Patient Comments: CT Scan - Helped With Your Diagnosis

Please describe how a CT Scan has helped in your diagnosis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Cheryle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have had ear problem with my left ear for 3 years. I went to an ENT doctor for the problem. I have had a CT Scan and it shows I have arthritis in that ear. I have lost 81 percent of hearing in that ear. When I went the, doctor scraped out pieces of hard matter like rock. At times there is an odor from the ear. I have been taking Reclast infusion for 4 years. My bone density is at the bottom of the chart. Several weeks now the left side of my face, including the ear, is numb. I feel like my head in down in a well. I am searching for an ENT specialist. I need help.

Comment from: kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had abdominal pain for 11 years, and 10 years ago I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis after a CT scan. This week I had my appendix removed and no longer have abdominal pain. The foods I could not eat before because of flares, I can eat again. No bloody stool, no pus, no pain. After surgery, no pain medication needed! I am feeling great! Felt deathly ill for 10 years, now it's better.

Comment from: Mae, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

After having blood in urine one time, I mentioned it to my doctor and took some medications for infection but minute particles of blood were still there. I didn"t have insurance so I had to pay out of pocket for colonoscopy, endoscopy, and two pints of blood. My hemoglobin was 6 and I was coughing and lost 70 lbs in a year. A CT scan showed I had cancer in my right kidney, adrenal glands, lymph nodes and lungs. A kidney biopsy confirmed I had an aggressive stage 4 kidney (renal cell) cancer. While my cancer is incurable, it is treatable with targeted therapy (daily pills for four weeks, two weeks off). I get a CT scan every three months and so far, my tumors are shrinking. When these pills no longer work, they will try others. My first doctor told me I would live 2 months to a year. Second opinion gave me the same medications but said I could die of something else before the cancer will kill me. I switched doctors!

Comment from: meowmix, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

In December, I was in the hospital diagnosed with gastroenteritis but came back as inpatient within a day of discharge. I drank contrast and had a CT scan which showed that I had an intestinal blockage. The CT scan should have been done the first time but I'm on the road to recovery.

Comment from: Nat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had a CT scan done on October 12th, 2016 for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I was informed today that the radioactive material I was injected with was tested and showed bacterial growth. My blood work done on October 31, showed normal.

Comment from: Rosemary, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had a CT scan, left carotid artery. Blood was drawn for creatinine level, then contrast dye was begun. I did not feel the usual warm effects and told the technician that I did not. After a few seconds, I felt the effects but about 1/10 of what I have always felt. About 48 hours after the scan, I was home alone and got a total body flush about 10 times the usual! I had to call 911, went to the emergency room, did take 25 mg PO Benadryl before leaving home. I was never given any steroids, etc. I called my primary care physician who prescribed prednisone, after the first dose of which, I felt better. I am a retired registered nurse. The imaging center reported to me that I had a very rare reaction. I propose that some contrast was injected IM instead of IV. My personal doctors agreed. I have had CT scans, even recently for other issues, never had a reaction.

Comment from: Missy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I had a CT scan for suspicion of appendicitis. When they injected the dye, my heart went into tachycardia instantly. I take atenolol. I also have PVCs (premature ventricular contractions). They insisted that the cardiac reaction had nothing to do with the dye. I know my own body. I was fine before the dye was injected. The next minute my heart was pounding out of my chest with irregular heartbeats continually.

Comment from: joan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I went to the urgent-care center for acute pain in my left side. They did blood work and a urinalysis, thinking it was a kidney infection. The urine came back normal, but blood work showed a definite infection. They sent me to the hospital, where I had more blood work, another urinalysis, and a CT scan. The results of the CT scan showed that I had an infection in my colon. I was not admitted because I wasn't throwing up, nor did I have diarrhea. I was put on two antibiotics and missed three days of work, but I got well. Thank goodness for the CT scan.

Comment from: heartbroken, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I went to one of the hospitals in our area because of side pain 4 times. This was within a year with the same diagnosis hairline fracture of the rib, they took an x-ray and sent me home with pain killers. I decided to go to the other hospital because they don't ask for insurance until after you are released told them of symptoms now weakness in legs and headaches had developed as well. They did a CT scan. I had cancer, but at this point it had gone to stage 4 as it moved from my lung to my brain. I had swelling on my brain and had to have a shunt put in and only1 tumor removed at the base of the cerebrum. I can't walk well see well 50-50 chance of surviving a year. I have six children and no insurance. Always get a second opinion.

Comment from: CAT SCAN, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

hello there myI once had a cat scan. I was very scared because I never had one before, but I must say that from the moment I walked into the hospital the doctors made me feel very safe in there care it was even the first time I had ever been to the hospital other then when I was born. The reason why I had to get a CT SCAN was because I had very bad lower cramps and at the time I was on my cycle. The first thing they did was give me an IV for a while then I had to drink contrast to light up my organs. I had to go into the room for the scan. There was a very nice doctor there who really made me feel calm because I did not know what was going on. All I knew was that it was a CAT SCAN after I had the SCAN they sent me back to the room to wait for results to come back. I started to get very bored because I was missing my family, friends, and my boyfriend. After a while the results came back in. Come to find out there was no problem going on with my body. I was just having very bad pain my doctor told me not to eat so much of spicy food for while and after that I had to wait for my discharge, so that I could go home after every thing was over. I felt so happy that nothing bad was going wrong! So I would like to send my thanks out to the hospital and all of the doctors who help me over come my fear about coming to the hospital for the first time and I also want to thank this web site for letting me share my experience of having a CT SCAN.

Comment from: sallyjoe86, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I fell face down on a concrete floor in March. I broke my right arm, and also hit my chin and forehead. In August I had an MRI and had surgery for a shattered C5 and C6 disc in my neck. I ended up with 4 screws and a plate in my neck. I have the same symptoms as before my surgery. If I walk at a fast pace or on an uneven surface for about 2 blocks, my head feels like it is going to explode. Even going up a stairway is difficult. The doctors find nothing wrong with me, also my ring finger on my right hand does not bend and it feels like a knife is sticking it. Now on my left hand my finger beside my thumb is the same way. I fell really hard, two days after I fell my left ear felt like I had a full blown out ear infection, but the doctor said I was fine. I feel worse since the surgery! Now my throat feels like I get choked off. Usually by evening I am throwing up. Usually by the end of the day my symptoms are worse. My head hurts only when my head gets moved or "bounced" around and moves around.

Comment from: ali, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I was ill for eight weeks. I would go to the hospital, but the doctors just kept sending me home saying nothing was wrong. I had X-rays and blood tests -- even a camera down my throat -- nothing showed up. Eventually, they offered me a CT scan. Two days later I was diagnosed with bowel cancer that had spread into my liver. Chemo may help, but there is no cure, and I will die from this.

Comment from: Eve, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am an 80 year old female. I had tight, full, hurting feeling all across my lower belly. (I'd gotten a prescription for pain for another problem - Tylenol 3 - which contains codeine.) Reading the prescription papers, I see that it is constipating, which confirmed my belief it was probably extreme constipation. I called my insurance nurse, expecting her to say to get an enema, but she said to get to the hospital, have them take a picture because it could be something else. I couldn't walk to the car as pain was so intense in walking, so we called an ambulance. CAT scans showed burst appendix, peritonitis, gangrene. Surgeons cleaned the poisons out. I spent a week in ICU. Now I'm well again.

Comment from: mtlobo2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had a cold and cough for about a month. After seeking medical attention and an X-ray, the doctor ordered a CT scan to be taken of my chest. I was led to believe that I had pneumonia. The CT scan showed an oval-shaped, soft tissue mass in the right upper lobe of my lung. At that time, I was told that I had lung cancer. A biopsy was performed and concluded that it was cancer. I then had a PET scan to see if the cancer had spread to any other areas of my body. The oval-shaped mass was removed in January of 2008. Because of the early detection found by the CT scan and the removal of the mass, I am now cancer-free. My cancer was Stage 1, which meant I did not have to have chemo or radiation treatments. Now, I have a CT scan done every three months. It has almost been a year, and the CT scan is responsible for the early detection.

Comment from: JaneF, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

A CT scan revealed sigmoid colitis when I was diagnosed with C Diff by stool sample.

Comment from: lisasho8, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have had a cough since December 2008, and I have been to several doctors. One told me my chest X-ray looked like I have sarcoidosis. Then another one told me that my trachea was damaged when I had bronchitis, which I never knew I had. So, in August, I decided to try someone out of town because I was still coughing and none of the meds worked. I did the PFT test and the doctor looked at my chest X-ray and gave me a CT scan. He called me back the next day and told me I had asthma, and I never knew I had it.

Comment from: Italian Princess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have stage IV non-smoker's lung cancer. I am going through chemo and have a CAT scan every six months. The contrast was spilled on my pants and ruined them, leaving three large spots and smaller ones that ate into my pants. If it did that to my pants, what did it do to my insides? Drink lots of water after a CAT scan to remove the dyes from your system. I am a vegan. I eat organic veggies, take supplements, eat mushrooms, tumeric, vitamin C, D, folic acid and drink lots of green tea. Keep your immune system up.

Comment from: Sue in P.A., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I recently had a CT scan because my doctor thought I had a kidney stone. His nurse suggested maybe it was an ovarian cyst. When I arrived to get my CT scan, I was just curious to see how big my kidney stone was. The CT scan showed I had diverticulitis. That turned my life (and my diet) upside down. I was so thankful my doctor ordered the CT scan so I can get on with my recovery.

Comment from: Judi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had several CAT scans that helped diagnose my diverticulitis. I went to the emergency room in bad pain and found that I had a perforation in my colon. I was immediately put in the hospital and had several others to see if the heavy antibiotics they gave me were helping to heal the perforation. Thank God they helped heal it. I am having another CT scan again soon as I'm having symptoms again. It's definitely a good thing to have when in doubt.

Comment from: Zoe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I suddenly developed a low pulse rate of around 36 bpm. A chest X-ray, EKG, and a CT scan found numerous small glass-like tumors. The radiologist thinks I have sarcoidosis affecting the heart, lungs, and liver. A tell-tale sign of impending disease was a sarcoid granuloma on my leg for a couple of years. The only problem was that the dermatologist who did a punch biopsy didn't warn me of possible complications, much to the disgust of my cardiologist. I now have a pacemaker that was implanted within two weeks of the CT scan.

Comment from: little bear, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had a suspected TIA and was advised to have a CAT scan by the neurologist. They did identify a minor infarction, which may have caused the TIA, with minor damage to an optic nerve. There was some talk of migraine with an aura and no pain, but boy am I getting headaches! It could be stress, as I am having counseling for anxiety. I hope that is it and not something sinister. I may get an MRI scan. I am on beta blocker low-dose aspirin and statins. I did have severe tension headaches many years ago and took Fiorinal. I am aged 69 now and have been fit ( I thought!) until now.

Comment from: Maroni, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had a rare form of bone cancer that was surgically removed. I had follow-up X-rays to check my lungs that always showed clear. Then, I had a CT scan that showed nodules in my lungs that didn't show up on the X-rays. It's a good thing it was caught in time.

Comment from: lulu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I recently suffered a head injury and a CT scan was ordered. I understand they found nothing, but the tomography report indicates "A calcification in the high right parietal area may indicate an underlying venous angioma." I

Comment from: A.N., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had an abdominal CT scan done as a follow-up to an ultrasound which had showed a suspicious "mass" in my right abdominal area. The CT scan showed diffuse mm. sized "specks" in my abdomen. The assumption was metastatic cancer-inoperable. A repeat CT scan 3 months later showed no change in the size of the mass or specks. I will be receiving another CT scan in 3 months.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was starting to lose weight. I went from a healthy 165 to a mere 118 lbs before deciding to see a Doctor I was diagnosed in January with non small cell cancer in my upper left lung. I went thru 10 months of chemo and radiation treatments. I've had numerous x rays, cat scans and pet scans since then. So far there has been no change to the mass which shrank from 11 1/2 centimeters to 5 1/2 centimeters. I was referred to a surgeon whom recommended that I have it removed surgically, but I declined. It has been 4 1/2 years since I've had anymore treatments, but I continue to have cat scans to keep an eye on the mass.

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I previously had a CT scan done because I was having abdominal pain. The CT scan showed that I possibly have a neoplasm in the urinary bladder. Also, it showed that I have a dropped clip from my cholecystectomy. And in the right, mid-abdomen, there is a small cluster of mildly dilated small bowl loops. I have to wonder how accurate the CT scan is. I had a cystoscope performed for the bladder that revealed no neoplasm. I am waiting on the results from the bowel X-ray study I just had performed.

Published: July 22

A CT scan showed that I had a 70% blockage in one of my arteries plus soft plaque in my arteries. The doctor immediately put me on Zocor and added another blood pressure medicine to slow my heart rate.

Published: June 30

A CT scan found my lung cancer, and one year later it found gallbladder stones. Just recently it found a nodule on my thyroid.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter