Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your cataract surgery.

Comment from: Lalinezz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had cataract surgery on both eyes two weeks apart in October 2016. The procedures went well and my vision is excellent in both eyes. I had no complications, but have developed 'flashing' in both eyes, especially the left. I have been back to the surgeon twice, my eye doctor twice, a different eye doctor once and recently an ocular neurologist. All agree my eyes look great, IOLs (intraocular lenses) look wonderful, and optic nerve healthy. The ocular neurologist thought dry eyes might be hindering the sealing around the IOL, so blocked my tear ducts and said to use lubricant eye drops. So far, no improvements. I've started wearing sunglasses indoors and outdoors which does help the flashing. I've had three episodes of ocular migraines, which involved a blurry, spinning effect in both eyes, I could still see, but barely, no pain.

Comment from: James , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I am three months post-surgery for cataract and wish I had not had the surgery. I had toric lenses in both eyes due to astigmatism. I have decent distant vision only, with no mid or close. I require reading glasses to even turn the stove on or see TV remote. I can't read the dashboard of the car. I am extreme sensitivity to light, especially fluorescents. I barely passed eye exam for driver's license which makes me believe my eyes are not what the doctor tells me. My eyes are itchy and red all the time. I find looking at the manufacturer's website an information packet I should have been given; would have changed my mind about the surgery if seen before. I am miserable.

Comment from: Michelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I had cataract surgery in April (over 3 months ago) and floaters removed. The day after surgery I couldn't see anything and was completely blind in that eye. The surgeon told me that it was because I had swelling on the cornea because I have Fuchs uveitis. He put me on cortisone drops. A few weeks after the surgery they discovered that the lens was not focusing in the correct place and did another surgery to replace the lens. I still could not see anything and he continued with the cortisone drops. Then he said the swelling had gone down but I still have a blind patch in the middle of my eye which is not improving at all. So effectively I can't see out of that eye at all. I don't know if this will ever improve or I need to go to a different surgeon.

Comment from: Been there, done tha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had cataract surgery on my right eye in April 2016 and on my left eye in September 2016. It takes about a whole year for each eye to get back to normal. At times it seemed like each eye changed daily. Dry eyes, halos, itching, blurriness, burning, unable to focus, all are part of the healing process. Doctors tell you that you'll be back to normal in a few days; nope, it'll take a good 10 to 12 months. But then here's the kicker: a new second cataract will form on your eye at some point and you'll need a non-surgical, laser-type procedure. This second cataract, I was told, is normal and happens to most people but is easy to remove in just a quick office setting. And then, it's possible that will grow back again and again. It never ends. I think some of these surgeries are scams. I would get second opinions if I had to do it over again.

Comment from: CONCERNED, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had cataract surgery in one eye in January and the 2nd eye in March of 2017. My eyes became scratchy. I was given many drops and the scratchy feeling went away. But I have had bloodshot eyes ever since, it is July 2017! I was told it I was allergic, I never had an allergy in my life. Well, it must be my medicines. I have been taking the medicines for 30 years. None of the drops take away the bloodshot look.

Cataract Surgery - Side Effects Question: How has cataract surgery affected your vision?