Patient Comments: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Diagnosis

Describe the exams that led to a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you think it was something else?

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My husband has just returned from a pain specialist. He's had issues with his thoracic spine for some time now and the issues have includes severe knots in his shoulder. Over the past couple of months he's developed severe pain and numbness that starts where the knot is, travels down his arm and into his thumb and two fingers. This specialist is saying he has carpal tunnel syndrome which makes no sense to me because he doesn't do repetitive motions, he does have the symptoms of carpal tunnel including muscle atrophy, burning sensation and severe pain along with numbness tingling, etc. What I don't get is if the pain is starting in his back/shoulder and travelling down, not up then how can this not be related to his original injury in his spine which would be about C7-8 down to T7.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes Question: Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors