Trending Cholesterol Topics
Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol is the "bad" cholesterol, conversely, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol is the "good" cholesterol. High cholesterol treatment includes lifestyle changes (diet and exercise), and medications such as statins, bile acid resins, and fibric acid derivatives.
Watch this slideshow on Cholesterol levels and find out what it all means. Learn the alphabet soup of cholesterol testing: LDL, HDL, good, bad, and triglycerides. Pictures show tests, treatments, and critical foods from eggs to avocados.
Worried about high cholesterol? Watch this slideshow of 15 simple tips that can help you lower cholesterol levels and avoid heart disease.
Related Disease Conditions
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
Cholesterol Levels: What You Need to Know
Managing your cholesterol levels can help to keep you healthy as you age....
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Good and Bad)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
High Blood Cholesterol
Second Source article from Government...
High Cholesterol: Frequently Asked Questions
Cholesterol occurs naturally in the body. High blood cholesterol levels increase a person's risk of developing heart disease,...
How Dangerous Is High Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is an important molecule that serves many vital functions in the body. High cholesterol is dangerous because it may...
Lower Cholesterol Levels with Diet and Medications
High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol is considered "good" cholesterol because it actually works to keep the LDL or "bad"...
Rhabdomyolysis is a rapid deterioration and destruction of skeletal muscle. Some of the causes of rhabdomyolysis include:...
What Are the Causes of High Cholesterol?
Your body naturally produces all the LDL (bad) cholesterol it needs. An unhealthy lifestyle – not enough exercise, too many...
What Does Bergamot Taste Like?
Bergamot is a fruit native to Southern Italy that is about the size of an orange. It has a citrusy taste and smell. It has been...
What Does It Mean to Have Hyperlipidemia?
Hyperlipidemia is a common issue that affects many people and has serious complications if left untreated. Learn the signs of...
What Is the Normal Range for Cholesterol Levels?
What is the normal range for cholesterol levels? Learn what cholesterol levels are, why cholesterol levels change, how doctors...
What Level of Cholesterol Is Too Low?
You know high cholesterol is bad, but can your cholesterol be too low? Yes. While less common, low cholesterol can affect your...
Why Would You Need Plasmapheresis?
Plasmapheresis is a procedure that removes antibodies against the person's own body cells and tissues (autoantibodies) from the...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Carotid Artery Disease
Also called carotid artery stenosis, the term refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries. See a picture of Carotid Artery...
Cholesterol Drugs: What to Expect With Heart Medication
When diet and exercise aren't enough, should you turn to drugs? Learn cholesterol basics, drug classes, and available drugs along...
Cholesterol Levels: What's Normal and How to Lower High Cholesterol
What do cholesterol numbers mean? LDL, HDL, good, bad, and triglycerides - Get the facts on cholesterol, blood testing,...
Picture of Cholesterol
Cholesterol carried in particles of low density (LDL cholesterol) is referred to as the "bad" cholesterol because elevated levels...
High Cholesterol (Hyperlipidemia) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
High cholesterol can be a dangerous condition. Take the Cholesterol Quiz to understand what high cholesterol means in terms of...
Cholesterol: High Triglyceride Foods to Avoid
High triglycerides increase the risk of heart disease. Lower triglyceride levels and reduce cholesterol by eating foods that...
Heart Health Pictures: How to Lower Triglycerides
Learn 14 ways to lower triglycerides. Learn to keep your heart healthy and triglyceride levels in check with these diet,...
How to Lower Your Cholesterol & Save Your Heart
Need to lower your cholesterol levels? Use these smart diet tips to quickly and easily lower your blood cholesterol levels....
Cholesterol & Triglycerides: Surprising Causes of High Cholesterol
You may think high cholesterol is linked to fatty foods and smoking. But some other causes may surprise you: certain coffees,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Cholesterol Guidelines
- Cholesterol Treatment
- Cholesterol: HDL cholesterol ratio
- Cholesterol: Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- Cholesterol: The Truth About Cholesterol
- Does Exercise Lower Cholesterol?
- Does Stress Cause High Cholesterol?
- Fats, Fish Oil and Omega-3-Fatty Acids
- HDL: What should be done about low HDL levels?
- How Do I Lower My Cholesterol (Triglycerides)
- Is Lipitor Safe if I Have Fatty Liver?
- Do Bile Acid Resins Lower Cholesterol?
- Can Fibrate Drugs Lower Cholesterol?
- Does Nizoral Shampoo Interfere with Statins?
- Cholesterol - Mr. D.T.'s Story of Hope
- Rhabdomyolysis Symptoms and Causes
- Statins - - Doing More Than Lowering Your Cholesterol?
- What are Cholesterol-Lowering Statins?
- Cholesterol Guidelines for Adults (2001)
- What Foods Lower Cholesterol?
- What Are the Risks and Side Effects of Zocor?
Medications & Supplements
- Actigall (ursodiol) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- alirocumab (Praluent)
- Lipitor (atorvastatin)
- cerivastatin, Baycol
- cholestyramine (Questran)
- colesevelam (Welchol)
- colestipol (Colestid)
- Repatha (evolocumab)
- ezetimibe (Zetia)
- ezetimibe and simvastatin, Vytorin
- fenofibrate (Antara, Fenoglide, Fibricor, Lipofen, Lofibra, Tricor, Triglide, Trilipix)
- Fibrates (Fibric Acid)
- FloLipid (simvastatin)
- fluvastatin (Lescol, Lescol XL)
- gemfibrozil (Lopid)
- Juxtapid (lomitapide)
- Lipitor (atorvastatin) vs. Vytorin (simvastatin and ezetimibe)
- Lipitor (atorvastatin) vs. Zetia (ezetimibe)
- Liptruzet (ezetimibe and atorvastatin)
- Livalo (pitavastatin)
- lovastatin (Mevacor, Altoprev)
- niacin (Niacor, Niaspan)
- niacin and lovastatin, Advicor
- Pravachol (pravastatin)
- pravastatin (Pravichol)
- red yeast rice (monascus purpureus) - oral
- Repatha (evolocumab)
- rosuvastatin, Crestor
- Side Effects of Advicor (niacin and lovastatin)
- Side Effects of Lipitor (atorvastatin)
- Side Effects of Baycol (cerivastatin)
- Side Effects of Questran (cholestyramine)
- Side Effects of Welchol (colesevelam)
- Side Effects of Colestid (colestipol)
- Side Effects of Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin)
- Side Effects of Antara (fenofibrate)
- Side Effects of Lescol (Fluvastatin)
- Side Effects of Lopid (gemfibrozil)
- Side Effects of Mevacor (lovastatin)
- Side Effects of Lovaza (omega-3-acid ethyl esters)
- Side Effects of Niacor (niacin, or nicotinic acid, vitamin B3)
- Side Effects of Repatha (evolocumab)
- Side Effects of Zocor (simvastatin)
- Zocor (simvastatin)
- Statins vs. Niacin
- verapamil (Calan, Verelan, Verelan PM [Discontinued: Isoptin, Isoptin SR, Covera-HS])
- Zypitamag (pitavastatin)
Prevention & Wellness
- 10 Ways to Help Boost Your Good Cholesterol
- Atorvastatin Recall FAQs
- Cholesterol & Heart Attacks
- Cholesterol Control Alternatives
- Cholesterol Facts
- Cholesterol Specific References
- Cholesterol: Can Your Cholesterol Be Too Low?
- Counterfeit Lipitor Beware
- Fiber- What Is It?
- Heart: New Test to Predict Heart Disease
- How Low Must Your Cholesterol Go?
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Fatty Fish, Heart Healthy
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Oatmeal & Oat Bran
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Overview of Functional Foods
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Plant Sterols, Stanols
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Soy Protein
- Low Cholesterol Diet: Walnuts, Heart Healthy
- Lower Your Cholesterol - Get Physical!
- National Cholesterol Education Month - September
- Palm Test For Skin Cholesterol
- Pitavastatin (Livalo) Statin Drug Information
- Trans Fat Now On labels
- Trans Fats Added To Nutrition Labels
- Trans Fats...The Deadly Fat