Celiac disease is a condition in which a person has inflammation of the small intestinal mucosa when exposed to gluten in the diet. Symptoms of celiac disease include bloating, nausea, diarrhea, and abdominal discomfort. Treatment is a gluten free diet. Some individuals may have refractory celiac disease in which they do not respond to a gluten free diet. Read more: Celiac Disease Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Learn about symptoms, causes, and foods that trigger IBS. Get lifestyle tips for managing...
Celiac Disease: Symptoms, Gluten in Foods, Gluten Allergy Tests, and More
Do you suffer from celiac disease? Learn about diet, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments for this digestive disorder that occurs...
Celiac Disease Quiz: What Is Celiac Disease?
Could celiac disease be the cause of your tummy troubles? Take the Celiac Disease Quiz to learn what certain foods may be doing...
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Gluten-Free Diet: Popular Gluten-Free Foods in Pictures
Starting a gluten free diet? Get the facts about gluten free foods -- with tips on what to avoid, what to enjoy, and delicious,...
The Most Common Food Allergies for Kids and Adults
What common food allergens cause the most problems for adults and children? See this list of common food allergies and learn to...
Related Disease Conditions
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
Canker Sores (Causes, Home Remedies, Treatment, and Prevention)
Canker sores are a common complaint, and are small ulcers on the inside of the mouth. Canker sores aren't contagious (as opposed...
There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
Osteopenia is a bone condition characterized by bone loss that is not as severe as in osteoporosis. Bone fracture is the typical...
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE)
Systemic lupus erythematosus is a condition characterized by chronic inflammation of body tissues caused by autoimmune disease....
Pernicious anemia is a blood disorder in which the body does not make enough red blood cells due to a lack of vitamin B12 in the...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
The most common food allergies are to eggs, nuts, milk, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries and tomatoes. Symptoms and signs...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Treatment (PBC)
Primary biliary sclerosis (PBC) is thought to be an autoimmune disorder that involves the deterioration of the liver's small bile...
Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI)
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency or EPI is a condition in which a person's pancreas can't produce or secrete certain enzymes...
Celiac Disease - Symptoms
What symptoms have you experienced with celiac disease?Post View 50 Comments
Celiac Disease - Diagnosis
How was your case of celiac disease diagnosed?Post View 18 Comments
Celiac Disease - Treatment
What treatments have been effective for celiac disease?Post
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free Diet
What dietary changes have you made to treat celiac disease, and has a gluten free diet been effective and easy?Post
Celiac Disease - Other Conditions
Other diseases or conditions often accompany celiac disease. Please describe your experience.Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- Digestive Enzymes (Oral)
- cyclosporine - oral, Sandimmune
- vitamin k - oral, Mephyton
- vitamin K-1, phytonadione (Mephyton)
- cyanocobalamine (Nascobal, Vitamin B12, VitaMelts Energy Bitamin B-12)
- cyclosporine - intravenous, Sandimmune
- cyclosporine solution - oral, Sandimmune
- cyclosporine microemulsion capsule - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- cyclosporine microemulsion solution - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- cyanocobalamin - nasal, Nascobal
Prevention & Wellness
- Where There's Type 1 Diabetes, Celiac Disease May Follow
- Is Gluten-Free Such a Good Idea?
- Eating Gluten-Free Without a Medical Reason?
- A Surprising Culprit Behind Celiac Disease?
- FDA Approves 1st Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Risk Tests
- Study Links Celiac Disease, Anorexia
- Downside to Gluten-Free Diets: Diabetes Risk?
- Some Health Fads May Not Be All That Healthy
- Possible Drawback to Gluten-Free: Toxic Metals
- Study Ties Inflammation, Gut Bacteria to Type 1 Diabetes
- Health Tip: Managing Celiac Disease
- Early Introduction of Eggs, Peanuts May Cut Kids' Allergy Risk: Study
- What's Behind the Gluten-Free Trend?
- Number of Americans on Gluten-Free Diet Tripled in 5 Years
- Celiac Disease Risk May Be Tied to Time, Place of Birth
- Is Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity Real?
- Researchers Uncover Surprises About Celiac Disease
- Genetically Modified Crops Are Safe: Review
- More Gluten Before Age 2 Linked to Celiac Disease in At-Risk Kids
- Celiac Disease Doesn't Seem to Boost Dementia Risk: Study
- Health Tip: Make Good Gluten-Free Choices
- Almost 2 Million Boxes of Cheerios Recalled
- Study Links Early Infections to Celiac Risk
- Celiac Disease in Family May Up Your Risk for Related Disorders
- Probiotic Supplements May Contain Traces of Gluten
- Study Links Celiac Disease to Nerve Damage
- Growth Checks in Children Might Spot Celiac Disease
- Allergy Tests and Food Diets: What Parents Need To Know
- No Link Seen Between Celiac Disease, Infertility
- Gluten Isn't the Only Culprit in Celiac Disease, Study Says
- Infant's Early Diet Doesn't Change Celiac Disease Risk, Study Finds
- Gluten-Free Diet May Lift the 'Fog' of Celiac Patients, Study Says
- Raised Risk of Heart Trouble Seen in Celiac Disease Patients
- Quinoa May Be Safe Grain for People With Celiac Disease
- Gluten-Free Diet May Help Protect Bones in People With Celiac Disease
- Celiac Disease vs. 'Gluten-Sensitive'
- FDA Defines 'Gluten-Free' for Food Labels
- Is a Gluten-Free Diet Right for You?
- Gluten-Free and Worry-Free in Georgia
- Celiac Disease Shouldn't Keep Family From BBQ Fun: Experts
- Gluten Allergy May Play Role in Gastro Woes in Kids With Autism
- Good Diet Helps People Manage Celiac Disease
- Early Exposure to Gluten May Help Babies Avoid Celiac Risk: Study
- A Pill So People With Celiac Disease Can Eat Freely?
- Scientists Working Toward Pill for Celiac Disease
- Most Americans With Celiac Disease Don't Realize It: Study
- Most on Gluten-Free Diet Don't Have Celiac Disease
- Effects of High Blood Pressure Drug May Mimic Celiac Disease
- Health Tip: Avoiding Gluten
- Migraines More Likely for People With Celiac Disease, Study Says
- Diagnostic Scans Tied to Radiation Risk for Gastro Patients
- Health Tip: Celiac Disease May Trigger These Symptoms
- Gluten Sensitivity: Fact or Fad?
- Celiac Disease in Women Linked to Depression Risk
- Some 'Gluten-Free' Beers Really Aren't: Study
- Gluten in Cosmetics Threaten Those With Celiac Disease
- More People May Benefit From Going Gluten-Free
- New Treatment for Celiac Disease?
- Celiac, Crohn's Disease Share Common Genetic Links
- 'Autism Diet' May Not Improve Symptoms
- Lactose Intolerance: Too Little Is Known
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter