Chickenpox (chicken pox) is a contagious childhood disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus. Symptoms have an incubation period of 14 to 16 days and include a couple days of mild fever, weakness, and red, raised rash that progresses to blisters that eventually burst and crust over. Complications include bacterial infection of the open sores, scarring, encephalitis, nerve palsies, and Reye's syndrome. Read more: Chickenpox (Varicella) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Shingles Rash Pictures, Symptoms, Vaccine Facts
Is shingles contagious? Shingles (herpes zoster virus) is a painful, contagious rash caused by the Varicella zoster virus. Learn...
Chickenpox Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
How is chickenpox related to shingles? Take the Chickenpox Quiz to assess your IQ of this itchy, blistering childhood skin...
Picture of Herpes Zoster
Also called shingles, zona, and zoster. The culprit is the varicella-zoster virus. Primary infection with this virus causes...
Picture of Corneal Ulcer
Most corneal ulcers are caused by infections and can be bacterial (common in people who wear contact lenses), viral herpes...
Picture of Varicella-Zoster Virus Infection (Face)
Multiple, very pruritic, erythematous papules, vesicles (“dewdrops on a rose petal”), and crusted papules on erythematous,...
Picture of Varicella (Chickenpox) Virus
A highly infectious viral disease, known familiarly as chickenpox. See a picture of the Varicella (Chicken Pox) Virus and learn...
Picture of Varicella Chicken Pox
Varicella Chickenpox is caused by a virus of the herpes group. The disease is highly contagious and is spread by droplet or...
Picture of Varicella-Zoster Virus Infection on Chest Wall
Typical grouped vesicles and pustules with erythema and edema of three contiguous thoracic dermatomes on the posterior chest...
Picture of Varicella-Zoster Virus Infection Close-Up
Grouped and confluent vesicles surrounding erythema on the chest wall. See a Varicella-Zoster Virus Infection: Close-Up and learn...
Childhood Diseases: Measles, Mumps, & More
Is your child at risk for these childhood diseases? Know what to look for and when to call the doctor for conditions such as...
Common Childhood Skin Disorders
What are the most common skin rashes in children? Learn about childhood eczema, ring worm, chicken pox and more. Get the facts on...
Newborn Skin-Care: Rashes, Umbilical Cord Care, Bathing & Baby Products
What does normal baby skin look like? These photos will guide you in proper baby skin care. Learn how to care for your baby's...
Related Disease Conditions
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Glands)
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Fever in Adults and Children
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Shingles, or herpes zoster, is a painful rash caused by the varicella zoster virus. Other shingles symptoms include headache,...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Is Shingles Contagious?
Shingles is an infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus. Shingles symptoms and signs include skin burning, numbness, and...
Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is a painful complication of shingles. Symptoms include severe pain, itchy skin, and possible...
Microcephaly is a genetic condition where the circumference of the head is smaller than normal due to underdeveloped brain....
Are Skin Rashes Contagious?
Direct and indirect contact can spread some types of rashes from person to person. Rash treatment depends upon a rash's...
Measles (rubeola) is a highly contagious disease that's caused by a virus. Symptoms include a rash, high fever, cough, runny...
Herpes Viral Infections of the Eye
Herpes of the eye occurs due to herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1). Symptoms of herpes of the eye include pain in and around the eye,...
Shingles and Pregnancy
Becoming infected with chickenpox during pregnancy could cause birth defects in your unborn child. Likewise, shingles could also...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Is Chickenpox Contagious?
Chickenpox is an infectious disease caused by the varicella zoster virus. Chickenpox symptoms and signs include a blistering,...
Reye's syndrome (RS or Reye syndrome) is a sudden, sometimes fatal, disease of the brain with degeneration of the liver. Reye...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Chickenpox FAQs
- Chickenpox Vaccine for My Child?
- Neonatal Sepsis (Sepsis Neonatorum)
- Children: Tips for Choosing a Pediatrician
- Home Remedies for Shingles
- Shingles Pain
- What Are the Facts on Chicken Pox?
- Should Adults Get a Chicken Pox Vaccine?
- Is Reye Syndrome Less Common than It Used to Be?
- Why Is It Called Reye's Syndrome?
- Can the Chicken Pox Vaccine Cause Shingles?
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- calamine and zinc oxide (Calamine Lotion)
- diphenhydramine, Benadryl
- Valtrex (valacyclovir)
- Over-the-Counter Products
- acyclovir, Zovirax
- varicella virus vaccine (chickenpox) - injection, Varivax
- famciclovir, Famvir
- Shingles Vaccine (Zoster Shingles Vaccine Live, Zostavax)
Prevention & Wellness
- Chickenpox Vaccine Shields Kids From Shingles, Too
- Kentucky Teen Who Refused Chickenpox Vaccination Now Has Chickenpox
- Vaccine-Exempt Students Behind N.C. Chickenpox Outbreak
- Health Tip: Know the Risks of Chicken Pox
- Hundreds of Human, Pet Homeopathy Products Recalled
- What to Do if Your Child Has Chickenpox
- Health Tip: Identifying Chicken Pox
- Health Tip: One of Three Adults Gets Shingles
- Just a Few Vaccine Refusers Could Endanger Many
- Is Shingles Tied to Heart, Stroke Risk?
- Shingles Vaccine Cuts Chronic Pain, Hospitalizations
- Tips for Avoiding Back-to-School Germs, Illnesses
- Experimental Shingles Vaccine Looks Quite Effective: Study
- Chickenpox Cases Down 85 Percent Since 2-Dose Vaccine Started: CDC
- Day Care Babies Catch Stomach Bugs Earlier, But Get Fewer Later
- Two-Dose Chickenpox Shot Gets the Job Done, Study Shows
- Health Tip: Chickenpox Can Be Dangerous
- Chickenpox, Shingles Vaccines Linked to Rare Eye Inflammation
- What You Need to Know When Your Child Gets a Rash
- Despite Pockets of Resistance, Most U.S. Kids Getting Vaccinated
- Health Tip: Coping With Chickenpox
- Vaccine Sharply Curbs Chickenpox Cases in U.S.
- Doctors Worry About Return of Vaccine-Preventable Ills in Kids
- Anti-Vaccine Parents Cluster in Rich, White Areas
- Viruses Increasingly Behind Child Pneumonia Cases
- Vaccine Opponents Often Cluster in Communities
- 'Kids' Diseases' Now Hitting Adults
- Virus Present at Birth Causes More Than 10 Percent of Hearing-Loss Cases in Kids
- Most Kindergartners Are Getting Their Shots: CDC
- Most U.S. Babies Get Their Vaccines: CDC
- Infections Like Colds, Chickenpox Tied to Some Stroke Risk in Kids
- Younger Adults Who've Had Shingles May Face Higher Stroke Risk
- Chickenpox Vaccine Not Responsible for Rise in Shingles, Study Says
- Why Many U.S. Preteens Aren't Getting the HPV Shot
- Children Benefit From Early Dose of Measles Vaccine, Study Finds
- Second Dose of Vaccine Cuts Chickenpox Cases Even More, Study Finds
- Scientists Say Pressure Allows Herpes Viruses to Infect Cells
- Atlanta Women Offers Hope for Those With Psoriasis
- Health Tip: Chickenpox May Lead to Complications
- Whooping Cough Cases Rise as Parents Opt Out of Vaccine
- Parents Who Veto Vaccinations Often Seek Like-Minded Opinions
- Teen's Death From Chickenpox Highlights Need for Vaccination, CDC Reports
- Few U.S. Seniors Take Advantage of Shingles Vaccine
- Chickenpox Shot Provides Long-Term Protection, Study Finds
- Untreated Depression May Cut Shingles Vaccine Effectiveness
- Too Few Adults Get Recommended Vaccines: CDC
- Varizig Approved to Treat Chickenpox Symptoms
- Health Tip: Some Shouldn't Get a Chickenpox Vaccine
- More Kids Opting Out of School-Required Vaccinations: Study
- Shingles Not Linked to Increased Cancer Risk, Study States
- Are Kindergarten Kids Getting Their Vaccines?
- Vaccinations Belong on Parents' Back-to-School Checklists
- Chickenpox Cases Fall 80% Over Decade: CDC
- Little Short-Term Risk of Repeat Bout of Shingles, Study Finds
- Shingles Vaccine Deemed Safe in Large Study
- No Rise in Seizure Risk With MMRV Booster Vaccine
- Health Highlights: Dec. 20, 2011
- Chickenpox Vaccination of Children Helps Protect Infants, Too
- U.S. Sets New Goals for a Healthier Nation
- Survey: Younger Doctors More Skeptical of Vaccines
- Health Tip: Getting the Shingles Vaccine
- CDC: Vaccination Rates for Toddlers Rising
- Report: Vaccines Generally Safe, Cause Few Health Problems
- Vaccination Rate for Kindergarten Kids Is Over 90%
- FDA: Shingles Vaccine OK at Age 50 and Up
- Seizure Risk Rises With MMRV Vaccine
- Health Tip: Managing Chickenpox Discomfort
- Shot Protects Against Chickenpox After Exposure
- Vaccine Refusal Raises Chickenpox Risk
- Health Tip: Calming Chickenpox