Cholesterol Specific References
- Cholesterol, How Much Do You Know?
- Cholesterol: Can Your Cholesterol Be Too Low?
- Counterfeit Lipitor Beware
- Fiber- What Is It?
- Heart: New Test to Predict Heart Disease
- High Cholesterol Risk Factors
- How Low Must Your Cholesterol Go?
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Fatty Fish, Heart Healthy
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Oatmeal & Oat Bran
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Overview of Functional Foods
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Plant Sterols, Stanols
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Soy Protein
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Walnuts, Heart Healthy
- Lower Your Cholesterol - Get Physical!
- National Cholesterol Education Month - September
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide: Breads
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide: Eggs
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide: Fats and Oils
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide: Meats
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide: Fruits and Veggies
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol - Daily Food Guide:Sweets and Snacks
- Nutrition Low Cholesterol: Daily Food Guide, Milk, Yogurt, Cheese
- Palm Test For Skin Cholesterol
- Pitavastatin (Livalo) Statin Drug Information
- TLC Diet Daily Food Guide
- Trans Fat Now On labels
- Trans Fats Added To Nutrition Labels
- Trans Fats...The Deadly Fat