Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: map, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

My left leg, knee, and foot got swollen for about a week. I went to four different doctors, and I was told that my legs were swelling because I was retaining water. I was showing a little rash on my leg, the doctors asked me a few questions, and one doctor gave me water pills. I told them something was wrong, my legs hurt, and my feet hurt. About five days later, I got off work and my legs were red. The swelling had gone down, but now both my legs were red, hurt, and hot, and no one knew what was wrong. I went to another doctor, she looked and asked me the same questions, and told me I had cellulitis. She gave me doxycycline 100, it has been two days and the reddish area is turning brownish, but it is looking better. I thank her, no one else knew what it was, so if your doctor doesn't know, keep looking.

Comment from: gabi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have cellulitis on my legs and have been twice in the hospital last year. Both my legs were red, hot and swollen. Also I have a lot of water, for which I take water pills, and when they became blisters, they opened up and leaked out. I had to go to the wound care clinic, because it would not stop and the pain was from the scale 1-10 was sometimes a 10. So now I'm in the same boat again. I bumped my leg on the dishwasher door and it won't stop. I got bandage on it, but after a few hours everything is totally wet.

Comment from: Pattycake, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was in a mosquito infected area and got bitten. About a day later I noticed my right leg felt painful to the touch. After two days I couldn't walk or even touch my leg. It was swollen and discolored with cellulitis. I spent a few days in the hospital under large dosages of pain medication and antibiotics.

Comment from: DeannlackDebra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

Three weeks prior I felt like I may have had a sliver or splinter but it was so very small I never saw it. It was on the end of my elbow. At first it swelled a little and I tried to see why but couldn't see anything. When I finally went to the doctor my elbow and entire forearm were 3 times the right size, and it was warm to the touch. My primary told me to go to the emergency room. They did an x-ray and 2 different sonograms and they saw an abscess and a large part of my arm cobblestone infected meaning little bubbles deeps in the skin. They drained the large one and put me on IV antibiotics for 12 hours in the hospital. They sent me home with 3 more different antibiotics. Glad I went!

Comment from: Greenie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My husband had a pimple on his nose and two days later his face all got red hard and swollen. He took antibiotics for a day, but no change. He is in hospital on IV antibiotics for cellulitis, been on it a day and no change yet.

Comment from: MAN WTF, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I am not sure how I contracted cellulitis. I felt a small lump in my groin and thought I had an inguinal hernia. A few days later the pain increased and my skin from my pelvis to my penis started bubbling and swelling. I went to the emergency room. While at the emergency room I noticed I had a pimple like bump on the underside of my penis. I wondered if it was spider bite but the doctor said it was not likely. I also work in a hospital so may have got it from a bathroom in the hospital. Blood work came back fine and so did urine. I started antibiotic treatments and began to get bad headaches, fevers and chills. Five days into the antibiotics I got a rash on my upper body and went into the emergency room and got an IV. No more symptoms after this visit and I stopped antibiotics.

Comment from: nosey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had what I thought was an ingrown hair just inside my nose and it was a little sore. Two days later my nose started swelling and the pain was so bad that I could not touch my nose. By the third day I developed a redness on the outside of my nose and swelling all over that side of my face. I went to the doctor who told me it was cellulitis and gave me a shot of antibiotics and sent me away with 2 prescriptions for more antibiotics. On day 5, yet another antibiotic and the swelling is starting to go down, but the redness is getting worse. I am seriously worried now.

Comment from: worried girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

My experience with cellulitis is that the onset is quite unexpected. My body will start to ache like with flu like symptoms; then I would start to get the cold chills; and then a very high temperature like 101 to 104 or more. My leg will then start to swell and get very hot; and then red blotches would form through my leg. The pain is almost unbearable.

Comment from: Joanne - Jarvis, 55-64 (Patient) Published: September 15

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider on my right ankle. I underwent vascular surgery and 6 months of VNA (visiting nurse association) nurses in my home, dressing the wound and administering treatment. One year went by and it is hardly bearable to put on foot wear. Within 3 months the wound opened up again and I had hospital wound care and started bandaging myself. Now, 3 years have passed and my foot is so swollen and painful and I know not what to do. Antibiotics did not work. I feel I need a drainage for cellulitis, yet the doctor only says that the necrotic wound is healing. He stated I only need regular bandages and off I go. I am up all night with shooting pain up my leg and it is so difficult to even rest my ankle on the bed to sleep. I am so weary of this painful and frightening experience. Even my friend's parents will not allow me in their pool and I am not contagious.

Comment from: Marie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I was diagnosed with cellulitis after the inner parts of both my shins showed extreme red patches. The doctor gave me a steroid cream plus an antibiotic to take for 10 days. I still feel pain in the left shin although all the redness is gone.

Comment from: chanaz, 35-44 (Patient) Published: May 14

The area of cellulitis infection was the left side of my belly button all the way to pelvic area and was spreading fast, moving to my back. It was the most awful pain I have experienced, hot, cold, high temperatures, had loss of appetite, dry mouth, and felt I was dying. I couldn't do anything and was rushed to Accident and Emergency. I was also nauseous and tired.

Comment from: jordanjunction@yahoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I started with a boil on my bottom. With medication it dried up and disappeared. Within a week I had a problem with my nose. During the previous two weeks I had a serious cold with a bad runny nose. The nose tip developed a rosy red color that would have made Santa proud. I hated it, plus it became so sore I couldn't touch it. The red spread down to my lip and up under my eyes. Then it stretched across my face so I looked like a raccoon in red. I spent 4 days in the hospital on 4 different antibiotics through the IV. The doctors called it a staph infection. That all cleared up after a matter of time. Now it's been close to a month past and I have a rash on both legs that has raised etching type lines. My daughter in law insisted it was ring worm. There are no rings. My doctor said it was cellulitis and I am now taking a prescription for it. I am losing feeling to my feet and have been told I drag my feet as I walk. I am diabetic and my sugars are running in the five hundreds. Since Christmas I have spent almost every day in bed sleeping. I am so lethargic I feel like I could stay in bed forever.

Comment from: Gailjlawrence, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had dental surgery in April and two months later I developed cellulitis in my mouth. My dental implant came out followed by lots of pus where the implant was. My dentist put me on an antibiotics, and it cleared up in a few days only to return two weeks later. I went to my doctor, who put me on an antibiotic injection and an oral antibiotic. It is very painful in your face.

Comment from: rav, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

My symptoms of cellulitis are swelling of foot, very high temperature, and red patch over foot. I suspect infection set within 24 hours of entry. Possible cause is infection through surgical wound in the leg (after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery), removal of saphenous vein in the leg, edema due to impaired evacuation of fluid in feet/leg due removal of vein, and diabetes. Treatment was IV antibiotics clindamycin (Dalacin) and paraffin wax liquid for applying externally. Duration was 1 week in hospital. As an outpatient I was put on Augmentin and later on penicillin 800 mg.

Comment from: Maurreen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had an operation to mend a prolapsed bowel. I have had a colostomy and urostomy since 1995. Since the operation, I have been back in hospital twice with cellulitis, it has now spread all over my abdomen. I cannot keep the colostomy bag on because of the weeping of the cellulitis, I put three lots of tape on the bag. Nothing I do will keep the bag from falling off. I am getting to the point that I have gone past depression and don't want to be here anymore.

Comment from: Heather, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I woke up one day with 3 small bumps in a row under my left nipple, at first they looked like pimples. They went from small to the largest being on the edge of the nipple. It was so painful to the touch and inflamed. It kept my nipple hard and swollen at all times. I tried everything from Epsom salts to triple antibiotic ointment, drawing salves, and hot baths and heating pads. I had some Bactrim DS 800/160 mg and took it for 3 days and I was still in pain and miserable, needless to say I felt totally drained. I finally said I can't handle this pain anymore. That night I went to the hospital my whole left breast was extremely red and inflamed. They prescribed me clindamycin 300 mg 3 times a day for 10 days and Lortab 7.5 for the pain and to help with the swelling. The strain of cellulitis that I contracted somehow was the staphylococcus version of it. I am now on my second day of antibiotics and it is helping a lot. I actually felt half human today rather than just constantly sleeping and crying. Hopefully this takes care of it but I am still following up with the breast specialist to be on the safe side.

Comment from: hardyparty, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 07

The cellulitis infection started with swollen foot, black spots on toes and then skin inflamed. Skin would just disappear and open wounds that would never heal. It was painful to walk or touch. I kept bandages on the foot with Bactrim. Three emergency room visits and numerous doctors and MRI, I was gout/diabetes negative. Finally I had cellulitis diagnosis. Steroids almost cleared it with heavy antibiotics but it is now getting worse and I'm back to the doctor for help. Cold and wet weather seems to make worse.

Comment from: Nawas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a cut in my left foot, not exactly sure how it had happened. As a moved to a hostel with this small cut and slightly swollen leg, my foot's condition just worsened day by day. Finally fifth day I went to a doctor where I was diagnosed with cellulitis and doubts about vasculitis. I returned to my native place to receive proper treatment. I was admitted for 15 days to receive proper antibiotics. This bacteria had already infected my left lung. The ulcer on my foot had blocked all the veins in my left foot. But what all the doctors were stunned in my case was with my age. I was just 18 when this happened to me. I'm 20 now and wonder whether I'm in risk of developing it again.

Comment from: llmc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My cellulitis started at my wrist. I had no wounds, at first I thought I had sprained it, did not know how; maybe in my sleep I bumped it? By the end of the day I could not use my hand or wrist, the pain was bad but aspirin seemed to make it not ache unless I tried to use my hand. The next day my hand was worse but I also had a cold. After three days of over the counter pain relievers, Aleve, Ibuprofen and aspirin, my cold was better but the pain in my wrist and now hand was constant and debilitating. I had no health insurance, was not working, so I kept thinking it would get better. My wrist after a day had a swollen spot on the inside. Slowly my fingers began to swell and then my whole hand and fingers swelled and were very painful and I could not move my fingers. After 9 days I could not stand the pain anymore, I went to the emergency room. I was admitted and given 2 kinds of IV antibiotics and morphine for the pain, I was there for 5 days. The swelling went down but it still hurt to use my hand and wrist. I was given a weeks' worth of antibiotics and took them like clockwork. Pain is still apparent when I use my wrist and or fingers, I have been out of the hospital for 10 days and I am starting another seven days of antibiotics (clindamycin) and today I am have large areas on my hand that the top layer of skin is blistered up and seems to want to slough off. I hope this is normal… we will see.

Comment from: mike d, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

The cellulitis infection started out as dry nasal passages, possibly a mild sinus infection on left side of nose on Wednesday. On Thursday morning the right side of my face was swollen and red. That night I went to the emergency room and $700 later the doctor said sinus infection. On Monday morning I got in to the primary care and was diagnosed with cellulitis and given amoxcillin. It has still not cleared up.

Comment from: AliKate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My cat bit me pretty badly while I was grooming her. She is an indoor cat and is up to date on her shots, so although I was bleeding a lot and it hurt, I just let it bleed a little, cleaned it up with peroxide and applied triple antibiotic ointment. The next morning my palm was swollen and I could hardly move my thumb. There was a red patch extending onto my wrist. I figured it was going to feel worse before it got better, but 4 hours later the red patch was a lot bigger and tapered off at the middle of the inside of my forearm, and then started following my vein in a straight line towards the inside of my elbow. It hurt to touch any part of the redness, like I was pressing on a bruise. It also felt warm to the touch and I had a slight fever. I went to the Emergency Room and found out it was cellulitis. They gave me two very strong antibiotics to take orally and said to take probiotics with them so they don't wreck my insides too much. I'm on the third day of antibiotics now. My arm still hurts where the redness was although it's no longer red, more of a light pink. I have a follow up doctor appointment today.

Comment from: Scab leg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a slight fever Thursday night and by Friday night I was delirious and my right leg was all red and swollen. I developed a fever of 105 and was delirious for three days. In the hospital where I woke up, I had a swollen blistered leg filled with water. I received 20 types of antibiotics in my neck for 9 more days. Then the blisters scabbed over and are still healing after 3 weeks. I have to keep the foot elevated and change the dressings daily. I must have had a foot sore that was unseen but no one found it. Cellulitis is quite painful and something I hope to never get again.

Comment from: Baconknightt, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I was 18 years old, and in the U.S. Marine Corps boot camp. Normally the drill instructors bemoan people who go to sick call, as they see a few recruits who abuse the privilege. So, I avoided going for little aches and pains. During the field training, I thought I bent my middle finger. It was starting to hurt, swell up, and became almost impossible to bear. After three days of trying to put up and tough it out, it wasn't working. I had mentioned it to one drill instructor who essentially told me to "go away" and quit complaining about small stuff. Two days after that, I was passing out and having blackouts with flashing white lights. I couldn't move fast, and I was in constant pain. Finally, I asked another drill instructor to see the corpsman. As soon as I described to him what was wrong, he rolled up my sleeve and looked at my hand. He pointed out the red lines that went all the way up to my armpit. At that point, he yelled at the series chief drill instructor what he saw. I didn't even know what cellulitis was. Immediately, I was thrown on a Humvee and taken to the battalion aid station at the main part of the camp. There, several corpsmen were being brought in to look -- one to get their opinion, and secondly, to show what a huge infection it was. The doctor told me as I was going into surgery that I may lose the finger. I didn't, but my use of the hand has been altered forever. I've since had three more surgeries on the hand to try and repair motion. That was 20 years ago. It still hurts to this day.

Comment from: michaelmc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I developed cellulitis in my left knee and there was no open wound anywhere around the infected area. After two days I could hardly walk.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I am going through the worst case of cellulitis that the doctors rate as bad as they have seen! My entire right foot and leg nearly up to my knee had horrendous growths, swollen 4 times original, and ended with various sizes of yellow and black lumps! I was on intravenous antibiotics for 2 weeks, and now continue daily oral tablet intake! I would never wish this on my worst enemies! Horrendous best describes it all!

Comment from: crystaltc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had MRSA in my lungs when I was in labor. After they treated it though I seem to get cellulitis often and I am about to go back to the hospital for it again. I had to have a bursectomy done because it was so bad in my knee that antibiotics wouldn"t treat it, and had a 2 week stay in the hospital when it got in my eye area and swelled them shut, which I fear is happening again. Fingers crossed that the doctor gives me oral antibiotics and my eyes don"t swell shut again. It's not an easy condition to deal with!

Comment from: janebaguette, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have lost count of my attacks of cellulitis. Since the age of 14, I developed a leg swelling problem which the doctors said was chronic, what followed was these attacks on one leg then the other. This would happen after a month or two. Now I know the symptoms and I always carry antibiotics in my bag. I am 30 years now and as I write this I have cellulitis on my left arm.

Comment from: jules1234, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was treated in the emergency room four weeks ago for cellulitis and given a pack of antibiotics. My legs were reduced in swelling redness and warmth in three days. I returned to my primary doctor seven days later and my symptoms were in only left leg. Once again I got a Z-pack and got better. Now for the last week my left leg is swollen, red-hot, and my knee is extremely swollen. When I stay in bed with legs elevated for 10-18 hours all is well.

Comment from: traillady1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I sometimes feel some pain where my big toe meets my foot due to previous surgery years ago. A few days ago, I fell. I noticed a couple of small bruises on my big toe. I thought nothing of it. When I went to bed that night, my entire toe was red, purple and black. I thought it might be a spider bite, then got online and realized it was probably not the case. I figured my toe was broken or jammed and went to the doctor. By then, my toe was bright red with black, and it was tender and warm to the touch. It had spread to about half my foot. X-rays were negative for a break or dislocation. The doctor diagnosed cellulitis and gave me a prescription for Keflex 500 mg, 3 times/day. By the next day, color was fading fast and the swelling had gone down. It continues to get better. I should have gone to the emergency instead of waiting!

Comment from: KTWPatient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I was born with Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber syndrome which basically means I have an abnormal vascular and lymph system. All of my life, I have had numerous bouts of cellulitis, for which I am hospitalized with intravenous antibiotics. Most times when I get it, I get a mild fever, feel extremely lethargic, and have a red spot on my leg or arm about the size of a quarter. Within a few hours or less, the infection typically spreads rapidly up and down the affected extremity. In the last month, I have been hospitalized twice with cellulitis. Sometimes I get back-to-back infections, but I can also go several months or even years without a recurring infection. My infections are the result of edema and my abnormal vascular and lymph system. Bacteria get in and just cannot "flush" out.

Comment from: Grammy1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I got cellulitis two months ago. Out of nowhere, I became chilled, my body ached, and I had a fever. I thought I was getting the flu but it happened so quickly. I went to bed and slept for 24 hours until my daughters said something must be wrong. They checked my legs and my left leg down by my ankle was red and warm to the touch. I was so out of it, I could barely walk and had severe pain in my leg. I went to the ER and was admitted to the hospital, where I received an IV with antibiotics. Within four days, my legs were red, swollen to the knee, with lots of blisters and pus pockets. Fortunately, I had a wonderful surgeon who intervened, took me to the OR and debrided my leg. He scraped all the blisters and pus pockets off, and cut two incisions in my leg to release the infection. I had it wrapped with gauze and an ace bandage. The dressing was changed every day. I was in the hospital for three weeks and was on two different antibiotics. It has been four weeks since I've been home. My leg is healing wonderfully. However, I wish I had gone directly to the ER when I started feeling ill. I may have saved myself from getting such a severe case of cellulitis.

Comment from: billybob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I have a red rash from cellulitis. It feels like a lot of pressure on my right leg.

Comment from: Gilda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

If you use, as a diabetic, mupirocin and the antibiotic cephalexin, cellulitis will disappear and I mean all of it. Keep this ointment or cream handy.

Comment from: gzhea42, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have cellulitis in my arms and this is the third break out in a month.

Comment from: Laverne, 65-74 (Patient) Published: January 03

I had cellulitis infection following colon resectioning in 2010. Now I have it again after a breast lumpectomy in October 2013.

Published: August 08

I believe in super-natural healing so going to doctors is rare for me. I had fever and swelling in my legs for longer than I even remember. A nurse friend told me I needed to go to a doctor; I went, two years and 3 months ago. I was given antibiotics which seemed to dry up the infection and turn my legs into elephant legs. Two months ago I went back to the doctor I was given 2 antibiotics but it didn't help. I was given wound gel I think it's helping but I'm also praying. I want and need a miracle!!! I'm claiming it and when it's manifested I'll write all about it. I'm in severe pain right now. I've taken Extra strength Excedrin and Aleve but it still hurts.

Comment from: marianne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I Want To Die! I can't stand the PAIN the itchiness. Nothing has helped, I have been to the er 5 times in 3 months. I do have eczema and psoriasis. I have thyroid problems, I have diabetes (or was told so). I can't take it. I was just in the ER and was on an IV for 1 day, they diagnosed me, but let me go due to no insurance! I have to use a walker, I feel like a recluse. I would never not take care of my self but because I am homeless and no job due to this ailment I get swept under a rug! I need help.

Comment from: justjen7504, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I was cleaning my basement after water had gotten in and I was wearing flip flops. The next morning I woke up and my left foot was red, swollen and hurt very bad to walk. I made an appointment and the Dr said it was cellulitis so I was put on oral meds for a week where it continued to get worse and much more painful, I wasn't responding to the meds so I was hospitalized for almost 2 weeks with IV meds. The cellulitis went halfway up my leg before it started to get better and finally went away. I was sent home for a month then the infection came back, I was hospitalized again and finally given another drug that worked well. Its been 5 years and I have not gotten it back however I get tingling, and sometimes itchy feelings once and awhile. I am careful to keep my feet clean and dry to prevent this from happening again.

Comment from: Paulina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

One morning, I stubbed my toe -- not very hard. I thought nothing of it, but 30 minutes later, my whole foot and ankle area had turned black and blue. Since I have diabetes, I know I have to take care of my feet. So the next morning I was off to the doctor. I was surprised when he prescribed antibiotics because I thought it was a bruise. I had never heard of cellulitis. The antibiotics cleared it up within a couple of days. I have good control of my diabetes, and I was a bit shocked to see how easily things could go wrong though.

Comment from: wiccancatlady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I've had cellulitis, before and was hospitalized. Now I have it again, but I've already had antibiotics for another infection, but my leg is swollen,red, and itches really bad, and I feel like little like blisters on the red area.

Comment from: Gary, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I've had cellulitis twice now in the past 10 years, with the latest being four months ago. I had an ear infection that just got worse after seeing the doctor and taking medication. My ear swelled up like a cauliflower and was on antibiotics in the hospital. Luckily, I demanded to see another doctor, who changed my antibiotics and gave me morphine to handle the pain and put a wick in my ear to get in some ointment. I was in the hospital for four days and a week off work.

Comment from: Helen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I started with a sore leg over five weeks ago. It wasn't too bad to begin with and I figured it was related to my fibromyalgia. But it began to get red, hot and swollen, and the pain got worse. I was scared it might be deep venous thrombosis (DVT). My doctor saw me and diagnosed cellulitis. I was given two different antibiotics to take over two weeks. I saw the GP again on the last day of the medication, and although it had faded a lot it hadn't gone away. The doctor said I didn't need any more medications and it would continue to heal. Within two days it was back and worse than before. I am now on another week of pills and have a fever, chills, a headache, and feel dreadful. Paracetamol works for my fever and headache, but both return once it wears off. I'm hoping this is the final week and it will be gone for good.

Comment from: GROUCHY...., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Having this infection has been horrible. It started in my ankles and was bright red on both legs. It then proceeded to move up my legs and swell profusely at the same time. It has now spread and swollen to the top of my legs. It is very painful and sore. I went to a hospital with this over six weeks ago, but was sent home, none the wiser, and without antibiotics or pain relief. Hopefully, I can get the right treatment now that it has finally been diagnosed. I'm thankful for a doctor who takes the time to care.

Comment from: C.M., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had facial cellulitis and was admitted to the hospital. My symptoms were on my forehead: redness, swelling, tenderness, and very swollen glands. They immediately put me onto an IV and gave me antibiotics. I was given a CT scan of the brain, as this could have spread to it. Also lung X-rays. I received lots of blood work, and a blood culture. I have never had anything like this before. I am now at home and taking oral antibiotics. Slowly, the redness and swelling are going away. Now I have intense itching.

Comment from: Teacher2012, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

While I was at work, I noticed my left foot felt tight. I dismissed it. On Saturday, I woke up with a swollen foot. I could not put my foot on the floor to walk. All day Saturday and Sunday I put hot and cold on the foot: to no avail. On Monday, I was going to wrap the foot and go to work. I am a teacher, so I walk the halls all day from class to class. My husband ended up taking me to urgent care. The doctor told me I have cellulitis. I was given an injection and medication. He told me to stay home for three days. After six days, my foot is better, but I still have a small, sore spot. Hopefully, I'll get better.

Comment from: kaliraja, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

In 2009 I went into ER with red swollen painful leg and was told I had cellulitis. They put me on IV (strong antibiotics) and sent me home with 3 bottles of different antibiotics. Two months later I went into the hospital admitted by my doctor immediately with breathing problems. Have a lung disease not called Obliterative Bronchiolitis. Reaction to antibiotics damaged my lungs permanently. Now I am on CellCept for lungs but it has lowered my immune system. I've been on CellCept for about 4 months now. Got cellulitis several weeks ago, treated with antibiotics. Now I have it again on different part of my leg.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter