Patient Comments: Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your cataract surgery. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lalinezz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had cataract surgery on both eyes two weeks apart in October 2016. The procedures went well and my vision is excellent in both eyes. I had no complications, but have developed 'flashing' in both eyes, especially the left. I have been back to the surgeon twice, my eye doctor twice, a different eye doctor once and recently an ocular neurologist. All agree my eyes look great, IOLs (intraocular lenses) look wonderful, and optic nerve healthy. The ocular neurologist thought dry eyes might be hindering the sealing around the IOL, so blocked my tear ducts and said to use lubricant eye drops. So far, no improvements. I've started wearing sunglasses indoors and outdoors which does help the flashing. I've had three episodes of ocular migraines, which involved a blurry, spinning effect in both eyes, I could still see, but barely, no pain.

Comment from: James , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I am three months post-surgery for cataract and wish I had not had the surgery. I had toric lenses in both eyes due to astigmatism. I have decent distant vision only, with no mid or close. I require reading glasses to even turn the stove on or see TV remote. I can't read the dashboard of the car. I am extreme sensitivity to light, especially fluorescents. I barely passed eye exam for driver's license which makes me believe my eyes are not what the doctor tells me. My eyes are itchy and red all the time. I find looking at the manufacturer's website an information packet I should have been given; would have changed my mind about the surgery if seen before. I am miserable.

Comment from: Michelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I had cataract surgery in April (over 3 months ago) and floaters removed. The day after surgery I couldn't see anything and was completely blind in that eye. The surgeon told me that it was because I had swelling on the cornea because I have Fuchs uveitis. He put me on cortisone drops. A few weeks after the surgery they discovered that the lens was not focusing in the correct place and did another surgery to replace the lens. I still could not see anything and he continued with the cortisone drops. Then he said the swelling had gone down but I still have a blind patch in the middle of my eye which is not improving at all. So effectively I can't see out of that eye at all. I don't know if this will ever improve or I need to go to a different surgeon.

Comment from: Been there, done tha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had cataract surgery on my right eye in April 2016 and on my left eye in September 2016. It takes about a whole year for each eye to get back to normal. At times it seemed like each eye changed daily. Dry eyes, halos, itching, blurriness, burning, unable to focus, all are part of the healing process. Doctors tell you that you'll be back to normal in a few days; nope, it'll take a good 10 to 12 months. But then here's the kicker: a new second cataract will form on your eye at some point and you'll need a non-surgical, laser-type procedure. This second cataract, I was told, is normal and happens to most people but is easy to remove in just a quick office setting. And then, it's possible that will grow back again and again. It never ends. I think some of these surgeries are scams. I would get second opinions if I had to do it over again.

Comment from: CONCERNED, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had cataract surgery in one eye in January and the 2nd eye in March of 2017. My eyes became scratchy. I was given many drops and the scratchy feeling went away. But I have had bloodshot eyes ever since, it is July 2017! I was told it I was allergic, I never had an allergy in my life. Well, it must be my medicines. I have been taking the medicines for 30 years. None of the drops take away the bloodshot look.

Comment from: TustinEyePatient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had a Symfony toric lens implanted in my left eye on 8/8/17 after cataract surgery. It has either moved or was not implanted at the right angle. My doctor wants to reshape my cornea with laser surgery to correct. I'm very concerned.

Comment from: RETA, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I told the doctor I needed to see road signs and improve night driving. He said cataract surgery usually takes care of that. It did; I can't see signs at all now and afraid to try night driving! I could see before surgery. Anything beyond 10 feet I can't define. I sure can read though; does that tell you what happened!

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had cataract surgery in February of this year. From the day after, my eye felt like it had sticks in it. I probably should not have gone through with the 2nd one, but I was told it would go away. It is now May and both eyes still feel like they are swollen and sticking. It is awful. When I focus, it feels like they are constricting. I was told that one cannot be allergic to the implants, but I am not convinced. I am going for a second opinion as soon as I can get my records pulled. As for my vision, I am okay with the far sightedness but close up is worse than it was before. The surgery was unremarkable but very quick. If not for this constant uncomfortable sensation, I could put up with it. Wish I had researched before, but I am not seeing many comments about this kind of problem anyway.

Comment from: Lost vision, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I had cataract surgery two days ago and I could not even see my hand after the surgery. I called the surgeon and he said it was a pressure problem and gave me a prescription to relieve the pressure. It did not work. I was driven to his office the very next morning and he said it could be the cornea was swollen as a result of the surgery. He gave me another prescription to reduce the swelling in the cornea. I am not very confident in this doctor; but don't know what else to do.

Comment from: kevin t., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I had laser surgery on both eyes and following that I had cataract surgery on my left eye. They told me that the right eye would need to be done as well but to wait another six months or so. Within 8 weeks of the left eye being done the pressure in my right reached 50. I ended up in hospital on a drip to reduce the pressure and after that they did the cataract surgery on my right eye. My problem is glare and also I had been suffering with burning eyes. It appears to be hay fever which I have never had before. My eyes are so sore and also my nose is running all the time. I have mentioned it to my surgeon and he suggested using moisturizing drops but they do little to help. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Comment from: cycleman, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 25

My dad went to an eye doctor to get new glasses. He was told he had a cataract that should be removed. He was 85 and had macular degeneration and lost sight in one eye. After removal he now is nearly blind in both eyes! He can see only shapes if real close. After the unsuccessful surgery he was told it is only successful in less than 50 percent for those at his age. He said had he been told that before surgery he would not have had it. He is now coping with being blind the rest of his life. He told me he has lost faith in doctors and now does not go to them.

Comment from: Bad Cataract Result, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

Three years ago I went in for my second cataract removal with implant. I had a successful right eye cataract surgery done earlier. During the phacoemulsification process, the posterior capsule burst detaching the retina. After three years and five surgeries I am blind in my left eye. I would never have cataract surgery without a second opinion. Also, I had 20/30 before the surgery in the now blind eye. Folks, you better go slow on surgery if you can.

Comment from: D Jean, 75 or over (Patient) Published: August 20

My cataract surgery lasted longer than 10 minutes and felt like burning acid the whole procedure. I don't know what went wrong. Now I am having problem with my other eye in less than a month. I have black rings around my other eye, as well as a sagging swollen eye lid in the other eye. I am so afraid to have my other cataract done.

Comment from: june, 65-74 (Patient) Published: August 15

I have had 2 cataracts removed and was ok for 3 weeks. The doctor says all the drops are making my eyes extremely sore and extremely sensitive to light. I can hardly see. I am on my 4th set of drops and had anti-inflammatory tablets.

Comment from: mony, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I am 45 years old had a cataract surgery in my right eye. It was painful for only few hours but when I removed the patch in the morning I could see clearly, with flashes in the corner of my eye in the light. But after 5 days when I started to go out in the sun with sunglasses my eye became red and painful.

Comment from: Concerned Wife, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 16

My husband had cataract surgery this morning and he said it was excruciatingly painful, so much so he is saying he doesn't want his other eye done. It's too soon to tell if it has improved his vision or not. I wonder why it was so painful if they numb the eye first.

Comment from: redmaj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am not happy with the results of my cataract surgery. First, I really didn't need the surgery, my cataracts were very mild. I was just thinking no more glasses or contacts! Wrong. I have only myself to blame for not asking more questions; my doctor did not counsel me about the surgery, pros and cons. I told him I wanted monovision like my contacts so I did not have to use reading glasses. I now need reading glasses which are a pain. He did not give me the monovision I asked for. I am very sorry I had this done. My eyes ache at times and at times one eye gets silver circles. Before the surgery, I could see great without glasses for close up. I cannot even see to put my makeup on now! I have to live with my decision and very upset with myself. I should have listened to a doctor who told me years ago 'don't cut on a healthy eye'. I would love to have the lenses taken out but that isn't an option. So, I say beware. I feel my doctor was only seeing dollar signs.

Comment from: Rick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I have been legally blind from birth, I have some sight in one eye. I had cataract surgery, wrong lens put in the doctor said. I lost most of the vision I had, tried to find visual aids to help, but nothing helped. Doctor also found the capsule was loose. Also when trying to get a reading for the new lens, because of my eye movement they could not get a good reading and had to do it manually. It was wrong. I asked the doctor to do a second surgery and he said he could try to secure the capsule and get a correct reading if he put me asleep because my eye would stay still. The strange thing is he said he got the same reading. How can this be! He lowered the number on the new lens. I am still having problems.

Comment from: Peggy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have been in good health, taking no medication, was near-sighted, and had no other eye problems. I had cataract surgery on the left eye 6 weeks ago. I was not given any information about lens, and didn't know what questions to ask, just expected that my vision would be like it was before the cataracts. That has not happened. Everything is still blurry with that eye, it doesn't focus well either near or far. I have to cover it when reading. The right eye still has a cataract, but it sees much better than the left one. I don't think I want to have the right eye done. The doctor says I'm doing fine, that it will just take time, but it seems like forever already. And I'm really tired all the time.

Comment from: francis, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I have multi focal lens implant after cataract surgery. I have macular degeneration and get shots in both eyes. When I wake up I have a blood film as I look down for about 5 minutes. I am 85. My vision is 20/30 in both eyes.

Comment from: Ypalos, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I had cataract surgery on 3/17/16. Two days later my vision was 20/100. Today it is 20/400 plus the doctor said that now I have developed AMD (age-related macular degeneration). This is my left eye. I cannot see with my right eye.

Comment from: Amethystia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had cataract surgery on my left on 2/16/16, and my right on 3/1/16. My left has healed amazingly. No pain, procedure was about 10 minutes (minus the time for the drops to dilate). I was in and out in about 35 min for both eyes. My right was 23 days ago. I have just noticed 2 or 3 floaters in my right. I will go in to see the doctor on Monday just to be sure and to check the retina. I am not worried at this point. An added advantage was that my glasses (distance) before the cataracts work perfectly with my 'new eyes'. I have had a great experience.

Comment from: Grannyhmmr, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

My cataract surgery went very well, but my vision is horrible. It has been 2 months for the left eye and 6 weeks for the right. My glasses from before the surgery are no longer usable and my new prescription barely helps. I wish I had never had procedures done!

Comment from: Ruby S., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I never had any cataract surgery. But, last year my grandpa had cataract surgery treatment on both his eyes. After having surgery, his vision has improved, he can now see clearly and he is happy with the surgery.

Comment from: Me Me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

My cataract surgery was uneventful but my vision is horrible. My eyes feel strained all the time. I was told I would no longer need glasses. Funny thing is, the ones I was wearing before the surgery work just fine after the surgery. I'm still on eye drops almost 3 months later and even was put on oral steroids. I'm so sorry I had the surgery done. The only change is the pain.

Comment from: New Patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had cataract surgery in July 2015 on both eyes and could see very clearly immediately after. And in November my vision started to get awful. I went back to the surgeon and found out my retina was swollen. Four different eye drops later, a shot in my eyes and a prescription for anti-inflammatory medicine and I still have vision problems. I hate I ever had the surgery.

Comment from: Jennifer54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I recently had my right eye operated on with cataract surgery, following my left eye exactly one year ago. I was initially very happy with the results of my left eye, and thought the right eye was as successful. But, after being examined by my optometrist, it was shown to me how lopsided my vision was. I also had (and still do) silver arcs or sometimes full circumferences appearing in my right eye, plus dry and itchy eyes. My surgeon was arrogant, belittling me. I figure that there is a clause in the operation contract protecting the doctor. I hope that these symptoms settle with time.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had lens replacement last September in both eyes. My left eye feels redundant, can't see distance or up close. It was better before I had the cataract surgery done and my eyes are just so tired all the time.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had total knee replacement of my right knee on 10/27/15. This is so much more than I expected. I am now able to sleep better and turn on my side. My main problem is nerve damage on one side of my knee cap. I'm now on medication and I massage the area constantly. I have a doctor's appointment next week and hope this is not a permanent condition. I wonder if anyone else has had this nerve damage problem. The symptoms are extreme sensitivity and burning.

Comment from: Wiserat65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

In 2015, I had retina surgery in April, then cataract surgery in July, both on my right eye. I just don't feel like it was successful. I still can't see clearly, can't see to drive at night. They keep saying it looks good. I don't know what to think.

Comment from: Donna B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had a lot of problems after cataract surgery with pain, blurriness, burning, stinging, and watering of eyes. It was all due to side effects of the medicated eye drops you take for 2 weeks after the procedures. When I stopped them everything was gone and my vision great; even the headaches it causes (which I never usually get) went away.

Comment from: LadyCantC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had cataract surgery on both eyes just weeks ago. I did discuss with my doctor getting premium lenses, but I decided to get standard lenses for distance. I knew that I may need reading glasses after. However, I did not know that I was going to struggle with bad close vision this much. I can't see my watch on my wrist, myself in the mirror to apply makeup, my phone, read from my iPad, or even cook or feed my dogs without reading glasses. When I use reading glasses, I can't see at a distance. My world has changed to the worse. I could see perfectly close before and had glasses for distance. Now I can't function in my everyday life without putting reading glasses on and taking them off. If you are getting cataract surgery, be sure you understand the options and when they tell you that you will need reading glasses, it means that you will not be able to see anything close up. If you can afford it, get the premium lenses that Medicare does not pay for.

Comment from: pauline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had my right eye operated on in August. The cataract surgery was really scary. I was awake, listening to what was being said. I lay rigid on the table for 45 minutes; so rigid I broke one of my teeth! Next 3 months were awful. I struggled to see as I was still waiting for left eye to be operated on, so it affected my balance as I could only see out of the eye that had been operated on. I just had left my eye operated on. I am much better now. This was faster too, took 30 minutes. Vision is looking good, but will still need reading glasses. I am getting dizziness and headaches but think this will pass. So, it is scary, but hopefully worth it.

Comment from: David M., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

After my cataract surgery I can't see up close. I'm a musician and can't read music without reading glasses. To make matters worse I have to have 3 different strengths. It's very frustrating.

Comment from: CaroleC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had cataract surgery on my left eye yesterday. I was scared to death but it wasn't bad at all and over quickly. After the surgery I could see from that eye, but it had a lot of blurriness all day. That must have been due to the super-strong eye dilation for surgery. After sleeping 7 hours last night (with the eye shield on), the blurriness is gone and the difference is miraculous! Now, I can hardly wait to get my right eye done next Thursday as scheduled. I chose the correction for distance only, with readers for close up. I knew from past experiences with contacts that for me this would work better than the multifocal glasses and monovision (one near, one far). I have always had more astigmatism than nearsightedness, but did not get the astigmatism (toric) lens either because the doctor said I didn't need it for some reason. Guess he was right because I can see pretty well from the eye right now, only 19 hours after surgery. I am so pleased with the results thus far.

Comment from: Bob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I had cataract surgery done on my left eye on Sept 11, 2015, and the right eye a month later. Left eye all went well. I had standard lens implant and it took 10 minutes. Next day I had very blurry vision. As each day passed I noticed marked improvement. After two weeks I was amazed; perfect vision in that eye. Not so for the right eye. After 3 weeks I have halos and light streaks emitted from post lamps. Nothing is really in sharp focus. Doctor says new glasses will cure this. I have to wait three more weeks for eye test. So, in short, I am very happy with left eye, have to adjust to the right eye. All in all I can see much better than before. Colors and brightness are greatly improved.

Comment from: Careodoe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had cataract removal on both eyes and I see worse than before. Everything is blurry. I thought I was supposed to see better, it's been 2 weeks for one eye and one week for the other.

Comment from: Bec, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had my cataract surgery on September 3 with next procedure scheduled on September 17. After wearing glasses for over 59 years, I was able to see for the first time in my life through my left eye (my good eye). The procedure was a cinch and within 3 hours I was allowed to take off the protective shield (back on while napping or sleeping though). I was totally amazed at the improvement. I can see clearly for the first time in forever. Things do seem less magnified but clear, sharp and wonderful! Hubby removed the lens from my glasses because everything was horribly blurry. Now, other than a size difference in things I see, I'm 100 percent! Can't wait for my 'bad' eye to be done so I can get rid of my glasses for good. (I will probably have to use OTC readers for up close, but that is fine with me!) Procedure was painless and I was home after an hour and a half. Drops are a piece of cake.

Comment from: len, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I had the cataract surgery 7 years ago. From the first week I had double vision in one eye. The doctor has since had 4 attempts of rectifying it. Now this week after throwing more money at him because I can only see out of the bottom half of the eye, and the top is as if a black marking pencil has been drawn across it, I have been told sorry, but he can't do anything for me. He has said he will refer me to an eye specialist (this so called doctor is supposed to be a specialist). I have an appointment next Tuesday 21st July with another doctor. I feel that I will be throwing more money away. So far it has cost me nearly USD 10,000. These eye doctors should be held to account and bear the cost of any mistakes.

Comment from: clark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I had lens replacement surgery for cataracts, 7 weeks ago to my left eye. I was never told that there are three different types of lenses. One is basic you can see to read but that's about it. Second is one you can see up to arm's length away but not distance. Third is the 1,800 lens that you can see close and far but you will see glares and halos. I was not told any of this until my visit on week 7. If you don't absolutely positively have to have this done don't do it. You cannot fix it, you are stuck with it. I don't need reading glass to read but I can't watch TV even with glasses. I am told that's the way it is. My eye will be like this forever and nothing went wrong, this is just the way it is. On week 7 is when I was told that's the way my vision will be.

Comment from: LaDeeDa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am 10 days out from first cataract surgery on left eye. I still have a feeling that my eye was fussed with, vision is no better and distance is more challenged. I had and paid for femto laser surgery to the tune of 1400.00 to 'make cut more specific and correct astigmatism. Rip off! During exam number 3 since surgery, doctor said I have an astigmatism in that eye. I am putting off the other eye as I cannot think of having 2 eyes as bad as the one that was done.

Comment from: pallisade1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had cataract surgery on both eyes in the last few weeks. My lens were replaced with LenSx but I have had some horrible side effects. First, if you are nearsighted go with the nearsighted replacement lens. Same goes for farsighted people. My doctor took me from nearsightedness to farsightedness and he never told me that going from nearsighted to farsighted was going to cause my body to go into shock as my brain cannot handle the sudden change after being nearsighted or over 45 years. I have terrible headaches, nausea and my body shakes. He did not properly inform me about anything. Now I need to have corrective surgery to go back to nearsightedness. Now my doctor wants to discuss with me my options; this he should have done before the surgery. I don't trust him with my eyes now and have started contacting lawyers.

Comment from: TAK, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I'm so angry. I feel like I've been blinded by cataract surgery. My right eye sees up close. The left, dominant eye, was supposed to see far away. I feel like I'm looking through waxed paper. Three months ago, I walked into the doctor's office wearing glasses and seeing very well, except for night vision. Now I see nothing beyond about 10 feet.

Comment from: Rudhyar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had my left cataract removed two weeks ago. It was done as day surgery with a local anesthetic block on the left side of my face which immobilized my eye and prevented any pain. The surgery was no problem. My eye felt like it had sand in it for about five days but now feels fine. I have to put drops in my eye for 4 weeks. My vision is still blurry but is improving every day. My doctor told me it would be about 4 to 6 weeks before everything heals up, so patience is required. This is a fairly major surgery but because it is done as day surgery and under a local anesthetic I think people underestimate the healing time needed. Anyway, I have no regrets about having this done and will have the other eye done when necessary.

Comment from: dbw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I had cataract surgery in my right eye which was farsighted. The surgeon told me after surgery I might need readers. Now after surgery I am nearsighted! The surgeon says it's the way I healed and will need glasses. I wonder if the lens be removed and a new lens inserted.

Comment from: Lorri, Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I am a 54 year old diabetic and had my first cataract surgery on 10/14 and all went well. Then I had the YAG laser surgery and it got even better. I had my left eye done in 12/14 and have had problems. From January to April my eye has bled 3 times. I had to wait for it to clear for about 3 weeks. Then I had a laser done by a retinal doctor. Second time he gave me a shot in the eye and for the 3rd time I'm waiting to see him again. I want the YAG thinking it would help but my retinal doctor says it would undo what he has done. I think I don't have much to lose since my eye has bled 3 times now. The YAG would break up particles more and maybe they would be small and not tear my capillaries. I don't know which doctor to talk to. I was able to see with glasses before and had great close up vision. I wish I had waited for the doctor to tell me the side effects. Life was simple then.

Comment from: Ricky, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had cataract surgery 4 weeks ago on my right eye. My distance vision is good, but I will need glasses for reading. My problem is that in bright light everything seams hazy, also looking in the bathroom mirror which has fluorescent lights, it is difficult to put makeup on. I hope in time this will clear up. The doctor examined my eye 3 weeks ago and said everything looks fine, but it doesn't feel that way. I am needing to blink often because there seems to be a blurry area toward the outer area of my eye.

Comment from: kknm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I just had cataract surgery; worst experience in my life. I saw the entire procedure and all the tools that were used. I had pain during the procedure and due to being heavily sedated I was unable to let the doctor know it. All I could do was groan. The medical staff responded that I was in a hospital. My recovery at home took a long time. I slept from 8:00 to 7:00 pm. I have nightmares about the surgery. Vision is great. Now to face surgery for the other eye in a week.

Comment from: Jwelhwel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had cataract surgery on my left eye one month ago. My right eye was done two weeks prior and the results was perfect. With my second eye, however, I am experiencing significant dysphotopsia, glare and starbursts around lights even in daylight, but significantly worse at night so as to make driving at night almost impossible. I also experience a strobe like flashing at the temporal side of that eye whenever light is on the left of my face. It is very burdensome as it gives me headaches and is disruptive when driving. The surgeon said it might go away in three to 6 months but if the flashing did not go away, he could do nothing about it. This has left me very depressed as, along with the starbursts and glare, my quality of life is severely diminished.

Comment from: lala, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had cataract surgery 2 months ago and have had problems ever since. I went back to the doctor 3 times without appointment. He said it was healed, must be dry heat or something else. Last week I had so much pain I went to quick care, thank goodness, there was so much infection I could have died. I had 3 shots in my eye to stop the infection, now no one knows why, just saying from the surgery. I have spent so much in the other doctor's bills trying to find out, but I was healed. If you are not feeling right get to another eye doctor fast.

Comment from: Nessbess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

Approximately 2 years ago I had cataract surgery in both eyes. My left eye is fantastic as is the vision in my right but I have been left with a feeling of something being in my right eye. I put eye drops in about every 2 hours (the drops people use for dry eye). I am going mad with this constant irritation. My specialist tells me to keep putting the drops in; not very satisfactory.

Comment from: Lynn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My 'well known' doctor calculated my 1st surgery correctly but placed the far sighted lens in my right eye accidently; although I told him from the beginning I could not see distance. A week after surgery, I went back and his assistant told him he had inserted the wrong lens. I am told I cannot get this eye corrected by another surgery.

Comment from: Phillip s, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

My first cataract surgery was on May 5th, 2014. Everything was fine until I removed the patch from my eye, it was blurry and dim. In July I want back for the second surgery that was done by laser, but something was still wrong with my vision. Not only is it dim and blurry, it also has a halo that makes it hard to drive at night that is very debilitating. I'm going to see a different doctor.

Comment from: psbsr, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 01

In 2011, I had cataract surgery on my good eye and after a few months of good vision, my vision deteriorated. Over 3 years I saw 2 optometrists and 4 ophthalmologists. My vision had gone from 20/25 to 20/50. I self-diagnosed that I had PCO (posterior capsule opacity) or 2nd cataracts. I went to another Ophthalmologist who performed YAG laser same day and restored my vision.

Comment from: Josie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had cataract surgery in my first eye done three weeks ago, and amazed at the results! I constantly put my hand over my new eye to see the difference because it's so much better. Sort of like looking through a really dirty window. The second eye was done a couple of days ago and vision is great! I had one eye set for distance, and one for midrange, loving it. I can read or drive with no problem, and vision is still expected to improve. Best thing ever.

Comment from: Jim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I had cataract surgery on both eyes primarily to get rid of the fog from scattered light most notable in night driving. The surgery and recovery went fine with no problems. However, now I have bright streaks of light emanating from bright point light sources. Night driving is worse than before. My doctor so far has no answer as to cause or corrective action.

Comment from: disappointedpatient, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

After having cataract surgery on both eyes, I wished now I would have had the same doctor perform both surgeries. Since my 2nd surgery back in September 2013, my left eye has felt as if scar tissue or some growth has formed. Though I am just on the patient end of this, I know what I feel on a daily basis. Correct me if I am wrong, but is it a normal procedure to bring the patient out and awake midway through the operation, feeling the tugging affect, scraping affect, plus whatever else is involved. The first doctor didn't... why would the second doctor!

Comment from: Ben Z, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I had cataract surgery on the right eye 10 days ago and left eye 3 days ago. My right eye was blurry following surgery but has improved gradually each day since. The left eye is acting the same as the right and getting better every day. Wow. The world is brighter and bluer. I couldn't be happier. My ophthalmologist and optometrist have been very thorough throughout this whole ordeal. I plan on taking several weeks to recover and taking drops as directed. I now have better vision than I have ever experienced in my life. Find a doctor and staff that perform 20 procedures a week, it will increase your chances of an outstanding result. I love it.

Comment from: Mctess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had cataract surgery in my right eye on 6/19/14 and opted for the lenses that I would not need to wear glasses. I have problems, such as a feeling of something in my eye, which moves from top to bottom, also itching and burning. Doctor examined my eyes and he said the eye is clear, the vision is 20/20. He gave me Systane drops to use, they helped for a day and back to the same feeling. He prescribed allergy drops to use, they helped the itch, and the feeling of something in my eye is still there. I have to have the left eye done on 7/9 and I am afraid that I will have the same problem. I am going to call the doctor. And hopefully he can find the problem.

Comment from: david, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had my left eye cataract removed 1 week ago. My color contrast and vision is now really, really good. I do have macular degeneration, vision before the operation described as 70% right and 50% left. The images in my left eye are darker than the right, I presume this is due to the macular degeneration. But I'm happy, I can now really see. My right eye vision is blurred and yellowy, and this, I considered was a good eye! Get your eyes checked annually.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had cataract surgery last week. My second surgery caused my eye to blur. The doctor admitted something went wrong but did not know what. I did not request mono vision lenses but this turned out to be something like that. My optometrist said to give it 6 weeks to see if my brain adjusts to this lens. That's what I am doing. If it does not work I will see a different doctor. I am not happy. I paid $1600 per eye.

Comment from: cstig, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had cataract surgery on my left eye in April 22. The first night home I had to wear a shield over my eye. The very next day I went in for a very quick check up on the eye. The doctor said it looked good. Here is my concern. When I went to bed and turned off the lights, it was as if my left eye still had something over it. I felt like I had vision only in my right eye. In my left eye, which I had the surgery on, if I covered my right eye, the vision was dim and a bit blurry, not as clear and bright as my right eye. I"m wonder if this is temporary. I"m hoping it is.

Comment from: anneman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had glasses since the age of 4. I am severely nearsighted, probably about a -12 or so. During my 20s, I needed to have retinal surgery on both eyes within a month, due to retinal tears (they say this is because I am so nearsighted, the retina was stretched and tore). That surgery was successful. Meanwhile, in my late 30s, early 40s I was told I had slow growing cataracts. It finally got so bad that I couldn"t see at night. I went to have the surgery in the beginning of January for my right eye first. I think I was seeing 20/50 afterwards! Unfortunately, my other eye was still terrible. I couldn"t wear glasses and could not function. At my 4 day post operation visit, I begged the doctor to do my other eye as soon as possible. Usually you need to wait 4 to 6 weeks, he agreed to do it in 2 weeks. Now I have a light prescription for glasses, but can"t see up close when wearing them! I am now farsighted. It has been three months and still a little difficult to get used to. I can see without glasses, but not to drive or anything like that. I had a great doctor and a great experience. I guess I just need to wait the full three months until my prescription is final and go back and maybe get a pair of contacts with reading glasses and another pair of regular glasses. I was so frightened to have the first eye done, but really, it is about a 20 minute procedure and if you have the right doctor and hospital, it is a great experience. If you need to have this done, don"t hesitate to get a second, third or 4th opinion. If you find the right doctor, it will all be worth it.

Comment from: TNcarrob, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had terrible results from cataract surgery. I received a multi-focal lens in right eye in 2012 for which I paid nearly $3000.00. Ever since, I have had a terrible halo which is very debilitating. I cannot look at any bright lights or bright contrasts. No more looking at Christmas lights, for example. I can no longer drive at night as street lights and car lights blind me.

Comment from: school nurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I last posted on February 12 about my fears of having cataract surgery. My left eye had a toric IOL (intraocular lens) replacement on March 11th to correct its astigmatism. When I had the eye shield removed at 0730 the following day I was initially disappointed as my vision in the left eye was only corrected to 20/70 and my daughter"s was immediately corrected to 20/20. By noon of this very same day, my vision had cleared and I was seeing 20/20. I put a contact in my right eye and was floored by all the details, color and light I could now see! My vision was spot on for the first time in many decades. Tomorrow, Mar 25th, my right eye will have its cataract destroyed. I have no astigmatism in this eye so I will just be getting the standard lens inserted. I have decided to go with monovision, that is, undercorrect my right eye to preserve my reading vision as well as giving me good distance vision. I will let you know how it all turned out in the next couple of weeks. Wish me luck! The one thing I didn"t see mentioned in any of the posts is that while you are undergoing phacoemulsion, you see the most beautiful light show in your operative eye. For me it started out as 3 white rectangles positioned like 2 eyes and a mouth. The white rectangles began to swirl and developed into colors as they were swirling. Absolutely amazing and entertaining!

Comment from: sassy13562, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had cataract surgery on both eyes done - vision is much better, but when I look at the stars or any lights from a distance they appear as a kite shape and are beautiful colors of red, blue, green and yellow - I know that is not normal. The doctor said I had wrinkling in the capsule and he did laser on the left eye, but I still see the stars as lighted kites.

Comment from: Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had cataract surgery on my left eye on February 3, 2014, and I am not seeing well out of that eye. I am still using steroid drops 4 times a day. While under sedation I experienced pain in the eye and told the surgeon; he told me I couldn"t be. Well, I did! He tells me that my eye is now 20 to 30, but it is blurry most of the time. After surgery my eyelid was taped shut and a cuplike device was placed on my eye till the next day. When it was removed there was a lot of blood. I am questioning the surgeon about my experience but am not getting acceptable answers. I do not want to go through this again!

Comment from: Kokeshi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had cataract surgery on my right eye last June. I lost my near vision after having the surgery. I can no longer see my face, my finger nails, recipes, seeds for sowing in my garden. I see double of everything up to 3 feet away from me. My far vision is okay, but certainly not great. Today, I had my left eye done. This was supposed to leave my near vision intact. Five hours after surgery and I can see light and dark, but no objects. It's fuzzier than before the surgery.

Comment from: Judirod, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had cataract surgery done on my left eye 5 days ago. It was a piece of cake and I can read the house number across the street. But I just noticed tonight that I have a 45 degree light angle going across my eye. It's the same angle that was described by another lady. Anyway, I see the doctor in 2 days, so I hope it's not serious.

Comment from: eeppie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had cataract surgery on my left eye 10 days ago, then on my right eye a week later. I was very pleased after the left eye surgery for I could see distance without the aid of glasses for the first time since I was a child. I looked forward to getting the right eye done. But my vision is miserable right now. I had one eye corrected for distance, the other for close up but I cannot see either close up or distance. I am hoping with time things will improve. Right now I am wearing contact lens for distance and reader glasses for near but neither vision is good. The surgery experience was great and my surgeon has been nothing short of wonderful. These are just the risks we take when we agree to go under the knife I guess!

Comment from: Ron, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I had LASIK about 14 years ago and all was well until 3 years ago. Little by little vision deteriorated to 20/40 at best. I had surgery on my dominant eye in mid-December and the procedure went well. My concern is that the vision, while clear, is probably 20/50. My concern is whether it's maxed out or if it will improve. I am due to have the other eye done in a few weeks and hoping that results improve. Tough acclimatizing to one eye surgically enhanced and wearing prescription lens in other eye. I'm told that LASIK limits the lens selection. Hopefully, things will work out.

Comment from: Dale, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I had cataract surgery on January 2, 2014. It was my left eye. I had only used glasses for driving. I could see fine otherwise. It was stated that now I would need glasses for reading. I questioned the doctor. He said he could increase my ability to read. So now I can read well but my near to far distance is fuzzy and poor. Apparently both far and near cannot be improved without glasses. I was better off before surgery and am sorry I had it done.

Comment from: Charlemagne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had cataract surgery recently and had a lens for close-up vision implanted. I made an uninformed mistake, i.e., when I was asked what kind of lens I wanted - for distance or close up - I received no explanation regarding the difference. I am now feeling overwhelmed by the fact that my world is now very limited, because everything I look at beyond what is immediately in front of me is a blur. I am afraid that I am going to have an accident while driving.

Comment from: KOP, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am a very healthy, active woman who had cataract surgery in my left eye 3 weeks ago. Ever since the surgery I have had diagonal glare which makes night driving difficult. Every bright light (tail lights, head lights, street lights, glare bouncing off other cars) creates a 45 deg angle light which goes up to the rooftops from the light source, and down to the ground, extending in front of a light source for many yards. This is not a halo or starburst; it is a very precise diagonal line, and every bright light has one. This is also true for glare on sunny days, but at least I can wear sunglasses. This glare is showing no signs of going away. (I keep hoping.) To correct the glare (a form of positive dysphotopsia) surgeon wants to do the YAG laser procedure which punches a hole in the back of the posterior capsule. While many people report on various forums this procedure helped reduce their dysphotopsia glare problems, I have also read many times including in a recently published textbook of ophthalmology, that the YAG procedure can itself cause problems with glare, create floaters, and it will always make explanting the IOL more difficult and risky, if an explant is needed. I will be getting a second opinion from a teaching hospital. I think you must do cataract surgery only when you really need it; and find the best doctor you can. I was persuaded by friends who raved about how simple it was and problem free. True most of the time, I'm sure. But about 30% have severe glare problems after the surgery that make their glare problems before the surgery seem like nothing.

Comment from: Jfshakopee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had cataract surgery one week ago on my right eye. I have had double vision from the day of surgery and cannot see as well as the doctor led me to believe I would. I did have some swelling in the eye and increased the Pred Forte eye drops as instructed. I will return tomorrow for one-week check-up. I realize that healing takes time and I am trying to be patient. I am unable to enjoy any of my hobbies right now - reading, crossword puzzles, photography - so I'm having a difficult time. I hope the healing continues and I will post an update. I'm supposed to have the left eye done in one week, but may have to postpone.

Comment from: OldEngineer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I am 64 year old male and had cataract surgery (lens implants) last winter and early spring. First one eye and then the next. The surgery was performed as an outpatient at a local hospital. The surgery was simple and relatively painless, I could tell they were messing around with my eyes, but there was really no pain per se. My vision improved almost immediately and within a week I was seeing the brilliance of colors and details like I had remembered. Six months later I am as pleased as I could be, my vision is excellent, with the exception, I still need glasses to read very fine lettering (like on medication bottles). It was worth doing for me!

Comment from: LYNDAG, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I had cataract surgeries a few years ago. At first I was ecstatic, I've worn glasses since I was 9 years old. My vision suddenly clouded and progressively got worse. After the cataract surgery I was amazed going from 20/200 in one eye and 20/400 in the other to 20/20 and 20/25. I recently noticed my vision faltering and now need glasses to read or do close work. I can still see distance but not as well as before, I also had a double stigmatism. Do cataracts grow back or are my eyes getting worse because I am 64 and have diabetes - these will be the questions I will ask my family doctor next time I have an appointment.

Comment from: saranya, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have undergone phacoemulsion (cataract surgery) of my right eye with an intraocular lens. Totally painless procedure. I enjoyed the whole surgery. Within 2 hours I was back home. The eye drops need to be put every 2 hours. Except that I was totally normal with all my work and activities. I even travelled over the weekend. The world is bright. First 2 days with protective glasses I did not realize it. Now I care more for my own eyes rather than the specs. I don't need them anymore.

Comment from: Lori44, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I had uncomplicated cataract surgery 18 days ago. The day after surgery, my sight was really sharp and I was very happy. One week later, I had a post-operation appointment where dilating eye drops were used and since then my eyesight has not been nearly as good and now have halos around bright lights again as before surgery and distance vision not nearly as good as day after surgery.

Comment from: RON E, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had cataract surgery done in both eyes within 2 weeks of each other. I can see great, even see better in the dark but my eyes start to water like I am crying. They also itch. My doctor says that should go away. It has been 6 weeks now.

Comment from: Jim in Katy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I had cataract surgery on my right eye 10 days ago. All is well except for the fact that objects seen from my right are 30 percent larger than the same object seen from my left eye!

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I had cataract surgery 5 weeks ago and still very sore, I can't touch my eyelid.

Comment from: Thunderlights, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I had cataract surgery two weeks apart in December 2016. Other than having problems from my eyes being dilated when I came home, I had no problems at all. I now do not need glasses or contacts. That was amazing to me since my prescription was very high before the surgery. I think that people who have bad experiences should have decided on a different doctor. I was lucky enough to have a surgeon who is at the top eye hospital in the nation. I am delighted with the surgery. I wish wonderful sights for all.

Comment from: jennifer k, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had cataract surgery in left eye in September 2016. They told me my blood pressure went to 0 and they had to administer atropine. I am scheduled for right eye in November. I wonder if I should see a cardiologist. I am frightened but doctor said it was an oculocardiac reflex and will use atropine in IV before surgery next time. He does not seem worried.

Comment from: Randy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I had cataract surgery on both eyes and it is terrible. I cannot see close up. I cannot even see my face clearly. Ninety percent of what I did was close up work so needed my near vision. I went from one pair of glasses to three pairs of glasses and multiple magnifying glasses to try to see. I have terrible night vision. I feel like the doctors rushed me to have cataract surgery. They just discovered them during a routine eye exam and then scheduled the surgery for a month later. Doctors say I had great results. They ruined my life. Then the cost is now three times what they originally said it was going to be. So frustrated. Wish I had never had the surgeries.

Comment from: gjmoonglow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I had problem with the eye drops after my cataract surgery. I had chest and arm muscle pain, pain in my eye, dizziness, nausea, and problems with cognitive reasoning. After a month getting worse I called my eye doctor and they told me to stop taking the eye drops. They wanted me to take them for two months but I dropped them immediately.

Comment from: dianedmk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Before cataract surgery I had never worn glasses in my entire life and was assured that I still would not need to, except maybe for close-up reading. This is what happened. My doctor actually prescribed bifocals after the surgery. He obviously put the wrong lenses in my eyes. I had requested no-power lenses since I knew I didn't need any correction. Instead, he put in lenses powered for near-sightedness. I am very angry. He actually even charged me for the refraction too. I am still trying to get by with no glasses, for this should not have happened. I wish I had some recourse.

Comment from: Susie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had cataract surgery two weeks ago and have no improvement in my vision. Doctor does not see any problem, infection or swelling.

Comment from: Charmbee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I had cataract surgery on my left eye and the lid is closing down. I have tried to open it wide to match the right eye but it won't open to that size. I wonder what happened.

Comment from: kiwi54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Since I had my cataract surgery 6 months ago I have been absolutely miserable! My eyes are stinging, burning and itching ever since. I went back a month ago and they have given me treatments for dry eye. I have followed the directions exactly and feel even worse. Wish there was somewhere I could go to get to the bottom of this. Wish I had never had it done.

Comment from: judies, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I had cataract surgery on my right eye on 9/9/14, and on my left eye on 9/23/14. Right eye is good, but left eye feels like there is a hair in it; 4 months of this and I keep getting a run around.

Comment from: TeePeeEyes, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had cataract surgery on both eyes two years ago. My right eye is fine, but when I am in a car at night, all cars, trucks, or street lights appear as Indian teepees in my left eye until I get within fifty feet of the source of the light.

Comment from: rich, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I had cataract surgery a few years ago. I had the Restor lenses and it cost $2500.00 per eye. My eyes are worse than ever. I keep going back for checkups and they say they can't help me.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

Years ago I had LASIK surgery on both eyes. Now I am older I had cataracts removed and am told that the calculations have to be precise. The first doctor admitted he placed the reading lens in my right eye which should have been for distance. I am told that I cannot have another surgery to correct it. I went to a second doctor for the left eye and he put in a distance lens but messed up the calculations. I want my eyes corrected and can't do it now. I am sick of these people getting their money for making mistakes!

Comment from: david, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I had a cataract removal from my left eye 3 months ago, it was done as part of the world vision day cataract removal marathon project. This was a gift that I did not pay for. Thanks all of those involved, now I can see; really, really see.

Comment from: LesYeux, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 24

I had cataract surgery almost 2 years ago and have had major trouble with my sight ever since. My eyes are incredibly sensitive to light to the point where I get intense headaches, and feel nauseous. I cannot read now because focusing my eyes hurts and makes me feel ill as well. I see flashes of light at times too.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had cataract surgery for both eyes, done two weeks apart. My left eye gets blurry a lot and I have dry eyes. It has been 3 months and I use Restasis to take away the dryness. But I'll continue to wait 6 months to see if clears up. My distant vision is not clear enough so I will ask the doctor if I will need glasses.

Comment from: Bea, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had cataract surgery of left eye and the lens diopter was 18.0 D that occurred in 2003. In April of this year I had the same thing on the right eye and the diopter was 18.5. My right eye has had redness on one side of the eye and it looks way smaller. The doctor had a difficult time pushing lens in, I heard him tell others in the room, “I never had a hard time pushing lens in like I am having now.” I told him the next day but he did not seem concerned.

Comment from: Latrtatr, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My husband had cataract surgery done on both eyes, a week apart. His vision has reversed, he is now nearsighted and can read anything. So now he will have to wear glasses all the time instead of just when he read. He was told this is normal for some. We are skeptical.

Comment from: janny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had cataract surgery done on both eyes approximately 4 to 6 weeks apart and the right eye was always perfect but the left has been worse and if I try to see out of that eye alone it's almost impossible. The doctor says nothing is wrong with the lens.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter