Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Side Effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

Comment from: Hoping for Change, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had what was called an early cataract surgery on my right eye on March 8, 2017. There were two weeks between surgeries. After the first surgery I had horrible nausea the entire time, dizziness, inability to focus, could not drive, or work. In order to see at all I had to close the new 'good eye' put on my glasses and see out of just the 'bad eye', my left. I felt my brain was not at all functioning or integrating this surgery. I was told, 'don't worry, after the 2nd surgery it will be fine.' At first I was told there are virtually no side effects to cataract surgery. I had known many people (mostly older people) who had cataract surgery with no issues. After the 2nd surgery I was hopeful that I would have no further issues. That is unfortunately not how things have gone. It is now 6 months since the first surgery and 5 months and 2 weeks since the second surgery and I am worse. My brain fog is really bad. I have trouble concentrating and with word retrieval. The right eye seems fine. The left side of my face feels like it is weak and falling although it doesn't appear to be problematic. I feel a fullness in my entire left side of face and ear. I feel unwell virtually all of the time. The brain fog and fullness in my face have absolutely only been since the surgery. I have been told by the person who did the surgery that everything is fine, that there is nothing wrong with me. I have gone to a neurologist, had MRI to rule out stroke and brain tumor (supposedly normal), have been to healers, chiropractors, body workers, and cranial sacral practitioners, with no help for this situation. I feel this was malpractice at this point. I was not properly informed of the potential risks to this surgery, and was told I would never need glasses again, which is also not true. I have spent over USD 10K on the surgery and the follow up trying to get help to no avail. I can't find anything on the internet that shows similar symptoms.

Comment from: darkstar, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 31

I had cataract surgery on my right eye about a month ago, I can just about read without glasses and without astigmatism correction. About 3 days ago I had the left eye done, and the lens looks frosted. I can barely count fingers held at arm's length. I am looking for others with same experience to figure out the prognosis.

Comment from: olemagic, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I had cataract surgery 8 months ago, and I regret ever having it done. My vision is worse than ever. I have blurry and double vision and can hardly see up close at all. If you are thinking about having this surgery, think hard and do your homework. If I had known then what I know now I would have never had it done.

Comment from: jan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was told that I had cataracts for many years. I finally decided to have the surgery first on the right and then on the left. Surgery went well except for a visual anomaly that no one knows anything about. I have many small dots in my vision when I look at the sky or any light colored flat surface. It is not floaters. Some of the spots look like tiny bubbles or circles. Some look like grey dots. They look like a pattern, not random like floaters. They are very distracting and cannot be explained. Also, my left eye is achy and dry. I didn't really have a problem with my vision before surgery, just did it thinking I would see better. I don't really see better and wish I had not done it.

Comment from: bp, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 04

I slipped on wet floor, did an overextended split, and pulled my hamstring. I have had severe cramping off and on since.

Comment from: Kalawati, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had cataract operation in both my eyes. My left eye is ok but right eye from day one is paining. The doctor prescribed drops and tablets but after two month since operation I am still suffering severe pain in and around the eye.

Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your cataract surgery.