Patient Comments: Cervical Cancer - Risk Factors

Did you have any of the risk factors for cervical cancer at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: g, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I am 26 have 2 children 5 years and 2 years old. When pregnant with my 1st child I had a very bad bleed during sex and was told by my doctor to have a smear test after I had the baby. Everything was ok, I never bled again so I never got the smear test done. In the last few months I have started bleeding during sex and sometimes between periods. For 3 weeks I've had a very bad pain in my lower back that pain killers will not take away. I went for a smear test yesterday and bled a lot. My dad has head and neck cancer, at the moment I am really scared, everything online says cancer.

Comment from: jmon42709, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I tested positive 3 years ago for the HPV virus. I have had only one abnormal pap smear in the past. I have had 2 husbands in 37 years. Which means that I have had 2 sex partners during that time. I am scared. I am also a survivor of bladder cancer with 4 surgeries for that cancer. I have been free for 3 and 1/2 years. I do not know which husband was the carrier. I am not mad at him for the symptoms are silent in men. I made the mistake of not having a new pap smear in 3 years. I lost my job and insurance so I could not afford it. I am scared. I want to learn more and pass the information to others who do not understand. That is the key/education. We must educate all ages. As I talk to people, at least 75% do not know what it is. That is scary. My grand daughter is going to be vaccinated. She just turned 15 years old. This is real!

Comment from: Savannah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had always been very careful about having regular, annual GYN check-ups. So it was in December that my doctor told me I had an irregular pap test result which indicated precancerous cells (stage II) were present. I knew from previous pelvic exams that I had apparently been born with a 'cervical lesion'. This had a tendency to cause infrequent, mild infections requiring antibiotics 2-3x's over a 10 year span. However, when I returned for a second pap test in February the cervical cancer had advanced to stage IV cancer. They initially did two cryogenic fezzes if the area which did not stop the cell growth. I also required a more radical procedure, punch biopsy to remove all cancerous cells surrounding the opening of my cervix. Thankfully, this treatment has produced normal pap tests ever since. On another note, I did not have any medical coverage at that time and the hospital provided full coverage under their "uncompensated medical services” policy. I believe all hospitals have some funds set aside for just such cases, but one must simply inquire (insist!) and fill-out appropriate forms. I urge all women to get regular pap tests. It could save your life.

Comment from: Timaima Dau, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I was detected of cervical cancer on January this year after attending my pap smear, which I usually did at the end of every year beginning from 1994.The doctor said that it was the 1st stage but when my biopsy result came, it was in stage three. I just need to take some antibiotics and to be reviewed in the next three months. I didn't know that I had cancer because I did not experience all the signs and symptoms that the doctor said should be happening to me. So, sometimes when you get the signs, you might be in the later stages. Come on women: Attend your pap test regularly, and don't take the risk.

Comment from: k;'s grandma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had regular pap tests. I was bleeding very heavy and had bad cramps. My bleeding would last for 18 to 20 days and stop for a couple days, then start all over again. I wasn't diagnosed with cervical cancer until a doctor could see the tumor, which was golf-ball size. Women have got to know that just because the pap test comes back normal does not mean everything is fine. Any big change in bleeding, and you have got to have a biopsy done.

Comment from: nikki, Female (Patient) Published: August 14

The only sign I had was bleeding after sex. I let this go on for 6 months before I finally went in to see my doctor. I am glad I did. I ended up having my uterus and cervix removed at age 26. I do wish they would have offered other treatments besides the hysterectomy, but they didn't. I am alive so please don't wait to get tested!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was 25 years old at the time I had severe vaginal bleeding for 8 months back and hip pain before final diagnosis of severe discarriaosis which ended up being stage 3 grade 2 cervical cancer. A year after months of chemotherapy and radiotherapy I have been told I am in remission for now.

Comment from: whaddyano, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I went for my usual six-month checkup and was told that I likely had an increase in my white cell count. I was told to go to a specialist to have it further tested. I went to the specialist and had a biopsy. She told me it would require “treatments.” It turns out that I had a fast growing cancer. Four months later, I had a radical hysterectomy, and thankfully, no cancer was found in my surrounding lymph nodes, which meant the chance for a cure was great. There was no cancer before … ever. I went to my appointments every six months. I have no family history of cervical cancer (only breast cancer); I've never had any STDs; I haven't had multiple sex partners; and I don't HPV. Perhaps, when people are aware that one has cervical cancer, they won't look at it as being a "dirty woman" disease like my family did. What a disgrace! Cervical cancer happens because it happens, the risk factors increase chances.

Comment from: Mel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in May. It took 11 months for the doctors to figure this out. I went to the doctor in June because of very heavy vaginal discharge. I bled on occasion during intercourse. At 1st they thought I had polyps, then they thought I had an infection and gave me antibiotics and was told to come back in three months. After three months they gave me an appointment for a colposcopy. In mid May I had my appointment for the colposcopy, but by then the tumor had grown so quickly that my only option for treatment was a radical hysterectomy and a pelvic lymphoidectomy. I had that June 4. They say they got all the cancer, but I still have to go for chemo and radiation as a preventative measure to reduce the chances of the cancer reoccurring.

Published: July 31

I was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer. I do not know the: stage/grade as yet. My symptoms included: heavy bleeding (changing pads every hour), bleeding while not menstruating, back pain that radiates from hip to hip, severe cramping, diarrhea, discharge, and fatigue. From the amount of physical/sexual abuse I suffered as a child, I hadn't had a pap smear in 9 years. I had begun periods at 10 years of age, which had always been irregular. I have felt unwell for a long time, but when I started to bleed in this way, I knew I had to seek out help. I am 41 years old, never given birth to child, have NOT used birth control pills, and am scheduled for a CT scan of my abdomen/pelvis tomorrow.

Comment from: Clara , 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

I went for a routine pap smear after my second son was born and was shocked to be diagnosed with pre cancerous cells. I was 30 years old and was not sexually active as a teenager, did not have multiple partners, and there was no other cancer in my family. I was shocked for about a month. I was given counseling and was told to complete my family and have myself retested and to remove my cervix. (I have to add that I am a nurse and knew what cervical cancer looked like when it's at its worst.) I separated from my partner and moved to another city. Once there, I had to get my life on track again and make peace with me having cancer. I was working with this good obstetrician and learned to trust and respect him. I decided to have another pap smear two years after the initial one and was diagnosed with no precancerous cells at all. It was as if I was living a dream. I asked this doctor if the cancer might have gone into remission, and he said no, it was never there to begin with.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

My daughter was diagnosed with small cell carcinoma of the cervix. Her symptoms were pain during sex and a slight discharge. After two weeks, she went to the doctor. A pap was done, and they found a tumor the size of a softball. She was hospitalized right away and chemo was started. She came through great, and then they did radiation. That has been two years ago. A positive attitude and a supportive family is very important. I also would like to add that she received no help from the American Cancer Society or any other organization. I made 22 calls, and if she would have had breast cancer she could have received all kinds of help!

Comment from: sam, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am 34 and have three children. Last year, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, stage II. I used to smoke, and my smear test was six months late. After a visit to my general practitioner, he told me to take some tablets to stop my slightly unusual bleeding. Eventually, I lost two liters of blood and was rushed to the hospital where they discovered the cancer.

Published: July 02

I have cervical cancer and have had a LEEP. I now have an incompetent cervix. A couple years later when I became pregnant I was on bed rest for 6 months and had to have stitches put in my cervix to hold it shut so I would not loss the baby. Just make sure if you have this procedure done you talk things over with them right away if you become pregnant. I now have a beautiful healthy daughter.

Comment from: barann42, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I knew something was wrong but didn't have any Idea that it was Cervical Cancer, I was spotting and had real bad leg pains, my back started hurting, and when I would have sex it was painful. I went to the Doctor and had a paps and that's when I found out. Now I have to go in for more tests and treatment. They said it was in its early stages.

Comment from: Debra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and severe dysplasia years ago. I was lucky that they caught it in the 1st stages. For years my paps had come back normal. It was my nurse practitioner who was concerned with my cervix bleeding at the slightest touch. Whenever I had a pap who insisted on making sure I got a LEEP. I had a radical hysterectomy and was lucky it had not spread to my lymph nodes. I was also able to keep my ovaries. For all the years my paps came back normal, my Gynecologist had said my cervix bled easily, but did not press for further tests. I'm lucky I had already had my son. I was 33 at the time. I hope this helps. Push for tests at any abnormality.

Comment from: desiann, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I am scared. I am 20 years old and have an 18 month old son. I am recently divorced. My ex husband cheated very regularly, but I didn't find out about it for some time. Now I am with a great guy and have been with him for a year. I went to the health dept to get on birth control because I am about to go back to college. They did a pap and they found precancerous cells. They said I may have cervical cancer and need to be farther tested. I have no insurance my ex doesn't even help me with the baby. I don't even know what to do next.

Comment from: Tammy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

June 1st I was told I have cervical cancer. I had very heavy bleeding the end of May. I did not have a regular pap test. I received chemo, internal, and external radiation (which by the way was no joke). It has been a hard climb, but I did make it over the mountain with good news!

Comment from: carry, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been bleeding in between periods for nearly 2 years now and my doctor just put it down to a miss carriage now its getting worse I was watching a program on TV and there was a women on it who had the same symptoms as me and she was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I have now been to another doctor who has transferred me to a specialist.

Comment from: mommy zycheen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I'm 29, married and with one son, who just turned 2 years. Prior to my son's 2nd birthday, I had my DNC/ fractional curettage. My OB had my tissue/cell under biopsy. It was found out that I have cervical cancer. I have no symptoms, no discharge, and no bleeding or even pains. My only fear for this moment in time is about financial worries. I'm very positive about my remission. I believe in God, I believe in technology.

Comment from: ShyFighterHinata, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Well I find when I exercise that I sometimes bleed from my vagina, I also have been known to bleed when I am under a lot of stress. My doctor has booked me in for a pap smear to find out what could be wrong. So if you guys would have any idea what it might be, I would be really happy to hear what you might think it could be.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter