Celiac disease is a condition in which a person has inflammation of the small intestinal mucosa when exposed to gluten in the diet. Symptoms of celiac disease include bloating, nausea, diarrhea, and abdominal discomfort. Treatment is a gluten free diet. Some individuals may have refractory celiac disease in which they do not respond to a gluten free diet.Read more: Celiac Disease Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Celiac Disease Quiz: What Is Celiac Disease?
Could celiac disease be the cause of your tummy troubles? Take the Celiac Disease Quiz to learn what certain foods may be doing...
Type 1 Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What are the causes of type 1 diabetes? Take this quiz and challenge your knowledge of causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatments...
Liver Disease Quiz: Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis & Symptoms
What is liver disease? Take the Liver Disease Quiz and test your knowledge about this organ and its function....
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Picture of Thyroid
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the front of the neck just below the Adams apple. See a picture of the Thyroid...
Gluten-Free Diet: Popular Gluten-Free Foods in Pictures
Starting a gluten free diet? Get the facts about gluten free foods -- with tips on what to avoid, what to enjoy, and delicious,...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
Thyroid Problems Explained
Learn about thyroid problems such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, and more. Discover symptoms and treatments...
The Most Common Food Allergies for Kids and Adults
What common food allergens cause the most problems for adults and children? See this list of common food allergies and learn to...
How to Get Rid of Nausea and Vomiting
What is nausea? Do you want to know how to get rid of nausea and how to stop vomiting? Learn home remedies for nausea,...
Celiac Disease: Symptoms, Gluten in Foods, Gluten Allergy Tests, and More
Do you suffer from celiac disease? Learn about diet, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments for this digestive disorder that occurs...
Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More
Upset stomach? Some foods may be the culprits, and bad habits may be to blame. Treat your body right with these simple nutrition...
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Related Disease Conditions
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Gas (intestinal gas) means different things to different people. Everyone has gas and eliminates it by belching, burping, or...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Microscopic Colitis (Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis)
Microscopic colitis (lymphocytic colitis and collagenous colitis) is a disease of inflammation of the colon. Microscopic colitis...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
The most common food allergies are to eggs, nuts, milk, peanuts, fish, shellfish, strawberries and tomatoes. Symptoms and signs...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Stool Color, Changes in Color, Texture, and Form
Stool color changes can very from green, red, maroon, yellow, white, or black. Causes of changes of stool color can range from...
There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Liver Disease Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, and Life Expectancy
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases, for example, gallstones, high...
Osteopenia is a bone condition characterized by bone loss that is not as severe as in osteoporosis. Bone fracture is the typical...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Why Am I So Bloated and Gassy?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Liver Disease FAQs
- Celiac Disease Celiac Sprue FAQs
- Type 1 Diabetes FAQs
- Digestive Disease Myths
- Doctors Answer Digestion Questions
- Does Celiac Disease Cause Diabetes?
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- Stool Color Change Causes
- Does Vitamin D Deficiency Cause Symptoms?
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
Medications & Supplements
- azathioprine (Azasan)
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- cyanocobalamine (Nascobal, Vitamin B12, VitaMelts Energy Bitamin B-12)
- cyclosporine microemulsion solution - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- cyclosporine microemulsion capsule - oral, Gengraf, Neoral
- cyclosporine solution - oral, Sandimmune
- vitamin K-1, phytonadione (Mephyton)
- vitamin k - oral, Mephyton
- cyclosporine - intravenous, Sandimmune
- cyclosporine - oral, Sandimmune
- Digestive Enzymes Supplements
- cyanocobalamin - nasal, Nascobal
Prevention & Wellness
- Cereals Recalled Due to Undeclared Gluten
- Dining Out With Allergies Is Tough, But These Steps Can Help
- Goodbye 'Gluten-Free'? Celiac Disease Vaccine May Make It Possible
- Gluten-Free Craze a 'Double-Edged Sword' for Celiac Patients
- One-Third of 'Gluten-Free' Restaurant Foods in U.S. Are Not: Study
- Mom-to-Be's High-Gluten Diet Linked to Type 1 Diabetes in Baby
- Gluten-Free Kids' Foods Fall Short on Nutrition
- Health Tip: Avoiding Gluten in Medication
- Health Tip: Going Gluten-Free?
- Where There's Type 1 Diabetes, Celiac Disease May Follow
- Is Gluten-Free Such a Good Idea?
- Eating Gluten-Free Without a Medical Reason?
- A Surprising Culprit Behind Celiac Disease?
- FDA Approves 1st Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Risk Tests
- Study Links Celiac Disease, Anorexia
- Downside to Gluten-Free Diets: Diabetes Risk?
- Some Health Fads May Not Be All That Healthy
- Possible Drawback to Gluten-Free: Toxic Metals
- Study Ties Inflammation, Gut Bacteria to Type 1 Diabetes
- Health Tip: Managing Celiac Disease
- Early Introduction of Eggs, Peanuts May Cut Kids' Allergy Risk: Study
- What's Behind the Gluten-Free Trend?
- Number of Americans on Gluten-Free Diet Tripled in 5 Years
- Celiac Disease Risk May Be Tied to Time, Place of Birth
- Is Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity Real?
- Researchers Uncover Surprises About Celiac Disease
- Genetically Modified Crops Are Safe: Review
- More Gluten Before Age 2 Linked to Celiac Disease in At-Risk Kids
- Celiac Disease Doesn't Seem to Boost Dementia Risk: Study
- Health Tip: Make Good Gluten-Free Choices
- Almost 2 Million Boxes of Cheerios Recalled
- Study Links Early Infections to Celiac Risk
- Celiac Disease in Family May Up Your Risk for Related Disorders
- Probiotic Supplements May Contain Traces of Gluten
- Study Links Celiac Disease to Nerve Damage
- Growth Checks in Children Might Spot Celiac Disease
- Allergy Tests and Food Diets: What Parents Need To Know
- No Link Seen Between Celiac Disease, Infertility
- Gluten Isn't the Only Culprit in Celiac Disease, Study Says
- Infant's Early Diet Doesn't Change Celiac Disease Risk, Study Finds
- Gluten-Free Diet May Lift the 'Fog' of Celiac Patients, Study Says
- Raised Risk of Heart Trouble Seen in Celiac Disease Patients
- Quinoa May Be Safe Grain for People With Celiac Disease
- Gluten-Free Diet May Help Protect Bones in People With Celiac Disease
- Celiac Disease vs. 'Gluten-Sensitive'
- FDA Defines 'Gluten-Free' for Food Labels
- Is a Gluten-Free Diet Right for You?
- Gluten-Free and Worry-Free in Georgia
- Celiac Disease Shouldn't Keep Family From BBQ Fun: Experts
- Gluten Allergy May Play Role in Gastro Woes in Kids With Autism
- Good Diet Helps People Manage Celiac Disease
- Early Exposure to Gluten May Help Babies Avoid Celiac Risk: Study
- A Pill So People With Celiac Disease Can Eat Freely?
- Scientists Working Toward Pill for Celiac Disease
- Most Americans With Celiac Disease Don't Realize It: Study
- Most on Gluten-Free Diet Don't Have Celiac Disease
- Effects of High Blood Pressure Drug May Mimic Celiac Disease
- Health Tip: Avoiding Gluten
- Migraines More Likely for People With Celiac Disease, Study Says
- Diagnostic Scans Tied to Radiation Risk for Gastro Patients
- Health Tip: Celiac Disease May Trigger These Symptoms
- Gluten Sensitivity: Fact or Fad?
- Celiac Disease in Women Linked to Depression Risk
- Some 'Gluten-Free' Beers Really Aren't: Study
- Gluten in Cosmetics Threaten Those With Celiac Disease
- More People May Benefit From Going Gluten-Free
- New Treatment for Celiac Disease?
- Celiac, Crohn's Disease Share Common Genetic Links
- 'Autism Diet' May Not Improve Symptoms
- Lactose Intolerance: Too Little Is Known