Patient Comments: Chest Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your chest pain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I woke up one morning and suddenly had pretty severe fatigue and tight squeezing in my chest. I went to the emergency room (ER) and test showed I had a heart attack. Angiogram showed arteries were perfect, low cholesterol, great blood pressure. They said it is a spasm of the artery in the heart. Don't know the cause. They put me on a drug to control it but I had a bad reaction to it and ended up back in the ER, now just have to carry the nitro with me until they find a drug that might work. I couldn't get a follow up appointment for 6 weeks. I am still having mild problems which I now realize I was having for about a year. I am very fit and never thought just fatigue was heart problem.

Comment from: GD, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I was blowing my nose while bathing, pressure was so intense that it caused sudden back pain, and I was immovable for minutes and then the pain was unbearable. I visited the doctor and took medicines, back pain is reduced but chest pain is still there. It is 15 days from that, and chest pain occurs while waking up from sleep.

Comment from: Christine M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My chest pain was caused by Takotsubo cardiomyopathy brought on by severe stress. Because I have a history of psychiatric problems, the pain was assumed to be a result of anxiety, and I was not assessed or given an ECG for three hours. Within minutes of having the ECG done, I was moved to Cardiac Care where I stayed for three days. I suffered a great deal of physical pain and discomfort and emotional trauma due to this lack of compassionate care.

Comment from: brennie12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I suffer from shortness of breath and chest pain when I walk up a hill or stairs. I went to the doctor, and he found I had an enlarged liver. The enlargement could have caused pressure and caused the chest pain, he said.

Comment from: brennie12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 07

When I go to sleep, after some time chest pain starts and I also have problem with breathing that time.

Comment from: ABS, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

My chest pain is caused through inflammation of chest due to pleurisy.

Comment from: Simon B, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have a serious chest pain. I developed it around June 2009 when i was doing a job of offloading and loading heavy materials from trucks. I did not do proper treatment at first because it was not severe, and i was also a smoker of cigarettes and marijuana and gomba (some type of leaves (drug) chewed with bubble gum). My situation worsened and i had to quit smoking, but up to now i still fill severe pain even when i just sit near someone smoking, carry something too heavy, or even run some distance etc. Please your help will be highly appreciated.

Comment from: Christine M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

Comment from: Cuthcavs79, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I wrestle, and the weird thing is that after practice I was fine. A few hours later, after doing work I guess with a bad posture, I started experience sharp chest pain and had a difficult time breathing and getting up and sitting down. I went to the doctor the next day, and they said it was costochondritis.

Comment from: reebok85, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 12

Well my husband who will be 40 this year fell over on a dirt bike which he has been riding since he was 5. Fell right over and landed on his elbow which naturally crushed into his left ribs. We figured broken ribs; no big deal. The pain was so unbearable he broke down and went to the doctor two days later. They said no broken or fractured ribs and sent him to the ER for ruptured spleen. Got CT scan and they said he was all fine just bruised. Well that was over a week ago and he feels just as bad as the first day. He said something was wrong. He has moving pain all the time, hard time breathing so he's back at the same ER for a second round. My only advice as a nurse to be: you know your body better than anyone else if you feel something's wrong trust that instinct. It could be the difference between life and death, and don't be afraid of a second opinion or third for that matter.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I already have a plate 2 rods and 8 screws in my L-4 and 5 where I fell off of our deck. Now I fell off my horse cart when the horse got scared, broke loose from the cart and took off. I in return fell off the right side, my right foot stuck in the spokes of the wheel and I twisted and hit the ground. My whole left arm and ribs hurt from breast to waist and it hurts to breathe deeply. I have had so many X-rays from my injury and kidney stones I am afraid to go to the doctor or hospital.

Comment from: Russ, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a heart attack, followed immediately with quintuple by-pass surgery. Due to complications identified as a stroke I required two and a half months of rehab. The wires holding my sternum together were in constant pain. A year after the surgery six of the wires were removed under general anesthesia. The keloid that has developed is painful to the touch. Additional pain radiates across both sides of my chest and is frequently accompanied by shortness of breath. My most recent EKG / stress test showed some irregularity. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms from surgery? My cardiologist simply says it is the result of the keloid and nothing can be done about it. My "Decision Coach" says it might be Angina.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I was in a head-on collision during a soccer game for our high school, and the opposition's shoulder ran into my ribs. It hurt like crazy, and I couldn't breathe. I thought I'd broken my ribs, but after a hospital visit the next day, I was told it was only a bruised chest wall. PS: on an unrelated note, I did NOT do the exercises prescribed (deep breathing, coughing, etc.) and developed pneumonia. I fully suggest listening to your doctor (I wish I had).

Comment from: Rod, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 01

My chest pain occurs in an area no larger than a marble and is located approximately three inches left of the center of my chest and at least 1 or 2 inches inward. It lasts sometimes only two or three minutes and other times as long as two or three days. I was discharged from the government in 1980 because of it. I have had angiograms, EKGs, echocardiograms, and stress tests both chemical and physical since that time and as recent as three or four months ago. I have been hospitalized with it on three occasions and the results are always that nothing is wrong. I don't want any more hospital false alarms, but I am concerned that a more serious problem with my heart may occur. At this date, the pain has been off an on for the last three days, but with a new twist: The pain travels a thin route from the source to the left underarm and downward on the inside of arm as though following a vein.

Comment from: John Keith, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Walking upstairs, the pain lasted 5 minutes.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had pain in the left side of my chest near the center. I went to the ER, turned out to be costochondritis, an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs. Thought I was having a heart attack, so glad it's not my heart.

Comment from: happy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I had surgery recently and now I have quite a bit of swelling. My doctor is worried about blood clots.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have a lot of chest tightness and pain due to asthma. I am short I breath and cough from asthma. My doctor told me today it is from asthma but on the other hand, I do not ignore the pains in my chest.

Comment from: bmrav71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I went to the emergency room with severe left chest and left back pain. I had many test preformed including a stress test. The stress test came out negative and my medical doctor seems as if he's not concerned.

Published: March 04

Thank you very much for giving such valuable information in the service of humanity. Mahesh Kumar Sharma, MD

Comment from: Babu, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

2 weeks before I was having a severe chest pain. I just Googled “chest pain” and it came to your site where it clearly mentioned about the symptoms which I had. Immediately, I went to hospital and was admitted in hospital emergency ward. It was myocardial infarction. I was under treatment for 2 weeks. Now, I am back at home and I am resting. Thanks a lot, it saved my life!

Comment from: Mary, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 30

The cause of my chest pain was a heart attack. I am a 77 years old, and when I was 75, I suffered two heart attacks. The pain was below my sternum, radiating to my back. Soon it was all over my chest. I never sweated or had jaw pain or arm pain. My son and grandson who live with me rushed me to the hospital. I was having a heart attack and the cardiologist did an angioplasty and opened the left main artery which was 80 percent blocked. I go for stress tests and am very thankful that my children insisted that I go to the hospital.

Comment from: duncs, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

So I have angina, but I usually have a bad day when the temperature changes rapidly. Now I have had chest pain for 2 days and all the symptoms of angina, for which the doctors have been treating me for 13 years.

Comment from: equitation, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had some "tearing and stabbing" in my left upper chest a few weeks ago after recovering from a cold/flu and couldn't breathe. I saw a doctor at a walk in clinic and she told me she thought I tore a muscle in my chest and to take it easy for a while. I work outdoors. Now, a few weeks later during rest in the evening it has come back very strong and I cannot breathe or exert much effort into anything without feeling severe pain. It is now over 2 days straight and it is not improving. I know I should go back to the doctor.

Comment from: E Cameron, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

My chest pain was caused, I'm certain, by excessive alcohol abuse. I had short stabbing pains for most of the following afternoon. Call it the hangover from hell if you like. I went to the hospital and received excellent care. It was decided after two blood tests, 4 EGCs, a chest x ray and 3 blood pressure tests that I did not suffer a heart attack. The pains were most likely nervous system induced but none the less frightening. Less than 48 hours later I have had no pain.

Comment from: pooja, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

Hi. I got TB on 22 Feb., 2009. I have completed my course for 6 months and still have problems like cough and chest pain.

Comment from: almostdied2beperfect, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

Constant strain from purging when I had bulimia, it was horrible, somedays. It just went through my whole body and I couldn't even get out of bed.

Comment from: Bobbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been experiencing pain in the upper chest and rapid heart beat. I have had this happen to me three times in the last week. I also feel like I am going to pass out. I also have been having pain in my right shoulder blade. I spent in the night in the hospital, and they had me on a heart monitor, along with running an EKG, echo, blood, and stress tests. They have not found anything. They said that I have scarring on my lungs and that I have an abnormal heart beat. I have been having night sweats and shortness of breath. They are putting an event monitor on me, but I feel as if I need to have a CT scan on my lungs and heart. I am usually very active, and I have no energy.

Comment from: LWells0402, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I have a severe chest pain when I first wake up. It decreases slightly as I move about. Also, I have shortness of breath and a lot of burping. My blood pressure is nearly perfect. My EKG was fine, and my doctor said everything sounded good. The pain stays with me all day but lessens later in the day and early evening. I took the seven-day methylprednisolone, and it did not seem to help.

Comment from: Earle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 19

From time to time, I have a fast heartbeat, at which time my chest hurts. That is the way I know my heart is beating fast. Today, it was 126, later 132, then 143 and about eight hours later, it was back to 73. I was not doing anything that would make my heart do that. I have worn a monitor for 24 hours and then 30 days. I have also had an echocardiogram. The doctors do not know what causes it, but it is scary.

Comment from: concerned, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I been having a pinching pain in my left side of my chest that only last a few seconds. Mostly when I change my posture. This has been going on for about a week along with heartburn an indigestion.

Comment from: Lena, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am a senior woman, but have low cholesterol and normal blood pressure. My blood tests show a high HDL Count. I take a Pepcid A/C at bedtime because sometimes I awake with heartburn. I am prescribed meds for low thyroid which is now at a normal range. Last night I awoke with a pain in my chest. A tight heavy pain. I lay still and in about 1 0r 2 minutes it went away. I lay on my side then and dozed but was awakened with a pain in my right arm. When I moved the pain went immediately away.

Comment from: Gerri, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

Had sharp chest pain that lasted for 30 min. ECG was normal. Had scope done. Found bleeding ulcers. 3% was anemic. If 4% would have needed a blood transfusion. Had no problems with my stomach. Was eating ice all day long. Very important clue. That was a sign of anemia. Look up PICA. I am taking Nexium and Iron pills. Dr. said it may take a year for my blood to be normal. I'm 73 years old. I have no heart problems in family and pretty healthy otherwise.

Comment from: Taryth, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

My chest pain occurs on an abnormal basis, at seemingly random times. I am a 20 year old male, 5 10 130 lbs. I consider myself to be reasonably fit; I bicycle regularly. The thing is, my heart, for no reason, sometimes will begin beating either erratically, or very forcefully (by erratically I mean I can put my hand on my chest and FEEL it beating out of order and very fast). This happens throughout the day, and seems to have gotten worse this past year specifically. I don't remember this really being a noticeable, daily thing from before 19ish. The pain associated this is almost as if someone is grabbing my heart/the area around it. The pain persists for long periods of time.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I recently had a heart attack. Only symptom was burning in both lungs like when you go jogging on a cold day. This only happened when I had modest elevated activity. It went away if I closed my mouth and added moisture to my mouth. I thought I had bronchitis. I had the symptoms for a month. I went to the doctors, they took a blood test and found a miniscule amount of the blood "marker" (0.08 troponin). Stress test and echocardiogram were negative. An experienced cardiologist said "pain during activity is cardio. " 1-1/2 hours later I had a stint in place of a 95% heart artery blockage. No heart damage, in fact I regained 30% more heart muscle than I have had in years. Back at work the next day.

Comment from: Bridget, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am a 32 year old black female who has been having severe mid-chest pains on a regular monthly basis for the last two to three years. I have seen internists, gynecologists and cardiologists, none of whom have been able to explain the cause of these pains. The time of month when the pains occur are approximately midway between my periods.

Comment from: need to know, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was recently hospitalized for severe chest pain with shortness of breath (like something was sitting on my chest then acute pain from left breast bone through shoulder blade), also heart cath was done. At first the doctor thought it was a blockage during the procedure gave the nurse to inject the medicine into IV. Nitro solution did dilate my artery. I haven't got any clear answers. I have had all studies done such as stress test, 2d echo, heart cath, egd, gallbladder studies and esophogram. Everything was fine. I am not depressed nor stress out. On my Echo report it did indicate mild Mitral regurgitation.

Comment from: diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

i had surgery in february for ductal carcinoma in situ (pre cancerous cells in milk ducts) followed by a course of radiotherapy. the past few days i have been getting a sharp pain in the chest area on the side of the breast which was operated on. the pain feels as though it is inside my chest rather than in the breast, do you have any idea what could be causing it.

Comment from: Bill, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I've been having a reoccurring chest pain on my left side by my heart for a long time now. I was checked by a specialist and even went to the ER, and they said I had digestive disorders. I'm not sure, but I think it's more serious than what they told me.

Comment from: ., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I feel pain in my left and right chest when I turn to the both sides. A scan has been done including X- ray, but nothing was found. I have taken drugs like Peflotab, Fleming, Vitamin tabs and muscular skeletal drugs, but the pain still persists.

Comment from: LPMT, 45-54 Female Published: January 22

My chest pain started when I began to have gum irritation. Both started this year when menopausal symptoms became severe. The chest pain comes and goes, is always on the left side 3-4 inches below shoulder and sometimes travels down upper left arm. I had preliminary tests by cardiologist which showed nothing. However MD wants to do more tests - just in case. Periodontist is at a loss. Says it could be estrogen fluctuations, etc. I am 49 - female.

Comment from: chunkyt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have sickle cell disease, and I've already had a stroke. Now, for the past two years, I have been having pain in my chest. It is located in the back right under my shoulder bone, and whenever I take a deep breath, it is met with a sharp stabbing pain, and I can't catch my breath. My heart rate is in the 100s when I am standing, and the oxygen level is in the 70s, but when I am sitting or lying on my right side, then it is at 100%. I have had the chest X-ray and blood test and they were abnormal. So the doctors did a CT scan, which didn't show anything.

Comment from: ChestP, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I have sleep apnea, and I went to the hospital with chest pains and palpitations. They did a sonogram and a treadmill test. They said nothing showed up. However, I still have chest pains during the day.

Comment from: Cupcake, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

Too hard of a massage in prone position. The massage therapist pressed too hard over the lateral posterior ribcage. I felt a sharp pinch and twist. It has been sore for 5 days.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

My chest pain is a burning sensation that goes into my back. It is always there. The doctors say it is anxiety. I have had a million EKG's and chest x-rays. They are fine.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter