Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Trisha , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

Itchy red skin on the tops of my feet was my initial symptom of cellulitis.

Comment from: Alan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

My cellulitis symptoms normally start in one of my elbows, slowly spreading up and down my arm. I seem to get it about once a year. Both times I was in hospital on a drip, then two weeks on antibiotics. It is very painful in the joint and takes about a month to fully get full movement back.

Comment from: Woody, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

My feet between my toes had open sores and the bottom of my toes had huge open sores. They said I have cellulitis. It causes severe pain, I can't walk on my feet, and they want to hospitalize me. When I leave the hospital I wonder what kind of pain medicines they will give me.

Comment from: Hatchie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I was cold and shivering 24 hours before any redness appeared on my lower leg. Then from my ankle to just below the knee it became a very deep red, almost purple, and shiny in appearance. I had a headache for the following few days even while in hospital on the intravenous antibiotics. I spent 14 days in hospital with cellulitis infection.

Comment from: okie, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

The cellulitis infection felt like a pimple in my ear at first, and then after a few days I could feel it got larger and very painful.

Comment from: Ha3lo , 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 19

I wonder if anyone has had issues with a cut on a leg swollen from cellulitis that won't stop bleeding. The blood was literally spurting out and wouldn't stop until about 10 or 15 minutes of firm pressure.

Comment from: Lllkkkfff, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

My cellulitis started off as a tender spot on my lower abdomen. The next day a lump came up that was very painful. It got bigger so I got antibiotics for it.

Comment from: MsRena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I got a red patch from cellulitis above the ankle on the outside of my left leg. I noticed pain that felt like a bruise when I crossed my leg at the ankle. It is slightly warm to the touch. My foot is swollen and feels like it is pinching where the foot meets the leg on top.

Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

My cellulitis was due to my cat scratching my leg. The lower leg was completely inflamed, I had swollen ankle and the skin later blistered. I was given a general antibiotic until the culture could determine the exact bacteria and then was given an oral form of the antibiotic, which has worked well. However, the swelling has not completely gone. I wonder how long this takes! I hope I will be resistant to the feline bacteria as I am sure to be scratched again!

Comment from: TJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have cellulitis on the face under the eye area and near my nose. It started like a red rash and then got swollen very quickly.

Comment from: Grandma of four, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had cellulitis 17 times over the past three years. At least five times I got sepsis. Mine comes along my rib cage and abdominal area. It starts with a small pea size lump and grows bigger rapidly. Sometimes it becomes an abscess and sometimes not. I always have to be hospitalized and on IV antibiotic. Tonight I feel two painful lumps getting bigger by the hour. I have a slight fever and vomiting. Doctors are trying to find the underlying cause.

Comment from: Rita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

My right foot was extremely swollen with cellulitis and I had a large red place or rash on the top of my foot, initially. Now the foot and ankles are swollen and my leg itches something awful. If I scratch it, I immediately get a red rash.

Comment from: Velma , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

With cellulitis I had fever and a hot red place on me that looked like it was filled with pus. My skin was very red and started peeling and really hurt.

Comment from: Robin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

My cellulitis symptoms are swelling, tightness in ankles, redness, legs warm to the touch, soreness, rash, itching and burning.

Comment from: Melisssa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have had cellulitis on my lower leg twice this month. I am on antibiotics and I have severe bruising at the site. Then I noticed today that my right eye was swollen. I think I need to go to the hospital.

Comment from: Warren, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

There was this bite with a red patch that caused some pain on my left calf. I thought it is just normal. The next day it was still there and I can't seem to know why. The second day, it was kind of giving pain and there was an obvious swelling around the area. Muscles were tighter and painful. Third day, it stayed the same but I am getting bothered by the length of time of healing. The next day, I woke up barely walking and the tightening of the leg was so severe that I could no longer walk. That's when I headed to my doctor to have it checked. Turns out, I have cellulitis.

Comment from: Silverpenny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

My symptom of cellulitis was swollen feet which I've had despite tests and treatment. Then I woke up one day to red warm patches on my ankles and calves.

Comment from: Cinderella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I got a blister on my ankle. It kept growing, then leaking clear fluid, then hurting badly and swelling like nobody's business. Now the cellulitis hurts a lot! I ice it all the time. Oh, and I can't walk!

Comment from: Cellulitissucks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

After 3 weeks post operation of a double mastectomy I had chills and a high fever all through the night. I went to the emergency room the next morning where I was diagnosed with breast cellulitis. It was extremely painful. Thankfully it was not in my bloodstream. I was hospitalized for 4 nights. I was only given the option to put in a PICC line where I received continuous IV medicines for a month; piperacillin and daptomycin. After almost 3 weeks off of the antibiotics I relapsed. I am still trying to find the right drug that will kill off this infection. After reading other comments I realize I too had severe itching throughout my chest which now I can link to this disease.

Comment from: Sheila, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

My cellulitis symptoms started while I was at work. I had extreme shaking, so much so I couldn't put my hand on my PC mouse. I looked at the guy next to me and said 'I have got to go'. I live 6 miles from work and don't remember how I got home. I got home and went to bed; this was a Tuesday afternoon. I stayed there shaking and in some of the worst pain I had ever known. Thursday my better half took me to the doctor who put me on antibiotics and sent me home. No mention of cellulitis. Thursday night I couldn't stand. I had to have my husband pull me up and every step was like walking on broken marbles. I stayed in bed. My girls showed up on Saturday; both live out of town. They said I wasn't making sense on the PC and I couldn't spell. They took a picture of my left leg and foot and sent it to my doctor. My doctor saw it and said, 'get her to the hospital'. My girls and grandsons took me to the hospital and I spent a week in ICU before being diagnosed. This was October of 2017. It is now June 2018 and I have some of the most awful pain I have ever known. It keeps me from doing anything and everything. I take Vicodin daily and it barely gets me through. I can't shop, I can't clean house, and I work an office job because I have to. This could disable me if they can't stop the pain and make it go away. I never would have thought this would or could get this bad. I have had 20 plus surgeries over the years and nothing has ever hurt like this.

Comment from: Ginger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a pretty hard fall and my shin was skinned and bruised. About 2 weeks after the fall, I began noticing itching, redness, flesh colored bumps, and the areas were hot. Because I no longer had a doctor who contracted with my insurance provider, I self-treated with tea tree oil (2 parts) and sweet oil (1 part) as a carrier oil. It works, albeit more slowly than oral antibiotics. I used it at least twice a day and massaged it into my leg. The swelling looks to be completely gone after 7 weeks and one small patch of itchy bumps remain, but they're fading fast. Tea tree oil is antiseptic and antifungal, and has healing properties. I have since had my new doctor look at my leg, and she said it looks good and to continue to do what I've been doing with tea tree oil because it is working.

Comment from: Moyer21, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I have a spot of cellulitis on ankle, and it is rough, reddish and purple in color.

Comment from: Jim yancyyancy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 30

My cellulitis started with rash around socks, and now going up the leg. It does not itch, but burns at times.

Comment from: Bonnie3765, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I had cellulitis in my ankle caused by a wasp sting. It was horrible, started with a red rash then a few small blisters that developed into a huge blister. My foot and ankle swelled up so much, my ankle and leg were all itchy, hot and felt really tight. I went to accident and emergency where they tracked the redness by marking around it with a pen. It kept getting worse and I ended up being kept in hospital on a drip for IV antibiotics for a good few days until they knew the infection had gone. To this day I have a scar on my ankle where the blister was. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone. I am always scared that if I get a slight cut or get stung again it will flare back up.

Comment from: tancy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

My symptom of cellulitis was swelling at first. Then my legs began to turn a brownish color on lower front, legs got very red, warm to the touch, almost like a burning effect and blisters appeared. Left leg became larger than right.

Comment from: Bj*J, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 15

First symptoms of cellulitis, my left leg was hurting starting, and turning red and swollen. It wasn't hot or itchy at all. I went to the doctor and they prescribed me some antibiotics, Keflex, and also diagnosed me with cellulitis. Since then my right leg is now in so much pain from my hip to my toes, it's worse than the initial pain in the right leg. I stopped taking antibiotics because that's when the left started to hurt. But it's still hurting, and I am going back to the emergency room. I don't know what's wrong with me, the right leg has since cleared up, no redness or swelling.

Comment from: Carla Jo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

My initial symptoms of cellulitis began when my feet and ankles started swelling and became very painful. Then I saw a red spot on my leg which started spreading rapidly. My arms also began hurting. By the 3rd day I was in so much pain I went to the emergency room and was hospitalized for 3 days. I have since had cellulitis 4 times. The only treatment that works is taking antibiotics. Always wear shoes and gloves when gardening. Keep your hands clean at all times.

Comment from: Isolde, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

My elbow was in pain. It was swollen and inflamed from cellulitis. I had a terrible headache and I felt dizzy.

Comment from: Yvonne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had pain in my calf one night, it felt tight I couldn't see anything. The next night I noticed my ankles were swollen and there was redness around my right ankle. I went to urgent care the next day and was found to have cellulitis.

Comment from: Painful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

When I can't walk due to arthritis and sit for long periods of time my right foot will swell, usually only right foot. It gets a bright red rash from cellulitis. I have diabetes and have diabetic nerve pain so when my foot swells it is double pain in my big toe and top of foot.

Comment from: GeeGee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I have had cellulitis now for 7 weeks. I was in the hospital for 1 week with antibiotics and home with another 2 weeks on them. My leg still swells up a little and is very itchy. Propping it up helps. I also have blisters now.

Comment from: Peach, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

My symptoms of cellulitis are swelling, itching, and tightening of the skin.

Comment from: Royboy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

Treat the cellulitis affected area with rubbing alcohol and antibiotic gel. My lower left leg swells, especially in heat. Two or three times my leg swelled, became splotchy red and it looked like there was a rash. Each time I showered, I washed the area, dabbed the spots with rubbing alcohol and spread antibiotic gel over the red areas. By the next day most of the red had faded to a grayish color and mostly disappeared by the end of the day. I also bought some antibiotic lotion and used it.

Comment from: Leemore, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 18

My initial symptoms of cellulitis were intense itching and redness.

Comment from: Sarah, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

My legs and ankles got very hot and itchy, with small blisters under the skin. I went to doctor, and he gave me medication. I have to go back if it does not clear up.

Comment from: mick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

Hot aching joints 24 hours later left my leg badly swollen and very sore. It is now 2 weeks since initial symptoms of cellulitis, I am on antibiotics and still have severe pain and very sore skin around my lower leg and ankle. I am looking for any ideas as to what to do next, whether I rest or try to walk.

Comment from: Mr Chris, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

One morning I woke up early because my left leg felt sore. So I got out of bed and noticed a sore on my left thigh (the size of a 0.50 cent piece) oozing clear pus. I promptly went to the emergency room (ER) and the doctor gave me antibiotics and Benadryl for cellulitis. I went home and started taking the medicines and the sore on my left thigh healed over but red rashes broke out all over my upper body and forearms! I went back to the ER and they gave me a tube of anti-itch cream (which I finished off very quickly) and a different antibiotic. The red rashes and sores didn't go away until I finished the antibiotic (and then the doctors told me I'm allergic to most antibiotics so there's nothing more they could do). So I crossed my fingers and have been just taking vitamins and slowly but surely the rashes and sores have been disappearing.

Comment from: dissertationstressed, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I am 21 year old. I was bitten by a flying insect on the inside of my arm near my elbow. What started as a typical irritating bite treated with cream soon swelled up and within 2 days all my arm was red, swollen and painful. I've been using antihistamines and bite cream but have been to the general physician today who says I have cellulitis. I've been given antibiotics and hydrocortisone cream to use, both for 7 days. I'm under strict instructions to go to Accident and Emergency if it gets even slightly bigger as I pleaded for bed rest rather than hospital immediately as my dissertation is due next week. I'm hoping it clears up quickly as it is painful, weirdly it also itches intensely every few hours and also is very unsightly - my whole arm is twice the size of my other!

Comment from: ValH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

After a car accident in which I had an open fracture I started noticing a raised bump and redness near the scar. It turned into an abscess and hurt like all out. My leg was swollen twice its normal size, warm all over, and I couldn't walk. After three visits to one hospital emergency room in which I was told I just had arthritis, I was finally diagnosed with cellulitis but not treated properly. I went to a different hospital. I was told if I didn't have the hardware removed the infection would just be holding on to it and I had developed osteomyelitis from it. I had to have the rods removed, debridement of bone and insertion of antibacterial beads along with aggressive IV antibiotics. I was cured but it is a recurring form so now I have it again.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

My knee was swollen; no red blotches, no infection, nor injury. After taking x-rays to ensure there was no blood clot cellulitis was the diagnosis the doctor gave.

Comment from: Billie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My symptoms of cellulitis were red skin blotches and pain in my leg.

Comment from: Shafted in Vegas, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

After 2 visits to Urgent Care and 1 visit to the emergency room (9 days total) and 3 incorrect diagnoses, finally an orthopedic doctor determined I had inflammatory cellulitis. The providers in the other 3 places were treating it as a high ankle sprain and contusion even after I told them I had suffered no event or high impact incident that would normally be the cause of a high ankle sprain. In the meantime, the pain and redness increased exponentially every day, reaching a 10 many times through the day (by the way, I have been on crutches for 9 days also). With all the new opioid laws, the only pain medicines I have been given have been ibuprofen and Advil, both of which were completely useless. I initially went to Urgent Care and the ER because of the high pain levels and being immobile. Also, it takes the referral process with my insurance to see a specialist and that was the quickest I could get in. After reading spreading to lymph nodes, sepsis, and maybe even meningitis are possible outcomes of untreated cellulitis, I now have that to worry about. Redness on lower leg is size of a baseball and now there is swelling moving up my leg to my thigh. Any input and encouragement that 9 days is not too long to have untreated cellulitis would be appreciated. Otherwise, I may be in need of the services of a good malpractice attorney!

Comment from: G-Ma , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

My cellulitis symptoms started with chills so I covered up with a blanket. The chills quickly got worse and worse, within two hours I went from being at home with chills to shivering chills with a fever of 102 degrees. The front of my left calf went from feeling and looking fine to a bright red 'rash', for lack of a better word, and we were on our way to the emergency room. At the ER they took one look at my leg and the questions started; if I have been out of the country recently, if I could have been bitten by a spider, if I was sure it's only been two hours since this started affecting me! They said it could be flesh eating disease, sepsis or a few other things. None sounded very good to us. Then the infectious disease doctor came in and looked at it and examined the skin on my feet, my heels, in between my toes and my legs and ankles. He was the first one to tell me it was cellulitis.

Comment from: Laila, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 17

My leg had a red rash from cellulitis, well, not a rash but it was a line on my leg.

Comment from: Mihoshi05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Pain started in my leg on a Thursday evening, and by that night the swelling had started in my left lower leg. Friday morning it was red in spots and I had a slight fever. I began to feel nauseous throughout the day, and the pain continued to get worse. About midnight I finally went to the emergency room (ER) and was admitted because I kept spiking a fever and throwing up. I ended up being admitted for almost a week for treatment of cellulitis, and by the time I was discharged blisters had formed all over my lower leg. My foot had swollen by this time as well. When I was discharged I was given Keflex 500 mg to take every 6 hours for fourteen days. That was 3 months ago. I'm still having pain every now and then and swelling.

Comment from: guilla, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 13

Pain, redness and swelling below my right knee were my cellulitis symptoms. Also it was hot to touch. I started treatment with cefadroxil 500 mg. Then due to bad weather and lack of doctors I started treatment on my own with amoxcillin 500.

Comment from: bevforgot, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had port removed, and it got infected with dry blood lump which the surgeon cut out. Next morning I felt drunk, wobbly, vomiting, feverish, red and swollen, and untouchable. I went to the emergency room, got admitted for 4 days, was on myacin, and released with Augmentin. The lump is still infected, and the doctor is cutting it out again on Monday. My white blood cells and platelets are very low due to the cellulitis.

Comment from: Scott, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I pulled a muscle in my leg on Sunday. Tuesday morning it started to hurt and bother me. Wednesday night it was hot to the touch, a little swollen, and sore to the touch but still didn't seem a big problem. It seemed to feel better at times and worse at other times. By Saturday morning I had a lot of pain while walking on it. The entire calf was swollen with a big area red and hot to the touch. I went to urgent care, and was sent to the emergency room and then to hospital to treat the cellulitis.

Comment from: kert, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

My forehead and my right eye were swollen, and both my right and left cheeks were red. I had a fever of 101.8 with the cellulitis. I also have Bell's palsy. I was in the hospital 3 days and my stools were black. I am on clindamycin HCL 150.

Comment from: cabo79, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I was playing with a dog, young, got lots of dog slobber on my hands and the skin was broke in a couple of places. On the second night I woke up with my hands itching. By morning it had spread almost to my elbows. My hands had blisters on them, and I thought it was an allergic reaction to new sheets I had on the bed. It got worse through the day even though I was taking Benadryl. I could not find a doctor that day. I had some Augmentin around and as I could not see a doctor until the following Tuesday, I started taking the Augmentin (600 mg every 8 hours). It did the trick. The doctor would not write me a prescription for more Augmentin, he too thought it was an allergic reaction, so I started taking more Benadryl and using a cortisone cream. The infection came back fast and I woke up with bad looking and itchy hands and red and brown spots up my arm, and also splotches on my stomach. I went back on Augmentin, it came back under control. I ran out of Augmentin and started using Levaquin (750 once a day and taking Benadryl also). I will see the doctor again tomorrow. I hope I can get a prescription for Augmentin. The Levaquin does not seem to being as good a job, but is ok. I also got a different type of cellulitis on my left leg starting at the ankle (ant bites got infected I guess), real bad chills and sweats. Someone said I looked like I had ringworm on my leg. I had a friend over who was a doctor, and she told me what it was and I needed to see a doctor. I think this is what he gave me, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole. It took care of it.

Comment from: pbaczuk, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 17

With cellulitis I had pain in the foot followed by swelling, and the foot was red and purple. I could not even touch it let alone put weight on it. I had chills and fever.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

My symptom of cellulitis was redness all the way down my leg.

Comment from: BrandiShae, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My husband was diagnosed with cellulitis last night. He is very fair skinned and prone to infection. No wound at all on site of cellulitis except there is a scar there from a different episode of infection from 20 years ago. It began as a slight pain on Monday. By Thursday (yesterday) it became almost unbearable to walk. We went to Urgent Care/Emergency Room (ER) Clinic and the doctor said it was a bruise and to go home. My husband disagreed and told her he felt like it was not just a bruise. We ended up being sent to the main hospital ER for an MRI and sure enough they saw cellulitis. They gave a dose of IV antibiotic vancomycin and sent him home with doxycycline. If he hadn't been adamant about knowing he had an infection (with his history of infections that they were aware of), this could have escalated pretty bad. Take charge of your care and follow your gut feelings.

Comment from: FeHope, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My initial cellulitis symptoms were unusually bad pain and redness outside a wound. I fell on a run on a Sunday and got a few abrasions, one on the inside of my forearm. I washed my wounds with soap and water at the time, put on some antibiotic cream, and bandaged them. I didn't think much of it. The abrasion on the inside of my forearm was the worst of them- about 1/2 the size of a dollar bill. By Wed, the other wounds were healing and this one did not seem to be healing well. Then, on Friday, my arm began getting severely painful (clothes touching my arm hurt). The nearby tissue that was not injured turned red (wrapping around my forearm, maybe 20 square inches), and I saw it progressing down my arm during the workday. I was not feeling well, really tired. As soon as I got out of work (I own a business, there are no sick days), I went to urgent care as my doctor did not have an appointment for weeks. They diagnosed it as cellulitis. I've been on antibiotics (Bactrim) for 3 days now. Yesterday was rough as I felt really bad and had a slight fever, but today I feel better. Redness is subsiding a bit, although still extends about 2 inches past the wound and my arm is still really painful. Moving my fingers/thumb on that arm hurts. Doctors want to recheck me tomorrow. Hopefully the pain will be getting better soon. I thought I cleaned the abrasion pretty well, but, in the future, I am going to really scrub them, even if it hurts.

Comment from: vjc1020, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 24

My 17 year old daughter started with a small lesion that looked like the picture provided for cellulitis. I rinsed it with peroxide and put Neosporin on it with a Band-Aid. A few days later it looked like it is drying out and more brownish instead of reddish. Then all of a sudden there are 4 small additional lesions near the original one (on the back of her arm). We went to the doctor who prescribed doxycycline 100 mg which she has taken 3 tablets so far. Now there is a new one that has formed on the back of her leg. We live in rural area and I don't know how knowledgeable area doctors are. It takes 6 months to get to any nearby dermatologist.

Comment from: Desi64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I woke up one morning feeling fine and got busy with my day. I dropped some green beans off at my sister's house and as I left her driveway my legs started tingling, by the time I got home (20 minutes) I was nauseous and could barely move. Everything ached. My fever hit 103.9 that evening and we went to urgent care who sent me to the emergency room (ER). Two days later the rash appeared on my left ankle and I could not walk. Again to the ER then a three night stay in the hospital with IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and my relief finally came with an antibiotic for staph and MRSA. One month and 5 days later I am able to walk again. My foot and leg are swollen and I still have minor pain. Nothing like early on. That was pain like I had never experienced before. There is still much I am not able to do but I feel more like myself. It has truly been a horrific time of my life.

Comment from: Maurice, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

It started with sore pain above thumb knuckle. No visible cut or scrape. Overnight fingers and wrist had swollen up. After days popping painkillers I attended the Accident and Emergency. I was diagnosed with cellulitis, kept in for 3 weeks on two types of IV antibiotics. I was informed I had septic arthritis/osteomyelitis and discharged with a further 2 weeks of antibiotic tablets.

Comment from: deb4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I almost missed knowing that I had cellulitis. I think what threw me off was that I had had dry cracked skin on my elbow for a couple of weeks. Then it began to swell and turn red over a couple of days. I also noticed quite a bit of pain beneath my underarm and I thought I had pulled a muscle. However after a couple of days, it was clear to me that something was amiss with my elbow beyond dry skin gone wild. The area was hot and puffy and red. I realized too that the pain and golf ball feeling in my underarm was swollen lymph nodes. Often cellulitis presents without any known broken skin, so I think this is how I did not realize initially that I had cellulitis.

Comment from: linuxguru, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a small pimple on my left cheek about an inch from my mouth, which I accidentally grazed with my fingernail and it ruptured. There was a small amount of blood that drained. I delayed cleaning and applying Mycitracin at this location for a couple of hours, and apparently it spread then. The pimple appeared to have healed over the next few days, but there was an underlying piece of hardness below a hair follicle. I extracted that hair with tweezers, and attempted to expel the lump below it by palpating it - big mistake! Within about 30 minutes I had a reddish inflammation about the size of a quarter. I treated this with antibiotic ointments for 3 days with no apparent effect, and a slow increase in size of the lesion. Finally, I went to the clinic and it was diagnosed as cellulitis, and Cefixime 200 (oral) 1-0-1 was prescribed. By the third dose, it was clear that it was not effective and the lesion was still spreading, with a diffuse itching on the outer surface similar to the sensation of sunburn. The antibiotic was switched to Augmentin 625 (oral), which appears to have got the spread under control after just one dose; the inflammation is less severe and is not spreading further. The course may have to be extended beyond 5 days, but it's still a relief. Moral of the story: never palpate a prior infection below an infected hair follicle.

Comment from: dziner05, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have no idea how I contracted cellulitis. One day I just noticed that my calf was red and swollen, as was my foot. No pain whatsoever, or any other symptoms besides severe itching. I'm on day three of antibiotics, and the redness seems to be subsiding. Although, I now seem to have pain in my upper leg. I am not sure if it's related or not. They did blood work, and there was no infection in my system. So, hopefully this isn't related.

Comment from: Terri, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 05

It was Saturday morning, and I was feeling fine. I was doing some inside light cleaning. At 1 PM, I suddenly got cold and started uncontrolled shivering. I put a sweater on and went to bed with blankets on and could not stop constant shivering for an hour and a half. Later, I took my temperature and it was 101. I stayed in bed because I didn't have any energy. Next morning my right arm had a red rash and hurt, and was swollen. My left knee hurt and was swollen but not red. I went to the doctor the next day and it was diagnosed as cellulitis. I was subscribed with antibiotic cephalexin and ibuprofen.

Comment from: Chazzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

My cellulitis started on my eyelid and I thought it was just a stye. Within a day's time it was 10 times worse. It looked like a giant pimple on my eye lid. In two days it had spread to my lymph nodes. I went to the emergency room and they gave me a shot in the hip and gave me drops, cream, and antibiotics. Well, I wasn't feeling any better and had to go to walk-in clinic to get stronger antibiotics. Finally I'm on Bactrim and getting a little better after 2 weeks. I've lost 17 pounds which probably isn't good. I just want to be 100% again. Cellulitis tends to hang around. It sucks!

Comment from: etltfd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I came into contact with poison Ivy and for three weeks was developing rash on arms body side and groin area. I developed blisters on right foot which was very itchy. I busted the blister to drain and saw doctor for rash. I was given prednisone and was told to call back if condition worsened. I developed fever two days later and went back to doctor who prescribed antibiotics. One day later leg became swollen and lymph nodes tender with pain on the side of leg were reddest. I was admitted to hospital for three days taking antibiotics intravenously. I'm still dealing with symptoms. Ankle swells during day after minor activity.

Comment from: TallGaloot, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

The first time I had cellulitis, I thought I was having a recurrence of the blot clot I had previously had - but in the other leg. Instead, I was in the hospital for a week with IV antibiotics. The leg was red to above the knee. The second time, I went to the doctor when I saw the redness on my ankle. It looks like I will be going in again tomorrow. Each time I initially ran a very high fever. I now believe that once you get this, you will have recurrences unless you are very careful and lucky.

Comment from: Tara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

First the cellulitis area (ankles and feet) gets really warm to the touch, then it starts itching, the area turns red. Try not to scratch the area, it only makes it worse. Within the next few hours my foot and ankle are swollen, the skin where it's swollen is tight and my foot feels like it's full of water. It's very painful. I can't put any pressure on the foot that's swollen. It sometimes also starts making red discolorations in my skin going up my calf and shin.

Comment from: sad mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I got a pedicure and she used a razor scraper and took off a chunk of skin. Within 24 hours my whole leg and foot was swollen, blotchy, red, burning, and hot to the touch. I spent 4 hours in the emergency room. They wanted to admit me for the cellulitis, but I didn"t want to stay so they let me go home on bed rest for 4 days. What was a lovely Mother"s Day gift with my daughter turned into a nightmare! Moral: Never let them use a razor-scraper on your feet, they are never cleaned, used from patient to patient.

Comment from: runningbunny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I got bit on the wrist by a cat one morning, and cleansed the wound thoroughly; or so I thought. I woke up with a raging fever, felt confused and disorientated to the point where I was convinced I was dying. Red rash had spread from the wound site up my arm almost to the elbow, arm had swollen, almost doubling in size. A quick trip to Accident & Emergency resulted in oral antibiotics, with IV route considered if there was no improvement. The rash site was drawn round in biro and I was sent home with the instruction to return straight away if the rash spread beyond those boundaries. Oral antibiotics worked a treat, thankfully.

Comment from: carra13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was out browsing yesterday afternoon when out of the blue I felt as if I was bitten by something. In a matter of minutes my ankle and right leg became beet red, swollen, hot and very tender areas that hurt to touch, also I could barely put pressure on foot to walk. This is the third time I develop this kind of cellulitis infection. I drove myself to the emergency room and all the while I developed chills, shaking uncontrollably. I had to put the heater in my car to keep warm, luckily I didn"t blackout. I was put on IVs of clindamycin two capsules every 6 hours and two tablets of Bactrim DS 800 MSG that I"m taking orally at home.

Comment from: Rocklike, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I drove 15 hours and had shoes on that were tight, and ankle socks. I took off shoes and socks to sleep and noticed ankles were thick and feet swollen. Next morning feet were red and hot. Right calf was tight and hurt. I went to the emergency room that night and had ultrasound for blood clots which was negative. The doctor diagnosed me with cellulitis. I am taking Keflex and Bactrim. I think I was bitten by a spider. I contracted MRSA 4 years ago in the hospital. Now I believe they are related. I have heard nothing but horror stories and I"m one of them. It is incredibly painful and scary. I"m stuck here until the 27th, another week. I hope I don"t die in the meantime.

Comment from: gonedrake, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had been feeling really tired over the period of a day or two. I slept in late and woke up late afternoon, and had a slight pain in my right breast/armpit area. Within an hour or two the pain got a lot worse, I had really bad chills and shaking, all my joints/muscles hurt, and I had a fever of almost 103. That night, the pain spread to my chest and shoulder, making it really painful to take a deep breath. My breast was swollen, hot, and streaked with pink. I went to the hospital the next morning and was put on an antibiotic IV for four days and am now on an oral antibiotic treatment. I had nipple piercings so the doctors say that the right piercing was the source of the cellulitis.

Comment from: mumof2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I first felt tired and lethargic, went home to sleep, and couldn't sleep. Within 3 hours I developed a lump in my groin lymph node. I went to the emergency room, they ran blood tests and I had fever and chills and was put on IV antibiotic for 4 days. I developed red rash on lower leg next morning, burning hot but no wound, I'm not sure how I got it. I was sent home with ten days of oral antibiotic, not improved so I had 6 days of IV antibiotic, then 5 days oral again, now on another 5 days of oral; the redness has reduced but not gone. It helped to draw a line around rash to monitor movement. I am still feel wiped out, leg still swollen and I have to rest often and elevate. I got on to this cellulitis very quickly - it is a serious condition - don't wait, get it treated quickly. I have been advised I may need several weeks more of antibiotics.

Comment from: Melinda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I had been in a car accident two years earlier and my right leg was broken so badly that we talked about amputation. I was stubborn and wanted to keep my leg. What a mistake that was... I had an ulcer that developed and everyday it got worse. I kept it clean and dressed only to go to the doctor every week to have him look at it and tell me that I needed a skin graft. Too many surgeries in a short time had left my ankle swollen and useless. I developed a fever of 102 that rose to 104 quickly one morning and could not stop vomiting. Nothing stayed down and all I wanted to do was sleep. I went to the emergency room directly the next morning after my leg turned purple. They diagnosed with cellulitis and showed me where the fluid was green and yellow and came out when they pinched the skin together. I stayed in the hospital for two months on IV antibiotics and came home with a home health care nurse on IV antibiotics. I lost my leg in the end anyway and it was for the best.

Comment from: Tom, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

On November 13, 2013 I was fine. I had a slight wound on my left ankle and I covered it with Neosporin and a Band-Aid. By the afternoon, I could not push the clutch in on my truck. I got home and looked at it and it was red and swollen, very painful. I went to the emergency room. They kept me and put me on Keflex IV, along with endomycin. On November 18, they did surgery and put a charcoal vacuum pump to drain the ankle, my foot looked like it was going to explode. On November 20, they removed the pump and left me with a 4 inch incision parallel to my Achilles tendon. Today is December 26 and it is healing. I can walk now, but still have ways to go on the incision. This happened so fast and hurt so much. They told me if I had waited it could have been much worse. The surgeon who treated me saved my life and my leg.

Comment from: heidi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Mine is under my arm; it is the size of a silver dollar, hard and a little red. I am sick to my stomach, very stiff, my whole body aches and I am very fatigued. I find it very hard to breathe at times and I walk everywhere. I get sweats and night chills at times.

Comment from: Tracy79, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

My first experience with cellulitis was, I shaved and then went swimming in the lake. I thought nothing of it, till about 3 days later. I never experienced fever and chills but I had hot and cold flashes. I thought it was just a bad case of the flu so I took a shower. That night my leg swelled up and got so red, so fast. Elevating it felt good but as soon as I got up, the pain was unbearable. I ended up seeing a doctor and she gave me antibiotics but it wasn't till 2 weeks or more was I able to stand on my feet for long periods of time. That was 2 years ago. I recently am recovering from another cellulitis outbreak on the opposite leg. I am just wondering if once I get it am at risk in getting it again.

Comment from: cdam112, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

My first symptoms began when I woke up and had a small, red, painful bump under my eye. Not thinking it was anything but maybe a pimple forming, I left it alone. The next day the redness and pain spread to my cheekbone and I noticed nodes on my jawline and behind my ear were so swollen that the pain was radiating toward my head. By the third day, the swelling had increased and the pain was still very present. The swelling started to affect my vision and I knew it was time to see a doctor. I was squeezed in to see a physician assistant the same day and was prescribed Bactrim and prednisone for a 7 and 5 day treatment. I was told to call back if it didn't get better in 48 hours and to possibly start an IV antibiotic because of the location of the swelling (the eye).

Comment from: Shelley, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I woke up on a Monday morning with a quarter sized red, sore mark below my left knee. By 3 am Tuesday, it was the size of a dinner plate, red, painful and sore. I went to the hospital and they prescribed me IV antibiotics at home for 3 days. By Wednesday afternoon, the redness had grown down my leg, the swelling was getting bad and the pain was getting intense. The nurse who came to change my IV told me to call an ambulance. I went back to emergency where they put another IV in me and admitted me. At its worst, the redness and swelling was well above my knee and down to my toes. The skin had started to overlap my toes. I was released on Friday with another 5 days of IV antibiotics and 10 days of oral antibiotics. I am on day 2 of the orals and the swelling is way down, the redness is still there and the pain is manageable. I spent a week and a half in a wheelchair unable to walk, but can now manage to get around on a cane.

Comment from: Twiggy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

My cellulitis developed in the tissue around the eye. It was very inflamed and sore, worse still, it took doctors a long time to realize what it was, describing it as an allergy. Eventually I was given an antibiotic, after my eye closed over from the swelling; it was not a good experience. I seem to get it around every October, once I was hospitalized with an IV.

Comment from: marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had had a cyst removed from the right side of my head just above my ear. In a couple of days I felt sick and had a headache. I went to the doctor as it was a Friday and I didn't want to end up in the emergency room on the weekend. The doctor sent me to a 24 hour surgery clinic where I was monitored for about 4 hours and there was no sign of cellulitis yet I felt sick and had a high temperature and a headache. I was sent to the hospital and luckily for me I had the head of infectious diseases on duty. He realized it was cellulitis in my face. They were going to cut my face open to drain the fluid, it was touch and go for 24 hours. I would have died had I not gone to the doctor, as it was I ended up staying in the hospital for a week and one side of my face was three times its normal size. If something in your body doesn't feel right its best to seek medical help.

Comment from: Frustrated, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had tenderness on my right inner thigh for a couple of weeks before the large red mark appeared. Looked like a whitish circle around the red area. The doctor first thought it was a bite. Though the thigh was tender, after a couple of days pain began through my whole body, neck to toe. I went to the emergency room because the pain was so bad. The emergency room doctor said it was cellulitis, not a bite. They changed my antibiotic and pain pill. I went back to the doctor again for follow-up and the pain was even worse. I have a herniated disc between c5 and c6 vertebrae so the doctor sent me back to the surgeon. The surgeon thought it was carpal tunnel and was prepared to do surgery. He ordered EMG and it was determined that it was not carpel tunnel and he didn't know what was causing pain. I slept in recliner for almost 2 weeks and could not even get out of bed at times because the pain was so excruciating, especially in my upper body. I told the surgeon I needed blood work to see if infection had spread to my bloodstream. All tests showed high inflammation. My doctor then sent me to a rheumatologist. There was more blood work, we still can't find why I was in so much pain. The rheumatologist sent me for a bilateral temporal biopsy. That was negative. Still seeing doctors and have been on steroids. The pain is gone now, but no one can really tell me if it was the cellulitis that caused the excruciating pain through my whole body or what. It is still a mystery. This all begin end of July 2013 and it is now mid-October. Really? I still say it was from cellulitis, but who am I, not the doctor of course.

Comment from: guyslittleacre, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

It started out with intense pain in my left breast, and the pain became more intense each day. My whole body ached, and the breast swelled more each day. A small pink spot showed up on the breast, and each day it spread until the entire breast was a pink color. The pain became unbearable, and I went to the hospital emergency room after four days. I was diagnosed with cellulitis. At that time, I was given an IV containing an antibiotic and a prescription for additional antibiotics and medication for pain. It was totally well within a week. I had not had an open wound or any exposure to animals, etc. I still don't know exactly what caused this condition. I shower, twice daily, don't have animals and keep a very clean house!

Comment from: Jm, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I have never had cellulitis before and then I got it on both my cheeks, oh my goodness, it is so painful.

Comment from: TLM, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My husband was diagnosed yesterday with cellulitis. His eyes are yellow. We are waiting to hear back on blood work. I wonder if anybody else ever had that with cellulitis.

Comment from: Laurie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Since the footrest on the recliner I sleep in was broken, my feet were less elevated for three nights. Both feet and ankles swelled up and turned bright red. It was a weekend, so my doctor was out. I found cellulitis on the internet and called the nurse on my health insurance's website. She advised me to go to the emergency room, but I didn't want to do that, didn't think my self-diagnosed problem could be serious, and transportation was a problem. I elevated the feet more, and my left foot improved.

Comment from: Beryl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My hand shakes, it is all swollen and my knuckles hurt. I cannot do anything with my right hand, pick anything up or do stuff with my hand. I wonder if it is cellulitis.

Comment from: Grsnt, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 17

There are red blotches on my upper arms and some on my right leg. I have had cellulitis for ages. People speak about cancer all the time.

Comment from: DonnaWitte, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had a Rocephin IM injection on May 7th. It didn't hurt at all. Four weeks later I started itching at the injection site and it was painful with a big knot inside. The knot wasn't there before the itching and pain started. It is also reddish purple at the site, a 2 inch circular area of discoloration. I wonder if this is cellulitis. It's becoming terribly uncomfortable to scratch/touch the area.

Comment from: CTRAO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I got an injury in my leg. I used antibiotics for 4 days, but no use. My leg was getting swollen. So I consulted a doctor. He said that it is cellulitis and has given treatment with antibiotics. But it is not controlled.

Comment from: tac, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 29

My ankle and part of the leg up to the knee are kind of a red purple with a lot of pain. I wonder if this is cellulitis. I am a 54 years old male with hepatitis C.

Comment from: Carolyn Rospopa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

First I had swollen feet. The doctor said it was from the extra 5 mg of high blood pressure medicines. I began, as per his advice, the new low dose 5 mg of amlodipine. It did help the blood pressure, however, next, my feet got more and more swollen. The doctor said still take them. Now, I have severe pain on whole foot and toes too. I wonder if this can be cellulitis, or blood clot.

Comment from: Karen1956, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I wonder if anyone else has had cellulitis of the cheek. I have swelling, pain, redness and it is hot to touch.

Comment from: Sarenna , 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

I am on Bactrim antibiotics now for 4 days for cellulitis and I see more rashes and redness come out. I wonder if I should be concerned or consult my doctor.

Comment from: Jo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 24

There is a large area from ankle to knee affected by cellulitis that looks like a scald mark.

Comment from: Cellulitis Stan, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 20

My forearm and elbow are red, swollen, tender and painful. It also feels and looks like it is filled up with liquid. I wonder if this is cellulitis.

Comment from: Rafael, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

My issue is with my arms. There is a large red area measuring up to 14 cm, and it has a red center bump that looks like a bite. It is warm to the touch, not too hard but flexible, and itches very badly. Within the last two month I have had it three different times. Coworker who is a physician said it looked to be cellulitis, but another said a bite, and to use Benadryl. I did that and after a few days it cleared up, and moved to another arm. I then went to primary care physician who said it looked like an insect bite and gave me antibiotics for ten days. The second day after finishing it appeared again on opposite arms. I wonder if this could be some type of bacterial infection or cellulitis.

Comment from: Michelle, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 26

My aunt is in a nursing home. She has very thin skin and yes, has skin tears. Her wrist is swollen, warm and is giving her a lot of pain to the extent that she is not using it. An x-ray has been done which apparently showed a cyst under the skin. Her other major symptom is that she has been unable to stand for about five days now. If this is cellulitis I wonder if this infection would or could cause these other symptoms. And yes, I have conveyed my concerns to the staff. Thank you!

Comment from: claire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

New Year's Eve I felt a mild pain in my lower leg, and as the night went on it started to get worse and started to swell. The more I walked the swelling started to spread upwards to the knee, and the pain was unbearable. Parts of my leg started turning yellow and there was a horrible feeling of a tingling pain travelling around my leg. When I go to bed or don't walk around on it the pain eases and the swelling will settle down. I have a small swelling at the bottom of my leg that feels numb, and as soon as I get up and start to walk my leg again starts to swell and I'm in absolute agony to the point I cannot walk on the leg at all. It starts to go yellow again and a tingling feeling is travelling around my leg. I have not yet been to the hospital and worried if it is cellulitis.

Comment from: mac, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

My foot is swollen from cellulitis. This happened two years ago.

Comment from: sunshine, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 02

This is my son who has the problem of cellulitis. We have been to numerous doctors, they can't tell us what this is, but the pictures I have just seen look just like what my son has. It keeps spreading and the redness and swelling have climbed up from his feet in the last year up to his crotch.

Comment from: Harry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I have cellulitis. I finished my 10 day supply of antibiotics. The redness is practically gone but the burning pain and swelling are still there. My temperature is normal, but I feel like I am burning up.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter