Patient Comments: Cellulitis - Causes

What was the cause of your cellulitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: dj, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

My cause was from an injury I received from sliding into second base in baseball, then I got cellulitis.

Comment from: Marinit3, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

A simple manicure was the cause of my cellulitis infection in my finger.

Comment from: mickey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had chronic diarrhea and nausea for 6 days which caused the hyponatremia.

Comment from: picker, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

I picked a piece of irritating skin off, by my ankle and up about 2 inches or so and this is the cause of my cellulitis. Lesson learned, don't be a picker of dry skin.

Comment from: RAy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

For over a year I have had repeated CBC (complete blood count) tests, including hematocrit test result at 0.381. It has varied over the past year along with other tests, and no one can figure it out. They just keep doing blood tests over and over again to see what is changing. My RBC is 4.27, hemoglobin 125, and hematocrit 0.381. So far no diagnosis has been figured out. I am still waiting for someone to figure it out.

Comment from: TM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I originally had to get a spinal tap in the emergency room for suspicion of an aneurysm. It was unsuccessful as they weren't able to get any fluid. About 30 minutes later I was sent to radiology where it was successful. For the next 3 days I had extreme pain in my back. On day 3 I started experiencing extreme pain in my neck that radiated upwards into my head. I am experiencing somewhat of a headache but it's the neck pain that's the worse. It feels like a super bad case of whiplash. Nobody told me about this possibility. I'm glad all of my tests were negative but I wish the neck pain would subside so that I can do the simple things like get dressed. Well that's my story and thanks for listening.

Comment from: Mum, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

Chicken pox infection was the cause of my cellulitis.

Comment from: Grabcia, 19-24 (Patient) Published: January 12

My cause of cellulitis was my open wound. Then my boyfriend's semen went in my foot, so my foot was aching since then. I went to the doctor and asked what I had because my foot was aching so much, by then about a week it was painful. The doctor said it was cellulitis.

Comment from: moomoo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

My cellulitis started with a loose tooth, and my gums were infected within hours. I was prescribed oral penicillin, left side cheek became hard and there were hard lumps at the side of my nose and under the eye. After 2 days doctor sent me to the hospital, and diagnosed it as cellulitis. I was given antibiotics through IV, 3 doses a day for 5 days. Although most of it has gone I still have the lump at the side of my nose, have to see my doctor today and find out if I need more doses of antibiotic or can take pills.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

Bee sting on top of my foot lead to symptoms of cellulitis within 30 minutes.

Comment from: Caggoline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I developed a large blister on my foot around the big toe. I did not have a plaster with me and continued to walk. This developed into a cellulitis infection. My leg looked normal but I was feverish within 24 hours, and 48 hours later I had a large circular area of raised red skin on my thigh. I went to hospital and was put on a drip with antibiotics and then had a double dose of antibiotics for a week. I felt very unwell. A week later I was much better and the red area disappeared. Now, 6 months later every now and again I feel like someone is squeezing my thigh and it hurts, especially in cold weather.

Comment from: mb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I had gall bladder surgery (laparoscopic) and developed a staph infection that stayed with me now 20 years. All I have to do is bump myself and get a bruise and I will get cellulitis.

Comment from: taylormom1982, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I keep having cellulitis outbreaks on my abdomen area. It started in Jan 2013 and I ended up in the hospital where they had to cut me open to drain the infection. Last year I spent most of the year with a PICC line and being on IV antibiotics. Then in March I had bariatric surgery. I had been fine with no outbreaks until this past week. Doctors can't tell me why this keeps happening.

Comment from: tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I was working on a building site and scratched my lower leg. It was a small scratch but didn't heal quickly. I work outside and get many scratches and scrapes and cuts, usually just let them heal. One morning I went to site, felt very sore on inside of leg (from ankle through groin, following main veins up leg). It was very painful, I could hardly walk with pain in groin. I had no energy, I felt hot and cold and developed wicked shakes very quickly (within hour). My leg still looked normal at this point but had redness up path of veins in inner leg. I went to hospital, diagnosed with cellulitis admitted straight away and told that I wasn't going anywhere for a couple of days at least. Intravenous antibiotics were given straight away. Next day my leg was huge, from ankle to groin, lower leg very red, hot, very painful, and felt like sunburn on outside. I was in hospital for 5 days but was keen to get out to go back to work; big mistake. I was given oral antibiotics but spent too much time on my leg, should have been elevated above heart. Five days later I was back in hospital with same symptoms. Make sure you get yourself cured before leaving hospital. It is a very painful and protracted experience. I will be in hospital for another week.

Comment from: mart, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had blepharoplasty on my upper eyelids, and after only a day or two my one eye was red and swollen. My ophthalmologist did not think it was anything major, and never offered to see me. By Monday, my eye was so bad, that he did not want to see me, and said to go to the emergency room. I was admitted to the hospital and put on a heavy dose of intravenous antibiotics, and was able to go home the next day, but had to take oral antibiotics for 2 weeks. I am very healthy, and was not happy with my treatment by the ophthalmologist, but my infection doctor was wonderful. I had never heard of this cellulitis, so I was so unprepared for it.

Comment from: Yearly sufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

This is the umpteenth time I've had cellulitis in the exact same place. Doctor said it's from wearing the wrong kind of bra. But I noticed this time that the husband and I had sex a few days before and had bitten me in that area and while I didn't think he had broken the skin, I'm pretty sure now that he had accidentally. People's mouths are pretty germy. A cyst occurred first, then bacterial infection. Waiting to see the doctor it rapidly spread, and I now have cellulitis all around it. I always end up with surgery two times for this. Once in office to lance and pack, which never heals and a return visit brings me to day surgery at the hospital. The doctor has told me to quit smoking to promote healing of the site and I will till this goes away.

Comment from: Max, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I felt a slight burning sensation at the top of my foot. This erupted into the foot swelling, very painful, warm and red. Saw doctor who prescribed 500mg flucloxacillin four times a day. After a few days I was still no better. I went to the hospital where they diagnosed cellulitis. They prescribed same antibiotic 4 times 1000mg for 5 days. Fifth day it's still not cured and swollen but it does seem a bit better. Cellulitis seems to have happened because of my athlete's foot.

Comment from: Damien, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I struck the bottom of a door with my foot accidentally and got cellulitis.

Comment from: jolly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

After a chest drain for lung fluid, I developed cellulitis at the site. It was very hot and red. Five days of IV antibiotics have slightly helped, but the matter is still bad.

Comment from: Coolz5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am a postal worker, on my feet most of the day. An avid gardener, spend much of my off time outdoors in Vermont. Woke up one morning feeling off, severe body aches, slightly sick to my stomach. Went to work. Two hours later, chills, felt wiped out. Went home, back to bed to get rid of chills. High fever, 103.3 in afternoon. Headache. Couldn't be up for more then a few minutes. Figured I had flu. Felt better next morning. Then leg on side of shin started hurting. Thought it was my varicose veins. Started getting red and warm to touch. Hurt to walk. Thought it was blood clot. Went to doctor it was cellulitis. On antibiotic. Two days later, feeling better. Take it seriously. Get medical attention and do what they tell you to.

Comment from: kaluabeach, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

I was having pain, a lot of pain in my baby toe and behind it on my right foot, nothing was there two days later its red, more painful and itchy, I made an appointment, but my first mistake was I just should of went to the ER. I knew it was different, but was able to get a doctor's appointment. I found out it was cellulitis, I could kick myself for not responding sooner. Now that I know how dangerous it is, I am on antibiotics, I feel not good still, it's going to take time because I should have went the day before. I can't beat myself up, now I have this on top of other health problems, but this information is helping me to understand what is going on inside of me and more, thank you.

Comment from: Jenefa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am 72 years old. I had a biopsy done of an area on my lower left and right legs. Afterward, the doctor packed the areas with gauze and wrapped them with a "Coban" dressing (looks like an Ace bandage, but it adheres to itself). A week later, when the dressings were removed, the reddened skin and rash were visible. Since then, it has spread to my lower and upper arms, knees and upper legs. They put me on a cream (steroid) but the rash has remained itchy and raised.

Comment from: trubrit, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had a Hysterectomy late last year and within days I had brown discharge from the wound where I was cut and told not to worry it would go with a course of antibiotics. Well 8 weeks later I still have staples to be removed because my incision will not heal the brown discharge has changed to green not a little discharge but running green ooze, I was told three weeks ago I had an infection in the layer of fat tissue. Two emergency room visits later, with CTS showing pockets of infection, five courses of antibiotic later nothing has changed. I have seen the surgeon every week since the surgery where his lack of concern is apparent. I have chills, fevers, trouble breathing, pain, chest pain, I have lost over 35lbs, I have been to one of the largest hospitals in NW Ohio and do you think they care....no I have exhausted all my resources and efforts and I am left to rot from the inside out. If you question a conditions similar to the ones above do not delay get to medical attention, they may be able to save your life.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

Norm from PA, plumber, usually very healthy, after 3 days of work on my knees on a bathroom remodel on the fourth day knee began to hurt and swell as well as my shin area below went to doc on fifth day morning and went to the ER and was diagnosed with cellulitis started antibiotic Keflex with some improvement no more fever or chills now have more energy but knee still hurts now on home IV antibiotics for 2 days. To follow up with orthopedic doc in 3 days Hey tradesmen take care of your knees!

Comment from: Rayna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I work outdoors at a zoo and there is an issue with wasp infestation in the summer. I was at work and felt the sting on the back of my arm - I never saw the insect that got me but I had just been stung 7 days prior by a yellow jacket on my ankle and it felt identical to that. I am mildly allergic to wasp stings so I was not surprised when 6 hours later it was swollen, itchy, and red. I do remember a pus scab that formed directly over the sting which I thought was odd. The next morning it had swelled more around the site but not any worse than my previous stings. Throughout the day, the area became extremely hot to the touch, so hot that I could feel the heat on the surrounding areas of my arm. One side of the swelling stayed in the same place but the other side started spreading and began to wrap around my arm. The whole thing was red and there was an obvious edge to it. That night I was woken up by severe pain in my shoulder, elbow, and fingers. The next morning the swelling had moved 2-3 inches further down my arm and engulfed half of my elbow! That's when I went to the doctor and found out it was cellulitis.

Comment from: hollyblogg, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My mother-in-law is sedentary and either sits in a wheel chair or lays in bed at a nursing home. She recently found that her right arm and leg was swollen and hot, and red. They dignosed her with cellulitis and gave her antibiotics. She had no open wounds, but she does have psoriasis breakouts.

Comment from: bucktapejo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

It started when I was cleaning storage containers to move. They were kept in an enclosed porch which leaked and subsequently became extremely moldy. 2 days later, I was moving furniture and noticed my foot kept hurting more and more. I removed my sock and shoe, and my foot was double the size it should've been, red, hot, rashy looking and extremely painful. Went to ER, never diagnosed with any one condition. Given antibiotic and allergy meds. Went away after 10 days, but foot still hurts where I thought it started (assumed it was a spider bite) and afterwards it peeled like a sunburn.

Comment from: Linda Z, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

My husband has headache, vomiting and diarrhea. It has been 19 hours and his stomach pains are constant. I am not sure how he got the stomach flu.

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had cellulitis since August and we are now nearly into November. I have been twice been to have it looked at and all they can think of is a deep vein thrombosis. I am on warfarin, the pain is not in my leg it is at the top of my foot, the toes are red and the pain is just driving me crazy and it is also very swollen. It took one of my neighbors to mention cellulitis that a bell went off. It's been just about 11 weeks and I have no immune system, I also have lupus and I am also diabetic.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My cellulitis started as itchy eyes. I kept rubbing my eyes and within 3 days developed into cellulitis of both eyes. I went to the emergency room and they diagnosed with cellulitis of the eyes and treated with Keflex and prednisone; I was better within 5 days.

Comment from: headmasterritual, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My left foot was bitten by bed bugs I picked up working at a second hand clothing store, which caused cellulitis, and then following that I was diagnosed with a blood clot!

Comment from: sss, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a small zit that I popped and then became somewhat infected. Then it got hot and swollen and sore. I cleaned it and put a Band-aid on it and went to sleep. I woke up and could barely move my middle finger so I went to the doctor, where I was diagnosed with cellulitis. I'm on two antibiotics.

Comment from: Cellulitis-root cana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had my first & only root canal, went well, was actually painless. I woke up the next morning looking like a monster as that side of my face had blown up. I had cellulitis. Treatment was high dose of antibiotics. I think the dentist was afraid I was going to sue him as he kept calling to check up on me, had me for daily visits & x-rays. Thankfully it all subsided, but boy was it ever painful.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am a 48 year old women. I enjoy cleaning my flower beds and making them look nice. And, that is exactly what I was doing on Sunday evening. The next morning I woke up with a blister on my lip that appeared to look like a cold sore. I didn't pay much attention to it but by that evening my face had swollen and had lots of reddness and not so much pain as not being able to open my mouth to eat. My lips had gotten so swollen that I could barely eat. Just so that I don't make this story so. Next day went to the doctor I get meds and a steroid shot. Was told to return for an appointment in 2 days at that time I was worst and needed to be hospitalized. If you every experience anything like this take it serious.

Comment from: sherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I woke up two weeks ago with my left hand hurting. Later that afternoon, I couldn't use it. I went to the doctor the next morning and my hand was red, swollen, and very painful. The doctor said it was arthritis that had turned into cellulitis. I was given an antibiotic and Celebrex. It's been two weeks, and I'm just beginning to use it. It's still painful, and I can't bend or use my middle finger. Everyone says that arthritis doesn't cause this; it is very red and hot around that area.

Comment from: OUCloud, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

Mine was caused by a carbuncle on my leg. I had the thing for four months--it would drain, and a week late, return. I had it looked at a month ago and was on Bactrim, which kept making me sick. I treated it as I would any other boil/carbuncle and it just got worse. Finally, I had to go to the ER. They put me on Keflex: 4 times a day for 10 days.

Comment from: what is screen name, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 25

I had a pneumonia vaccine and developed a rash at the injection site.

Comment from: cellis44, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

I'm not really sure what caused my brother's cellulitis (he's 50 years old). First I was told that lack of circulation in his legs was the culprit (he has a spinal cord injury and is wheel chair bound). After numerous tests were done at the hospital, it was discovered that he had good circulation. After reading this website, I am now convinced that all of this began with a staph infection. He is in a nursing home and I was told by the hospital staff that a lot of staph infections are originated in nursing homes. The end result of several hospitalizations and numerous rounds of antibiotics was having his leg amputated, first a few inches above the foot and then a few inches above the knee. Don't let this infection get out of control. I thought the nursing home had everything under control. They obviously did not.

Comment from: kitkat529, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had emergency abdomin surgery in October 2011. I still have an open wound. I started getting cellulitis in March and the doctor has had me on cipro and flagyl everytime I get it. When it started I was getting cellulitis like every 6 to 8 weeks. Now it's to the point where I get it every 2 weeks or so.

Comment from: Birdman, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

Unsure what caused it, but both my arm pits are swollen and it feels like there's lumps under the skin. Also the glands around my neck are swollen. I have seen a doctor they said the glands around my neck are swollen because they are trying to fight the infection under my arm pits these glands are different from my armpit glands. I'm now taking staphyle x 500mg antibiotics. I was told do not touch or squeeze the arm pit as the infection and puss could spread into the blood stream. I put up with the swelling for 3 days before seeing a doctor thinking it would go away but it hasn't so I wish I went earlier was to worried about taking time off work rather than seeing a doctor, hopefully I will get better now.

Comment from: Nunyabizniz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

My two dogs got in a fight and I got in between them when I was scratched on the top of my foot. About 2 days later, I had swelling and a very hot feeling in my foot. I could not walk on it at all.

Comment from: grichardt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

July 15th 1984 at 2:30 in the afternoon, I was stung by red wasp on the lateral posterior aspect of my left lower extremity one inch above and behind the lateral malleolus. (I got stung above and behind my left ankle.) Pain and swelling of the entire ankle was almost immediate. Two days later, my ankle was still painful and I had developed red streaks running up 3/4 of my leg. I sought care at an urgent care center and was treated with antibiotics and a dose pack of steroids. I developed a hard painless 3/16th inch white cancer at the wound site and continued to have leg pain. Making weekly to bi-weekly visits to my primary care physician for f/u treatment over a 3 month period resulted in pain gradually extending up my leg to the knee. X-rays ruled out a spinal cause of my pain. By four months, I felt like I had a two inch wide scald from my left upper buttock to my left ankle. At that time, I read an article in Discover Magazine describing symptoms similar to mine that had a fungal origin. (Remember the dose pack and think super-infection.) At my request, my doctor prescribed a two week course of Nystatin, 4 grams daily by mouth in divided doses. I was in Heaven, pain free for the first time in many months. That is until the Rx ran out. In 3 days, the pain returned marching up my left leg to the spine, down my right leg to the knee and up both sides of my spine for eight inches. I was frantic and begged for and got an extended refill of the Nystatin which I ended up taking for two and a half years before my doctor refused to refill it. I never did return to the pain free days of my first Nystatin Rx and I still have a circulation problem in the initial affected area. The lesson I learned? If you need a systemic anti-fungal and the Rx is for less than six months for oral meds, you put yourself at risk for permanent injury. My leg hurts mildly as I type this. When things get bad, a course of Tegretol gives me some temporary relief from the neurogenic pain.

Comment from: Dalrene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I shaved my legs and the area on my lower leg I nicked when I shaved, it was fine at first then on the second day it hurt and finally on the fifth day it was so gross looking, red, pussy, and hurt so bad. I could not figure out why it hurt, went to the doctor and he said it was cellulitis. Put me on cephalexin and cream, this is the third day of antibiotic, pain has lessened but it still looks mean and nasty. I blame myself and swear I will never shave my legs again, no matter what, I am 53 who cares anyway.

Comment from: lorachjoy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

Second battle with cellulitis and both followed within two weeks of having a heart stent. It's the same hospital and I think I am getting it from the surgical suite at the hospital. It is painful. I had to have IV therapy last time but this time we are doing oral antibiotics. Of course, the cardiologist says just a coincident but I am certainly not convinced.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 29

I accidentally stepped on one of my cats while wearing shoes, her way of letting me know I really hurt her was to wrap both paws ,claws out, around my left ankle, scratching me in two places. One across my instep and the other, deep scratch right above my left ankle bone. Thinking no more of it, I washed it good, kept bleeding so I applied pressure until it stopped then poured Peroxide over it, dried it and put a big dollop of Polysporin ointment on it. This occurred on a Friday evening. By Saturday evening, the site was swollen, red, inflamed and quite painful to touch. I had a routine doctor's appointment that Monday, so I thought no harm in waiting. It was so painful, it hurt to even lay it on the bed at night. I showed the doctor on Monday, told him what had happened. The scratch itself was OK looking -- it was the swelling that came around to the inside of my foot and ankle and the soreness that concerned me. He said it wasn't infected. I asked him 3 times, if he was certain it wasn't infected ... he insisted it wasn't. By Wednesday of the same week, I was in agony, chilling, aching, pain so unbearable I couldn't sleep. So when I called the clinic again, my doctor couldn't see me that day, so I opted for a PA. He took one look at it, noticed I had been running a temperature, told me it was definitely infected. Which I had known all along and I'm not a doctor. Long story short, he started me on an injection of Rocephin and a 10 day supply of Augmentin 875. It seemed to respond OK to the therapy and within about 5 to 6 days, actually felt better. I finished the Augmentin and within 4 days the symptoms were back -- almost as though I had taken nothing. Due to my own ignorance and negligence I suppose, I asked him for another prescription of Augmentin. He prescribed Cipro 500 this time. May as well have taken nothing. So off I go finally to the hospital ER yesterday. The ER physician diagnosed it as Cellulitis with Staph infection. He gave me an injection of Rocephin and a 10 day supply of Doxycycline. I am instructed to return back to the ER tomorrow at 1 to see him ... if this hasn't improved and I don't think it has, he said he would have to admit me. Never would have thought things would get this bad.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: June 18

My cellulitis is in my right ear. It started with what felt like a bump in my right ear. By the next day I was having so much pain in my ear it was awful. It felt like it was swollen inside my ear. I went to the ER and they diagnosed it as swimmers ear, but after two days of treatment it wasn't better so I went to my primary doctor, who diagnosed it as cellulitus. I am not sure how I got it but I can say this it has been a terrible experience. I have felt like I was going to vomit. I have had a fever and just felt crappy. I am now four days into taking antibiotics and starting to feel a little better. I told the ER doctor that at first it felt like a sore in my ear that got worse I can't believe they misdiagnosed this if had not followed up with my doctor it could have been so much worse.

Comment from: mah1442, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had a shingles vaccine injection which turned into cellulitis the day after. By the second day I had a fever, chills, and the area of injection was swollen, red, warm, and painful. It never occured to me that an injection given in a doctor's office could have been a risk for cellulitis.

Comment from: zombie72, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

Suffered a severe ankle sprain and developed an edema which got infected and caused cellulitis in foot and shin of leg. Has ultrasound to rule out blood clot. Was given an antibiotic shot and prescribed bactrim and keflex for infection and percocet for pain. This is one of the most painful things I have ever experienced. Waiting to see how long it takes to heal.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 27

I developed cellulitis to my face in 2010.I literally woke up with my face and eyes had swollen very badly. My whole face was so sore to touch and my lymph nodes were enormous. When it was finally diagnosed I was admitted to hospital and put on a strong dose of intravenous antibiotics. I was doing very poorly. The only thing that I had at the time was MRSA contracted through my work place. I wasn't stung or bitten so I can't explain it.

Comment from: Guest, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My daughter was diagnosed yesterday with this and it was due to a vaccination she was given.

Comment from: farmgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I woke up one morning with my right nipple hurting. It had what I thought was dried blood on the end of it. After washing and further examination of it, it was not blood but the skin was black or dead on that part. The doctor did a biopsy and it can back as cellulitis. I had never heard of anything like this before.

Comment from: tiger lover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I was diagnosed with cellulitis in my right middle finger this morning. Swollen, red, throbbing, and warm. I had a paper cut and hangnail on that finger last night and didn't think much of it until I woke up this morning and the finger was very painful. I was only tender yesterday but not that swollen. Take care of your wounds and take medicine as directed.

Comment from: nailpolizqueen79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am 32 years old and I first found out I had cellulitis about 5-6 years ago. It started with what looked like a bad bite on my lower leg so I went to er and they didn't know what was wrong until finally someone told me what I had. They gave me sulfur drugs which I later found out I was allergic to. So since then I kept getting them, for a while it was frequently like once a week the eventually settled down to about every few months. I hate when they put drains in but I am grateful for all the help I have had it with this condition. Now I get it about twice every 2 months with some lasting less than a week to having to go the doctor for bigger ones. It's so frustrating but at least I have good doctors to help me.

Comment from: Cherbears, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I fell through a wooden window seat kneeling on it and it punctured right through my jeans. After a few days leg started getting red and swollen and pink. Went to Dr. who said I had cellulitis then gave me Keflex the antibiotic and had an x-ray to make sure the infection didn't go in the bone Osteomyelitis. My leg is still sore and swollen but not red so maybe the Dr. will give me antibiotics again tomorrow. I think it would have healed faster with IV antibiotics.

Comment from: chris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I worked in the backyard for 3 days, removing plants, potting some of them, got a few scratches on my arms and a bite from an insect, not sure if spider or mosquito. Developed persistent headache and fatigue for 2 days. 3rd day felt painful bump in back of my skull , like a cyst. Next day woke up and had swollen and painful area in front of left ear (pain opening my mouth), on left temple and half of forehead red and swollen, it is now spreading all over my forehead. Diagnosed with cellulitis and put on heavy antibiotics, no hospital yet (this is my 2nd day on antibiotics...). Also had fever over 101F,.

Comment from: jeanette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I recently had cellulitis of the nose, which I thought very unusual. I lasted approx 7 days with 5 of those in hospital with IV antibiotics. It started off with a sore spot on the top of my nose and then spread to the rest of the nose within 12 hrs, overnight. The next day my right eye was swollen and day after that the left eye. I looked like I had been in the boxing ring.

Comment from: prbyb, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I caught cellulitis from dirt on my face. I got it twice. Once from touching my face and another from sleeping on a dirty pillow.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter