Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Treatments

What was your treatment for cellulitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I dropped a heavy bookend on my toe and it was cut deeply. A few days later, I felt like the bones in the top of my foot were broken and hurting. A knot came up (I am on blood thinner - Eliquis). Then my foot turned purple red from toes to ankle. I had severe pain and could not put any pressure on it. Next week, my hand did the same thing. I took Cipro, then clindamycin. A week later I went to the emergency room and had antibiotics through IV. During the next week all started fading away. It took most of the month of December for this cellulitis to run its course.

Comment from: Gail, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I noticed a small red bump on my top right breast after working in the garden. I thought it could have been an ant bite. I took a shower and put antibiotic ointment on it. I have a low immune system due to arthritis medications. Well, 2 days later the bump swelled and the area looked like I had been beaten up, the breast was red hot and draining. It hurt badly. I went to the emergency room and it was cellulitis. I was prescribed clindamycin 300 mg every six hours for a week. I am feeling much better.

Comment from: pbaczuk, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 17

The emergency room infused IV Keflex and put me on oral Keflex for cellulitis. When I saw my regular doctor, she ordered clindamycin.

Comment from: Mo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I didn't know what I had till my partner saw my leg. It was very hot and red. I went to the emergency room and they gave me antibiotics. I had to stay overnight to see if the antibiotics took, and they did. They let me go home and it cleared up in a few days.

Comment from: ernie, 55-64 Female Published: February 24

I have experienced frequent urination problems for years. Recently, while driving in late January, I experienced a severe urge to urinate. I stopped to alleviate. I was only able to slowly urinate. About 15 to 30 minutes later I had the same problem. After small urination I felt relieved. I made it to where our daughter lives. I developed a 101 fever. Then I couldn't urinate, and went to the emergency room. They did bloodwork and inserted a catheter. I took Cipro and cephalexin and the infection cleared up. I went back to my urologist. I am taking tamsulosin and finasteride, and scheduled for surgery in April. I still have catheter. Infection is not due to urinary tract infection; possibly, infection in other parts of body or prostatitis.

Comment from: Lily, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 08

My mom has really bad cellulitis, she gets so sick and she has no clue how to seek help! I wish I could help her. When she goes to the hospital, they don't give her any doctor's name or advise. One doctor wouldn't help her at all! Her condition is getting worse and is almost on the verge of death.

Comment from: craig, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had vasectomy on January 11, 2016. That is almost two weeks ago. I am still recovering. The two visits I have made to the emergency room the doctors were less than helpful. I didn't have much swelling however my sac turned almost black with pass-out pain. I then went to my family doctor. She gave me antibiotics, which helped overnight. She told me it had been twenty years since she had seen anyone take more than three days to recover. Then she informed me that a patient had a testicle removed, to stop the pain. Two days later my sac was light purple. My left side is still swollen. The pain on that side is unbearable still. Bottom line, the surgeon made a mess, and the other local doctors are protecting him.

Comment from: DepressedGurl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was on clindamycin for cellulitis while I was in the hospital for a week, and when I was released I was given Bactrim 800 mg. Both antibiotics worked really great.

Comment from: Max, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I took activated charcoal capsules after swallowing some water (accidentally) that had been sitting around in our living room for a week or so. Normally my digestive system overreacts to bacteria, etc. The charcoal must have absorbed the impurities in the water because I had no ill effects. I will keep charcoal capsules in the house.

Comment from: The Joker, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

There are only two ways to treat scabies. One go see your doctor. Two, what helped me get cured is using either antifungal powder or best home remedy, pure neem oil. Apply in affected areas. Neem oil will numb the itching and provide relief within 3 or 4 days. And you should wash your clothes, especially your blankets and bedsheets. Because scabies is a fungal infection. So the fungus might be in your bedsheets even after you get cured and it may again cause you scabies. Only people who have suffered from scabies will know the pain of re-infestation. And it especially spreads in hostels and where many people live together it is contagious. Hope people who read this get cured with the best antifungal natural home remedy neem oil but it should be pure. Best of luck from one of the victims of scabies.

Comment from: sstrain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I went to the doctor today because of an extremely painful sore on my left upper thigh. It is red but has about 15 things that look similar to bite marks inside of the bigger lump. It started hurting yesterday and now I am in so much pain that I had to go to the doctor today on my lunch break. My doctor told me that it was cellulitis and asked if I had rubbed against anything in the yard, or been into anything unusual, which I hadn't. She prescribed me amoxicillin because I am 4 months pregnant and that is one of the only antibiotics safe to take during pregnancy. She said if it hadn't gotten better in 2 days, to call back, and that they would give me a shot of an antibiotic inside the bump.

Comment from: PGKid, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Two years ago I developed cellulitis, up until then I never heard of it. Not knowing the warning signs I put off going to the hospital for most of the day. When I went it was quite bad infection on my left leg up my left leg and thigh. Apparently my white count was so high they admitted me immediately and gave me IV antibiotics every 4 hours. The fluid blisters on my lower leg were huge and disgusting, dripping continuously. I ended up going to wound debridement once I was out of the hospital, to help clean up and heal from my knee to my ankle. I still have skin scarring but I can walk on my leg and that's all that matters. Needless to say 3 weeks in the hospital and 3 weeks on outpatient IV therapy gave me a new understanding for the seriousness of this disease. All caused by a sore on my toe which took over 2 years to get healed up. While healing I had reoccurring bouts of cellulitis.

Comment from: Lynnda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation six months ago after passing out 2 times within an hour and them again in the ambulance. I have had cardioversion 3 times. First 2 did not work. Third time seems to be holding. I take amiodarone, Taztia, Xarelto, metoprolol, hydrochlorothiazide, and losartan potassium. A lot of pills but they seem to be working.

Comment from: jennaluv38, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am 43 and have cellulitis for the first time. It started out like a boil in the middle of my back, and within 4 days, was the size of a baseball. I finally went to urgent care, where they did a CT scan to see how far the infection had spread. They were mostly concerned because the huge knot was covering part of my spine. Tests showed that it had not spread, and I was sent home with two prescriptions of antibiotics. It has been nine days now on medications, and the lump has dramatically reduced in size, and I am feeling much better. Mine was not lanced, so now I am very concerned about this huge blistery sore on my back.

Comment from: Helena, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I am being treated with penicillin at present, two types, co-amoxiclav 250/125 mg containing penicillin and also flucloxacillin 250 mg. The treatment for cellulitis is ongoing and it started last Tuesday 16/12/14.

Comment from: Eric, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I came down with cellulitis originating from a boil on my lower back. The culture taken showed a MRSA staph infection susceptible in the lab to clindamycin. My dermatologist prescribed 4 times a day 150 mg of clindamycin. Nothing improved and the infection raged out of control. I got very worried and went to the local emergency room (ER). The attending doctor was shocked when he saw my back and was ready to admit me. He then asked a critical question as to what was my dosing and when I said 600 mg a day he immediately said totally inadequate, it needs to be at least 1400 to 2000 mg a day. When I asked why primary care physicians do not know this he said this is a general problem, that is, under dosing. I went to 4 times 450 mg a day which in less than two days solved a real serious problem. The moral of the story is that cellulitis needs to be hit hard at the maximum dose level many physicians, do not understand this, however ER physicians do.

Comment from: MLPNY, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 04

My husband's cellulitis was treated for weeks with numerous antibiotics, none of which worked to cure the infection. He saw an infectious disease doctor who put him on plain penicillin - that is the only thing that worked. His infection was gone in 2 days!

Comment from: katie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had the flu with temperatures of 104 + for two days; and lower temperatures on other days. After getting over the flu I noticed a couple of reddish places on my knee and side of my leg. It started getting bigger so I went to the doctor. He first gave me an ointment which didn"t work. Then two doctors looked at it and immediately sent me for outpatient intravenous injection of the new antibiotic, Cubicin for 4 days. Then I was given oral antibiotics for a week. The intravenous injection was amazing! I am doing well and have learned so much. I had never heard of this cellulitis.

Comment from: Eltorow, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

My treatment for cellulitis was as follows. After I was admitted to the hospital, I was put on antibiotic drips with Augmentin and Ciprobay. My skin lesions and infection continued for three to four days even after the IV. I oozed yellowish liquid from my skin and wounds. The doctor said it's serum but I just don't know. I had my right leg, ankle and calf cleaned and dressed twice a day. It was extremely painful cleaning the surrounding skin, etc. I had to take Oxycontin to get some relief. After nine days my condition improved enough for me to be discharged.

Comment from: SeniorCellulitis, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My mom was in the hospital for 17 days for bronchitis and was released. Her legs were still swollen and within a week started to turn red, tender to the touch and she could barely walk on her feet. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic and gave her Lasix for the swelling. Two days later she was admitted to the hospital for cellulitis. It is important to listen to the patient and monitor progress. She needed hospital intravenous antibiotics. The pills didn't work. Thank goodness we went to the emergency room.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

Found physiotherapy didn't work for my rotator cuff injury, I am waiting for an MRI and then I expect surgery.

Comment from: Lorilee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

My tinnitus sounds like standing next to a tree that is full of a thousand birds chirping. I also have hearing sensitivity to average to loud noises.

Comment from: Evamarie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

See your primary doctor as soon as possible. I went to her, and she sent for some blood work. It so happened that my white cells were low and the spleen was enlarged and it was not going through. Yesterday I went to the hospital. The doctor told me I have cellulitis. She referred me to a hematologist and he will make the decision of sending me to a surgeon, to remove spleen. Good luck.

Comment from: DeeCee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I got cellulitis. Three months ago, I had ingrown hair and spent a week in the hospital. I had 2 rounds of antibiotics from the primary care physician. The area still has pain and if I am on my feet the area where it seems to have 'settled' swells. This is an awfully painful infection and I really don't think we fully recover from it. I would love to hear from patients that had it years ago and it didn't return, but it seems that's not the case.

Comment from: mb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

Bactrim was my treatment for cellulitis, nothing else will touch it.

Comment from: June, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a diagnosis of cellulitis in my right Leg – ankle and foot. I had 4 weeks of erythromycin and was told that the infection was gone, but to concentrate on getting rid of the swelling. It is now 6 weeks and my ankle is still swollen, even though I did the elevating of leg, but I was given furosemide to take in the morning and lunch time. Then the doctor wanted to up the dosage from 20 mg to 40 mg, I haven"t taken them as I am allergic to furosemide, in the past when I had it, it started my Sciatica pain off. I just don"t know what options I have to get rid of the pain in my ankle and now my whole leg as the sciatica seems to have started, and my ankle is still swollen.

Comment from: lefkasman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

My hand was bitten by a dog, I went to hospital where it was treated and bandaged. I went back a week later as the hand had swelled massively so I was admitted immediately. I spent 3 days on a drip and then sent home, very much better and the swelling has receded.

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I can't remember how many times now I have gotten a small scratch on my leg down by my ankle in the same spot every time and it has turned into a wound, along with a full blown case of cellulitis. It took me two years to get one of my wounds to heal up all the way. No one understands how very painful this disease is until they actually experience it. I just got a new wound in the same spot again but this time it has made a sore about the size of my hand. I have found a wound care doctor is your only hope of getting rid of the sores. I did learn though that those support socks help a lot in the treatment process. After I get past the hot inflamed part wearing those helps with the circulation and both of my wound care doctors insisted I wear them.

View Staph Infection Slideshow
Comment from: noglassslippers, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am diabetic and have been undergoing skin grafts for a deep crack in my foot. The day after my very last visit to wound center, I developed chills and low-grade temperature. My ankle became hot and red and painful. My doctor diagnosed it as cellulitis and put me on 10 days of Keflex. It is starting to improve. I'm keeping a close watch on the "hot spot" and staying off my foot as much as possible.

Comment from: Mike43, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

Two weeks ago a known dog bit me on my lower leg (calf muscle). I did not go to the hospital that day, and the dog bite (4 punctures) started to get swollen and painful. After two days, I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with Cellulitis, and prescribed Augmentin 800mg/twice a day. After a few days, this did not work, and my doctor changed it to Bactrin 1g/12 hours. Meanwhile, the wound got bigger, with the whole calf red, painful, with smelly discharge leaking down my bandages. Now after two weeks, I'm out of medicine, the wound got smaller but still leaks yellow matter, it looks like doctors don't learn anything in school nowadays about this prehistoric illness. I am very disappointed of all my doctors and their care!

Comment from: trace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Was going for my Saturday morning 30k run. Car was speeding, lost control, veered right at me. I don't know how, but I survived and ended up in the bush with a badly cut knee. 2 massive gashes. Being stubborn and obviously in shock, I refused to go to hospital and kept running. By the end, very sore and went to hospital. Treated with intravenous antibiotics, and oral, cleaned and around 25-30 stitches all up, some inside some outside. By the Mon. huge pain, back to hospital to be admitted. Hot, sick, headaches like never before and just rotten. Got transferred to a public hospital, left in waiting room for 4hrs sweating and feeling awful then more antibiotics. Also the diagnosis. I cannot believe it as I am so healthy and fit and now can't run and it isn't healing as it should. Not sure if the headaches are from the antibiotics or what, but whatever it is, it hurts going in. I hope this works.

Comment from: Tony, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

No swelling, but slight redness with a few darker spots, tightness of ankle, a very tender sole as if walking on hot coals. On and off foot numb. Possibly developed from angioplasty, which also seems to have been a failure. Not sure if this is cellulitis, but still lots of pain and antibiotics stopped after seven days. Now on Lyrica Pregabalin which does not as yet seem to have kicked in - only been on for two days.

Comment from: cej517, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I went to the beach yesterday and was bitten by a horse fly. It burned and itched at first. 6 hours later my thigh was red, hot and very swollen. I had to work today and drew a line around the inflammation to see if it had spread, of course it did. My doctor has put me on Cephalexin. Hopefully this will work. I have to take 2000 MG a day for 7 days.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 12

My husband has had 5 bouts with cellulitus and/or Shingles. Some doctors had different opinions. It started with temp, chills, lightly red area between waist and buttocks. Treatments have varied first and second times a fairly large blister developed. I was hospitalized for a week or so on high doses of antibiotics. The third time he received high dose antibiotics at the emergency room within a few hours of symptoms starting and was sent home with antibiotic, anti viral and Prednisone. No blister formed and he was fine in 3 days. 4th time the doctor waffled about what it was. Admitted him and started high dose antibiotics, no anti viral or Prednisone. He was in the hospital a week and had an open wound about 5 inches tall and about 10 inches long. 5th time he received high dose antibiotic at emergency room, sent home with anti viral and Prednisone, no blister and cleared in a few days. Getting in quickly and beginning the 3 drugs quickly seems to be key to avoid bigger problems. Note, he has congestive heart problems and diabetes. No wound in area when it starts.

Comment from: Suitcasey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have cellulitis in my baby toe on my left foot. It started 6 days ago with my toe really hurting and continuing to get worse for a few days. I couldn't see anything when I looked at it. No bite, no marks etc. and I had not injured it. By the 3rd day I woke up to a very red and swollen toe and a lot of pain. It continued to worsen so I finally saw my doctor yesterday and he diagnosed cellulitis and started me on antibiotics (ciprofloxacin) for 7 days as well as Tylenol 3 for pain. I'm surprised at how painful it is as I can't even put my shoe on and I have a high pain threshold. I've never had anything like this before and my doctor could not see any break in the skin on my toe so is uncertain how I got it.

Comment from: Victoria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

The most effective treatment I have found for my bouts of cellulitis is the drug Biaxin or Biaxin XL. I have had a few bouts of cellulitis with no obvious cause. I was even hospitalized once for seven days on Keflex by IV. It was not effective for me and I continued with four additional oral prescriptions before it was under control. Biaxin begins to start the decrease of redness and swelling on the second day of treatment for me. I now ask my doctor for this antibiotic if cellulitis is suspected.

Comment from: Greg, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I first had a small itch on my chest anterior wall that I scratched. Within 4hours it was very warm and inflamed and developed a black crust at the centre. Within 12 hours it was extremely painful and I had a temp of 103.1 with cold sweats and shivers. When to the doctor next morning and I was put straight into hospital. Initially I was treated with IV antibiotics every 6 hours but due to allergic to penicillin it made treatment very difficult. Within 24 hours it had spread across entire left side of chest around under arm with area turning dark purple. Additional antibiotic of lycamiacin was given and by 72 hours infection had stopped spreading but a large abscess about 150x200 had formed in chest muscle. Had the site been surgically opened, cleaned and dead tissue removed at 120 hours it would have been okay. I spent 7 days total in hospital continually on IV antibiotics. Now on oral Keflex 500mg every 6 hours with a large hole still in chest after 14 days that needs constant repacking and cleaning. Doctors have told me it will take several weeks for the wound to fully heal.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

Mine started from a cat scratch but there was MRSA in the house also. It started as a round, and very tender to the touch, spot that felt like liquid underneath almost like a big blister. It enlarged and became very painful and also spread to the other leg. It made sort of a line and proceeded to move slowly around my calf and feet. Doc threw every antibiotic he could at it to the point that my stomach felt raw. They would slow it down for a day or two for each different antibiotic but then went back to full throttle. I was in very much pain so I finally went to hospital and was admitted and they put two IV's in and ran antibiotics into me plus other stuff. It finally stopped but had spread all the way around my lower legs. It damaged my skin and nerves to the point that I can no longer stay on them very long. The pain is like someone stabbing you, all over the lower legs and feet, with ice picks. After surgeons looking and other specialists, there is nothing that can be done to stop the pain. Cold weather makes it extremely worse. If you get this, go to hospital and have it taken care of asap. After the fluid feeling red spot passed over, it left a mess of my legs. Because I trusted the doc I now have to deal with the pain and ugliness for the rest of my life.

Comment from: terribleaumont, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

After a year of cellulitis infection under the skin in belly area my friend still has it. Also, many surgeries have been done to clean it and stitch it. Very depressing.

Comment from: moecanic, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

My pain started with a golf ball size red spot in the middle of rib cage in the middle of my chest on my right side. Within 72 hours it covered an area from my belt to within a thumb with of my armpit. My skin is really tight and it looks like a sunburn and is sore to the touch. The medical team could not find a point of origin. I was told that it was possible when I was in the hospital 2 months ago for pneumonia, that I could have been carrying a staph blood infection. That I may have bumped my side and it bruised the top of my ribs and the staph germ entered the area that way .The only thing is, I don't remember bumping my side, but it is possible. My treatment was a shot in my hip (can't remember the medicine) and a regiment of Keflex taking orally.

Comment from: Colonel col, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had penicillin and 3 days later I am feeling much better.

Comment from: mv2469, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I got treated for a bursitis-cellulitis yesterday in the emergency room. I am also on 2 antibiotics first one is Cleocin 4 times a day and the 2nd one is Bactrim 2 times a day.

Comment from: icc87, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had cellulitis after Thanksgiving last year! I am still recovering - June 2013! I am diabetic, had three small blisters on the back of my right calf. It got infected, the blisters joined together into one! Hurt like h*** and went to my Internist who tried to heal with antibiotics. Meds weren't strong enough, went back and received stronger antibiotics shots which helped a little but infection was too big. Pain was a 14 on a scale of 1 - 10. Finally saw a Wound Specialist who sent me to the hospital IMMEDIATELY to have the infection cut out. He "operated" 3 times over about 12 days! I came home with a wound vacuum - awesome technology and two different antibiotics! Getting close to being well! DO NOT FOOL AROUND WITH THIS SKIN DISORDER/ DISEASE! IF YOU ARE DIABETIC GET YOUR SUGARS UNDER TIGHT CONTROL! It does make a difference!

Comment from: rgonza67, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

May 6, 2013. 2 days ago develeoped a small red area about 3 inches below my armpit. Thought it was a pimple. It got bigger and bigger but no head formed. This solid feeling mass got to be about the size of a large pea, VERY painfull. Woke up this a.m. unable to sleep due to pain. Went to the ER. Doc took a quick look determined it to be cellulitis. Sent me home with Sulfamethoxazole 800mg/ Trimethoprim 160mg. Hope this works. Feels like I have an orange tucked between my arm and the side of my chest. A painfull orange.

Comment from: Marti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

This is my third go round with cellulitis. It starts with redness and swelling and a tingling sensation. Then it feels hard. I always go to the ER because they're concerned I may have a blood clot. The only cause I can think of is that I have no fat padding on the bottoms of my feet and I get callouses. Yes, I do see a podiatrist and I go to get fitted at a good shoe store.

Comment from: carla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

My leg began to swell and turn red and hurt for a couple of days. I didn't think much of it until I woke up one morning with a high fever and chills. My husband took me to the hospital, where I was treated for cellulitis. I was there for four days and got worse by the minute. My leg broke out with nasty blisters from the ankle to the knee. My white cells went crazy, and then my kidneys and lungs started shutting down. I turned blue and was transported to another hospital 70 miles away, where I was treated for three weeks. I am back home now, but my leg looks burned and I have to treat it and wrap it every day. I have to see the kidney doctors to treat my kidneys. This is something very serious and should not be overlooked.

Comment from: cathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had a hysterectomy in October of 2012. I developed a wound dehiscence (splitting) and wore a wound VAC for three months. I had a small area that still needed to heal and was told it would just take time. I got cellulitis in December and was in the hospital for three days on Cipro and Flagyl. Three years later, I have cellulitis again and am on oral Cipro and Flagyl. I still have a wound opening and am making an appointment at a wound care center. I hope that healing the wound will stop the cellulitis. I had a very high fever and flu-like symptoms. Also, all the skin turned dark purple and was very hot.

Comment from: Dan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a small cut on my elbow. After setting my elbow down at work (in a high traffic area) my elbow swelled up and became painful. I went to the urgent care the next day and the doctor prescribed 875 mg of Augmentin twice a day, for 10 days. After a few days of taking the antibiotic it was obvious it was not working. The infection continued to spread until pretty much my whole arm was swollen. I went back to an urgent care and they gave me an IV of Cephalenxin and an oral prescription of 500 mg four times a day, for 10 days. The results were apparent as quick as the next day. 10 days after taking Cephalenxin my swelling/redness has been reduced to just around my elbow. I'm going to urgent care for the third time to follow up.

Comment from: old girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I suffered most of last year with many bouts of cellulitis, iv antibiotics did nothing. Eventually it subsided of own accord. Great relief for itching from apple cider vinegar, 2 tbspns neat, chased with water when itching starts. Also swab site with same, if it stings it's a relief from itching and doesn't last.

Comment from: Sad for her, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

My disabled daughter is 19. She went to school and came home with a swollen right foot. We thought it was sprained. We took her to the emergency room, and she was diagnosed with acute cellulitis. She's never had anything like this before. Besides, she had no open or healing wound on or around her toes, ankle, bottom or top of her foot. They gave her an injection of Rocephin and sent us home with Bactrim, Keflex, and Tylenol. She also has bruising around her ankle, above it and below it.

Comment from: msholly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was diagnosed with cellulitis about 15 years ago under my left breast. It has only flared up three times about every five years. It is so painful. Presently my doctor has me on Bactrim, and it is taking forever to work, although other antibiotics worked in the past. It looks like a balloon-filled boil (it is not a rash), and it is red and painful all around it.

Comment from: susan b, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I developed cellulitis twice in my left breast. The last time I had this, I was in the hospital for five days with strong antibiotics.

Comment from: ARBIE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

About a week ago I broke my elbow open. I thought nothing of it 3 days later my arm began to swell considerably. I went to a Dr. and he told me it was a bad infection. He drained it and placed packing in it. (He told me he had placed a "wick" in it that I could remove by Monday. It is very painful with a lot of body aches, fever, and general flu-like symptoms. Also I have developed a poison ivy like rash on several parts of my body.

Comment from: min, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had bad bouts of cellulitis over a period of 25 years. Each time it is harder to shift. The latest lot saw me on intravenous antibiotics for 2 weeks then 1000 mg of Keflex every 6 hours this has continued for 3 1/2 years under Doctors supervision and every time I try to get off Keflex the cellulitis starts to return. My initial lot started as a result of mosquito bites all those years ago.

Comment from: Niki, Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 34 years old and I have had cellulitis 3 times in the same place. Directly under my right eye. Very close to the eye. The 1st time was right after getting a hair cut, and I believe a small hair poked my skin, or at least caused me to scratch that spot. It has came back twice in the same area, not sure why.

Comment from: billie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Was diagnosed with celluitis within 24 hours of receiving two yellow jacket stings. Redness surrounding stings grew larger, harder, with raised borders. Began keflex regimen. Pain and itch is very pronounced.

Comment from: mamaritt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had abdominal surgery 7 weeks ago. 4 weeks ago I noticed that my lower abdomen below the incision was swelling, turning red and very warm/hot to the touch. I only ran a slight fever. The doctor put me on Cipro which wasn't strong enough. I went to the ER 5 days after starting Cipro. I felt like my incision was going to burst open and in a lot of pain. The ER doctor diagnosed cellulitis caused from excess blood accumulation (perfect bacterial medium). I was given Invance intravenously for 5 days, 3 during my hospital admission and 2 as outpatient. I'm on Augmentin 875mg 2x daily, now orally for what will probably be 20 days. My drain scar has now burst open and began oozing pus and blood at first, now it won't close and is just a little blood. I have to change the dressing about every 3 hours during the day, but lying down reduces the blood flow and I can go all night without soaking through. Rest, antibiotics, and time is what I've been told. Improvement is very slow and I am depressed over this.

Comment from: JJ, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

My daughter is 6 months 3 weeks and at first I got scared so I took her to the clinic I had thought something had bit her but then they decided to do some blood test and they left us in the hospital. She had iv put in her and antibiotics it got really big swollen and purple so her doctor thought it would be best to poke it with a needle and bring out the puss so they put some numbing cream on her little breast which that's where it was; and covered it with clear tape while they got ready and then 5 min later I noticed a whole bunch of blood and puss on her gown so I called the nurse in right away. That made it all easier from there the doc just squeezed out the puss and the swelling went down dramatically by the next day we were already home.

Comment from: liz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a small pimple at the back of my thigh. I squeezed it and after 2 days I had terrible pain and heat around the site. Within a few hours I the swelling increased to the size of a base ball and the heat was unbearable. My doctor gave me oral antibiotics flucloxalin 500mg to take 3 times a day. I did but after 2 days the swelling was getting worse and unbearable. I had no fever but went back to my doctor who told me it was cellulitis and I was put on IV antibiotics cefuroxime and gave me 6 probenecid tablets to take orally. I will have another dose of IV abs tomorrow and hopefully that will fix it. The swelling is still there but the heat and pain are a lot better.

Comment from: Mssig, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have a red warm spot on my foot. It is about the size of a half dollar. I have had it before and was given antibiotics. After about the 5th time I did not take the antibiotics and it went away on its own. The Drs. have called it cellulitis, and they tested for gout which was negative. I even had a bone scan. It is really bad again and spreading. I went to the urgent care and told the Dr. my story and he gave me some cream called triamcinolone acetonide. I'm afraid to use it because he said if it is cellulitis it could make it worse.

Comment from: swannin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I felt like someone punched me in the bridge of my nose and no one had. It was very tender and a bit red. I had pain when I lightly touched the bridge of my nose for over a week and then I started with a bad headache, sporadic ringing in my ears, and at times pain that would go down to my teeth. Oh, and to boot I'm pregnant. I went to the doctor with the feeling like someone punched me in the nose. The doctor told me my blood pressure was 147/80 which is very high for me. Mine is normally 107/70. She prescribed me Dexamehasone (steriod) 3 days and Amox-Clav (antibiotic) 5 days. In 1 day I am feeling much better. I even went out to have my blood pressure checked and it dropped to 121/76.

Comment from: cindypoo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I put on a glove from a garage the other day, got some kind of a stinging bite, shook the glove off and anything in there, the pain was a sharp pain, kind of like a bee sting, the next day there was redness, some swelling, the next day large red blotched and more swelling on the hand, I finally went to ER and was put on IV antibiotic and steroids for a few days, 6 hours apart for treatment, diagnosis was cellulitis. There was a small puncture in pinky finger, still now sure what bit me, but am on pill forms antibiotics 2 every 6 hours until gone.

Comment from: ldymargaret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was told I had an insect bite that caused extreme swelling in my lower leg which was very painful. I was given a cream by the doctor and was told the swelling would go down. It didnt, in fact the swelling went to my foot and was so large (the size of a small football). I couldn't wear shoes or slippers, and finally after 2 weeks of severe pain I had chelation therapy. After the first treatment I was able to walk no pain. I continued the therapy and within the first week and all swelling and pain was gone. I have not had any reoccurences.

Comment from: Dee Dee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 19

This is about the 10th time for cellulitis since my Mastectomy 28 years ago. Most recently 2 weeks ago I recieced Augmentin orally for 6 days with 2 IM injections of Rochepin-followed by 9 days of Out-Patient I .V. therapy of Rocephin. This episode occurred in the pointer finger of my right hand and spread to all the fingers and I had swelling in whole hand-very painful. I had no temperature.

Comment from: DD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was diagnosed with cellulitis. The doctor originally thought it was gout. No breaks in skin or wounds. I got antibiotics, it went away after a week, but 10 days later it came back on the other foot. Now it started again a month later in a different area. I am not overweight nor do I have Diabetes.

Comment from: mysterylady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

My symptoms started last Wednesday at work my arm started to itch and I was scratching it and it was a little red then that night I got home the arm kept itching and I kept scratching it an then the next morning it was big an swollen and red like fire the only thing that helped was the hot water. I didn't know what to do so I called my doctor and got an appt. when I got there the arm was so big it was ugly and burning I got sum antibiotics and the swelling went down but the pain was still there I was told it was cellulitis.

Comment from: lilaudrey, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

Clindamycin was prescribed. It has been taken every once in a while for three years. The cellulitis doesn't seem to go away.

Comment from: gddog89, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

It started for me last week, I noticed pain and swelling to my left ankle. Not sure what I did I ignored it and hobbled around Sunday until it became quite red, swollen, hard, and started to spread. I went to the emergency room via driving myself and went through ultrasound to rule out a blood clot. Thankfully a blood clot was ruled out and it was determined to be cellulitis. On my first 24 hours of antibiotics and it has dissipated a bit (redness and swelling) and I go back in two days for a follow-up, will keep you advised. Painful but I can walk on it.

Comment from: DCmama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I developed cellulitis in my left cheek. Very painful and spreading toward my eye. This is apparently very dangerous (because the brain could be infected through the eye). I was hospitalized for several days and put on intravenous antibiotics and pain killers. I was in intensive care for several days. When it spread to one of my teeth (one with an old, long root canal), I had to have the tooth removed and was again treated with antibiotics.

Comment from: christee52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had been working outside putting my garden in and since I have rosella I thought my very red face was caused from too much sun. Last night my face swelled and started to really hurt, by this morning my eye and neck were swollen. I immediately went to the doctor who diagnosed Cellulitis. He put me on two antibiotics. Since I am on Coumadin, I have to go in every 2 days for a PT to see where my levels are. We think I picked a bump on my face and that became infected.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter