Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S. every year. Symptoms and signs of child abuse include poor school performance, physical injuries, regression, anxiety, and panic. Treatment involves ensuring the safety of the child and tending to any physical injuries.Read more: Child Abuse Article
Related Disease Conditions
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Vulvodynia or vaginal pain, genital pain is a condition in which women have chronic vulvar pain with no known cause. There are...
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata,...
Rhabdomyolysis is a rapid deterioration and destruction of skeletal muscle. Some of the causes of rhabdomyolysis include:...
Domestic violence, or intimate partner abuse, is when one person in an intimate relationship uses any means to control the other...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Dissociative Identity Disorder
Dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder or split personality disorder) is a mental...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Head Injury (Brain Injury)
In the United States, head injuries are one of the most common causes of death and disability. Head injuries due to bleeding are...
A bruise, or contusion, is caused when blood vessels are damaged or broken as the result of a blow to the skin. The raised area...
Growth Plate Fractures and Injuries
Growth plate fractures and injuries occur in the area growing tissue near the end of the long bones of children and teens. Both...
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Cerebral palsy (CP) is an abnormality of motor function and postural tone acquired at an early age (even before birth). Cerebral...
Pubic Lice (Crabs)
Pubic lice (crabs) are parasitic insects found in the genital area, and are primarily spread through sexual contact. Symptoms of...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Teen Drug Abuse
Drugs commonly abused by teens include tobacco products, marijuana, cold medications, inhalants, depressants, stimulants,...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Concussion is a short-lived loss of brain function that is due to head trauma. There are two types of concussion, simple and...
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Borderline personality disorder is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal...
Learning disabilities can cause an individual to have trouble learning and using skills such as reading, listening, writing,...
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) has many symptoms, signs, and causes. Therapy is one treatment option for antisocial...
Munchausen syndrome is a factitious disorder and attention-seeking syndrome in which an individual pretends to have physical or...
Shaken Baby Syndrome (Abusive Head Trauma)
Shaken baby syndrome, or abusive head trauma, is the condition that describes the symptoms and signs that result from the violent...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Factitious Disorders by Proxy (Munchausen Syndrome)
Factitious disorders are a mental illness (Munchausen syndrome) in which a caregiver secretly abuses a child by faking symptoms...
Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their...
There are many forms of sexual assault, including rape, attempted rape, child molestation, sexual intercourse that you say no to,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Child Spending Low, Education Low, Child Abuse And Neglect High
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - Treatment
- Mental Health: Questions to Ask When Choosing a Provider and Doctor
- Why Is Shaken Baby Syndrome So Dangerous?
- What Is Reyes' Syndrome, and Can Similar Symptoms Indicate Child Abuse?
- Ask the Experts - Children's Health
Prevention & Wellness
- Don't Send Report Cards Home on This Day
- Countries That Ban Spanking See Less Teen Violence: Study
- Just Witnessing School Violence Can Leave Psychic Scars
- Many Foster Kids Inappropriately Prescribed Psych Drugs
- Teaching Your Kids Online Safety
- Animal Cruelty May Indicate Child Abuse
- Health Tip: Recognize Warning Signs of Youth Violence
- Pediatricians Say No to Spanking
- Tragedy of Child Sexual Abuse Takes Financial Toll, Too
- If You Suspect a Child Is Being Abused or Neglected, Report It
- In America's Poorest Communities, a Greater Risk of Child Abuse Deaths
- Sexual Abuse May Cause Early Puberty in Girls: Study
- The Impact of Child Abuse Can Last a Lifetime
- Child Abuse Cases in Army Families May Be Under-Reported
- Child Abuse May Shorten Some Women's Lives
- Fewer U.S. Kids Die From Abusive Head Trauma: CDC
- Emotional Abuse During Childhood Linked to Adult Migraine Risk
- Abuse, Poverty in Childhood Linked to Adult Health Problems
- Paid Family Leave Tied to Decline in Child Abuse
- Study Links Child Abuse, Neglect to Earlier Onset of Bipolar Disorder
- Child Abuse at Daycare, Youth Groups Rarer Than Thought: Survey
- Is Brain Wiring to Blame for Some Teens' Bad Behavior?
- First Year of Life Poses Highest Risk for Child Abuse: Study
- Military Deployment Tied to Greater Odds of Child Abuse, Neglect
- Shaken Baby Syndrome Program Didn't Reduce Injuries: Study
- Routine Screening for Child Abuse Might Spot More Cases: Study
- Childhood Trauma May Boost Heart Disease Risk for a Lifetime
- Childhood Abuse Linked to Ulcerative Colitis Later in Life
- Sexting, Internet Safety for Kids Big Concerns in Survey
- U.S. Violent Crime Rate Drops Significantly Since 1980s
- U.S. Hospitals May Often Miss Signs of Child Abuse
- U.S. Kids Suffer High Rates of Assault, Abuse, Study Finds
- Pediatrics Group Advises Doctors on How to Spot Child Abuse
- Bullying May Take Bigger Toll Than Child Abuse, Neglect
- Childhood Abuse, Neglect Linked to High Blood Pressure in Adulthood
- 1 in 3 Teen Boys Sexually Assaulted Tries Suicide, Study Finds
- Know the Signs of Child Abuse
- Abused Kids Not Destined to Be Abusive Parents, Study Finds
- Child Sex Trafficking Victims Easily Missed by Doctors, Social Workers: Study
- Abuse in Childhood Tied to Migraines in Adulthood
- Head Trauma in Abused Babies, Toddlers Can Have Lifelong Impact
- Childhood Sex Abuse May Be Linked to Heart Disease Risk in Women
- Researchers See Link Between Dyslexia, Abuse
- 1 of 8 U.S. Kids Mistreated Before Age 18, Study Finds
- Spanking May Be More Common Than Parents Admit
- U.S. Kids Experiencing Less Violence: Surveys
- Parents Deliberately Making Child Ill Can Be Deadly
- Childhood Abuse May Add to Drug Users' Suicide Risk
- Physical Punishment in Childhood Tied to Health Woes as Adults
- Too Little Known on How Primary Care Docs Can Prevent Child Abuse
- Childhood Abuse Tied to Food Addiction in Women: Study
- Abused Children at Risk for Obesity as Adults: Study
- Many U.S. Kids Victims of Violence, Abuse: Survey
- Poor Parenting Styles Linked to Bullying Behavior in Kids
- Teen Moms More Likely to Have Been Neglected, Abused
- Women Abused in Childhood at Higher Odds of Having Child With Autism: Study
- Childhood Abuse May Be Tied to Uterine Fibroids: Study
- Child Abuse in U.S. Declines for 5th Straight Year
- Violence in a Soldier's Past May Up PTSD Risk
- Abused Elderly Likely to Have Brain, Head and Neck Injuries
- Health Tip: Protect Your Child From Abduction
- Certain Eye Injuries in Kids May Indicate Child Abuse: Study
- Child Abuse Injuries Have Risen, Study Finds
- Childhood Trauma Linked to Later Stroke Risk
- Child Abuse Might Alter Onset of Menstruation in Girls
- Psychological Abuse of Children May Be Common
- Child Abuse Linked to Higher Odds for Cancer as Adult
- Childhood Abuse Linked to Diabetes, Heart Disease in Middle-Aged Women
- Child Abuse Rises When Economy Sags: Study
- Disabled Kids 4 Times More Likely to Suffer Violence: Study
- Spanking Linked to Long-Term Mental Health Issues
- Violence Takes a Toll on Children's Sleep
- Parental Abuse, Neglect Linked to Increased Skin Cancer Risk
- U.S. States With Most, Least Deaths From Injuries
- Sexual Abuse May Put Boys at Risk for Unsafe Sex
- Emotional Trauma May Hurt Toddlers' Later Learning
- Infants' Faces Trigger Caregiving Impulse in Adults' Brains
- Many Alcoholics Suffered Childhood Trauma: Study
- Keeping Young Athletes Safe From Sexual Abuse
- Kids With Gender Noncomformity at Increased Risk for Abuse
- Teens Victimized by Dating Violence Often Have Difficult Pasts
- Brain Development Harmed in Mistreated Kids
- Spanking Produces Troubled Kids, Study Contends
- Thousands of U.S. Kids Hospitalized for Abuse
- In Dollars Alone, Cost of U.S. Child Abuse High
- Severe Brain Injury When Young May Have Long-Term Effects
- Nearly 1 in 3 Young U.S. Adults Have Arrest Records: Study
- Health Highlights: Dec. 13, 2011
- Abuse May Alter Child's Brain Activity
- Recession Tied to Rise in Child Abuse Injuries
- School Shooting Study Yields Genetic Links to PTSD
- Childhood Obesity, Drug Abuse Top Concerns for Kids
- Internet Sex Offenders Reveal Some Patterns
- Many Adults Report Troubled Childhood Experiences
- Depression Rising, but Psychotherapy Declines
- CDC: Binge Drinking 'Huge U.S. Health Problem'
- U.S. Child Abuse Cases Falling, Despite Recession
- Giving Kids Booze, Medicines Can Be Child Abuse
- Risky Behavior, Drug Use Among Some Gay Men Linked to Childhood Abuse
- Seasonality of Child Abuse Could Be a Myth
- Child Abuse Head Injuries Rise as Economy Falls
- Kids Often Misled About Child Abuse
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter