Patient Comments: Cervical Dysplasia - Experience

Please describe your experience with cervical dysplasia. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Echo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I got up in the dark to go to the bathroom. I knocked my shoulder on the first bathroom doorframe, lost my balance and stumbled forward, slamming my right little toe into the second doorframe. The pain was severe and I had to hang my foot over the bed to sleep. The next day it felt like a piece of broken glass was inside. It bruised up my foot and the toe was swollen and cherry red. I tried buddy taping for the broken toe, but that hurt worse and after a day I took it off. It's been two weeks and I'm just now walking with a mild limp instead of having to ride a cart at the food store. I'm still in very loose soft flip flops.

Comment from: Count Mahdrof, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I took a yoga class 35 years ago, and the only thing I took from it was the guaranteed ability to get rid of hiccups. If you sit still, and focus on relaxing your entire body, starting with the crown of the head and ending with the balls of the feet, while breathing as steadily and deeply as possible, your diaphragm will relax. My hiccups are usually gone before I reach the legs.

Comment from: Tinap, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had a loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) for cervical dysphasia in February of 2014. I had a checkup 3 months after (in May) of same year, because I was moving. I have an appointment for a biopsy in March 2016. But I have had spotting after sex. I wonder if it is possible to have cervical dysphasia again.

Comment from: Candice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had cervical dysplasia when I was in my early twenties, 21 or 22 I think. I had an abnormal Pap and then a colposcopy and had a 2 to 3 level dysplasia. I had cold laser or cryotherapy and had no problems. They took the top layer off of my cervix to remove the lesion and then some. I have had no abnormal Pap smears or issues since. I am 48.

Comment from: Donna2711, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I returned an abnormal Pap smear which resulted in a diagnosis of CIN3 cells (cervical dysplasia - one step away from cancer). I had laser surgery on my cervix to remove and a follow up Pap smear 6 months later gave good results. I have however had a headache for the 3 days leading up to my period every month since.

Comment from: christine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 59 and have been smoking 52 years. Thanks to one of my big sisters I found out in 2012 that I have emphysema. I have 3 inhalers but I don't think they help. I don't get much sleep, I am up sometimes at 2 in the morning coughing and by the time I clear my chest I am wide awake. I don't go out because when I start coughing I wet myself and people look at me and I feel stupid. I have tried everything to stop smoking but nothing works, and let's face it, the damage is done and I enjoy my cigarettes. I used to have 2 jobs, I worked all day and bar work at night but am not entitled to a penny. My husband works, he is not on a good wage but has to pay for everything, even my medicines.

Comment from: Cat1997, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am wondering if I do have pancreas issues. About six to eight times a year, I have severe pain that is below my sternum and extends straight through to my back. It is horrible. I will try and reposition myself or lie down and tap on my stomach to rid myself of it, but it does not go away for anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes. I started having it in my twenties, but it was only about once a year back then. I am now in my fifties.

Comment from: epididymitis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have epididymitis for years, and doctors advise me to take herbal medicine, it is said to promote blood circulation, and induce diuresis. So, I took diuretic and anti-inflammatory pill for 3 months. Now, the inflammation is eliminated, and the pain is relieved.

Comment from: SarahLee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

First, I'm 49 and will turn 50 in about 6 months. Just like most of you, I had an abnormal Pap smear last year. My doctor said it was a very low grade and no signs of HPV (human papilloma virus). He suggested a colposcopy which I put off for about year for being so scared of the procedure and the results. Well, I had the procedure done today, which wasn't as bad as I thought. During the procedure, he took about 3 samples. I asked him what he saw. He said the areas appeared pale, so not to worry. My bad, I should have asked more questions about 'pale' areas. Now it's a waiting game. I'm so scared about cervical dysplasia that I have not told my husband or anyone. I'm embarrassed and afraid he might look at me in a different way. Suffering in silence until my results.

Comment from: upsetsufferer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I just underwent a LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure) for severe dysplasia roughly two weeks ago. In the past, I have had a molar pregnancy and abnormal/irregular menstrual cycles. I go nearly sixty days without one most of the time. Sometimes longer. I've had my first and probably only child in the past year (she has just turned one) and prior to having her, I had no issues from the time of my molar pregnancy with the subsequent D&C until now. I'm desperate to know if there is a connection between my molar pregnancy a decade ago and my current issue with cervical dysplasia. I'm due to see my gynecologist this morning but my period seems to have started sometime during my post-LEEP spotting and so I don't know if she can do her job just yet to follow up. This entire situation has massively impacted my relationship with my husband. I don't even want to let him touch me now once we get the all clear for sexual activity again. I feel nervous kissing my child as well. This entire situation has made me feel disgusting and low and that is in no small part thanks to the doctor who handled my colposcopy and biopsy (not my usual gynecologist). I'm miserable and I don't know how to express this to friends without telling them too much. It's extremely isolating. I feel very alone.

Comment from: chacha003, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am 26 years old and have been getting abnormal Paps for the past 7 years. HPV (human papilloma virus) was detected and with routine Paps was manageable. I have had colposcopy biopsies, I would say 4 times. Cervical dysplasia was detected last year and my doctor performed the LEEP to get rid of any abnormal cells. I was told 95% of women who undergo the LEEP do not get dysplasia again… I did! Apparently that is a big red flag for any gynecologist because according to this final colposcopy if dysplasia is detected again I will have to have a hysterectomy. I am beyond scared. Luckily I have my 3 children and my supportive husband with me every step of the way. I would take this a lot harder if I planned on having more children but that was not my case, I had tubal ligation after my third child in October 2012. I wonder if cervical cancer is hereditary. My Aunts, 4 out of 6 had hysterectomies for early signs of cervical cancer as well.

Comment from: sonsheria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia twice now. The first time was about 10 or 11 years ago and they froze the cells and now I have tested positive for it again and they are going to cut the part that has the cells on my cervix off. I have noticed that I cramp even when I am not on my period and I was wondering if any of you that have had it cramped a lot too. I feel like it is a sign that something is wrong so I went to the gynecologist for a checkup and this is what they found again.

Comment from: girlie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

When I was 16 I was told by my doctor I had cervical dysplasia. They sent me for a biopsy right after because of the severity and I went in for laser surgery 2 weeks later. I"m now 27 years old and pregnant with my first child. No problems thus far but worried because I just read it can cause preterm labor.

Comment from: Julia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 27 years old, and I have been diagnosed with severe dysplasia. I had been told before, during and after my pregnancy that there were a few abnormal cells on my cervix but nothing for me to be worried about. I then went two years without having a PAP smear (not having a doctor, and having a small child can keep your mind off of these things). I am going in tomorrow to have the cells lasered off, and I am terrified. They did the biopsy and told me that there would be no pain involved! Boy were they ever wrong!!! I hurt like crazy for the rest of the day. My husband seems to be entertaining the idea that I've cheated on him (which I have NOT) because this was caused by this HPV. I'm worried, embarrassed, and unsure as to the future possibility of having another child. I've read some of the other comments on here, about hysterectomies, and I know my mother had to have one, albeit for different reasons, but still. Wish me luck, and for Pete's sake, get your PAP smears done, on schedule!!!! Save yourself some of the emotional upheaval that some of us have had to go through.

Comment from: ds77, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I am a 50-year-old female. I contracted a mild-to-moderate case of cervical dysplasia when I was 23 years old. I had laser surgery. I got married and had three children. When I turned 36, it came back severe with CIN2. I had a LEEP procedure. When I turned 43, I developed severe bleeding and was diagnosed with HPV with the deadliest cancer-causing strain. A uterine ablation was performed but ultimately failed. My gynecologist prescribed additional testing and found tumors and fibroids. My radical hysterectomy came at the age of 46. I strongly recommend being an advocate for your health and wellness. I lost a friend at the age of 31 to cervical cancer because she could not find a doctor that would take a radical move to cure her. After, she passed, her oncologist also died. Seek treatment and second opinions; it just might save your life. I know first-hand, and I am grateful that I did. I am doing quite well.

Comment from: 1976luckyme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Having had both my knees replaced by my 45th birthday, I had a premonition that one day the hips would be replaced as well. I was fortunate to benefit from Title IX while in high school, and playing 4 sports a year, volleyball, basketball, track and field, and cheerleading; and I am aware now that girls should be trained differently than boys, but that was not the case in the 70s. I place no blame, athletics served me well, 5 C-sections were a breeze. But this hip pain is scaring me and the locking and sizzling I feel in my top hip/thigh area is quite disconcerting!

Comment from: Hershey Girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

At age 38, married, I was diagnosed with HPV; a virgin when married with one sex partner ever. I had freezing done in office. Now, I am age 61 years. I am divorced. I had no sex for nine years and practiced safe sex before that. I had atypical cells, and had to have a LEEP procedure from the same area noted from flap of tissue growth there. It was never biopsied from first procedure over 30 years ago. Pap test every year is fine. This pap atypical cells indicating cervical dysplasia.

Comment from: CmLawrence, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I'm a 32 year old female who has always had normal Paps. Two months ago I had my usual Pap and I had atypical cells and inconclusive results of HPV. The next month I repeated the Pap and the Pap was negative with positive HPV. Three weeks later I had a biopsy done and a small, very small white patch was found during the exam. I'm still awaiting the results. I personally opted to be biopsied. I'm glad I did, it just may have saved my life!

Comment from: Jade, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I"m 24 years old. I went in for a routine Pap smear and honestly didn"t expect any abnormality to be detected as the last two came back normal. Cervical Dysplasia was detected and I had to have a colposcopy and a punch biopsy done a few days later. The biopsy felt like a pinch that lasted less than 5 seconds and I wouldn"t describe it as painful but more so a strange feeling. I had a little bit of spotting for two days afterwards.

Comment from: bgsu1983, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

In 1991 I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia, cryotherapy was performed and I had no abnormal Pap smears until 2010. During this time I was going through a difficult period within my marriage. I suspected my husband was seeing someone else, and passed the new HPV on to me. I now am scheduled for a loop, colposcopy, hysteroscopy and D & C, and I am scared and angry.

Published: June 04

In 2002 at the age of 30, I was diagnosed carcinoma-in-situ after dysplasia and a cone biopsy. I had a partial hysterectomy. Then in 2004, at 32, I had my ovaries removed due to very large cysts. Now, at 40, I just had an annual exam with my Oncologist and the results of my PAP were abnormal with mild/moderate dysplasia again. I'm scheduled to go back this Thursday for a biopsy. I don't know what the next steps will be.

Comment from: zoie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am 24 and was just diagnosed a couple weeks ago with having mild dysplasia cin1. Now is the waiting game I was told, It's not too severe to do a procedure but it's not, not there. Should I go in for a second opinion right now even though it's only mild dysplasia or should I wait. I'm not really sure as to what to do, this was my first abnormal pap and finding out I have a low grade of HPV. I have read endless info on everything to do with HPV and so forth I am just confused on what to do next.

Comment from: Grandma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I am so sorry, all of you are going through the pain and agony of abnormal Pap tests, dysplasia and cancer. I was 24 in 1975 when I received a post card in the mail saying I needed to call the office, They did a repeat PAP test that came back as Class 3 dysplasia, I then had a D&C. They decided to follow it for a few months. I felt very lucky because I was married with 2 children. I wanted more children but I didn't have a clue what as going to happen next. I did know my grandmother had died at 31 of uterine cancer, and I didn't want that to happen. After two years of biopsies and colpops, they did a full hysterectomy. My doctor said I was very lucky because it had spread outside the uterus but he thought they had gotten it all. My biopsy report said the margins of resection are clean - those were the best words I ever heard. That was very scary at 25 years of age. I went through menopause three times, at 25, at 38 and again at 55. I never had another problem after the hysterectomy. Two things I wanted to say, I was a virgin when I married and never had sex with anyone else. Neither did my husband. So HPV isn't the only cause of dysplasia and uterine cancer. Secondly, if you are young, I would have some eggs stored away so if need be you can have children by surrogate. I know it's not the way you want to do it, but you are better off prepared and then if you have to have a hystero - if won't be as horrific. Women today are lucky in that most men are more informed, my husband never understood why I was upset and after the hysto - he pretty much said, there is nothing to be upset about - if it fixed. Hang in there; always get a second or third opinion on both the diagnosis and on what to do for surgery. It is well worth the extra time and effort.

Comment from: momofthree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I am 38 years old. I gave birth to my third child 4 months ago. During my pregnancy precancerous cells were discovered. It was said to be mild and I was not treated, other than colopo for monitoring during the pregnancy. I have just returned for my after birth follow-up regarding these abnormal cells. Yesterday I had a biopsy of one of the spots that now looks "bad" according to my doctor. I will return in 2 weeks to discuss the results and see what the future holds regarding treatments, etc. I have three sons who need their mommy and I'm counting on this being treatable! Have any of you had a similar experience and if so, please share...good, bad, or ugly...I just want to be as informed as possible. Thanks.

Comment from: Hera, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Two and a half years ago, I had my first pap that came back testing positive for HPV. I had my first colposcopy 2 years ago performed by a doctor at the family practice I go to, which came back with no dysplasia. I have had repeat paps every six months. In December, I was referred to a "real" obgyn. I had my second colposcopy done in January on a Thursday and was told results will be mailed to me. She called me Tuesday and made an appointment for me to have abnormal cells removed. I am so scared right now. She didn't make it sound like it was anything serious but that it just needed to be taken care of. However, since Monday I have been spotting after sex, which has NEVER happened before. So many questions, yet everything I can find online says that it takes years to progress from precancerous to cancerous cells.

Comment from: twmmsforever, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I just turned 21 and last month when I had my yearly pap, it came back abnormal and positive for HPV. I've known I've had HPV for almost three years now but have never had an abnormal pap. My doctor performed the colposcopy and said I had mild-moderate dysplasia of the cervix. Since I am young, I have decided I am going to wait another four months and see if my own immune system can fight off the abnormal cells. If not gone or improved in four months, I will go ahead with the removal of the abnormal cells. My doctor said that since there is moderate dysplasia inside my cervix and not just on the outside, that freezing wouldn't be the most productive treatment. While it's always disheartening to hear negative news about your body, I am positive that my body will pull through and that I can cope with the consequences.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Hi everyone, I'm 40 and just had a pap done that came abnormal, so my obgyn preformed colposcopy( still waiting on results) and an Endometrial Biopsy(normal results). A month apart. But like the rest of you I am scared to death of what the rest of the test results will say. As some of you said the doctors lied when they said the procedures would not hurt, they are both very painful, I'm still hurting from the colposcopy I had done on Tuesday and its now Thursday. Although my husband of 22 years is very supportive while I (we) go through this process. May God be with us all as we go through this painful and uncertain journey in our lives.

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 48 years old and I was diagnosed with moderate cervical dysplasia. I had the leep procedure done and had some bleeding. Then after work one morning I started to bleed heavier and passed two quarter size clots. I went to the E.R and they stopped the bleeding. They let me go home and said to take it easy for a few days and if I started to bleed more than spotting to see my doctor. This has been a scary thing to experience. I had always had normal pap tests.

Comment from: Heartbroken, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

After having an abnormal pap smear last year, I began to wonder if HPV was a possible cause because one of my close friends had experienced the same abnormal pap and was then diagnosed with HPV. My follow up 6 month pap came back normal. Now this year's annual pap came back abnormal as well, but this time I am under the care of a new OBGYN due to the passing of my other. My new OBGYN tested my abnormal pap for HPV and found it to be positive. WHY was that not done last year, especially when the severity of the abnormality was the same?! Last week I underwent a colposcopy which returned results with a high grade dysplasia of the cervix. I have been crying all day since I have gotten the results. When I was younger I received all of the Gardasil shots but somehow have still contracted a harmful strain of HPV. Next week I will be having a laser ablation procedure and am SCARED to death. I really hope that my life is not going to be forever affected. My main point: understand WHY your doctor does what he does (or doesn't do in my case) and don't rely on shots or any other preventative method against HPV.

Comment from: Meghan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was recently told that I have more abnormal cell growth around the area of my vaginal opening that I had laser ablation on a year and a half ago. My cervix is normal and I have clean paps but I experience a lot of pain and tearing during sex where these abnormal cells are growing. I went through physical therapy after my surgery to break down the scar tissue that developed from biopsies and the ablation. (Yes, there is such a thing. I was skeptical in the beginning but it was amazing how it helped the pain.) Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation is what saved me from a life of painful sex. It's not 100% pain free but it is leaps and bounds from where I started. This disease has taken a lot from me. Money, time off of work, the ability to be intimate with the man I love, and ultimately my marriage. I just paid off my last medical bill from the surgery that took place a year and a half ago last month thinking that the experience was behind me only to go in for a checkup and be referred to another oncologist for the same thing. I am worried that my current boyfriend won't stick around while I go through this painful, expensive and disheartening experience all over again. I'm not scared of cancer, surgery, pain, or embarrassment, just that I will once again lose someone I love because of this awful disease.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: December 05

My sexual partner (at the time) did not disclose that he had the HPV, although he knew. He said his GP told him not to worry, that everyone gets it. Thanks to him, I now have to do the rounds of colposcopy, biopsy etc etc, after having normal smears for the last 35 years (I'm now 53). I am so angry that because of his negligence in not advising me, I now have to endure the expense, stress and frustration of ongoing procedures. Men need to understand that for them, it's not potentially life threatening but for us women it is. They should have to pay all medical bills when they are aware that they carry the virus and do not disclose this to their partners.

Comment from: nurse112, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

Hi everyone I am sharing my experience with you. I am 29 years old and have been with my husband for 15 years. We have 2 girls together. I just recently found out I have moderate to severe dysplasia of the cervix after having normal yearly pap tests. I had my LEEP done on Friday which wasn't bad. I am also a registered nurse, who worked with cancer patients at a radiotherapy clinic. On Monday, I returned home and received an urgent message from my Dr. that I am to call him the following day. I cannot stop crying as I am anticipating the worst. I know that God is going to help me through this. God bless you all.

Comment from: amid, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am 30 years old. I was diagnosed with CIN-3 cervical dysplasia about a year ago. This was after yearly PAPs, all normal. My Pap smear came back abnormal (HGSIL) and so I had a colposcopy and endocervical curretage. All of the biopsies came back showing CIN-3, severe dysplasia. I then underwent a cold knife conization, which came back with clear margins. I've had two PAP smears since, both normal! My next PAP smear is in a few months. I have to have PAP smears and HPV testing every six months for 2 years, as long as they all come back normal. It has been a very scary and stressful time, but had I not had my PAP smear regularly, the dysplasia could have progressed to invasive cervical cancer by now. So PLEASE, get your PAP smears every year, and I highly recommend getting tested for the high-risk strains of HPV as sometimes there are false negatives with PAP smears and this will help detect any abnormalities.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with high risk HPV about 4 years ago. After 2 1/2 years of repeat paps, colposcopies/biopsy and my CIN 1 turning into CIN 3/Carcinoma in situ I underwent a cold knife cone biopsy 8 months ago with clear margins. For the first time in 4 years I had a completely normal pap 3 months after the cone biopsy. Just last week I had my second follow pap and it came back abnormal w/CIN 1 again. This can lead to very frustrating feelings. I am now going to undergo yet another colposcopy/biopsy to see what the next step will be. All of this due to a tiny little virus called HPV. I think it is very important to have all of our young girls vaccinated with the new vaccine for high risk types of the HPV!

Comment from: k78, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have been dealing with severe cervical dysplasia for about 3 years now. I'm 30 years old. I have had many colposcopies and one LEEP and a cervical canonization (forgive my spelling). I have dealt with HPV since I was 16. They gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way. I had gone back to the doctors when I started to bleed everyday except for one or two days here and there. They put me on the Depo Provera shot and again, sent me on my way. I didn't hear anymore about it until 3 years ago. I was working and ended up hemorrhaging. I went to the ER and they put me on an IV and did ultrasounds and blood work then, sent me on my way with my doctor's number. I have a very nasty strain of HPV. I cannot have the full hysterectomy that I thought would get rid of it because this strain will attack the vagina if it doesn't have anything else to attack. I have had very many colposcopies, a LEEP, and a cervical canonization. My last appointment came back abnormal (surprise, surprise) but, while I was there, they did an ultrasound and apparently my left ovary decided to move next to my bladder. I have no idea why. My whole point of telling people about this is so that maybe, just maybe, someone could be helped with this. I got this strain of HPV by a very unfaithful boyfriend. Use condoms each and everytime you have sex, or don't have sex. That's the only way to prevent going through this hell. You can't tell that anyone is a carrier of this disease by just looking at them, get tested, use condoms, don't have sex until you are married and make sure the person you are marrying has done the same.

Comment from: liss305, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had cervical dysplasia for 4 to 5 years. I am in the doctor"s office every 6 months for monitoring. It has been pretty stable, thank goodness.

Comment from: SoConfused, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Hello, I am 28 years old and at the beginning of this year I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia and was a stage 2. I just went back for my check up today and had to have another biopsy because my doctor found some tissues. I am very scared. I am very confused because when I asked her if this was caused from a sexually transmitted disease she said no, that I didn't have any. I then read on a site that everyone associates cervical dysplasia with HPV. Also, it says it can be caused by sexual activity before 18 and I was sexually assaulted from three until I was eight. I am just wondering if anyone has any insight on this, and if it is caused from HPV? I am very confused and upset. I feel disgusting and I need answers.

Comment from: aaronsm0m, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I found out I had moderate cervical dysplasia when I was pregnant with my first child. So after I had my son I had a colposcopy and the doctor said it looked better and that I probably wouldn't need any treatment. Then I got a call from my gynecologist's office and her nurse said my biopsys came back as severe Dysplasia. So I scheduled my LEEP procedure.

Comment from: LeLe89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am 23 years old and six months ago during my annual pap smear I tested positive for HPV and mild dysplasia. I was devastated and I didn't understand what it all meant. I was extra discouraged because when at 18 I was vaccinated for some of the HPV strains. I have just visited my OBGYN again for my six month follow up to make sure everything was going fine but my results came back abnormal. Although still mild I am worried about the future in dealing with this. I'm very hopeful that my immune system will battle the abnormal cell since there is really no treatment for my mild dysplasia but to wait it out. My Mom, two aunts, and grandmother have all had hysterectomies so I'm terrified that I will in the future. HPV is so unfortunate and very scary but I'm very thankful that it's mild.

Comment from: lilbit, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I have been through the Pap smear/biopsy rounds for about two years. I just found out I've upgraded to moderate dysplasia. Just hearing that other people are experiencing the same frustrating cycle and have had these procedures makes me feel slightly better. I'm still scared and worried.

Comment from: kenai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

My cervical dysplasia was discovered when I had a total hysterectomy. All pap smears were normal.

Comment from: jalee6, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I was recently diagnosed with CIN2 and went through a genuine depression over the issue. I had just started a new relationship and was ashamed of my diagnosis. I started not to act like my normal self in the relationship and thus it fell apart and my boyfriend broke up with me. We were only together two months prior to the diagnosis and had issues. I recently told him about my diagnosis because I felt so much guilt hiding the HPV diagnosis, the colposcopy, biopsies, and prep for surgery from him. I just needed to get the guilt off my head and heart.

Comment from: ASA1414, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am 23 years old and I delivered my first child 11 months ago. After an abnormal pap smear, I was ordered to have a colposcopy. The procedure wasn't painful but, no one in my family has ever had it done. I didn't know what to expect. Now I must wait for the results. I'm scared to death. I'm unmarried and would like more kids. Hopefully, I can have the life I dreamed of after this is over.

Comment from: 27confused, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am 27 and found out 3 weeks ago that I had high risk dysplasia. I had the peep procedure and just heard back this week that my margins are positive and I still have high risk cells on my fervid. My doc said he will see me in 6 months for another lap. I'm worried that something should be done now and not wait 6 months.

Comment from: bethm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am 45 with normal paps all my life. I just underwent a hysterectomy and much to my doctor's surprise, CIN3 which had to be sent to a special lab to ensure there was no cancer. Get the paps, but know they are not everything and take care with your body. Even my doctor had to say, this goes to show the failures of modern medicine.

Comment from: lizzylou0124, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I was diagnosed at 23 with HPV, I am now 24. I have no idea how long I've had this since I had a very unfaithful "boyfriend." It isn't severe and I assume it isn't something I can blow off because it hasn't gone away yet. I had Guardasil shots but I'm also assuming those haven't worked, that I have a different strand. I have PAP smears every 6 months, I've had one colpo and my next one is in January. The more I read about this, the more I worry about what will happen. Will I get cancer? Do I need to seek another doctor's opinion? Do I need to call my own OBGYN and ask more questions, and if so what questions? My biggest fear is being unable to have children. I just want to make sure my doctor's are giving me all my options before more damage is done.

Comment from: moosey22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

Hello, I'm a 22 year old female and I was just diagnosed with severe cervical dysplasia. I have had both a colonoscopy and a Leep done. I am terrified that this is going to hurt my chances of having kids. Just recently I have been having terrible pain after and during intercourse in my cervix. It's gotten so bad that I can't even have sex with my boyfriend and I'm scared that he may end up finding sex from somewhere else! I am also scared that I may not be able to even try to have kids due to the extreme pain it causes!! This has been a terrible experience! I advise everyone to get there paps done yearly and get an HPV shot! I have had the shots and have had a pap done every year religiously since I was 18. So please get checked this sometimes isn't seen right away!! If I went any longer without treatment I would have cancer instead of just dysplasia!! Good luck to all; please get informed.

Published: November 15

I am 28 I recently was diagnosed with high grade cervical cancer. I have delivered 5 children all vaginally, children between the ages of 11 and 11 months. I had an abnormal pap after the birth of my first child I was told it was PID. My partner and I were both given antibiotics, at the time we were not married and did not live together. I took my medicine but I am unsure if he took his. All my other children were delivered via military care. How could this have not been detected at a milder degree? I have been pregnant every 2 years for the past 6 years, so my son is almost 1. The last pap smear was at the beginning of my last pregnancy. Now I am scared to death I have the beginning stages of cervical cancer and will have to undergo a hysterectomy. We also wanted more children, at this point I am unsure if that is safe for my situation. I am going into the doctor next week to undergo more testing.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I was diagnosed with HPV in 2000. I was 18 years old. I had the cryotherapy procedure done and was told that there was a 90% chance that this would not return. Well, ten years later (after having my son in 2005) it has returned. My doctor called me yesterday to inform me that they would need to scrape the outer layer of the cervix to remove the moderate displaysia, however it is going to cost me around $500.00 even WITH insurance. My plea goes out to all women and girls to have the Gardasil vaccination ASAP! Tell your mothers, daughters, friends, neighbors, or even co-workers to get the vaccination and have regular pap smears to prevent being in this very scary situation.

Comment from: Grimmy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

In 2001, at 39 years old, my first PAP smear in 10 years came back abnormal. A colonoscopy and then a cone biopsy diagnosed carcinoma-in-situ. I had PAP smears every 3 months for a year or so, then every 6 months, then back to once a year. I had very heavy periods after that, and began going through perimenopause. I began having extended periods of bleeding, and in 2008 a uterine biopsy showed endometrial hyperplasia that resolved itself. My periods stopped in August of 2009, then my doctor started me on hormones in January of this year. Now I have been bleeding for two solid months, can feel that my uterus is enlarged, and am about to go back to the doctor. I wonder if this is all somehow related and HOW it's related. I asked two different doctors about my cancer, asked them if they had tested me for HPV, and they said they had and that it was negative.

Comment from: desperate women, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I just knew that I have severe dysplasia (CIN 3). I was so worried. Just had colonoscopy the other day and still waiting for biopsy results. As I recall my previous OBGYN told me not to worry about dysplasia since it can be cured by antibiotics, then she provided me fertility drugs since I'm having hard time getting pregnant but after few months I'm having discomfort that leads to excruciating pain after sex and found out that I was having cervical polyps. I felt so devastated so I seek for another OBGYN this time a specialist for infertility, she explained to me and helped me understand about "Severe Dysplasia," now, I'm so worried because I'm longing to have a baby but I'm having dysplasia.

Comment from: nsg86, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

In 2005 I had an abnormal pap smear, I had the biopsy done and my doctor did the LEEP procedure. Whet every 3 months for pap smears for a year everything was fine. Went back to once a year. For 5 years I have had normal pap smears. This March I had an abnormal pap smear again. Just had another biopsy today. My doctor says I might have to have laser ablation but she won't know for sure till she gets my results of my biopsy next week and sees what stage these pre cancer cells are. I am getting married in 5 months, and I want to start a family. I am scared out of my mind. 5 years ago when this all started my doctor didn't think these cells would come back and now they have.

Comment from: dapinkprincess, 19-24 Female Published: April 06

I'm 23 years old, and on April 2, 2010 (Friday). I went to the doctor for my results to my biopsy and I just found out that I have CIN 2 also known as (cervical dysplasia) and the doctor said that they have to freeze (kill) my cells and I'm pretty scared about that. I'm waiting to see if my insurance covers it, so I can do it fast. I'm really scared because when I got the biopsy they said it doesn't hurt but it did. I was in pain for more than a day. I did some research and it says that it can also come back after it's taken care of. I'm really scared, people.

Comment from: kychick, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am nineteen years old and today 02-17-10 found out that I had a mild case of Dysplasia. My doc told me that everything would be okay and to not worry about it, but this problem runs in my family. My mother had severe dysplasia three times before having a complete hysterectomy. My cousin who is only a few years older than me has had it 4 times. My doctor wanted me to come back in a year to make sure everything was back to normal. Well I wasn't going to take that route so I called another gynecologist and made an appointment for next week and will hopefully get some good news.

Comment from: AH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was first diagnosed with CIN III in 1997 and underwent cryosurgery. Pap smears following were all normal until six years later: in 2003 I again had an abnormal PAP and then a biopsy showing CIN III. This time I underwent a LEEP; pathology showed a clean removal with no abnormalities in surrounding tissue. At that time testing showed me positive for HPV 16 and 18, two of the types likely to cause cancer. Just recently my PAP came back as abnormal with possibly some viral DNA. Colposcopy and biopsy again returned with CIN III. This time both my physician and I are leaning towards a hysterectomy; her research shows that the dysplasia returns 20% of the time after a cone with clear vaginal margins, and that recurrence is 3 times more likely after the age of 50 since I fit into both of those categories.categories ...

Comment from: debdtexas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

In 1984, I was 29 years old and the only symptom I was having was dryness during intercourse. I had my yearly pap tests which always were normal. When I told my gynecologist about the dryness all I got was a smart comment about foreplay. The smear came back stage III severe dysplasia. Cryocautery was performed and 4 months later another smear returned abnormal. Then Conization was done as out-patient surgery, the biopsy showed that the cells had spread into the opening of the uterus. I was scheduled for hysterectomy a few months later. Since I was only 29, recently divorced. I was given the choice to either have a hysterectomy or get pregnant and possibly have to have an abortion if the cells progressed rapidly before the child was born. I had a 7 year old son at the time so I decided to have the surgery. Everything has been fine since then and there has been no recurrence during the past 25 years.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am 37 years old. I have been recently diagnosed with severe dysplasia, CIN3, and cervical precancers. I underwent cryotherapy that 2 months later was discovered did not work. I am now facing a complete hysterectomy. I strongly advise all women regardless of age to get their yearly exams. I went yearly for mine up until 2 years ago this year they find the precancers.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter