Learn more about cavities including symptoms, treatment, and prevention. See how tooth decay, plaque, and bacteria contribute to the creation of cavities and how regular brushing and flossing can help prevent dental caries. Read more: Cavities Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Dental (Oral) Health Quiz: Test Your Dental Hygiene IQ
Take the Dental Health Quiz to test your IQ of oral hygiene, cavities, and common tongue and gum diseases. This quiz covers...
Picture of Composite Fillings
Existing fillings sometimes need to be replaced due to wear, chipping, or cracking. See a picture of Composite Fillings and learn...
Picture of Teeth
The teeth are the hardest substances in the human body. See a picture of the Teeth and learn more about the health topic....
Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth
Explore which dental habits are terrible for your teeth. Is chewing ice bad for your teeth? How do you avoid rotten teeth? Learn...
Related Disease Conditions
Gum disease is caused by plaque and may result in tooth loss without proper treatment. Symptoms and signs of gum disease...
Pycnodysostosis (pyknodysostosis) is an inherited disease of the bone. Characteristics of individuals with pycnodysostosis are:...
Sjögren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease involving the abnormal production of extra antibodies that attack the glands and...
A toothache is a pain on or around a tooth. It may be caused by a variety of things from a cavity, abscess, or even sinusitis....
Bad breath can result from poor oral hygiene habits and may be a sign of other health problems. Bad breath, also called...
Dental injuries range from a chipped or fractured tooth to a knocked out tooth. Treatment depends upon the severity of the dental...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Men's health is an important component to a happy lifestyle and healthy relationships. Eating healthy, exercise, managing stress,...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Cocaine and Crack Abuse
Cocaine is an addictive stimulant that is smoked, snorted, and injected. Crack is cocaine that comes in a rock crystal that is...
An abscessed tooth is an infection within a tooth that has spread to the root. Symptoms of an abscessed tooth may include pain,...
Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
Dry mouth is a common side effect of many prescription and non-prescription drugs and certain medical conditions. Symptoms of dry...
Oral Health Problems in Children
Oral health problems in children include thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, lip sucking, tooth decay, and early tooth loss. Get...
Cleft Palate and Cleft Lip
Cleft palate and cleft lip are facial and oral defects that occur early in pregnancy. A cleft lip is a split of the two sides of...
Mercury is a naturally occurring element found in water, soil, and the air. Mercury also is contained in some fish, some of the...
Teething in babies typically starts between 4 and 10 months of age. Symptoms and signs of cutting teeth include rash, drooling,...
Chewing Tobacco (Smokeless Tobacco, Snuff)
Chewing tobacco (snuff or smokeless tobacco) has more nicotine absorbed into the system than by smoking a cigarette. Chewing...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Protect Your Teeth: 19 Bad Dental Habits to Avoid
Bad dental habits can wreck your teeth. Teeth grinding, chewing on ice, playing sports without a mouthguard, and eating and...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- tetracycline (Sumycin [Discontinued])
- chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinse (Peridex, Periogard, Periochip)
- cocaine hydrochloride
- sodium fluoride 1.1% toothpaste - dental
- multivitamins/iron/fluoride chewable tablet - oral
- lidocaine injection (Xylocaine)
- stannous fluoride 0.63% oral care rinse - dental, Gel-Kam
- sodium fluoride 0.2% rinse - dental, Nafrinse, Prevident
- multivitamins/fluoride drops - oral
- sodium fluoride 0.02% rinse - dental, Phos-Flur
- sodium fluoride - oral, Fluor-A-Day, Karidium, Luride
- sodium fluoride 1.1% dental gel - topical, Karidium, Karigel, Prevident
- multivitamins/fluoride chewable tablet - oral
- stannous fluoride gel - dental, Flo-Gel, Gel-Kam
- sodium fluoride gel - dental
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Kick Your Sugary Drink Habit
- Health Tip: Attacked by Plaque
- Do Early Dental Visits Really Prevent Kids' Cavities?
- Health Tip: Talk to the Dentist About a Sealant
- Can Teeth Repair Themselves Without Fillings?
- Health Tip: Chewing Sugarless Gum
- More Low-Income Kids Need Dental Sealants: CDC
- Health Tip: Why Floss?
- Health Tip: Sealing Teeth to Help Prevent Cavities
- Health Tip: Selecting a Sleep Mask
- Caring for Baby's Teeth Starts Before Birth
- Is Seniors' Dental Health Tied to Mental Health?
- Kids' Fruit Drinks, Juices Contain Day's Worth of Sugar
- A Pill to Ward Off Cavities? Scientists Say It Could Happen
- Talk Therapy to Tackle Fear of the Dentist
- Dentistry Without the Drill? New Study Offers Hope
- Sugar-Free Sodas, Candy Can Still Damage Your Teeth
- Secondhand Smoke in Infancy May Harm Kids' Teeth
- Health Tip: Moistening a Dry Mouth
- More Cavities Seen in Kids of Chronically Stressed Mothers
- Health Tip: Pregnancy Affects Dental Health
- Health Tip: Chewing Gum Can Help Your Teeth
- Back-to-School Tips for Healthy Teeth
- Health Tip: Diet Affects Your Dental Health
- What Parents Can Do to Promote Good Dental Health
- Health Tip: Diabetes Can Take a Toll on Teeth and Mouth
- Health Tip: Five Steps to Prevent Cavities in Kids
- Beavers Offer Tips on Cavity Prevention
- Dentists Offer Tips to Keep Young Children Cavity-Free
- Health Tip: Chewing Sugar-Free Gum
- Health Tip: Get the Facts About Gum Disease
- EPA Wants Less Dental Mercury Entering Environment
- Oral Health in Women of Childbearing Age Needs Improvement
- Family Troubles Tied to Poorer Dental Health, Study Discovers
- Pediatricians Offer New Dental Recommendations
- Doctors Should Give Toddlers Fluoride Treatments: U.S. Task Force
- Lab-Grown Vaginas, Noses Herald New Options for Patients
- Dentists' Group Expands Recommended Use of Fluoride Toothpaste for Kids
- Fluoride Treatments May Help Fight Cavities
- Health Tip: Prepare for Your Child's First Dental Visit
- Halloween Treats Can Spook Kids' Teeth
- Dental Care Safe for Pregnant Women: Experts
- 4 Billion People Worldwide Have Untreated Cavities: Study
- Primary Care Docs Should Play Role in Kids' Dental Health, Experts Say
- Health Tip: Promote Healthy Teeth
- Study Supports Link Between Obesity, Cavities in Homeless Kids
- Health Tip: If Your Teeth Are Sensitive
- Dental Woes Abound for Developmentally Disabled: Study
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Baby Bottle Tooth Decay
- Too Much Bottled Water Might Harm Kids' Teeth
- Cost, Not Fear, Keeps More People From Dentist
- Dental Fillings Linked to Slight Behavior Problems
- Racial Gap in Kids' Dental Care Vanishing: Study
- Missing Teeth, Cavities Common in U.S.
- Tiny Tots in the Dentist's Chair Among Changes in Pediatric Dentistry
- From One Generation to the Next, Dental Care Changes
- Energy and Sports Drinks Eat Away at Teeth, Study Finds
- Dental X-rays Linked to Brain Tumors
- Health Tip: Protect Your Kids' Teeth From Cavities
- Quitting Smoking May Halve Risk of Oral Health Problems
- Licorice Root May Cut Cavities, Gum Disease
- Health Tip: Protect Teeth From Decay
- Chew on This: Gum May Prevent Ear Infections
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter