Patient Comments: Chagas Disease - Diagnosis

Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of Chagas disease. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: foreveryoung917, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I donated blood to the Red Cross and was told I was positive for T Cruzi antibodies. I have never been to South America. I have never had any bites or problems associated with this insect. I don't have heart problems or any gastric problems. I don't get heartburn or acid reflux. I'm stymied by this Chagas disease. I am going to an infectious disease doctor for more blood tests. I'll write back with my results (it makes absolutely no sense to me how this happened).

Comment from: guinipig, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I received a notice from the American Red Cross, after donating blood, that I showed reactive result to T. Cruzi antibodies, but all other test results were either nonreactive or negative. I have not, to the best of knowledge, been to any of the regions stated in report to be exposed to the parasite nor have I ever had a transfusion. I am diabetic and do glucose home testing.

Comment from: Nikki, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I donated blood while overseas and was later informed that they identified traces of Chagas in my blood. I went to get it tested again and it came back negative. I will be going back to get a second confirmation as it is two years later and I'm having chest pains at 22. While it could be something else, it's a safety precaution. I drink plenty of water and my diet is so-so.

Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow