Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity include type 2 diabetes, heart attack, stroke, high cholesterol, asthma, sleep apnea, gallstones, fatty liver disease, GERD, depression, and eating disorders. Read more: Childhood Obesity Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Childhood Obesity Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Childhood obesity has reached epidemic proportions. Take the Childhood Obesity Quiz to test your knowledge of the facts and...
Tips For Raising Healthy Kids
Make smart choices about nutrition and help your child develop a positive relationship with healthy food. Read how to raise...
Quick Tips to Feed a Picky Eater With Pictures
Discover these quick tips for feeding a picky eater. See the problems found with picky eaters and learn parenting strategies to...
Related Disease Conditions
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
High blood pressure is defined as a pressure of 140/90 mmHg or higher in the arteries. Genetic factors, high salt intake, and...
Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Brain Tumor (Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, Survival Rates)
A brain tumor can be either non-cancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant), primary, or secondary. Common symptoms of a primary...
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS)
Thoracic outlet syndrome is a condition where symptoms are produced from compression of nerves or blood vessels because the...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to...
Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by markedly reduced appetite or total aversion to food. Anorexia is a serious...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
Emotional eating can be detrimental to one's efforts at weight loss. Learning to identify the situations and emotions that...
Depression in teenagers may be caused by many factors. Symptoms of teen depression include apathy, irresponsible behavior,...
Is Jock Itch (Tinea Cruris) Contagious?
Jock itch is a fungal infection in the groin area that causes a raised, itchy, red rash. Jock itch can typically be treated with...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Bullying is repeated physical or verbal aggression that involves an imbalance of power. Types of bullying include physical,...
Breastfeeding (and Formula Feeding)
It's important to know whether you will breastfeed or bottle-feed your baby prior to delivery, as the breasts' ability to produce...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Flatfoot (Pes Planus)
Flatfoot is a disorder in which the foot's entire sole is touching the ground while standing. Symptoms and signs of flatfoot...
Prader-Willi syndrome is a condition characterized by severe floppiness (hypotonia), poor growth, delayed development, and poor...
Asthma in Children
Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs...
How to Lower Your Cholesterol
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
How to Stop Snoring
Snoring is caused by the vibrations of the soft tissues at the back of the nose and throat while a person sleeps. There are many...
Childhood Obesity - Diagnosis
Was your child diagnosed as overweight or obese?Post View 2 Comments
Childhood Obesity - Causes
Why do you think your child is overweight or obese?Post View 2 Comments
Childhood Obesity - Treatment
What was the recommended treatment for your child's weight problem?Post
Childhood Obesity - Prevention
What steps have you taken to prevent childhood obesity?Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Childhood Obesity Overweight FAQs
- Can Artificial Sweeteners Raise Blood Sugar?
- Home and Family
- Kids: Parents May Be in Denial About Child's Weight
- Ask the Experts - Childhood Obesity
- Stress and Eating
- Heart Health: Choose to Move for a Healthy Heart
- Obesity in America
- Eating Habits: Family-Sized Portions
- Nutrition: Juice Drinks for Toddlers - How Much Is Too Much?
- Childhood Obesity: A Growing Problem
- Parenting: Help Your Kids Grow Up Healthy
- Obesity: How to Win the War Against Obesity
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- What It Takes to Get Teens Moving
- Shaming Overweight Kids Only Makes Things Worse
- Lunchtime H2O May Be Key to Curbing Kids' Obesity
- TV Ads Still Push Unhealthy Foods at Kids
- Childhood Obesity Up Worldwide Almost 10-Fold Over 4 Decades
- 'Green Schoolyards' May Bring Better Health to Kids
- Health Tip: Childhood Obesity Can Trigger Adult Problems
- Big Baby, Heavier Kid?
- How to Prevent Future Couch Potatoes
- Sugary Drinks in Pregnancy Tied to Heavier Kids Later
- Heavy Teens May Be Setting Themselves Up for a Stroke
- Community Intervention May Aid Fight Against Childhood Obesity
- 2 Billion Worldwide Are Obese or Overweight
- Overweight Kids Pay a Heavy Social Price
- No Fruit Juice Before Age 1, Pediatricians Say
- More Active Kids Could Save U.S. Billions in Health Costs: Study
- Health Tip: Concerned About Your Child's Weight?
- Fruit Juice for Kids: A Serving a Day OK
- Obesity in Youth Tied to Higher Odds for Liver Cancer in Men
- Kids Start Moving Less After Age 7, Study Finds
- Obese Moms May Fail to Spot Obesity in Their Own Kids
- Most Parents Don't Think They're Meeting Kids' Nutritional Needs
- Kids' Restaurant Meals Need Slimming Down: Nutritionists
- Some Kids' Genes Might Make Food Ads More Tempting
- Smartphones, Tablets and Weight Gain in Teens
- Fewer Babies in Poor Families Are Overweight: CDC
- TV Snack Ads Make Preschoolers Snack More: Study
- Could C-Section Birth Raise Child's Risk of Obesity?
- Kids 6 and Older Should Be Screened for Obesity, Task Force Reaffirms
- Big $ Spent Marketing Not-So-Healthy Baby, Toddler Foods: Study
- Lazy Summer Days Mean Weight Gain for Young Kids
- Weight-Loss Surgery Pays Off for Severely Obese Teens
- National School Lunch Program Serving Up Healthier Fare
- Obesity More Common Among Teens With Autism: Study
- Health Tip: Kids Don't Need a Low-Fat Diet
- How 'Mindful Eating' Can Keep Kids Slim
- Target Fast-Food Combo Meals to Cut Sugary Drinks for Kids: Study
- Day Care Doesn't Encourage Weight Gain in Kids
- Health Tip: Health Risks of Childhood Obesity
- Gardening May Give Kids' Diets a Boost
- Do Open Floor Plans Invite Overeating?
- Obese Kids Have Different Germs in Their Gut
- Health Tip: Make Time for Family Dinners
- Cesarean Birth Linked to Risk of Obesity in Childhood
- Diabetes Drug May Help Kids With Autism Fight Unwanted Pounds
- To Keep Teens Slim, Focus on Health not Weight
- Amish Lifestyle Brings Unexpected Benefit: Less Asthma
- Summer Days Shouldn't Be Lazy for Kids
- New Drug May Treat Rare Obesity Disorder Causing Constant Hunger
- Cutting Down on Sweets Can Help Kids' Hearts
- Obese Teens Take Weight-Loss Surgery in Stride
- Heavy Moms Likelier to Pile Food on Kids' Plates: Study
- Obese Preschoolers More Likely to Be Hospitalized
- Teen Obesity May Mean Liver Disease Later
- Great Recession Linked to Weight Gain in Kids
- Parents: Stay Mum on Daughter's Weight
- Do Big Bottles Kickstart Infant Weight Issues?
- Calling Your Kid 'Fat' Could Be Counterproductive
- 'Fat Shaming' Begins in First Grade
- What Doctors Aren't Telling Obese, Young Adults
- Late Dinners Won't Doom Kids to Obesity
- Hormone May Be Linked to Teenage Obesity
- Child Obesity Rates Drop in Canada
- Artificial Sweeteners During Pregnancy May Make for Heavier Infants
- Child's Obesity Tied to Mom's Pregnancy Weight: Study
- Weight Loss Surgery May Boost Good Cholesterol in Obese Boys
- Mom's Pre-Pregnancy Weight May Help Predict Child's Size
- U.S. Health Report Card Finds Racial, Ethnic Disparities Persist
- Rates of Severe Obesity Among U.S. Kids Still Rising: Study
- Nagging Your Kids About Weight Might Backfire
- Many U.S. Adults Think Kids' Health Is Worse Today
- Have Scientists Found 'Virginity Genes'?
- Toddlers' Sweet Tooth a Weight-Gain Danger, Study Confirms
- Obesity in Teens Seems to Raise Risk for Illness, Death in Middle Age
- Infant's BMI May Predict Early Childhood Obesity, Study Says
- Breakfast in School Classrooms Expands Participation, Not Waistlines
- Spring a Good Time to Instill Healthy Habits in Kids
- Kids' Fruit Drinks, Juices Contain Day's Worth of Sugar
- Varied Diets May Not Curb Childhood Obesity, Study Suggests
- Excess Weight Has 'Unexpected' Effect on Puberty Onset in Boys
- Schools Must Do More to Combat Obesity Among Hispanic Kids: Report
- Healthy-Eating Tots Still Like Junk Food
- Supermarkets Nearby May Help Kids Lose Some Weight: Study
- Excess Weight Linked to Blood Clot Risk in Kids
- 'Standing Desks' in Classrooms May Kickstart Kids' Activity
- Schools Offering Drinking Water May Have Slightly Slimmer Students
- Study Finds Poverty a Stronger Harbinger of Childhood Obesity Than Race
- Mexico's Soda Tax Linked to Reduced Consumption
- Bodily Changes Don't Always Signal 'Precocious' Puberty in Kids
- Most Teens' Physical Activity Occurs at School
- Weight, Exercise May Affect Children's Thinking Skills
- Breast Milk Makeup May Influence Child's Later Weight, Study Says
- Cutting Sugar From Diet Boosts Kids' Health Immediately: Study
- Kids More Likely to Be Overweight If Mom Gains Too Much in Pregnancy or After
- Severely Obese Kids at Higher Risk for Heart Disease, Diabetes
- Health Tip: Child Obesity Affects Bones, Muscles and Joints
- Health Tip: Preventing Childhood Obesity
- Want Your Kids to Exercise? Skip the Guilt
- Health Tip: Encourage Kids to Stay Active
- Proposed NYC Law May Trim 54 Calories From Kids' Fast Food Meals
- Healthier School Meals Offered Across U.S., Feds Finds
- American Kids Growing Fatter Than Their Canadian Cousins
- Many Parents Put 'Food Pressure' on Their Kids, Study Finds
- Healthy Breakfast Is Essential for Kids
- Clubs, Adult Support Can Help Kids Stay Slim
- Vitamin D Supplements Little Help for Obese Teens, Study Finds
- Exercise Boosts Obese Kids' Heart Health
- Active As Teen, Free of Diabetes In Later Life?
- Obese Kids a Universal Target for Bullies
- School's Out, Fattening Behaviors Are In
- Many Obese Teens Don't Think They're Fat, Study Shows
- Many Overweight or Obese Teens Don't See the Problem
- Parents Should Set Good Example to Keep Kids Slim, Pediatrics Group Says
- Smoking Around Toddlers May Raise Their Obesity Risk
- Health Tip: If Your Child Is Always Eating
- Health Tip: Keep Your Child at a Healthy Weight
- Health Tip: Discourage Too Much Screen Time
- Health Tip: Set Regular Eating Times for the Family
- Expectant Mothers' Lifestyle May Influence Child's Later Weight
- Many Parents Blind to Their Child's Weight
- When Restaurants Offer Healthy Kids' Fare, Children Eat It
- Start Healthy Eating Habits Early to Head Off Obesity in Kids
- Just 1 Hour of Daily TV Boosts Kids' Obesity Risk, Study Suggests
- Family Stress Linked to Teen Obesity in Study
- Health Tip: Should I Worry About My Child's Weight?
- Excess Weight Early in Life Linked to Colon Cancer Risk in Women
- U.S. Kids Getting Fewer Daily Calories From Fast Food
- Chef's Input Helps Make School Meals Healthier, Study Finds
- Kids' Bad Diets May Mean Worse Health as Adults
- Health Tip: Choose Healthier Fast Food for Kids
- Divorce May Mean Kids Down More Soft Drinks
- Erratic Sleep May Make Teens Hungrier
- Minorities More Likely to Gain Weight in Childhood, Report Shows
- Severely Obese Kids May Face Higher Heart Risks Than Thought
- A Little Fat, Sugar OK for Kids If Diet Is Healthy: Study
- Residential Treatment Program Helps Obese Kids Lose Weight, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Handling Your Child's Fears About Weight
- Menu Calorie Counts May Mean Less Fattening Meals for Kids
- Pizza Takes a Slice Out of Kids' Health, Study Finds
- Head Start Program Might Help Fight Childhood Obesity: Study
- Kids With Bedroom Smartphones Sleep Less: Study
- Overweight Teens Who Lose Weight for Health More Likely to Succeed: Study
- Defective Hormone Linked to Chronic Obesity in Baby
- Obese Kids' Brains Show Stronger Response to Sugar: Study
- For Young Kids, Too Little Sleep Linked to Later Obesity
- Childhood Obesity Brings Host of Health Problems, Researchers Report
- U.S. School Meal Rules Might Work Against Good Nutrition, Study Says
- Food Rules for Toddlers May Lead to Healthy Eating Habits
- Kids Obese at Young Age Often Stay That Way, Study Shows
- Type 1 Diabetes Increasing Among White American Kids
- Obese Children With Leukemia Fared Worse in Study
- Health Tip: When Your Child Needs to Lose Weight
- Tall, Heavy 1-Year-Olds May Be at Risk for Obesity Later, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Snacking After School
- Health Tip: Dish Up Healthier Halloween Goodies
- Health Tip: Watch Your Family's Portion Sizes
- Calm, Positive Family Meals May Help Keep Kids Slim
- Obese Kids May Show Early Signs of Heart Trouble
- Obese in Adolescence, Colon Cancer in Later Life?
- Health Tip: Keep Your Child's Weight Down
- Health Tip: Teach Your Child to Read Food Labels
- Read Food Labels to Combat Childhood Obesity
- Today's Parents Less Able to Spot Obesity in Their Kids: Study
- Kids' Lunch Boxes Often Fall Short on Nutrition
- The Diet Soda Debate
- Make Kids' Weight Loss a Family Affair, Study Suggests
- Kids Will Pass on 'Healthy' Foods
- Parents of Obese Kids Often View Them as Healthy
- Many Obese U.S. Kids Think They're Thinner Than They Are
- Waistlines of U.S. Kids Seem to Be Holding Steady, Study Finds
- Exercising Moms-to-Be Have Less Chubby Babies, Study Finds
- When School's Out, Weight Can Pile On
- Parents' Sleep May Affect Child's Risk of Obesity: Study
- Kids' Obesity Risk Rises With Parents' Divorce: Study
- Kids' Snacking Gets Less Nutritious as They Age
- More Evidence Ties Poor Sleep to Obesity in Kids
- Health Tip: Understanding Childhood Obesity
- Despite Childhood Obesity Epidemic, Few Kids Tested for Cholesterol
- Mom-to-Be's TV Habits Might Affect Her Child's Weight: Study
- Overweight Teens Feel Stigmatized, Bullied: Study
- Calling Young Girls 'Fat' May Increase Their Teen-Obesity Risk
- Kids' Genetic Risk for Obesity Rises With Age, Study Finds
- Mother's Pregnancy Weight Gain May Influence Child's Obesity Risk
- More U.S. Children Severely Obese, Study Says
- Childhood Obesity Adds Nearly $20K to Lifetime Medical Costs: Study
- Overweight Teens Don't Share in Life-Expectancy Gains: Study
- When Moms Get Active, Kids Follow
- Salt's Harm Evident in Heavy Teens, Study Finds
- Rigid Parenting Style Linked to Obese Kids
- TV, Computer Time Tied to Heavier, Less Happy Kids: Study
- ADHD Drugs Linked to Later Weight Gain in Kids
- Obese Girls Prone to Poorer Grades, Study Suggests
- Lack of Sleep Compounds Health Problems for Obese Teens: Study
- Kids With ADHD May Face Higher Obesity Risk as Teens
- Casinos Linked to Lower Obesity Rates for Native American Kids
- TV in Child's Bedroom Tied to Weight Gain
- Schools Add More Fruits, Veggies to the '3 Rs'
- Rising Fresh Produce Prices Tied to Higher Risk of Child Obesity
- Kids' Body Image Shaped by Parents, Expert Says
- Heavy Kids Exposed to Everyday Chemicals May Face More Heart Risks
- New Obesity Weapon: Kids Teaching Kids
- Don't Pressure Preschoolers to Overeat, Experts Say
- Study Spots Growing Disparity in U.S. Teen Obesity Problem
- Obese Kids Might Have Higher Levels of Stress Hormone
- Diabetes Drug Metformin Tied to Slight Weight Loss in Obese Kids
- Kids' Movies Deliver Mixed Messages on Eating, Obesity
- Weight Loss Surgery for Severely Obese Teens
- Parents Who Set, Stick to Rules May Help Kids Stay Slim
- Smaller Bowls May Keep Kids From Overeating
- Kids Worldwide Getting Less Heart Fit, Research Shows
- Health Tip: When Your Child Is Overweight
- New Study Paints Grim Health Picture for Obese Teens
- Schools Can Set Tone for Healthy Eating
- Family Meals May Keep Kids, Parents at Healthy Weight
- Weight-Loss Surgery Safe for Very Obese Teens, Study Says
- Childhood Obesity Again Tied to Earlier Puberty in Girls
- Kids Who Add Sleep Can Subtract Pounds, Study Suggests
- Obese Teens Eat Up Fast-Food Hype, Study Says
- Help Your Children Manage Media Use, Experts Urge
- Gene Mutation Tied to Higher Obesity Risk in Kids
- California Teens Drinking More Sugary Drinks: Report
- Cafeteria Debit Cards Linked to Less-Healthy School Lunches
- Overweight Teen Years Tied to Later Cancer Risk
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Childhood Obesity
- 5 Percent of U.S. Kids 'Severely Obese,' Experts Warn
- Changes in Household Routines Help Reduce Kids' Obesity: Study
- For Obese Kids, Weight Loss Can Sometimes Lead to Eating Disorders
- Fast-Food Ads Aimed at Kids Focus on Toys, Not Food
- 'Fat Letters' Take the Stage in Childhood Obesity Debate
- Plastics Chemicals May Boost Kids' Risk for Obesity, Diabetes
- Obesity Risk Factors May Vary for Boys, Girls
- Breast-Feeding Tied to Reduced Child Obesity
- Obese Kids More Likely to Have Asthma, With Worse Symptoms
- Childhood Obesity Rates Drop Slightly: CDC
- More U.S. Kids May Be at Risk for High Blood Pressure
- Focus on Health, Not Fat, in Food Talks With Kids
- Obesity Linked to Greater Risk of Hearing Loss in Teens
- Gene Research May Help Spot Baby's Obesity Risk
- Junk Food Ads May Help Drive Obesity in Hispanic Kids, Study Suggests
- TV Commercials May Spur Junk Food Habit in Kids, Study Finds
- More Evidence Links BPA to Childhood Obesity
- Soda Size Limits Could Aid Fight Against Obesity, Experts Say
- Junk Food Bans Help Schoolkids Avoid Unhealthy Snacks: Study
- Even Mild Weight Loss May Lower Diabetes Risk in Obese Teens
- Minorities Harmed Most By Fast-Food Outlets Near School: Study
- Infant Care May Help Explain Race-Linked Obesity Gap
- Young Parents Don't Stress Over Kids' Media Use: Survey
- How Many Calories in Your Fast-Food Meal? Guess Again
- Too Few Kids Use Fast-Food Calorie Info, Study Finds
- 'Clean Your Plate' Orders From Parents May Backfire for Kids
- Better School Lunches May Lead to Slimmer Students
- Kids Given Big Plates Help Themselves to More Food
- When Teens Focus on TV, Obesity Risk Rises
- Frequent Eating in Kids Tied to Less Weight Gain
- Overweight While Younger Ups Kidney Risk Later
- Kids of Better-Educated Parents Have Healthier Diets: Study
- Certain Parents Less Likely to Follow Doctors' Advice: Poll
- Four in 10 Babies Given Solid Foods Too Early, Study Finds
- Switch to Skim Milk Won't Prevent Toddler's Obesity: Study
- Breast-Feeding Won't Prevent Pre-Teen Obesity, Study Finds
- Sweet Drinks Tied to Higher Calorie Consumption in Kids
- Piling on Pounds When Younger May Lead to Enlarged Heart Later
- When Kids Exercise More, Their Grades Might Rise Too
- Soccer Kicks Up Activity Level of Overweight Kids: Study
- Poll: Many Americans Don't See Their Kids as Overweight
- A Few Extra Pounds May Harm Lung Function in Black, Hispanic Kids
- Youth Smoking, Obesity May Lead to Early Death
- Type 1 Diabetes Up 70 Percent in Kids, Study Finds
- Study Shows Weight-Loss Myths Abound
- Obese Kids May Face Immediate Health Woes, Study Finds
- Childhood Obesity Rates Drop in New York City, Los Angeles: Study
- Active Video Games May Boost Fitness in Younger Students
- Overweight Teens Report High Rates of Bullying, Teasing
- Low Vitamin D More Common in Overweight Kids
- Rates of Childhood Obesity Fall Slightly
- Veggies and Cheese as Filling as Chips For Kids, With Fewer Calories
- Healthy Snacks Help Kids Fight Obesity
- More Salt in Kids' Diets May Mean More Obesity
- Social Media May Help Fight Childhood Obesity
- Simple Formula Predicts Obesity Risk at Birth
- Study Supports Link Between Obesity, Cavities in Homeless Kids
- Kids in Daycare More Prone to Be Overweight
- Poor Neighborhoods Home to More Obese Kids: Study
- For Kids, Eating Out = More Calories
- Reducing Kids' TV Time: What Works?
- Obese Children Struggle With Joint Pain: Study
- Smoking During Pregnancy Tied to Extra Weight in Kids
- Adult Kidney Failure Tied to Excess Weight as Teen
- Top 10 Fitness Trends Picked for 2013
- Stress in Parents Linked to Obesity in Kids
- Exercise Programs for Kids Seem to Have Little Impact: Study
- Stress Linked to Greater Weight Gain in Black Girls, Study Finds
- Child Obesity Risks May Be Greater Than Thought
- Active Video Games Have Exercise-Like Effects in Kids: Study
- Diminished Taste Buds Noted in Obese Children
- Aerobic Exercise Cuts Kids' Diabetes Risk: Study
- BPA in Foods, Drinks Linked to Childhood Obesity
- Details: New Presidential Youth Fitness Program
- Overweight Teens Typically Eat Less Than Normal-Weight Peers
- Can Childhood Obesity Hinder the Brain?
- Obesity Might Lower Teens' Thinking Skills, Study Suggests
- Only Children More Likely to Be Overweight
- Couch-Potato Kids Are Top U.S. Child Health Problem: Poll
- Gallstones in Kids, Teens Linked to Obesity
- Minority Fifth Graders Face Health Obstacles, Study Finds
- More Self-Control as a Child, Lower BMI as Adult?
- Junk Food Laws in Schools May Mean Healthier Kids: Study
- Cholesterol Levels Getting Better for U.S. Kids: CDC
- Experts Offer Tips to Cut Kids' Screen Time During Summer
- Obese Kids May Be at Higher Risk for Heart Disease
- Sugary Drinks Not Replacing Milk as Kids Age: Study
- Preschool TV Habits Linked to 4th-Grade Waist Size, Fitness
- Playing Multiple Sports Helps Beat Teen Obesity
- Heavier Friends Might Widen Your Waistline: Study
- Obesity Alone May Not Hurt Kids' Classroom Performance
- Annual Report on U.S. Kids' Health a Mixed Bag
- Preterm Birth Rates and Infant Death Rates Drop
- U.S. Schools Throwing the Book at Unhealthy Drinks
- Job Worries for Parents May Mean Poorer Nutrition for Kids
- To Improve School Nutrition, Involve Teachers and Parents
- Plastics Chemical Linked to Obesity in Kids
- Health of Americans a Mixed Bag: CDC Report
- Does Weight-Loss Surgery Work for Teens? Yes, Study Says
- Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes Rising Among U.S. Kids and Teens
- Overweight Kids May Do Worse in Math: Study
- Diabetes Rising Rapidly Among U.S. Kids
- Docs Aren't Coaching Overweight Kids on How to Slim Down: Study
- Exercise Controls Weight in White Girls Better Than in Black Girls: Study
- Low-Fiber Diet May Raise Teens' Risk for Heart Disease, Diabetes
- Disney to Curtail Junk Food Ads Aimed at Kids
- American Heads Are Getting Bigger, Study Finds
- Too Much Screen Time May Harm Kids' Fitness
- Friends Influence How Active Kids Are
- C-Section May Hike Risk for Toddlers' Obesity, Study Suggests
- Some Heavy Kids at Risk of Blindness, Study Says
- Obese Teens Can Have Heart Damage Without Showing Signs
- Overweight, Obese Teens Show Early Heart Risks
- Americans Living Longer but Obesity Rising
- Sooner Is Better for Controlling Obese Kids' Weight: Study
- Gut Bugs Might Influence Child's Odds for Obesity
- Study: Kids Who Sleep in Parents' Bed Less Likely to Be Overweight
- In Mom's Eyes, Overweight Toddler May Not Be
- Lots of TV May Harm Kids' Diet
- Attitude May Be Key to Overweight Girls' Risk of Depression
- Today's Kids May Be Destined for Adult Heart Disease
- Low-Income Mothers May Overfeed Their Infants
- TV Ads May Play Role in Underage Drinking, Obesity
- Many First-Graders Shun Overweight, Obese Kids
- Survey: 1 in 3 Kids Hurt Playing Sports
- Could the Childhood Obesity 'Epidemic' Be Ebbing?
- Childhood Obesity May Raise Odds of Adult Liver Cancer
- Troubled Homes May Fuel Obesity in Girls
- Young Americans Need to Cut Calorie Intake: Study
- Make Weight Loss a Family Affair
- Genes Pinpointed for Common Childhood Obesity
- Heavier Baby Girls at Higher Risk for Diabetes, Heart Woes as Adults
- Parents Should Lead By Example in Weight Loss, Study Finds
- Health Highlights: March 5, 2012
- Health Highlights: March 2, 2012
- Heavy Kids May Not Respond as Well to Asthma Meds
- Obesity Linked to Asthma in Children
- Kids From Poorer Families Drink Too Much Juice: Poll
- Health Tip: Fruit Juices and Kids
- Health Highlights: Feb. 22, 2012
- Health Highlights: Feb. 21, 2012
- Study: Even Some Vigorous Activity Boosts Kids' Heart Health
- When Mom Has Pregnancy Diabetes, Breast-Feeding Curbs Child Obesity
- Kids Who Feel Left Out Are Less Active
- School Vending Machines Still Offer Too Many Sugary Snacks
- Kids' Snacks Can Be Healthy and Inexpensive
- Involving Family May Help Overweight Kids Change Habits
- Does Junk Food in Schools Matter?
- Why Don't Some People With Asthma Respond to Medication?
- Study: Preschools Forgo Free Play for Safety, Academics
- Obesity Linked to Poor Mother-Toddler Bond
- Adult Obesity May Be All in the Family
- America's Health Report Card: Needs Improvement
- Low Vitamin D May Raise Diabetes Risk in Kids
- Socioeconomic Status Main Predictor of Health Habits: Study
- Sweets Ban at School Parties May Cut Calorie Overload
- Obese Kids Who Lose Weight May Cut Heart Risk, Too
- Lack of Sleep, Overweight Linked to Kids' Learning Problems
- Study: Too Much Sugar in Drinks Marketed to Kids
- Doctors Not Stressing Follow-Up Plans With Obese Kids
- Americans Living Longer, Healthier Lives
- Overweight Kids Risk High Blood Pressure
- Parents, Kids, Doctors Balk at Talk About Weight
- Study: Obesity Prevention Should Focus on Day Care
- Walking School Bus Programs Take Off
- Childhood Obesity, Drug Abuse Top Concerns for Kids
- Kids Get Extra Calories From Food Outside Home
- Overweight Teens Often Miss Obesity Screening
- Obesity Rates Are Increasing in 16 States
- Drinking Water May Cut Risk of High Blood Sugar
- Survey: Diabetes Patients Don't Change Lifestyle
- Ways to Curb Childhood Obesity Outlined in U.S. Report
- Only 12% of High School Students Get Enough Exercise
- Excess TV Time Linked to Early Death
- Study: Psoriasis in Kids Linked to Obesity, Heart Risks
- CDC: Kids Lack Access to Healthy Food Choices
- Baby Fat May Predict Early Obesity
- Kids' Behavior Not Linked to Obese Moms-to-Be
- Kids' Diets Rarely Mimic Their Parents'
- Low Grades in U.S. for Eating Fruits and Veggies
- Obese Teens at Risk for Severe Adult Obesity
- Child's Waist Size Indicates Future Health Risks
- Two New Programs Aim to Prevent, Treat Childhood Obesity
- Lack of Sleep May Be Linked to Childhood Obesity
- Obesity Falling in Some Kids, but Not All
- Too Much Pregnancy Weight Gain Raises Child's Obesity Risk
- Too Much TV Puts Tots at Risk
- Obese Kids Have More Reflux Disease
- Childhood Obesity Boosts Risk of GERD
- Obesity Rate Swells in 28 States
- Michelle Obama's Plan to End Childhood Obesity Epidemic
- Health Tip: What's Behind Childhood Obesity
- Heart Warning Signs in Obese 3-Year-Olds
- Obese Children Twice as Likely to Die Young?
- Dads' Parenting Style Influences Childhood Obesity
- Childhood Obesity: Shorten the American Life Span?
- Aerobic Exercise
- Weight Loss
- Weight Lifting (Resistance Exercise)
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Tween: Child Development
- Young Children: Child Development
- Teen: Child Development
- Infants: Child Development
- Weight Management
- Growth Charts
- Toddlers: Child Development
- Toddler Food Guidelines
- Preschoolers: Child Development
- School Nutrition: Try to Reduce Childhood Obesity
- School Lunch: What Are Your Kids Having for Lunch?
- Dining with Leisure: Slow Food Movement
- Obesity: Preventing Childhood Obesity
- Parenting: Mother Knows Best
- Back-to-School Health Checklist
- Cavities... or Trick or Treat ?
- Obesity: Parenting & Obesity
- Parenting: 10 Ways to Raise Food-Smart Kids
- Youth Sports: The Stress
- Puberty and Girls: Blossoming Too Early?
- Obesity: Bedroom TVs Linked to Fatter Kids
- Weight Management: Supersized Kids, Diminishing Health
- Kid's Menus, What's to Eat?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter